PDA

View Full Version : Anybody gonna be buying some Saga Legends 2013 simple figures?

JediTricks
03-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Is anybody going to be buying those simple 5-POA figures coming out this year? Both the Saga Legends $6 ones and potentially the $10 Mission Series ones, I mean.

I'm considering buying the Super Battle Droid, we haven't had an SBD that looked good ever. The one we have is ok if you don't mind the crap articulation and the worthless bendy legs in a very wide pose - I mind those things. At least with the SL kiddie line, there's no bendy legs or stupid wide-legged pose to ruin the figure, and the sculpting looks sharp, and the gun forearm is pre-rotated to the shooting pose.

I'm also considering getting the Jango Fett from the Mission Series 2-pack, that's a sharp-looking Jango and in the movies he does have that pose of just standing there looking composed and like he could strike at any second. I'm a little hesitant as the Battle Droid is the same junk figure we've suffered for too long now (the pull-apart one from the deluxe 3PO set), and Jango only comes with 1 blaster pistol.

Other than that, nothing's really likely to come home with me. The clone figure looks good but a tad wide for my tastes and I already have a billion of 'em. Vader looks alright in the showroom photos Steve took but the sculpt seems skinny, at the very least it's a definite 'wait until it's in the single-carded line' department.

bigbarada
03-02-2013, 03:36 PM
I also think that Jango looks pretty cool. Probably the best looking Jango figure Hasbro has made yet.

I'm interested in a few of the Clonetroopers, which I never thought I'd say, but I actually think their chunkiness is kind of appealing. Kind of like what Clonetrooper figures would have looked like if they were made in the 80s.

The Darth Vader also looks really good although I'm not a fan of that cape material.

I plan to pick up a few from these initial assortments, maybe a couple of clones and that Jango figure. But I'm really hoping to see some OT characters remade in this style. Especially a Stormtrooper, a TIE Fighter Pilot, Bossk, maybe Chewbacca. As long as they are sculpted well, then I don't really mind the lack of articulation.

JediTricks
03-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Ah, the nostalgia angle on the Clones, you are right on the money there, I couldn't agree more. I just don't think I can spend money on nostalgia alone anymore. On the other hand, if Hasbro were to put these figures out on vintage-style cards as an exclusive, I might have to eat those words. :p

OT would be fun to see executed in this style, I can't wait to see what they have up those sleeves.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-03-2013, 01:05 AM
I plan on getting most of them - I'll have to see which ones are repeated in the Mission Series line since I don't need multiples of these. Apart from the awful crotches, they look like they could have some simple charm. Well, that and the fact that I'm one of the last completists in the galaxy. Where I can, I'll probably use some of the figures as pilots to fill seats in vehicles, maybe freeing up some previous better figures for other dioramas. As I've mentioned before, the Seeker Droid is the only never-before-made 3.75" release revealed so far for this year, so that's something in and of itself. And even it is getting a different version in the Star Tours packs, though I can't tell which parts (if any) are reused from version to version. I hope the paint is good though - Mattel's budget Batman figures looked awful in this regard (especially Bane), though the Iron Man and Spider-Man cheapos that are hitting now don't look half bad. Good head sculpts could make up for a lot in this line.

sebillba
03-03-2013, 01:08 PM
I don't intend to collect these, but I can see they'd integrate well with vintage figures. As fas as I'm concerned, my vintage collection is complete, and besides, I don't have any space left in my vintage cabinet. I am however, looking forward to getting the new Yoda - I collect Yoda figures anyway, and this one looks particularly nice, with possibly the best PT likeness/proportion we've seen. The sculpt does look a little soft, but I'm hoping that's because the prototype has thick paint splopped on it, and the finished item will reveal a sharper, more detailed sculpt.

I'm also interested in the Seeker Droid - as Mr JJL sais, it's the only brand new "character" shown so far for the new line. I'm hoping to get this from BigB, if he gets the Vader set, but if not, I think I could probably live without it.... whilst I do try to collect every movie character they make, I could rationalise that this one is so far out of scale, I don't really need it.

JediTricks
03-03-2013, 03:02 PM
I plan on getting most of them - I'll have to see which ones are repeated in the Mission Series line since I don't need multiples of these. Apart from the awful crotches, they look like they could have some simple charm. Well, that and the fact that I'm one of the last completists in the galaxy. Where I can, I'll probably use some of the figures as pilots to fill seats in vehicles, maybe freeing up some previous better figures for other dioramas. As I've mentioned before, the Seeker Droid is the only never-before-made 3.75" release revealed so far for this year, so that's something in and of itself. And even it is getting a different version in the Star Tours packs, though I can't tell which parts (if any) are reused from version to version. I hope the paint is good though - Mattel's budget Batman figures looked awful in this regard (especially Bane), though the Iron Man and Spider-Man cheapos that are hitting now don't look half bad. Good head sculpts could make up for a lot in this line.The Star Tours version of the Prowler 1000 Seeker Droid is the same body but with extra bits attached to it, and different limbs. I don't even remember the Mission Series one from ROTS but apparently it's in the film.

Which figures' crotch articulation design bothers you? I am not loving the kama-wearing figures with Kenner-style breaks in the kama, but on the Clone and Jango it doesn't look too bad IMO.

I don't intend to collect these, but I can see they'd integrate well with vintage figures. As fas as I'm concerned, my vintage collection is complete, and besides, I don't have any space left in my vintage cabinet. I am however, looking forward to getting the new Yoda - I collect Yoda figures anyway, and this one looks particularly nice, with possibly the best PT likeness/proportion we've seen. The sculpt does look a little soft, but I'm hoping that's because the prototype has thick paint splopped on it, and the finished item will reveal a sharper, more detailed sculpt.

I'm also interested in the Seeker Droid - as Mr JJL sais, it's the only brand new "character" shown so far for the new line. I'm hoping to get this from BigB, if he gets the Vader set, but if not, I think I could probably live without it.... whilst I do try to collect every movie character they make, I could rationalise that this one is so far out of scale, I don't really need it.The paint is going to make or break that Yoda figure. I'm not on board just due to the long legs and it being a Prequel version, but the upper body has a very good Ep 2/Ep 3 look to it.

El Chuxter
03-03-2013, 03:46 PM
I'd rather save the money and get the few fully-articulated figures. Even if you're going into this with good intentions of mixing them in with previous figures because the sculpts are nice, take it from me: the Joe drivers (basically the same thing--gorgeous sculpts with five points of articulation) are hell to work into your collection and have to take background spots to fill in crowds.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-03-2013, 04:13 PM
The Star Tours version of the Prowler 1000 Seeker Droid is the same body but with extra bits attached to it, and different limbs. I don't even remember the Mission Series one from ROTS but apparently it's in the film.

Which figures' crotch articulation design bothers you? I am not loving the kama-wearing figures with Kenner-style breaks in the kama, but on the Clone and Jango it doesn't look too bad IMO.
The Seeker Droid is off in the background when Obi-Wan swims up on Utapau after Order 66. There's a similar model during the birth of Vader scene, though I think it's smaller.

Yeah, I was referring to the Jedi figures. On the figures without the lower robes the articulation looks fine.

JediTricks
03-04-2013, 08:05 PM
I'd rather save the money and get the few fully-articulated figures. Even if you're going into this with good intentions of mixing them in with previous figures because the sculpts are nice, take it from me: the Joe drivers (basically the same thing--gorgeous sculpts with five points of articulation) are hell to work into your collection and have to take background spots to fill in crowds.I know, but Jango really looks good enough to get past that, and every Super Battle Droid looks worse than the previous until this.

bigbarada
03-04-2013, 09:22 PM
IEven if you're going into this with good intentions of mixing them in with previous figures because the sculpts are nice, take it from me: the Joe drivers (basically the same thing--gorgeous sculpts with five points of articulation) are hell to work into your collection and have to take background spots to fill in crowds.

Well, if I buy these figures, then they would be the ONLY Prequel figures in my collection. Currently, my count is at 0 for Prequel and Clone Wars related figures. So it's not like I would be displaying an SA Clonetrooper next to a 5-POA Clonetrooper. If I buy any of these Saga Legends Clonetroopers, then they will be the only Clonetroopers I own.

As for OT characters, I actually don't want that many ROTJ related figures, because with this current style, I don't really see how Hasbro can improve upon the actual vintage ROTJ figures. Especially since Hasbro is not nearly as competent and/or consistent with high-quality soft-goods as Kenner was.

So, my wishlist for this style would be focused primarily on ANH with a few ESB characters scattered in. I might want to see one or two ROTJ characters (like maybe a Biker Scout), but those would be the exceptions, not the rule.

mtriv73
05-23-2013, 09:19 AM
The only way I see these working for collectors would be to put them on vintage style blister cards to really play up the retro style of these figures. Even if they did that, unless it's something brand new, I'm not buying any. I started buying the new figures because they were an improvement over what I had as a kid. The R2-D2 released in '95 or '96, while awful by todays standards, was so much better than the one I got in 1978 that it sucked me right into collecting. Better sculpts (monkey face leia excepted) and eventually better articulation kept me hooked. There is absolutely no incentive for me to go backwards with collecting.

bigbarada
05-23-2013, 01:56 PM
After seeing Hasbro's hi-res shots, I'm a lot less enthused about these figures. I won't pass final judgement until I actually see them in stores, though, because Hasbro's product photographers are some of the worst I've ever seen. It's like they don't understand the most basic concepts of making their products look appealing to consumers. So, hopefully, it's just the typical ineptitude of Hasbro's product photographers and the actual figures will look better.

bigbarada
06-11-2013, 12:13 AM
After seeing Hasbro's hi-res shots, I'm a lot less enthused about these figures. I won't pass final judgement until I actually see them in stores, though, because Hasbro's product photographers are some of the worst I've ever seen. It's like they don't understand the most basic concepts of making their products look appealing to consumers. So, hopefully, it's just the typical ineptitude of Hasbro's product photographers and the actual figures will look better.

Well the latest set of hi-res shots look a lot better than those previous ones. I'm still in wait and see mode, though. I'll buy the Shocktrooper and my impressions of that figure will probably determine whether I continue to collect this line.

bigbarada
07-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Well, I finally got ahold of the new Shocktrooper today and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the figure. I was a bit worried that they would look like the super cheap Batman and Iron Man figures made in the same style, but quality-wise, they seem to be equal to, maybe even better than, most super-articulated figures. In fact, I think this figure looks significantly better than the recent TVC Shocktrooper that we got last year.

I'm really excited about the figures coming up next in this line and this might become my default toy line for the foreseeable future. The 6" line looks great, but the price might make them too difficult to justify buying in large numbers. As much as I want to collect most of the 6" figures, the realities of paying $20 per figure might make that financially irresponsible. As for the "premium" 3.75" SA figures, I haven't seen much from that line that piques my interest at all. I'll get Vizam for sure, and whatever other Skiff Guard they make, but there is really very little shown or rumored that gets me excited about collecting again. Now if they announce a new Skiff, that might be a different story.

JediTricks
07-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Glad to hear it worked out well with your first one.

I keep seeing the Jango and Vader in the Mission Series and I keep being tempted, the sculpts look quite nice and the decos seem pretty decent for the price.

Umbra
07-29-2013, 08:00 PM

I keep seeing the Jango and Vader in the Mission Series and I keep being tempted, the sculpts look quite nice and the decos seem pretty decent for the price.

I saw the Jango pack in store the other day and definitly found myself tempted. I've yet to find my ideal Jango figure, and the evolutions one + repacks always seemed to skew far to purple for my tastes. I liked the deco on this one, but I'm not sure if i can get myself to bite the bullet on these low articulation pieces.

bigbarada
07-31-2013, 06:40 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty excited for this line. I've gone through a major purge in my Star Wars collection and I'm down to about 7 action figures from the modern Star Wars line and only one vintage Kenner action figure. So if I buy all the Saga Legends/Mission Series figures that I want just from wave 1, then that new collection will be twice the size of my existing Star Wars collection before the end of August.

The other interesting thing I found out is that the price has a huge impact on what characters I'm interested in. At $5-$6 per figure, I'm going to be open to purchasing a lot of characters (even Prequel and EU characters) that I would never consider buying at $10 or more per figure.

JediTricks
07-31-2013, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty excited for this line. I've gone through a major purge in my Star Wars collection and I'm down to about 7 action figures from the modern Star Wars line and only one vintage Kenner action figure. So if I buy all the Saga Legends/Mission Series figures that I want just from wave 1, then that new collection will be twice the size of my existing Star Wars collection before the end of August.

The other interesting thing I found out is that the price has a huge impact on what characters I'm interested in. At $5-$6 per figure, I'm going to be open to purchasing a lot of characters (even Prequel and EU characters) that I would never consider buying at $10 or more per figure.That's really wild! I can't see doing that with my collection and then coming back for something like this, but they do look good.

Adam
08-02-2013, 09:41 PM
I've seen the entire wave of both the single and doubles and I just can't get into them at all. Just not for me.

JediTricks
08-03-2013, 07:08 PM
I've seen the entire wave of both the single and doubles and I just can't get into them at all. Just not for me.What turns you off about them? I can understand the obvious articulation angle, but I'm wondering if there's more.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-03-2013, 11:54 PM
I still haven't seen any Saga Legends, but I did find and purchase all four of the Mission Series two-packs (I saw them at two different TRUs).

I certainly wouldn't want this kind of figure to replace the highly detailed, super-articulated figures we've been accustomed to over the last handful of years, but there is definitely a certain charm to these figures, and some of them even trump their collector-focused counterparts in a few ways. At any rate, paying $10 for two figures feels nice after the constant price increases.

The plastic definitely feels different - the easiest point of comparison is obviously on the Battle Droids, and it feels a little cheaper, maybe, than the figures we're used to. The packaging artwork is surprisingly cool in person, IMO. This line also features a new style of packaging, with the bubble only glued to the card along the top - once you break that seal, the bubble and tray slide up with ease. (Three of my sets were glued tightly, but one set seemed a little looser.)

The Seeker Droid is pretty cool, though I would have preferred it to have had more details and parts (like the antenna). Vader doesn't look too great (I opened the Black Series figures I got at the same time, and that Vader is pretty awesome), and especially his helmet looks tiny, but as a vintage-style toy he works. He's the same height as the Evolutions body figures.

I actually quite like the Anakin figure, even with the poor-looking leg articulation. He doesn't look too bad compared to the Black Series AOTC Anakin - and they're essentially the same height, though this one is paler than the TBS version. But the likeness is far better here than on TBS Anakin.

Jango just feels like he's too "wide" to me, which is mainly due to the helmet and jetpack. It's really not too shabby though, and it's nice to get a Jango who isn't lilac. :p Unlike what early photos showed, he does include two blasters.

I also like the clones for what they are. The helmets are too small - sizewise, Hasbro should probably split the difference between these guys and the TVS/TBS ROTS trooper helmets. The eyeholes look small compared to previous versions, but I could definitely see these being successful as diorama fodder. I didn't compare to all previous versions, but the 501st Trooper is definitely lighter in color than the TVC figure. The straight arms obviously don't lend themselves to many action poses, but just standing at attention, they look good. They're a little shorter than the TVC mold.

The aforementioned Battle Droids, despite feeling like an obviously different plastic to the myriad previous releases, really aren't bad. I've seen online how people are having issues keeping them standing, and while I didn't have them set up standing for very long, I didn't have any problems - they stood as well as, if not better than, the other releases of this mold.

JediTricks
08-04-2013, 03:39 PM
The Seeker Droid with antennae, are you referring to the Star Tours version?

Based on what I've seen in stores, I agree with you on these Clones' helmet heads size and visor.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-05-2013, 11:44 AM
The Seeker Droid with antennae, are you referring to the Star Tours version?

Based on what I've seen in stores, I agree with you on these Clones' helmet heads size and visor.

I need to check the film, but I believe the ones seen in ROTS have antennae and this figure does not.

bigbarada
08-07-2013, 11:11 PM
I've been seeing more and more of these figures trickling into retail stores. Saw most of wave 1 for both Saga Legends and Mission Series. Picked up my second Shock Trooper and tempted to get the AOTC Clone as well, but the paint apps on the visor were a bit messed up. So I think I'll wait until they start showing up in greater numbers.

If these figures are going to be as plentiful in stores as most people seem to be thinking, then I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities to buy more of them.

bigbarada
08-11-2013, 11:48 AM
I got the Mission Series Darth Vader from a collector over on Rebelscum. He was just looking to give the figure away and only wanted me to pay shipping so I couldn't pass up that deal.

I actually bought the Black Series Bespin Darth Vader last week, so I've had a chance to compare the "premium" super-articulated Vader with this new 5-POA Vader.

With the Black Series Vader I was instantly disappointed that this was the same aging Vader sculpt that I bought 8 years ago for $30 (as part of the Evolutions set), except this time it doesn't have the removable helmet. One leg is shorter than the other so he tends to lean to his left and he has that same collapsed chest because of how the figure is assembled with the soft goods inner cape. Also, after 8 years, Hasbro still hasn't figured out how to make this Vader figure hold his lightsaber in his right hand. Instead we get a "flare" effect that looks like it wouldn't have even passed muster in 2002 and a spare Han Solo blaster. Speaking of outdated ideas, that stupid silver string around his neck is back. Ugh. His helmet sculpt appears to be all-new and it's nice and shiny, which was what convinced me to give this figure a chance. Unfortunately, the figure I have has a lot of plastic "flash" around the mold seams and that ends up making the overall sculpt look sloppy and cheap. The one bright spot is his lightsaber which is made from a plastic that reflects light much better than previous sabers, although it tends to look more orange than red in sunlight. Overall, this figure gets a C- from me.

The Mission Series Vader is a really cool figure! The sculpt is super simplified, but works really well for what the figure is supposed to be. I really like how his inner cape is sculpted directly onto the figure. Sure it splits because of the leg articulation, but that was a common thing in the vintage Kenner line. So I think it looks fine and makes the figure feel sturdier and more Kenner-esque. I'm pretty sure this is intended to be an Ep3 Vader figure because the helmet very much resembles the symmetrical ROTS helmet. The best thing about this figure is that he can hold his lightsaber in his right hand! The cloth cape appears to be made from the same material as all the other Vader capes that we've gotten, but for some reason it feels like it hangs differently and has more weight to it. It might just be my imagination or maybe the lack of a cloth inner cape is causing it to feel more unhindered. I can see how some collectors might consider the figure to be cheap, but I think it succeeds because Hasbro didn't try to do too much here, like they've done with the Black Series Vader. Overall, I give this figure an A-, I like it that much.

JediTricks
08-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Looking at pics out there of MS Vader, it seems the helmet is ROTS based on the shorter flare to the helmet.

The cape on MS Vader looks like it's tailored differently than other lines, the side hems are smaller, thinner.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-19-2013, 11:39 AM
I got and opened the Saga Legends figures this weekend. I'll write more detailed reviews soon, but overall, I actually really like them. Their plastic is more similar to the Black Series figures - Mission Series feel and look more "matte" while Saga Legends feel like normal figures. I would probably like Mission Series more than I do if they were in the normal plastic.

Of particular note, R4-P17 is the same scale as the TVC R2-D2, meaning it's more accurate than most other droid figures. And Yoda's headsculpt is probably my favorite PT Yoda look or at least close to it.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-19-2013, 07:42 PM
I finally saw some of the Mission Series ones (Anakin, Jango, Vader). I just don't know if I want more of the same-looking figures I have multiples of already.

OC47151
08-24-2013, 02:54 PM
I see some customizing potential with these figures. I was hoping the heads would just pop off but looks like a little boil and pop is required.

I want to get the MS Vader and probe droid for the droid. Heard it's the same droid that came with one of the Star Tour sets but painted differently.

I also heard the R2-P7 fits nicely in one of the previous Y-wing droid slots.

bigbarada
09-24-2013, 11:06 PM
I picked up my third Shock Trooper figure and the Jango Fett/Battle Droid 2-pack. This is the first Jango figure that I've bought since 2002 and the first realistic Battle Droid that I've bought since 2003 (I did pick up some CW Battle Droids back in 2008); so I haven't developed any sort of collectors fatigue from these characters yet.

Jango Fett is awesome and probably the best depiction of the character in action figure form that I've seen. It captures Temuera Morrison's stocky build perfectly and reminds me of why I thought Jango was such a cool character back in 2002. My only complaint is that his rocket-pack sits a little loosely on his back, so I'm wishing they had gone with a square shaped peg to keep it from rotating around. No biggie, though, and I'll probably just end up gluing the backpack in place.

I actually like the Battle Droid figure and I have no trouble at all getting it to stand on its own (the key is to use his gun arm to counterbalance the figure). I also prefer the red coloring of the Ep2 BDs, so I ended up with two figures that I'm really happy with from this set.

Who knew that it would be a reduced articulation, "Kenner-esque" line of toys that would get me interested in Prequel characters again and that they would soon make up nearly half of my entire Star Wars collection?

JediTricks
11-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Amazon has the Jango/Battle Droid set on half price, so I bought it. The droid is the one from the deluxe C-3PO AOTC set so it comes apart. Unfortunately, the way it's packaged has its right leg pretty warped and it won't stand at all, the feet are a quarter of an inch different in height.

As for Jango, it's an ok figure but I'm not as impressed in person as I was behind glass. The sculpt is decent but up close its fine details aren't as sharp as they initially seemed, this reminds me of some of the POTF2 figures from the first few years only minus the bulky bodies. The pose is a little wide but neutral and acceptable, I really don't like the extreme tilt of the head though, he's always stuck looking at the floor about 6 proportional feet in front of him - I think the idea is menace, but it doesn't come off quite right. The lack of waist articulation hampers it more than I expected. The visor on the helmet is sculpted very narrow and this is the thing that throws it off the most because it looks like a cartoon version of the character while squinting. Deco is pretty good on the figure, the backpack is cast in metallic blue plastic and has only dark purple paint at the nozzles and tips which comes off a bit simple. The backpack is also a little too big, between the color and size it almost seems like it's for a different toy line, but it's hardly a disaster. His blasters are almost twice as long as they should be, they're longer than his forearm, but I suppose that's so the kids don't lose them as easily or something. He has a hard time standing.

OC47151
11-30-2013, 04:31 PM
I bought the Obi-Wan for customizing. The plastic is a different texture than other SW figures, and I had to add an extra coat or two of paint.

I want to get the Vader two-pack for the seeker droid.

bigbarada
12-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Some people have been buying the 2nd wave of Saga Legends and Movie heroes from overseas sellers (the ones who many think might be selling factory rejects) and I have to say that the new Stormtrooper figure looks amazing!

