PDA

View Full Version : I want to see Anakin Skywalker, "the best starpilot in the galaxy."

2-1B
03-10-2002, 04:09 PM
To me it isn't enough that we've seen him in a podrace, a lucky Droid Control Ship attack, and (soon) a speeder chase through the city. I want to see the real deal, Anakin in a legitimately realized space battle. But we're running out of time, aren't we? ;) It's just a thought, but I would like Episode III to open with a pan down into a raging space battle, with Anakin as the hotshot who scores the victory on the side of the (good guy) Republic. And then his fall can continue from there.

Or do you disagree? Do you believe Old Ben's assessment of Anakin as the "best" has been satisfactorily addressed on screen?

Am I omitting some things from AOTC? Maybe he pilots Padme's ship to Geonosis? I'm not sure . . .

There's some great plot discussion going on in Mace's Death, I just didn't want to interrupt with this thought - so I'm asking for your opinions here :)

SithDroid
03-10-2002, 05:08 PM
I agree. We haven't seen him in a real space battle at all yet. I would like to see him facing amazing odds and to overcome them. Hopefully we will see this on the screen or I guess we are just supposed to assume that it takes place sometime between the individual movies.

Rollo Tomassi
03-11-2002, 12:22 AM
I agree. if we don't see some "hotshot piloting" in Episode III, that line is going to seem out of place in the OT.

"the best starpilot in the galaxy."? What Prequel Trilogy did you watch, Obi?

I liked Caesar's theory about opening III with a massive space/ground battle with Anakin in the air and Bail Organa and Obi Wan on the ground.

JetsAndHeels
03-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Sure Anakin has showed a little skill, but nothing to give him the title as the best....
From the trailer we have just seen and other info, Obi Wan is the one who does the hotshot piloting, zipping past asteroids and dodging Jango's attacks while in his Jedi Starfighter.
Unless Anakin does something pretty impressive in AOTC or EPIII, I cant say I agree with old Obi Wan about him being the best.

Jedi Clint
03-11-2002, 05:30 PM
This is a story that spans around 3 decades, there will be some things we see, and others we do not. Obi Wan was filling Luke full of whatever he thought the lad wanted to hear, so that Luke would follow him on an adventure.

Darth Ovori
04-29-2002, 10:16 AM
Obi-wan says it in ANH, and in E2 Anakin doe'snt even go near a JEdi Star Fighter...

So I'm hoping will see his skills in dog fights for E3...

Eternal Padawan
04-30-2002, 01:05 AM
We seem to see Obi Wan as a hotshot pilot in the next film. Perhaps Ben is getting senile and mistakes his own exploits for Anakins...:rolleyes:

2-1B
04-30-2002, 01:11 AM
Yeah, maybe Ben is a compulsive liar for no apparent reason, and he habitually has to "steal" others' stories in inflate his own self worth.

Kinda like a coworker who always takes credit for a job well done . . .

About the thread topic though, I dunno - maybe I am not giving the chase sequence enough credit. The book version is thrilling, and listening to the soundtrack during that part enhanced my imagination. Plus, we may get to see him landing the ship pretty hard on Tatooine . . . I never really thought about the fact that he would pilot Padme and himself around in this next film.

Megs 2
06-20-2002, 09:46 AM
Will we see the best starfighter pilot in the galaxy (A. Skywalker/D. Vader) hunt/chase down the Jedi(s) in his own starfighter in Ep. III? I would like to see some space dog chase scenes in Ep. III w/Vader.

saladin
06-20-2002, 12:53 PM
that would be cool but whoi knows what will happen , we knows he probably has his own since Obi say's he's one of the greatest pilots.

Eternal Padawan
06-20-2002, 05:12 PM
I suppose Anakin's superior flying skills could be reflected in his hotshot Coruscant chase, and it's implied that Anakin did some groovy things with a startfighter between TPM and AOTC, but wouldn't you rather see Anakin whup some tushie in space in Episode III.

Eternal Padawan
06-20-2002, 05:16 PM
He said ANAKIN was the best pilot he'd seen. Not Vader. As far as Obi Wan knows Vader sucks in the cockpit of a starship. So if we're going to see any "hotshot" piloting in Episode III (at least, based on what was said in ANH) it'll be Anakin doing the flying, not DV.

saladin
06-20-2002, 09:06 PM
ya thats true since he went barreling out of control in his tie, not to mention needed help to take down the x-wings.

jawaboy
06-22-2002, 12:54 PM
Actually, doesn't he say "when I first met your father, he was already one of the best starpilots" or something close to that. I'm afraid we've already seen his piloting skills based on that alone. They first met in TPM and he his so-called "piloting" saved the day. I know, it sucks but I doubt we'll see much piloting. Maybe in the beginning of the movie, but probably not at the end.

jawaboy
06-22-2002, 12:55 PM
Also, is it possible for a moderator to downgrade me from a Padawan to a Moisture Farmer? There is great humility in being a moisture farmer....I long for those days once again...

hango fett
06-25-2002, 02:20 PM
i agree! that would be a cool opening shot!
peace
hango

scruffziller
06-25-2002, 06:39 PM
I think we have seen it already and that is why Obi hates flying because he already knows all the daredevil tricks that Anikin does.:cool:

TIE Pilot
06-25-2002, 07:17 PM
Yes, Obi-Wan ~did~ say Luke's dad was "the best star pilot in the galaxy". But old Ben also said Owen Lars was his brother.

You just can't trust that crazy old hermit :)

jedibear
07-05-2002, 01:43 AM
While I agree that it would be really cool to see some STAR wars in the prequels (some genuine space battles on the scale of ROTJ) within the clone wars, I don't know how that will work into the story of EpIII...so far all that's confirmed is that it takes place about two years after EpII so...since Yoda declared "begun this clone war has" at the end of AOTC, we can pretty much bet that EpIII opens with the war really blazing away....and that Anakin, by marrying Padme, has been "expelled from the Jedi Order" (as in the warning shouted at him by Kenobi in AOTC).
Unless some quick event in the beginning of EpIII addresses this somehow, I'd guess Anakin is off either at the lake retreat with his beloved Amidala (or maybe on Tatooine with his stepbrother and his new wife) and not being the best star pilot in the galaxy..unless!! He IS a pilot running spice from the mines of Kessell and by circumstance (manipulations of Palpy, requests of his old master Kenobi) somehow ends up fighting with the Jedi again....THEN maybe we'll see him as the great star pilot he is......

Jedi Clint
07-05-2002, 06:41 PM
Kenobi warned him that if he were to have the gunship put down so he could run back to Padme, he would be expelled. They aren't going to expel the chosen one because he got hitched....especially if he and Padme keep it a secret. Anakin will be right in the thick of the conclusion of the clone wars at the beginning of the film fighting for the Republic.

2-1B
01-23-2003, 04:00 AM
I was reading the spy report with Gavin Bocquet referring to a new ship for one of the heroes, maybe it's Ani's ship?

mini-rock
01-25-2003, 02:50 PM
I bet it is Caesar.

Everyone makes to much of lines that were spoken in the OT that they feel need to be explained in the PT. Do we really need to see Anakin be "the best star pilot in the galaxy"? Or do we really need to see Anakin turning to the darkside? If GL were to explain every single line in the OT just so SW fans could understand or have visual confirmation (instead of using thier imaginations) he would have to make a 10 hour episode to fit everything in. There are more important things going on in these films than Anakin being the best star pilot. We already know the boy has skills as a pilot, with a lightsaber, and with the force. The next film will focus on Anakins turn to the darkside and that is what this story is about.

Fulit
01-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Ah, it's just proof that Old Ben disowns the prequels. He's a prequel-hater.

scruffziller
11-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Well I think it is safe to say that Caesar's wish was fulfilled in Clone Wars Chapter 10.:happy:

2-1B
11-22-2003, 10:36 PM
Well I think it is safe to say that Caesar's wish was fulfilled in Clone Wars Chapter 10.:happy:

Nope.
Sorry.
It's not safe to say that.
I don't care much for EU and CW is certainly some baaaaaad EU. :D

Thanks for pulling this thread back up, I'd like to answer my question from March of last year. The Coruscant Chase is AWESOME and I really believe it lends to Anakin's status as a great pilot. Still, I want to see more and if those early E3 reports are semi-true, we may get to see Ani romping around in outer space as they go after Palpatine ! ! ! :happy:

scruffziller
11-23-2003, 03:39 PM
It's not safe to say that.

What danger did I stumble in.....:(

Nope.
Sorry.
Okay, Okay let me rephrase........
It is the closest thing we have seen so far.

I don't care much for EU and CW is certainly some baaaaaad EU. :D
How so?:cry: