PDA

View Full Version : Face Off

bigbarada
03-05-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm kind of surprised that more people aren't watching this show, especially sci-fi fans. Anyways, we're halfway through season 4 right now and I've been very impressed with some of the talent on this season. Of course, there are also those artists who you have to wonder how they even made it onto the show in the first place.

Anthony if my pick to win this season and he's probably one of my favorite artists showcased on the show so far. I like that he isn't afraid to be playful with his designs and everything doesn't have to be a scary, demonic monster.

I'm a big fan of Eric F.'s and Wayne's work as well.

Anyways, double elimination tonight. I'm excited and kind of worried at the same time.

JediTricks
03-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I think the problem is that it's a reality show and a lot of folks aren't into seeing how the sausage gets made, if you catch my drift. I enjoyed last season, although ironically I think the Star Wars episode was the weakest work they put out except for the teams that had Roy's creation (the winning entry) and Nicole's creation (I think, or maybe I'm mixing them up), the rest either felt a tad prequely or worse (one looked like a reject from the original Trek).

This season I haven't caught up on yet, I DVRed the marathon that aired yesterday but haven't watched any yet. Their designs in the preview during the season 3 finale looked very good though.

bigbarada
03-07-2013, 02:08 PM
I think the problem is that it's a reality show and a lot of folks aren't into seeing how the sausage gets made, if you catch my drift. I enjoyed last season, although ironically I think the Star Wars episode was the weakest work they put out except for the teams that had Roy's creation (the winning entry) and Nicole's creation (I think, or maybe I'm mixing them up), the rest either felt a tad prequely or worse (one looked like a reject from the original Trek).

This season I haven't caught up on yet, I DVRed the marathon that aired yesterday but haven't watched any yet. Their designs in the preview during the season 3 finale looked very good though.

I guess I can understand that. The behind the scenes stuff might take away too much of the magic for some. I could also see how CG effects have made much of this kind of work irrelevant and outdated, so it might not necessarily be as fascinating to people as it might have been 20-30 years ago. I thought maybe they could do something similar with 3D animated characters, but it would be absolutely impossible to make a fully realized CG character in only 3 days. Those characters take hundreds of people working for years to get them looking as realistic as they do.

I agree about the Star Wars challenge from last season. I actually liked Laura and Sarah's alien the best (the one with the white cloak), because it felt like something I would actually buy as an action figure. I had no issue with Roy and Rod's guy winning though, since that was a ton of work. I think I kind of cooled to the design as the season went on, though, because Rod kept repeating that same face sculpt over and over again.

However, I definitely agree that they felt more Prequely and not like they belonged in the OT at all. Too many bounty hunters and badasses. The actual Cantina scene worked because the aliens felt rough and unpleasant and just generally disturbing. A few of them were even goofy and made you want to laugh, but you probably wouldn't want to laugh in their face or they'd slit your throat. It was the seedy, dark underbelly of the Star Wars universe and the designs reflected that. So there weren't any polished characters that the designers went out of their way to make look "cool."

JediTricks
03-09-2013, 06:39 PM
I don't think a show about creating CGI characters would ever catch on because there's no drama in watching someone sit at a computer with a WACOM tablet, the art in digital arts is more in the artist's mind which is too complex a thing to show on TV.

Yeah, Rod really didn't know how to break out of that same face, that's what cut him.

I'm catching up on this season, and it's really odd to see such a large disparity of talents from one end of the contestant spectrum to the other. It's like there's so many mediocre people that they can't kick them off fast enough.

bigbarada
03-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Yeah, creating a character in a computer used to be such a wildly different process. It's a little more similar these days with 3D scanning becoming so commonplace and programs like ZBrush pretty much taking over the traditional modeling methods. It will be interesting to see what kind of impact 3D printing has on film special effects in the future.

But I agree, there's very little to base a TV show around. I don't know if you ever watched the Viral Video Showdown series on SyFy, but a lion's share of the competition for that show was centered around guys sitting in front of computers and it was incredibly boring to watch.

Rod's problem with his faces was that he didn't seem to understand the human face that well. Even when he consciously tried to change his faces, he still kept sculpting them with the same overall structure which is why they all looked so similar. It's actually not uncommon for artists since most of us learn to draw faces by using our own as a reference (even if we're not conscious of it). The best way to break out of that is to find a person who looks nothing like you and try to recreate their face. I think if Rod had just based his sculpting on one of the other contestants, that would have made all the difference, even if he didn't actually make it look like that person.

There are probably only about 5 or 6 truly talented artists this season. The rest I really don't understand how they made it onto the show in the first place. Fortunately, nobody has been eliminated so far that I didn't think deserved it.

JediTricks
03-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Rod definitely just didn't recognize that he was exaggerating his face over and over again, it's too bad because his other ideas were pretty good. He probably would have been better served by working with less appliances, sticking closer to the actor's face underneath than trying to go full mask.

I must agree, it astonishes me to see how clumsy and thoughtless some of these contestants are, and makes me wonder how they got on the show with such meager skills.

JediTricks
03-12-2013, 02:57 AM
So, I just finished the last episode via On Demand (they have the last 4 episodes in HD for free and available DVR controls and just 1 ad per break, pretty good really), completing my catch-up on season 4.

This season has really stuck to "monsters", and I think that's part of what's keeping away the audience, not enough grounded material and not enough sci-fi. Also, not enough Michael Westmore, I would love to see him spend more time with the contestants and even maybe a moment direct to camera, his name is draw in the geek community.

That elimination I think was the first instance where someone made a mistake to leave, rather than not having the skills to measure up. Meagan wasn't who I meant either, she's got some skills but isn't quite there in concept (although she is, in theory, the only one who didn't go with a sea-based design). Eric Z is who I meant, he didn't let the job sink in well enough and you could see it in the design phase while he's trying to draw, he just looked lost and never found that inspiration, instead having to fake it with something nearby. But he had skills and had his concept been better even with that mediocre execution it would have been House going home instead (and again, that would have been based on a mistake, although I noticed he made similar mistakes previously).

Anthony, if he doesn't win this whole thing, it's only going to be because of a big mistake he makes. His skills are head and shoulders above the rest, he deserved to win the glow in the dark episode from every conceivable angle - concept, sculpt, paint, and blacklight paint, and all of that seems to come down to an ability to make a plan and execute it without trying to go too big.

Eric F's concept was exactly what I was thinking it should be, and when it first hit the reveal stage I thought it was a disaster, but when the blacklight hit it, oh my god did it look amazing, the saran wrap chest did NOT hurt it there and even the doofy iridescent costume didn't fail it. His vision is impressive, and should they ever change the format to add more production time, I would love to see him return for an extra day's work per challenge. I do think he got away with murder on the giant challenge though, as big as it was the sculpting wasn't outstanding.

Autumn, it blew my mind how long it took to get rid of her, she has to be the luckiest contestant to get as far as she did, basically surviving on team challenges while other bad players kept her alive in individual challenges via worse mistakes. And that's sidestepping the attitude problem. Hers was the first elimination where the judges are not shown saying anything nice.

I was surprised to see Alam go when she did, not because her losing submission wasn't bad - it was really bad - but because generally her boldly unique ideas had carried her through better in concept and execution.

I'm a big fan of Eric F.'s and Wayne's work as well.I like Eric F's work too, but I think what's holding him back is a sense of "halloweening it" rather than creating an original character. He falls back on gimmicks and gore despite having vision and sculpting skills. He still sees it as putting smiles on faces at parades and spook houses rather than growing. It's like he's so set on being "dark" that he can't pull himself all the way out of that box, and I think once he gets past that he's got a winning talent.

Wayne has blown me away as a dark horse contestant, at first I thought his bro/jock way of carrying himself was going to hold his ideas back, that first episode where he was in the bottom because of bad paint and a weak concept seemed like a lazy guy, but he quickly rose in the ranks to show a lot of range and talent.

I think Kris is a strong contender, he doesn't have the balance of Anthony or the brass ones of Eric F, but he's got range and discipline, he seems sensible and it's kept him out of the bottom every time, the only contestant who can say that, which obviously makes him a threat.

So that's 4 strong choices for win, and poor House comes up slightly under that.

bigbarada
03-12-2013, 10:20 PM
So, I just finished the last episode via On Demand (they have the last 4 episodes in HD for free and available DVR controls and just 1 ad per break, pretty good really), completing my catch-up on season 4.

This season has really stuck to "monsters", and I think that's part of what's keeping away the audience, not enough grounded material and not enough sci-fi. Also, not enough Michael Westmore, I would love to see him spend more time with the contestants and even maybe a moment direct to camera, his name is draw in the geek community.

I do wish they would give Michael Westmore more screen time. Maybe even put him in one of the judges seats at the end of each show. Having seen the artists work in progress, I'd be very interested to hear his thoughts on their finished products during the judging.

That elimination I think was the first instance where someone made a mistake to leave, rather than not having the skills to measure up. Meagan wasn't who I meant either, she's got some skills but isn't quite there in concept (although she is, in theory, the only one who didn't go with a sea-based design). Eric Z is who I meant, he didn't let the job sink in well enough and you could see it in the design phase while he's trying to draw, he just looked lost and never found that inspiration, instead having to fake it with something nearby. But he had skills and had his concept been better even with that mediocre execution it would have been House going home instead (and again, that would have been based on a mistake, although I noticed he made similar mistakes previously).

I think Eric Z. is a talented artist, but he seems to lack experience and maybe a little bit of maturity as well. Sure Autumn is overbearing and bossy, but he should have been able to handle that conflict in a more professional manner. Kind of like Glenn said, if that had happened in a studio environment, then he would have fired both of them.

Meagan seems like more of a beauty make-up artist and it seems like she's totally lost when it comes to designing monsters.

Anthony, if he doesn't win this whole thing, it's only going to be because of a big mistake he makes. His skills are head and shoulders above the rest, he deserved to win the glow in the dark episode from every conceivable angle - concept, sculpt, paint, and blacklight paint, and all of that seems to come down to an ability to make a plan and execute it without trying to go too big.

He's definitely the best artist on the show, hands down. I even liked his ant and, sure it wasn't his best work, but I do not understand why the judges were so harsh on him during that challenge. Maybe he just set expectations so high in winning the first 4 challenges, that they are more unforgiving when he makes mistakes. I don't know if you've seen tonight's episode yet, but it's a great example of that.