Here's a link to the thread on RS:
http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1095651-7/#post19285801

If the link takes you to the start of the thread, the best in-hand photos of the figure start at post #248.

mtriv73
12-05-2013, 10:16 AM
If Hasbro would compromise and add knee and elbow articulation for another $1.50-2.50 a figure, I would be all over these. As it is, I haven't bought any and have absolutely no plans to buy any. Even my kids think they look inferior and ask for other things in the store instead.

OC47151
12-05-2013, 11:33 AM
The Maul figure that's supposed to come out next year intrigues me. It looks like it should've been released with the BS.

I've thought about trying to customize one, based on the pix. Still might but it will have to wait until after Christmas.

bigbarada
12-06-2013, 10:54 PM
I've been surprisingly impressed with this line; but I'm probably just going to buy a couple of Stormtroopers and keep my eyes out for any other OT Imperials that Hasbro decides to do (fingers crossed for a TIE Fighter Pilot). I'm not planning to buy anything from any other lines, though, so 100% of my future Star Wars purchases will be from the 5-POA line.

I thought that I would be bothered by the lack of articulation, but I realized that the only reason I wanted super-articulation in the first place was in reaction to the preposed figures that Hasbro was producing from 1995-2003. I prefer to display my figures in as neutral a pose as possible and SA was great for undoing silly action poses. However, if the figure is sculpted in a neutral stance in the first place, I find that I don't miss the articulation at all.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2014, 04:26 PM
I picked up Mission Series wave 2 at TRU yesterday.

R2 and 3PO is a pretty awesome set - they've only been sold in a two-pack twice before, but never in their classic looks (2002 Holiday and 2009 Geonosis Arena Showdown). R2 is a repaint of R4-P17, but so many of the smaller paint details were left off, so he's a little too plain. C-3PO looks pretty amazing, frankly - be sure to get one with well-painted eyes, which may be easier said than done. But they've actually painted the three lights in each eye this time, which is either extremely rare or the first time ever (I can't remember at the moment). He can't sit, and his right elbow is bent and restricts some movement. But if the paint were tighter and more complete on these two, they'd be amazing.

Han and Chewie is a fun set. Han's wrist is posed so that he holds the blaster down at a slight angle, making shooting poses even more awkward than usual. Han's hair looks more like the ROTJ pseudo-mullet than the ANH shag, and his face looks a little older than he appeared in ANH. Chewie's paint is where he falls short - his teeth are over-painted so they look huge, his eyes are pointed up (what would an eight-foot-tall Wookiee need to look up at?), and overall he's a flat, light brown with some darker accents only on the shoulders. His gray bowcaster is a new sculpt (as is Han's blaster), but it's in three pieces and the one on top has a tendency to fall off.

Maul vs. Obi is the biggest cool factor for me, as a fan of TCW. Obi-Wan is the Saga Legends figure with new paint (I didn't compare yet, but he's a redhead now) and new arms with armored forearms. The Vintage TCW Obi-Wan was his Season 13 look, while this is Season 35. I'm still not a fan of the T-crotch these Jedi have, but he looks cool and determined.

Darth Maul is the second all-new figure this line has brought us, the first being wave 1's Seeker Droid. This is Maul as he appeared after Death Watch replaced his robotic legs, through the time he got the snot kicked out of him by Sidious. The gray on his undershirt/tunic thing is too light, and his head is a darker red than his chest. As I've said before, the entire Mandalore arc screamed to be made in figure form, and while I still want a super-articulated version of this Maul (and Obi-Wan in Mandalorian armor), this is pretty slick in its own right.

OC47151
01-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Came across the Fett and Capt. Rex at TRU the other night. They looked half-decent. Fett's jetpack lacked some paint and detail, but it looked almost like the mold from the old POTF2 Fett. If you have a 90s Fett just lying around, you might be able to swap packs.

LTBasker
01-28-2014, 05:02 PM
I was considering picking up core characters like Vader, Han, Chewie, etc. since they've looked pretty good in con pictures. The production versions, though, not so much. Especially Vader who has been very disappointing every time I've seen it in person.

However, I'll definitely be picking up a handful of Stormtroopers if I can. Every picture I've seen of them have looked great, especially groups of them. Jedi Luke is a possibility, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2014, 08:22 PM
I found a Fett and Stormtrooper in TRU today; I passed on Rex, Maul/O-WK and Han/Chewie (Han looks like someone stole his stuffed bantha cub toy). First figures I've bought since 6" TBS Han, because I hardly see any new ones anywhere. :(

crazydave75
02-05-2014, 12:36 PM
im really hoping we get a cool han bespin figure in this style and maybe obiwan in clone armour

Bel-Cam Jos
02-05-2014, 07:05 PM
im really hoping we get a cool han bespin figure in this style and maybe obiwan in clone armourThe Obi-Wan/Maul 2-pack has Kenobi with the arm armor. I'd like a good Bespin Han, too.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-06-2014, 10:42 AM
The Obi-Wan/Maul 2-pack has Kenobi with the arm armor. I'd like a good Bespin Han, too.

Not to mention that there's another TCW Obi-Wan coming on a single card, with the chest, shoulder, and leg armor, as well.

I found the Saga Legends Stormtrooper last night at Target. I haven't opened him yet, but I'm assuming he was left there since the paint's a little bit sloppy. He still looks pretty awesome, though.

JediTricks
02-07-2014, 02:59 AM
But they've actually painted the three lights in each eye this time, which is either extremely rare or the first time ever (I can't remember at the moment). You are correct, the 3 lights in each eye are new to C-3PO, and an utterly odd addition for a line aimed at kids because it's SUCH a small element that it'd barely register for a lot of collectors. Still quite cool, if you can find one that doesn't look all weird.

crazydave75
02-08-2014, 02:36 AM
I do like what they've done with the stormtrooper and the clones however they should still have the cloth skirt on the likes of Rex and the snowtrooper I'm not keen on the way they're moulded on

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-10-2014, 12:52 PM
I found the rest of Saga Legends wave 2 over the weekend.

Both Cody and Rex look very simple, but cool. If they had more paint applications, they'd be great. I don't really mind Rex's skirt as it looks fairly normal from the front. I still want the realistic phase I Rex as this doesn't quite scratch that itch, but it's cool to finally have a realistic, albeit simplified, Rex.

The Stormtrooper is indeed pretty awesome – it's a great sculpt, but again, the paint could be stronger. Not that it needs more details, but it's slightly sloppy on my sample and this sculpt would look even better with tighter deco. At the same time, I don't really remember stormtroopers really ever holding their arms completely straight down at the sides, so it's a trade-off. I'd like to see this sculpt repacked with at least swivel elbows and wrists to hold the blaster properly – then I'd gladly buy way more.

Boba is pretty nice. His detailing isn't too simplified, still including the silver scuffs and dings. He's less bulky than both 2012's Battle Pack version and the Mission Series Jango figure but still requires a little maneuvering to get him into the mini Slave I.

bigbarada
02-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Found the Stormtrooper, Cody and Boba Fett at Target yesterday. I only bought the Stormtrooper and he's a pretty amazing figure that's unfortunately marred by sloppy paint apps. I had to take an X-acto knife blade to his frown to trim off the over painted areas and go back in with a fine tipped marker to even things out. It looks much, much better now.

As for the articulation and the sculpt, I think it's perfect just the way it is.

OC47151
02-14-2014, 06:15 AM
Saw the new two-packs earlier this week at Target. 3PO and R2 looked good. If someone was interested in making a small dio, those figures would be perfect.

Han and Chewie looked good, too.

Now the set I was looking forward to the most, well... I didn't buy the Obi-Wan and Maul because of the sloppy paint on Maul. Hoping to find a better one out there. But now that I saw it in person, I think I can customize a Maul. Too bad Hasbro didn't give us this Maul with POA.