PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of the 4th and newest of the Episode 2 Trailers?

Tycho
03-10-2002, 09:17 PM
The 4th trailer for Episode 2: Attack of the Clones just debuted!

For the first time, a Star Wars movie trailer has made its initial appearance on television, followed immediately thereafter by becaming available for download on The Official Site (http://www.starwars.com).

Have you seen it? If so, we'd like to hear what you think!

Let's talk about the 4th and newest of the Episode 2 Trailers!

Post away!

Do not discuss spoilers in this thread - please stick to the information presented in the trailers - Thanks!

Hasbro Attack of the Clones Toys section
Episode Two Spoilers
Episode Three Spoilers

are all sections where you can discuss any spoiler you want. I know this trailer tempts to confirm some rumors. It will be a pleasure talking to all of you in whichever section you choose to venture into.

Now, On to the Clone Wars!

Wolfwood319
03-10-2002, 09:29 PM
The action in this trailer looked good, better than any other trailer up to this point. Some cgi stuff looks horrid, and the dialogue spoken in this trailer was absolutely horrendus. Not a single actor in that movie, with the exception of Christopher Lee, can deliver a line of dialogue, from what I've seen in the trailers.

master jedi
03-10-2002, 09:32 PM
I think I wet myself.

Dar' Argol
03-10-2002, 09:38 PM
I'll grab some depends for you and myself Master Jedi!!! I was blown away! It looks like this is going to be a good action SW movie. Better then the short saber battle in TPM. I am drooling in aticipation of the movie. . . . . . . . . (can someone get me a napkin, . . . . . . . . or a bowl??)

plo koon 200
03-10-2002, 09:55 PM
Amazing! This proves that this will be a great movie. Not like any of the other Star Wars but closest to TPM. Starting to look a lot like the older ones. Makes TPM look like crap. I cannot wait to get my Quicktiem working again so I can watch it online.:crazed:

JediDan
03-10-2002, 10:22 PM
OH YEAH!! Everyone time they release a new trailer it's gets harder and harder to wait for the films release. NOW I am so excited it's getting unbearable. The action sequences look awesome, as does Padme (Amidala) :kiss: only two longs months to go. :cry:

Does anyone know a website where I can actually download the new trailer?? The official site just lets me watch it not download it.

Starfig873
03-10-2002, 10:28 PM
Wowee, this movie is going to be GREAT fun! :D

Amanamike
03-10-2002, 10:44 PM
HOLY HELL!!!!!!!!!!!:stupid: That was so good!! I cant believe how good that looks, now I definitely cnat wait to see it.Illbe inline for the midnight showing of it on May15th

stillakid
03-10-2002, 11:04 PM
Meshed together with the other soap-opera sequences, it looks like a decent mix of something actually happening onscreen interspersed with a fair amount of action (unlike TPM which was laden with too many drawn out and boring sequences). As always, the Star Wars films look great, but the devil is in the details. No mention of Midichlorians in any of the trailers, I've noticed.

Sticking to production design, I'm not crazy about that little fighter that Obi Wan zips around in. Too sci-fi cheesy. But I'm kinda diggin' the pre-Star Destroyers and the other pre-walker thingies. I couldn't tell what the demonic munchkin creatures were even though they seemed to be a featured new enemy of some kind. Looks like GL bought a copy of The Fifth Element and lifted the multi-leveled "traffic" sequence from it.

Overall, not bad. No one single "image" or shot stood out in contrast to the really good TPM trailers that had some fantastic memorable moments.

I'm fighting the urge to "look forward to the movie" because I don't want to get my hopes up only to get let down again. But this trailer has me more interested than I've been in a while.

2-1B
03-10-2002, 11:18 PM
My vote: It was good :)

The first time watching it, I was wary of the CGI Yoda, but he was easer to take after watching it another 5 times.

Dooku looks great, and I think Obi-Wan is going to be teriffic! I'm still really excited about Anakin's character, there's a lot of potential there.

stillakid, nothing really "stood out" at me either, and I'm hoping that's a good sign because those TPM trailers really did a number on me, getting me excited for scenes that didn't live up to the expectations I had from the trailers.

Starfig 873, I share your sentiments exactly :)

rdrunr89
03-10-2002, 11:22 PM
SUHHHHHHHHHWWEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT!!!!!!

Thats all I got to say. I do agree (someone mentioned) that a few of the CGI scenes looked pretty bad, but this definitely looks like its going to be one awesome movie. Might take over from Empire as being my favorite...I know too early to tell. =)

Is it May 16th yet?

dr_evazan22
03-10-2002, 11:32 PM
Overall I loved the trailer, and like most of you I can't wait for the new movie.

After seeing the new AT-AT-thingie, I'm dying to get my hands on a toy of that! And those gunships looked great! It was neat to see R2 w/ the rockets; we've had the fig for 3 years now. But, I have to say, there was a point when it looked like I was watching a commercial for a video game, when Padme jumps thru the machinery (I guess that was in the droid factory). Maybe that happens right before 2 levels before the really big boss level: Get thru the factory level to the Arena; after making it thru the Arena you are Anakin facing the Boss, Darth Tyrannus.

Speaking of him, Christopher Lee looked and sounded great! The dialogue he spoke sounded so much like Vader's attempt to get Luke to turn in ESB.

How many days left? 67? I can'T WAIT!

CaptainSolo1138
03-10-2002, 11:44 PM
"It's on! Shut up!!" That was the last thing my girlfriend heard from me for two minutes or so. That was so frickin' awesome!!! The walker thingies, the battlin' Jedis, Chancellor Palpatine and Anakin talkin about his future, Natalie Portman in tight clothes...oops...did I type that? Anyway, I am so ready for this movie! Some of the CG was kinda bad. Some of the acting was really bad. But come on. Who cares. It's Star Wars!

Tycho
03-11-2002, 12:19 AM
Honestly, I liked the Forbidden Love trailer best, but this ranks in a close second. But I think the passion in the story is behind the romantic plot - a big part of the motivation for Anakin to stray from the Jedi path.

His leap from the speeder during the Coruscant chase sequence bothered me. Foresight into the future, a danger sense - etc. a little of that I can perceive a Jedi having. How Anakin knows exactly where [someone's] speeder is going to be when he jumps is beyond the capabilities of what we've seen Jedi be able to do. It seems put in there to contrive a comical sequence so Obi-Wan can say "I hate it when he does that" and we all think it's as funny as The Simpsons. Not. (and didn't Ewan say "George, please don't make say that line. I'm a better actor than this! How about 'Black Hawk Down! Black Hawk Down!'"

Anyway I might point out that in the Expanded Universe (Rogue Planet novel) Anakin is into "Garbage Chute Racing" which involves skydiving on Coruscant (but more like hang-gliding with a rocket pack). Just the same, while it might explain how Obi-Wan actually has experience with Anakin taking this kind of action to say he hates it when Anakin does that, to anyone who isn't into the books, this will be news to them and still, the comedic punch line to the scene is forced, in my opinion. The book background helps me enjoy it more than some of you would.

Meanwhile, I'm aching to see more of the dialogue between Obi-Wan and Jango in Fett's apartment!

Queen Katharine Leah
03-11-2002, 12:21 AM
I'll be honest. When I saw it, I thought it was third best, behind forbidden love and mystery. The CG Yoda looks really screwy, and the angle they shoot Mace swinging his saber makes him look like an eight-foot- tall football player.

I also wasn't crazy about the third musical suite, which I didn't recognize from the previous films.
(Any help there would be hot...)

I also thought Padme was inside the old Nintendo CONTRA game when hopping through the conveyer belt.

Then I watched it another ten times. I feel better about it, and of course, the action sequences are sweet!

I do agree with many of you that dialogue lines seemed flat. (Ani: ...I forgot you don't like flying...)

Ani levatating the sphere was sweet, and Dooku's lines to Obi Wan were great! I liked Obi Wan swinging his saber left to right to left, deflecting blaster shots. Ani with two sabers looks promising...

The last shot of the circle of Jedis is what has left me breathless.

Still, it's not my favorite of the Ep II trailers. Love is.

jedihunter25
03-11-2002, 12:24 AM
That was amazing!!! I can't wait any longer for the movie to come out!! It's driving me crazy!! I video taped it and I will probly watch it 20 times tonight as soon as my girlfriend goes to bed (she won't let me rewind,play,rewind,play now.) It is way better than the other trailers. I think the movie is going to blow Episode I away.:crazed:

Darth Yambag
03-11-2002, 12:25 AM
The Darkness of the Saga has begun, recless is the young one, one will rise up, a new hope is a twinkle in the eye

:crazed:

Where was little Boba? More importantly, where was Beru?

That bug that tore off Padme's shirt is my Hero, but the little fuzzball with claws has more work to do. How bout some assless chaps for Padme. That will turn a reckless youth into an impulsive state.

Where is R3-t7? How can Hasbro push their bad choice for a preview figure with out a trailer cameo?

In Episode #3 "Revenge of the Sith", will Kamino be the source of a battle or is this world this trilogy's Bespin?Hope not, those waves were too cool.

Darth Yambag
03-11-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by master jedi
I think I wet myself. Revenge of the Sith EPISODE III

You knew, the word "revenge" would make it back, and the Sith are into revenge.

mark2d2
03-11-2002, 12:43 AM
Clearly, I am alone in this. But I really DID NOT like this trailer. And I was really blown away by all the others thus far. This one not only left me unmoved --- I felt a sudden sense of dread. Dear God No! It's The Phantom Menace all over again . . .

Everything just looked incredibly fake. From Yoda. To the CGI backgrounds and most of the creatures. It just doesn't look REAL at all. Nothing looks real. Nothing looks like it exists. The CGI wasn't much better than the graphics on my Ibook Nanosaur Game. Just fake. Fake. FAKE!!!

And the acting was, well --- can I really call it acting? The line readings were flat and lifeless. Dull. Dull. Dull. Like a coldreading. (For those not in the BIZ a cold reading is when actor auditions after only a few moments to look over the script...) It all goes back to the writing which was very cheesy and just not very memorable . . .

Clouded this film's future is. I sense much mediocrity in you . . .

2-1B
03-11-2002, 12:46 AM
I was glad to hear Jango speaking in a voice nowhere near that horrid voice he used on the Entertainment Tonight segment a few weeks back.

I thought the dialogue between he and Obi-Wan was alright (I know, it was only 1 line each ;) )

Darth Yambag
03-11-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2

Everything just looked incredibly fake. From Yoda. To the CGI backgrounds and most of the creatures. It just doesn't look REAL at all. Nothing looks real. Nothing looks like it exists.

And the acting was, well --- can I really call it acting? The line readings were flat and lifeless. Dull. Dull. Dull. Like a coldreading. (For those not in the BIZ a cold reading is when actor auditions after only a few moments to look over the script...) It all goes back to the writing which was very cheesy and just not very memorable . . .

Just to fill you in, Yoda isn't real, so if he looks that way, just like the puppet in ESB, its because it is what we in the BIZ call "make believe." The dialoge in ANH was very poor, and it was the greatest movie of all time. For us fans, let the Saga continue!!!

This post was edited by the moderator. There will be zero tolerance of people attacking other people in these forums. If you want to debate something somebody said, DO IT! Do not stoop to personal attacks just because you're passionate about an issue one way or another!

mark2d2
03-11-2002, 01:13 AM
Darth Yambag.

Well, excuse me for actually wanting the films to be good. Uh, yeah thanks, I think I know Yoda isn't real, but did he have to look like he wandered in from the movie Toy Story? I don't think so. If something ain't broke, don't fix it. Why even waste my time . . .

But what ever issue you have, why defend this by slagging ANH? I don't get.

It's just I'd just like the Prequels to have lines of dialogue the don't sound like they were written by JarJar Binks. Surely, there are dozens of wannabes on this very board who could have done a better job than what was in the trailer. It was just flat. Sorry. I stand by my opinion.

This post also had to be adjusted due to an understandably aggravated rebuttal to the previous one. Again, make your points about Star Wars. Most forum users here don't know another member well enough to have any business discussing them. In the next couple of posts that follow, more users step in because they were upset by the exchange that took place here. Those people came here to discuss Star Wars, not speculate on each others' social dispositions. Warnings have been sent to the offenders.

PS -- Since when is Obiwan afraid of flying? This is the kind of silly jokey dialogue that has me worried. Besides, wouldn't this fear of flying have come up in Episode I?

CaptainSolo1138
03-11-2002, 01:22 AM
Ummm...the last time I checked this wasn't a ****-and-moan forum. No one except the two of you care. Enough. That [stuff is] disrespectful to the rest of us.

2-1B
03-11-2002, 01:28 AM
*cough* see "Respect other forums users' rights" announcement at the beginning of every forum section *end cough*

ConvergeDW
03-11-2002, 01:33 AM
I agree with Mark2D2, I thought it was pretty weak, I am no longer anticipating it the way I once was.

obi-dad
03-11-2002, 01:34 AM
I didn't feel it was quite as bad as some have said, but I did like Forbidden Love better. I'm not sure what it was about it. I definitely would like fewer and longer scenes and possibly more dialogue. Course, I only saw it twice before coming into work, so maybe my feelings will change when I can sit down and examine it.

stillakid
03-11-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Honestly, I liked the Forbidden Love trailer best, but this ranks in a close second. But I think the passion in the story is behind the romantic plot - a big part of the motivation for Anakin to stray from the Jedi path.

His leap from the speeder during the Coruscant chase sequence bothered me. Foresight into the future, a danger sense - etc. a little of that I can perceive a Jedi having. How Anakin knows exactly where Zam's speeder is going to be when he jumps is beyond the capabilities of what we've seen Jedi be able to do. It seems put in there to contrive a comical sequence so Obi-Wan can say "I hate it when he does that" and we all think it's as funny as The Simpsons. Not. (and didn't Ewan say "George, please don't make say that line. I'm a better actor than this! How about 'Black Hawk Down! Black Hawk Down!'"

Anyway I might point out that in the Expanded Universe (Rogue Planet novel) Anakin is into "Garbage Chute Racing" which involves skydiving on Coruscant (but more like hang-gliding with a rocket pack). Just the same, while it might explain how Obi-Wan actually has experience with Anakin taking this kind of action to say he hates it when Anakin does that, to anyone who isn't into the books, this will be news to them and still, the comedic punch line to the scene is forced, in my opinion. The book background helps me enjoy it more than some of you would.

Meanwhile, I'm aching to see more of the dialogue between Obi-Wan and Jango in Fett's apartment!

Honestly, is there no place that is safe from "spoilers" anywhere at sirstevesguide.com?

But really, Tycho, you're on staff. You should be "moderating" yourself. I can only hope that SirSteve Staff slaps JarJar's hands every once in a while for showing off spoiler prowess, but you guys really need to watch yourselves a little closer. Everyone else has managed to talk about the trailers without "divulging" any further hearsay. Thank you for your understanding.

I am going to try and understand, Stillakid (see my reply below), but I need to point out there is no reason to bring JarJar into this. You can debate spoilers with me in this context, but JarJar hadn't committed any offense here in this thread until he responded to your comment. Please help someone correct their ways. It doesn't help if you make a negative comment about how you expect someone else to behave. Tell them when you think something is wrong. You are telling me, and I will wait to read what other readers have to say [if I gave spoilers away in my post that cannot be derived from the trailers we've already seen]. -Tycho

jedibear
03-11-2002, 03:11 AM
....get me even more stoked for this movie!

Ole' Rick McM was actually right about one thing during on of his little press junkets recently...this chapter will look like no othe in the saga.

I love the rich tones of Geonosis, the deep reds throughout the film and just the general darkness this time around. TPM was just the introduction..now the story is on a roll.

The whole arena final battle thing looks fantastic...great looking machines and ships. I also love the "flying monkey"- like Geonosians. Was hoping for a quick glimpse of the Kaminos this time around, but I also understand the need to keep SOME things a surprise for us.

C'mon, may 16th....

Beast
03-11-2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
Honestly, is there no place that is safe from "spoilers" anywhere at sirstevesguide.com? But really, Tycho, you're on staff. You should be "moderating" yourself. I can only hope that SirSteve Staff slaps JarJar's hands every once in a while for showing off spoiler prowess, but you guys really need to watch yourselves a little closer. Everyone else has managed to talk about the trailers without "divulging" any further hearsay. Thank you for your understanding.
No, Sir Steve's Staff does not slap my hands, and its pretty rude of you to think that I need it. Infact I have received private messages from a couple of them, praising me and to ignore comments like yours. Of course, I choose to defend myself this time about it, because your remark was way out of line.

JarJar, in this particular case, SSG Staff IS slapping your hands: everyone is entitled to their opinion about spoilers, but no spoiler offense was really committed here. The issue Stillakid is taking is with me though, and your name should not have been brought up. But you also need not defend yourself to the degree you took it to. -Tycho

By the way, 99% of the time, other then the one posting I accidently placed in an Episode 1 thread about if Palpatine and Sidious are the same person, I have kept my spoilers confined to 2 areas. The Attack of the Clones: Spoiler section and the Attack of the Clones: Toys section. The two places that were flagged ok for spoilers.

Besides, this is a thread discussing the trailer, what do you expect people to say? "Oh, that nameless thing with the nameless thing in the trailer is so cool" It's discussing a trailer, for the movie. Spoilers are evident in the trailer it's self, and as long as you are discussing the trailer, you leave yourself open to seeing them. Just relax dude, if you were really wishing to remain spoiler free you wouldn't be watching the trailers even. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
03-11-2002, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by stillakid

Honestly, is there no place that is safe from "spoilers" anywhere at sirstevesguide.com?

But really, Tycho, you're on staff. You should be "moderating" yourself. I can only hope that SirSteve Staff slaps JarJar's hands every once in a while for showing off spoiler prowess, but you guys really need to watch yourselves a little closer. Everyone else has managed to talk about the trailers without "divulging" any further hearsay. Thank you for your understanding.

What spoilers? "Rogue Planet?" The book's been out for 2 years now, I think. Why Anakin jumps out of a speeder? Well when you've looked at Hasbro's speeder chase toys, and Lego's, and heard Obi-Wan order "Follow that speeder!" in the Mystery Trailer, and possibly another, is there any question about what Anakin and Obi-Wan are doing? (please somebody else also chime in on this issue) And why in the world would Anakin jump out of the speeder in the middle of a chase if that wasn't the objective? Did he spot "Crusty Burgers" and decide he was suddenly hungry? Finally, you can clearly see that Anakin does not have a jet pack on him, as in the novel Rogue Planet. The sport of Garbage Chute Racing as it is described in the book is also highly illegal. In the novel, Mace forced Obi-Wan to discipline his then 12-year-old Padawan and "clip his wings" so to speak. Anakin isn't allowed to have jet packs anymore - at least that could be insinuated by the Expanded Universe.

Beast
03-11-2002, 03:37 AM
Why Anakin jumps out of a speeder? Well when you've looked at Hasbro's speeder chase toys, and Lego's, and heard Obi-Wan order "Follow that speeder!" in the Mystery Trailer, and possibly another, is there any question about what Anakin and Obi-Wan are doing? (please somebody else also chime in on this issue) And why in the world would Anakin jump out of the speeder in the middle of a chase if that wasn't the objective? Did he spot "Crusty Burgers" and decide he was suddenly hungry?
Exactly was my point in the AOTC's toy thread Tycho. It's starting to get almost sad that in threads. Anytime you are actually discussing the toys or the movie, and you explain somthing to someone that asked, or offering your own opinion in regards to those two things you're slapped upside the head for "spoiling the movie".

The trailer, toys, and everything else that people have seen before are ripe with spoilers. If your gonna follow those, you would know exactly what Anakin and Obi-Wan were doing in that speeder anyway. Everyone is way to bloodthirsty to brand people a sinner for talking about the movie in movie threads. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Starfig873
03-11-2002, 08:02 AM
Well...uh....theres alot O' wierd stuff happening in this here thread :)

But the fig shall continue. :p

As for the stuff looking fake, I actually kinda thought that too. I still had a good time watching it though. I'm just keeping in mind that there is a good possibility that Georgie-poo will tweak the FX before the actual release.

If I remember correctly I had the thought of "this kinda doesn't look real" when I saw TPM trailer...

Like I said, this is going to be a fun movie, still may not be the best, but it will be a blast I think. :)

rdrunr89
03-11-2002, 08:16 AM
I thought we were discussing the trailer here??

For those who didn't know the music, here is what was featured:

Musical Cues: "The Pit of Carkoon/Sail Barge Assault" (Episode VI); "The Clash of Lightsabers" (Episode V); "The Forest Battle" (Episode VI)

The opening was the Pit of Carkoon/Sail Barge Assault.

No chance of this movie coming out sooner???
:D

jonthejedi
03-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Well guys...I've been up reading your comments...and I'll share this...I'm 49 years old, still collect the toys, etc...and I turned 10 years old for those 2 1/2 minutes. Awesome!!!!! I won't be too critcical about CGI...almost everything in the Star Wars universe is made up. I have'nt been this excited about a new Star Wars movie in quite awhile. My wife loves "Forbidden Love" trailer...but that last shot of those Jedi surrounded..ohmygawd!!!! It's all hell breaking loose in the Republic....Geonosian warriors, battle droids, monsters, super battledroids, clone troopers...when does Toys R Us open? One line intrigues the most...Obi to Jango..."Your clones are impressive".....hmmmm...will we see Mandalorian commandos as early as Ep II. George, you still rock our world.
jonthejedi

billfremore
03-11-2002, 08:37 AM
I'm either having a heart attack or I've just seen the trailer...

JetsAndHeels
03-11-2002, 09:13 AM
I loved the trailer. To me this is the best one because of the way we see Jango!! "They will do their job well" he says to Obi Wan.
Hes kind of giving Obi that "I am gonna kick your ***" look. I love it!! The holo of Obi talking about Jango, then igniting his saber to deflect the shots....WOW!! And if you slow your VCR, computer, etc at the scene when Jango is firing at Obi, you can see Boba at the top of the ramp on the Slave I, retreating inside the ship.
Man I cant wait!! Plus Count Dooku speaking to Obi Wan in his legendary voice. The arena scenes, lightsaber duel, the Jedi army, etc. Man, May 16th cannot get here soon enough.

JEDIpartner
03-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Well... I thought it looked relatively good. There were a few CG things that bothered me. The part with the ships taking off with the clone army in the foreground was little TOO CG and prettu mcuh EVERY scene with Yoda... especially the hoverchair thing looked a bit "inserted". I thought the point of doing the CGI was to eliminate that "pasted in" look of composite shots. That is clearly not working for me. True... a majority of the shots looked good, but they just didn't seem up to snuff.

I have no doubts that the film will be good. It has already exceeded my expectations, plot wise, based on my overall feelings of TPM (which I still didn't think was AS BAD as everyone else feels it was). My gripe, though, is that with all the CG stuff going on in these films, it will change the general "texture" of the scenes in the original trilogy. I can really almost see, based on the Slave I/Jedi Starfighter asteroid scene, Lucas and company going back to EBS and redoing the whole Asteroid Field scene with the Falcon so that it has the same "visual integrity" as the one in AOTC.

I was not blown away by the trailer as I had expected to be, but I am not completely disappointed with it.

As for dissing people because of their natural predilections, ethnicity or socio-economic backgrounds... that's completely childish and unwarranted. None of these things impair a person from forming an opinion or having a thought. The lack of education and/or ignorance is what can render one's "voice" useless or unimportant. I think we are starting to forget the attack on our personal freedoms that had occurred such a short time ago. Do not perpetuate this intolerance from within. We are diverse and because of that, we can be powerful.

dr_evazan22
03-11-2002, 10:13 AM
The trailer is growing on me the more I watch it, although I still have reservations about it.

Is it just me or was OB acting like a baby, very petulently, when Ani "lost" what they were chasing... he sits there w/ his arms across his chest and he's like Boo Hoo, you lost them! Boo Hoo!

Another thing that looks cool are some round droid thingies- they look like big destroyer droids.-

I'm listening to Howard Stern as I type, and they're commenting in the news that Jar Jar wasn't in it. They all said that they hadn't seen it-

I think I've seen enough of Jango chasing OB thru the asteroids!

I love the political plot going on. That, along w/ Ani's turn is really what does it for me, no matter what I think of some of the effects.

Lastly, being aware of spoilers, and the plot, I think that all the scenes pass by too quickly. I have a hard time believing that non-SW fans wouldn't be put a little off by watching this.

Ba Ba Booey!

Rratkowski1
03-11-2002, 10:47 AM
No wonder I liked the trailer. Lots of action. Meesa like dat. While I know Jar Jar will be in the movie, hopefully, they learned that his character needed some help or needed to have a lesser role. Judging by the trailer, I think they opted for a lesser role. And lots of lightsabers....

Mandalorian Candidat
03-11-2002, 11:13 AM
All I have to say is WOW! It was such cool thing for Lucasfilm and Fox to show that trailer for free on TV. I bought a videotape just so I could tape it along with the numerous other specials they are bound to show (on 60 Minutes, Dateline, ET, etc.) before the opening of the movie.

I think Lucas really did something smart on this movie. Knowing that many fans didn't like Jar Jar he's played him totally down. He's also shown what a wide range of stuff is going on with this movie: a love story, political intrigue, and a huge freaking battle with tons of Jedi and Mandalorian clones. I'm totally looking forward to this movie!

I feel bad for everyone who's already dismissing it as crap without seeing the whole thing. IMO, with that attitude nothing that Lucas will EVER do with the series will be good. If you just take it for what it is, a great science-fantasy-popcorn flick, you'll enjoy it that much more.

Thanks G. Lu.

(oh, and McCallum blows)

Darth Yambag
03-11-2002, 12:04 PM
Why the negativity over a 2+ minute trailer? We definately see cool lightsaber battles. The gunships that look like tomahawk helicoptors are something we haven't seen, a definate new twist on land/air battles. Great locations. And the Slave I chase scene looks like a classic dog fight.

As for the music, we all know John Williams will write the appropriate music for these scenes. TPM score was excellent. The score is the least of anyone's worries.

If R2 flies, where does he leave 3PO?

Christopher Lee will be one of the great Star Wars actors!!!:D

Beast
03-11-2002, 12:45 PM
Jar Jar Binks does appear in the trailer, twice. One shot is only his chest behind Padme, but the other shot he is watching the transmission from Obi-Wan about the clone army with the Senators and the Jedi. :D Here is a screen capture of his second apperance in the trailer.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
03-11-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Darth Yambag
The gunships that look like tomahawk helicoptors are something we haven't seen, a definate new twist on land/air battles.

If R2 flies, where does he leave 3PO?

That's exactly what I thought about the Gunships looking like the Tomahawks! Great point!

As for the other question: R2 has been trying to leave that windbag C-3PO ever since ANH. It is a conflict with the actors I think.

First R2 tried to strand him in that desert. Then he'd rather wander all over Hoth and try to find the missing Luke with just his little radar dish than listen to 3PO for another minute. Finally, after that incident where they worshiped Threepio as a God in that Ewok village and were going to cook R2 for lunch, he had enough!

Didn't you see R2 trying to throw Threepio in front of the Pod Racers? Well, he missed because Ody Mandrell had to pit-stop.

Now he has his chance! In Episode 2 all R2 has to do is leave Threepio behind in that huge mess of a battle we just saw in the trailer and who know's what will hit him!

Point up: R2D2!

:D

Lman316
03-11-2002, 01:11 PM
First, I'd like to say: that was the best out of all the trailers we've seen so far, just awesome in my opinion.
My dad was watching that with me, and the first thing out of his mouth after seeing that was: "Now, that's more like it." and I said: "I'm ready."
Attack of the Clones seems like it's going to be a very cool movie.
But, there was one little, and I mean little thing that bothered me about it. The character of Mas Amedda (sp? and if that really was him) seems to be played by a different character. We get to see him up close in TPM, so I think a lot of people would notice an actor change. Anyone think it's the same character, or did they change him?

Now, on to other things. I was just thinking about this last night, and here it is again. We're back to the argument of spoilers in the forums. And, I really don't want to be getting myself in trouble, and I hope I don't say anything that is offensive or warrants editing to my post, but I'm with Stillakid on this one again.
I saw this poll to voice my opinion on the trailer and I wanted to make a comment about it. So, I voted and then I started to read through the other comments listed to see if I could add anything original to the growing list of replies. Then I get to one of Tycho's (not trying to be offensive here, but it was Tycho's where I read it) and again, a little piece of this movie was once again taken away from me.
So, this would set me up for the argument - as some have used already - that if you're watching the trailer, then you're spoiling yourself anyway. Maybe so, but it was one of the same people who said this, that also said something along the lines of: "Wait until Lucas or Hasbro officially releases something, before you see it." Well, this would be one of those times, would it not? And in this 'Official Release', there was no mention of *SPOILER* (just incase someone didn't see it before, I won't repeat it unless they're warned about it)

Zam in that trailer. I'm pretty sure that I heard Obi-Wan say "Great, you've lost him." Not, "You've lost her."
So, I wait for an 'Official Release', and nothing major is really given away for me there. Because Lucas wouldn't honestly make a trailer that would give anything really important - to the story - away, and he didn't. Just like (IMHO), seeing the toys doesn't give away anything major about the movie (but that's the toy section, so I'm sorry for bringing that into here, but I'm only making a comparison).
So, what is the next argument going to be that is flat out telling me to accept spoilers? "Wait for the movie itself or leave the forums" ? Because it seems that I'm just going to be given new arguments that tell me I'm wrong and that I should already know what is going on, how the movie end, who dies, who doesn't, and so and so forth. That isn't fair to me. That's why there is an Episode 2 (No Spoilers) section. But I've had to read spoilers in the Phantom Menace section, in the toy section and now in the poll section. This is becoming a very one-sided site, and I wished that some other people would start to speak up about this, if they don't like it either. If I'm one of a very small percentage, well, I guess I could just leave, but shouldn't my rights be protected on this site too? Doesn't everyone get that consideration when they come to this site?
I still believe you can discuss toys without discussing major plot lines in the movie (some minor stuff might not be avoidable, but there is no excuse for major stuff) and I feel you can discuss thing about a movie (i.e. actors, costumes, trailers, effects) without giving away too much about the movie itself. But I guess I'm just wrong anyway. I always seem to be on here anymore.

2-1B
03-11-2002, 01:20 PM
Lman316, I think you are right in thinking that Mas Amedda is played by a different actor :)

CaptainSolo1138
03-11-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Mary J. Blige 2187:
"No More Drama"

OK, so maybe not. But maybe she should've. I hate spoilers just as bad as everyone else. But I'm not gonna lie and say I haven't read one or two ( three if you count mistakes). I only read the couple I did because I'm excited! It's like looking for Christmas presents in your parent's closet. You don't REALLY want to find anything and ruin the surprise, but you look anyway. But I'm not gonna sit here and blab about this and that. I don't think I've seen any spoilers in this thread.

Anyways, AOTC is gonna kick booty. I'll see it even if I know how it ends.

JEDIpartner
03-11-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
*SPOILER* ...Zam in that trailer. I'm pretty sure that I heard Obi-Wan say "Great, you've lost him." Not, "You've lost her."

I don't think they are still quite aware as to who they are following at that point.

I'm the Jawa
03-11-2002, 05:07 PM
Hey out there!

I have been watching this forum for a quite wihle but I feel now is the time to make my writing debout here.

I like the new trailer very mutch but I have to agree, that many of that CGI stuff makes the sequences look like you're into a kind of Super Mario Nintendo Game... that could be looking mutch cooler (see Matrix for example). In the other way, I guess GL has learned his lesson from EP1, so it looks more "Starwars" to my eyes so far than TPM did.

Back to my question: Has someone of you guys tried that link at the end of that trailer. BE SURE TO TRY IT!!! It offers a lot of interssting stuff for all of us maniacs. And gives a little sneak at the story...

CU,

Lman316
03-11-2002, 05:10 PM
I don't think they are still quite aware as to who they are following at that point.

Exactly my point. If the characters aren't even sure of who they're following, it could not be apparent to those just watching this trailer who they're following. So, by watching this trailer, it doesn't spoil anything, really.
I don't know. This isn't that major, but I sure didn't know who they were chasing before, but now I do. And because of stuff like that, I know a lot about this movie that I really didn't want to know until I saw the movie.

Tycho
03-11-2002, 05:28 PM
Hmmm. I can agree with you Lman to varying degrees.

Questions though:

Did you see the other 3 trailers?

Did you see the speeder that has pincher ends on its front?

Did you see the Hasbro speeder toy pictures from Episode 2, especially the one with the pilot in it?

Did you see the Lego toys speeder set?

Was there any question that both speeders were shown in the trailers at night, on Coruscant?

Did Obi-Wan say "Follow that speeder!" in one of the trailers?

I was not going to post that the Jedi don't know who they are following yet at this point, as I thought that would be a spoiler, but JediPtnr seems to think we're past that point as well.

What possible "wrong" conclusions can still be drawn about this sequence after all the evidence that has been given from the trailers, Hasbro, and Lego?

Mind you that you are also correct when you said it is an extremely minor detail to the story if it is a spoiler, too.

But I think we can take it for granted that everyone watching the trailers and posting here, have been able to put it all together.

Your thoughts? [and I edited my original post anyway, just to let you know I am listening].

Lman316
03-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Well, actually, I didn't put it together on those sequences.
I did see the other trailers, and I have seen the Hasbro vehicle, but I guess I didn't put too much attention into the trailers, except for last night's, really.
I don't really want to start this argument again, and I didn't like starting it in the first place, but there are a lot of people on this board that know what is going to happen in the movie. But, there are also some who don't know, and don't want to know (at least don't want to know major things about the movie or its plot) until the movie comes out. IMHO, it just seems that nothing that has come out so far has given anything really major away. And although, this instance might not be that major (as we both seem to be agreeing on), I guess it just kinda hit me when I read it as: "Oh, now I have to deal with spoilers in the polls section too."

I have heard the arguments from the other side, and I do see their side of this too. But what it is seemingly coming down to is that no section on these boards is going to be safe from spoilers and that means that I, or others like me, will have to leave. And, frankly, I don't want to leave. I like these boards, I like talking about the toys and the movies, but I think that major plot lines could be left out of here until the movie actually opens. When we all could possibly put our input or comments on the happenings in the movie.
Or, like I have stated before, someone could just put the word "Spoiler" in their responses on a thread. Kind of like what I did in here. It lets people know that they might be giving something away, and a person would have a chance to skip that one response and go on to the next one.
I just want to be able to read through responses without hearing the end of the movie. Granted, that's not what happened here, but I guess I just felt more or less like: "It's just a matter of time..."
I'd just like it so that everyone here can stay here and be able to post, whether they want spoilers or not. That's all.
Again, I'm sorry if I'm starting yet another argument, but I really don't want to have to leave the forums.

Tycho
03-11-2002, 06:13 PM
Lman, I completely agree with you and will make an addendum to my original poll post to "keep a lid on the spoilers in this thread."

You made your point clearly, and with tact and without the personal bashing that has plagued this thread.

I think the speeder issue is past us now, as you stated. It is minor, so I'm not going to correct everything with that. I edited my original post that brought that up, but I don't think everyone else who really didn't do anything offensive wants more editing in this thread. I don't like doing that to anyone, I don't like being the moderator - just like making the polls and discussing them, but quite honestly, I don't have the time to police this thread. I'm at work as we speak and I'm typing this. I just had to act due to the personal attacks we witnessed in this thread earlier. The longer it is left up, the more damage it does.

Your suggestion for someone who thinks they might have posted a spoiler to put "SPOILER IN THIS POST" at the start of their reply is a very practical one if anyone posting has any doubts. However, you are right that this is a spoiler free section.

To all who want to discuss spoilers:

Please go to

Hasbro Attack of the Clones Toys -
Episode Two Spoilers
Episode Three Spoilers

These sections basically cover even the final movie from start to finish.

Please continue talking about the Trailer without spoilers here.
L'man, you are a welcome member of these forums and it is a pleasure talking to you!

mark2d2
03-11-2002, 07:16 PM
Sorry, but I've got to weigh in on this.

If people are THAT obsessed with avoiding SPOILERS then maybe they should stay out of this thread. Seriously. Nothing that has been referred to as a SPOILER has struck me as being even close to being that. Hey, I understand why people want to avoid SPOILERS, but what are they doing in a thread talking about the trailers? Because by their very definition anything that was glimpsed in the trailer is a SPOILER. And that's what we're here to discuss.

It's getting ridiculous.

Next someone is going to say, "Man R2D2 looked so dang cool!!!"

Only to get blasted with "WHAT?! R2D2 is in Episode II? Wait a minute! I didn't know that! How could I know that! How can you just go and ruin the movie for me like that?! Stop showing off! This is a Spoiler free zone! And another thing! How dare you bring up Lightsaber Battles, JarJar! Now we all know about those as well. Gee thanks . . . Next thing I know, you'll tell me that there's a whole mess of spaceships in the film as well . . ."

Come on people, let's get serious.

Turbowars
03-11-2002, 07:51 PM
I loved it!! I can't wait. It suprised me because It looks like it's going to be great movie, not like EP1!!!!

jonthejedi
03-11-2002, 09:00 PM
Hmmm...all this debate about CGI, this looks flat, this looks fake.Here's my 2 cents: did anyone catch Mr. Lucas on network with Leslie Stahl...right before Ep 1 came out(the one with his homelife, etc.) He got really defensive about the visuals being attacked. He said movies, by their very nature, are fake...unreal.
Nothing short of the actors standing against bluescreen is real.
This is supposed to be a fantasy, a fairy tale or modern mythology for future generations. We have no frame of human referance to compare to anything seen in that trailer. I can tell you...I've not seen clonetroopers or battledroids in my neighborhood of late. Maybe we're all just being a tad too picky before the movie opens. I have an air of caution myself...I want them to get it right this time...more like Empire Strikes Back. But my God those visuals...I grew up watching bad stop motion animation, and thought it was the coolest There were things in that trailer I couldn't have ever imagined. Don't bury your chances of enjoying it beforehand. What is really fake in a galaxy far, far away...a long time ago.

Starfig873
03-11-2002, 09:27 PM
And around and around and around we go! Weee :D

Hmm, I think I'll refrain from talking about spoilers: the good the bad and the ugly. :)

After, yet, another round of watching the trailer (God bless VHS for what it's worth) I've finalized, that I simply love the CGI Yoda. It just gives a neat feel to the characeter. :)

stillakid
03-11-2002, 10:06 PM
Thank you Leman for the support. Unfortunately, we appear to be in the minority. There are those here who wish to speak freely using spoilers anytime they wish and make excuses to do so.

My original post was not meant as a personal attack to anyone, rather as another in a long string of gentle warnings to please stop dropping spoilers indiscriminately throughout the forum.

I believe that the root of the misunderstanding lies in the definition of a spoiler. A "trailer" is not a spoiler. A "toy" is not a spoiler. Any official release from Lucasfilm is not a spoiler. We are all not sitting at home piecing the story together from the series of trailers and toys that have been released. We do not all want to piece the story together before it is released.

It really can't be any clearer than that. If it is now the opinion of those in charge of SirSteve's Guide that spoilers shall be allowed anywhere on the site, I'd gladly welcome that information and deal with it accordingly for myself.

Thank you! :)

JediTricks
03-11-2002, 11:04 PM
I personally felt like it was an exciting trailer, but it felt (to me, of course) very forced and hollow. I got the sense from the big action scenes that it wasn't Star Wars anymore, and from the other stuff, it felt more like an extension of Ep 1, like we were watching a video game cut-scene rather than a piece of the SW saga.

As for the CGI, what bothers me the most about it is what makes the AT-AT scenes in ESB so good, the way things move in CGI looks like a cartoon. This isn't a problem for flying vehicles when the camera is stationary or at least from a distance, but when a vehicle or character is walking it looks too fluid, too fake; and when the camera is in a place we KNOW a camera couldn't get to, like seeing out the front of a speeder or tracing Slave 1's missile, it feels more like a cartoon or video game. There are 2 types of faith-leaping, letting something wash over you like the TIE Fighter attack on the Millennium Falcon, and becoming part of the action like controlling a Snowspeeder in the Star Wars Trilogy arcade game - the former is passive and lets you reflect afterwards while the latter is active and once it's over, you feel as if the reality it created has been ripped away from you.

As for the spoiler issue, it's a fine line, but it's best not to assume that everybody thinks the same way and puts 2 and 2 together. If you mention Zam's speeder, you don't need to mention where else we've seen Zam. If you mention R2-D2, you don't need to mention how R2 protects another character. There are different levels to the spoiler issue, but try to understand that even a little slip-up on your part can injure how someone else perceives the film.

mark2d2
03-11-2002, 11:55 PM
All valid points Jeditricks.

A clarification for everybody else. Earlier I complained that nothing looked real. I feel some people are misunderstanding me on this point. Obviously, none of this is real. What I was trying to convey is my frustration that suddenly the Star Wars universe doesn't look as nearly as REAL as it did 25 years ago. This is progress?

Luke and Leia racing through the hallways of the Deathstar looked pretty dang real. Padme jumping over the conveyer belt looks flat out PHONY. The same goes for many of these Aliens. They don't look like they are really there, but so hastily inserted. Hey, I'd take Rubber Hammerhead masks over these so obviously animated creatures any day.

All I'm saying is that far too much of the trailer looks as if the actors were bluescreened into A BUGS LIFE. The photorealism is gone. Frankly, I'm beginning to think I'd like the new films more if they simply were cartoons. They seem desperately trying to become that. Have the last remnants of character and story been swept away?

Of course we're only talking about a trailer here, so who knows, I could be pleasently surprised when I see the film. But if it's so jam packed with great dialogue, wouldn't at least one or two gems have shown up in the trailer?

JediTricks
03-12-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2
All I'm saying is that far too much of the trailer looks as if the actors were bluescreened into A BUGS LIFE. The photorealism is gone. Frankly, I'm beginning to think I'd like the new films more if they simply were cartoons. They seem desperately trying to become that. Have the last remnants of character and story been swept away?Mark2, I couldn't agree with you more! What's one thing everybody can agree on about ROTJ? The matting problems with Luke and the Rancor really hurt the scene. This is very similar to the problem I'm talking about above with the Ep 2 trailer.

When you talk about "A Bug's Life", I was able to suspend belief with that film because EVERYTHING was the same, it was ALL cartoony; but when we have real-life elements like actors and sets and then we're thrust into 100% CGI elements like the flying aliens and their stadium, that puts a huge strain on my ability to believe what I'm seeing as a whole.

There's something that lacks depth about all that CGI, as if even the little flaws are too perfect. A good example of that is when the 4-legged AT-AT-looking vehicle takes a step, it just nagged at the back of my mind.

Wolfwood319
03-12-2002, 12:12 AM
I really have to agree with mark's last post. The cgi is what is turning me off this movie. Its so forced, and it is everywhere, to the point you are basically watching a cartoon with the actors inserted into it.

I too would take a rubber mask or a car with vasoline on the lens to block out wheels any day over cgi in a star wars film.

mark2d2
03-12-2002, 12:31 AM
Thanks so much, Jeditricks, for so clearly driving home my point.

Yes, I too, thoroughly enjoyed A BUGS LIFE. It's the mixing of live action and the BUGS LIFE look --- that is especially troubling. That's exactly how it looks PHONY. The problem isn't that you're watching a cartoon. It's that is LOOKS like you're watching a cartoon.

2-1B
03-12-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Starfig873
After, yet, another round of watching the trailer (God bless VHS for what it's worth) I've finalized, that I simply love the CGI Yoda. It just gives a neat feel to the characeter. :)

The first time watching the trailer, I was kinda bothered by CGI Yoda, but after watching my VHS copy about a half dozen times, I guess he was starting to grow on me :)

Originally posted by Jeditricks
. . . tracing Slave 1's missile . . .
I do think the space scenes (overall) will be fantastic, but :sur:
that missile scene might be going too far !

jedibear
03-12-2002, 02:41 AM
Instead most of what I'm reading here is people lining themselves up to be disappointed or finding fault with everything based on what the trailers have shown....I'm not saying that folks don't have a right to their views or that I am just blindly saying everything regarding the prequel films is pitch-perfect, but DAMN! It's getting to be a drag to come to these forums to share in some enthusiasm over the new film when so many are complaining about "too much cgi...flat line readings...fake looking Yoda, yadda, yadda, yaddo!

I'm older than most who haunt these forums, and yes, I can recall thinking that the Jabba's palace aliens in ROTJ looked awfully corny looking & those walking teddy bears...ugh! Not to mention the visable matte lines around so many of the ships....all that was still easy to ignore because I still wanted to see if Han was going to get the girl and if Luke was going to confront his father.
The story was there, amidst the rabble of effects, both good and bad.

Now I'm older, a little more educated & alot more jaded in what I expect from my entertainment. We all are....and there's good n' bad in that too. Does alot of what we've seen from AOTC look video-gamelike? Sure it does! Looking at the advances that the last few years have brought in detailing and rendering with games, what would one expect? But I still am excited about the massive set peices we just saw samples of and really admire ILM's strides towards more photorealism with it's creations.
There's also something to what JontheJedi said....how can any of us say that anything doesn't look "right"? Where's the frame of reference? I haven't seen any clonetroopers or Geonosians around my neighborhood either....however, another consideration is that all of us have watched the classic trilogy so many times that the whole design of it and the execution of it has etched into us what we individually think a "Star Wars"
movie should look like....so that when new things are introduced...from the clonetroopers being a more athletic hybrid of the stromtroopers & Fett or the new, more expressive Yoda...we are taken aback at first. I'm still shaking my head a little as I stare at the Clonetrooper figure sitiing on my moniter, but I'm excited about seeing them in full force in AOTC especially after the new trailer's glimpses of them.
As the timeline in the story takes us closer to what we've already seen, the design element start to dovetail between the old & new in obvious and subtle ways...with this I think Chaing & co are doing some truly inspiring work and Lucas as a director is coming up with some cool, almost throwaway visual cues to carry us along. (Some examples later...)

Anyway, I really enjoyed the "Clone Wars" trailer...it teased with both story & design enough for me to make waiting till May even harder...but I just hope that there's a little more enthusiam from folks aroung here too....

It all really comes down to a matter of taste....one either buys into the vision Lucas is creating or one doesn't. Alot of folks here feel TPM let them down in some way (yes, we've seen some spirited ebates on THAT around here, haven't we?) and I think it's safe to say that many of those same folks will find AOTC less than thrilling as well. Oh well.....I'm liking what I've seen so far....

jonthejedi
03-12-2002, 06:25 AM
Trust me guys & gals...I'm also seeing what you're seeing in these trailer shots...especially noticeable when battledroids run. There's no fluidity to the movement. I have a friend, also a fan, who has been arguing they need to get back to more hands-on
special effects...model work, pyrotechnics, etc. In essence, go backward in time technologically. I don't think this is going to happen. Lucas feels now anything is possible to write & imagine from his imagination...because of CGI. Not too many readers have commented on the sheer scope of some of those battle scenes.
Those kinds of shots would never have happened 20 years ago, or even 10. I frankly would like more Star Wars, not less. I, too, loved the walker attack in Empire. But it worked visually because stop-motion had a jerky quality. Have any of you watched an old
Ray Harryhausen movie like Jason & the Argonauts or 7th Voyage of Sinbad...you'll see what I mean. It lent itself well to the slow, mechanical, cumbersome movements of the AT-AT's. I agree in part more about the backgrounds. These poor actors get a 2X2 ft. hunk of stage to emote on...and they're told the rest will be put in digitally. And we comment the lines are delivered in a wooden fashion. What scares me the most is we're not that far off from digital actors. What will be left? I enjoyed all your viewpoints. Keep 'em coming!!!!!!P.S>(I'm over 40...maybe that's the problem...I'm so jaded now too RE:my entertainment)

mark2d2
03-12-2002, 06:36 AM
I just watched the trailer again.

It's really only the last half that I'm disappointed by. The whole big battle thing looks like a cartoon. And I've watched it on my TV. And my ibook. The medium doesn't seem to matter much. If this is the only way to show something on this grande of scale -- to have it look like one big cartoon. I'd rather not go there.

Clearly, sometimes less is more.l

CaptainSolo1138
03-12-2002, 09:00 AM
Everyone else is giving their two cents, so now it's my turn.:p I understand that CGI is relatively much easier and cheaper, but what looked better: Naboo fighters leaving Naboo to knock out the Droid Control ship in TPM or The Alliance's approach to destroy the second Death Star? I'm pretty sure most will agree that Admiral Ackbar and company looked much, much, much better. And that technology is almost twenty years old! For my money, I think the extra work of using models is worth it. But George Lucas has a certain need to continue pushing movie technology; so I understand why he uses CGI, digital film, etc.

Starfig873
03-12-2002, 12:15 PM
Y'know, to those that are feeling "bummed" by what other's may say, well, don't let it bum you. I mean, you liked whatever fine before your read stuff in here, right? So why should it be any different? :p

You like it, someone else doesn't. To quote "Garden Party" - "You can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself"

:) see? ;)

billfremore
03-12-2002, 03:05 PM
I have to ask...

If some of you people are dissatisfied with what you've seen of AOTC, too much CGI, don't like CGI Yoda, etc., etc.

What would be the perfect Star Wars movie then?

Jedi Clint
03-12-2002, 03:19 PM
:rolleyes: Like the special effects in the OT were superior! I just love how "REAL" it looks when Luke is about to be grabbed by the Rancor.

stillakid
03-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Mark2, I couldn't agree with you more! What's one thing everybody can agree on about ROTJ? The matting problems with Luke and the Rancor really hurt the scene. This is very similar to the problem I'm talking about above with the Ep 2 trailer.

When you talk about "A Bug's Life", I was able to suspend belief with that film because EVERYTHING was the same, it was ALL cartoony; but when we have real-life elements like actors and sets and then we're thrust into 100% CGI elements like the flying aliens and their stadium, that puts a huge strain on my ability to believe what I'm seeing as a whole.

There's something that lacks depth about all that CGI, as if even the little flaws are too perfect. A good example of that is when the 4-legged AT-AT-looking vehicle takes a step, it just nagged at the back of my mind.

This has always been a question of mine when it came to much of the BBC programming, the mix of film for exteriors with video for interiors. It always seemed like a strange choice when viewed from a creative angle. It is always difficult to mix mediums and achieve a seamless result.

CaptainSolo1138
03-12-2002, 04:40 PM
And I love how "REAL" the Queen's Royal Starship looks when it lands on Tatooine!:rolleyes:

Wolfwood319
03-12-2002, 04:40 PM
Well, I just watched the trailer 10 times in a row, and I think I'm in the mindset that I'm really looking forward to the movie. I've gotten past the cgi and dialogue, and now I just hope that the story is good.

I hope I can stay in this mindset for 2 more months.:D

I think the best mix of sfx in a movie was ESB SE. They had built actual sets, used actors in real places, the swamp on Dagobah was real, etc. Then for the space sequences, they redid a lot with cgi, and the windows in Bespin were a nice touch. That's the perfect balance, IMO.

Jedi Clint
03-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by CaptainSolo1138
And I love how "REAL" the Queen's Royal Starship looks when it lands on Tatooine!:rolleyes:

IF there were a ship with a shiny mirror exterior moving under an unknown system of propulsion that defies our current laws of physics landing in the sandy landscape of another inhabitable planet, I think it would look just like that. :)

I can't say the same for a giant monster arm washed out and with a dark outline moving over top of an actor and a set.

The underlying sarcasm of my post was meant to direct one's thinking back to the reality that this is just a movie. Nothing in this movie is "real". One's opinion of the differences in special effects from one set of films to the next doesn't make the events of that film any more "real" than the next.

If we were able to suspend disbelief for the events of the OT enough to enjoy those films, then we should be able to suspend disbelief for the events of the PT just as easily.

I honestly believe people are trying very hard to find things to dislike about these films.

CaptainSolo1138
03-12-2002, 05:57 PM
Alright, Jedi Clint...I'll agree with you there:p I, too, think that people are looking for a reason to shread the new movies. And I couldn't have B.S.'d a better explaination for the Queen's ship. But you see, the battle between Luke and the Rancor didn't happen. They were in two different dimensions. It was a virtual game Jabba owned. The Rancor was supposed to look like it was inset. Luke, in his fright, didn't notice how fake it looked. That's why he decided to fight instead of push the "END GAME" button that you can briefly see in the Rancor Pit if you watch it frame-by- frame.

Or something like that....

Jedi Clint
03-12-2002, 06:01 PM
LOL!!! His bong also functioned as a video game controller ;)

mark2d2
03-12-2002, 06:02 PM
I've never said that the ships look fake. CGI is great for that.

Where it really looks fake is the whole last half on the trailer. All the arena shots look "cartoony" to the extreme. Especially those of Padme "bouncing" and Mace fighting. The green screen is just really WAYYYYYYYYY to obvious for my tastes. In fact they look just as bad as Luke with the Rancor.

And as for looking for an excuse to Shread the movie. I don't think that's true at all. I was very excited about seeing this trailer. And I really loved all the other three. This one just didn't do it for me. As I've said before it looked like the return of Episode I. Whereas the other trailers had seemed to herald The Empire Strikes Back . . .

Which I, too, feel is the perfect mix of old and new technology. All the CGI works well on Bespin and there are no bad Lucas changes. Like inserting "special new footage" of paramedics performing CPR on the Imperial Officers and bringing them back to life. See, Darth Vader was bad. But he really wasn't THAT bad . . .

plo koon 200
03-12-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally I voted it was the best but now I have changed my mind. My fav is Forbiden Love but I think the movie is excellent because from what we've seen the movie is a picture mix between ESB and TPM and it is neccesary for this to look somewhat like TPm because it comes right after it. As far as Yoda. Man don't dis Yoda. These are the first CGI shots that I've seen of him that weren't good. Perhaps these were earlier shots that they worked on because Yoda looks much better in the other trailers.

Tycho
03-12-2002, 06:14 PM
But there really are armies of CloneTroopers in my neighborhood!

They were hanging out at my local Wal*Mart this morning. They are really short for Troopers and they all are wearing green cardboard signs on their backs. I thought they might be hungry, so I invited them all home with me since my Master was just seen in the trailer pushing for an Army Creation Act. Now I helped them all find jobs so they no longer have to wear signs on their backs! That's the way to do community service!

By the way - Rancors are real, too! There's one under my bed and another one growling in my closet just as I'm typing this right now!

stillakid
03-12-2002, 06:16 PM

By the way - Rancors are real, too! There's one under my bed and another one growling in my closet just as I'm typing this right now!

You're sure that's not your stomach?;)

Tycho
03-12-2002, 06:19 PM
Could be!

I spent the rest of this week's lunch money on Star Wars figures today!

But I must practice 'moderation' and get back to discussing the trailer in this post. [everyone else finding figures might mention it in the Just Found section, or the SPOILER-full AOTC Toy Section].

Meanwhile, the dialogue and character personalities flow better with each viewing of the trailer.

The ROTJ / ESB music was good for this trailer, save for the final part that used the Ewok Battle music. That just didn't work. I would have used Hoth's music or the Theed Invasion music myself. But that's just me.

I do agree that the look and feel of the movies are changing with CGI to a degree. One of the overview shots I'd say fairly compares with the angles used here is from The Battle of Hoth. There were some overhead shots of the Rebel defenses firing, and later of the troops fleeing the AT-AT's on foot. It does seem crisper and more real in the Battle of Hoth. ANH cleanly breaks up that category of visual patterns because there were no great ground battles in ANH of the magnitude of Geonosis, or Hoth and Endor for that matter.

I too preferred the Forbidden Love trailer, because it showcased more character development and the talent of the actors involved in telling the story.

mark2d2
03-12-2002, 06:27 PM
Tycho, I think it's very sad that your Rancor is still in the closet in this so called enlightened age.

