PDA

View Full Version : Air superiority

Rollo Tomassi
03-10-2002, 09:54 AM
In the big battle between the Gungans and the TFA, what happened to all the STAPS? I think a bunch of those would have given the TFA a distinct advantage in slaughtering the flop eared frogs. So where were they?

stillakid
03-10-2002, 10:34 AM
Clearly they were, ah, um...geez, this is a question for one of those guys who manages to rationalize all the bad writing in TPM. How 'bout it boys? What's your excuse for this one?:)

Pendo
03-10-2002, 12:04 PM
The TF were having technical problems and all their STAPS had broken down. ;)

PENDO!

2-1B
03-10-2002, 12:47 PM
It would have made for a nice contrast, the swift and mechanical STAPs vs. the living kaadus.

Rollo Tomassi
03-10-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Clearly they were, ah, um...geez, this is a question for one of those guys who manages to rationalize all the bad writing in TPM. How 'bout it boys? What's your excuse for this one?:)

Well, I know the answer from the movie making aspect. George wanted to have the "flying whales" (like he does in every movie and finally wedged them into AOTC) and have Gungans riding them. Thus you could have some frantic, chaotic Flying Gungan vs. STAP sequences in the big battle, but when the whales got nixed, the STAPS would have nothing to fight so they got nixed as well. It still doesn't explain where the STAPS are in terms of the fictional universe (the FU?;)). Hmmm...maybe in the SpecEd of TPM we'll get some juicy STAP attackage.

Lord Malakite
03-10-2002, 01:13 PM
Colonel Sanders, Taco Bell Dog, and Pizza Hut Girl took care of them. Remember the commercials. ;)

stillakid
03-10-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

Hmmm...maybe in the SpecEd of TPM we'll get some juicy STAP attackage.

Right there with the B-Wings in the FU Universe. Oops, that's redundant.:rolleyes:

JediTricks
03-10-2002, 02:07 PM
I think the STAPs are used by the Battle Droids to chase individuals down and for patrolling, but the Trade Federation knew exactly where to find the enemy forces, who were all standing in one place - thus, no need to chase people down or patrol the area.

(Really it's just a showing of the gimmicky nature of Ep 1)

Bel-Cam Jos
03-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Wasn't there a comment about an army massing in the swamps? Maybe due to the watery terrain, Nute sent all the STAPs there to check on things, and the AATs and foot Droids to the grassy plain.

Or they saw a sign that said "Naboo Battle Left" and they went home. :p

Or they had bananas in their tailpiles. "Eh heh-heh heh-heh."

Or the green boxes and red boxes were fighting over variations.

Or someone left the radio on overnight and the batteries got drained.

Or there'll be a new Special Edition DVD that puts the scene in.

2-1B
03-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Or they saw a sign that said "Naboo Battle Left" and they went home. :p

Bel-Cam, that's a great Deep Thought ! :D

I guess we could explain that the STAPS were off searching for those "rumored underwater villages" :rolleyes:

:)

LTBasker
03-12-2002, 03:48 PM
They went to look for the underwater villages, they had everything they needed except for one thing; Water-Proofness. :eek:

Wolfwood319
03-12-2002, 04:36 PM
Because Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were in the swamp water, when the STAPs got close to the water, they were infected with Midichloreans. The midichloreans, knowing that STAPs in the upcoming battle would give the TF a distinct advantage, they disabled all the STAPs before the battle.

That actually, kind of makes sense............no, wait, it doesn't, nevermind

mark2d2
03-12-2002, 06:35 PM
Wow. Yet another flaw in TPM. Wonder how many others I haven't thought of.

stillakid
03-12-2002, 06:39 PM
Does your DVD player have frame by frame capabilities? How much time do you have? :)

Starfig873
03-14-2002, 12:30 PM
*laughs* another flaw? I don't consider it a flaw...although it would have been reeeeally nice to see these things in a bit more of a battle. :)