PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars - The Black Series: 6" Wave 1 Discussion Thread!

Beast
01-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Wave 1:
Luke Skywalker: X-Wing Pilot
R2-D2
Darth Maul
Sandtrooper

So what does everyone thing of Wave 1 of The Black Series so far?

I know I am pretty excited by the line. And I haven't really collected Star Wars in ages.

So what's everyone's opinions and hopes for Wave 1? I'm sure we'll see more at Toy Fair.

Beast
01-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Luke Skywalker: X-Wing Pilot - The only figure we've seen images of so far. But wow... they did a great job on Luke. While the face sculpt isn't perfect... it's a pretty good approximation for Mark's appearance in the films. I really love the detailing on the Uniform and Helmet. And if the rest of the wave is as good as this... Hasbro has a license to print money. One thing I'm not thrilled by is it looks like the lightsaber has a removable blade rather than just having a separate unlit hilt. But at this size I don't think it'll be as big of an issue. It's a huge pet peeve on the 3 3/4" line though due to the small fragile pegs.

R2-D2 - I'm probably most excited about what R2-D2 will end up looking like. Especially since they have to justify the same price point on him as the rest of the line. I'm expecting a chromed dome like the 12" figures from a few years back. I don't know whether they'll do lights and sounds, but I can see at least lights included. And hopefully they make him like the definitive R2-D2 with opening doors and variety of tools and attachments from all 6 of the Star Wars films. I think we can absolutely expect 1 smaller figure per wave to balance tooling costs out on the line. So I expect Yoda, Jawa, etc. in future waves.

Darth Maul - Here's the other figure I'm really intrigued on seeing what they do with him. Especially since they've never really nailed a perfect Darth Maul in my opinion in the 3 3/4" line. Hopefully we'll see some accurate horns for once. I'm not sure what sort of facial expression I'd want though. I'm leaning towards a calm face... though I do like seeing the gritting teeth pose on some of the smaller scale figures. The big question is whether they'll use soft goods for skirts and cloaks to maintain articulation. I've seen debate about both choices. But honestly I would rather see well done soft goods than plastic.

Sandtrooper - Yeah I know... why not start with a Stormtrooper. Well I have a feeling we'll be seeing a variety of Troopers across the life of the line. Probably at least one army builder per wave. Regular Stormies, Snowtroopers, Clonetroopers, and Biker Scouts. And a lot more along those lines. Hopefully they go for screen accuracy on the armor differences between Sandies and Stormies. I do wonder if they'll do a running change on the Sandtrooper so that we'll see all 4 of the pauldron colors released in the line. If so, I hope there's some variation to the sand detail and weathering on them as well.

Overall: I am excited by new Star Wars toys for the first time in a very very long time. While the first wave is a little quirky due to the choices... it's leaving me wanting more and excited for Toy Fair. Hopefully Wave 2 makes myself and others go... "Oh my god, why isn't this wave 1!" I'm also hoping we see a stand alone "Deluxe" type of Darth Vader at a slightly higher price point. Kinda like the 12" Action Collection's awesome Electronic Talking Darth Vader w/ Removable Helmet. I love the packaging as well and wouldn't change a thing. It's kinda nice to see a simple classy toy packaging design for a change.

bigbarada
01-30-2013, 07:52 PM
This has definitely reinvigorated my interest in Star Wars collecting. Until this announcement, it was looking like 2013 was going to be the year that I quit Hasbro once and for all. Now I'm more excited than I've been in years.

In fact, it feels similar to the excitement that I felt back in 1994, when the first images of the new POTF2 line started to show up. Not that the quality of those figures was in any way comparable to what we've seen with X-Wing Luke so far, but it's just the feeling of unlimited potential and optimism that a fresh start always brings.

With the exception of Darth Maul, I'm pretty happy with the choices in the first wave.

Luke X-Wing - I know that Farmboy Luke would be more iconic, but I actually wouldn't be as interested in yet another incarnation of Farmboy Luke. This and an ROTJ Jedi Luke would probably be the only 2 versions of Luke that I am interested in for this scale. As for the figure itself, he looks amazing! I think the face sculpt is great. Some people seem to be nitpicking the likeness, but I don't have a problem with it at all. As long as it looks like Luke Skywalker, then I don't really care if it looks exactly like Mark Hamill or not. In my mind, Mark Hamill is not Luke Skywalker, he's just the actor who portrayed Luke in the movies.

R2-D2 - I'm definitely excited to see what Hasbro does to justify a $20 R2 figure. I'm not sure if I want to see a vac-metalized dome, though. I would prefer a really nice metallic paint job so that he matches how R2 looks in the film.

Sandtrooper - I'm probably most excited about this one. It could potentially be the highlight of the first wave; but I do hope that they pay attention to the differences between the Sandtrooper and Stormtrooper armor and not just give us a Stormtrooper with a shoulder pad. I also think there is good potential for army-building, even with the $20 price; so I think Hasbro should include all three pauldron colors with this initial release.

Darth Maul - I'm about 90% sure that I will skip this one. My interest in Prequel characters is nearly non-existent right now.

Adam
01-31-2013, 12:37 AM
I have to admit, this year was looking dire for me as well. I'm pretty interested in this series although I'm not sure I will be a completist. All four wave one figures have some appeal, although I'm pretty tired of Sandtrooper anything at this point. It will have to be really nice to get my attention.

Beast
02-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Here's a new pic of the Luke Skywalker: X-Wing Pilot figure from the Nuremberg Toy Fair.

I know we can't really judge by Toy Fair pics. But this pic is an improvement on the Press Release pic.

JediTricks
02-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Damnit, the eyes there are Hasbro production-quality, I really hope they're not so unsubtle on the final production level. There's even big catchlights painted on there like this was the 12" line from a decade ago! They need to get the eyes painted right in this line, that's a very big deal for establishing it as a "more than" collector line, no giant eyeballs with way too much whites, no black lines in place of eyelashes, no catchlights or thick eyebrows for that matter.

As for the rest of the figure, it's very glossy and lacks the sculpted nuance of the prototype, but those could both be partly about the overexposure of the image (probably from the insanely hot lighting in the display). Otherwise it looks adequate.

Beast
02-09-2013, 01:31 PM
From the Toy Fair Panel...

From TNI:

8 figures for 2013. New figures revealed are Darth Maul with double bladed lightsaber and removable robe, R2-D2 with all the cool stuff, jet pack, probe, ect. Sandtrooper.

From AFI:

Black Series: they wanted to capture that iconic, scene-specific shot and bring it to life in a new scale. Figures should resonate with SW fans and collectors, and create an emotional connection back to the scenes that inspired them. 6″ figures were born.

-Wave 1: X-wing Luke, Darth Maul (dual lightsaber and cloak), R2D2 (jet packs, probe), Sandtrooper (backpack, pistol, rifle)

JediTricks
02-09-2013, 01:35 PM
I can one-up that, Steve just reported the slideshow ended with 6" Fett with Han in Carbonite teaser!!! SDCC exclusive?

Beast
02-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Here's our very first pic of the 6" Sandtrooper. Awesome!!!

Looking closely at it.... diamond shaped sniper kneeplate and no drop boxes! :D

Beast
02-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Here's great showroom pics of R2-D2, Darth Maul, and Sandtrooper.

Love all the accessories these guys are getting. Best figures ever made. Woot!

bigbarada
02-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Yeah, the Sandtrooper looks like something you would pay Gentle Giant or Sideshow $150-$200 for. It's amazing! Plus, the $20 pricetag is not going to stop me from buying multiples. Really nice to see the Sandtrooper-specific details on this guy.

R2 looks great as well, but I'm hoping those opening doors fit a little better on the production version. I could have done without the booster rockets for another OT related accessory, but I really have no complaints. It's really the best R2 figure I've seen.

I had planned to pass on Maul unless the photos just totally blew me away. Well, I'm still planning to pass on Maul. ;)

Beast
02-09-2013, 03:44 PM
I think R2-D2 is great. And while you may not like the booster rockets I'm glad they're included.

I can't really think of another accessory that would be better to swap out with them anyway.

Beast
02-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Steve just loaded his great pics from the showroom. Hazzah for more pics!

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/g6518-6-action-figures.html

It's great that R2-D2's dome eye is also in the right spot. Unlike the majority of 3 3/4".

I love how Maul uses minimal soft goods. Having a head w/ attached plastic cloak is brilliant.

bigbarada
02-09-2013, 08:39 PM
I think R2-D2 is great. And while you may not like the booster rockets I'm glad they're included.

I can't really think of another accessory that would be better to swap out with them anyway.

Buzzsaw arm? Drink tray? Holographic Princess Leia? Any, or all, of those would have been better than the booster rockets.

Again, though, it's just nitpicking. I'm pretty excited about it overall.

Tycho
02-10-2013, 10:59 AM
I might buy R2D2 later on down the line on the secondary market or something if Hasbro makes Lando, Leia, Chewie w. 3PO Bespin Escape figures.

Slicker
02-10-2013, 12:54 PM
So they simply upscale the size by a bit and charge twice as much for the same quality? I'm sooooo glad I don't still collect.

These don't look like anything special whatsoever and the fact that they're using lame characters instead of normal main character sculpts is typical of the type of people that are still around. Maul in the first line? :rolleyes:

Beast
02-10-2013, 01:16 PM
You may want to look at the pics again. They are by no means the "Same Quality".

Just compare the detail on Luke: X-Wing to his 3 3/4" counterpart for example. No contest there.

Lame Characters? Luke is lame? R2-D2 is lame? Sandtrooper is lame? That's just bizarre thinking.

And of course Maul is in Wave 1. They had to slot in a prequel character. And he has a large fanbase.

bigbarada
02-10-2013, 01:53 PM
You may want to look at the pics again. They are by no means the "Same Quality".

Just compare the detail on Luke: X-Wing to his 3 3/4" counterpart for example. No contest there.

Lame Characters? Luke is lame? R2-D2 is lame? Sandtrooper is lame? That's just bizarre thinking.

And of course Maul is in Wave 1. They had to slot in a prequel character. And he has a large fanbase.

Yeah, these 6" figures are above and beyond what's possible in the 3.75" line.

Also, I love the character choices except for Maul. If I had to make a list beforehand of 6" figures that I wanted without hearing any announcements from Hasbro, then the Sandtrooper, Luke X-Wing and R2-D2 would have all made it onto my top 10. The Sandtrooper would have likely been in the top 5.

Tycho
02-10-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm only buying these if I can pair them at the same scale with my Unleashed.

Then I want:

Luke Bespin to go with Vader Bespin Unleashed.

Qui-Gon to go with Maul Unleashed.

Snowtrooper to go with Luke X-wing Unleashed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What I want are things that have never been made before that go with my existing collections:

3 3/4" realistic
3 3/4" Clone Wars
12" SideShow

Slicker
02-11-2013, 05:14 PM

And of course Maul is in Wave 1. They had to slot in a prequel character. And he has a large fanbase.Luke X-Wing is lame. Why not use farm boy Luke? You know, the iconic one that everyone knows? R2 is good so that's the only one. Why make a Sandtrooper instead of making a Stormtrooper? And heaven forbid they make a prequel Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan instead of fanboy Maul. This line is dead before even starting.

Beast
02-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Luke X-Wing is lame. Why not use farm boy Luke? You know, the iconic one that everyone knows? R2 is good so that's the only one. Why make a Sandtrooper instead of making a Stormtrooper? And heaven forbid they make a prequel Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan instead of fanboy Maul. This line is dead before even starting.
Cause Farmboy Luke is a boring costume that doesn't really show off impressive sculpting. While Luke: Jedi Knight is more impressive, it's still nothing really special. Luke X-Wing packs in a ton of details and really showcases the sculpt. There's a reason they went with that costume for the Unleashed line a few years back as well. All of the pockets, folds, and equipment. It's really showing what Hasbro can deliver for this line.

Making a Sandtrooper first allows them to show off they're nailing the armor difference between the Stormtrooper and Sandtrooper right out of the gate. Plus they can reuse 80% of it for an eventual Stormtrooper. Plus like Luke: X-Wing they have more cool details to showcase the sculpting. Plus keeping the Stormtrooper back for future waves gives people something to anticipate. And shows that Hasbro has faith in the line. They probably also know they'll have to heavy pack an eventual Stormtrooper so wanna put him in a Wave with less popular characters.

I'm sure they will make Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan eventually. But Darth Maul is a more visually dynamic character.

And you're clueless if you think the line is D.O.A., as almost every forum is ablaze with excitement.

Even from people who would normally never collect Star Wars, because the don't collect 3 3/4".

JediTricks
02-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Buzzsaw arm? Drink tray? Holographic Princess Leia? Any, or all, of those would have been better than the booster rockets.

Again, though, it's just nitpicking. I'm pretty excited about it overall.All good points though. This R2 doesn't even have the opening door for the buzzsaw arm, and the body arms don't move (the angled blue panels just below his dome) either. So the boosters are a compromise to prequelitis. The piece looks good, no question, but they made the choices they made for compromise, not to better the figure.

Beast
02-11-2013, 08:37 PM
If they do a RotJ R2-D2 they can include the Drink Tray and Buzzsaw Arm. No loss there.

The body arms even at 6" would probably be too fragile to articulate them. So no loss.

I can see Holo Leia coming with either Princess Leia:ANH or C-3PO. Since both are Accessory Light characters.

So again... I don't see the issue with including the Booster Rockets. Especially as R2 uses them more than once.

JediTricks
02-11-2013, 10:33 PM
If they do a RotJ R2-D2 they can include the Drink Tray and Buzzsaw Arm. No loss there.

The body arms even at 6" would probably be too fragile to articulate them. So no loss.

I can see Holo Leia coming with either Princess Leia:ANH or C-3PO. Since both are Accessory Light characters.

So again... I don't see the issue with including the Booster Rockets. Especially as R2 uses them more than once.This is an OT figure, remember that the waves are 75% OT and 25% PT, and this wave already has a PT figure in Maul, so this is an unwelcome compromise on a figure that's supposed to represent the OT version of the character.

El Chuxter
02-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Don't mean to sound negative, but for a $20 R2-D2 at approximately three inches tall, he'd better include every single accessory the character is shown using for me to give a fart.

He looks awesome. I won't deny it. But twenty bucks with the collector having to compromise on iconic accessories when those could've easily been included since he's so much smaller than the others? Not acceptable for me.

Beast
02-11-2013, 10:51 PM
This is an OT figure, remember that the waves are 75% OT and 25% PT, and this wave already has a PT figure in Maul, so this is an unwelcome compromise on a figure that's supposed to represent the OT version of the character.
No. He's an Saga Character. As he looks the same in every film in the series. So that's ridiculous to say.

It's not an unwelcome compromise. It's just an accessory you don't like. Get over it.

While it would be great if he had every accessory I can see why they left these few off.

Especially the Drink Tray. Which would make more sense on a RotJ reissue. Same with Saw.

JediTricks
02-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Don't mean to sound negative, but for a $20 R2-D2 at approximately three inches tall, he'd better include every single accessory the character is shown using for me to give a fart.

He looks awesome. I won't deny it. But twenty bucks with the collector having to compromise on iconic accessories when those could've easily been included since he's so much smaller than the others? Not acceptable for me.Yeah, I hear that. This is one of those situations where I feel like Hasbro puts their backs up against the wall with budget choices, they kill features to match budget but put in features nobody wants to see on the piece to compromise, so now they either have to double dip or settle for a lesser-than product.

No. He's an Saga Character. As he looks the same in every film in the series. So that's ridiculous to say.

It's not an unwelcome compromise. It's just an accessory you don't like. Get over it.

While it would be great if he had every accessory I can see why they left these few off.

Especially the Drink Tray. Which would make more sense on a RotJ reissue. Same with Saw.Oh, this is an all-movies figure? That's why every other aspect of it is from the OT, like the Periscope Eye and Luke's ROTJ lightsaber, both seen in ROTJ, as well as the life form scanner and fine welder arm from ESB? And yet there's no oil projector from ROTS, no left-side lower grasper arm from TPM, no dome-based electro-blaster from ROTS, the extension arms inside the linkage control arms from ROTS, pretty much nothing from the prequels except these budget-slaughtering booster rockets. That's an unwelcome compromise, now we don't get a better OT R2-D2 and we don't get a better PT R2-D2, there's no getting over that, it's either a double dip or missed opportunities.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-12-2013, 05:05 PM
All good points though. This R2 doesn't even have the opening door for the buzzsaw arm, and the body arms don't move (the angled blue panels just below his dome) either. So the boosters are a compromise to prequelitis. The piece looks good, no question, but they made the choices they made for compromise, not to better the figure.
The long panel on the left side looks like it opens (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/6-action-figures/p45515-hasbro-star-wars.html). It's not shown open in the official photo or in the booth photos, but it definitely looks like it's a separate piece from the body, so it's entirely possible that the buzz saw is in there (even if it's not completely movie accurate).

The OT still gets three accessories in the periscope, lightsaber, and scanner, plus the saga-spanning arm, so is it really that much of a travesty that they threw us PT fans a bone? It's not like they're these huge, giant accessories - I doubt the drink tray could have been included instead of these; that's a much bigger piece. I don't remember Hasbro saying the waves would be 75% OT to 25% PT - the USA Today article only says the line would "primarily" be OT, and that's not even a direct Derryl quote. You said it yourself that the booster rockets are the only PT accessories, so it's not like the OT's being ignored here or anything.

Slicker
02-13-2013, 05:47 PM
And you're clueless if you think the line is D.O.A., as almost every forum is ablaze with excitement.

Are these the same forums that demanded a Yarna? That one worked out well.

bigbarada
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Are these the same forums that demanded a Yarna? That one worked out well.

I remember being one those people who campaigned for Yarna. However, I also remember how muted my excitement was when she was finally announced. I think every once in a while we want figures just because Hasbro seems reluctant to make them (I think that's the only way to explain Jocasta Nu). While it was nice to check Yarna's name off of the list of never-before-made ROTJ figures, I was hardly excited by the figure. In fact, I didn't buy her right away. It wasn't until she was out for a few months that I actually added her to my collection. Even then, that was hardly an exciting moment.

(And, for the record, I have yet to buy Jocasta Nu and I have absolutely no plans to.)