Eric F's concept was exactly what I was thinking it should be, and when it first hit the reveal stage I thought it was a disaster, but when the blacklight hit it, oh my god did it look amazing, the saran wrap chest did NOT hurt it there and even the doofy iridescent costume didn't fail it. His vision is impressive, and should they ever change the format to add more production time, I would love to see him return for an extra day's work per challenge. I do think he got away with murder on the giant challenge though, as big as it was the sculpting wasn't outstanding.

Yeah, Eric and Kris' giant looked like something you'd see walking down the street during a kid's parade, NOT something that could actually work in a major motion picture. It would be awesome if the artists had more time, but I guess they are being judged by their performance under extreme pressure as well.

Autumn, it blew my mind how long it took to get rid of her, she has to be the luckiest contestant to get as far as she did, basically surviving on team challenges while other bad players kept her alive in individual challenges via worse mistakes. And that's sidestepping the attitude problem. Hers was the first elimination where the judges are not shown saying anything nice.

Autumn was the first contestant on this show that's I've actually been glad to see kicked off. She should have been booted for that giant Gummi Bear. That thing was horrible. Plus, her attitude has been bad from the very beginning. She definitely overestimated her own talent level.

I was surprised to see Alam go when she did, not because her losing submission wasn't bad - it was really bad - but because generally her boldly unique ideas had carried her through better in concept and execution.

It was sad to see Alam go, but I understand why it happened. I think I liked her personality more than her designs. I'm actually surprised she didn't get sent home on that superhero challenge.

I like Eric F's work too, but I think what's holding him back is a sense of "halloweening it" rather than creating an original character. He falls back on gimmicks and gore despite having vision and sculpting skills. He still sees it as putting smiles on faces at parades and spook houses rather than growing. It's like he's so set on being "dark" that he can't pull himself all the way out of that box, and I think once he gets past that he's got a winning talent.

I think that's a pretty good assessment. He's so intent on being dark that it kind of makes his ideas feel predictable. And sometimes his "go big or go home" attitude can backfire big time, as was evidenced by his and Anthony's werewolf (which was seriously just such a horrible concept). I think he's going to try to go big on one of the next challenges and, as a result, his make-up won't have the polish that the other guys' will and that's going to come back to bite him and he'll end up going home.

Did you see tonight's episode. The challenge was clearly right up his alley and his make-up ended up looking like something off of an Iron Maiden cover.

Wayne has blown me away as a dark horse contestant, at first I thought his bro/jock way of carrying himself was going to hold his ideas back, that first episode where he was in the bottom because of bad paint and a weak concept seemed like a lazy guy, but he quickly rose in the ranks to show a lot of range and talent.

Wayne definitely has some of the best sculpting skills I've seen. And I think his interest in fitness gives him a better understanding of anatomy, which is not uncommon (comic book illustrator Joe Jusko is also a bodybuilder, so he uses himself as a reference in many of his paintings).

I think Kris is a strong contender, he doesn't have the balance of Anthony or the brass ones of Eric F, but he's got range and discipline, he seems sensible and it's kept him out of the bottom every time, the only contestant who can say that, which obviously makes him a threat.

I have to admit that he's a talented artist, but I haven't personally been a fan of anything he's done so far. His sculpted faces always feel unappealing to me.

So that's 4 strong choices for win, and poor House comes up slightly under that.

House has some amazing concepts (I loved his candy creature), and some not so amazing concepts; but I think his final products end up being too unpolished and rough for him to make it to the final three.

JediTricks
03-13-2013, 03:38 AM
Meagan seems like more of a beauty make-up artist and it seems like she's totally lost when it comes to designing monsters. True, but this show is way too dependent on monster makeup, leaving it very niche, so outside skills are good too. If she was better at concept, it's have still paid off.

He's definitely the best artist on the show, hands down. I even liked his ant and, sure it wasn't his best work, but I do not understand why the judges were so harsh on him during that challenge. Maybe he just set expectations so high in winning the first 4 challenges, that they are more unforgiving when he makes mistakes. I don't know if you've seen tonight's episode yet, but it's a great example of that. I thought the same thing about the ant! They came down on him like a ton of bricks and it seemed like the criticism was "too much like an ant makeup". I just finished tonight's episode and definitely see what you mean. The fact that the choose Wayne's awful gator man as a top look and not this was astonishing, basically the same mistakes AND WORSE, yet Anthony is a bottom look and Wayne is a top.

Yeah, Eric and Kris' giant looked like something you'd see walking down the street during a kid's parade, NOT something that could actually work in a major motion picture. It would be awesome if the artists had more time, but I guess they are being judged by their performance under extreme pressure as well. That giant really was parade material, I didn't think it was a bottom look but to win? That was nuts.

More pressure? Maybe give them more than 8 hours on days 1 and 2. This is a competition based on artistic merit and execution, it shouldn't be office hours.

Autumn was the first contestant on this show that's I've actually been glad to see kicked off. She should have been booted for that giant Gummi Bear. That thing was horrible. Plus, her attitude has been bad from the very beginning. She definitely overestimated her own talent level.Ugh, that gummy cat with the stupid afro wig, and absolutely nothing about the concept came through, and the extremities didn't fit or blend. I honestly think they put her in intending to fail, a reverse ringer who played the reality competition game well enough to stick halfway through.