Tycho
03-12-2002, 06:36 PM
Well, I'm running out of room for my toys here, and I just landed a sweet job, so I'm saving to buy a house (with the money I haven't given George Lucas yet). Meanwhile, I have to pick and choose what I display, and I'm sure glad my Princess in her two-piece is out and in position in almost every room in my apartment! And I'm comfortable with settling for that for right now.

stillakid
03-12-2002, 06:38 PM
Aside from problems I have with the development of the story as we get closer to the original trilogy, I like the "slick" look that the prequels have taken on. Whether by default or by intention, the CG feel of what we see on screen lends itself to the "pre-war" era that these prequels are all about.

When all is said and done, the contrast between the "look" of Episode III in juxtaposition with Episode IV will work to the saga's advantage. The relatively sudden disappearance of the glossiness will help "sell" the progression of time between the prequel era and the OT and really showcase what the effects of a prolonged war can have on a galaxy.

Yes, perhaps GL is pushing the technology out into public before it is truly ready, but we'll just have to accept it as moviegoers did when they watched primitive effects in the 1950's (Harryhausen) and the substandard bluescreen's in ROTJ. Someday, CG might mesh perfectly with live action, but we all know that it isn't yet the case.

Tycho
03-12-2002, 06:44 PM
Stillakid,

do you think they are going to redo or enhance some of the scenes from the Original Trilogy for the DVD release, and that is part of what the wait is for?

It can help some scenes and certainly did with the Battle of Yavin. That looked pretty real for me.

I'm just thinking they will add B-wings fighting, a better Jabba for the Docking Bay 94 scene, etc. etc.

For the DVD's and maybe one more theatrical presentation when all 6 films are complete. Contrary to what some have feared, I do not believe this means adding to the story or plot elements, or editing the Original Trilogy for content in any way. It just means adding effects scenes or improving existing ones.

What do you think?

What do you want?

All should bring this up as we are talking about CGI and how it relates to the new trailers.

stillakid
03-12-2002, 07:10 PM
Stillakid,

do you think they are going to redo or enhance some of the scenes from the Original Trilogy for the DVD release, and that is part of what the wait is for?

It can help some scenes and certainly did with the Battle of Yavin. That looked pretty real for me.

I'm just thinking they will add B-wings fighting, a better Jabba for the Docking Bay 94 scene, etc. etc.

For the DVD's and maybe one more theatrical presentation when all 6 films are complete. Contrary to what some have feared, I do not believe this means adding to the story or plot elements, or editing the Original Trilogy for content in any way. It just means adding effects scenes or improving existing ones.

What do you think?

What do you want?

All should bring this up as we are talking about CGI and how it relates to the new trailers.

Hmm? Far be it from me to guess what George plans to do. My guess is as good as anyone's as to what will actually happen.

What I think he'll do? That's a tough one. I think that it all depends upon how much attention he pays to the fans and to the critics. There was widespread disappointment with The Phantom Menace. We could debate all day about why, but something was wrong there and it's safe to say that George took note of it. It's hard to address this question without branching off into my own personal rant about the specific problems in TPM, but suffice it to say that any story problems that he created really have to be continued with in the next two prequels, either to build upon them, or to somehow magically debunk them. If he fails to do so, he is in danger of leaving the OT out on a limb as being inconsistent with the elements that he has recently introduced into the saga.

Will he redo some much needed fx work in the OT? Maybe, maybe not. He doesn't really have much incentive to do so. He knows that the movies will sell as is, so the added expenditure isn't necessary beyond asthetic desire.

What do I want to see happen? For starters, I'd like to see a complete recall of TPM and have him redo it. ;) Seeing as that is unlikely, I hope that he and his co-writers find a way to put the conflicting prequel information to bed by the end of Episode III. I would hate to see the storyline of the OT altered to accomodate the introduction of Qui Gonn Jinn and Midichlorians.

It would be nice to see many of the substandard fx shots redone throughout the entire saga. I'd like him to admit the mistake of Greedo firing first and take it out. I'd like Vader's original line near the end of ESB reinstated ("Bring my shuttle"). I'd like Luke's girl-like scream removed. Essentially, my biggest dislikes had to do with changes that ultimately altered who the characters were and how they acted. The Phantom Menace completely altered the image that the world had of Obi Wan Kenobi in A New Hope to be that of a manipulative liar instead of a friend to Luke. Solo's character arc was changed from a selfish scoundrel to becoming not such a bad guy.

But I digress. It's a hard question to answer. It's nice that the Star Wars saga remains fluid. I like not knowing what is coming next even though I know where it all ends up. The problem is that in doing the prequels, Lucas hasn't been careful enough up to this point to not disturb that which he has already created. You knock down one domino and the rest are bound to fall too. Digitally "improve" one shot and, if you're not careful, an entire plot line might be irreparably damaged.

It's stuff like this that makes screenwriters go insane.

Oh, thanks for asking!:)

CaptainSolo1138
03-12-2002, 11:25 PM
Stillakid,
That was the best thing I've read on here in a long time. A long time. Were I a lesser person, I woulda cried:cry: . Suffice to say, you hit the nail on the head. Even recalling TPM;)

mark2d2
03-13-2002, 12:08 AM
I ac tually like the new Vader line.

What REALLY has to go is Luke's line to R2D2. Originally, it was "You're lucky you don't taste very good." In the special Edition it became "You were lucky to get out of there." Which is very flat compared to the original. A bit of foreshadowing to prepare up for the dudding thuds we suffered through in TPM.

Wolfwood319
03-13-2002, 01:55 AM
I think at this point though, GL is making these movies for himself for the most part. He doesn't do it solely for profit, and he spends a lot more on these films then he has to.

I'm sure with all this talk about him going back to redo some OT stuff in the air that GL will probably get to a point where he does minor touchs on all 6 films until he is satisfied or dead. That's the problem with making the films out of order, he'll come up with an idea for a prequel that doesn't fit so well with the other films, but he'll go with the idea anyway. Now, he has the resources to go back and change each film accordingly, it really is quite unique when you think about it. He may continue to work on the films for many years. 10 years down the road we may get a TPM special edition.

Beast
03-13-2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
10 years down the road we may get a TPM special edition.
It will happen sooner then that, if the rumors of the archival edition movies on DVD is true. In 2006 Lucas is planning to release the DVD boxset of all 6 movies with changes to get them to blend more seamlessly. One of those changes is to restore the originally cut second to Amidala's vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum. Originally Senator Bail Organa seconded the motion, but the actor that was hired wasn't what Lucas ultimatly wanted and his scene was cut. Now that Lucas is happy with Jimmy Smits playing Bail, they will shoot him seconding the motion, and restore the scene back to Episode I. As well as in ANH, a scene of him looking up at the looming Death Star or being covered by it's shadow, right before Alderaan is destroyed. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
03-13-2002, 03:03 AM
JarJar...where did you get THAT information?

Granted, it does sound cool to me. At first...

One thing though: on a planet with a "moon" coming ever closer and closer, weather patterns would be severly disrupted and you'd see hurricanes, tidal waves, maybe even earthquakes, and then (on Alderaan in Star Wars) a Death Ray blast.

Seeing that might be really interesting, however, that scene was actually about Leia. Her pain, her emotional trauma. If we get to see a lot of Alderaan in Episode 3 as one might guess, it will satisfy the need for more info to really care about that scene and the planet. However, the focus is on Leia. Why even bring in Bail to distract from the sympathy you should be feeling towards her character?

I vote no. It doesn't work.

Beast
03-13-2002, 03:18 AM
One thing though: on a planet with a "moon" coming ever closer and closer, weather patterns would be severly disrupted and you'd see hurricanes, tidal waves, maybe even earthquakes, and then (on Alderaan in Star Wars) a Death Ray blast.
Seeing that might be really interesting, however, that scene was actually about Leia. Her pain, her emotional trauma. If we get to see a lot of Alderaan in Episode 3 as one might guess, it will satisfy the need for more info to really care about that scene and the planet. However, the focus is on Leia. Why even bring in Bail to distract from the sympathy you should be feeling towards her character? I vote no. It doesn't work.

There has been talk and rumors of the Archival Editions, as well as Lucas filming additional scenes for E1 and the OT to blend them together for a while. I don't think it was in the Insider, but there could have been a small mention of the Archival Editions at some point in there. I just know that from everything I have heard, the plans are in motion for filming pickups during E2 and E3 for them.

Considering the fact that if the Death Star just took up a position in orbit, either around the planet Alderaan, or it's sun, the gravitational effects shouldn't be that destructive. After all, we didn't see any effects on Yavin in E4.

I think that it's more likely that we'll see a sudden eclipse of the sun, and it will be the death star coming between the planet and the sun. I don't wanna talk E3 spoilers here, but we know that Bail Organa raised Leia as his daughter, so it's only fitting we get to see a final shot of him and of alderaan before it's destroyed. That would create more sympathy for Leia, seeing her adopted father and then having the planet atomized.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
03-13-2002, 10:40 AM

Seeing that might be really interesting, however, that scene was actually about Leia. Her pain, her emotional trauma. If we get to see a lot of Alderaan in Episode 3 as one might guess, it will satisfy the need for more info to really care about that scene and the planet. However, the focus is on Leia. Why even bring in Bail to distract from the sympathy you should be feeling towards her character?

I vote no. It doesn't work.

I'm with you. Like I said, change one thing and other effects happen. Including Alderaan's POV completely takes the emphasis off of Leia's moment. While it could be argued that "hey, it did happen" regarding what was actually taking place on the surface of the doomed planet, filmmaking (and storytelling in general) is about making choices about what to see and what kind of emotional response you're trying to leave the audience with. Just because George can do it now doesn't mean that he should.