My excitement level for the 6" line is on a completely different scale and I don't think I'm alone. There's even a Facebook fan page devoted to the upcoming 6" line and it's already received over 1000 "likes" within just a few weeks:
http://www.facebook.com/StarWarsTheBlackSeries

As someone who runs a Facebook fan page, that's no trivial accomplishment.

Anyways, kind of a shift in topic, but I've been hearing a lot of comments about how "strange" the character choices are for wave 1 of the 6" line. I was listening to the "Galaxy of Toys" podcast the other day and they asked what figures we would choose if wave 1 had been up to us.

Personally, I wouldn't change anything except Darth Maul, who I would replace with Bossk. Then have Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Bespin Han Solo and C-3PO for wave 2.

So, if you could choose the first two waves of this line, who would you choose?

JediTricks
02-14-2013, 03:13 PM
The long panel on the left side looks like it opens (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/6-action-figures/p45515-hasbro-star-wars.html). It's not shown open in the official photo or in the booth photos, but it definitely looks like it's a separate piece from the body, so it's entirely possible that the buzz saw is in there (even if it's not completely movie accurate).
Yeah, I saw that panel, it looks like even in their images it's broken on the prototype, or maybe they decided the production model won't have gimmicks on that side, we don't know yet. It's entirely possible that panel is full of gold too. :p

The OT still gets three accessories in the periscope, lightsaber, and scanner, plus the saga-spanning arm, so is it really that much of a travesty that they threw us PT fans a bone? It's not like they're these huge, giant accessories - I doubt the drink tray could have been included instead of these; that's a much bigger piece. I don't remember Hasbro saying the waves would be 75% OT to 25% PT - the USA Today article only says the line would "primarily" be OT, and that's not even a direct Derryl quote. You said it yourself that the booster rockets are the only PT accessories, so it's not like the OT's being ignored here or anything.It's a compromise that does neither OT nor PT fans any favors. Instead of getting an "ultimate" R2 since we're paying "ultimate" pricing, we're getting a handful of gimmicks and it seems to be ensuring that we won't be seeing all the stuff we should be getting in either realm. With this thinking, why not just make all Vaders into 1 figure, with ANH vest robes and ROTS limiting shoulder armor? Why not just make 1 Han Solo figure for the entire saga, so what if he has a different outfit in each movie and looks different as he ages - close enough, right? It's lame and a bad precedent. It's also surprising given the amount of sheer accuracy they put into the Sandtrooper - why show your commitment to such deep collector quality in one figure and then stumble on another? It's not like R2's a large figure or a complex figure or even heavily articulated, so is it a cash grab, is it just budgetitis, is it a lack of vision?

As for the 75% OT thing, I thought it was something said during the presentation, not sure where I picked it up if not there.
EDIT: Rebelscum stated it here, I took it as accurate since they were at the show and I wasn't - http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Toy_Fair_2013_The_Hasbro_Report_150221.asp

Are these the same forums that demanded a Yarna? That one worked out well.Good, good! Let the hatred flow through you. Yarna wasn't really the problem, Hasbro overproducing Yarna, allowing "pie in the sky sales"-minded retailers to dictate production numbers on a figure destined to be a low-seller, and that was the real problem, they should have revamped those wave 1 cases a quarter the way through production to avoid that pegwarmer.

Now if you had pointed out the fan forums' demands for a Sith Infiltrator toy... :p

JediTricks
02-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Anyways, kind of a shift in topic, but I've been hearing a lot of comments about how "strange" the character choices are for wave 1 of the 6" line. I was listening to the "Galaxy of Toys" podcast the other day and they asked what figures we would choose if wave 1 had been up to us.

Personally, I wouldn't change anything except Darth Maul, who I would replace with Bossk. Then have Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Bespin Han Solo and C-3PO for wave 2.

So, if you could choose the first two waves of this line, who would you choose?STRANGE?!? I don't get that thinking at all, this is as safe an assortment as you can get.
- Luke pilot is visually distinctive and colorful, and recognizable as a main character yet not so crucial that should there be bugs to work out in the line they will have ruined a significant entry.
- R2-D2, uh, duh!
- Sandtrooper is a statement that this brand is willing to go the extra mile to get collector needs right, and it's also an adventurous version of an iconic Star Wars mainstay.
- Darth Maul is the prequels it-boy, he's visually distinctive and an obvious bad guy, he's the poster boy for Ep 1, and he's alien.

Tycho
02-14-2013, 05:18 PM
I have to agree with JediTricks (and Hasbro) here.

Their marketing plan:

1 PT
3 OT - makes sense in terms of demand for this price range.

also:

1 hero
1 alien
1 droid
1 troop builder

Main OT:

Han
Luke (X-wing - made)
Leia
Chewie
R2 (R2D2 - made)
3PO
Vader
Stormtrooper (Sandtrooper - made)
Lando
Boba Fett
other alien / Ewok / from Jabbas / or from the cantina

Main PT:

Qui-Gon
Obi-Wan
Anakin
Padme
Darth Maul (made)
JarJar
Battle Droid / type
Palpatine / Darth Sidious / Emperor
Darth Tyranus
Jango Fett
General Grievous
other alien

That being said, I'd leave wave exactly as it is.

BigBarada asked who would I choose? I'll answer for wave 2:

C-3PO
Darth Vader
Chewbacca
TPM Obi-Wan Kenobi (because they made Maul already, and the last PT character was both alien and a villain)

All this being said, I still would only buy Luke Bespin, Snowtrooper, and Qui-Gon if they match my Unleashed (approx)

Beast
02-14-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm guessing we might see one "Small" character per wave to balance costs as well.

R2-D2 this wave. Yoda, Jawa, etc. in future waves.

Slicker
02-14-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm guessing we might see one "Small" character per wave to balance costs as well.

R2-D2 this wave. Yoda, Jawa, etc. in future waves.Balance costs? So $20 for a single 6" figure isn't enough? Now they're gonna rip you off by giving you half of a figure for the same price?

Tycho
02-14-2013, 09:36 PM
LOL Slicker. They could re-release Maul as only the top half :p

Beast
02-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Balance costs? So $20 for a single 6" figure isn't enough? Now they're gonna rip you off by giving you half of a figure for the same price?
Man... you have a serious hate on for this line. Not sure why you're so angry.

And as we've already seen with R2-D2 they pack a lot of stuff into those smaller characters.

JetsAndHeels
02-15-2013, 12:25 PM
I think they all look great. I may be getting them all!!

Having said that, Boba Fett and Darth Vader and the two I'm most anxious for.

Slicker
02-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Man... you have a serious hate on for this line. Not sure why you're so angry.

And as we've already seen with R2-D2 they pack a lot of stuff into those smaller characters.It's not so much a hate as much as it is a disgust. Just how these figures have taken a downward spiral to the point that they end up being $20 now. I realize that we had the Unleashed figures but we also had normal 3 3/4" figures to accompany them. But with these they seem to kinda be a main line and they've reduced the number of 3 3/4" figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
It's not so much a hate as much as it is a disgust. Just how these figures have taken a downward spiral to the point that they end up being $20 now. I realize that we had the Unleashed figures but we also had normal 3 3/4" figures to accompany them. But with these they seem to kinda be a main line and they've reduced the number of 3 3/4" figures.
There will be eight $20 6" figures this year, 19 collector-focused $10 3.75" figures this year, and 12 kid-focused $6 3.75" figures this year. It seems like there's an initiative to release fewer items overall but make sure that people can actually find them this time around, which is coupled with the fact that the figures won't even start being released until more than halfway through the year. (There were around 50 Vintage figures in 2012, which had releases throughout the entire year, but most people could only find 12 of them.) Hasbro is just hyping the 6" figures more than they did for Unleashed or other similar lines because they really need to recapture the collector market, which is being lost to companies like Gentle Giant and Sideshow more and more these days (and not helped by people not being able to find Hasbro's stuff).

Tycho
02-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Well I feel like Slicker does but JabbaJohn rocked with the information he brought to this party. Very reasonable.

But I long for the days when the economy and interest held things together when we'd easily see carded Cliegg Lars, maybe Nyrat Agira, Imperial Dignitary Sim Aloo - because the line and the product flow-through would support them being at least one per case in standard releases.

Also the Clone Wars ANIMATED style might have supported Anocanda Farr, Bail Organa, Chancellor Palpatine, Trandoshan hunters, Riff Tamsen, Dutchess Satine, Padme in a non-action outfit - because collectors were also buying animated figures and it could be marginally supported and the product style was not just appealing to the kid market whom Hasbro determined needed an army of Obi-Wans for every customer.

Beast
06-18-2013, 06:59 PM
TNI has posted images of the first wave of the 6" Black Series line.

Wow. They all look great. And I love how much attention to detail they focused on the Sandtrooper.

Like the movie version he doesn't have the thermal detonator on the back of his belt.

http://jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=8&itemid=14709

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Luke's face sculpt doesn't look quite as good outside of Hasbro's lighting, but that's to be expected. Other than that, holy lord, these figures look amazing. I can pretty safely say I'll at least be getting R2-D2 . . . and so it begins . . .

JediTricks
06-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Maul looks awful, the Tatooine look has the big split in the middle plus the immobility of the arms and the odd expression and no droid control band; the Naboo head has really F-grade horns, paint and sculpt are unacceptable even at 3.75" levels, much less a 6" $20 figure.

Luke Pilot's hair is pretty bad, it's cast in orange with blond chunked highlights painted on. The face has a caricature quality to it, the angle is funky so it may be throwing off the likeness, but it could also be the weird paint on the eyes and eyebrows, I'll reserve judgement for the store. Paint on the grip of the pistol is unacceptable, why is it just a band of brown. Helmet does have weathering paint though, that's good.

Sandtrooper looks good, it does have that Hasbro problem of single-level paint so the weathering is either there or bald white. Hoping that left shoulder gap is meant to be hidden by the backpack's shoulder ammo packs (seen from the back), or that's an ugly section. Package has bent right elbow well out of position.

R2-D2 looks good at first glance, but is missing some of the finer details and the sculpting on the body and legs doesn't look any better than a regular sized figure.

Actually, that's my takeaway with a number of elements here, there's not really enough standing out as better than the 3.75" versions, there's a lot of thick sculpting and simple painting, not as much high quality as I had been hoping for. Tons of paint bleed too, and blobby-looking accessories. Hopefully they'll look better in person.

Tycho
06-19-2013, 11:28 PM
I have the General Grievous Unleashed.

I've actually thought about this and to go with him, I might purchase:

the 6" Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS - when that's offered - and it will stop one from pegwarming for sure) and 2 IG-1000 Magna (body guard) droids.

2 6" Super Battle Droids might also replace the Magna Droids.

In the IKEA "detolf" (glass shelf display cabinet) I also want Hot Toys (through SideShow I guess) to make a 1/6th scale General Grievous and the 1/6 scale Grievous Body Guard (of which I could possibly see myself having to spend like $400 to purchase 2 of them).

There will be NO Jedi figures facing them, as I suspect there will be no room for those figures.

In my "Geonosis, Utopau, Mustafar" detolf, I will display the SideShow ROTS Obi-Wan vs. the Hasbro 1/6 scale Grievous (nice figure, really - but you have to use those clear plastic bands to get him to hold the lightsabers). And miraculously, SideShow Cody and 212th Clone fit in there, too. (I liked but never bought the Airborne dude because I'm out of room on that shelf and he came out last).

So when Hasbro makes:

6" Obi-Wan

and IF Hasbro makes:

6" Super Battle Droid or 6" Grievous' body guard...

Beast
06-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Hasbro Toy Shop has Wave 1 up for Pre-Order now at $19.99 each.

Even better... if you spend over $50.00, you get free shipping. Ordered my set from them.

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/SearchResults.htm?SWD=black+series&CDT=1371775822

Beats all the other E-Tailers right now. Since Big Bad Toy Store wants like $10.00 shipping. :)

Beast
06-26-2013, 12:04 PM
It looks like those earlier pics from Ebay might just have been factory rejects.

As here's some new package shocks of Wave 1. Everything looks just fantastic.

http://forum.starwars-figuren.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=514

El Chuxter
06-26-2013, 12:26 PM
I tried to look at the pictures, but I couldn't since I can't read German. :)

JediTricks
06-26-2013, 01:41 PM
It looks like those earlier pics from Ebay might just have been factory rejects.

As here's some new package shocks of Wave 1. Everything looks just fantastic.

http://forum.starwars-figuren.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=514They look like the same run to me. Maul still has stubby rounded-off horns and a giant split robe; Luke still has that weird look on his face and orangey hair and a weird brown band painted for the gun grip; Sandtrooper still has paint gaps at the belt; R2 looks identical.

The only thing that doesn't look the same is the Sandtrooper's gappy shoulder, and that could just be due to the joint being rotated forward on this sample - you can see it's wider at the back. Everything else is clearly angle and light differences.

But "fantastic" is definitely not the feeling I get from seeing these.

Ever the helpful commentary, Chux. ;) Google Chrome auto-translates the page in-browser to say that the second guy has nothing to complain about with the figures and packaging.

Darth Metalmute
06-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Hasbro Toy Shop has Wave 1 up for Pre-Order now at $19.99 each.

Even better... if you spend over $50.00, you get free shipping. Ordered my set from them.

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/SearchResults.htm?SWD=black+series&CDT=1371775822

Beats all the other E-Tailers right now. Since Big Bad Toy Store wants like $10.00 shipping. :)

Thanks for the heads up!
I picked up R2-D2 and Sandtrooper and a transformer. Ended up 3 cents short of free shipping. Added the least expensive thing to put it over.

bigbarada
06-27-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm buying at least one Sandtrooper, possibly up to three. Luke and Artoo are on the maybe list until I can actually see them in person. Maul is a pass.

I'll probably end up customizing at least one of the Sandtroopers with a dark wash to really bring out the details.

sith_killer_99
07-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Wow, I can't believe how bad the R2-D2 turned out from prototype to production, 80% of the detail was lost in the process. The FB page has a comparison with a link to high res images. I am seriously disappointed. The prototype was easily worth the $20.

I hope the rest of them don't fail so badly. :-(

sith_killer_99
07-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Oh, also there has been a confirmed sighting of these in the wild!

JediTricks
07-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Wow, I can't believe how bad the R2-D2 turned out from prototype to production, 80% of the detail was lost in the process. The FB page has a comparison with a link to high res images. I am seriously disappointed. The prototype was easily worth the $20.

I hope the rest of them don't fail so badly. :-(This one? http://www.poeghostal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/star-wars-black-r2d2-prototype-production-comparison.jpg

Yeah, that's brutal. Hasbro has taken an impressive sculpt and let the hacks in their Chinese factory turn it into a real piece of junk. You can see Hasbro's factory vendor simply has no idea how to render a higher-quality mold at all at any level, this literally could be a 3.75" scale figure with how shabby its lines are. Every single aspect of this thing, from materials to deco to sculpt, goes from a genius prototype to a piddling production model. If I were GG, I'd just pull out of this project altogether, having their name attached to product that much worse is going to make them look bad despite it being entirely on the vendor, which is Hasbro's responsibility.

Sculpt - woefully soft. A few finer details entirely cast out. Most likely this was lost during the tooling phase when the prototype was translated to tooling, but also could likely lost with cheap manufacturing procedures - pulling the plastic from the mold too early so it doesn't cool correctly - as well as too cheap a grade of ABS plastic used.

Deco - sloppy masking is largely to blame here, this needed fine attention and instead got crammed into a cheap copper mask to get messy edges and underpainted segments. Not taking more care with paint over the silver dome matching the body leads to a mismatch on the blue despite likely being the same exact paint. Also using a cheap ABS plastic with its inaccurate bald white color robs from the detail that is there, as well as just torpedoing the overall look. The only saving grace is the silver on the dome.

So where is the money going on these? Where is the $20 quality compared to $15 with Marvel Legends and DC Universe and $20 with Masters of the Universe? Why go to the trouble of producing higher-quality prototypes meant to appeal to collectors if you're not going to take the time to actually follow through on them?

If this is the production ethic to be expected on this line, then it's already dead. All the hard work put into design is thrown out the window by cheap crap production, leading to a line that should look like a real improvement in quality instead becoming an uninspiring upsized version of the 3.75" line.

Beast
07-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Wow.... you mean a hand painted prototype with tons of dry brushing to accentuate detail doesn't match the production version? Shock and awe. Anyone who has collected toys for any length of time should be used to that. It's called reality. The only problem with the production R2-D2 is the fact he's a bit too small.

Also, the in-hand images are way better than that shoddy comparison photo you linked to, JT.

And mentioning MOTU is laughable. Given the extensive mold reuse of that line.

Marvel Legends and DC Universe also utilizes a lot of buck bodies and painted details.

El Chuxter
07-10-2013, 03:22 PM
The only problem? Comparison from the prototype to the finished product aside, you really think that's a $20 figure?

Beast
07-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Sure. R2-D2 looks pretty good for $20. Considering all the added tools and accessories. Do I wish he was a tiny bit taller? Sure. Or that they included the Bar Accessory? Absolutely. But that's the only serious problem that I have with the figure. A smaller figure like R2-D2 in a wave usually means they spent extra funds on another figure in the wave. Judging by the awesome sauce Sandtrooper and all his accessories... I feel that is the case here as well.

Also anyone who waggles the finger at Hasbro over this and feels bad for Gentle Giant needs to get over the Hasbro Hate. As Gentle Giant certainly is not perfect either. Their line of upscaled vintage figures proves that.

El Chuxter
07-10-2013, 03:50 PM
All right. To each his own. :)

For me, to justify doubling the price of the figures, they need to do a little more than scaling them up by 60% and maybe adding a couple of joints or accessories. Aside from a couple of high-demand characters, most of the larger scale figures I see in the $20 range rot on shelves for ages, and I'm not seeing anything here that would set the Black Series apart. There's the increase recognition and appeal of Star Wars, but, then again, we've been flooded for almost two decades with the characters we're getting in the Black Series.

Beast
07-10-2013, 04:35 PM
It's a good thing they're not just scaling the figures up then. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-10-2013, 05:12 PM
In-hand pictures are starting to pop up - JTA has shots of Maul (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12021), Sandtrooper (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12022), and Luke with a few shots of R2 (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12023). Here is a shot of all four together. (http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/unname2003/2013/CameraZOOM-20130710143105836_zps09fb7caa.jpg) R2 doesn't look that out of scale here.

