PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy Extra?

icatch9
03-11-2002, 12:02 PM
So do you buy extra? I know many people hate scalpers and the likes, but do you buy extras? I feel that scalpers have made me into a hoarder. I buy the ones for my collection, but then if I am there and there a several new figures I buy them too. Not to rip off some poor guy, but to cover my butt from having to pay a scalper. See if I buy extras then I will have the trading power to get one that I canít find because of a scalper. See if I trade then itís just like paying retail for it. So you see I am not a scalper but just like Batman and Joker ("You made me, I made you.") I have been turned into something else because of the scalpers. Donít worry I have seen about 15 off all of the new figures (Zutton & FX-7 waves) and have left them on the shelf. I just got mine and left.

Lman316
03-11-2002, 12:22 PM
I used to buy extras. Mostly incase I wanted one to open and one to keep in the package.
But now I'm lucky to even see one of the new stuff, but depending on the character, I'll only buy one.
There are army builders that I buy multiples of though. Like the new Rebel Fleet trooper (got one online, found two out of town), and the CommTech Stormtrooper. But other than that, I don't buy multiples anymore.

Jayspawn
03-11-2002, 01:21 PM
I usually get one to open and one to keep in the box. If they are army builder figures like Imperial Officers ot Stormtoppers, I'll casually pick up extras.

Lord Malakite
03-11-2002, 01:28 PM
I do it sometimes. I have a couple of brothers who also like to collect figures. If I find something that they need I buy it and they do the same for me.

JEDIpartner
03-11-2002, 03:05 PM
I usually only buy one of each figure... except I have a few battle droids, droidekas and Stormtroopers. I have a couple carded "hard to find" ones that I bought two of... just in case I needed some extra money down the line. I'm not really counting on it, but hey- it doesn't hurt.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-11-2002, 04:30 PM
It sounds like most people, including myself, buy at least two. I'm not a fan of the POTJ line's quality so I've been buying one unless something is really kickin or I find it on clearance. I like buying one extra to trade in case I can't find something else.

LTBasker
03-11-2002, 05:55 PM
I buy 2 of each right now, except on army builders, I usually buy as many as I can, right now I've been considering that after the AOTC hype dies down, maybe going back through all the figures trying to get what I still need and maybe an extra 1 of each for permanet display, on exclusives I usually like to get an extra to put away so if one of them get's damaged I'll still have a mint package one (hopefully) for my collection, something I'm really gonna have to pace out but right now it's just down to 2 of each, one to open and one to keep carded.

Having one to open and one to keep carded I think of it as sorta getting the best of both worlds at once. :cool:

humsup
03-11-2002, 08:56 PM
Like most of the collectors here, I too buy a couple - for those figs that I like - one to open, and one to be left in its original packaging. Recently, I found some POTJs on clearence and I just picked up 4 Rebel Fleet Troopers at one go :)

OC47150
03-12-2002, 07:41 AM
Like everyone else, I try to get two -- one to save and one to display. If it's an army builder, I normally get a few more but it depends on its availability. The DS Trooper, new sandtrooper, Imperial officer and new Rebel fleet trooper have been elusive to me.

I was fortunate enough to find Rebel Endor commandos, Ugnaughts and commtech stormies on clearance.

Rollo Tomassi
03-12-2002, 08:21 AM
Well, lately I've been buying full cases online. Saves me the hunting costs like time and gas, and I send a full set to a friend of mine. At $7 a figure, though, it's hard to justify buying more than one. Except army builders. You can never get too many of those.

evenflow
03-12-2002, 08:47 AM
I usually only buy one of each figure, unless i want to open them. Then i will buy two.

Darkross
03-12-2002, 10:42 AM
I only buy one of each figure right now...since I am on a strict budget...except Army Builders. I don't collect everything...just most of the classic trilogy figures. I recently bought another Lando Bespin Escape and two R2Q5's. Droids are another type of figure I like to get more than one of. I don't have the luxury of buying two of each figure (1 to open and 1 to keep). I currently open everything....and keep them all in prestine order. I only have one item that has never been opened and that's the Tie Interceptor. I bought two of them and only had room for one to display. Same will be true about the Tie Bombers and Snowspeeders when they come out.

pthfnder89
03-12-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Darkross
I only buy one of each figure right now...since I am on a strict budget...except Army Builders. I don't collect everything...

I'm the same way now. I used to collect at least two of EVERY figure. No matter what, I had to have one to open and one carded.

But then the prices kept going up and I moved out, so I'm on a pretty strict budget too. I don't even buy one of each figure anymore, just the ones I really like, like the Jedi or stormtroopers.
And I never buy more than one of the scene filler aliens either, because I always used to open the second one, play with him for 2 minutes, and then stuff him in a box and never see him again.

Just can't afford to do that:(

On the plus side, I got about 30-35 CTC Stormies for $1.50 apiece at TRU, so I have a big army. I want to do the same with the clones, because I love army building, but it depends on what the final price is and if they go on clearance.:(

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Right now I only have the $$$ to buy one per figure. However, if I find that I am in a collecting lull and new figures are scarce and hard to come buy, I'll pick up an extra figure here and there. Especially if they are on clearance. I have about 12-14 or so extra POTJ and about 10 of them I bought on clearance from $4.99 and under. :D

Sean the Hutt
03-12-2002, 06:07 PM
now I know where all the comm tech stormies went...thanks a lot...I won't say you are a hoarder because you obviously wanted all of those figures for a diorama...I hope. But it is a bit obsesive compulsive. just like the ever lasting gobstopper " one is all you need and one, is enough for anybody!" Saying that I too have been at the 2 per level. but have recently gone to just one on some figs. I suppose it comes down to space and cash. I figure most of us know when we have gone to far and perhaps bought up a bunch of figures for 1.50 and later wondered why.. Heck most of the time you are doing everyone a favor by buying up those figs, but with some figs, you just know to spread the wealth. KARMA To all traders that is cool as long as it is within reason. That is part of the fun and a good way to make Star Wars friends.

Lord Tenebrous
03-12-2002, 06:26 PM
I usually buy one figure per wave when they're full price, and as many as I can pay cash with when they're on clearance. Figures for less than $3 is sweet. :)

Starfig873
03-12-2002, 06:48 PM
Actually it's very rare that I buy extra. And even then, it's possibly due to a variation or army builiding (which I rarely do that too).

mark2d2
03-13-2002, 05:50 PM
It's very rare that I buy extras. I used to be a carded and loose fanatic and have long since learned my lesson.

However, I did pick up two R3-T7s today. One's already open and the other will be kept carded. (It's still neat to have one carded figure from each card style.) And this will be the only Preview Figure I get. Plus, he's really a sweet little droid. The ultimate preview figure in my opinion.

Long Live R3-T7 !!!

JetsAndHeels
03-14-2002, 10:19 AM
I only buy extras of the ones I really like. For example I have 3 carded sneak preview Jangos. I also have one opened to play with. All together I have 2 carded sets of the preview figs, oh and one opened Zam Wessel.
I already know I will have a few of the Kamino escape Jango, just for the features. The grappling hook and jetpack and removable helmet is great. I imagine the rest I will just get 1 of each.

OC47150
03-14-2002, 10:25 AM
As stated before, I try to buy two but if it's a lame or hard to find (and expensive!) figure I will only buy one.