PDA

View Full Version : Selective amnesia

gibbspaulus
03-10-2002, 07:59 AM
Okay, it's possibly been done to the deathalready but here goes.

I've seen the 'why doesn't 3PO recognise Ben stuff, but has anyone asked why Owen and Beru don't recognise R2D2. Or maybe R2 units are easy to mix up? Oh My God - the Lars are droidist! A bad case of 'They all looked the same to me'?:rolleyes:

Okay, any other answers; daft or otherwise

Rollo Tomassi
03-10-2002, 08:33 AM
There are billions of Astromech droids in use in the galaxy. I'm sure R2's blue and white paint scheme is not unique. And it's been twenty years. That's like asking why you didn't recognize a specific gray '96 Ford Taurus ten years from now.

gibbspaulus
03-10-2002, 09:40 AM
That was the theory i was thinking of following.

Jargo
03-10-2002, 12:41 PM
Or more like recognising the exact vaccuum cleaner you owned as a student all those years ago. Or maybe they were just too interested in each other back when to notice some dumb droid. From the pics they seem pretty rapt about each other as young twenty-somethings. Young love being what it is and having to tend to a disabled father/in law full time must take their attention away from servant machines somewhat. not to mention running a moisture farm. Too busy to notice is my hypothesis. :)

2-1B
03-10-2002, 12:49 PM
Jargo, your new avatar is sheer genius :)
Wonderful !!! :D :D :D

About these droids, as an audience member I see R2 as a character, but to Owen I agree it's just another tool. That and there's nothing unique about his appearance, as Rollo stated :)

Dar' Argol
03-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
There are billions of Astromech droids in use in the galaxy. I'm sure R2's blue and white paint scheme is not unique.

In fact it was done b/4. If you look closely at the R2'2 in the Queens ship you'll see on. More specifically, right b/4 R2-D2 goes up the shaft for repairs, he bumps into Jar Jar. The driod that goes up the shaft right b/4 our lovable driod is a blue and white R2.

At least I'm pretty sure he was blue/white. It could have been my color on the TV. :rolleyes:

Jargo
03-10-2002, 04:55 PM
Royal starship droid pool:

R2-R9 - red with white markings
R2-B1 - blue with yellow markings
R2-D2 - white with blue markings
R2-A6 - white with green markings
R2-?? - white with yellow markings
R5-A7 - white with yellow markings (?)

There's a couple more but I can't remember their colours. There's a total of eight power harnesses in the droid pool. Ergo - eight droids. :D The one you saw D'ar was probably R2-A6 the green looking blue in the odd lighting of the scene or the bad way the film was transferred to video. My copy just looks washed out and grey mostly.

AreTwo-DeeTwo
03-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Plus, I don't think Anakin, Padme and R2-D2 are even with the Lars for a very long time period either. A couple days if that I'd assume. They are not going to remember some droid 20 years later. Also, it's a movie plain and simple! PG aimed for kids. Best to not look to deep when it comes to Star Wars. Even though it is kind of fun :)

Dar' Argol
03-10-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO

There's a couple more but I can't remember their colours. There's a total of eight power harnesses in the droid pool. Ergo - eight droids. :D The one you saw D'ar was probably R2-A6 the green looking blue in the odd lighting of the scene or the bad way the film was transferred to video. My copy just looks washed out and grey mostly.

I didn't know if it was blue or green, it looked blue. Anyway, thanks for the correction E-Jargo. BTW, love the new Avatar!!! I thought the Jar Jar was good but this made me laugh out loud:D. Then my daughter looked at me weird:stupid:

he he he . . . . .naked ewok . . . . . he he he

:eek:NAKED EWOK!?!?!?!?!?!?!

LTBasker
03-10-2002, 07:33 PM
Maybe Owen and Beru had their memorys wiped of any knowledge regarding those two droids. :eek: Or they could've just figured it was just any other droids and their memories had probably been replaced long ago. Quite a hole Lucas is digging, hope he seals it up by/in E3.

jblodgett
03-10-2002, 08:14 PM
In ANH-- did Owen ever even LOOK at R2??

I mean he said "What about that one? What about the blue one?" to the jawa-- and that was about it. Then Luke took them to the garage and started cleaning them up.

It is very possible that Owen DID recognize R2-- because he immediately told Luke that he wanted Luke to take the droids and have their memories wiped the next day. And-- Owen initially wanted the R5 unit- rather than R2. Maybe he DID recognize R2 and didn't want to take any chances?

Sidiously Darth
03-10-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by jblodgett
In ANH-- did Owen ever even LOOK at R2??

I mean he said "What about that one? What about the blue one?" to the jawa-- and that was about it. Then Luke took them to the garage and started cleaning them up.

It is very possible that Owen DID recognize R2-- because he immediately told Luke that he wanted Luke to take the droids and have their memories wiped the next day. And-- Owen initially wanted the R5 unit- rather than R2. Maybe he DID recognize R2 and didn't want to take any chances?

I like the way you're thinking jblodgett!

Or...we're just reading more into this than there really is.

20 Years is a long time to remember a droid.:rolleyes:

master jedi
03-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO

And don't the r3 units have clear domes with the different colors on 'em?

2-1B
03-10-2002, 10:48 PM
I don't believe Owen recognized the lil guy, it's just that he was worried because R2 was spouting off about Obi-Wan Kenobi. :)