While it does appear that the R2-D2 sculpt has been revised since the prototype - including putting the legs on correctly and fixing the bulging doors, which nobody is giving Hasbro credit for fixing - it also looks much better in these shots than it does in the solicitation photo. In that photo, with its completely flat, bright lighting, the blue panels are removed from his legs, making the whole thing look weird. It also appears that the prototype's panels were painted (in addition to being sculpted) while on the final product they are not. Sure there are some problems, but people should judge them by better photos first. Coincidentally, many of the photos I've seen have R2's middle leg out too far, exposing the thick mechanism that's presumably supposed to be hidden. While everyone else seems to be losing faith over these based on the new photos, I'm actually getting more excited for them since now I know what to actually expect.

Beast
07-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Yeah, the shot of all 4 of them together is really awesome sauce. I approve. :)

Darth Metalmute
07-10-2013, 06:32 PM
I don't think R2's height is too bad in that picture, he's supposed to be just over waist high (3.1 feet). I think the real height problem is that of the sandtrooper. Luke was 5'-8" and Jango was 6'-0", yet even considering the armor thickness, he looks way more than 4"-6" taller. Maul (5'-9") even looks tall compared to Luke.

JediTricks
07-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Wow.... you mean a hand painted prototype with tons of dry brushing to accentuate detail doesn't match the production version? Shock and awe. Anyone who has collected toys for any length of time should be used to that. It's called reality. The only problem with the production R2-D2 is the fact he's a bit too small.

Also, the in-hand images are way better than that shoddy comparison photo you linked to, JT.

And mentioning MOTU is laughable. Given the extensive mold reuse of that line.

Marvel Legends and DC Universe also utilizes a lot of buck bodies and painted details.You keep telling yourself that. You don't even buy the 3.75" line for the most part and now you're cheerleading this mess? Have fun talking yourself into believing these aren't a cheap-out for a while. When Hasbro solicited these as collector-oriented, threw in the "Gentle Giant" card, produced those prototypes, and tossed in a fat $20 pricetag, you damn well better believe this R2 should have lived up since it's much smaller than the other figures in the line - and the proto had no dry-brushing at all, it was a clean, SIMPLE deco which itself was missing several potential paint apps, and this didn't even live up to that.

MOTU even with reuse is a better deal for a direct-market line than this cheap mess is for a mass-retail line. And DCU/ML may use buck bodies, but they cost a fifth less, too. Both move nowhere near as much product as SW.

I'm not finding any in-hand pics that look any better than the comparison photo shown, I'm seeing plenty that confirm its accuracy though. Jeez, even the dome looks bad from other angles, the periscope panel doesn't match the rest. If you didn't know the scale on this piece, there's no way you'd guess this is 6" scale, there's nothing that comes remotely close to that quality.

The only problem? Comparison from the prototype to the finished product aside, you really think that's a $20 figure?Exactly.

All right. To each his own. :)

For me, to justify doubling the price of the figures, they need to do a little more than scaling them up by 60% and maybe adding a couple of joints or accessories. Aside from a couple of high-demand characters, most of the larger scale figures I see in the $20 range rot on shelves for ages, and I'm not seeing anything here that would set the Black Series apart. There's the increase recognition and appeal of Star Wars, but, then again, we've been flooded for almost two decades with the characters we're getting in the Black Series.Exaaaaactly!

It's a good thing they're not just scaling the figures up then. ;)They might as well be for how underwhelming these things look, especially Maul and R2.

In-hand pictures are starting to pop up - JTA has shots of Maul (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12021), Sandtrooper (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12022), and Luke with a few shots of R2 (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12023). Here is a shot of all four together. (http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/unname2003/2013/CameraZOOM-20130710143105836_zps09fb7caa.jpg) R2 doesn't look that out of scale here.

While it does appear that the R2-D2 sculpt has been revised since the prototype - including putting the legs on correctly and fixing the bulging doors, which nobody is giving Hasbro credit for fixing - it also looks much better in these shots than it does in the solicitation photo. In that photo, with its completely flat, bright lighting, the blue panels are removed from his legs, making the whole thing look weird. It also appears that the prototype's panels were painted (in addition to being sculpted) while on the final product they are not. Sure there are some problems, but people should judge them by better photos first. Coincidentally, many of the photos I've seen have R2's middle leg out too far, exposing the thick mechanism that's presumably supposed to be hidden. While everyone else seems to be losing faith over these based on the new photos, I'm actually getting more excited for them since now I know what to actually expect.R2 looks woefully out of scale there, he's supposed to come up to the SANDTROOPER's waist, not Luke's. He comes up to 3PO's chest, and 3PO isn't much shorter than Luke. At least 10% too small.

The bulging door on the prototype was standard prototype assembly issue, it was never a concern about fixing it. Same with the legs on backwards. They earn no props from me for doing their job correctly on the production line, that's supposed to be their job, if the licensee had to point it out then they wouldn't be doing their job, so I can only hope the licensee didn't point it out.

Yeah, Hasbro blew the solicitation photo on the production model, but I'm comparing all the things that are the same between the solicit photo and the in-hand samples, and they're notsignificantly DIFFERENT, there is still very budget-level crappy masking, still bald white plastic, woefully soft molding for the scale, and the legs too close to the body. At best, I could say the mismatch between the blue paint on the dome and the body isn't as noticeable on the in-hand shots, but that's it.

When you say the prototype's panels were painted, you mean the panel lines, right? They appear to be sculpted deeply and possibly painted as well, they should have been painted here too.

And that middle leg, jeez that looks horrible, why didn't they just A) sculpt it more accurate in design; and B) sculpt it to stop at the correct height? I can only HOPE that the in-hand shots are bad posing and not that Hasbro screwed up the ankle hinge range of motion that forces the middle leg to be over-extended, that's what it looks like right now.

I don't think R2's height is too bad in that picture, he's supposed to be just over waist high (3.1 feet). I think the real height problem is that of the sandtrooper. Luke was 5'-8" and Jango was 6'-0", yet even considering the armor thickness, he looks way more than 4"-6" taller. Maul (5'-9") even looks tall compared to Luke.The Sandtrooper's height looks ok to me, Luke is a very short guy, and the Sandtrooper is wearing a helmet. The group photo on JTA is at an angle that makes Luke look even shorter.

Overall, this line looks mismanaged to me. They started the recipe for beef wellington at the outset, but cooked it like they were making McDonalds. Things that aren't even acceptable anymore on the regular line's R2-D2s are showing up here. The shoulderpads on the $50 Boba Fett are sloppier than anything the line has done in 34 years of Boba Fett figures, they are unacceptable at 1/18th scale much less 1/12th. The sculpting and painting on Maul's horns is as bad as it was 14 years ago. The Sandtrooper's helmet is at least twice as weathered as his torso, which looks about 30% more weathered than his legs. These are problems we suffer through on the 1/18th scale line because they're cheaper figures and the small scale allows forgiveness. And then the line also has its OWN share of problems in the form of cheap rivet-style capped-pin hinges, and blank spots showing when articulation is used.

bigbarada
07-11-2013, 05:44 PM
The Sandtrooper's helmet is at least twice as weathered as his torso, which looks about 30% more weathered than his legs.

I'm hoping that's something that's going to vary from figure to figure. I'm definitely waiting to buy these in a store because I want to be able to pick out the figure that I think has the best paint job.

Right now, the Sandtrooper is the only must-have for me from this line. I'm hoping to buy multiples. I might pick up Luke and R2 if I happen to have the disposable income AND they manage to seriously impress me in person.

sith_killer_99
07-11-2013, 06:48 PM
I will buy several of the Sandtroopers, I like the pictures. It looks like the pauldron is removable, which begs the question, why didn't they make different color pauldron accessories?

I would like to see a clean version or a regular Stormtrooper in clean armor.

Truthfully, I would love to see all the Imperial bad guys for this line, Snow Trooper, Scout Trooper, TIE Pilot, Death Star Gunner, Death Star Trooper, AT-AT Driver, AT-ST Driver, Imperial Officers, etc.

Along with the core characters of course, Han, Leia, Vader, etc.

Beast
07-11-2013, 10:00 PM
R2 looks woefully out of scale there, he's supposed to come up to the SANDTROOPER's waist, not Luke's. He comes up to 3PO's chest, and 3PO isn't much shorter than Luke. At least 10% too small.
Then why is C-3PO TALLER than Luke in every image of the two standing next to each other.

Don't go by official heights from Lucasfilm or Handbooks. They're wrong... seriously wrong.

JediTricks
07-12-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm hoping that's something that's going to vary from figure to figure. I'm definitely waiting to buy these in a store because I want to be able to pick out the figure that I think has the best paint job.

Right now, the Sandtrooper is the only must-have for me from this line. I'm hoping to buy multiples. I might pick up Luke and R2 if I happen to have the disposable income AND they manage to seriously impress me in person.I'm hoping so too, but it's a pretty common thing with Hasbro's vendors for some reason.

Then why is C-3PO TALLER than Luke in every image of the two standing next to each other.

Don't go by official heights from Lucasfilm or Handbooks. They're wrong... seriously wrong.Because Luke is able to bend and hunch and adjust his body naturally, while 3PO is rigidly stiff. Also, some shots are just terrain or slight changes in distance to the camera lens. See these shots for signs that Luke is slightly taller:
http://photos.imageevent.com/afap/wallpapers/movies/starwarsanewhope//Luke%20Skywalker%20and%20C3PO.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/the_80s_chick/blog/muppetmark01.jpg
http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/02/7/3/5/5240902564718557.jpeg

sith_killer_99
07-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Anthony Daniels is said to be 5 ft. 9 in. and Mark Hamill is said to be anywhere from 5 ft. 7 inches to 5 ft. 9 inches.

In either case, Mark is at best the same height as Anthony Daniels, but you have to consider that, 1) Daniels is always standing upright as C-3PO and 2) Daniels is wearing a helmet and metallic boots, that adds height to C-3PO. I would say Daniels is slightly taller than Hamill in costume, at least by an inch of two.

Honestly, I always sorta pegged C-3PO at near 6 ft. so if Daniels is 5 ft. 9 inches, add maybe 2 inches that puts him at 5 ft. 11 inches.

But then again, let's not forget Hamill wear boots in a lot of scenes as well, which may add to his height.

Then again, I suspect 5 ft. 9 is on the HIGH side, after all Hamill is a little short for a Stormtrooper.

Does anyone know the average height of a Stormtrooper?

Wait, wut?

bigbarada
07-12-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm pretty sure Hamill and Daniels are in the 5'7" to 5'8" range. Both actors' official height is listed as 5'9", but most male actors will exaggerated their height in order to get more roles; so you can't really go by their official heights.

In fact, George Lucas is "officially" listed as 5'7" tall; but since he's not an actor looking for leading man roles, he has less reason to lie about his height:

I'm pretty sure Stormtroopers are supposed to be in the 5'11" to 6'0" range. So that is a 4-5 inch difference between Luke and a Stormtrooper.

JediTricks
07-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Anthony Daniels is said to be 5 ft. 9 in. and Mark Hamill is said to be anywhere from 5 ft. 7 inches to 5 ft. 9 inches.

In either case, Mark is at best the same height as Anthony Daniels, but you have to consider that, 1) Daniels is always standing upright as C-3PO and 2) Daniels is wearing a helmet and metallic boots, that adds height to C-3PO. I would say Daniels is slightly taller than Hamill in costume, at least by an inch of two.

Honestly, I always sorta pegged C-3PO at near 6 ft. so if Daniels is 5 ft. 9 inches, add maybe 2 inches that puts him at 5 ft. 11 inches.

But then again, let's not forget Hamill wear boots in a lot of scenes as well, which may add to his height.

Then again, I suspect 5 ft. 9 is on the HIGH side, after all Hamill is a little short for a Stormtrooper.

Does anyone know the average height of a Stormtrooper?

Wait, wut?Harrison Ford is listed as 6' 1", here's pics with Han & 3PO and you can see Han is considerably taller even with the 3PO helmet's extra height:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwyw00BTQZ1r6ol5zo1_500.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B2Q9d8OQY4E/T6Q6Xma9RyI/AAAAAAAACOw/KLcX6NGKTJQ/s400/han_solo-c3po.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/1004449_140431346162823_1614110113_n.jpg

Also, note that Alec Guinness is listed as 5' 10" and still taller than 3PO here:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CjcQXqAZA6k/TVlIPir6TwI/AAAAAAAAEfc/R8FLDD6CHeo/s1600/10.jpg

And I met Anthony Daniels in person briefly at C4, I'm 6', he seemed a little shorter than 5' 9" to me.

As for the boots, everybody in the series is wearing low-heeled boots or flat boots, with heels that seem to vary between 1/4 of an inch and 1". 3PO's costume shoes aren't high either. This is a stuntman's version, but this is the version with the metallic soles:
http://www.propstore.com/product/star-wars-ep-vi-return-of-the-jedi/c-3po-costume-foot/
the rest of the time, I think they had Daniels wearing metallic spats over shoes, you can see evidence of this in ANH once or twice.

I'm pretty sure Hamill and Daniels are in the 5'7" to 5'8" range. Both actors' official height is listed as 5'9", but most male actors will exaggerated their height in order to get more roles; so you can't really go by their official heights.

In fact, George Lucas is "officially" listed as 5'7" tall; but since he's not an actor looking for leading man roles, he has less reason to lie about his height:

I'm pretty sure Stormtroopers are supposed to be in the 5'11" to 6'0" range. So that is a 4-5 inch difference between Luke and a Stormtrooper.Agreed on all points, and good find on Lucas and Hamill.

Beast
07-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Toys R Us has Buy 1 Get 1 50% on all Star Wars figures right now. Including Black Series.

Cancelled my Amazon order and reordered from them. Got the full set for an amazing deal.

sith_killer_99
07-23-2013, 08:46 PM
I've been trolling hasbrotoyshop.com trying to score the Boba Fett/Han Solo carbonite since Sunday, no dice.

GG, has the Boba Fett mini bust on their site, but it's only available to "members" and I'm not gonna drop $80 just so I can order a $150 mini bust.

Hopefully Hasbro will get it together and put it up on their site.

JediTricks
08-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Pawlus posted a fairly deep review of 6" TBS R2-D2: http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/story/review-video-star-wars-black-series-6-inch-r2-d2

Ok, I've been reading Pawlus' work since 1996 when I was getting his email newsletters, and I've NEVER seen him come down harder on a figure. The video review is exceptionally generous as usual, but the written review is rough enough (keeping in mind that Pawlus is a bit of a cheerleader) that I am strongly considering canceling my preorder with Amazon.

bigbarada
08-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Pawlus posted a fairly deep review of 6" TBS R2-D2: http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/story/review-video-star-wars-black-series-6-inch-r2-d2

Ok, I've been reading Pawlus' work since 1996 when I was getting his email newsletters, and I've NEVER seen him come down harder on a figure. The video review is exceptionally generous as usual, but the written review is rough enough (keeping in mind that Pawlus is a bit of a cheerleader) that I am strongly considering canceling my preorder with Amazon.

The more I see of that R2 the less I want it. It's pretty much a definite pass for me now. I'll buy the Sandtrooper and maybe Luke X-wing, depending on how he looks in person; but I see no reason to spend my money on R2 or Darth Maul (Maul looks excellent, but I just have no interest in owning the figure).

El Chuxter
08-04-2013, 11:10 PM
I'd cancel the Amazon preorder, and buy him at Ross in January. :)

JediTricks
08-04-2013, 11:46 PM
The more I see of that R2 the less I want it. It's pretty much a definite pass for me now. I'll buy the Sandtrooper and maybe Luke X-wing, depending on how he looks in person; but I see no reason to spend my money on R2 or Darth Maul (Maul looks excellent, but I just have no interest in owning the figure).I hear ya, had the Sandtrooper been available I would have preordered, but alas it was not. Luke I just don't want to drop $20 on in that outfit at all, it looks ok but I don't want Luke X-wing at this scale, doubly so when there will never be an X-wing for him to pilot.

I'd cancel the Amazon preorder, and buy him at Ross in January. :)If R2 hits Ross in January, we're in deeper trouble around here than expected. I am teetering on the edge of canceling.

El Chuxter
08-04-2013, 11:50 PM
I've rarely seen such a lack of enthusiasm for a figure who's not even been released yet. And I'm still not convinced these are the future of the line; an awful lot of people plan to pick a few figures from this line, if they get any. And the kid appeal is practically nil.

JediTricks
08-05-2013, 12:01 AM
I've rarely seen such a lack of enthusiasm for a figure who's not even been released yet. And I'm still not convinced these are the future of the line; an awful lot of people plan to pick a few figures from this line, if they get any. And the kid appeal is practically nil.Well, it's obviously geared towards collectors, so the kid angle is nil. But the pick-n-choose is due to 2 things: prequelitis is still a divisive thing, and the quality on these is not where it should be.

Beast
08-05-2013, 07:05 AM
I've rarely seen such a lack of enthusiasm for a figure who's not even been released yet. And I'm still not convinced these are the future of the line; an awful lot of people plan to pick a few figures from this line, if they get any. And the kid appeal is practically nil.
Check out 6" Collector Forums. The reaction here is not typical at all.

Frankly Sir Steve's is pretty much dead now anyway. Other than a few 4" Old Skool fans.

El Chuxter
08-05-2013, 11:06 AM
I was actually referring to the majority of folks I know who don't frequent this site. For the most part, it's still "I might get Vader" or "Maul looks good." Given that Hasbro won't change from relying mostly on big box retailers, I'm just not sure how long the line can work, especially when reaction to some figures is so lukewarm already.

I get the impression you think I'm opposed to the line or want it to fail. I don't care--actually, I'd prefer it to succeed so long as no one decides to scrap the 3.75" line entirely. Hasbro's track record with things like this just doesn't give me much hope.

Darth Metalmute
08-05-2013, 09:43 PM
I personally, have little to no interest in getting any prequel figures. that eliminates half of the figure possibility. I also have no desire to get anyone outside of Core Characters or non-Core figure decos. I have no need for X-Wing Luke without a X-Wing. So out of the first 12 fgiures, I only have interest in 7 of them, meaning I will never see those 7 in stock and the 5 I don't want will be shelf warmers.

JediTricks
08-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Pawlus reviewed the Sandtrooper here:
http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/story/review-video-star-wars-black-series-6-inch-sandtrooper-action-figure
He's more positive and the general feeling is excited, but there's an undercurrent of "ugh... why did they do that?" in several places.

Pawlus makes a mistake though, he cites the dot on the front of the Sandtrooper belt as an ugly assembly peg when in fact it's Hasbro and/or GG trying to recreate a shape on the actual armor and just not getting it very right.

Pawlus says Luke is better, which I find surprising.

Rich from RS reviewed Maul here:
http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Photo_Archive_Black_Series_6Inch_Darth_Maul_153570 .asp
Overall a fairly positive review for the base figure, but not much love for the execution of the cloaked experience which is what I expected. I don't understand the point of wanting swivels below the elbow and knee when the hands and feet rotate anyway, those joints wouldn't add anything at all to the functionality. The photos show an unpainted ear stud though, kind of chintzy.

Also reviewed Luke:
http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Photo_Archive_Black_Series_6Inch_Luke_Skywalker_15 3546.asp
A very positive review, although rightfully calling out the unhidden pins for the knee joints. The biggest knock is against the deco on the head, which is what I expected. The review doesn't call out the sloppy vest paint though, and it looks like in their pictures worth noting.

bigbarada
08-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Pawlus reviewed the Sandtrooper here:
http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/story/review-video-star-wars-black-series-6-inch-sandtrooper-action-figure
He's more positive and the general feeling is excited, but there's an undercurrent of "ugh... why did they do that?" in several places.

Pawlus makes a mistake though, he cites the dot on the front of the Sandtrooper belt as an ugly assembly peg when in fact it's Hasbro and/or GG trying to recreate a shape on the actual armor and just not getting it very right.

That's the second Sandtrooper I've seen with some really questionable paint apps on the helmet. I'm really going to have to pay attention to that when I see these in stores. For $20, I expect the paint apps on the helmet to be nearly perfect.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-07-2013, 05:23 PM
These are now showing up more thanks to Target's resets, so I'll be interested to see what people think of these in person - including myself.

sith_killer_99
08-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Really, because I haven't seen squat of these in Texas and all the "resets" at Target say "Saga Legends" and "Mission". Bare pegs all over and not a single indication of Black Series. Walmart -zip, Target - Mission/Saga, Toys R Us - Mission/Saga. Not looking good down south.

mtriv73
08-08-2013, 07:15 AM
The target in Frederick, MD had them the other day. They were in the back and they only had one case with one of each inside. A friend bought the whole thing. I saw the figures at his house and they're okay, but I can't see this being the future of the line.

I really think the shame of this new 6" figure roll out is that the sandtrooper is selling out first. I really hope this doesn't cause Hasbro to think we want nothing but army builders in this line. I can just see a long line of clone trooper repaints coming out next year and rotting on the shelves.

Darth Metalmute
08-09-2013, 03:08 PM
They had the 6" figures at TRU today. Two were left, both Darth Maul. He looked nice in the package, but as I'm not interested in Maul, I passed. Maybe when he shelf rots and reduces in price, I might pick him up.

They also had wave 1 of the black series. They had them all there still, but I'm more interested in Wave 2. In retrospective, I probably should have picked up the Scout Trooper.

JediTricks
08-10-2013, 08:39 PM
That's the second Sandtrooper I've seen with some really questionable paint apps on the helmet. I'm really going to have to pay attention to that when I see these in stores. For $20, I expect the paint apps on the helmet to be nearly perfect.Yeah, it's the simplistic manner with which they apply the paint, if they chose a more competent paint system it'd not be like this.

Basically, Hasbro's manufacturing limitations makes them the McDonalds of the collectible universe, they can take the same concept and ingredients as a gourmet restaurant but it'll still be McDonalds at the end of the day.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-10-2013, 09:21 PM
I saw these at three different Targets today, and while they were very, very impressive in person, the paint apps on all left something to be desired. Maul will almost undoubtedly be my first purchase, but he tended to have a smudge on the nose, or eyes that made him look a little too far to one side, or good paint on one head but poor paint on the other. The Sandtroopers' sand battle damage resulted in some weird mahogany streaks either on the helmet and/or chest that were too noticeable to let slide. All the R2-D2 figures had sloppy blue rings near the base of the dome, which was frustrating. Luke fared the best, but while he looked cool and I've heard great things about the figure, the costume itself is not particularly exciting to me personally. I'm really typically not too picky about paint when it comes to the 3 3/4" figures for a number of reasons - it doesn't bother me too much at that scale, or I'm worried I won't find the figure again, or the figure overall is just so cool it doesn't bother me - but I'm being harsher on the 6" line, maybe as a way to deter myself from going overboard here.

Sizewise, R2-D2 did also seem just a bit too short. I held up a Saga Legends R4-P17 figure for comparison, and while I don't know exactly how the SL figure compares to previous astromech droid figures, I do know that previous astromech figures have been scaled up (aside from the TVC Bar2-D2). So the fact that the 3 3/4" astromechs are too big and the 6" one is too small makes them appear just a little too close in size.

I assume these will be in pretty good supply as more and more stores reset and start stocking for Fall, so I'm not worried about finding them yet. Still, these complaints should register as fairly minor, and overall the figures were really quite cool.

JediTricks
08-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Adam Pawlus has his reviews of Luke:
http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/story/review-video-star-wars-black-series-6-inch-luke-skywalker-x-wing-pilot-action-figure

and Maul:
http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/story/review-video-star-wars-black-series-6-inch-darth-maul-action-figure

Both are fairly positive. The gloves on both figures look proportionally too big in photos, but that could be just an optical illusion. The ankle articulation really looks off on Maul's boot, it's not as bad for Luke, but I'm just not confident in this joint's usage.

Still haven't seen these in person yet.

bigbarada
08-12-2013, 12:32 AM
No sign of these anywhere in my area. I've been reading disturbing news that Walmarts have been doing their planograms for the fall reset and many stores seem to have no intention of carrying the 6" line. If a retailer the size of Walmart opts out of carrying this line, then I don't think that bodes well for the long term longevity of the 6" figures.

sith_killer_99
08-12-2013, 09:24 AM
One of the other threads had this link posted to check Target codes online.

http://m.target.com/fiats/dp-087-06-1941?afid=Skimbit+Ltd._UPp0UWUaG2doU0FSig29ZRtWUkW U7Y0vTWw2080&lnm=Online+Tracking+Link&ref=tgt_adv_xasd0002

On a side note, I checked yesterday and found several Target's near me with these in stock, but they had not put them out yet. I called around and asked about them, here is what I found:

Target #1: Showed 6 inch figures in stock. They were kind enough to pull the case for me from the stock room. So, I scored one of each, they were even nice enough to let me keep the box. It was the only case they had. The aisle had a tag for the 6 inch figures as well as tags for the Mission, Legacy, etc. None of the new stuff had been put out, just the clearance figures and an odd assortment of "Angry Bird Star Wars" stuff to keep the pegs from looking too bare.

Target #2: Showed 6 inch figures in stock. Claimed they "had some in the back" and asked me to wait on the phone while they looked. However, they did not put me on hold and I heard them talking. Younger guys working, one said to another "yeah, SW stuff is always worth picking up" "that would be about $40" "yeah, they are $20 each" "They're still worth picking up". Then he gets on the phone and says "We only have Darth Maul and R2-D2, they are in the store room. We can hold them in electroincs if you want". I stopped by and found the same shelving situation there, nothing new on the pegs but tags for the new stuff.

Target #3: Showed 6 inch figures in stock. I gave the code to the Customer Service girl and told here "6 inch Star Wars figures". She put me on hold then came back to me and says "Our toy department told me they don't have any new Star Wars figures." Which of course is not what I had asked her. I had asked her if they had the DCPI code in stock.

Target #4: Showed 6 inch figures in stock. Told me they had them in the back store room. I asked about Luke Skywalker and Sandtrooper, she asked the back room who told her they had a Luke Skywalker, but no Sandtrooper. When I got there, I checked out the toy aisle and found the same situation, bare pegs, tags for new stuff but none put out.

Keep in mind that each case has 1 of every figure, they are packed with 4 figures. So obviously Target #2 and #4 have sclaper problems in their toy department, Target #3 is probaly sick of collectors, but Target #1 is closest to me and seems to be the best.

Overall I managed to pick up 2 of almost every figure, except the Sandtrooper of which I only found one. I will pick up another later.

Also of note, the 6 inch Sandtroopers have picked up over the last couple of days on ebay. So it looks like these are getting out there slowly. It also seem that Hasbro only shipped about 1 case per store, or one of every figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-12-2013, 01:18 PM
No sign of these anywhere in my area. I've been reading disturbing news that Walmarts have been doing their planograms for the fall reset and many stores seem to have no intention of carrying the 6" line. If a retailer the size of Walmart opts out of carrying this line, then I don't think that bodes well for the long term longevity of the 6" figures.

I went to a few Walmarts that had reset but not restocked - or were at least in the process of restocking. The Star Wars sections were noticeably smaller, and while it didn't cross my mind at the time, I didn't see any shelf or peg space for the 6" line. The Black Series pegs for 3 3/4" were clogged full of Discover the Force figures, 3D glasses and all, so that was my main concern at the time. It's been standard practice for years that different Walmarts will carry different items, so maybe some will still have the 6" line . . . though why they'd opt out of that in favor of the Jakks Pacific 31" Darth Vader is beyond me.

sith_killer_99
08-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I went to a few Walmarts that had reset but not restocked - or were at least in the process of restocking. The Star Wars sections were noticeably smaller, and while it didn't cross my mind at the time, I didn't see any shelf or peg space for the 6" line. The Black Series pegs for 3 3/4" were clogged full of Discover the Force figures, 3D glasses and all, so that was my main concern at the time. It's been standard practice for years that different Walmarts will carry different items, so maybe some will still have the 6" line . . . though why they'd opt out of that in favor of the Jakks Pacific 31" Darth Vader is beyond me.

My local Walmarts have put up their plan-o-grams and none of them included the 6 inch figures. They also have yet to put out any new stock, to include the Mission Series, Legacy, Black Series, etc.

Darth Metalmute
08-12-2013, 05:22 PM
The toys r us that I saw had them, placed the the item on actual pegs, instead of have shelf space. Needless to say, the figures, while having hooks, are too heavy to stay on the pegs. I tried twice to put the Mauls on the pegs and they both fell off due to weight.

Tycho
08-13-2013, 03:19 PM
I found Luke and R2 and turned them down. It's nice but not worth $20 and R2-D2 is too small.

I'm thinking Luke Bespin and ROTS Obi-Wan will be my only purchases from this line.

I think Qui-Gon and a Snowtrooper will turn out too small for what I'm looking for.

JediTricks
08-14-2013, 01:40 AM
Postman delivered my 6" Darth Maul - I am not feeling this line based on this figure.

The tampoed paint on the head is off-center and the cheek pattern is wrong.

The right knee on mine is shot too high (you can see the punch-out still intact) and comes apart when used because it wasn't finished through the other side properly.

The outfit deco is simple and the sculpting is only fair.

The joints are all ratcheted and the leg joints have too much play while the arms are too stiff and somewhat limited in range.

The cloaked look doesn't work with the big split in the front and the overly short sleeves and no droid cuff.

The hips don't spread wide enough for tall kicks.

The horns are painted wrong with too little bone color.

There are fine details that are lacking like shapes on the horns, especially the temple horns.

There are seams and burr marks that

The eyes are tampoed slightly into the lower eyelid line.

The saber blades are 25% too short.

The footpeg holes are 4mm which is a size nobody uses for stands.

The ankle joints are unattractive.

The nicest thing I can say is the head and torso joints can be very expressive.

"Fair at best" is my take.

bigbarada
08-14-2013, 04:21 PM
My local Walmarts have put up their plan-o-grams and none of them included the 6 inch figures. They also have yet to put out any new stock, to include the Mission Series, Legacy, Black Series, etc.

Same here. My Walmart finally put out their new planograms and not a bit of shelf space is being set aside for 6" or 3.75" Black Series lines. Looks like Walmart is investing completely in Saga Legends, Mission Series, Angry Birds and that's it.

It's not really a huge deal since I only want the Sandtrooper from the 6" line and Vizam from the 3.75" line, plus I'll be spending most of my energy collecting the new 5-POA figures; but it's just weird that Walmart would basically opt out of a such a major segment of the Star Wars toy line.

figrin bran
08-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Amazon has the Sandtroopers in stock. And I'm pretty sure they'll arrive in a mailing box. ;)

sith_killer_99
08-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Amazon has the Sandtroopers in stock. And I'm pretty sure they'll arrive in a mailing box. ;)

Oh, you got jokes!

I swear, I just told my wife a few hours ago about how this is the most drama I've seen over SW collecting in a long lone time, and that was before I read T's post. lol

JediTricks
08-16-2013, 10:17 PM
I missed the Sandtrooper again on Amazon, but that's ok, I was busy yesterday with more fulfilling things anyway.

So I'm sitting here with this Darth Maul still on my desk, trying to decide if I'm asking for a refund due to this knee situation or what, and it dawns on me that I haven't actually put it in a 2-handed saber pose. A few minutes later, THIS FIGURE ANNOYS ME TO NO END. The arm articulation is limited too far, the shoulders can't pull in tight enough, the elbows can't bend up far enough, the hands have opposing hinges which means one move with one requires altering the other to compensate because it can't just bend that same way. So 2-handed poses usually end up with the saber hilt bent, and the arms can't get to some of the tight angles required.

That on top of the hips being too loose laterally, and the ratchets in the ankle joints being in the wrong places and leaving too much play, means this figure can't actually DO much the way Darth Maul is supposed to!

Beast
08-17-2013, 12:09 AM
That on top of the hips being too loose laterally, and the ratchets in the ankle joints being in the wrong places and leaving too much play, means this figure can't actually DO much the way Darth Maul is supposed to!
What? Suck and Die? :D

JediTricks
08-20-2013, 10:51 PM
What? Suck and Die? :DI was thinking before that, kick and swing a saber.

sith_killer_99
08-22-2013, 09:32 PM
TRU had 3 R2-D2's and 3 Luke's today. Somebody actually bought 3 Darth Mauls over the Luke? Really?

On a side note, they had the X-Wing exclusive in for about 30 seconds...aaaaaand, it's gone.

They have about 4 AT-AT Walkers in stock.

OC47151
08-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Saw the 6-inch Maul and sandtrooper for the first time today in the stores. Liked the detail on both. Couldn't see if the stock on the sandtrooper's blaster folded out.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-24-2013, 05:00 PM
Saw the 6-inch Maul and sandtrooper for the first time today in the stores. Liked the detail on both. Couldn't see if the stock on the sandtrooper's blaster folded out.
It doesn't, but the wave 3 stormtrooper's blaster does fold out.

OC47151
08-24-2013, 05:26 PM
It doesn't, but the wave 3 stormtrooper's blaster does fold out.

Many thanks! I thought it would be hard to top the 'lost wave' 3 3/4-inch sandtrooper.

bigbarada
08-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Ordered a Sandtrooper off of Amazon on Wednesday and it arrived in the mail this afternoon.... in a bubble envelope... :eek: No big deal, the figure's box wasn't damaged at all and I don't care about the box anyway. It only cost me $24.11 for the figure with shipping included, which is only a couple of dollars more than that this toy would cost in a store with Illinois state sales tax factored in. And that's not even considering the gas that I'd use up driving the 40 miles to the nearest Target or TRU looking for the figure. So, I think I got an excellent deal.

The figure itself is AMAZING! It looks soooo much better than those Sideshow 12" figures or the Kotobukiya and Marmit Sandtroopers that all cost at least 5-times as much.

It has some of the same paint flaws that I've seen in many examples online, but when you blow up those photos to fill a 27" computer screen then they seem like a much bigger deal than they do when you are actually holding the toy in your hands.

This is easily one of the most rewarding Star Wars purchases I've made in a long, long time. I think I'll wait until I find some in a store before I buy any other figures from this wave. I'd consider buying another Sandtrooper and maybe Luke X-Wing, but that's probably it until the Stormtrooper from wave 3 comes out. Well, I might buy Han Solo from wave 2, depending on how he looks in person.

El Chuxter
08-24-2013, 09:12 PM
I saw them all today for the first time. Truth be told, I found them a bit boring, and thought the paint looked pretty soft.

Tycho
08-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Has anyone opened them and sniffed them, actually?

I almost forgot and ignored the potential olfactory experience with these things.

sith_killer_99
08-25-2013, 01:21 AM
Has anyone opened them and sniffed them, actually?

I almost forgot and ignored the potential olfactory experience with these things.

Nowhere near as good as the mouse droid. Harder plastic with an almost enamel smell.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-25-2013, 09:16 AM
I'd figure (pun always intended) that they smell about twice as better (??) being almost twice as big. My calculator says 1.6 times better.

I did see my first 6" in a store (Luke). It looks cool, but not the figure I would buy.

JediTricks
08-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Saw 1 each of these at Target yesterday, at first blush R2 didn't look quite as bad in person but then I noticed his left leg was bent in the middle notably, classy.

I picked up a replacement Maul, and the Sandtrooper. I haven't opened Maul yet.

The Sandtrooper has the same problem as Maul with his knee hinge pin being shot too short and not encompassing both halves of the outer side of the knee, which means he cannot bear as much weight without it bending out of place. To be honest, that was the final straw, I'm going to return it for my money back and walk away from this line entirely, and possibly let all my future Hasbro interests wane with it.

The Sandtrooper also had a head painted more than the body, and poor weathering about, purple lines where the wash was let to pool up around stuff. I'm also quite disappointed with how poorly these hands hold the weapons, especially the rifles, I can't find a pose that looks really solid yet and it's unlikely I ever will now. The lower body seems like it's out of proportion with the upper body, like this figure tapers from very thin legs up to a broad torso and shoulders; the legs seem so thin that I question whether they can actually avoid wilting under all the upper body weight on this figure, especially the ultra thin knee joints.

The neck hinge and ball-joint is an interesting joint, but leaving articulation up to the head limits the expression tilts possible, and I found this really stymieing with the Sandtrooper even more than Maul

JediTricks
08-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Sandtrooper and Maul went back to Target today. I started to explain to the girl what I was talking about, and IMMEDIATELY she looked at the knee and saw it despite it being subtle from the front. Didn't even bother looking at Maul for more than a second, took my word (rightly so as I'll show you in the images below from before I returned them).

