PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Unveils 'Star Wars: The Black Series' Line

SirSteve
01-29-2013, 11:04 AM
You can view the page at http://www.sirstevesguide.com/content.php/1349-Hasbro-unveils-Star-Wars-Black-Series-action-figures

SirSteve
01-29-2013, 11:09 AM
I heard this was coming... I am sure we will see more on the 9th while at Toy Fair!

Beast
01-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Ouch. $19.99 each.

Hopefully there will be some deals to be had. But Luke looks awesome.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-29-2013, 11:38 AM
This is very interesting - it looks like the SW version of Marvel Legends. The packaging look is very nice and classy and the Luke looks pretty great. I don't know how much space, time, and money I can devote to collecting a whole new scale, but I'll probably pick up some of them.

Interesting that the 3 3/4" line will continue under this "The Black Series" banner as well. I'm assuming this is what is replacing TVC? The article even calls the figures vintage-style, so presumably they won't just be continuing the actual vintage look. Though I wonder if this is partly to place the great articulation, paint, and sculpts into one line and have the 3 3/4" figures scale back on some of these aspects. Toy Fair really can't get here fast enough!

Tycho
01-29-2013, 11:51 AM
I'm not going to buy the new size. Luke looks great and it is nice detail. Hopefully it will create excitement and sales for the stockholders by the very enjoyment of Star Wars by many new fans, and some of the older ones.

My concerns:

1. Quality in sculpt and detail are NOT sacraficed for the 3 3/4" line.

2. The 3 3/4" line continues with Expanded Universe characters, including more obscure or army-building ones, as well as obscure movie characters. If you cannot identify Nyrat Agira, Rogwa Woodrata, Tzzzvvzzt, Shasha Teil, Taym-dren Garen, Nomi Sunrider, Sylvar, Droma, Anakin Solo, Riff Tamsen, Wagtwo, Senator Farr, etc., you might enjoy them when you learn about them, but regardless, there ARE fans waiting to enjoy figures of these characters and more. As well as an open-Bespin Jacket Luke Skywalker (without belt) from Dagobah from just before Yoda raises Luke's X-wing that's never been made. I'm not buying the next improvement to a Sandtrooper or Darth Vader - or General Grievous and Darth Maul.

3. Regular sized (Corporate Alliance Tank Droid sized, V-wing sized) Class 2 vehicles return and offer new products like Hondo Ohnaka's flying saucer fighter (Rapier-One) and Hondo's pirate tank - as well as things like the Trandoshan hunter pods are made for Class 1 vehicles with figures. The Kamino Clone Labs patrol vessels that kind of look like Slave-One are perfect for on-screen actual MOVIE additions to this set.

But I don't want to spoil others' enthusiasm for this new size.

El Chuxter
01-29-2013, 12:16 PM
I can't wait. These will look awesome next to my Epic Force, Unleashed, Force Battlers, Jedi Force, and all the other excellent mid-size Star Wars figure lines that were canned after a handful of figures!

No one in Wave 1 excites me, but, if there are better figures in a Wave 2 and they actually hit retail, or if Maul or Artoo look awesome in person, I might get them when Ross marks them down to $4.99.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Epic Force
Rotating statues . . .

Unleashed
Ridiculously posed statues . . .

Force Battlers
Super deformed and aimed squarely at kids . . .

Jedi Force
Aimed at kids, tiny, and still going . . .

all the other excellent mid-size Star Wars figure lines that were canned after a handful of figures!
Yes, there have been experiments with other scales, but this is the first time that they're bringing the same level of realism and detail from the 3 3/4" line to a new scale. The previous efforts were just different kinds of toys or statues, not really aimed at the same audience most of the time. As a longtime fan of the 3 3/4" line, these Black Series figures could be the first new line I'm even remotely interested in buying.

happy
01-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Just another reason to STOP collecting Star Wars figures.