It was sad to see Alam go, but I understand why it happened. I think I liked her personality more than her designs. I'm actually surprised she didn't get sent home on that superhero challenge. Compared to the other entries in the superhero one, I think she deserved the save: http://www.fearnet.com/news/review/tv-recap-face-episode-402-heroic-proportions Her character, with all its flaws, reminds me of a silver age or bronze age DC character brought to life.

I think that's a pretty good assessment. He's so intent on being dark that it kind of makes his ideas feel predictable. And sometimes his "go big or go home" attitude can backfire big time, as was evidenced by his and Anthony's werewolf (which was seriously just such a horrible concept). I think he's going to try to go big on one of the next challenges and, as a result, his make-up won't have the polish that the other guys' will and that's going to come back to bite him and he'll end up going home.

Did you see tonight's episode. The challenge was clearly right up his alley and his make-up ended up looking like something off of an Iron Maiden cover. His sculpting never looks rough the way House's does, even when he comes up short in other areas, and I'm sure that's what keeps him in it. You are not remotely kidding about that bring Eddie from Iron Maiden, they were too generous with the claim that he nailed the Evil Dead aspect, that was b.s., he made a cartoon character.

Wayne definitely has some of the best sculpting skills I've seen. And I think his interest in fitness gives him a better understanding of anatomy, which is not uncommon (comic book illustrator Joe Jusko is also a bodybuilder, so he uses himself as a reference in many of his paintings). His bio says he's a football guy, I wouldn't think that alone would give him anatomy inspiration. His work tonight was a joke, the gator head was ok at best, the paint sucked, and the body was terrible. He has a lot of range, his crab inspired guy last week was genius, great observation of alien anatomy, not just human.

I have to admit that he's a talented artist, but I haven't personally been a fan of anything he's done so far. His sculpted faces always feel unappealing to me. I liked his butterfly girl and his fish creature, but I can see on both how they aren't for everyone. His winning candy guy had a face right out of Star Trek TNG/DS9, and I don't mean that as a compliment, but I loved the chest design.

House has some amazing concepts (I loved his candy creature), and some not so amazing concepts; but I think his final products end up being too unpolished and rough for him to make it to the final three. It seemed like his work got worse as the show progressed, sculpts getting rougher and rougher. I didn't dislike tonight's work as much as the judges did, but I did see their point on the headdress.

bigbarada
03-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Maybe give them more than 8 hours on days 1 and 2. This is a competition based on artistic merit and execution, it shouldn't be office hours.

I agree. In a real studio environment, if they were only given three days to create a complete character, then they'd have people pulling all-nighters to get the work done. However, I guess the editors still need time to get the individual recaps of the day filmed and the artists have to refine those concept sketches.

Ugh, that gummy cat with the stupid afro wig, and absolutely nothing about the concept came through, and the extremities didn't fit or blend. I honestly think they put her in intending to fail, a reverse ringer who played the reality competition game well enough to stick halfway through.

I can kind of see them picking her because they thought she'd create good drama, but she definitely didn't give them a shortage of material to make her look bad.

Compared to the other entries in the superhero one, I think she deserved the save: http://www.fearnet.com/news/review/tv-recap-face-episode-402-heroic-proportions Her character, with all its flaws, reminds me of a silver age or bronze age DC character brought to life.

In that photo, it looks way better than I remember it. The head design definitely feels like something straight out of a comic book, which is probably what kept her safe in that challenge.

His sculpting never looks rough the way House's does, even when he comes up short in other areas, and I'm sure that's what keeps him in it. You are not remotely kidding about that bring Eddie from Iron Maiden, they were too generous with the claim that he nailed the Evil Dead aspect, that was b.s., he made a cartoon character.

I think he got his final warning from Glenn in last night's episode, who very specifically said that he wanted to see something less cartoony and more realistic on the next challenge. If Eric F. can't make that happen, then he will probably be the one going home next.

His bio says he's a football guy, I wouldn't think that alone would give him anatomy inspiration. His work tonight was a joke, the gator head was ok at best, the paint sucked, and the body was terrible. He has a lot of range, his crab inspired guy last week was genius, great observation of alien anatomy, not just human.

I was thinking of the "Wayne's Gym" bonus scene on the SyFy website:
http://www.syfy.com/videos/Face%20Off/Bonus%20Scenes/Season%204/vid:2626634

Usually guys who are that dedicated to weightlifting, are going to have a better understanding of the different muscle groups and how they interact with each other.

On a side note, when I watch that video, House and Eric Z. are kind of giving off the vibe of the nerds who are just totally enamored with the fact that the jock is actually paying attention to them. Maybe not so much with House, but definitely with Eric Z.

However, I think Eric F. really seemed to have the whole "boy crush" thing going:
http://www.syfy.com/videos/Face%20Off/Bonus%20Scenes/Season%204/vid:2620948
:D

I liked his butterfly girl and his fish creature, but I can see on both how they aren't for everyone. His winning candy guy had a face right out of Star Trek TNG/DS9, and I don't mean that as a compliment, but I loved the chest design.

He's definitely a talented guy. It's just something about his overall aesthetic that doesn't "speak to me" for whatever reason.

It seemed like his work got worse as the show progressed, sculpts getting rougher and rougher. I didn't dislike tonight's work as much as the judges did, but I did see their point on the headdress.

I actually predicted that House would be the next to go, but I didn't submit my post in time before the show ended.

I think all the make-ups were good overall, House's just happened to be less good. With the level of talent that the final four have, it's going to be the guy who merely makes a good make-up, not a great make-up, that ends up being eliminated.

It's harder to predict who will be the next to go home; but I'm predicting Eric F. because he might have a problem breaking out of his natural style. However, if Wayne botches another paint job, then it could be him. I would be very angry if Anthony got sent home at this point.

JediTricks
03-14-2013, 05:11 PM
I agree. In a real studio environment, if they were only given three days to create a complete character, then they'd have people pulling all-nighters to get the work done. However, I guess the editors still need time to get the individual recaps of the day filmed and the artists have to refine those concept sketches.I forgot about the interview recaps, that's a really good point. Do they have the artists refine the sketches? Some of the over-the-shoulder stuff matched the on-screen samples later, so I was thinking not.

In that photo, it looks way better than I remember it. The head design definitely feels like something straight out of a comic book, which is probably what kept her safe in that challenge. Video cameras aren't the best sources for these things, they move around and they don't lock down the way the judges see them and they work with light differently than what you see in-studio. On that superhero she came up with, the editors chose shots that really didn't highlight what was working because the drama was what had failed so spectacularly, but I actually liked it early on. I'd love to see her get mentored into balancing her skills and keeping her concepts more grounded, then returning. That'd make a good series (I dunno about the redemption web series, I haven't been watching).

I think he got his final warning from Glenn in last night's episode, who very specifically said that he wanted to see something less cartoony and more realistic on the next challenge. If Eric F. can't make that happen, then he will probably be the one going home next.Good point. I wonder what the judges' scorecards for these look like, the judging doesn't get enough time to explain itself fully I think, the show spends a lot of time with the judges but portrays their decisions as learned people giving gut feelings with a few pointers, like just "trust us, we know what we're saying", and I'm sure there's a lot more to it.

I was thinking of the "Wayne's Gym" bonus scene on the SyFy website:
http://www.syfy.com/videos/Face%20Off/Bonus%20Scenes/Season%204/vid:2626634

Usually guys who are that dedicated to weightlifting, are going to have a better understanding of the different muscle groups and how they interact with each other.

On a side note, when I watch that video, House and Eric Z. are kind of giving off the vibe of the nerds who are just totally enamored with the fact that the jock is actually paying attention to them. Maybe not so much with House, but definitely with Eric Z.

However, I think Eric F. really seemed to have the whole "boy crush" thing going:
http://www.syfy.com/videos/Face%20Off/Bonus%20Scenes/Season%204/vid:2620948
:DI haven't been watching the online content. Wayne's bigger than I expected when pumped, maybe you're right.

House clearly has some definition to him, he works out, but he's a cardio guy, not going for mass, so I think he's intimidated. Eric Z is definitely on track with what you're saying.

Eric F I think gets into whatever he likes in a big way, I've had friends like him before and that's kind of their thing. That "bromance" video was almost mean in how cheap the shot they took was. :p

He's definitely a talented guy. It's just something about his overall aesthetic that doesn't "speak to me" for whatever reason.Sure, I get ya. One of the challenges about a competition show where the goals are subjective is in there.

I actually predicted that House would be the next to go, but I didn't submit my post in time before the show ended.

I think all the make-ups were good overall, House's just happened to be less good. With the level of talent that the final four have, it's going to be the guy who merely makes a good make-up, not a great make-up, that ends up being eliminated.

It's harder to predict who will be the next to go home; but I'm predicting Eric F. because he might have a problem breaking out of his natural style. However, if Wayne botches another paint job, then it could be him. I would be very angry if Anthony got sent home at this point.What did you think of Wayne's gator god, not just paint but the sculpting choices?

I think the metric for who is the final person sent home before the finale will be the one who misses under pressure in the concept zone. All their executions have been strong in the clutch. I suspect Eric F is going home for the same reason, he won't be able to hit the needs of the challenge because he'll be aiming too high.

bigbarada
03-14-2013, 11:22 PM
I forgot about the interview recaps, that's a really good point. Do they have the artists refine the sketches? Some of the over-the-shoulder stuff matched the on-screen samples later, so I was thinking not.

Video cameras aren't the best sources for these things, they move around and they don't lock down the way the judges see them and they work with light differently than what you see in-studio. On that superhero she came up with, the editors chose shots that really didn't highlight what was working because the drama was what had failed so spectacularly, but I actually liked it early on. I'd love to see her get mentored into balancing her skills and keeping her concepts more grounded, then returning. That'd make a good series (I dunno about the redemption web series, I haven't been watching).

Good point. I wonder what the judges' scorecards for these look like, the judging doesn't get enough time to explain itself fully I think, the show spends a lot of time with the judges but portrays their decisions as learned people giving gut feelings with a few pointers, like just "trust us, we know what we're saying", and I'm sure there's a lot more to it.

I haven't been watching the online content. Wayne's bigger than I expected when pumped, maybe you're right.

House clearly has some definition to him, he works out, but he's a cardio guy, not going for mass, so I think he's intimidated. Eric Z is definitely on track with what you're saying.

Eric F I think gets into whatever he likes in a big way, I've had friends like him before and that's kind of their thing. That "bromance" video was almost mean in how cheap the shot they took was. :p

Sure, I get ya. One of the challenges about a competition show where the goals are subjective is in there.

What did you think of Wayne's gator god, not just paint but the sculpting choices?

I think the metric for who is the final person sent home before the finale will be the one who misses under pressure in the concept zone. All their executions have been strong in the clutch. I suspect Eric F is going home for the same reason, he won't be able to hit the needs of the challenge because he'll be aiming too high.

I really have no idea who does those concept sketches, but they seem to update whenever the artist makes a last minute change to their concept. Maybe they hire artists to sketch them out after the show is filmed and is in editing, because sometimes the concept sketch doesn't match what seems to be the artist's style.

I think the "dramatic editing" really makes it hard to see what the make-ups look like sometimes. They keep cutting away and panning the camera, when you really just want to get a good long look at the thing.

I actually liked Wayne's gator god, but most of those Egyptian gods have gigantic animal heads that are completely disproportionate to their bodies and aren't blended in at all. I think his gator would work better in a PG-rated kids film, though, and isn't something that would necessarily read as scary. However, I'm completely surprised that the judges loved it so much. Especially when they complained that the head on his original gator character (from the first episode) had a head that was too big and the head on that character wasn't nearly as gigantic as this recent one. Maybe they knew that it was intentional this time around.

I definitely don't understand why the judges loved that make-up and basically ripped Anthony a new one over his make-up, however.

JediTricks
03-17-2013, 02:55 PM
I really have no idea who does those concept sketches, but they seem to update whenever the artist makes a last minute change to their concept. Maybe they hire artists to sketch them out after the show is filmed and is in editing, because sometimes the concept sketch doesn't match what seems to be the artist's style.

I think the "dramatic editing" really makes it hard to see what the make-ups look like sometimes. They keep cutting away and panning the camera, when you really just want to get a good long look at the thing.

I actually liked Wayne's gator god, but most of those Egyptian gods have gigantic animal heads that are completely disproportionate to their bodies and aren't blended in at all. I think his gator would work better in a PG-rated kids film, though, and isn't something that would necessarily read as scary. However, I'm completely surprised that the judges loved it so much. Especially when they complained that the head on his original gator character (from the first episode) had a head that was too big and the head on that character wasn't nearly as gigantic as this recent one. Maybe they knew that it was intentional this time around.

I definitely don't understand why the judges loved that make-up and basically ripped Anthony a new one over his make-up, however.Based on the styles, I think they have the competitors update their sketches to get them show-ready. Why pay someone else when you can force people who are competing for it do the work? :p I wonder why there hasn't been a behind-the-scenes episode of FaceOff yet.

I am surprised to hear you liked the gator god look. To me, the mask had good sculpting but weak paint, and it fit in a very rubbery way. But the body was really where I think it didn't shine, it just looked generic, no thought to the physique of the dessicated character. I actually heard Ve Neil say "oh!" in a glowing way when he said the head was meant to be a different design from the body, like if she needed him to say it then it wasn't tracking to begin with. If ever you find yourself on the show, just say all your big mistakes are choices. :p (I know his was on purpose, but in my mind it was still a bad execution so it's a mistake.)

bigbarada
03-19-2013, 10:12 PM
I'll always like the more cartoonish designs and I think that's why Wayne's gator god appealed to me so much.

Anyways, tonight's episode went pretty much how I expected. Eric F. got pushed out of his comfort zone and it cost him. I did think he had a good make-up, though.

Wayne struggled with the paint apps on his make-up and that nearly cost him. His sculpting was amazing as usual, however. I think if Eric F. had gotten to choose first when they were picking their alien species, then Wayne might have been the one going home.

I liked Anthony's character a lot, I probably wouldn't have even bothered to watch the finale if they had torn Anthony's work apart again and booted him off the show.

Kris' make-up was probably the first thing he's done that I've actually liked. I don't know what the deal was with those bright green teeth, though.

That Defiance show looks promising. However, I've decided to cancel my cable after this month, because my two favorite shows (FaceOff and Walking Dead) are wrapping up their seasons this month and it's just not worth the cost to have cable right now. (it was cheaper when I kept up with Walking Dead just by buying the episodes off of iTunes.)

JediTricks
03-21-2013, 05:14 PM
I'll always like the more cartoonish designs and I think that's why Wayne's gator god appealed to me so much.

Anyways, tonight's episode went pretty much how I expected. Eric F. got pushed out of his comfort zone and it cost him. I did think he had a good make-up, though.

Wayne struggled with the paint apps on his make-up and that nearly cost him. His sculpting was amazing as usual, however. I think if Eric F. had gotten to choose first when they were picking their alien species, then Wayne might have been the one going home.

I liked Anthony's character a lot, I probably wouldn't have even bothered to watch the finale if they had torn Anthony's work apart again and booted him off the show.

Kris' make-up was probably the first thing he's done that I've actually liked. I don't know what the deal was with those bright green teeth, though.

That Defiance show looks promising. However, I've decided to cancel my cable after this month, because my two favorite shows (FaceOff and Walking Dead) are wrapping up their seasons this month and it's just not worth the cost to have cable right now. (it was cheaper when I kept up with Walking Dead just by buying the episodes off of iTunes.)I had a lot of problems with this episode. The core judges didn't even know the material well enough to pick up that Eric's facial sculpt had accuracy to the character it was using, they had to go to the show's producer for that. How can you complain that the makeup isn't accurately blending something when you don't know the source well enough to judge that?

I also didn't like any of the work presented, although the winning makeup was the only one I felt was TV-ready and of course it was Anthony's. I think part of the problem is the source material didn't look particularly well thought out, it just looked like standard TV alien ideas and not particularly inspiring ones. Another part of it though was that they all went with muscle bodies and baked-in expressions and simple colorschemes that repeated what the others were doing. I just checked the Fearnet recap and sure enough, I still dislike every entry: http://www.fearnet.com/news/review/tv-recap-face-episode-410-alien-apocalypse

I think Eric really got tossed simply because he chose to sculpt the mechanical bits into the suit and they detracted from rather than added to the character, but that wig he put on as a beard really was over the top and he should have covered that seam with makeup work instead of hair.

Ha, those green teeth sure did stand out. I guess Kris felt the logic of the glowing eyes was some sort of goop, and his mutant bioman spread the goop into the mouth - kind of silly but it was something different and eyecatching, took my eyes off the rubbery overall mess and horrible choices he made on the shoulders (the intent was to make them asymmetrical but instead he just made one trapezius rounded and the other straight, that was so bad).

Face Off is renewed and will have a summer series, but that alone isn't enough to pay so much for cable, we get it here with our HOA fees but when I was paying full price it was insane how expensive it had gotten. Annoyingly, the Siffy website doesn't have all the episodes as full episodes, but they do have 10 minute rewinds.

bigbarada
03-21-2013, 06:26 PM
I liked that lady's comment about Eric possibly being on a no-fly list. :D I hadn't thought about that when they mentioned the "family obligations." Maybe he's just not allowed in the country of Canada? My brother's not allowed into Canada anymore and he works for the US government.

Anyways, I agree, the make-ups felt a little trite and uninspired; but that was because they were attempting to combine trite and uninspired TV alien designs. Anthony definitely had the best overall design and I'm sure that it would do great as a background alien on the show.

I can follow Walking Dead and Face Off on iTunes for $2 an episode and I'd actually own the episodes to watch as many times as I want. So that totals about $16 a month when both of those shows are running. That's much cheaper than the $76 a month that I'm paying for cable and internet. I think it would cost me $40 a month just for internet, so that would total $56 a month.

Of course, if I was following 5, 6, or 7 different shows, then I think buying cable would be the cheapest option. But I could follow a third series off of iTunes (probably Comic Book Men) and still be saving money. So it seems to be the best option. The only station I would really miss is TCM.

Looking forward to the finale next week and so far no word on if they are going to be allowing the audience to vote for the winner this time. I'm hoping they don't, because I felt that last season just turned into more of a popularity contest and not necessarily a contest of talent and skill. I think Wayne is the underdog of the three finalists, but only because he has come up short multiple times for the exact same reason: time management. I think the finals are always group challenges, so if he gets first pick of a partner, then he needs somebody like Eric F. who can get a massive amount of work done in a short period of time. Either way, I'm rooting for Anthony.

JediTricks
03-21-2013, 08:44 PM
I liked that lady's comment about Eric possibly being on a no-fly list. :D I hadn't thought about that when they mentioned the "family obligations." Maybe he's just not allowed in the country of Canada? My brother's not allowed into Canada anymore and he works for the US government.

Anyways, I agree, the make-ups felt a little trite and uninspired; but that was because they were attempting to combine trite and uninspired TV alien designs. Anthony definitely had the best overall design and I'm sure that it would do great as a background alien on the show.

I can follow Walking Dead and Face Off on iTunes for $2 an episode and I'd actually own the episodes to watch as many times as I want. So that totals about $16 a month when both of those shows are running. That's much cheaper than the $76 a month that I'm paying for cable and internet. I think it would cost me $40 a month just for internet, so that would total $56 a month.

Of course, if I was following 5, 6, or 7 different shows, then I think buying cable would be the cheapest option. But I could follow a third series off of iTunes (probably Comic Book Men) and still be saving money. So it seems to be the best option. The only station I would really miss is TCM.

Looking forward to the finale next week and so far no word on if they are going to be allowing the audience to vote for the winner this time. I'm hoping they don't, because I felt that last season just turned into more of a popularity contest and not necessarily a contest of talent and skill. I think Wayne is the underdog of the three finalists, but only because he has come up short multiple times for the exact same reason: time management. I think the finals are always group challenges, so if he gets first pick of a partner, then he needs somebody like Eric F. who can get a massive amount of work done in a short period of time. Either way, I'm rooting for Anthony.$56 vs $76 I guess makes sense if you don't watch any other TV at all, but find out if losing your package deal might increase your internet more than you think, some cable companies tack on extra fees they're legally allowed to include, like "federal subscriber fees" which are just "the federal government lets us gouge you with this arbitrary fee we keep to make up for your neighbors not subscribing to us and we get to make it sound like a tax", which they leave off some packages.

Ha! I can see Eric Fox getting on a no-fly list or banned from Canada. That's weird about your brother though.

