PDA

View Full Version : My interview with "Klaatu"

bigbarada
12-16-2012, 06:52 PM
I recently had a chance to talk to John Simpkin, the guy who played Klaatu in Jabba's Palace. He was nice enough to let me ask him a few questions about his experiences during the filming of ROTJ.

Here is the link to the interview (a little ways down the page after all the screenshots):
http://www.skiffguards.com/klaatu.html

JediTricks
12-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Very nifty, congrats on a nice get there.

Surprised to hear extreme cold is worse than extreme heat in a costume head.

Is the '99 Klaatu's skirt able to be rotated into the correct orientation? It looks like it, but mine is still packed away.

Huh, he was a double for Mel Gibson in Hamlet. I really liked that version of Hamlet, it actually spoke to the character and scenario in a way that other versions only felt stagey.

bigbarada
12-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Yeah, it's pretty cool. It kind of takes the site to a different level, which is great because the webhosting account is coming up for renewal soon and I was starting to wonder if there was any real point in keeping the site up. So, it's kind of reenergized me a bit.

I've actually never seen the Mel Gibson Hamlet, but now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen any version of Hamlet.

Oh yeah, and the POTF2 Klaatu's skirt is reversible. I went and dug it out to check after reading your post.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Very cool. Nice work!

I actually have two Klaatu figures thanks to those figures being released in a TRU four-pack . . . I need to remember to switch the skirt on the one in Jabba's palace now. :p

Snowtrooper
12-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Great job on the interview BigB. Alot of times, the background people are usually forgotten from historic films, so its always nice to hear from them and get their unique perspectives.