El Chuxter
01-29-2013, 01:09 PM
JJL, do you really think that, at a $20 pricepoint, this line will stick around? Whether you liked them or not, all their previous lines were well-executed and sold rather well up until the typical distribution issues and oversaturation of a few unwanted figures hit. Also, keep in mind that Unleashed, with the same target audience as these "Black" figures, wasn't canceled because it didn't sell, but because sales didn't increase as proportionally as the other lines did in 2005.

I don't think that a new scale of figure is the way to reinvigorate the collector base, particularly after most of us have collections of almost twenty years worth of figures in another size (or two).

If these come out in 2012 and aren't clogging closeout store shelves by April 2013, I will eat my Unleashed Darth Vader.

Beast
01-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Considering fans who collect 6" Figures have been begging and pleading for a quality 6" Figure line for at least a decade now... I think it'll do pretty well. The folks on Fwoosh are already chomping at the bit for the line.

And you might as well start eating that Unleashed Vader now Chuxie.. considering they don't come out until around August of 2013... there's no way they can come out in 2012 and go on clearance by April. Do you want ketchup with that?

El Chuxter
01-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Well, then, since I said "if they come out in 2012," that would make that moot.... :)

I'm not trying to be negative; the Luke actually looks quite good. I just have absolutely no faith in Hasbro's ability to deliver it as promised, at least not for more than a couple of waves.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-29-2013, 02:19 PM
As Beast said, I really do think the audience for these is going to be larger and stronger than it was for previous releases, so hopefully Hasbro will be able to meet the demand. Since figures are already $10, I don't think $20 for something at this level of detail is bad. This line is certainly more impressive to the average figure collector than, say, those new $13 12" figures with limited articulation and attached weapons.

JediTricks
01-29-2013, 02:40 PM
We asked Hasbro about this sort of thing way back on November 3rd, 2006...
ActionFigs.com: With Hasbro now producing 6" super articulated Marvel figures, could we eventually see a special line with 6" super articulated Star Wars figures?
Hasbro: We have no plans for this type of figure line. As the heart and soul of the Star Wars collecting world, we are focused on making sure our 3-3/4" line is vibrant, fresh, and exciting first and foremost, along with providing continued newness for our other play patterns (Star Wars Transformers, Unleashed 2", and Galactic Heroes).

Another outlet asked them about that idea a year later, on December 7th, 2007...
JediInsider.com: There seems to be a decent amount of interest from collectors for 6" Marvel Legends style Star Wars figures. What are the chances we might see a line like that in the future?
Hasbro: We will not be producing a line like this for Star Wars. When we have tried other collector-targeted scales (like 7" Unleashed) we found that fan interest, when compared to the 3-3/4" system, is just not as strong. In addition, for kids, the 3-3/4" scale is also the best one for a wide-range of figures and vehicles that play together, which is critical to the Star Wars fantasy. Rather than spread too thin against collectors, we will be focusing our efforts against making sure the 3-3/4" is broad, as we have been for the past couple of years. We should note that the other sublines - Galactic Heroes, Star Wars Transformers, and Unelashed 2", have a very strong following among kids and we will continue these going forward as well.

Surprisingly, that's essentially all I can find in the Q&A about the idea, aside from Hasbro reiterating that stance when discussing the 3 3/4" system's superiority.

Another site is rumoring that this line will be a co-venture with Gentle Giant, which isn't entirely surprising judging from the looks of the sample figure - the types of sculpting and paint remind me more of GG than of Hasbro.

Personally, I'm of a mixed feelings on this. I do like the 3.75" line for its ability to interact with vehicles and for a compact display, but vehicles have dried up in quality and Hasbro's collector-focused figures feel like they're peaked in quality, there were a lot of "ok" figures in 2012 that failed to be wows due to little things but also couldn't be failures, and at $10 a piece an "ok" figure just doesn't satisfy. I also like the look of that Luke pilot 6" figure far beyond the 3.75" figure.