I totally agree about not letting the audience pick the winner this time, they really need to win based on their skills alone by qualified judging. I'm not rooting for Anthony, he's so good that I feel like there's no question and there really hasn't been since episode 3. :p

bigbarada
03-26-2013, 10:54 PM
I'm starting to reconsider dropping my cable. Because I remembered how much extra money I was spending each month on movie rentals or just buying Blu-Rays or XBox games before I had cable. I was buying probably 2-3 Blu-Rays each week and renting 2 movies every 3 days before cable. Now that I have all these channels to choose from, I've only bought 2 Blu-Rays (The Avengers and The Hobbit) and I haven't rented a single movie since September. So, I think keeping cable would balance everything out and be cheaper in the long run. Plus, it's been a great way to keep my creative juices flowing.

Anyways. I really enjoyed the finale tonight and, of course, I'm glad that Anthony won. I thought he did the best work on both characters. Wayne and Kris made really awesome male characters, but their female characters didn't really look as cool. Although I did love the sculpting on the back of Wayne's female character. Anthony's female character looked great, especially considering that he had to completely resculpt her face at the last minute.

I did feel a little bad that Anthony got stuck with Autumn, but she seemed to be a lot more humble this time around. Probably because she wasn't competing for herself this time. It was kind of weird that they didn't bring ALL of the previous contestants back to allow the finalists to choose from everyone; but they probably knew that nobody would want to pick Troy or Michael or Jenna, etc.

I think Wayne might be the first contestant to make it to the finale without actually winning a single challenge the entire season.

JediTricks
04-01-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm starting to reconsider dropping my cable. Because I remembered how much extra money I was spending each month on movie rentals or just buying Blu-Rays or XBox games before I had cable. I was buying probably 2-3 Blu-Rays each week and renting 2 movies every 3 days before cable. Now that I have all these channels to choose from, I've only bought 2 Blu-Rays (The Avengers and The Hobbit) and I haven't rented a single movie since September. So, I think keeping cable would balance everything out and be cheaper in the long run. Plus, it's been a great way to keep my creative juices flowing.

Anyways. I really enjoyed the finale tonight and, of course, I'm glad that Anthony won. I thought he did the best work on both characters. Wayne and Kris made really awesome male characters, but their female characters didn't really look as cool. Although I did love the sculpting on the back of Wayne's female character. Anthony's female character looked great, especially considering that he had to completely resculpt her face at the last minute.

I did feel a little bad that Anthony got stuck with Autumn, but she seemed to be a lot more humble this time around. Probably because she wasn't competing for herself this time. It was kind of weird that they didn't bring ALL of the previous contestants back to allow the finalists to choose from everyone; but they probably knew that nobody would want to pick Troy or Michael or Jenna, etc.

I think Wayne might be the first contestant to make it to the finale without actually winning a single challenge the entire season.Interesting point about purchases and rentals, that's a big difference obviously. There's a ton of content on cable, FINDING it is the hardest part, I didn't even know I had some of the channels I have because they're not HD and I never explored.

I liked the finale and wasn't surprised that Anthony won, he definitely was the best of the bunch most of the way through even here where he was surrounded by talents that could have taken it on their own had the other 2 not been there. Anthony's characters were excellent, although I did wonder how much of their detail was going to show to a far-away audience, they seemed like smaller, more intimate makeups (oh, and also they were ACTUAL makeups rather than reliant on just appliances), but it obviously translated. I forgot he had to resculpt at the last minute, but yeah, he really knocked that out of the park.

Autumn did seem like a real drag, I thought it odd that Anthony had both her and Eric Z, that should have been a very odd dynamic but it seemed to work out, maybe Anthony's also a good team leader. I think they only brought back the top 9 because the bottom of the barrel contestants would have dragged the work down.

Good point about Wayne not winning anything yet still going all the way, I think having Kris and Anthony and House and Eric & Eric there made Wayne's solid work come in strong second place a lot and the judges recognized that fact.

Totally right about the Kris and Wayne makeups not having good female characters, I really hated Wayne's makeup on the female's face and how baked-in its expression was which was odd because his male had great expressiveness. Both Wayne and Kris' female makeup was also surprisingly roughly-sculpted in the face, that was weird.

Loved Kris' male character, the silver guy might have been a touch rubbery but that sculpt and paint looked amazing and it had a fantastic back sculpt which really showed thought for a 360-degree audience layout, if this hadn't been a duo competition I wouldn't have been surprised to see him win on that piece.

Wayne's male character was another thing where the paint was only half finished and hurt a good sculpt.

bigbarada
08-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Season 5 premiere was tonight: vets vs. rookies. It's cool to see Roy, Laura and Alana back; but I'm actually more surprised that Roy and Laura are even still available to compete again since I would have imagined that they'd be busy working on major motion pictures with the level of talent that they showed in season 3. I guess the special effects industry is much more difficult to break into than I originally thought.

Anyways, I thought it was kind of a weird choice to have two 8-person teams making 5 characters each. Especially since you ended up with 3 people working on one creature, two people on another and a few artists making a complete character on their own. Seems like it would have been easier to just have them work on 4 different fantasy archetypes in teams of two. Either way, I thought most of the veterans did a great job (except for that ogre); but that's really to be expected.

None of the newcomers really stood out for me except possibly Laney. She has a playful, almost childlike, aesthetic that I found really cool. It will be interesting to see what she does next.