PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Flying!

Darth_Maul25SW
03-11-2002, 12:06 AM
Is it possible that fear of flying can lead to the dark side? If so someone needs to help Obi-Wan with his phobia. Does the Star Wars universe have psychiatrists?:D

SithDroid
03-11-2002, 12:24 AM
Good point. You would think that a Jedi like Obi-Wan would be used to space battles. Oh well, it just goes to show that GL sucks at writing and doing his research.

Beast
03-11-2002, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
Good point. You would think that a Jedi like Obi-Wan would be used to space battles. Oh well, it just goes to show that GL sucks at writing and doing his research.
Why would Obi-Wan be used to Space Battles? The Jedi are peace keepers, not warriors. Mace said somthing similar to that in the trailers. And it was also stated in the trailer, somthing similar to this being the first possible war since the republic was formed.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth_Maul25SW
03-11-2002, 12:52 AM
Well I was just kidding. I'm sure that something so small like a fear of flying wouldn't lead someone to the dark side. If that were true then you could just jump in front of a jedi and go boo and BAM! instant Sith Lord!! I think it's more of losing control of you fears that would lead someone to the dark side.

2-1B
03-11-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
And it was also stated in the trailer, somthing similar to this being the first possible war since the republic was formed.

That was Sio Bibble, if I'm not mistaken :)

About Obi-Wan's hate of flying, one thought I have is that maybe it's because of Anakin's hotrodding that he has developed an aversion to it.

He seems pretty calm on the Queen's ship in TPM, but maybe Anakin gave him a few close calls, and Jango is reminding him of those encounters during the asteroid chase. :happy:

Jedi Clint
03-11-2002, 01:08 AM
Perhaps EVERY time he flies, he ends up being in some kind of high speed chase and gets shot at and that is why he "hates flying".

JediTricks
03-11-2002, 11:30 PM
Obi-Wan seems to have absolutely no aversion to flying in ANH, seems to me like a big change in the character for a convenient gag.

2-1B
03-12-2002, 12:37 AM
JT,
that thought crossed my mind too . . . my guess is that after Episode III I'll probably have to make some assumptions as to what happened to Obi-Wan later in life.

But it seems like "later in life" means "after sitting in a desert for decades", so yeah, one would think his dislike of flying would only be that much greater after being grounded for so long :confused:

pthfnder89
03-12-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Obi-Wan seems to have absolutely no aversion to flying in ANH, seems to me like a big change in the character for a convenient gag.

Well, I'm guessing that young Obi Wan in AOTC wasn't fond of getting skewered by a lightsaber either JediTricks, but he didn't seem to mind THAT in ANH:dead:

Times change;):D;)

master jedi
03-13-2002, 03:18 PM
OB1 didn't say he was afraid of flying. He said he hated flying. He used the word hate as a metaphor(sp?) for 'dislike' or 'not care for'.

Beast
03-13-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
OB1 didn't say he was afraid of flying. He said he hated flying. He used the word hate as a metaphor(sp?) for 'dislike' or 'not care for'.
And seeing Anakin fly the Speeder in E2, can you really blame him. Not to mention the fact we knew that Anakin was a speed demon and a risk taker from E1's Pod Race and Naboo Fighter Battle. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
03-13-2002, 09:25 PM
All I said was "an aversion"; in ANH, there's no question he wants to jump on the first rickety charter off that sandy rock. Luke actually seems worried about flying in the Falcon, but Ben is ready for lift-off before he even starts his conversation with Han. And how about this? Obi-Wan didn't seem to have a problem flying in Ep 1 either, he flew in the Republic Cruiser, in the Trade Fed battleship, in the Trade Fed landing craft, in the Naboo Royal Starship, and in a cut-scene, I think he flew in a Coruscant Taxi as well, all without so much as a grumble about flight. Bah to this gag, I say, BAH!!!

DeMoN
03-18-2002, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by master jedi

And seeing Anakin fly the Speeder in E2, can you really blame him. Not to mention the fact we knew that Anakin was a speed demon and a risk taker from E1's Pod Race and Naboo Fighter Battle.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I wonder if Obi 1 gets vertigo when he jumps?

Oh and Jar Jar please answer me this question - Why do you post the entire quote to the post that goes before you, when a simple name drop would surfice?

Beast
03-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by DeMoN
Oh and Jar Jar please answer me this question - Why do you post the entire quote to the post that goes before you, when a simple name drop would surfice?
Force of habit I guess, I usually only do it when the thread is going off on numerous directions, just to keep it clear what I am replying to. I dunno, also seems a little more personal to let people know who and what I am responding to. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks