PDA

View Full Version : Arena Playset

Rollo Tomassi
03-11-2002, 12:35 AM
First off, after seeing the new trailer, does this thing seem totally inadequate to capture the massive feel of of several thousand clonetroopers, battel droids, super battle droids, droidekas, Jedi, nasty creatures, and gunships and other assorted sweet looking vehicles that are sure to be made into toys in the months ahead all engaged in a massive battle the likes of which have never been seen on the big screen?

Second, has anyone seen shots of the supposed other two thirds of the playset that recreate the docking bay, and the factory area?

2-1B
03-11-2002, 12:50 AM
"No" on the second question,

YES on the first question ! After being beaten over the head with Gladiator comparisons for a few years, I always pictured a more regal looking arena . . . but after seeing that cool looking "hole in the ground" death pit in the trailer, I do wonder how I am going to fit thousands and thousands of Geonosians (that's just the start) in that playset . . .

:D

LTBasker
03-11-2002, 12:59 AM
And don't forget the beasts! You can see the Ackley behind Obi-Wan in the trailer (which I only saw half of thanks to the extremely stupid people at FOX :frus: )

2-1B
03-11-2002, 01:18 AM
Yeah, those beasts will need a lot of room.
There was one creature I saw in the new trailer that reminded me of Edgar from MIB. It was only a glimpse, I doubt it will look that way to me once I've seen the whole thing :D

What will the factory area of the playset include? It seems to be fairly large in the movie, I'm sure they'll want to incorporate the "Death Star chasm" part as well as the conveyor segment. I'd like a huge droid melting pit :D

LTBasker
03-11-2002, 01:25 AM
I hope we can expand the arena itself, I'd like to put all the Jedi vs. Battle/Super Battle/Destroyer Droids and Geonosians and the beasts and I'd like to have plenty of each in there to make it more "dramatic." I think maybe I'll get a card table or something to display this sucker. :cool:

Jargo
03-11-2002, 06:00 AM
Well, did you honestly expect hasbro to come up with anything of quality? They've had god knows how many years to make a decent playset from the first movie and failed miserably in that respect so given that they probably didn't have much reference material and their track record on playets I think they did their usual lame job. I'm especially impressed by the crappy card extension diorama piece that looks like something off the back of a box of cornflakes. And that conveyor belt part could well be the droid factory guys. it has the droid stamping out piece on one end. Hasbro would probably label that an 'exciting' play feature....... :rolleyes:

I seriously think you've seen the best of it. :evil:

JEDIpartner
03-11-2002, 09:15 AM
I thought the arena looked pretty cool at the onset. The more and more pictures I had seen of this thing made me realise what shoddy goods this was going to be. The make up of the thing is so inconsistent. I laugh at that little cardboard "extension piece". What is THAT??!!! I see that there is little more to the main piece than a big, relatively unpainted brown lump of injection moulded plastic. I'd love to say that the rest of the set (which we haven't bee privvy to) is going to be just as disappointing. After seeing the trailer and the scope of the arena... I hardly think this glorified "backdrop" will do the ensuing chaos we've seen on film any justice.

Sad, sad, sad. :cry:

Jayspawn
03-11-2002, 01:30 PM
The playset seems a little small for what it needs to have in it. I'm wondering what the retail is going to be.

JEDIpartner
03-11-2002, 01:46 PM
that this thing would retail for $39.99 or so. I really couldn't see it for much more than $49.99, though. There really isn't a lot to it.

LTBasker
03-11-2002, 06:02 PM
Yep, on the TRU SKN released the Arena is listed for retail for $39.99.

JediMaster
03-12-2002, 06:52 AM
*****, *****, *****, *****, *****!!! Be happy that "Hasblow" is even offering a playset, will ya?!?!

JediMaster
03-12-2002, 06:54 AM
Okay, not that I really wanted to be CENSORED, but that word rhymes with "itch" and starts with a "b"...

Rollo Tomassi
03-12-2002, 08:34 AM
I'd be happy if Hasbro released a DECENT playset. The Episode 1 stuff, then the Carbon Freeze, and now this. If they are going to halfass it, then they shouldn't bother.

P.S. Your ***** was censored because this is an "all ages" website and the pre-teens don't need to be subjected to your foul mouthed language simply because your are too inarticulate to find a better word. If you want to cuss like a sailor, I suggest Aint-it-cool-news. I'm sure the potty mouthed reprobates over there would welcome you with open arms.

pthfnder89
03-12-2002, 09:22 AM
Uh... getting back to the arena...

I'm certain that I'll buy it, but I'm not sure if I will actually like it. Whe SirSteves posted the first pictures of the two Ep1 playsets, I literally drooled over them every day, and then I went to the trouble of preordering them from TRU.

I felt like killing someone from Hasbro when I got the Hangar set out of the box. To me, that still stands as the single worst piece of crap they have ever released in the Star Wars line, and that is saying something.

I was a little encouraged when I saw the Toyfair pics of the Arena, but I'm not gonna make any judgements until I see one in person. Hasbro better do it right this time.:frus: