PDA

View Full Version : the Americans

Tycho
02-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Who's watching this new series on FX? It is excellent!

Its written by Joe Weisberg and I am Josh Weiselberg.
It's also strangely similar to an idea I have for the mother of my main character in the novel I'm working on now.

OC47150
02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
The pilot episode was waaaaaaaaaaay too slow. Too plodding. Ep #2 was great. Too bad the series couldn't have kicked off with that one. I will probably stick with it.

I also found it interesting that, in the pilot, barely any chemistry (minus the backseat car sex scene) between the two lead characters. I found them to be very standoffish toward each other. In Ep. 2, it was better. Maybe that part was rewritten or tweaked after the pilot was filmed.

Tycho
02-13-2013, 11:05 PM
The wife have just slept with another man for information. The couple was forcibly paired together though since they have 2 kids they might have developed feelings. I don't think they're passionately in love however. They might fall in and out of love depending upon their mission though.

OC47150
02-14-2013, 10:42 AM
It could be debated whether they're technically married, at least under US guidelines. Probably have a forged marriage license. But at least they could act a little more interested in each other.

Haven't watched last night's ep yet.

Tycho
02-14-2013, 01:39 PM
future scripts could call them to have extramarital affairs

OC47150
02-22-2013, 07:43 AM
It's been renewed for a second season.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/02/the-americans-renewed-for-season-2-on-fx.html

Tycho
02-22-2013, 09:41 PM
What I hope is that this season is not exceptionally short. C'mon FX. There's got to be more shows this year...

I don't honestly know. But I sure hope so. Walking Dead took a hiatus in season 3 and they're back on again - and it's still season 3.

The Americans is awesome TV at it's best.

It's hard to pick my favorite show - and you and I watch just about EXACTLY the same shows, OC.

Coming soon will be Falling Skies and Breaking Bad for the summer.

Honestly, with the latter, I have been so twisted by Breaking Bad that I worry the methamphetamine industry won't be the same if Jesse and Walt don't stick together and make it work as an industry - the "bad guys" winning in the end. And while we're at it - it really sucks that Mike the Hitman was killed last season. I wanted him in on the show for a while longer.

I still think Breaking Bad might be my favorite show. Possibly because Walt and Jesse cause their own problems.

I think that on The Americans, Phillip and Elizabeth's problems are caused by their superiors in the KGB (thus far) and oif they were left to act on their own, they'd be much smarter and effective than that haphazzard, extra urgent forced attempt to put a bug in the Defense Secretary's office clock.

Now with regards to Star Wars (as in SDI) - was it ever seriously researched or was it just a falsified agenda for Reagan to route out all the KGB operatives in the US?

I wonder if someone who had the means back in the 80's who a Star Wars collector, ever got busted trying to buy those plans to put with their KENNER figures and original poster art? ;)

OC47150
03-21-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm 3 - 4 eps behind. Need to watch OnDemand to get caught up.

Tycho
03-21-2013, 04:43 PM
FX does some marathon runs. The show is awesome!

OC47150
04-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Quick observation from the last few eps. The Russians are using Beretta 92Fs. It wasn't adopted by the US military as a replacement to the Colt .45 until 1983. Don't know how readily available the Beretta would've been in '81. A Browning Hi-Power might have been more accurate. I know, it's nitpicky but something that just popped out to me.

Tycho
05-04-2013, 01:41 AM
As a man, I still don't like Elizabeth's double-standard.

She gets to sleep around, with Gregory she at least even liked it. But if Phillip is with his ex from Russia, it's marital discord and separation time.

What's frustrating now is that these two apparently both truly love each other. If they'll just decide to have an open relationship - I mean it not mattering if outside affairs are business or pleasure - than they'd be fine and their kids would be better off.

I can't believe Phillip got married to that other FBI woman.

And how does the main FBI character get that fine, young Russian piece?

Man, I was thinking Kerri Russel was hot (and I normally don't look at older women) but man, that young KGB lieutenant! But why did she spill her guts to her superior? She really fell for that honor-duty patriotic crap? I know it's Soviet propoganda, but you got to look at the whole picture: there's American propoganda too of course.

OC47151
05-06-2013, 07:17 AM
I can't believe Phillip got married to that other FBI woman.

Man, I was thinking Kerri Russel was hot (and I normally don't look at older women) but man, that young KGB lieutenant! But why did she spill her guts to her superior? She really fell for that honor-duty patriotic crap? I know it's Soviet propoganda, but you got to look at the whole picture: there's American propoganda too of course.

Phillip's new wife is a super freak!

I know it's hard for us to comprehend, Tycho, but the Russian chick is an example of how a generation or two of Russians were raised and taught to believe.

Margo Martindale. Now there's a lady!