All that said, Hasbro hasn't really earned $20 from me on this yet, that's a lot of coin for not a lot of product, and Hasbro is notorious at missing the boat on fine quality products, they always end up going with mass-market quality paint and production mold crispness. Figures at this scale also tend to be brittle in their joints, and Hasbro has not had good luck in that department either. Will a line of figures this large be able to justify its higher costs? Marvel Legends uses buck parts and simplistic sculpting on the bodies to get around that issue, it wouldn't be possible here obviously. Will this line's complexity cause a quick price skyrocketing, the way TVC did? Finally, my biggest complaint is Hasbro's distribution problems over the last few years, will we get enough figures to satiate, will they clog shelves, will the line budget overwhelm it and shut it down in its infancy?

I do want Hasbro to be able to recapture the collector market, they tried to do so with TVC and it was met with mixed results, I don't want to invest in a new line of figures only to find partway through that it's coming up short and dead without major characters. That doesn't mean I'm out, but it does mean I'm cautious to my feelings on this matter.

Maerj2000
01-29-2013, 03:10 PM
If they are anything like the current figure lines, you'll never see these anyway since new figures never seem to hit retail anymore. At least not in my area. :grey:

Beast
01-29-2013, 03:23 PM
If they are anything like the current figure lines, you'll never see these anyway since new figures never seem to hit retail anymore. At least not in my area. :grey:
Yeah... but a completely new toyline shouldn't have as much trouble in that area.

I wonder if they'll stick with the box design. If they do, I'm sure we'll get a hang tag stuck on.

Especially since shelf space is at a premium and stores will demand they can put these on hooks.

SirSteve
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Disney stepped in! :)

bigbarada
01-29-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm actually pretty excited about this. That Luke figure looks amazing and I'm interested to see what a Sandtrooper and R2-D2 look like in this scale.

There's only a small handful of characters that I would consider paying $20 for 6" scale figures of and, interestingly enough, Luke X-Wing, R2-D2 and a Sandtrooper would be on that list.

I'm suddenly optimistic about the future of Star Wars collecting again.

Beast
01-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Wonder what Wave 2 will have in store. Especially since Wave 1 is kinda quirky.

Judging by the breakdown of Wave 1... I'd assume 2 OT, 1 PT, 1 Army Builder.

So... Boba Fett, Han Solo: Bespin, Mace Windu, and Battle Droid.

Snowtrooper
01-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Its going to be a wait and see for me on this. I'd like to have one in hand to see if it "feels" like its worth $20.

Umbra
01-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Wonder what Wave 2 will have in store. Especially since Wave 1 is kinda quirky.

Judging by the breakdown of Wave 1... I'd assume 2 OT, 1 PT, 1 Army Builder.

So... Boba Fett, Han Solo: Bespin, Mace Windu, and Battle Droid.

The lack of Vader in wave one actually boggles my mind, I can't imagine they'd leave him out for long. Also why all these sandtroopers over regular stormtrooopers?

That being said, no thanks Hasbro. I will throw my voice in with those who worry what it will mean for for the 3.75" line. I'd hate to see quality squandered on the line after all this time. I do agree with Tycho to an extent that I would like to see more EU figures, though with the next trilogy throwing the fate of post-RotJ up in the air, I don't know what, if any we'll see.

However, the Luke picture does look good, and if they hold up as well in person, maybe, maaaaaybe, I'll pick up a few select characters. and a Jawa, because really, I cannot seem to resist those...

Beast
01-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Waiting on rolling out Vader isn't really that big of a surprise. I'd want them to wait until they could really nail the figure. Hell, he might end up being a stand-alone figure release. Like the great 12" Electronic Talking Darth Vader w/ Removable Helmet from the 12" Action Collection line from a few years ago.

Darth Metalmute
01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
This is interesting news. I think I would like to buy some of these based on the first preview, however Wave 1 is not very inspiring. I guess they are trying to keep interest by only releasing one main character at a time. I really want the R2, but I can easily pass on X-Wing Luke. I would rather see a Stormtrooper first than a Sandtrooper, but I will probably pick one up. However the Maul is a terrible decision and just proving but opinion that Hasbro wants to shove Maul down our throats by the bucketful. I only hope that they stay away from the exclusive route.

Beast
01-29-2013, 08:02 PM
1 Main Character? Luke, R2-D2, and Maul are all pretty main character.

Tycho
01-29-2013, 11:35 PM
I thought of 3 I'd buy if they went with my Unleashed: Snowtrooper, Luke Bespin, Qui-Gon, The last who I'd like but would be a major pegwarmer.

bigbarada
01-30-2013, 05:34 AM
I would love to see Bossk in this scale. I could actually see abandoning the 3.75" line almost completely if this line continues on for a while. I've been selling off my collection anyway and I'm currently down to a grand total of 35 action figures, which is likely to get significantly reduced even further. So this new scale is really coming along at a perfect time for me.

As for Vader, I'm hoping that he's not in this first wave because Hasbro is really planning to pull out all the stops and give us an amazing 6" Darth Vader figure.

Beast
01-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Where you been selling them BibB? On Ebay?

Maradona
01-30-2013, 10:00 AM
If 6" figure lines across the toy world are an indication, this line may not stand the test of time. DCU/Marvel Legends are few and far between, MOTUC and DCUC figures are subscription based small lines, DC Collectibles (formerly DC Direct) are collector aimed (small production) and not mass marketed despite having characters currently in use. Star Wars characters outside of Clone Wars are not currently in the public eye. Hasbro could have gone for a 6" line in the heyday of Marvel Legends and LOTR when that scale was a more viable and dominant part of the toy aisle.

At $20, they shouldn't roll out too many figures, maybe 8-12 a year. At that rate, it will take a bunch of time to get the line wide base of figures for traction. There are only a couple of years before the sequels to the OT start and become the focal point of the line. Maybe Hasbro just sees this as a filler line until the sequels start.

bigbarada
01-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Where you been selling them BibB? On Ebay?

Yeah, I've been using eBay for most of it; but I also used Craigslist to sell off the big stuff like my BMF and BAT-AT. I don't currently have anything listed, but I need to get something up for sale before the end of the week.

JediTricks
01-30-2013, 04:07 PM
We had an interesting conversation about this last year, MSP posted this Essential Characters Poll for "what if we started over again": http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/45907-Essential-Characters-Poll-What-if-we-started-all-over-again

Luke X-wing and R2 made my list of essentials, but the Sandtrooper did not because I wanted a Stormtrooper instead. Luke X-wing however did not make the final ANH top 12, and neither did the Sandtrooper, so those are somewhat bold choices on Hasbro's part - variations of major characters that aren't in strongest demand and have limited time in the saga.

For $20, they better make that Sandtrooper screen-accurate instead of what they've pulled in the regular line, no more of this "just take the Stormtrooper and put a pauldron and backpack on him" stuff, the armor has a lot of little differences that need to be emulated to get my coin.

Darth Metalmute
01-30-2013, 08:33 PM
1 Main Character? Luke, R2-D2, and Maul are all pretty main character.

Maul only had 15 minutes of air time so I don't really consider him a main character. While Luke is a main character, I would be more excited if the Luke was Dagobah, Besbin, RTOJ, or Tatooine. Without an X-Wing for Luke to fly, Luke in X-Wing gear is kind of useless.

Beast
01-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Maul only had 15 minutes of air time so I don't really consider him a main character. While Luke is a main character, I would be more excited if the Luke was Dagobah, Besbin, RTOJ, or Tatooine. Without an X-Wing for Luke to fly, Luke in X-Wing gear is kind of useless.
He's still a pretty main character. And has a large fan following.

And I don't think Luke: X-Wing needs an X-Wing to earn being made.

We don't have a Rebel Blockade Runner for Captain Antilles either.

Tycho
01-30-2013, 09:01 PM
We should, Beast. I even built 1 I felt so strongly about it

Beast
01-30-2013, 10:16 PM
We should, Beast. I even built 1 I felt so strongly about it
Yeah.... but you're an extreme crazy pants collector. ;)

Darth Metalmute
01-31-2013, 05:33 PM
He's still a pretty main character. And has a large fan following.

And I don't think Luke: X-Wing needs an X-Wing to earn being made.

We don't have a Rebel Blockade Runner for Captain Antilles either.

If you going to start a new line though, and use Luke as your big name, wouldn't you use Jedi or Tatooine Luke over X-Wing Luke?

bigbarada
01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
If you going to start a new line though, and use Luke as your big name, wouldn't you use Jedi or Tatooine Luke over X-Wing Luke?

Jedi Luke... eh, maybe. But Tatooine Luke is actually kind of boring looking because he's just wearing white baggy clothing. With X-Wing Luke, at least Hasbro can produce a highly detailed figure with lots of cool little gadgets on his suit, a helmet, blaster and a lightsaber.

Personally, I think X-Wing Luke is just a more eye-catching design.

If Hasbro has started with Tatooine Luke, then I would still be excited about the potential of the line, but he would instantly go into the "definite pass" category for me. Just not interested in another toy of that outfit, no matter how iconic it is. For me, X-Wing Luke is in the "most likely purchase" category (which is just shy of the "definite purchase" category).

Beast
01-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Yeah... Tatooine Luke isn't really a figure that you can show off cool sculpting with.

Plus in the 3 3/4" line he was made so many times he was a huge snooze each time.

bigbarada
01-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Honestly if Hasbro had premiered this line with "obvious" choices like Tatooine Luke and a plain Stormtrooper alongside R2 and Darth Maul, then I think that would actually not bode well for the future of the line and I would probably be significantly less excited about the announcement. Because it would feel like Hasbro was just going through the motions and wasn't really invested in the new line.

When they start out with secondary outfits like Luke's X-Wing Pilot uniform and the Sandtrooper, then it gets me excited because they seem to be thinking more "out of the box" and not just doing what everyone expects them to do.

Beast
01-31-2013, 06:50 PM
Same reason I'm glad they didn't hit the ground with Luke: Bespin or Luke: Jedi Knight.

Those two are huge fan favorites and seeing them roll out so early would worry me.

Luke: X-Wing and Sandtrooper does exactly what you said. Shows Hasbro has faith in the line.

Darth Metalmute
01-31-2013, 11:58 PM
Personally, I think X-Wing Luke is just a more eye-catching design.

He does look great, there's no denying that. I guess I'm so used to Hasbro pulling the plug on a line I enjoy that I would rather have the iconic figures out first so I can't say, "Man, I wish I had that one...".

I do hope that case assortments are not uneven.

bigbarada
02-01-2013, 12:18 AM
My concerns:

1. Quality in sculpt and detail are NOT sacraficed for the 3 3/4" line.

Wait a minute... you're the guy who's still displaying POTF2-era He-Man Luke, Han, Vader, etc. and you're worried about quality sculpting and detail? :confused:

:p

Tycho
02-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Good point. Those 95 figures have nostalgia for me

Neuroleptic
02-01-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm very interested to see what the rest of the wave looks like.

sebillba
02-05-2013, 10:39 AM
We had an interesting conversation about this last year, MSP posted this Essential Characters Poll for "what if we started over again": http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/45907-Essential-Characters-Poll-What-if-we-started-all-over-again

Luke X-wing and R2 made my list of essentials, but the Sandtrooper did not because I wanted a Stormtrooper instead. Luke X-wing however did not make the final ANH top 12, and neither did the Sandtrooper, so those are somewhat bold choices on Hasbro's part - variations of major characters that aren't in strongest demand and have limited time in the saga.

This reminds me of that Titanium series of figures.... I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the only Luke in the line was either X-Wing or Snowspeeder pilot, and there was a sandtrooper but no stormtrooper.

bigbarada
02-05-2013, 12:43 PM
This reminds me of that Titanium series of figures.... I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the only Luke in the line was either X-Wing or Snowspeeder pilot, and there was a sandtrooper but no stormtrooper.

Which makes me think that Boba Fett, Bossk and Darth Vader aren't very far behind. IG-88 seems like an almost sure thing as well.

It seems like someone at Hasbro has a definite liking for Sandtroopers, X-Wing Luke and Bossk. Which is great, because I have a definite liking for those characters as well. :cool:

JetsAndHeels
02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
I've gotta have Boba Fett. Gotta.

El Chuxter
02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
It's Hasbro. You're practically guaranteed Bossk, Greedo, Aurra Sing, and Momaw Nadon in the early waves. lol

Beast
02-05-2013, 02:13 PM
It's Hasbro. You're practically guaranteed Bossk, Greedo, Aurra Sing, and Momaw Nadon in the early waves. lol
We never got a 12" Momaw Nadon though. And 12" Greedo was originally only available through J.C. Pennys.

bigbarada
02-05-2013, 02:30 PM
We never got a 12" Momaw Nadon though. And 12" Greedo was originally only available through J.C. Pennys.

Greedo was a pretty crappy 12" figure too. His pistol was molded into his hand.

I've read some complaints on how we used to only pay $20 for 12" figures and now we gotta pay $20 for figures half the size. But I think people are forgetting that most of the early 12" figures were just soft-goods clothing on generic doll bodies with roto-molded heads. Much less of a tooling investment on Hasbro's part than this new 6" line, which will require 100% new tooling on every figure for at least the first few waves.

Beast
02-05-2013, 02:34 PM

I've read some complaints on how we used to only pay $20 for 12" figures and now we gotta pay $20 for figures half the size. But I think people are forgetting that most of the early 12" figures were just soft-goods clothing on generic doll bodies with roto-molded heads. Much less of a tooling investment on Hasbro's part than this new 6" line, which will require 100% new tooling on every figure for at least the first few waves.
Exactly. It's kinda apples and oranges. Plus prices have gone up quite a bit since the days of the 12" line.

I'm sure if they rolled the 12" line out they would be closer to $30 now. IIRC they hit $25 before the line died.

sebillba
02-05-2013, 04:34 PM

I would definitely be in for a Greedo. Greedo and Yoda are pretty much my only guaranteed buys. I'll probably be very tempted by others, but the first wave selections aren't really grabbing me, though Luke does look like a very nice figure. I don't really want to start collecting these, but I know I'll have a hard time resisting if I see them in stores over here.

JediTricks
02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
This reminds me of that Titanium series of figures.... I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the only Luke in the line was either X-Wing or Snowspeeder pilot, and there was a sandtrooper but no stormtrooper.Snowspeeder, and that's quite an interesting comparison I wouldn't have thought of, very good point. I wonder if that choice is conscious or unconscious on Hasbro's part.

Which makes me think that Boba Fett, Bossk and Darth Vader aren't very far behind. IG-88 seems like an almost sure thing as well.

It seems like someone at Hasbro has a definite liking for Sandtroopers, X-Wing Luke and Bossk. Which is great, because I have a definite liking for those characters as well. :cool:I would hope they'd have a longer game in mind here, but you're probably right. This is one of the problems with a "definitive characters only" line though, it's easy to run out of steam with A-listers before you get through the worthy B-listers.

It's Hasbro. You're practically guaranteed Bossk, Greedo, Aurra Sing, and Momaw Nadon in the early waves. lolUgh, really hope they don't expect to make money off Aurra Sing figures.

I've read some complaints on how we used to only pay $20 for 12" figures and now we gotta pay $20 for figures half the size. But I think people are forgetting that most of the early 12" figures were just soft-goods clothing on generic doll bodies with roto-molded heads. Much less of a tooling investment on Hasbro's part than this new 6" line, which will require 100% new tooling on every figure for at least the first few waves.And the cut-n-sew on those 12" figures was really just taking advantage of massively out of balance manufacturing payrates in Asia in the '90s. No, your argument is exactly right on, and that's what worries me about this line, can Hasbro keep this line from going off the rails in its pricepoint?

I would definitely be in for a Greedo. Greedo and Yoda are pretty much my only guaranteed buys. I'll probably be very tempted by others, but the first wave selections aren't really grabbing me, though Luke does look like a very nice figure. I don't really want to start collecting these, but I know I'll have a hard time resisting if I see them in stores over here.I can't see paying $20 for a tiny Yoda figure on its own, can you? I'd definitely need every accessory imaginable to make up for his tiny stature, from cane to snake to stewpot to backpack.

Beast
02-06-2013, 03:40 PM
I can't see paying $20 for a tiny Yoda figure on its own, can you? I'd definitely need every accessory imaginable to make up for his tiny stature, from cane to snake to stewpot to backpack.
They'll probably do what they did with that one 3 3/4" Yoda figure. Or even the original POTF2 one that included the Dagobah Luke Backpack. Yoda can absolutely be packed out with enough stuff to justify the $20.00 price point if they go that route. Yoda's Lightsaber, Cane, and Luke's Lamp. And if they put Dagobah Luke out in the same wave, the backpack. There's other alternative pack-ins as well. His lil hoverchair from the PT.

sebillba
02-07-2013, 02:45 AM
I can't see paying $20 for a tiny Yoda figure on its own, can you? I'd definitely need every accessory imaginable to make up for his tiny stature, from cane to snake to stewpot to backpack.

Absolutely I would! As Beast says, there are a wealth of accessories from both OT and PT that could be included to beef up the VFM. But aside from that, I would expect Hasbro to finally make a SA Yoda, with the now standard 14 POA - no swivel joints this time! And also to sculpt a decent likeness, which they don't seem to have managed since the first POTF2 figure. I would also be persuaded to buy Bespin/Dagobah Luke if he was in the same wave, and the backpack was included with Yoda.

Yoda is my favourite SW character, and size matters not when it comes to a potential purchase. I recently bought the Jedi Attack Fighter set for 19, predominantly for a tiny figure, which was all-new (and not badly painted compared to all the other examples I've seen). Sure, there was a ship included, but I don't really collect vehicles, and wouldn't have bought this if it wasn't for the figure. Having said that, I've wanted Yoda to have his own ship since 1980 (used to make them from Lego), and I'm pleasantly surprised how much I love this set!

Beast
02-10-2013, 12:44 AM
From Rebelscum: Interesting info on the line. :)

Black Series 6-Inch

The Black series 6-inch figures will start with four characters, Luke X-Wing, R2-D2, Sandtrooper and Darth Maul. The six-figure case ratios will be managed to ensure more popular characters are packed in greater quantities. At this time, the plan is to go with 75 percent Original Trilogy to 25 percent Prequel Trilogy character ratio. The focus of the line is fan favorites and best of characters. At this time secondary and tertiary characters are not in the plans, and neither are Clone Wars or Expanded Universe characters, but as the line progresses the possibility to introduce these character exists. The opportunity to introduce beasts (Wampa, Dewback, Tauntaun) and small vehicles (Speederbike) also exists depending on how the line is received by collectors.

Six inch figures will use both soft goods and plastic with the final choice being given to the designer creating the figure. This means some figures will come with soft goods, while others—such as the Darth Maul—will come with plastic robes. Hasbro hinted that a San Diego Comic-Con exclusive will be a Boba Fett with Han Solo in Carbonite two pack, but didn't confirm it. We also asked Hasbro who on the team loves Sandtroopers, since we've seen a lot of them in both the 3-3/4 and now 6-inch scales, and they told us everyone!

bigbarada
02-10-2013, 12:54 AM
I had to laugh at that last sentence about the Sandtroopers. :D I find it funny because I love Sandtroopers too.

Tycho
02-10-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm very disappointed and have no plans to buy any product shown at Toy Fair.