You can actually see the incomplete pin's mushroomed end INSIDE the knee joint on each one from the back. Also note the missed hingepin hole on Maul from the opposite side, it's the same thing on the Sandtrooper but the phone's flash was too hot off the white armor so I couldn't get enough detail:

I picked up a replacement Maul, the elbows have a few more degrees of bend in the joints due to the elbows not being seated fully into the biceps. The hips are loose on this one as well, he can't hold the best poses without help unfortunately. Paint is slightly better but has its own foibles, I was going to swap accessories and heads but the original's only keepers were the lightsaber hilt and the cloaked head, the rest was better on the new set.

I really dislike the bar hip design on these figures, the Sandtrooper's was worse than Maul's, it left the trooper's thighs far forward in the pelvis causing the figure's center of gravity to be too far forward, lending to a lot of falling down, and ugly walking/kneeling poses. It was also loose, if it's not going to float then why bother using it? I could understand a floating bar joint, that'd at least add range of motion, but without that feature it's ugly and pointless and limiting - that new Leia looks horrendous due to their use.

Also, upon examining the 2x R2-D2s in the store, both had their left legs noticeably bent, I think this may be a tray issue as the cause rather than a manufacturing defect, but the fact that the bend is so sharp means it's functionally the same problem, and would need some serious temperature to thermoset back to the original molding shape.

Beast
08-27-2013, 07:08 PM
My R2-D2's leg was like that too due to the packaging. It pretty much "bounced back" after opening.

Darth Metalmute
08-28-2013, 08:39 AM
I just opened my R2-D2. Since I'm not collecting the line, I won't comment on the size because I have nothing to compare it to. The side doors don't open wide enough and one of the dome panels becomes loose once you take it off for the first time. I would have preferred the lightsaber to fit inside the dome not stick out of it, but since I'll probably never use any of the accessories, that's not a big deal. He's supposed to be the "Clean" version, yet the right and left feet both have dirt paint on it, and it looks like it was done by a five year old. These are all really minor complaints and are nothing that would have deferred me from buying it, had I known it before purchase.

This complaint, however, is a big deal to me. The leg gimmick is neat, but it limits the head poses in roll position. All R2-D2 pictures I've seen doesn't have the solid rectangle on the third leg. In film, it looks as if the leg extracts to the silver tubes, (which are not painted on the figure). When doing this on the figure, his dome faces backwards, with no way (at least that I can see) with facing it forward. To get the head forward, you have to continue to extend the leg. When you do this, the CE brand on the rectangle portion of the leg is then visible. You essentially can only display it from the right side. I recommend picking him up, but only with a coupon or a sale/reduced price.

Other than that, I kinda like this figure. He is nice looking, but he is definitely not worth the $20 price tag, especially considering hes the same size as the 3.5" line. For 20 bucks, he should have included a spring loaded lightsaber feature and a Leia hologram.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-28-2013, 11:25 AM
This complaint, however, is a big deal to me. The leg gimmick is neat, but it limits the head poses in roll position. All R2-D2 pictures I've seen doesn't have the solid rectangle on the third leg. In film, it looks as if the leg extracts to the silver tubes, (which are not painted on the figure). When doing this on the figure, his dome faces backwards, with no way (at least that I can see) with facing it forward. To get the head forward, you have to continue to extend the leg. When you do this, the CE brand on the rectangle portion of the leg is then visible. You essentially can only display it from the right side. I recommend picking him up, but only with a coupon or a sale/reduced price.

I don't own any of these, but from what I understand, can't you extend the third leg to the level you want, then hold it there and rotate the dome manually to achieve the desired look?

Darth Metalmute
08-28-2013, 12:44 PM
I don't own any of these, but from what I understand, can't you extend the third leg to the level you want, then hold it there and rotate the dome manually to achieve the desired look?

You can't hold it in place, but can extend the leg all the way out, then click the head into a new position (which is strictly a guess and check method), then turn retract the leg back to where you want it. Then when you retract the leg completely, the head will need to be clicked around again.

bigbarada
08-28-2013, 09:22 PM
You can't hold it in place, but can extend the leg all the way out, then click the head into a new position (which is strictly a guess and check method), then turn retract the leg back to where you want it. Then when you retract the leg completely, the head will need to be clicked around again.

That's such an annoying feature for them to add to this figure. Why not just give him a removable third leg and do away with all the internal mechanisms? Even if this R2 figure had been perfect (which it is far from), this dumb "action feature" would probably still be a deal-breaker for me.

El Chuxter
08-28-2013, 10:53 PM
So, wait, let me get this straight:

They put a tried (and proven untrue) kiddie gimmick on the leg of a figure they hyped as being an adult collector.

JT, where's the facepalm smiley?

figrin bran
08-29-2013, 12:59 PM
I opened up my Sandtrooper and he turned out fine. The only thing I did not like was the helmet having much more paint wash than the rest of the body but that's something a little bit of carefully applied acetone can fix.

I'm opening up Maul tonight so hopefully I like that one more than some others have.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-29-2013, 01:03 PM
I finally got Darth Maul yesterday at Target after finding one with acceptable paint. I've only been able to futz with it a little bit, but the two words that kept going through my mind were "F***IN' SWEET!" The added articulation takes a little bit to get used to, such as the legs, since they need to be rotated differently from the 3 3/4" super-articulated figures, but I was still able to do some cool kicking poses. The head articulation allows for a much wider range of movement, allowing Maul to glare in numerous ways. If you go in expecting a high-end collectible, you might be disappointed. But if you go in just expecting a big cool action figure, you'll be more into this one. I'll have a more thorough review soon.

Darth Metalmute
08-29-2013, 01:36 PM
I opened my sandtrooper this morning, it's very underwhelming. His right leg is completely awkward. While it doesn't have the ball joint problem that JT did, you can't turn the legs out, so he's permanently in that, "I'm riding a miniature horse" pose. Also, whats up with the foot joint? Why do they rotate the way they do? It took me time to get him to stand, and when I finally did, he looks like a child trying to take their first step.

While I think he looks nice (outside of all the dirt on the helmet), I have found him to be completely disappointing and impractical. I have a Mexican knock-off 6" sandtrooper from the POTF line and this one feels exactly the same. Why if so many toy companies have been able to make 6" figures look nice and be practical, does Hasbro fall on their face? Is this where we are supposed to stick around and let them work through the kinks and in 5 years we have a perfect figure? Because at $20 that's not going to happen. I don't understand why they just couldn't take the 3" figure design and mold, scale it up, and improve on it.

That's such an annoying feature for them to add to this figure. Why not just give him a removable third leg and do away with all the internal mechanisms? Even if this R2 figure had been perfect (which it is far from), this dumb "action feature" would probably still be a deal-breaker for me.

It seems to me they just could have had a pull down third leg and everyone would have been happy. But Hasbro's all about "Action Features" so who cares about customer approval.

Beast
08-29-2013, 02:44 PM
I haven't seen any complaints about the Sandtrooper's foot articulation from 6" collectors. Probably because they actually get angry when there arn't ball hinges and ankle rockers on the figures. Given the amount of articulation on the leg, I don't know why you're having a problem adjusting them so they look natural. With the hinge pivot hips and the swivel thigh and the foot articulation it should be easy to achieve.

My guess on R2-D2.... is they wanted to make him as worth the $20 as possible. Hence the function with the 3rd leg. I didn't have any problem getting it to the proper position and then adjusting the head afterwards. You just have to ratchet it around past the point and then turn it back to where you want it. It just takes a little bit of work. Granted they could have just gave him a removable middle leg or one that just slides in and out, but oh well.

bigbarada
08-29-2013, 06:29 PM
I opened my sandtrooper this morning, it's very underwhelming. His right leg is completely awkward. While it doesn't have the ball joint problem that JT did, you can't turn the legs out, so he's permanently in that, "I'm riding a miniature horse" pose. Also, whats up with the foot joint? Why do they rotate the way they do? It took me time to get him to stand, and when I finally did, he looks like a child trying to take their first step.

I had no problems at all getting my Sandtrooper into a natural looking pose:

Beast
08-29-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks for posting a picture that illustrates this so well, Big B. Man... the Sandie is awesome.

bigbarada
08-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks for posting a picture that illustrates this so well, Big B. Man... the Sandie is awesome.

It is and, I don't want to overstate it, but when I hold the figure in my hands I can't help but think that it's nothing less than one of the greatest Star Wars toys ever created in the entire history of Star Wars toys.

Darth Metalmute
08-29-2013, 07:13 PM
lol... My troopers right leg looks nothing like that. I guess I got a defect. I cannot rotate the legs in that position and the right one doesn't rotate or move at all. The upper leg armor is too close to the waist and stuck. My right leg also looks significantly shorter. I'll upload a picture tomorrow.
Sadly, I got it from hasbrotoyshop.com. I'll try to contact them for a replacement.

I haven't seen any complaints about the Sandtrooper's foot articulation from 6" collectors. Probably because they actually get angry when there arn't ball hinges and ankle rockers on the figures. Given the amount of articulation on the leg, I don't know why you're having a problem adjusting them so they look natural. With the hinge pivot hips and the swivel thigh and the foot articulation it should be easy to achieve.

My problem with the foot isn't with the rockers itself, its with the foots connection to the rockers. The foot spins on the rocker at an odd location. If it was at the ankle of the foot it would have been perfect, but instead, its on the tongue of the shoe.

Beast
08-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Yeah... it absolutely sounds like you got a defective figure. Sucks. :(

Darth Metalmute
08-30-2013, 12:55 PM
These are about as "natural" of a pose as I can get. As you can see, the right leg armor is wedged against the groin. It appears that both legs are meant to rotate from a joint that is under the armor, but I can only rotate the left leg, and I felt like I was going to break it the entire time to get it loose. I feel like the joint is an oval, instead of a circle, thus limiting the rotation.

The third picture is the foot joint I was referring to. It rotates at the shoe tongue instead of the ankle which serves absolutely no purpose what so ever; unless the goal is to show what a stormtrooper looks like with a broken ankle.

The fourth picture is without the Sandtrooper gear. Oddly enough, He looks really good as a plain stormtrooper, even with the leg issue. Although he does look as if he accidentally dropped his helmet in a mud pit.

JediTricks
08-30-2013, 04:46 PM
I just opened my R2-D2. Since I'm not collecting the line, I won't comment on the size because I have nothing to compare it to. The side doors don't open wide enough and one of the dome panels becomes loose once you take it off for the first time. I would have preferred the lightsaber to fit inside the dome not stick out of it, but since I'll probably never use any of the accessories, that's not a big deal. He's supposed to be the "Clean" version, yet the right and left feet both have dirt paint on it, and it looks like it was done by a five year old. These are all really minor complaints and are nothing that would have deferred me from buying it, had I known it before purchase.

Other than that, I kinda like this figure. He is nice looking, but he is definitely not worth the $20 price tag, especially considering hes the same size as the 3.5" line. For 20 bucks, he should have included a spring loaded lightsaber feature and a Leia hologram.Ugh, what the heck, that sounds really bad, thanks for posting, while those aren't things that would break it for you, they are for me, and that central leg gimmick is a fail all around.

A Leia hologram would have been nice, and a better saber launching look at least should have been there.

That's such an annoying feature for them to add to this figure. Why not just give him a removable third leg and do away with all the internal mechanisms? Even if this R2 figure had been perfect (which it is far from), this dumb "action feature" would probably still be a deal-breaker for me.SERIOUSLY!

So, wait, let me get this straight:

They put a tried (and proven untrue) kiddie gimmick on the leg of a figure they hyped as being an adult collector.

JT, where's the facepalm smiley?Just have to borrow these:

"What the hell, Hasbro" might as well become the motto for the line. "WTHH" And worst of all, it's the ugliest interpretation of that gimmick ever.

If you go in expecting a high-end collectible, you might be disappointed. But if you go in just expecting a big cool action figure, you'll be more into this one. I'll have a more thorough review soon.How about if you go in expecting it not to be defective, and you go in expecting the expensive added articulation to work BETTER than the 3.75" version? What do you do then? "Help me, Jabba-John-El, you're my only hope."

I opened my sandtrooper this morning, it's very underwhelming. His right leg is completely awkward. While it doesn't have the ball joint problem that JT did, you can't turn the legs out, so he's permanently in that, "I'm riding a miniature horse" pose. Also, whats up with the foot joint? Why do they rotate the way they do? It took me time to get him to stand, and when I finally did, he looks like a child trying to take their first step.Ugh, that sucks to hear, sorry.

The foot joint is meant to mimic the natural roll and tilt of human anatomy, but still needs to bear weight AND be easily assembled. The foot joint would be a more reasonable joint (aside from the ugly factor) if they had included a lower-leg rotation joint as well, but without it there are missing joints hindering natural movement and I find it infuriating.

While I think he looks nice (outside of all the dirt on the helmet), I have found him to be completely disappointing and impractical. I have a Mexican knock-off 6" sandtrooper from the POTF line and this one feels exactly the same. Why if so many toy companies have been able to make 6" figures look nice and be practical, does Hasbro fall on their face? Is this where we are supposed to stick around and let them work through the kinks and in 5 years we have a perfect figure? Because at $20 that's not going to happen. I don't understand why they just couldn't take the 3" figure design and mold, scale it up, and improve on it.I really don't know what they were thinking. I do know they couldn't get away with scaling up the 3.75" line, those figures barely look passable at their own scale, you nearly double them and their failures amplify considerably. There's also the weight issue, those joints wouldn't bear enough weight on their own (NOT THAT IT MATTERS WITH THESE HIPS ANYWAY).

2789727898What about with a rifle though? The E-11 blaster is the easy one, but I couldn't get the T-21 or the MG-34/DLT-19 poses to work at all.

It is and, I don't want to overstate it, but when I hold the figure in my hands I can't help but think that it's nothing less than one of the greatest Star Wars toys ever created in the entire history of Star Wars toys.I'm a little surprised you're gushing this hard, as an artist I've seen you come down pretty hard on other products with flaws no worse than this one's. At least yours doesn't have a helmet that looks like it was wedged up a Bantha's backside though, mine was really bad. Now it's Target's problem, and they're going to make it Hasbro's problem since Hasbro started it.

My problem with the foot isn't with the rockers itself, its with the foots connection to the rockers. The foot spins on the rocker at an odd location. If it was at the ankle of the foot it would have been perfect, but instead, its on the tongue of the shoe.When you think about where your foot moves, the ankle is a ball joint integrated to the top of the foot, and its most roll is on the lengthwise axis of the foot (inwards only) so the joint emulates that by integrating a ball-hinge joint into the top of the foot and connecting along a lengthwise axis of the shoe, albeit at the tongue of the shoe (but the tongue is where the ankle starts, so it's justifiable).

These are about as "natural" of a pose as I can get. As you can see, the right leg armor is wedged against the groin. It appears that both legs are meant to rotate from a joint that is under the armor, but I can only rotate the left leg, and I felt like I was going to break it the entire time to get it loose. I feel like the joint is an oval, instead of a circle, thus limiting the rotation.

The third picture is the foot joint I was referring to. It rotates at the shoe tongue instead of the ankle which serves absolutely no purpose what so ever; unless the goal is to show what a stormtrooper looks like with a broken ankle.

The fourth picture is without the Sandtrooper gear. Oddly enough, He looks really good as a plain stormtrooper, even with the leg issue. Although he does look as if he accidentally dropped his helmet in a mud pit.

279002790127902279033 possibilities on that right leg:
- the hip joint was assembled upside-down so it's inverted, this could be fixable because it just needs to be rotated around on its central axis and then the thigh rotated on the swivel, but probably the hip armor will get in the way of this;
- they assembled a left hip joint into the right hip area by mistake, and it's defective;
- there's nothing wrong and you just need to put it in hot water to free the thigh swivel.

As for the foot joint, here's why it's not useless:
(MimoMicro 3PO is fascinated)

figrin bran
08-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Between Fett and the Sandtrooper and Maul I just opened, I'm really enjoying the 6" Black Series!

As I've been trying to say all along, these are much better executed than both Hasbro's and Mattel's 6" lines. Quality and sculpt is much better on these, defective figures of some of us notwithstanding.

Weight distribution and legs not being able to bear the weight of the body is always an issue with 6" lines unfortunately.

Anyhow I used a 15% off at HTS coupon on R2 and a few other things and they've all arrived so I'll get to opening it in a sec. So far, my R2's legs don't have the warpedness many of you are reporting.

bigbarada
08-31-2013, 05:58 PM
U
What about with a rifle though? The E-11 blaster is the easy one, but I couldn't get the T-21 or the MG-34/DLT-19 poses to work at all.

I'm a little surprised you're gushing this hard, as an artist I've seen you come down pretty hard on other products with flaws no worse than this one's. At least yours doesn't have a helmet that looks like it was wedged up a Bantha's backside though, mine was really bad. Now it's Target's problem, and they're going to make it Hasbro's problem since Hasbro started it.

I posed him with the big blaster, but his hands aren't really designed to hold it two handed, so I had to fake it bit and just rest the gun on his left hand. Here's a photo of him next to the 1996 POTF2 Sandtrooper, just to show how far we've come in the last 18 years:

I don't expect these toys to be perfect for only $20 (but this Sandtrooper comes closer than anything I've ever seen) and I really only plan to pose him standing neutrally with the one-handed blaster.

The reason that I'm so blown away by this figure is the accuracy of the helmet and armor. It's better than anything Hasbro has produced in the past, it's even better than the high-end figures we get from Sideshow, Kotobukiya, and Marmit. It doesn't look like a toy, it looks like a tiny 6" man wearing a Sandtrooper costume and that's awesome to me.

Also the joints and pins don't bother me at all. I've just trained my eye to overlook that stuff.

For me, Sandtroopers are right up there at the top of my want list for just about everything. So maybe that makes me more forgiving of mistakes that show up on Sandtrooper figures compared to other characters.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2013, 07:08 PM
A local Target had several each of Luke and R2 - Maul and the Santrooper were evidently the hotter sellers here - so I was able to find figures with decent enough paint to purchase.

R2-D2 doesn't seem too horribly out of scale next to Luke or Maul, but those are two short guys, so it's hard to say right now. The leg gimmick isn't ideal but it also isn't horrible.

Luke is quite impressive. I wish his head were molded in flesh-colored plastic rather than having a painted face.

So far, I'm very pleased with this line. I'll be doing more detailed photo reviews later.

sebillba
09-11-2013, 04:26 AM
Luke is quite impressive. I wish his head were molded in flesh-colored plastic rather than having a painted face.

Ugh, really? I knew the prototype was painted, but I thought the final product was flesh plastic - this is a deal breaker for me. Not that I intended to get this Luke, but I have pre-ordered Han, and probably would've got Bespin Luke, but if this is how they're doing human figures, I'll have to cancel my order.

Beast
09-11-2013, 03:24 PM
6" Collectors hate seeing flesh colored plastic used. As it tends to look waxy rather than like flesh.

You guys are so used to the 4" scale. But most of the issues are stuff that they don't tend to do in 6".

JediTricks
09-11-2013, 06:21 PM
I posed him with the big blaster, but his hands aren't really designed to hold it two handed, so I had to fake it bit and just rest the gun on his left hand. Here's a photo of him next to the 1996 POTF2 Sandtrooper, just to show how far we've come in the last 18 years:

I don't expect these toys to be perfect for only $20 (but this Sandtrooper comes closer than anything I've ever seen) and I really only plan to pose him standing neutrally with the one-handed blaster.

The reason that I'm so blown away by this figure is the accuracy of the helmet and armor. It's better than anything Hasbro has produced in the past, it's even better than the high-end figures we get from Sideshow, Kotobukiya, and Marmit. It doesn't look like a toy, it looks like a tiny 6" man wearing a Sandtrooper costume and that's awesome to me.

Also the joints and pins don't bother me at all. I've just trained my eye to overlook that stuff.

For me, Sandtroopers are right up there at the top of my want list for just about everything. So maybe that makes me more forgiving of mistakes that show up on Sandtrooper figures compared to other characters.
What about a neutral pose? I did the same thing with mine for action poses, but couldn't get a neutral pose to save that figure's life.

I hear ya on the armor, it's really nice. I wouldn't say it's better than Sideshow's or Koto's, definitely better than Marmit's but they've been out of the game for a decade. The proportional issues hold it back from me seeing a little man in a costume. Also, the paint and backpack on the one I had really didn't stick the landing.

My Maul has fallen over several times and his legs have spread considerably in the action pose. This figure cannot stand on its own in good poses, it really bothers me. But I could have overlooked it and propped it against something if not for the fact that the lightsaber keeps wilting, that absolutely breaks my heart, that's something that really should have held up on this figure as it's SO vital to its look, and instead it looks as bad as any 3.75" Maul's saber, worse than some even.

Darth Metalmute
09-11-2013, 07:16 PM
I ran my Sandtroopers leg under some hot water, and then proceeded to snap his leg off. I emailed hasbrotoyshop on it and got another one. This ones legs work. It's not a bad figure when it's not defective. I wish his rifle with the strap would stay on his shoulder, but other than that, I like him.

JediTricks
09-12-2013, 01:34 PM
I ran my Sandtroopers leg under some hot water, and then proceeded to snap his leg off. I emailed hasbrotoyshop on it and got another one. This ones legs work. It's not a bad figure when it's not defective. I wish his rifle with the strap would stay on his shoulder, but other than that, I like him.Glad they got you another one. Were you able to see what was going on with the first leg once it broke? I'm still curious.

Darth Metalmute
09-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Glad they got you another one. Were you able to see what was going on with the first leg once it broke? I'm still curious.

From what I can tell, the white armor on it was warped/melted. It molded around the grooves in the black leg suit and became permanently stuck, not allowing a rotation. However, it is possible that the pin molded into the one end as that was what snapped.

sebillba
09-13-2013, 08:06 AM
6" Collectors hate seeing flesh colored plastic used. As it tends to look waxy rather than like flesh.

You guys are so used to the 4" scale. But most of the issues are stuff that they don't tend to do in 6".

I collect 12" scale figures as well, and still hate painted faces in this scale - to me, it always looks cheap and naff.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-16-2013, 03:47 PM
I recently bought a Sandtrooper, thus completing the first wave. The sand weathering on mine is distributed very evenly - the helmet matches the body nicely. The paint is shoddy on the belt, though, with the raised panels getting heavy paint and the lower panels getting none. The backpack is more rubbery than I'd like, but the level of detail on this figure all around is astounding, especially on the weapons. But now that I've got all four of the wide release figures, I can say that I am definitely a fan of this line.

JediTricks
09-21-2013, 04:41 PM
I finally caved and bough an R2, making sure to find one that had good paint on the dome because I've seen a ton with slop and scratches and mistakes like that. Naturally the one I found turns out to be SERIOUSLY defective:

That is so frustrating, I cannot imagine how this piece left the factory in this shape, I can't even imagine how this happened since clearly it was after assembly. If forced to guess, I'd say a machine/clamp holds the figure for paint masking and this unit got jammed onto it funky.

And the dumbest part was I had just worked to figure out the paint lock on the left foot (the silver paint had fused to the ankle) and how to break it without cutting the tightly-assembled parts around it.

As a stand-alone piece, this isn't bad, it's nicer than it appears in the pictures. There are some flaws that are drawbacks: the tabs on the dome panels that remove are a biggie especially when the panels don't match up sizing to the painted panels around them. The dome lacks the paint in the readout displays (the wide display is painted black, what's up with that?). The 2 hexagonal heat exhaust ports (lower right front, lower left rear) are sculpted to look good from the front and then stretch out to look bad from the side. The white plastic used for the PVC deco is a little chintzy and doesn't hold up as nicely as the white plastic on the ABS (which also ain't all that great, but at least has body). They didn't include movable grasper arms or the scomp link or saw blade. Those are all little things.

Actually, the lack of the scomp link grates on my nerves the more I think about it, they included an alternate pokey thing that Gentle Giant had planned to include with their now-cancelled statue but it was an ALTERNATE to the scomp, not a replacement for it.

The big issues on this piece start with the scale, it's unacceptable and at $20 there simply isn't enough going on here to justify that dollar amount, not in size and not in detail and not in deco, so if it also can't stand with other figures without looking wrong, it's very difficult to justify. I bought it knowing that and expecting to keep it as a stand-alone, since that's now how I'm approaching this line.

The middle leg gimmick sacrifices dome functionality and that's a real shame, not only are several gimmicks left out, but those still used are underwhelming and lack the punch they deserve, the saber doesn't sit lower, the periscope eye doesn't periscope, the scanner doesn't even come out of the right panel. The middle leg itself would be fine if it just stopped where it was supposed to, but instead there's this extra length that looks attrocious AND makes it a frustration to position the dome with the middle leg extended where you want them.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the middle foot also has a very stupid flaw, instead of moving freely on its joint there's a semi-circle that is a flat detail piece in the movie prop but here it sticks out considerably so it limits the movement a little - this actually wouldn't be a big deal since the foot can bend past this, except the EXACT correct angle for the foot in 3-legged mode is the corner where there just isn't enough friction, so it kicks it back out and the feet refuse to stay flat on the ground together, it's infuriating since this is the key look for the figure.

Another frustration that takes its toll on this figure is the removable leg panels. In order to accommodate the CGI leg jet gimmick from the prequel-era that isn't appropriate to anything else on this figure, they made the regular panels removable. However the panels are too thick so it looks bad from the front angles, and are painted thickly so without scraping that off it causes the thin part of the legs to push in ever so slightly.

I haven't decided if I will buy a replacement or just get my money back, but it's not as bad as pics look, although it's still pretty problematic.

Slicker
09-24-2013, 02:14 AM
I've literally read through this entire thread and it has all confirmed my original posts. This line seems like a big waste of money/time and, once again, confirms my being glad that I don't collect anymore.

The fact that most of the individuals in here have gotten figures with defects (and JT's seems horrendous) and we're only a small portion of the collector population makes me wonder what kind of QC (or lack thereof) they're employing. This thread has the usual apologizers and ones that won't be swayed but everyone else is being honest in pretty much saying that this line isn't worth it.

bigbarada
09-24-2013, 09:35 AM
This thread has the usual apologizers and ones that won't be swayed but everyone else is being honest in pretty much saying that this line isn't worth it.

So, everyone who has a positive impression of this line is an "apologizer" and the people criticizing the line are the only ones being truthful? :rolleyes:

I could nitpick these figures to death if I wanted to, but that's just not why I collect. Because if all I'm doing is focusing on negatives and only talking about what Hasbro got wrong, then I really see no point in spending my money on this stuff at all. As long as I feel that the positives of the figure outweigh the negatives, then I'm satisfied with it. If that's not critical enough for you, then I'm sorry; but I don't collect for you, I collect for myself. So, it's a little annoying to feel like I'm being insulted just because I choose to overlook certain flaws.

I only bought two figures from wave 1, Sandtrooper and Luke, and I don't have any real plans to buy another figure from this line until the Stormtrooper gets released in wave 3. Of the 2 Sandtroopers and one X-Wing Luke that I picked up, I have experienced zero manufacturing defects on any of those figures. So I can't speak towards that because the figures that I've bought had no major problems, other than minor paint flaws.

Beast
09-24-2013, 11:03 AM
So, everyone who has a positive impression of this line is an "apologizer" and the people criticizing the line are the only ones being truthful? :rolleyes:
No sense bothering to debate or discuss with people here on SSG anymore.

There's a reason the site is basically dead and nobody posts here anymore.

The silly cries of "fanboyism" and "apologists" are so very very tiring to see people use.

It's such a strawman argument. Especially since the 6" Collector Websites like Fwoosh are glowing with praise.

And it's certainly not due to "fanboys" or "apologists", since they're for the most part not big SW fans.

Hell... the site is more known for Superhero Figure Fans. But they love well done 6" figures in general.

Is the line perfect? Hell no. But no line is out of the gate. But it's certainly better than people here are saying.

It's a shame what SSG has turned into. It's like the Jedi Order in ANH... and it's fire has gone out of the universe.

Mister Roboto
09-24-2013, 06:22 PM

The silly cries of "fanboyism" and "apologists" are so very very tiring to see people use.

It's such a strawman argument. Especially since the 6" Collector Websites like Fwoosh are glowing with praise.

And it's certainly not due to "fanboys" or "apologists", since they're for the most part not big SW fans.

Hell... the site is more known for Superhero Figure Fans. But they love well done 6" figures in general.

Is the line perfect? Hell no. But no line is out of the gate. But it's certainly better than people here are saying.

It's a shame what SSG has turned into. It's like the Jedi Order in ANH... and it's fire has gone out of the universe.

No, SSG's forums are dead for three reasons:

1. There haven't been any Star Wars movies in quite some time.
2. There is a lack of interesting products put out by Hasbro compunded by major distribution problems.
3. Anytime someone criticizes something that Hasbro or Lucasfilms does, they get blasted for not being a "true fan" because they don't love every piece of crap Hasbro and Lucas throw at us.

Quit taking it personally if some people don't like this stuff.

Beast
09-24-2013, 07:20 PM

2. There is a lack of interesting products put out by Hasbro compunded by major distribution problems.
3. Anytime someone criticizes something that Hasbro or Lucasfilms does, they get blasted for not being a "true fan" because they don't love every piece of crap Hasbro and Lucas throw at us.

Quit taking it personally if some people don't like this stuff.
Who's taking it personally? Are you reading some other post or something?

I don't care if you don't like this stuff. I do. And that's who I'm buying it for.

Funny how Rebelscum and other Star Wars forums are thriving then... isn't it.

I guess there must be a new movie, great new products, and such in that reality of the internet. ;)

But thanks for proving my point. You can return to your strawman arguments now.

Snowtrooper
09-24-2013, 07:42 PM
My brother bought the sandtrooper and I thought it was pretty neat, so I ended up getting one for myself. I think the helmet part is painted a little more than the rest of the armor, but its not bad. I'll probably end up getting the stormtrooper when it shows up. I swore I wasn't going to get into this 6" line, so much for that.

JT, I saw an R2 at Target the yesterday, and it was a pretty pathetic piece of plastlic. The paint job was terrible and one of the legs was shorter than the other. This one is a definite pass to me.

Beast
09-24-2013, 07:50 PM
The Sandtrooper is absolutely the big hit of the first wave.

Just the attention to detail finally nailing all those armor differences details from the film on a figure.

Darth Maul and Luke are great as well. And hopefully R2-D2 will eventually get a 2nd better figure.

Though standing next to Luke X-Wing he doesn't look that bad at all. Especially if you get one with good paint.

Tycho
09-25-2013, 08:24 AM
I'm sort of agreeing with Mr. Roboto and Slicker here.

The first thing I don't like is the lack of civility. But it is worse at rebelscum than it is here.

I saw a thread where my own friend BigBarada here was mistreated over at rebelscum about one dumb issue or another.

Mr. Roboto: You are right that there is a lack of interesting product. I do not buy more Resculpts of figures I already own. Yes Slicker, Those are apologists that are claiming how great the new black line is.

It offers me little but I will buy three figures: Plagueis, 6" ROTS Obi-Wan, 6"ROTS Bespin Luke.

If the 3 3/4" Dagobah Luke is interesting with his jacket open I'll consider it.

I am usually not posting because I do not want to add to the negativity but at least I am NOT attacking others.

Beast
09-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Gotta love how calling people "Fanboys" and "Apologists" doesn't seem to count as attacking others in your view. :rolleyes:

And did you miss the fact that Big Barada was pretty much attached here for liking the line as well?

Gotta love the double standards that anyone who actually likes the line can't be doing so cause they genuinely do.

Tycho
09-25-2013, 10:40 AM
You're right in a few counts, Beast.

First I'll note that the line is for kids. I don't want han Solo Hoth because I have him. But there hasn't been one on a card since 2011 I think.

If a kid was born in 2010 and just discovering Star Wars around the age we were when we did... he could find Han Hoth in target - And maybe his mom would only need to pay $5.99 for it or if she'll shell out 11 bucks...

But let me rephrase my feelings that it's okay to dislike this line by Hasbro since I want never made before characters even if obscure.

Anyone has a right to like another Darth Vader I suppose. In tune with what Mr.Roboto said, the forums might be slow since there are fans like me who are not going to want to waste their time talking about the Darth Vader let alone buying one.

I am mad that Hasbro didn't listen and make Mara Skywalker Jedi.

I'm a fanboy because I want that. I'm not buying Mara Jade because I have some discriminating taste.

And I might be apologizing for Hasbro with my Han Hoth comment above.

If they re released him I may not comment about it because I have nothing to say. Certainly nothing positive or what would make it fun for a new Star Wars fan who never had that figure of Han before.

Forums can die with negativity from old cynics like me, encouraging young bloods to patronize new sites elsewhere. So I can help by not posting anything negative but I can't do anything about not being enthusiastic about participating either in regards two figures like Han Solo Hoth who I have no desire for.

Beast
09-25-2013, 11:53 AM
First I'll note that the line is for kids.
Not really. The Black Series is a Collector Focused Line. So your points that follow don't really make any sense.

JediTricks
09-25-2013, 04:20 PM
I've literally read through this entire thread and it has all confirmed my original posts. This line seems like a big waste of money/time and, once again, confirms my being glad that I don't collect anymore.

The fact that most of the individuals in here have gotten figures with defects (and JT's seems horrendous) and we're only a small portion of the collector population makes me wonder what kind of QC (or lack thereof) they're employing. This thread has the usual apologizers and ones that won't be swayed but everyone else is being honest in pretty much saying that this line isn't worth it.What defects do you mean Slick? What's wrong with these 2 that I just picked up on Tuesday? :crazed:

27954 27952
Yup, my 2nd Sandtrooper, and his paint-locked hip also was coming apart when I first started to examine, so I cut the paint lock. The joint is still too stiff to use, but it's also come apart so badly that it simply comes right off the figure when I try. The wrist was joint-locked but the hot water trick most freed that up, it was gummy as hell so I froze it after and then the PVC was nearly locked again but at least usable.

This is the R2 I'm keeping unless I see better (the one I had before was better, minus the shoulders being ruined). This is the best I can hope for, the masking is so far off on those front panels but was WORSE on the other 3 in the store that I turned down. How is this so friggin hard to cut a paint mask that fits and then paint inside it?

It's TWENTY DOLLARS A FIGURE! Twenty bucks each and I've had a success rate of 1:6 - my second Maul is the only one I feel confident about - even if my experiences are anomalies, how do you have a QC rate even half that poor? This line might be worth collecting, but it can't get past its own missteps and, I hate to say it, mismanagement - that R2 scale, middle leg gimmick, and other choices can't be called anything else, I'm sorry. I love team Star Wars Hasbro, but this is ridiculous, this is no way to build market loyalty.

I could nitpick these figures to death if I wanted to, but that's just not why I collect. Because if all I'm doing is focusing on negatives and only talking about what Hasbro got wrong, then I really see no point in spending my money on this stuff at all. As long as I feel that the positives of the figure outweigh the negatives, then I'm satisfied with it. If that's not critical enough for you, then I'm sorry; but I don't collect for you, I collect for myself. So, it's a little annoying to feel like I'm being insulted just because I choose to overlook certain flaws.

I only bought two figures from wave 1, Sandtrooper and Luke, and I don't have any real plans to buy another figure from this line until the Stormtrooper gets released in wave 3. Of the 2 Sandtroopers and one X-Wing Luke that I picked up, I have experienced zero manufacturing defects on any of those figures. So I can't speak towards that because the figures that I've bought had no major problems, other than minor paint flaws.FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

What do you consider "minor" paint flaws? And are you factoring the price into your positivity or is that separated? To some collectors, that's a big weight on this line, so it helps to know where a fellow collector stands. Sideshow Grievous might be the best thing since sliced bread to someone who can wipe their nose with twenty dollar bills, but at $200 I really cannot see where my hard-earned money is going on that one, so it mitigates a potentially great figure - "of course it's going to be fairly good, it's the price of a used '80s Toyota Corolla".

It's a shame what SSG has turned into. It's like the Jedi Order in ANH... and it's fire has gone out of the universe.You were more fun when you were the one who quit collecting SW. Anyway, the site is in hibernation largely due to Hasbro choking the life out of collecting for the last 2 years, and Steve as well as myself having real life stuff we each have to deal with ahead of the site's needs. And aside from Slicker, nobody has really gotten deep into that "fanboyism" and "apologist" thing in a long time, certainly there's far less of it here than other SW sites - but you're not citing one of the SW sites, you're citing Fwoosh who kissed SDCC Boba Fett figure's behind despite serious drawbacks in sculpting and quality there - but I guess if you can't be honest, at least be a cheerleader, eh? I'll take a more realistic perspective at this though, one that isn't blinded by newness. (Of course, their forums have people digging at these figures too, but we'll pretend that they don't exist for the sake of your argument.)

Quit taking it personally if some people don't like this stuff.Ding ding! Give the man a cigar.

My brother bought the sandtrooper and I thought it was pretty neat, so I ended up getting one for myself. I think the helmet part is painted a little more than the rest of the armor, but its not bad. I'll probably end up getting the stormtrooper when it shows up. I swore I wasn't going to get into this 6" line, so much for that.

JT, I saw an R2 at Target the yesterday, and it was a pretty pathetic piece of plastlic. The paint job was terrible and one of the legs was shorter than the other. This one is a definite pass to me.Yeah, a lot of the sandtroopers have extra weathering on the helmets. I've only seen 2 in stores, bought them both (and had to return them both), the first one was extra weathered like you're saying, and this second one in the pic above is less so but the weathering has obvious brush strokes right up front. If I find a 3rd one, I'll maybe swap out this helmet for that figure's as I suspect it'll be heavy as well.

R2 is not well-presented in package, it's not as bad as it seems in the box, and the legs being different lengths is probably due to the angle they were clumsily jammed into the tray. Still, I couldn't recommend the figure even in pristine condition based on the issues that it does have, but I wouldn't say "definitely pass" until you experience one out of package first.

I'm sort of agreeing with Mr. Roboto and Slicker here.

The first thing I don't like is the lack of civility. But it is worse at rebelscum than it is here.

I saw a thread where my own friend BigBarada here was mistreated over at rebelscum about one dumb issue or another.

Mr. Roboto: You are right that there is a lack of interesting product. I do not buy more Resculpts of figures I already own. Yes Slicker, Those are apologists that are claiming how great the new black line is.

It offers me little but I will buy three figures: Plagueis, 6" ROTS Obi-Wan, 6"ROTS Bespin Luke.

If the 3 3/4" Dagobah Luke is interesting with his jacket open I'll consider it.

I am usually not posting because I do not want to add to the negativity but at least I am NOT attacking others.There's almost nothing to collect and not much positive to talk about, that's pretty much it exactly. And yeah, it's driving fans from all sites a little battier than usual, not just ours, not just driving many collectors away.

Gotta love how calling people "Fanboys" and "Apologists" doesn't seem to count as attacking others in your view. http://www.sirstevesguide.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

And did you miss the fact that Big Barada was pretty much attached here for liking the line as well?

Gotta love the double standards that anyone who actually likes the line can't be doing so cause they genuinely do.Gotta love how you're the only one who has used "fanboy" in this conversation, and if you don't think you're taking it personally from Slicker - who has always been a certain type of vocal and direct-posting fellow - look how many times you've posted in this thread in the past week compared to... well, all of your posting habits over the past 5 years on SSG. This despite the fact that Slicker named neither you nor bigbarada personally. No dude, you ARE invested personally in this 6" line, and that's fine, that's good that you're having fun, but don't pretend that's not the case that it's personal for you.

Not really. The Black Series is a Collector Focused Line. So your points that follow don't really make any sense.He's talking about the entire The Black Series, mostly 3.75". But c'mon, that leg gimmick on R2, that's a kiddie gimmick that ruins the figure, that's not for collectors at all. Why Luke Pilot in wave 1 if not for his colorful recognizability? No collector was DYING to get that version of Luke up front in a new scale that will never have an X-wing to go with it. Who are all those Anakins and Vaders in the 3.75" line stuck on pegs now for? Where are the aliens and background guys in TBS 3.75"? None in wave 1. Resculpts of background Jedi in wave 2. What about the winning Mara Jade Skywalker getting torpedoed for recognizability? The collector focus is heavily compromised by Hasbro to reach out to kids, the first few waves of those are still that same kid focus.

Snowtrooper
09-25-2013, 07:03 PM
I was looking at Darth Maul in the store and really considering buying him, but I might wait for a different day. The had 2 X-wing Lukes there, but I wasn't terribly impressed by those. Something about the leg and torso proportions that seemed off to me. I also didn't care for the orange hair paint job either.

I'd like to say that, even though SSG doesn't have the activity that RS or RPF has, I'm alright with that. Alot of times you have to wade through mindless chit chat to get to something significant. Its especially bad when members get into slap fights, as I call them, with one another. Here, most of the time when people post something, they've got something to say, especially the senior members.

OC47151
09-25-2013, 08:35 PM
I still haven't bought any of the 6" line. I came close to picking up the sandtrooper last weekend but couldn't bring myself to it.

bigbarada
09-25-2013, 10:17 PM
What do you consider "minor" paint flaws? And are you factoring the price into your positivity or is that separated? To some collectors, that's a big weight on this line, so it helps to know where a fellow collector stands. Sideshow Grievous might be the best thing since sliced bread to someone who can wipe their nose with twenty dollar bills, but at $200 I really cannot see where my hard-earned money is going on that one, so it mitigates a potentially great figure - "of course it's going to be fairly good, it's the price of a used '80s Toyota Corolla".

I take both the price and the fact that these are produced by Hasbro into consideration.

If you look at our options, we have the $6 Saga Legends line, the $10 "Premium" 3.75" line, and then the $20 6" line. After that there is nothing until you get to the $80 Gentle Giant Jumbo Kenner line and then the $120+ Sideshow 12" line.

So, the $20 pricetag is factored into my opinion of this line, but only because it's so low in comparison to Gentle Giant and Sideshow.

Also, this is Hasbro we're talking about. Expecting a high-quality collectors line out of Hasbro is like expecting gourmet food out of McDonalds. You might be fortunate enough 2 or 3 times in your life to get some amazing food out of McDonalds, but most of the time you're just lucky if you don't drive home with food poisoning.

It's the same with Hasbro. You just have to expect a certain low-quality to even their most "premium" toy offerings. Every once in a while, they'll surprise you and turn out something amazing (TVC Gamorrean Guard); but most of the time you're just going to end up with a children's toy. Even the 6" line says 'ages 4+' on the packaging so those figures still qualify as children's toys.

Now if I buy something from Sideshow that's designed with the intention of being a high-quality collectors item, I'm much more demanding. For instance, I was initially excited about the 12" Bossk figure, but have seen way too many minor flaws on the figure to justify paying close to $200 for it. If that had been a $100 figure, then it would be in my collection now and I would be able to overlook those flaws.

Also, after so many years collecting vintage Kenner figures, I'm a bit desensitized to price and $20 per figure still feels cheap to me. I don't really start becoming super nitpicky until the price crosses the $75 mark.

El Chuxter
09-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Wow.... This got really heated really fast.

Personally, I've not been impressed. I don't care if anyone else is or isn't. But I'd like to point out that I also take into account that these "premium" figures are made by Hasbro....

...The same Hasbro that routinely makes G.I. Joe figures for half the price that stomp The Black Series in pretty much every way. More joints, better paint application, more accessories. Look at figures like the Cobra Combat Ninja, Kwinn, or the Data-Viper; Hasbro should be able to do a lot more with a figure that costs twice as much, and they simply haven't. (The three examples I used were only from the latest wave; Low-Light and Commando Snake Eyes are two or three years old and still light-years beyond than any Star Wars figure ever produced by Hasbro in any size).

Hasbro also makes Transformers that tend to be a bit more hit-and-miss in terms of quality, but routinely have a lot more moving parts, even on figures that sell for a quarter of The Black Series' $20 price tag, with joint issues being quite rare.

Just saying, if you like 'em, go ahead and like 'em. I happen to be underwhelmed.

Tycho
09-26-2013, 04:24 AM
I have a civil question. If a 6" $20 figure is for collectors why does Luke not have a holster for his blaster or just not include the blaster?

bigbarada
09-26-2013, 07:38 AM
I have a civil question. If a 6" $20 figure is for collectors why does Luke not have a holster for his blaster or just not include the blaster?

That's because Luke doesn't have a holster on his ANH X-Wing Pilot outfit. You're probably thinking of his Snowspeeder Pilot outfit from ESB.

Beast
09-26-2013, 08:47 AM
I have a civil question.

If a 6" $20 figure is for collectors why does Luke not have a holster for his blaster or just not include the blaster?
Because Luke never had a holster for a blaster when in his X-Wing Gear. Simple as that.

Same reason the Sandtrooper doesn't have a holster, but the upcoming Stormtrooper does.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Because Luke never had a holster for a blaster when in his X-Wing Gear. Simple as that.Do you mean in ANH? Here's a shot of Luke on Dagobah with his blaster holstered.

Beast
09-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Do you mean in ANH? Here's a shot of Luke on Dagobah with his blaster holstered.
That's Luke in his Snowspeeder Gear though. Since he wore that uniform in ESB, not the X-Wing one.

Tycho
09-30-2013, 05:28 AM
Yeah. My point about a $20 figure is that it is for collectors - to be authentic.

Don't include the blaster or lightsaber for ANH Luke.

It's an authentic collector figure, right? ;)

How about extra hands (gloves on, gloves off? or damaged ROTJ hand?)

2 helmets: visor up, visor down?

Don't know. Don't collect these. Don't really care.

Slicker
10-01-2013, 12:06 AM
What defects do you mean Slick? What's wrong with these 2 that I just picked up on Tuesday? :crazed:

Thank you Senor Tricks. :-P

I take both the price and the fact that these are produced by Hasbro into consideration.

So you take Hasbro into consideration and accept sub-par production? Would you buy a particular vehicle because you liked them but they produced sub-par vehicles?

That's Luke in his Snowspeeder Gear though. Since he wore that uniform in ESB, not the X-Wing one.Honest question. Is the Black Series figure specifically from ANH? Is there a possibility it could be from ESB too? Once again I'm just seriously asking.

bigbarada
10-01-2013, 12:51 AM
So you take Hasbro into consideration and accept sub-par production? Would you buy a particular vehicle because you liked them but they produced sub-par vehicles?

It's not like there are other companies out there who produce 6" or 3.75" Star Wars figures, since Hasbro is the only company who has that license. So, using the cars analogy doesn't really work at all.

Tycho
10-01-2013, 04:26 AM

I did and didn't like it in the case of the Sith Infiltrator.

The ship did not do anything in the movie, so I figured it didn't warrant a vehicle the size of the Royal Starship or maybe slightly smaller than that (the real Sith Infiltrator had to be smaller than the Royal Starship).

But it ended up being too small and didn't work as a "star fighter."

I thought we could check the Sith Infiltrator off our list if they did it that way.

Now, Slave-One, the Clone Fighter Tank, and the (next) Jedi Starfighter were remolded and made REALLY sub-par (though for the kids' market). I'm buying none of that. I forget which underscaled vehicles were due next but don't care either.

I am hoping that at least as an exclusive we get full-sized fighter class vehicles with such new additions as the Gungan Bongo Submarine.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Honest question. Is the Black Series figure specifically from ANH? Is there a possibility it could be from ESB too? Once again I'm just seriously asking.
No, the outfits are different. The pilots wear puffier jumpsuits and lighter-colored boots and gloves on Hoth, and since Luke goes from Hoth to Dagobah to Bespin, he only wears the snowspeeder pilot gear in the film. He wears the X-wing gear in ROTJ, but the figure wouldn't work for that due to the pre-car-accident appearance.

El Chuxter
10-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Not to sound too nitpicky, but if you're going for scene accuracy down to the fact that Luke doesn't have a holster in ANH, shouldn't you leave out the saber and blaster entirely? He doesn't carry either of those at all in ANH when wearing his flight gear, so both accessories are technically inaccurate.

Call me crazy or whatever, but if I were paying $20 for a higher-end collectible figure who comes with a blaster, I'd want the holster. I can assume that anytime Luke's wearing his flight gear and has a blaster, he'd carry a holster rather than having it slide around loose in the cockpit and risk blowing his head off.

Beast
10-02-2013, 12:56 PM
The lightsaber and blaster pistol are iconic weapons though. And are included to offer display options.

And as Hasbro has said before, people complain if you don't include those basic accessories.

bigbarada
10-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that Hasbro should NEVER release a Luke Skywalker figure without a lightsaber, regardless of whether it is screen accurate or not. I even have a heart-wrenching story explaining exactly why, but I'm sure I've already told it several times.

Either way, the lightsaber would have been in Luke's possession during the Battle of Yavin, so there is no reason to not include it. Especially since we'll likely never get a 6" scale X-Wing to display Luke in, so they gotta offer something more than just his helmet as an accessory.

El Chuxter
10-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Just saying, couldn't they have it both ways with a removable holster? If G.I. Joe can pull it off at half the size and price, why not The Black Series? At that size, it should be easier and more cost-effective.

Beast
10-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Just saying, couldn't they have it both ways with a removable holster? If G.I. Joe can pull it off at half the size and price, why not The Black Series? At that size, it should be easier and more cost-effective.
But he never had a holster on the actual ANH X-Wing costume. Just like the Sandtrooper doesn't have one either.

Slicker
10-06-2013, 12:37 AM
But he never had a holster on the actual ANH X-Wing costume. Just like the Sandtrooper doesn't have one either.And he never carried a lightsaber or pistol in the ANH W-Wing costume either yet you're fine with them being there. You can't pick and choose which things you think belong and don't belong.

bigbarada
10-06-2013, 08:00 AM
And he never carried a lightsaber or pistol in the ANH W-Wing costume either yet you're fine with them being there. You can't pick and choose which things you think belong and don't belong.

Well, the blaster and lightsaber are not permanently attached to the figure, but a holster would be. So it's really two different things.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Well, the blaster and lightsaber are not permanently attached to the figure, but a holster would be. So it's really two different things.But with the larger scale, couldn't the holster be un-clippable? Like a breath mask on an ESB character, or a soft goods jacket, or a bandolier strap?

Unless, this is just a marketing campaign to get us to buy an ANH flight suit Luke (no blaster or lightsaber), an ESB flight suit Luke (with holster, lightsaber, etc.) and a ROJ flight suit Luke (with holster, new lightsaber hilt, black glove, etc.).

El Chuxter
10-06-2013, 10:40 AM
That's what I'm getting at. I know you probably think I'm a broken record, but if a company can produce a good-looking detachable holster for a $10 3.75" G.I. Joe figure, that same company should be able to do a convincing holster on a $20 6" Star Wars figure designed to be a collectible rather than a toy.

That way, you want film accuracy, take the holster off and display him without any accessories. But if you really think about it, he'd carry a holster if he's carrying a blaster; otherwise, if he hits some turbulence or something, the blaster might bounce around the cockpit and blow his head off.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Unless Luke goes all gangsta and just tucks in into his waistband.

bigbarada
10-06-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm sure there is a safety setting on those blasters. :p

Seriously, though, I think you guys are really reaching to find something to complain about here.

I actually returned the Luke X-Wing that I bought because I decided that I'm not going to collect the main characters for this line. I'm primarily going to focus on Imperial troopers and a few bounty hunters. If we ever get any of Jabba's henchmen in this line, then I'll get those too. So right now I just have two Sandtroopers and I'm holding out to see how the production version of the Stormtrooper turns out. Honestly, if they botch the Stormtrooper, then my enthusiasm for this line is going to take a major hit. Judging from the prototype, the Stormtrooper looks pretty crappy. I'm just hoping that they can somehow save it in production.

If Hasbro can't save the Stormtrooper, I'll still hold out some hope for the upcoming Biker Scout. If they somehow screw up the Biker Scout, then I'm bailing on this line... at least until we get an announcement for Bossk and the TIE Fighter Pilot.

True story: When I returned the 6" Luke X-Wing figure to Target, the lady behind the register said, "It doesn't look anything like him, is that why you're returning it?" :D I actually think the likeness is pretty good myself; but I still found that kinda funny.

JediTricks
10-14-2013, 08:29 PM
So last week Amazon had all wave 1 on sale for $16, I grabbed another Sandtrooper to replace my second defecto, and got Luke. I now have all of wave 1.

Sandtrooper, 3rd pass, finally a keeper - surprisingly decent paint, no broken parts, helmet mostly matches. Still some bald white here and there. There are a couple issues I noticed that I think have been overlooked so far, the helmet is too wide for the ANH Sandtrooper costume, it's too jowly. Also, the backpack is sitting too high, I haven't seen a single trooper image where they're wearing it at mid-helmet like this, they're always below the shoulders, that'd translate into sitting at least 9" too high; it's also about 10% too big.

Luke X-wing Pilot - another lucky get, the paint is pretty decent on the white flak vest. Out of package and posed, the hips aren't as obviously oversized. Sculpting and paint are pretty good, the small eyes work well. The painted face isn't too bad, I'm more annoyed at the orange paint over black plastic forearms, it gets away with it but it's hardly perfect at the joints. Better than I expected at this price, but I can see why I would have been more harsh at full price.

I was looking at Darth Maul in the store and really considering buying him, but I might wait for a different day. The had 2 X-wing Lukes there, but I wasn't terribly impressed by those. Something about the leg and torso proportions that seemed off to me. I also didn't care for the orange hair paint job either. It's the hips that are probably throwing you off, Hasbro for some reason went with a T-bar hip system that requires the anchor point inside the crotch to be a little wider than it should be, so the hips are further apart and slightly bigger than they should be. Once it's out of package, it's not as offensive and you can easily pose the figure to look more natural, but it is something they made a dubious choice by doing.

If you look at our options, we have the $6 Saga Legends line, the $10 "Premium" 3.75" line, and then the $20 6" line. After that there is nothing until you get to the $80 Gentle Giant Jumbo Kenner line and then the $120+ Sideshow 12" line.

So, the $20 pricetag is factored into my opinion of this line, but only because it's so low in comparison to Gentle Giant and Sideshow.

Also, this is Hasbro we're talking about. Expecting a high-quality collectors line out of Hasbro is like expecting gourmet food out of McDonalds. You might be fortunate enough 2 or 3 times in your life to get some amazing food out of McDonalds, but most of the time you're just lucky if you don't drive home with food poisoning.

It's the same with Hasbro. You just have to expect a certain low-quality to even their most "premium" toy offerings. Every once in a while, they'll surprise you and turn out something amazing (TVC Gamorrean Guard); but most of the time you're just going to end up with a children's toy. Even the 6" line says 'ages 4+' on the packaging so those figures still qualify as children's toys.

Now if I buy something from Sideshow that's designed with the intention of being a high-quality collectors item, I'm much more demanding. For instance, I was initially excited about the 12" Bossk figure, but have seen way too many minor flaws on the figure to justify paying close to $200 for it. If that had been a $100 figure, then it would be in my collection now and I would be able to overlook those flaws.

Also, after so many years collecting vintage Kenner figures, I'm a bit desensitized to price and $20 per figure still feels cheap to me. I don't really start becoming super nitpicky until the price crosses the $75 mark.I'm not sure I can look at these figures and compare them to GG or Sideshow, they still don't cross that line into "true collectible" that you could call a reasonable level of competition on. I suppose that's where you and I part ways in our opinions on this line. And I can back that claim up in that Amazon had the figures for $16 last week, so I went and bought Luke X-wing and another Sandtrooper to replace my second defective one. So where $20 felt too high, $16 did not and now I own a figure I thought I'd never get. All it takes for some holdouts is increasing the value or lowering the cost.

The fact that you have some "it's all good between $10 and $75" range is a little weird to me, there's a massive variety there, the GG mini bust line has lived its whole life in there.

Here's my problem with the "Hasbro is McDonalds" argument, it's both true and seems to actively be getting worse, yet Hasbro is pushing these as a gourmet product line that is intended to get away with that, they have gone out of their way to present the line as partnering with one of the best collector companies in the Star Wars licensee pantheon - Gentle Giant - when it's obvious that Hasbro's factory just takes the great sculpts and paint and churns them into something far less than they should be to save money for Hasbro's bottom line.

Wow.... This got really heated really fast.

Personally, I've not been impressed. I don't care if anyone else is or isn't. But I'd like to point out that I also take into account that these "premium" figures are made by Hasbro....

...The same Hasbro that routinely makes G.I. Joe figures for half the price that stomp The Black Series in pretty much every way. More joints, better paint application, more accessories. Look at figures like the Cobra Combat Ninja, Kwinn, or the Data-Viper; Hasbro should be able to do a lot more with a figure that costs twice as much, and they simply haven't. (The three examples I used were only from the latest wave; Low-Light and Commando Snake Eyes are two or three years old and still light-years beyond than any Star Wars figure ever produced by Hasbro in any size).

Hasbro also makes Transformers that tend to be a bit more hit-and-miss in terms of quality, but routinely have a lot more moving parts, even on figures that sell for a quarter of The Black Series' $20 price tag, with joint issues being quite rare.

Just saying, if you like 'em, go ahead and like 'em. I happen to be underwhelmed.Yes, it got heated too easily.

Hasbro is showing issues on planning, budgeting, and styling with Star Wars, my guess is that the license cost has eaten itself into the brand too heavily, but it could also be about the specific factory in China. That factory is ultimately who produces the final sculpts, they interpret all the quality work Hasbro does into the cut steel molds, and that factory is the bottleneck of choices.

Yeah. My point about a $20 figure is that it is for collectors - to be authentic.

Don't include the blaster or lightsaber for ANH Luke.

It's an authentic collector figure, right? ;)

How about extra hands (gloves on, gloves off? or damaged ROTJ hand?)

2 helmets: visor up, visor down?

Don't know. Don't collect these. Don't really care.Gloves off would require an entire new forearm, the articulation is midway down the glove so half of the glove is sculpted to the forearm piece and half is a separate hand.

The figure is still authentic with or without his gun and lightsaber. Yes, Hasbro could have sculpted an expensive, complicated gunbelt (because in ESB the holster is on a separate gunbelt that is attached to the outer weather jacket, not the flight suit itself, so they'd have to cheat) but that'd be a waste of budget.

Thank you Senor Tricks. :-PThank Hasbro for delivering so many failures my way. :p

Honest question. Is the Black Series figure specifically from ANH? Is there a possibility it could be from ESB too? Once again I'm just seriously asking.Yes, it's clearly from ANH, the outfit is only used in ANH, the facial sculpt and hair are specific to ANH (Mark Hamill's face was badly injured after filming ANH, so it has some different structure in ESB), even the lightsaber itself is specific to ANH (in ESB, the prop changed a few little elements such as the red button under the emitter as well as on top). Like the Sandtrooper, they really did go for more authenticity with these, and I consider that a good thing.

No, the outfits are different. The pilots wear puffier jumpsuits and lighter-colored boots and gloves on Hoth, and since Luke goes from Hoth to Dagobah to Bespin, he only wears the snowspeeder pilot gear in the film. He wears the X-wing gear in ROTJ, but the figure wouldn't work for that due to the pre-car-accident appearance.The flight suit in ESB is the same, what's different is the design of a puffy, slightly different shade of orange jacket which sits on top of the regular flight suit. That over-jacket has ribbing down the shoulders not unlike Greedo's jacket, it has a rank badge over the left breast under the flak vest, and a very puffy and tall collar. Luke's boots on Hoth are the same ones seen on Dagobah, a stark departure from the ANH leather boots, and the cylinders-bandolier is on the opposite boot now. Luke's gauntlets are now more workman style than flight style. The flak vest looks similar but is actually altered with the straps attached to the chest on the outside with snaps and has hangers below that. The chest box is the same but the hose now goes into the flight suit on the hip rather than the torso (since the upper body is covered by the over-jacket). Luke wears a headsock, and the helmet no longer has a microphone. And the outfit has a gunbelt over everything with a holster sporting a tie around the leg.

bigbarada
10-19-2013, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure I can look at these figures and compare them to GG or Sideshow, they still don't cross that line into "true collectible" that you could call a reasonable level of competition on. I suppose that's where you and I part ways in our opinions on this line. And I can back that claim up in that Amazon had the figures for $16 last week, so I went and bought Luke X-wing and another Sandtrooper to replace my second defective one. So where $20 felt too high, $16 did not and now I own a figure I thought I'd never get. All it takes for some holdouts is increasing the value or lowering the cost.

The fact that you have some "it's all good between $10 and $75" range is a little weird to me, there's a massive variety there, the GG mini bust line has lived its whole life in there.

Here's my problem with the "Hasbro is McDonalds" argument, it's both true and seems to actively be getting worse, yet Hasbro is pushing these as a gourmet product line that is intended to get away with that, they have gone out of their way to present the line as partnering with one of the best collector companies in the Star Wars licensee pantheon - Gentle Giant - when it's obvious that Hasbro's factory just takes the great sculpts and paint and churns them into something far less than they should be to save money for Hasbro's bottom line.

As much as I like this line, the financial reality of paying $20 each is starting to take a toll on my interest in these toys. It's not that I can't afford to collect the 6" line, but I'm starting to realize that I really don't want to amass yet another Star Wars collection. Especially not so soon after getting rid of my previous collection. I actually returned my second Sandtrooper to the store last week, so I just have the one Sandtrooper in my "collection" right now. I don't plan to buy another 6" figure until the Stormtrooper is released and even then there are some big question marks surrounding that purchase based on the crappy prototype we've seen.

I've decided to make the jump to collecting comic book themed statues. Right now I'm looking at some of the 12" scale Bowen Designs Marvel statues. I actually bought their Original X-Men Beast statue this afternoon for about $150 and my impressions of that item, when it arrives, will determine whether or not I want to pursue this new hobby.

I know it seems weird that I'd complain about a $20 price tag and then say that I'm jumping into a hobby that averages around $200 per item; but after spending hundreds of dollars on modern Star Wars toys in the past my only memories of the actual collection were that it was all garbage and I simply wasted all of the money that I spent on it. My only regret in getting rid of my Star Wars collection is that I didn't get rid of it sooner. So now I'm going to try to collect an actual high-end line (not just something that claims to be high-end) and see if that's somehow more fulfilling.

Also, I feel like I've been stuck in a rut with Star Wars and it's like I've been buying the same stuff over and over again for the last decade. So, I think it's time to take a break.

JediTricks
10-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Ouch, that's rough. I do hear ya on buying the same stuff over and over though, I looked over and saw a 3.75" Sandtrooper I hadn't remembered buying so recently, I'm so tired of buying Sandtroopers now, and all of them still have annoying flaws because they're Hasbro. It's like a built-in level of pain for Hasbro product now that isn't found on other collectible lines, and nothing Hasbro does seems to make it better, so a $200 statue somehow does make more sense than a $20 figure.

I have my wave 1 figures set up together on my desk right now, and R2 looks woefully underscaled, the Sandtrooper has that backpack issue and too much bulk on his upper body, Maul can barely stand on his own, so it's really surprising that the Luke figure continues to hold up considering he was my biggest holdout.

Droid
10-25-2013, 09:17 AM
My only regret in getting rid of my Star Wars collection is that I didn't get rid of it sooner. So now I'm going to try to collect an actual high-end line (not just something that claims to be high-end) and see if that's somehow more fulfilling.

I read in another thread that you kept something like seven figures, which just blows my mind. To my calculation, that would not even leave all of the characters from the skiffs, let alone the sail barge. Given your intense interest in that scene, I've got to ask what you did keep. Luke, Lando, Chewie, Han, Pote Snitkin, Barada, Kithaba, Nikto, and Boba Fett would already be more than seven! And that would mean you didn't keep a single Vader, R2, 3P0, Obi-wan, Emperor, or any cantina alien. So tell me, which figures did you keep?!

bigbarada
10-25-2013, 09:51 AM
I read in another thread that you kept something like seven figures, which just blows my mind. To my calculation, that would not even leave all of the characters from the skiffs, let alone the sail barge. Given your intense interest in that scene, I've got to ask what you did keep. Luke, Lando, Chewie, Han, Pote Snitkin, Barada, Kithaba, Nikto, and Boba Fett would already be more than seven! And that would mean you didn't keep a single Vader, R2, 3P0, Obi-wan, Emperor, or any cantina alien. So tell me, which figures did you keep?!

Well, the figures I kept I did so because of sentimental value and not just because of what scene they appeared in. So, I kept both variations of Kithaba, two Gamorrean Guards, Ephant Mon, the 2003 TIE Fighter Pilot, and the vintage TIE Fighter Pilot. I've added a few back to the collection since then because of the 2013 Saga Legends and Mission Series assortments; but I'm still only at about 15 action figure right now and, when I look at my collection, I keep thinking that I need to get rid of some more stuff before I start adding figures to it again.

As for the Skiff Battle, I decided that completing scenes from the movies and building dioramas were simply not my collecting goals. It's great for other people, but it's not something that I am interested in spending vast amounts of money on anymore.

Droid
10-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Well, the figures I kept I did so because of sentimental value and not just because of what scene they appeared in. So, I kept both variations of Kithaba, two Gamorrean Guards, Ephant Mon, the 2003 TIE Fighter Pilot, and the vintage TIE Fighter Pilot. I've added a few back to the collection since then because of the 2013 Saga Legends and Mission Series assortments; but I'm still only at about 15 action figure right now and, when I look at my collection, I keep thinking that I need to get rid of some more stuff before I start adding figures to it again.

As for the Skiff Battle, I decided that completing scenes from the movies and building dioramas were simply not my collecting goals. It's great for other people, but it's not something that I am interested in spending vast amounts of money on anymore.

I think of weeding out my collection even further than I have, but I'd never be able to do that kind of purge. What you did absolutely astounds me! Thanks for sharing!

Darth Metalmute
10-27-2013, 08:16 PM
I think of weeding out my collection even further than I have, but I'd never be able to do that kind of purge. What you did absolutely astounds me! Thanks for sharing!

It's a mindset. Once you do make the decision you have to jump on it right away or you'll never do it. I sold all my carded 3.5 inch figures in 2005 on ebay over a 1 month period. About a month ago I sold off all my 12" Hasbro figures on Craigslist. I find that if you don't do it all at once, you'll just end up repurchasing items again. The only figures I purchase now are ones that I open for display, which is about 3-5 a year.

bigbarada
11-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Once you get the momentum going it's hard to stop. As I'm selling stuff, there comes a point where money is rolling in and stuff is vanishing from my house. So as more and more space is freed up and my Paypal balance continues to increase, it's very difficult to just stop selling stuff. Usually, when I start looking to re-buy stuff that I've just sold, then I know it's time to take a break from selling my collection.

I've gone through a few of these purges over the years, but during this most recent one I just didn't stop until my entire collection could fit inside of a shoe box. I'm probably still not done selling stuff even now.

It's a mindset. Once you do make the decision you have to jump on it right away or you'll never do it. I sold all my carded 3.5 inch figures in 2005 on ebay over a 1 month period. About a month ago I sold off all my 12" Hasbro figures on Craigslist. I find that if you don't do it all at once, you'll just end up repurchasing items again. The only figures I purchase now are ones that I open for display, which is about 3-5 a year.

Yeah, selling in lots is a great way to just rip the band-aid off quickly and get rid of big chunks of your collection all at once. I usually end up losing money on lots, but that's not the point of selling these toys. As nice as any collection is, at some point it's just going to be in the way; so it's best to just be rid of it, even if you're losing 75%-90% of what you paid for it.

JetsAndHeels
11-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi guys. Hope everyone is doing well.

I have also been thinking about unloading some of my toys. Not just SW, but other things as well.

I think Craigslist might be a better option for me, as I do not have a paypal account and I haven't used in ebay in ages. Plus I don't like
having to ship things (I know that sounds silly but it's a quirk of mine). Do a lot of people meet in public or whatever to complete Craigslist transactions? Any advice or info would be great. Thanks.

bigbarada
11-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Hi guys. Hope everyone is doing well.

I have also been thinking about unloading some of my toys. Not just SW, but other things as well.

I think Craigslist might be a better option for me, as I do not have a paypal account and I haven't used in ebay in ages. Plus I don't like
having to ship things (I know that sounds silly but it's a quirk of mine). Do a lot of people meet in public or whatever to complete Craigslist transactions? Any advice or info would be great. Thanks.

Craigslist is probably the best option if you want to get rid of massive chunks of your collection all at once and still make back at least a percentage of what you've spent on it. But, since Craigslist is not as heavily regulated as a site like eBay, there is an element of risk involved. The most obvious one would be having total strangers showing up at your house to look at your stuff; but there are simple precautions you can take to protect yourself in that situation.

Tycho
11-08-2013, 02:11 PM
None of us can take our collection with us of course.

I also don't have the room in my place (barring I'm stuck living in 2 bedroom apartments for the rest of my life), so I'm considering selling 1/3 of my collection as dioramas every 10 years (beginning 10 years after I get my first dioramas all set up).

Then, except for any sequel trilogy diorama stuff I am sure to be buying (Jaina Solo!), I will have liquidated my collection in my 70's.

I won't have to worry about it when it's time for me to go to a nursing home and downsize everything (except for maybe by Ep 7-9 stuff).

I don't "need" to make my money back on all I bought. Heck, if Hasbro does only small ships (i.e. newest Slave-One for the $20 price point), people might really love my stuff - especially like a diorama with 2 Corporate Tank Droids, the Turbo Tank, Hailfire, Wookiee Flyer, Swamp Speeder, Droid Gunship, Dwarf Spider Droids - all in one big shot.

BUT I AM GOING TO INVITE STRANGERS TO MY HOME once every 10 years or so to bid on my collection. A sort of "See before you buy thing."

I'm probably going to use eBay and just see what my diorama building efforts garner. I think I will start 2-month long auctions at only $0.99!

Like I said, I'm not worried about what I make on the toys. For me, it's not about money, but a high sale point is a compliment to my collection.

Meanwhile, I will (instead of a reserve) indicate that people that want to see before they buy must be bidders and the price must climb over a certain dollar value and then I'll give them my private address location.

I hate shipping and will not be responsible, so I will limit my selling circle by saying "auction winners are responsible for picking up their winning items in person." I will make appointments and stay all day if necessary for people to pack stuff. (Only one winner and their help in my home at a time - not a convention at my place where I cannot supervise the packing).

I AM NOT CONCERNED WITH SNIPING - but I don't think it will come to that, because for you to view before you buy, I will set the bid requirement up to at least half the purchasing value before I invite strangers.

I will have a computer available for them to log on and place their max bids while they're here.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: I will have an opportunity to engage with other Star Wars fans who are interested in this stuff and the reason for some 2 (or even 3) month auction is to display my stuff online in another forum (eBay obviously) so I can interact with more people online. And someone just looking for a TurboTank might see all my other stuff.

I will have the auctions all ending around Comic Con so some international and east-coasters / mid-westerners might have the opportunity to visit if they're high-bidders and pack their stuff if they've won and want to send their items elsewhere.

Then I can guarantee everything and not have a bad rep for any shipping problems.

But who knows if eBay, Comic Con, or any of that stuff will be around in 2024 when I am first ready to sell ANYTHING?

Of if I am very successful, maybe by 2024, I'll have bought a large house and will want to just add another 1/3 or more to what I already can display.

Mostly: 2014-2024 Prequel Trilogy stuff and some classic

2025-2035 Classic Trilogy stuff and Transformers and Terminator

2036-2046 Star Trek and PT / OT Hoth and Bespin (mostly ESB) stuff

2047 - until my death (OK - I'm in my 70's now) - Sequel Trilogy Jaina Solo-Fel / Ben Skywalker stuff

Depending upon world economics and whether larger vehicles ever return, I will have pretty good vehicle and high-end Star Wars stuff to display and offer that may not be available in the future. I have some 80's vintage amongst it all and 30 years from now, some folks like those amongst you today who try to collect the 80's vintage will actually want the millennial prequel trilogy stuff etc.

I have Droid and Clone ARMIES and ROTJ OT fighter FLEETS!

JediTricks
11-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Sooooooooo anyway...

Having seen pictures of the second and third wave of this 6" line, I am glad I didn't balk too much at Luke's painted face, it looks much better than the bald plastic used on Han and Leia production pieces and even on the pre-production Hasbro photo pieces. It absorbs light more naturally than the awful plastic, which is shiny and cheap-looking.

Another thing that wave 1 Luke has going for him is quality paint on the eyes, they are small and subtle fitting inside decent sculpting, and they have coloring that's quiet, and whites that aren't too big.

I hope this Luke isn't the last humanoid figure in the line to enjoy such a deco, but it's starting to feel that way.

figrin bran
11-27-2013, 11:51 AM
A lot of the wave 1 figs are only 9.99 on Amazon right now.

JediTricks
12-03-2013, 01:53 PM
My Darth Maul fell over today. The hip joints failed and his legs splayed wide. When I picked him up and fixed his legs, I noticed his lightsaber had wilted horribly, and now one hilt looks like Count Dooku's from being so bent. I'll reset it with hot water, but this is inevitably going to happen again.