Also, just like in genealogy research, it would be helpful to know sources of information so that credibility can be better judged. The talk that is being spoken about may just be someone's opinion about what he'd like to see happen rather than actual discussion amongst Lucasfilm staff. I do understand that leaks happen and the "guilty" aren't necessarily anxious to put their own names to the information, but any kind of evidence trail is better than none. :)

(thanks Tycho!)

CaptainSolo1138
03-13-2002, 11:26 AM
But, on the other hand, if Bail Organa is brought in it makes the scene look like more of a personal loss for Leia. It wouldn't be just her home, but her family, too.I'm sure as much can be assumed, but the added visual would help.

But if I were Big Daddy George, I wouldn't touch a thing. You might as well add eyebrows to the Mona Lisa. SE was enough for me.

Tycho
03-13-2002, 11:33 AM
I think it respects the movie viewer's intelligence to not show Bail Organa in Episode 4.

1) I am supposing and hoping that Bail Organa becomes a prominent secondary character in E3 (in the likes of Watto, or Sebulba, or Palpatine's screen time, versus that afforded Captain Tarpals).

2) I am supposing we get to see and spend detailed time on Alderaan in Episode 3 - at least enough to know the planet like Cloud City, and care about what happens to it.

3) Then the movie viewer's trusted to carry the memory of Alderaan with them when they watch the Death Star destroy the Princess' home world. The memory is all Leia carries with her too. She is the focus of our empathy, as we are remembering Bail Organa just as she is, but the Princess is also our hope because while Tarkin taunts her in one of Cushing's best scenes - we can't wait for the Princess to get away from Vader and grab a blaster and kick some Imperial-butt!

But that movie, Episode 4, is about Princess Leia (in that scene) and that is the character we need to go through experiences with in order to identify with her and care about what happens to a main hero of the movie.

Leia does not see her adopted father, nor should we. We are left with the same empty feeling of missing someone, and the same desire to pick up a blaster and take revenge. That's what we should be thinking about when Leia grabs Luke's gun and joins in the fight!

Let's not use effects and inserted cameo appearances to distract from the story. I think Carrie Fisher would agree!

stillakid
03-13-2002, 11:50 AM
I think it respects the movie viewer's intelligence to not show Bail Organa in Episode 4.

1) I am supposing and hoping that Bail Organa becomes a prominent secondary character in E3 (in the likes of Watto, or Sebulba, or Palpatine's screen time, versus that afforded Captain Tarpals).

2) I am supposing we get to see and spend detailed time on Alderaan in Episode 3 - at least enough to know the planet like Cloud City, and care about what happens to it.

3) Then the movie viewer's trusted to carry the memory of Alderaan with them when they watch the Death Star destroy the Princess' home world. The memory is all Leia carries with her too. She is the focus of our empathy, as we are remembering Bail Organa just as she is, but the Princess is also our hope because while Tarkin taunts her in one of Cushing's best scenes - we can't wait for the Princess to get away from Vader and grab a blaster and kick some Imperial-butt!

But that movie, Episode 4, is about Princess Leia (in that scene) and that is the character we need to go through experiences with in order to identify with her and care about what happens to a main hero of the movie.

Leia does not see her adopted father, nor should we. We are left with the same empty feeling of missing someone, and the same desire to pick up a blaster and take revenge. That's what we should be thinking about when Leia grabs Luke's gun and joins in the fight!

Let's not use effects and inserted cameo appearances to distract from the story. I think Carrie Fisher would agree!

Two key words popped out to me in the above, those being "trust" and "cameo."

The Phantom Menace proved that GL didn't (doesn't?) trust the audience or it's ability to understand a story which accounts for some very over-the-top blatant writing.

And, while the original trilogy's success hinged on the story at hand, Lucas again doesn't trust his story enough, so he is making obvious use of cameo appearances by well-established movie stars to draw an audience into the theater (Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Jimmy Smits, Sam Jackson, N'Sync, etc) Using CG technology or simply reediting the classic trilogy to include some of these faces would seem to be nothing short of a marketing scheme to sell more copies.

Special effects of any kind have their place and their time. From what I've seen in the trailers, GL is using digital fx in AOTC to his advantage, I believe, to help facilitate the telling of the story (animating robots, letting Yoda float, creating impossible to build sets, etc). But like any weapon, it has it's dangerous edge too.

mark2d2
03-13-2002, 12:42 PM
Ruin a flawless scene by inserting additional footage of Jimmy Smitts? Showing him looking up and seeing a shadow? Cheesy. And stupid. Just because he sees the Death Star, how would he know he was doomed? I thought that nobody knew about it's capabilities? That the whole point of obliterating Alderaan was to "Make an effective demonstration."

Frankly this idea is even worse than my fear of them showing all of Vaders officers being brought back to life.

It's bad enough the new movies suck. But does he have to obliterate the OT as well? God, I'm depressed.

plo koon 200
03-13-2002, 05:47 PM
I can actually say that what Jar Jar said about The Archival Editions is completly true. Information on them has been posted on both theforce.net and aldera.net I believe. Unfortunately, the scene happens almost as Jar Jar describes and yes Jimmy is alos added to E1 in the Senate as well. There are also a few other things but because I might be getting into spoilers I wont mention them here. The real reason why I came here was to talk about the new poster. Since, the poster came around the same time as this trailer I thought it might be appropiate to give our views for it.
I thought the poster was really well done. I really liked how C-3po and R2 were but to the side. I also liekd how Padme was leaning on Anakin. The only thing that was a little bit disturbing was how prominent Jango was. But, like I said I really liked how 3po and R2 were like in the poster.

Tycho
03-14-2002, 04:06 AM
I have a lot to disagree about there (on the poster).

Fan-made posters for E2 showing Naboo and done in the romance novel cover-style had really gotten me hopeful we'd see something different, never before seen in Star Wars, such as the Vanity Fair cover style.

The dark imagery of Kamino also gave me hope, that E2, a darker movie, would have a poster modeled after that, or maybe Coruscant after nightfall.

The color-choices, which really remind me both of the E1 poster, and of Tatooine, have been done already. Enough with the red!

As to the artwork choices? Padme looks great - I'll give Drew that!

I also like Jango being in there, but I might have used the helmet visor, sort of like how Maul's eyes were done, or like Hasbro typically does enemy head shots.

R2 and C-3PO do not need to be in there. They were on the Episode One poster and the Episode Six poster. They weren't on A New Hope's or Empire's. Why do they have to be on every prequel poster? There's too many characters.

And where is Dooku? I heard something from a friend who said Dooku isn't allowed on the poster because of some spoiler to do with Episode 3. Can't figure what that would be or what the heck it has to do with an E2 poster?!?

Meanwhile, the poster is pretty good, but I would have gone with a darker color scheme, or a sweeping bright romance cover look since it's the only movie of the six you can get away with that for, and it might bring back the audience that flocked to see Titanic. At the very least, it could be easier for a lot of us guys to see a movie we actually want to see while we're on a date. But Naboo, Kamino, or Coruscant could all be reflected in an E2 poster and would have given it a very unique and cool new look!

So yeah, I'm slightly disappointed.

jedibear
03-14-2002, 04:20 AM
....was at the order of Lucasfilm. Was in an email exchange between Dew & a fan complimenting him on the poster. (So put what ever stock you want in THAT.)

I like the poster alot. It makes perfect sense that R2 & Threepio would be in the poster...it's in this film where we REALLY see that relationship develop in additon to Padme and Anakins...
I also like that the right side of the poster fades off into blue (and darker) hues...here's hoping he really takes off with that with the Episode III art.

Yes, it really has alot of oranges & browns in it again, but Tatooine plays a very important part in the film so I like the twin suns blazing in the background alot.

Jango makes such a stark contrast on the poster...it looks great.

My only niggle is I wish Obi-Wan was figuring a little more promenantly, but he still looks good...

Now...to keep this thread somewhat on topic....has anyone gone back and viewed the "Clone" trailer and feel a little differently than their first impressions (on way or the other)?

mark2d2
03-14-2002, 04:29 AM
Okay, I even whipped out my Star Wars Collectables book, and R2D2 and C3P0 are on nearly every movie poster they show for the OT. So, it makes sense to me that they'd be there.

Why not? They tie all the movies together. Frankly, if it wasn't for their continuing presence I'd have little use for these new films . . .

Tycho
03-14-2002, 12:50 PM
You are forgetting that Darth Vader (as Anakin) and Obi-Wan Kenobi are still in these films. Those are the characters I'm watching! It's in my nature to want to see Anakin fight back! The Dark Side is in all of us.

Now I never really took to the droids that much - ever. R2D2 maybe moreso, but I've always found Threepio annoying (though I think he was supposed to be). Perhaps that's why JarJar doesn't bother me as much. His antics, while more visual than verbal, were more of the same to me. I just sort of tune these characters out when I'm not in the mood for them.

But to each their own. Somebody out there has Captain Lennox as their favorite SW character.

Rogue II
03-22-2002, 08:34 PM
I watched the trailers online. It showed the clone troopers getting on some sort of transport. Is it the same transport that became the Jawa Sandcrawler?

I thought I read in one of the books the Jawas salvaged their Sandcrawlers from somewhere....

stillakid
03-22-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II

I thought I read in one of the books the Jawas salvaged their Sandcrawlers from somewhere....

Yeah, the Sandcrawlers were supposed to be abandoned mining vehicles from some previous civilization or something. Another "borrowed" element from Frank Herbert's "DUNE" series.

mark2d2
03-22-2002, 11:29 PM
Maybe now we'll finally get that Sand Crawler reissue I keep babbling on and on about . . .:D :) ;) :evil: :crazed: