PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Rebels - Dave Filoni's new Star Wars animated series

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-16-2013, 01:37 PM
It's been discussed elsewhere, but I wanted to start a thread for the new animated project since a few hints have been dropped lately.

A little over a week ago on May 6, Dave Filoni posted this sketch of TIE fighters (https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/485585_10151562853130053_595146916_n.jpg) hanging from cranes, with the caption, "It’s hard to believe that I have worked at Lucasfilm almost eight years, and this is the first time I have ever gotten to draw a TIE fighter." StarWars.com later used this other TIE drawing (http://25.media.tumblr.com/bc376cfff65d3d9a515193218ed6b21b/tumblr_mmhvw6yOEq1spvvs0o1_1280.jpg) on its 404 pages, with Dave's Plo Kool seal of approval. Unlike the first image, it shows the wings at their proper sizes.

This short video (https://vine.co/v/bEM2riO9WAq) was recently posted on Vine, showing Dave opening a vintage TIE Fighter in what looks to be a Lucasfilm office, saying it's for research. TheForce.net (http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Dave_Filoni_Doing_Research_For_His_Next_SW_Project _151932.asp) pointed out a number of possible Easter eggs in the video, including the fact that the desktop has a link to a Star Wars Blog post (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2009/05/20/stay-on-target/) with Aurebesh writing over an X-wing targeting system. The post itself says, "In those first dark days it seemed certain the bright flame would be extinguished before it cast the light of new truth." This is adapted from the prologue of the original ANH novelization, presented as coming from the Journal of the Whills. The Aurebesh reads, "STRIKING FIRST SO YOU CAN'T STRIKE BACK." Oddly, the post is titled May 20, 2009, so I'm thinking it's a fake date to bury the post, meant only to be accessible thanks to the Vine video. The source code indicates that the image includes "2013/05" in its title (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/stayontarget.jpg), indicating that it's a new page as of sometime this month.

The rest of the TFN article is wild speculation that may or may not mean anything, but it also points out that Leland Chee Tweeted on May 5 (https://twitter.com/HolocronKeeper/status/331114301924450305), "I have the first line of the opening crawl for The Empire Strikes Back stuck in my head." Of course, the first line is, "It is a dark time for the Rebellion."

Additional clues point to Gargoyles creator and Young Justice producer Greg Weisman being involved. Much like The Clone Wars, Young Justice was recently cancelled, so this is very possible.

Obviously these all lead one to believe that the new animated series would involve the Rebellion and the Empire, most likely taking place between ROTS and ANH - or maybe even between ANH and ESB, given the few ESB nods. I hope it's during the "dark times" for a number of reasons, from the fact that it's still woefully unexplored to the fact that the seemingly defunct live-action show was to be set in this period to the fact that it could just as easily pull characters from the PT or the OT even more than TCW did. Above all else, it's exciting that it might not be set too far after TCW, meaning that we would hopefully be able to follow up on characters from TCW - Ahsoka, Rex, Maul, Ventress, and Boba Fett would be very welcome, and it might have strong involvement from Saw Gerrera and Lux Bonteri. Characters like Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and Tarkin could easily play large roles here as well. And designer Kilian Plunkett appears with Dave and Pablo Hidalgo in the video, indicating that he's staying on board to help design the new series - so hopefully they also utilize some of the great writers and voice actors from TCW.

I assume more will be revealed at Celebration Europe II, if not sooner. It's nice to finally have some good news to speculate on for once!

JediTricks
05-16-2013, 03:19 PM
I'd be a little surprised if this reveal is given up at Euro-Celebration, generally that's the sort of thing they save for US shores.

I'd very much like a series set between ANH and ESB, there's so much room for exciting times there. ROTS to ANH is ok, but there's a bit of prequel infection expected there, that "crossover" feeling that shouldn't really be left to anybody but Lucas himself (and even then, probably not).

You know, the next D23 Expo is this August, that'd be a fantastic surprise to reveal there instead of SDCC (although I vote SDCC since I'm going :p).

There's no "Star Wars" in this thread's title, don't you think there ought to be?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-16-2013, 05:02 PM
I'd be a little surprised if this reveal is given up at Euro-Celebration, generally that's the sort of thing they save for US shores.
SDCC is a week before CEII, but is Dave going to be there? He was one of the first guests announced for CEII, and he'll have to have something to talk about other than the Clone Wars bonus content. The fact that he and Kennedy are both going to be there leads me to believe they'll show off some goods in Germany. And it would be a cop-out to the fans to say, "Welp, we already showed everything last week! Too bad you weren't at Comic Con!" It would also be a show of good faith to the core SW fandom, since literally every big-ticket item they showed at CVI has been cancelled by this point. No matter what, I'm sure we'll have some information before the summer's over.

I'd very much like a series set between ANH and ESB, there's so much room for exciting times there. ROTS to ANH is ok, but there's a bit of prequel infection expected there, that "crossover" feeling that shouldn't really be left to anybody but Lucas himself (and even then, probably not).
A show set between ANH and ESB would be cool for sure. I've just been interested in the between-trilogy period for quite a while, and after it seemed like Disney wanted to move completely away from the prequel storyline, this would be welcome news to me. And this would be a great way to occasionally tie up remaining TCW plot points where it makes sense - I would love, for instance, to check back up on Mandalore and see how things have changed under the Empire. They could also possibly reconfigure some of the lost scripts from TCW seasons six through eight.

Did you not like the crossover vibe from the final TCW season five arc? I thought it was handled very well there.

There's no "Star Wars" in this thread's title, don't you think there ought to be?
I'll change it for now, but I was planning on changing it whenever we learned the title of the series anyway.

RendarStillLives
05-20-2013, 12:01 PM
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/rebels-star-wars-animated-series-coming-next-140615438.html

If you can't wait until 2015 for J.J. Abrams' continuation of the "Star Wars" saga, the Disney Channel has something to hold you over: The new animated series "Star Wars Rebels" will debut late next year.

The series comes as Lucasfilm Animation is winding down the animated series "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," which premiered in 2008. Simon Kinberg ("X-Men: First Class") will executive produce and write the premiere episode of "Rebels," which will premiere in fall 2014 on the Disney Channel and will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.

The new series, set in the two decades between "Star Wars" episodes three and four, finds the Empire hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a small band of rebels unites against it.

It will be produced by Lucasfilm and will feature many of the "Clone Wars" talents. Fans attending Star Wars Celebration Europe will be the first to get an exclusive look at the new series. Casting will be announced later.

"I couldn't be more excited to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. "I think 'Star Wars Rebels' will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about Star Wars."

Kinberg is joined as an executive producer by Dave Filoni, who served as supervising director of the animated "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," which debuted in 2008 and is winding down this year. Greg Weisman brings ("The Spectacular Spider-Man," "Gargoyles") is also executive producing.

RendarStillLives
05-20-2013, 12:04 PM
There you have it. Star Wars: Rebels. Hopefully we get to see.some of the stories already penned in the EU brought to life.

Maradona
05-20-2013, 12:21 PM
I like that the series might rely on the McQuarrie designs. I would still like to see the fan-made anime-style Tie Fighter series. I can't seem to find the link to it, though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Here is the official story (http://starwars.com/news/new-animated-series-star-wars-rebels-coming-fall-2014.html) on StarWars.com.

This is, to me anyway, the best news that has come out of the Disney purchase since Michael Arndt was announced. Finally they're going to explore the dark times! In the video, Dave mentions that it will be in CG, not traditional animation, so I hope it looks half as good as TCW did - I'm so glad that Joel Aron and Kilian Plunkett are confirmed as being on board. Presumably they'll be able to save on the budget by reusing the vast amount of ships and sets created for TCW. They're really putting a lot of their eggs in the Simon Kinberg basket, so hopefully he knows what he's doing! The fact that Dave is an executive producer and so heavily involved really gives me hope that they'll follow up on the characters from TCW, especially since the article mentions the Jedi still being hunted. There will also be less EU to retcon here so hopefully that aspect won't turn as many people away as TCW did.

El Chuxter
05-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Is this basically a semi-official canceling of the mythical live action series?

RendarStillLives
05-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Here is the official story (http://starwars.com/news/new-animated-series-star-wars-rebels-coming-fall-2014.html) on StarWars.com.

This is, to me anyway, the best news that has come out of the Disney purchase since Michael Arndt was announced. Finally they're going to explore the dark times! In the video, Dave mentions that it will be in CG, not traditional animation, so I hope it looks half as good as TCW did - I'm so glad that Joel Aron and Kilian Plunkett are confirmed as being on board. Presumably they'll be able to save on the budget by reusing the vast amount of ships and sets created for TCW. They're really putting a lot of their eggs in the Simon Kinberg basket, so hopefully he knows what he's doing! The fact that Dave is an executive producer and so heavily involved really gives me hope that they'll follow up on the characters from TCW, especially since the article mentions the Jedi still being hunted. There will also be less EU to retcon here so hopefully that aspect won't turn as many people away as TCW did.

I agree. There is a lot more area for them to dabble in than what was crammed into the Clone Wars. I'd still like to see the whole Halcyon/Horn story play out, Asohka's story, Anya Kuro's story, A'Sharad Hett's fall to the darkside. We may even find out what happens to Rex, Cody and Ventress. Always wondered why Alpha-17 was never in TCW.

El Chuxter, I am skeptical Star Wars could pull off a live action series. Even the best TV shows lack the effects and budget necessary for the expectations the fandom has for anything Star Wars. Look at the difference between Star Trek movies verses their television counterparts. Or Stargate. Falling Skies may be a cool TV show but it ain't anything close to a Star wars movie.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2013, 03:15 PM
I agree. There is a lot more area for them to dabble in than what was crammed into the Clone Wars. I'd still like to see the whole Halcyon/Horn story play out, Asohka's story, Anya Kuro's story, A'Sharad Hett's fall to the darkside. We may even find out what happens to Rex, Cody and Ventress. Always wondered why Alpha-17 was never in TCW.

El Chuxter, I am skeptical Star Wars could pull off a live action series. Even the best TV shows lack the effects and budget necessary for the expectations the fandom has for anything Star Wars. Look at the difference between Star Trek movies verses their television counterparts. Or Stargate. Falling Skies may be a cool TV show but it ain't anything close to a Star wars movie.
Alpha wasn't in TCW since they didn't want to have everyone's name starting with an A - Anakin, Ahsoka, Artoo, Alpha. So he was basically turned into Rex.

I really do want to see how the clones are integrated into the Imperial army - this show would probably be the best place for it.

The budget for the live-action show was the reason it stayed on the shelf for so long. Then again, it was mainly because Lucasfilm didn't have the budget and didn't want to have to compromise by working with another company - maybe Disney would have the cash? As I mentioned elsewhere, even though these series would take place in the same 19-year span, they seem like they would be dealing with different topics and characters. (Though if it follows TCW's lead, it will jump all over the place.)

RendarStillLives
05-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Alpha wasn't in TCW since they didn't want to have everyone's name starting with an A - Anakin, Ahsoka, Artoo, Alpha. So he was basically turned into Rex.

I really do want to see how the clones are integrated into the Imperial army - this show would probably be the best place for it.

The budget for the live-action show was the reason it stayed on the shelf for so long. Then again, it was mainly because Lucasfilm didn't have the budget and didn't want to have to compromise by working with another company - maybe Disney would have the cash? As I mentioned elsewhere, even though these series would take place in the same 19-year span, they seem like they would be dealing with different topics and characters. (Though if it follows TCW's lead, it will jump all over the place.)

I always thought Rex was cool but if he is intended to be Alpha then suddenly he became that much cooler in my eyes. I always wanted to know what happened to him and Ventress after the events of Obsession. I think TCW always kind of focused around the clones and other characters as well but mostly I saw it as a story through the eyes of the clones and Asohka. With folks who worked on TCW on board and how they set up the makings of the rebellion in TCW, I'd find it difficult to believe they wouldn't be tying it all in. I'm sure they'll wanna throw in some new stuff so it doesn't seem "same old" and keep it fresh but TCW was very successful at doing that throughout it's entire run and fans really embraced those characters. I wasn't into TCW at the begining and felt some stuff was a bitter pill to swallow. Like it would have to be it's own continuity if you included all the novels, comics and the earlier animated stuff. How can Obi-Wan and Anakin be everywhere at once? Thankfully they moved away from that and focused on other characters. Also bringing Darth Maul back completely diminished the events of TPM in my eyes. Anyone read Darth Plagueis? But I learned to let go, relax and enjoy the ride cause even the stuff I thought was ridiculous was being executed.rather well. In short, I can't wait for the new series.

JediTricks
05-21-2013, 06:37 PM
SDCC is a week before CEII, but is Dave going to be there? He was one of the first guests announced for CEII, and he'll have to have something to talk about other than the Clone Wars bonus content. The fact that he and Kennedy are both going to be there leads me to believe they'll show off some goods in Germany. And it would be a cop-out to the fans to say, "Welp, we already showed everything last week! Too bad you weren't at Comic Con!" It would also be a show of good faith to the core SW fandom, since literally every big-ticket item they showed at CVI has been cancelled by this point. No matter what, I'm sure we'll have some information before the summer's over.They could road-show it, but it sounds like they're going to skip SDCC for this and probably for Filoni as well - first time that'll happen in 6 years, I think, between Avatar: The Last Airbender and SW:TCW. I wonder if they'll bring it to the D23 Expo a month later though.

A show set between ANH and ESB would be cool for sure. I've just been interested in the between-trilogy period for quite a while, and after it seemed like Disney wanted to move completely away from the prequel storyline, this would be welcome news to me. And this would be a great way to occasionally tie up remaining TCW plot points where it makes sense - I would love, for instance, to check back up on Mandalore and see how things have changed under the Empire. They could also possibly reconfigure some of the lost scripts from TCW seasons six through eight.I guess, but I think it'll need strong foundation to really work or it'll be trying to hit too many targets at once, whereas between ANH and ESB there's already a foundation in play. Also, the dark times can't really have any victories for the rebels, or ANH's crawl won't make sense, so that'll be difficult to make a show around.

Did you not like the crossover vibe from the final TCW season five arc? I thought it was handled very well there.Nah, the AOTC to ROTS crossover? Not really, it just felt more of the same from TCW to me, not a strong pull towards ROTS.

I like that the series might rely on the McQuarrie designs. I would still like to see the fan-made anime-style Tie Fighter series. I can't seem to find the link to it, though.Yeah, McQuarrie is a great starting point, although I hope they're not too slavish to it, there's a reason the Y-wing art and the Death Star art changed so much.

The TIE Fighter anime was pulled by its creator because it was supposed to be a work in progress shown to a few people. Someone else took the video and added sounds and music (see the link in the 2nd post): http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/46299-Fan-made-Star-Wars-anime-video

Is this basically a semi-official canceling of the mythical live action series?No, that was already semi-officially canceled when Lucas said it was too expensive to produce on a weekly basis series. Disney has said that they aren't likely to make those produced scripts, BUT that they aren't saying no to the idea of a live action series, just probably not THAT one.

I really do want to see how the clones are integrated into the Imperial army - this show would probably be the best place for it.IMO, they should phase the clones out during this period, they're aging out and it's clear the Imperial troops of the OT are people, not clones (different heights and builds, less talented at warfare). Perhaps switching to "volunteers" that are really just conscripts would be the way to go.

The budget for the live-action show was the reason it stayed on the shelf for so long. Then again, it was mainly because Lucasfilm didn't have the budget and didn't want to have to compromise by working with another company - maybe Disney would have the cash? As I mentioned elsewhere, even though these series would take place in the same 19-year span, they seem like they would be dealing with different topics and characters. (Though if it follows TCW's lead, it will jump all over the place.)Lucas had the money, he just didn't want to lose his own money on the series, he wanted someone else to pay for it so he wouldn't be carrying all the risk.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-22-2013, 01:01 PM
I guess, but I think it'll need strong foundation to really work or it'll be trying to hit too many targets at once, whereas between ANH and ESB there's already a foundation in play. Also, the dark times can't really have any victories for the rebels, or ANH's crawl won't make sense, so that'll be difficult to make a show around.
The Clone Wars told a ton of varied stories, many of which didn't really have anything to do with the war itself, and I felt it was successful in doing so, so I'm not worried about that. This show can start out with showing Vader and the 501st continuing to hunt down and destroy the Jedi, there are lots of interesting ideas to explore there. They can show the criminal underworld growing stronger and more unruly, with characters from Jabba to Boba to Greedo to even Han and Chewie coming in to play. They could do more Droids-style adventures with R2-D2 and C-3PO. I assume they'll devote a good amount of time to showing how the various pockets of rebels formed, and they can explore many groups from all around the galaxy. And they can have skirmishes between the Rebels and Empire that don't go too well for the Rebels - they are the underdogs, after all, so I'd like to see them portrayed as such. I really don't think they'll have trouble coming up with stories for this time period, and it can all be tied around the idea of why the rebellion needed to be formed in the first place.

Nah, the AOTC to ROTS crossover? Not really, it just felt more of the same from TCW to me, not a strong pull towards ROTS.
I was talking about how the final arc had designs heavily influenced by the Death Star, showing the Republic moving towards being an even more militaristic entity, so crossover from the PT to the OT.

IMO, they should phase the clones out during this period, they're aging out and it's clear the Imperial troops of the OT are people, not clones (different heights and builds, less talented at warfare). Perhaps switching to "volunteers" that are really just conscripts would be the way to go.
Dave has said that he felt that the OT stormtroopers weren't clones, so you're probably correct that that's what we'll see. But even as the clones get older, I assume they'd at least be around for a while after ROTS, and I'd like to see what happens to them both as a whole and individually - particularly Rex, Cody, and Fives.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Dave has said that he felt that the OT stormtroopers weren't clones, so you're probably correct that that's what we'll see. But even as the clones get older, I assume they'd at least be around for a while after ROTS, and I'd like to see what happens to them both as a whole and individually - particularly Rex, Cody, and Fives.I wonder if they would hire Karen Traviss to pen some stories about that...

bigbarada
05-23-2013, 11:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney took this opportunity to start retconning some of the plot points from the Prequels with the eventual goal of just pushing the Prequels out of the Star Wars continuity altogether.

Even if they don't go that far, I see them writing stories around the OT as if the Prequels had never happened.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-24-2013, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney took this opportunity to start retconning some of the plot points from the Prequels with the eventual goal of just pushing the Prequels out of the Star Wars continuity altogether.

Even if they don't go that far, I see them writing stories around the OT as if the Prequels had never happened."As if millions of screen shots suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly edited. I'm not sure this would be something terrible to happen."

I think, of all my beliefs in the Star Wars mythos, the one thing I figured would never happen was a rewrite of existing events in the films. Messing up stuff with odd choices, ones I wouldn't have made? Sure. But a full-on ret-con? That makes SW just another film franchise, not a modern, collective fairy tale. And that IS something terrible that'd happen. :cry:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-24-2013, 01:27 PM
I don't think anything like that will happen in this show. Dave is a big fan and proponent of the prequels, so while obviously the show will eventually move towards ANH, it won't jettison the PT completely.

bigbarada
05-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. :D

Anyways, even if they don't try to push the Prequels out of continuity, of which I'm referring to Disney not Dave Filoni specifically, then I think they might at least downplay those films' significance as the years go by.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Yeah, like a From the Journal of the Wasn'ts... the PT was how Palpatine manipulated the history of the galaxy to report "that was how it happened," but in true Clue fashion, we get alternate endings until the real true one is revealed. There's your 12-film SW saga right there! ;)

Maradona
05-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah, like a From the Journal of the Wasn'ts... the PT was how Palpatine manipulated the history of the galaxy to report "that was how it happened," but in true Clue fashion, we get alternate endings until the real true one is revealed. There's your 12-film SW saga right there! ;)

"Journal of the Wasn'ts" is my new favorite quote.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Greg Weisman was at Denver Comic Con this past weekend and - hey, what do you know! - so was I. He spoke at a panel on the future of Star Wars and was really the only interesting part, surrounded by no-name bloggers and a Dark Horse guy who did nothing but bash the prequels and basically admit they had no idea what was going on (they didn't even know who any of the writers of the new films were going to be, despite that being one of the few actual confirmations).

Weisman said that he had only been working on the show for two weeks, evidently having been hired on Friday, May 17. They already knew it would be a show set between the trilogies when he was hired. I asked a question about George's involvement (since he's consulting on Episode VII and came up with the stories for TCW), and he said he hadn't met him at all in the two weeks he'd been working. But Weisman, Filoni, Kinberg, Pablo Hidalgo, and a few others have already come up with the stories for the first season and were going to be refining episodes four through seven this week. He confirmed that it will be CGI, not 2D animation. When someone (rudely) asked whether it would "screw over" the continuity like The Clone Wars did, Weisman said that it wouldn't go against anything from the films but also wouldn't be beholden to every single story that's ever come out, citing similar questions from his time on Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice. He also joked that Wedge Antilles would be the only character and that it would be entirely a monologue, so I'm surprised that hasn't spread online more. :p

bigbarada
06-06-2013, 05:35 PM
When someone (rudely) asked whether it would "screw over" the continuity like The Clone Wars did, Weisman said that it wouldn't go against anything from the films but also wouldn't be beholden to every single story that's ever come out, citing similar questions from his time on Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice. He also joked that Wedge Antilles would be the only character and that it would be entirely a monologue, so I'm surprised that hasn't spread online more. :p

I'm glad they're not going to allow the existing EU to become a straight-jacket for them, it's better to allow the show to stretch its creative legs and establish its own identity. If it ends up conflicting with some novel written 10, 15, or 20 years ago.... well, who really cares?

JediTricks
06-07-2013, 02:41 AM
Cool to hear. Did they talk at all about the characters they intended to use? This is an interesting series in that it doesn't take place when and where any major movie characters would be seen.

I'm not surprised the word didn't get out from this panel, these smaller cons popping up to eat SDCC's lunch aren't as connected, the numbers aren't there yet for most of them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Cool to hear. Did they talk at all about the characters they intended to use? This is an interesting series in that it doesn't take place when and where any major movie characters would be seen.

I'm not surprised the word didn't get out from this panel, these smaller cons popping up to eat SDCC's lunch aren't as connected, the numbers aren't there yet for most of them.
He didn't say anything about the actual content other than it takes place between Episode III and IV, a time period he was excited to explore due to all the possibilities. His Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/greg_weisman) has numerous examples of him denying spoiler requests, but he also tweets frequently, so there are occasionally some Rebels-related tidbits - on June 5, he tweeted about a story conference with Dave Filoni and someone whose name he considered a spoiler and didn't mention. I do think he'll be a fun, open presence at conventions and that sort of thing, similar to how Dave has been a really strong ambassador to the fans, but he's just not able to say much yet.

I don't think the series will be completely devoid of main characters - Vader and Palpatine will very likely make appearances (I have a hard time believing they'll pass up showing Vader hunting Jedi), and so will R2-D2 and C-3PO, I'm sure. Obi-Wan and Yoda are a toss-up, but they could explore a bit more with the Force ghosts if they so choose. I can also see them bringing in Leia more than Luke, particularly if Bail is going to have a role. Originally TCW was going to be about all-new characters and not Obi-Wan and Anakin, but I can't see Disney trying out all new characters with no connections to the films in this show.

Bryan Young from Big Shiny Robot says he was at the convention, and I saw his table, and he put up an audio interview with Weisman (http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/52825) that covers him getting hired and watching TCW (he says he's a fan of Ahsoka, so I wonder if that will make her more likely to appear in Rebels). I thought his site would have been one to have had more coverage overall, and he claims he was on the future of SW panel - though I'm reasonably sure he wasn't, as I know he's a big PT fan and there wasn't a kind word said about them the entire panel. Maybe he's talking about a different panel, though he did plan to be at that one.

DarkJedi5
06-08-2013, 01:14 AM
I asked a question about George's involvement (since he's consulting on Episode VII and came up with the stories for TCW), and he said he hadn't met him at all in the two weeks he'd been working. But Weisman, Filoni, Kinberg, Pablo Hidalgo, and a few others have already come up with the stories for the first season and were going to be refining episodes four through seven this week.

Feel free to take this with a grain of salt (or two, or three) but I recently shared a bus ride with Leland Chee and overheard him say that he hasn't seen George around the Lucasfilm HQ in San Francisco since the deal was finalized with Disney. I couldn't tell you what that means exactly, but it sounded like George's advisory role is either in low-gear at the moment or that it's being done from a distance.

JediTricks
06-08-2013, 02:26 PM
I don't think the series will be completely devoid of main characters - Vader and Palpatine will very likely make appearances (I have a hard time believing they'll pass up showing Vader hunting Jedi), and so will R2-D2 and C-3PO, I'm sure. Obi-Wan and Yoda are a toss-up, but they could explore a bit more with the Force ghosts if they so choose. I can also see them bringing in Leia more than Luke, particularly if Bail is going to have a role. Originally TCW was going to be about all-new characters and not Obi-Wan and Anakin, but I can't see Disney trying out all new characters with no connections to the films in this show.Vader and Palps I can't imagine being main characters, but that'd be very interesting if they were the focus.

R2 and 3PO I feel like they need a rest as main characters, the prequels overplayed that hand with ROTS especially. Force Ghosts, I dunno, it's very soon after Yoda said it was a rarity to have them.

Bryan Young from Big Shiny Robot says he was at the convention, and I saw his table, and he put up an audio interview with Weisman (http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/52825) that covers him getting hired and watching TCW (he says he's a fan of Ahsoka, so I wonder if that will make her more likely to appear in Rebels). I thought his site would have been one to have had more coverage overall, and he claims he was on the future of SW panel - though I'm reasonably sure he wasn't, as I know he's a big PT fan and there wasn't a kind word said about them the entire panel. Maybe he's talking about a different panel, though he did plan to be at that one.Ahsoka if she joins the rebels HAS to die in this series though, you can't have her getting involved again and not explain her absence in the OT any other way, but it'd be ok to have her, it'd make sense enough.

The Denver con doesn't list online the panelists for each panel? That should answer that question easily. And as for not a kind PT fan there, that's how it goes sometimes, gotta stand for what you believe in even in the face of adversity.

Feel free to take this with a grain of salt (or two, or three) but I recently shared a bus ride with Leland Chee and overheard him say that he hasn't seen George around the Lucasfilm HQ in San Francisco since the deal was finalized with Disney. I couldn't tell you what that means exactly, but it sounded like George's advisory role is either in low-gear at the moment or that it's being done from a distance.Doesn't surprise me in the least, as an advisor it'd be in the writing process right now which may not take place at Lucasfilm at all.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Dave Filoni posted a blog entry (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/06/13/sculpting-the-clone-wars-and-star-wars-rebels-with-darren-marshall/#more-22797) about sculptor Darren Marshall, who is leaving Lucasfilm Animation this week. The article shows his design for Oppo Rancisis from upcoming TCW content, and since Darren also sculpted the primary characters for Rebels, there's a small shot of Dave and Darren holding a stormtrooper sculpt. It's stylized with a higher "mouth" and more menacing-looking eyes, but it looks like it would fit right in with TCW, so it seems likely that they'll be following the same style.

TCW animation supervisor Keith Kellogg's Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/Keith_Kellogg) confirms his Rebels involvement as well.

Vader and Palps I can't imagine being main characters, but that'd be very interesting if they were the focus.

R2 and 3PO I feel like they need a rest as main characters, the prequels overplayed that hand with ROTS especially. Force Ghosts, I dunno, it's very soon after Yoda said it was a rarity to have them.
I wasn't saying that any of them had to be the main characters of the show necessarily, but I don't doubt that they'll be involved in some way. The reason I brought up the Force ghosts is that rumor has it that some of TCW's bonus content may delve into this subject a little bit, but if they wanted to explain it a little more, then they could have Obi-Wan and/or Yoda and/or Qui-Gon make an appearance.

Ahsoka if she joins the rebels HAS to die in this series though, you can't have her getting involved again and not explain her absence in the OT any other way, but it'd be ok to have her, it'd make sense enough.
She doesn't have to join the rebels, I was just using "Rebels" to refer to the show's title (though since it has no punctuation, I guess it's called "Star Wars Rebels," so maybe we should abbreviate it SWR). I can't imagine Dave not at least wanting to show where she is, but whether or not he does is a different story.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-25-2013, 01:59 PM
For those keeping track at home, the Celebration Europe first look at Star Wars Rebels will take place 6:30 a.m. EST/3:30 a.m. PST this Saturday morning. I'm not sure how much they can possibly have completed by this point, but hopefully there will at least be a good amount of concept art and information about it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Here is the official logo and some concept art (http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-celebration-europe-2013-star-wars-rebels-logo-art-and-details-revealed.html), including the main character's ship, called Ghost. The art is very McQuarrie-esque.

Here is the Star Wars Blog's (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/07/27/swce-2013-star-wars-rebels-panel-with-dave-filoni-liveblog/) coverage. Evidently the show will take place closer to ANH than ROTS, but it sounds from various sources that Dave seemed coy about whether or not he'd bringing in Clone Wars characters, so it's seeming pretty likely. That makes me so happy.

Bleeding Cool has more updates (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/27/star-wars-rebels/), including hi-res photos of the concept art (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/27/star-wars-rebels-logo-and-concept-art-revealed-at-star-wars-celebration-europe/) shown at the panel.

There's also an exclusive Rebels logo T-shirt (http://www.reedpopsupplyco.com/product-p/13924.htm) that sold out in person within minutes but is available through their site. I ordered mine. Can you tell I'm looking forward to this show? :D

JediTricks
07-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Here is the official logo and some concept art (http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-celebration-europe-2013-star-wars-rebels-logo-art-and-details-revealed.html), including the main character's ship, called Ghost. The art is very McQuarrie-esque.

Here is the Star Wars Blog's (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/07/27/swce-2013-star-wars-rebels-panel-with-dave-filoni-liveblog/) coverage. Evidently the show will take place closer to ANH than ROTS, but it sounds from various sources that Dave seemed coy about whether or not he'd bringing in Clone Wars characters, so it's seeming pretty likely. That makes me so happy.

Bleeding Cool has more updates (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/27/star-wars-rebels/), including hi-res photos of the concept art (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/27/star-wars-rebels-logo-and-concept-art-revealed-at-star-wars-celebration-europe/) shown at the panel.

There's also an exclusive Rebels logo T-shirt (http://www.reedpopsupplyco.com/product-p/13924.htm) that sold out in person within minutes but is available through their site. I ordered mine. Can you tell I'm looking forward to this show? :DI promoted your post to news with a little editing.

Good stuff, although I don't get a feeling of Star Wars from the Ghost image, the Ghost looks like a cross between the middle of the Falcon and the Narcissus from Aliens, while the other ships just seem like 1970s sci-fi imagery.

The TIE Fighter smashing into that natural column on what used to be Alderaan is neat, the lack of response from an empty world makes such a statement - nobody stops to help out or take advantage or anything, a pilot makes a mistake and crashes and likely dies and does so all alone.

The logo is ok, not WOW GOTTA HAVE IT for me but fine.

That stormtrooper is really offputting at first glance, but it could work in a cartoony universe.

Beast
10-07-2013, 10:23 PM
The teaser trailer for Rebels has been officially released. Looks good for what it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1_F7zg4B30

The official Star Wars Rebels teaser trailer from Lucasfilm gives viewers their first look at the upcoming animated series' visual style, which is heavily influenced by the work of original Star Wars concept artist Ralph McQuarrie. Star Wars Rebels takes place between Star Wars: Episode III and IV, a time period previously unexplored on-screen, as the Empire cements its power and a rebellion begins to form. The highly anticipated show, executive produced by Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman, is coming Fall 2014 to Disney XD.

Can't wait. Sad to see the end of Clone Wars, but this looks like it'll be fun on the bun.

El Chuxter
10-07-2013, 11:18 PM
It took me twice as long to read that description as it did to watch the teaser! lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Hmm, it's hard to gauge much of anything from that all-too-brief trailer, but I like the brush strokes that appear in the space background - it's a nice carryover from TCW. Not sure why they mention the Jedi, as I wonder how much of them we'll see in this show. But the mirroring of the ANH opening shot likely shows how this series will lean more towards the OT. Anyway, there will be a panel showing new art at NYCC soon, so finally we'll have some more to go on.

Darth Metalmute
10-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Its hard to be impressed by something that I basically saw in the opening scene of Family Guy Blue Harvest.

However, It does give me some hope for the new show.

I just hope they don't make Vader look like a fool like they did to Grevious and Dooku.

Beast
10-12-2013, 03:57 PM
New info from NYCC on StarWars.Com. Including a new video and a video tease of one of the baddies.

http://starwars.com/news/nycc-2013-meet-the-inquisitor-the-new-face-of-evil-in-star-wars-rebels.html

Darth Metalmute
10-12-2013, 07:14 PM
New info from NYCC on StarWars.Com. Including a new video and a video tease of one of the baddies.

http://starwars.com/news/nycc-2013-meet-the-inquisitor-the-new-face-of-evil-in-star-wars-rebels.html

ugh... Another dark jedi? How many of these did Vader employ?

JediTricks
10-15-2013, 07:01 PM
ALL OF THEM! Palpatine and his buddies had a "evil clumsy losers" internship opening at every jobs fair.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-10-2013, 03:03 PM
A commercial with a rapping llama (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxvPvC5Bvec) confirms that Star Wars Rebels will air on Saturday mornings next year. There's no need to subject yourself to the commercial - the only SW content is a crude animation applied to 2D images we've already seen of the Ghost and some Imperial ships. But now we know it's following in TCW's Season Five footsteps on Saturdays.

El Chuxter
12-10-2013, 05:15 PM
Rapping llama?

OMG OMG OMG AWESOMESAUCE!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Groove Bricks (http://www.groovebricks.com/lego-star-wars-summer-2014-set-details/) revealed information for a few 2014 Lego sets, including these two related to Star Wars Rebels:

Phantom (75048) – 234 pieces

Take on evil Imperial forces in The Phantom with opening cockpit, 2-way spring-loaded shooter, rear cargo compartment and more.

Fly The Phantom into battle against the evil Empire!

Join the Rebel resistance against the evil Empire in The Phantom attack shuttle, as seen in the exciting Star Wars: Rebels animated TV series! Place young Rebel hero Ezra Bridger in the detachable cockpit and store his cadet helmet and blaster in the carg
Fly The Phantom into battle against the evil Empire!

The Ghost (75053) – 929 pieces

Pilot The Ghost with 2 cockpits, 360-degree rotating gun turret, spring-loaded shooters, detachable escape pods, Holocron and more.

Join the Rebel heroes aboard The Ghost!

Get ready to battle the Empire with the Rebel heroes’ awesome starship – The Ghost – as seen in the thrilling Star Wars: Rebels animated TV series! Stay on course with Rebel minifigures in the two cockpits and put Zeb on patrol in the 360-degree rotating
Join the Rebel heroes aboard The Ghost!

So of course the pertinent thing to take away here is that two of the characters will be named Ezra Bridger and Zeb (unless it was transcribed incorrectly, of course). I find "Zeb" to be close to Zev Senesca, so maybe it'll actually be a young Zev? Eh, probably not. But still, I remember the Lego sets revealing some info about The Clone Wars several months ahead of time due to marketing materials, so I'm sure they'll provide us with some meatier information soon.

El Chuxter
01-07-2014, 01:23 AM
Ezra Bridger? That's an amazingly human name. (Not sure of the context of Ezra, but "Bridger" seems a lazy nod to the way this should bridge the trilogies.)

Early to complain, and I'm not, I just expected a name that sounded more Star Wars, less Indiana Jones or American Graffiti. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Ezra Bridger? That's an amazingly human name. (Not sure of the context of Ezra, but "Bridger" seems a lazy nod to the way this should bridge the trilogies.)

Early to complain, and I'm not, I just expected a name that sounded more Star Wars, less Indiana Jones or American Graffiti. :D

Early to complain? You?! Why, that's never been known to happen. ;) :D

JediTricks
01-07-2014, 09:18 PM
Bridger sounds no less out of place than Luke and Ben to my ears. An interesting take on the name as well, "bridging", but probably way off the mark.

bigbarada
01-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Not sure of the context of Ezra

Ezra was an Old Testament era scribe in Israel who led a large group of Israelites back to Jerusalem after their captivity at the hands of the Babylonians. The Babylonians were defeated by the Persians in 539 BC and Cyrus (the king of Persia at the time) allowed the Israelites to return to their land. There were three main groups of Jews who returned to Jerusalem, the first led by Zerubbabel in 538 BC, the second led by Ezra in 458 BC, and the third led by Nehemiah in 445 BC. I believe Ezra is the one who reestablished the temple worship led by the Levitical priests and ritual sacrifices after their return. Zerubbabel was the Persian appointed king over the reestablished Israel (but he wasn't a part of the Davidic line) and I think Nehemiah was the first governor of Jerusalem after their return from exile. Ezra is traditionally credited with having written the books of Ezra, Nehemiah, and 1 & 2 Chronicles in the Christian Old Testament and the Jewish Tanakh.

Not that that has anything to do with Rebels, mind you. Most likely they picked the name because they just liked how it sounded. :D

I actually like the name because it does have a very OT (Original Trilogy, not Old Testament, in this context) feel to it. Also, it's not filled with apostrophes like most of the lame EU names.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Ezra? Know what would've been cooler? Alternative Bridger. Better than Ezra.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Entertainment Weekly (http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/10/star-wars-rebels-photo-stormtroopers-inquisitor/#) has yet another photo of the Inquisitor and some stormtroopers running down the halls of what appears to be the Death Star (or something with the same design). Some of the details on the troopers' armor looks like it's painted on instead of textured - it's an interesting style both similar to and different from The Clone Wars, and I'd like to see more soon. Also note that the Inquisitor's lightsaber only has one blade ignited and one half of the ring seen in the previous image.

The print version (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdlcI8QCcAA6FI9.jpg:large) has a few lines of an interview with Kinberg, though nothing earth-shattering.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-27-2014, 01:21 PM
MakingStarWars.net reported on some information (http://makingstarwars.net/2014/01/oh-nerra-star-wars-rebels-character-names-the-legacy-of-cham-syndulla/) found in a Lego catalog that includes some more character names:
*Ezra Bridger
*Kannan Jarrus
*Hera Syndulla

We've already heard about Ezra, and some other toy leaks have mentioned Kannan, but the most interesting is Hera Syndulla. Cham Syndulla was the Twi'lek freedom fighter who fought to liberate Ryloth in Seasons One and Three of The Clone Wars, so there's undoubtedly some kind of a relation there. Cool!

EDIT: Dave Filoni has revealed another new character (http://www.moviepilot.de/news/star-wars-rebels-interview-mit-produzent-dave-filoni-127542) – Chopper, the old astromech droid! He looks like a McQuarrie-style R5. It also looks like R2-D2 will be in the series, as the site includes character key artwork for both droids. The video includes Dave, art director Kilian Plunkett, animation supervisor Keith Kellogg, and concept artist Amy Beth Christianson talking about the new droid.

Lord Malakite
01-27-2014, 08:24 PM
EDIT: Dave Filoni has revealed another new character (http://www.moviepilot.de/news/star-wars-rebels-interview-mit-produzent-dave-filoni-127542) – Chopper, the old astromech droid! He looks like a McQuarrie-style R5.
That name sounds familiar. Wasn't one of the Clone Troopers from The Clone Wars also named Chopper?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-27-2014, 10:54 PM
That name sounds familiar. Wasn't one of the Clone Troopers from The Clone Wars also named Chopper?

Yup. It was a clone stationed on Christophsis in "The Hidden Enemy" who would cut off Battle Droid fingers and keep them as mementos. Hasbro even made a figure of him. Maybe since TCW named a main clone after an old droid (Rex), the new show will name a main droid after an old clone. :D

Maradona
01-27-2014, 11:58 PM
I like how this series so far seems more influenced by the original trilogy than any other iteration of Star Wars.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2014, 01:45 PM
The official site (http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-rebels-meet-chopper-grumpy-astromech-droid.html) now has their write-up about Chopper – or, more formally, C1-10P (note how the "1-1" looks like an "H") – plus the same video and images, in addition to a shot of the Saga Legends Chopper figure. The figure looks pretty simple without any dirty paint wash, and hopefully the arms can at least fold out, even though this is a simple figure.

The article mentions that the show takes place four years prior to ANH, which is a little different than the five years mentioned at NYCC – well, I believe Hidalgo said it was 14 years after ROTS, so maybe they truncated the timeline or something? It was probably just a ballpark estimate anyway.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-31-2014, 11:49 AM
HothBricks posted an image (http://www.hothbricks.com/2014/01/lego-star-wars-75053-ghost-gros-plan-sur-les-minifigs/) of the minifigures from the Ghost Lego set – it's really only two character reveals, but it confirms previous reports.

Zeb Orretios is a purple alien in a yellow outfit – another Lakers reference perhaps? He's either a Tarnab (like Senator Mot Not Rab or taxi pilot Rayno Vaca) or based on McQuarrie's Chewbacca concept, so I wonder if he's going to be the show's substitute for Chewie. I like his Spanish-sounding name.

Hera Syndulla is a green female Twi'lek. As has been said before, Cham Syndulla was the rebel leader on Ryloth, so it makes sense that his daughter (or niece, or whoever she is) would carry that spirit. She wears brown and orange, a very '70s choice that should fit in with the OT visually.

Kanan Jarrus, whose name has also been seen spelled "Kannan," includes a lightsaber, but the character has been blacked out presumably for a bigger character reveal later. If there's a Jedi in the crew, it's obviously Kanan. Rumors suggest that Kanan would be unaware of his or her Force abilities until finding a holocron with relevant information, which I think would be far preferable to a Jedi who survived Order 66 – obviously you can't stop Force-sensitive children from being born, so maybe finding them is part of the Inquisitor's role.

The fourth character is the Stormtrooper, and we've already seen their new design. It looks like the minifig is a little stylized with a more exaggerated "frown" on the helmet, so I guess this line will follow the show's designs like The Clone Wars sets also did.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Lucasfilm Animation released six propaganda posters today that they'll be mailing to 2500 recipients tomorrow. Here is a compilation of all six (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfpwmozIQAEFHhh.jpg:large), with larger versions being distributed to various sites and collected on the official Star Wars Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/starwars). They're all pretty awesome! I hope they release these as posters at some point.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-11-2014, 06:34 PM
And now we have another official character reveal (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/02/11/freddie-prinze-jr-star-wars-rebels-first-look/4802651/) – Kanan Jarrus, the "cowboy Jedi" played by Freddie Prinze Jr. and the star of the show. He was young when Order 66 happened and has been laying low, forsaking his Jedi past during the rise of the Empire. I'm sure people will be bothered by another Jedi being alive, but it looks like they're going about it in an interesting way. He also has the "thunderbird" logo (or whatever it's going to be called) on his shoulder that eventually morphs into the Alliance logo (sorry, Marek family – your crest's no good here!).

Looking at various comments on Facebook and news sites, some have pointed out that his backstory, outfit, and name are very reminiscent of Kyle Katarn (with a little bit of Saw Gerrera thrown in there for good measure). It's also been noted that this is the first Latino leading character or actor in Star Wars – after Jimmy Smits, I don't even think there are any others...?

This other article on USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/02/11/star-wars-rebels-franchise-future-tv-movies/4802803/) has a few quotes from the crew on the tone of the show and that sort of thing. Nothing particularly illuminating but it's good to keep hearing more.

Darth Metalmute
02-11-2014, 08:25 PM
He also has the "thunderbird" logo (or whatever it's going to be called) on his shoulder that eventually morphs into the Alliance logo (sorry, Marek family – your crest's no good here!).

Only if the show doesn't get cancelled. ;)

Here's what I don't like so far. The Inquisitor and Kanan can never met. If the Inquisitor fails to capture Kanan, then Vader will just mop up. And if they never met... whats the point of the main characters?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-14-2014, 01:23 PM
And here's Ezra Bridger! (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Star-Wars-Rebels-Ezra-1077773.aspx) He's a 14-year-old street smart pickpocket – I'm even picking up an Aladdin vibe in his character design. Evidently he has some Force abilities – he doesn't know it's the Force, perhaps similarly to how Harry Potter was able to occasionally use magic at a young age without knowing what it was. While I'm sure some people will groan that there are now two Force-sensitive people in the main crew, it will be interesting to see how the life of a Force-sensitive person develops (as they're not just going to stop being born) when there's no structure of the Jedi Order.

The accompanying video also shows several new pieces of concept art, including an AT-ST. There's even a clip of the animation model with hair flowing, something they were trying to do on TCW but rarely did.

bigbarada
02-15-2014, 11:08 PM
I was originally annoyed by all of the Force-user characters in this show, but kids these days think of only three things when they think of Star Wars: lightsabers, lightsabers, and more lightsabers. So, obviously we are going to have lots of lightsabers swinging around in any new Star Wars media. It's probably best to just accept that fact and stop being bothered by it.

I do like a lot of what I've seen so far. That alien Zeb guy looks really cool and I think Ezra looks like an interesting character as well.

My excitment for the show is slowly building. When's the actual premiere?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-17-2014, 11:13 PM
I was originally annoyed by all of the Force-user characters in this show, but kids these days think of only three things when they think of Star Wars: lightsabers, lightsabers, and more lightsabers. So, obviously we are going to have lots of lightsabers swinging around in any new Star Wars media. It's probably best to just accept that fact and stop being bothered by it.

I do like a lot of what I've seen so far. That alien Zeb guy looks really cool and I think Ezra looks like an interesting character as well.

My excitment for the show is slowly building. When's the actual premiere?
There's no confirmation yet. Of course, the one-hour special premieres on Disney Channel sometime this Summer/Fall before it goes to Disney XD. Other than that, the haven't said anything.

But today they did reveal two new short trailers, so that's something:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/02/17/new-star-wars-rebels-trailers-revealed/

We've also learned that another new character on the show is a female who wears a Mandalorian helmet n the same style of Bo-Katan and the Nite Owls. Evidently her name is Sabine, which is a little close to Satine. I wonder if they'll address what happened to Mandalore after we last saw it on TCW or if she just uses the gear.

I'm not bothered by the Jedi since the two characters explore two different ideas of post-Order 66 Jedi - a survivor and a newborn - so there are lots of interesting ideas they can explore with both of them. I don't want Sabine to just feel like a lady Boba or anything, though. I was pretty surprised to see her on the packaging at the Hasbro event.

Anyway, I like both the weapons we've teen for Ezra - a seemingly customized/scratch-built lightsaber and an electric slingshot similar to the Nightsisters's bows. They're new and familiar at the same time, which seems to be the goal for a lot of this show.

Darth Metalmute
02-18-2014, 11:36 PM
While I'm sure some people will groan that there are now two Force-sensitive people in the main crew, it will be interesting to see how the life of a Force-sensitive person develops (as they're not just going to stop being born) when there's no structure of the Jedi Order.

The kid makes more sense than the adult, since you can't stop force "users" from being born. I do like the hire of Freddie Prinze Jr. as the voice of Kanan.

El Chuxter
02-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Why's the kid have a slingshot that throws blaster bolts?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Club Jade (http://clubjade.net/?p=57920#more-57920) has a collection of coverage from today's Star Wars Rebels panel at WonderCon. The page also includes a video featuring Hera and Chopper in the Ghost cockpit facing off against TIE Fighters. The character animation is definitely more broad and, well, animated than TCW. It'll take some getting used to, but I like it so far.

They announced that Kevin Kiner will return to score Rebels (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtxExG9QW8c), which is great news. They played the main theme, which evidently incorporates music from the films. The video has him playing a piece of music that may or may not be the main theme, but it sounds great!

EDIT: Rebels Report (https://soundcloud.com/rebelsreport/star-wars-rebels-show-theme-wondercon) recorded the main theme at the presentation and posted it online. It incorporates the Main Theme and Force theme from the films, and I like it a lot – it's very evocative of the original trilogy. It's around a minute long, so I wonder how much of it will be played in the actual show intro?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-29-2014, 04:53 PM
This USA Today interview with Sabine voice Tiya Sircar (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/04/29/star-wars-rebels-trailer-first-look/8462295/) mentions that a trailer for the series will debut online early Sunday morning and air that evening with The New Yoda Chronicles.

The article also includes a photo of stormtroopers (http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/f962ccd869c9283be948a3001c3cacb9ace83650/c=360-24-1792-1104&r=x383&c=540x380/local/-/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2014/04/29//1398801674000-REB-IA-2805.jpg) firing their blasters with what appears to be a group of Wookiees behind them. Maybe we'll see the Empire enslaving them, as they did in the EU?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-02-2014, 12:05 PM
I go over the details of the figures in this thread (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/48323-Fall-2014-Saga-Legends-and-Mission-Series-revealed?p=777877#post777877), but Sandtroopers.com posted a photo (http://www.sandtroopers.com/newspics/SWR_preview03.jpg) revealing some new characters for Rebels.

Cikatro Vizago is a yellow-skinned Devaronian. I wonder if they'll use some of the characterization for Villie here? His apparent partner IG-RM is a droid based on Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for IG-88 (hence the "RM"), which was previously turned into a Legacy Collection figure in 2009.

Wulffwarro and Kitwarr are Wookiees, with the former being large and bulky with the latter being more svelte. Since the photo from the show includes Wookiees in chains, it does indeed appear that we'll see the Empire enslaving or imprisoning at least a few Wookiees.

Also revealed here is the fact that Obi-Wan will appear in the series. So will R2-D2 and C-3PO, which we knew about. I wonder if the Rebels will visit Tatooine or something, or if Obi-Wan is out and a little more active in the galaxy? Obi-Wan could conceivably cross paths with R2-D2 – they could even explain why he doesn't remember owning a droid – but C-3PO could be a bit much.

Empire (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=40916) posted a short preview of the preview, since that's a thing that happens nowadays. Here's a low-quality capture (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma8wxQBBjNA) of the Good Morning America clip, showing Kanan wielding his lightsaber against some Imperials among other things.

In this Nerdist interview (http://www.nerdist.com/2014/04/dave-filoni-discusses-star-wars-rebels/), Dave Filoni discusses how the lightsabers will look more like the ones in ANH, with thinner blades that quiver a little. They also describe the Inquisitor like Sherlock Holmes:

N: One of the forces they’re going up against is the Inquisitor. Tell me more about him and creating a villain in this universe. It’s got to be a challenge.

DF: It’s always hard. It’s not just about giving someone a red lightsaber. You have to have such a good reason for doing it. And you have to figure out what makes them tick. To me, the Inquisitor, where he’s different is -maybe this is a big spoiler, you get two good ones today – he’s the kind of guy that can just look at you and from the way you stand, from the way you talk, he can tell where you’re from and what your tendencies are. He kind of analyzes you, takes things in, and knows how to defeat you.

N: So he’s rocking a little Sherlock.

DF: A lot like that. In swordplay, depending on how you counter him, he’ll know where you studied. He understands things. I find that Maul was a very physical villain. He would cut you down out of sheer ferocity. Vader is a villain who’s unique because he’s almost like this indifferent pillar of anger and fear and hate, and the only thing that breaks that is Luke, through love. He’s completely unique in that way. The Inquisitor is more in the intellectual realm. He’s a combatant, yes, but he’s actually somewhat elegant and he likes to dissect you down almost like a game because he’s learning. To him knowledge is power. The more he learns about you, the more he learns about how to defeat you and your friends. And that makes him a particularly nasty kind of spider to trap.
So I wonder if he's going to play a bit like Thrawn.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Hero Complex confirms (http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/star-wars-rebels-first-look-at-the-villainous-rebel-hunter-agent-kallus/) that David Oyelowo will be playing Agent Kallus. Oyelowo's involvement in Rebels and/or Episode VII has been rumored for quite a while now, but seeing as how he looks nothing like the character I think it's safe to say he won't be playing Kallus onscreen. Kallus' ANH-inspired '70s style mutton chops are awesome! We've seen the character with his helmet, but now we know that his sideburns match the helmet design. He's described as the Inquisitor's right-hand man and a member of the Imperial Security Bureau. This is Oyelowo's second Lucasfilm role, having played Lightning in Red Tails.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-15-2014, 06:13 PM
SPOILERS ahead...

The Visual Guide (https://twitter.com/TheWolfPackCCMM/status/489110923575963649/photo/1) shows Bail Organa's new design, which blends his PT look with the more utilitarian Alderaan designs of ANH. The guide mentions that he loans the droids to Imperial Governor Pryce on Lothal, so maybe they'll be used as Rebel spies?

Also, this image of Cikatro Vizago (http://jedi-bibliothek.de/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/CikatroVizago.jpg) has been floating around the Internet. He's a Devaronian who was first revealed via a Hasbro upcoming figure list. It's been mentioned that his name roughly translates from Spanish and French to "scar face," which is a cool way to do a nod without being overly obvious.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-15-2014, 09:06 PM
SPOILERS ahead...

Also, this image of Cikatro Vizago (http://jedi-bibliothek.de/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/CikatroVizago.jpg) has been floating around the Internet. He's a Devaronian who was first revealed via a Hasbro upcoming figure list. It's been mentioned that his name roughly translates from Spanish and French to "scar face," which is a cool way to do a nod without being overly obvious.Does he have a little friend? :hurt:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Entertainment Weekly confirms (http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/17/jason-isaacs-star-wars-rebels/) Jason Isaacs as the Inquisitor! He's best known as Lucius Malfoy from the Harry Potter films but has also done voice work for Avatar: The Last Airbender and other projects. The teaser also shows how the creators don't just want him to be a disposable villain or a carbon copy of Vader or Maul. Interestingly, he taps into the dark side but of course isn't considered a Sith.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Entertainment Weekly confirms (http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/17/jason-isaacs-star-wars-rebels/) Jason Isaacs as the Inquisitor! He's best known as Lucius Malfoy from the Harry Potter films but has also done voice work for Avatar: The Last Airbender and other projects. The teaser also shows how the creators don't just want him to be a disposable villain or a carbon copy of Vader or Maul. Interestingly, he taps into the dark side but of course isn't considered a Sith.Does he have two friends who hang around him? :tired: :o

El Chuxter
07-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Lucius, not Draco. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Lucius, not Draco. :pDoes he have a son? :mad:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Does he have a copy of the SW Rebels: The Visual Guide book? :)

But to avoid potential spoilers, I haven't even opened it yet; the cover looks great! :rolleyes: Guess I'll have to wait until fall to read it...

JediTricks
07-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Does he have an alternate life where his son lived and his wife died, and he visits each life when he goes to sleep?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-04-2014, 03:18 PM
This image (https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/10380518_331387373684559_7659669000691402786_o.jpg ) from the Rebels Facebook page shows Kanan's speeder. Notably, it includes references to Thall Joben, Jord Dusat, and the Zebulon Dak Speeder Corporation, all of which originated in the Droids cartoon. According to Wookieepedia, Joben and Dusat planned to work at the company after the events of their episodes, and this would seem to confirm that they did indeed go on to create technology for the company. I doubt we'll see these characters or hear these names in the show, but it's still a fun nod to the series. It's also funny that people in the comments are complaining about the EU going away without realizing that this is directly referencing the EU.

JediTricks
08-05-2014, 01:38 PM
So, what are the thoughts on the 7 minute preview?

I thought it looked really good, but I couldn't stand Ezra at all. Everybody else, everything else, it all worked really well, but Ezra's attitude was too heavy and I didn't really want to see him succeed so much as get left behind.

I still don't really get Zeb's accent choice, but this is definitely a post-TCW choice. It was nice to have more OT-era sound effects and music cues in this, and the McQuarrie screams at your face if you're at all familiar with it. Not everything made logical sense, the tower that Ezra was standing on was a notable one, but it generally all flowed well. I pity those aurebesh translator folks, they're going to have a hard time catching it all on this show.

El Chuxter
08-05-2014, 09:59 PM
It'd be awesome if they stated Ezra Bridger is the kid who gave Mace the canteen at the end of that [real] Clone Wars episode. :)

JediTricks
08-06-2014, 01:37 PM
It'd be awesome if they stated Ezra Bridger is the kid who gave Mace the canteen at the end of that [real] Clone Wars episode. :)You lost me on that whole reference.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-06-2014, 04:44 PM
You lost me on that whole reference.

He's referring to Paxi Sylo of the "Thanks, mean Joe!" reference, when Mace takes the kid's water bottle after single-handedly decimating a droid army in the CW microseries. But Rebels takes place 14 years after ROTS, so that wouldn't line up even if the Tartakovsky toon was considered canon.

Anyway, I just realized that a skywalk is technically a sort of bridge – so I wonder if Ezra Bridger was named after Luke Skywalker. They already share the Biblical first names, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Anyway, I just realized that a skywalk is technically a sort of bridge – so I wonder if Ezra Bridger was named after Luke Skywalker. They already share the Biblical first names, so I wouldn't be surprised.So you're saying when they get married and have a child, they'll name it Habakkuk? :o

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Nothing too earth-shattering or new, but here are Slashfilm's interviews with Dave Filoni (http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-rebels-interview-dave-filoni/) and Simon Kinberg (http://www.slashfilm.com/simon-kinberg-star-wars-rebels-interview/).

JediTricks
08-08-2014, 07:55 PM
He's referring to Paxi Sylo of the "Thanks, mean Joe!" reference, when Mace takes the kid's water bottle after single-handedly decimating a droid army in the CW microseries. But Rebels takes place 14 years after ROTS, so that wouldn't line up even if the Tartakovsky toon was considered canon.Oh, right, that was... yeah.

In that Filoni interview, I hope there's something building, I don't want to watch the Ghost crew do the same stuff over and over for 5 years only to get snuffed out so they don't step on anything in ANH. The Rebels eventually become an alliance, it seems like that's not in store for this show's crew though, based on Filoni's take.

If the focus is just on Ezra, well, that's a shame because so far he has really driven me away from my interest in this, those first 7 minutes were all great except for just about everything Ezra did and said.

Hmm, Filoni's take on Kanan's training is vastly different from what I got out of John Jackson Miller's interpretation, although there is still wiggle room.

Kinberg's interview leaves me feeling like he's very "hollywood" about it, he uses the claim of being a fan to talk about canon but the rest sounds more like standard hollywood studio stuff and that he's a "professional fan", he brings up X-men nearly as much as he does Star Wars.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Yakface posted some photos from the Rebels Head-to-Head book (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152376746821799.1073741879.202559486798&type=3), and one of them revealed (SPOILERS ahead) ...

. . .

An RX-Series Pilot Droid!!! (https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10374430_10152376743011799_8201330493286338324_n.j pg?oh=9d31e87f56a4c2b80c15a9e68b024e74&oe=545ED06B&__gda__=1416027156_4a2434bb2229a5f0825a0321ff63002 b) This is simply amazing. Even though the revamped Star Tours takes place during this same time period and features the ACE pilot droid, RX droids are still seen in the queue, so it makes sense in that continuity. Either way, I'm so glad to see this here, even if it's just a brief cameo. I wonder if Paul Reubens will be doing the voice?

JediTricks
09-06-2014, 02:35 PM
A little mouse showed me evidence that the premiere will be pretty good and very OT, and the 3rd regular episode will be even better.

Darth Metalmute
09-08-2014, 06:55 PM
When does this start? I know that its on Disney XD.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2014, 09:32 PM
A little mouse showed me evidence that the premiere will be pretty good and very OT, and the 3rd regular episode will be even better.Mr. Jingles? NOW we'll really find out how Jedi become ghosts!

JediTricks
09-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Premiere is on Disney Channel on October 3rd, then it moves to Disney XD for the regular series on October 13th.

JediTricks
09-20-2014, 02:09 AM
A few weeks ago I was invited to an early screening of the premiere tv movie for Star Wars Rebels, along with one of the regular series episodes, hosted by showrunner Dave Filoni.

Here's my review of the premiere movie "Spark of Rebellion" and of the episode "Rise of the Old Masters":

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/09/19/star-wars-rebels-review-of-spark-of-rebellion-and-rise-of-the-old-masters/

I really enjoyed this show, the episode more than the movie even, but the movie too. While this is in the same style as The Clone Wars, that style has been toned down quite a bit and the characters are more a focus of the storytelling than a giant war. Also, this show is trying to reclaim that classic Star Wars trilogy feeling, it looks more like the original Star Wars saga and it sounds more like it and has more of that music and even "camera" style, not to mention more of the heart and the humor of the Original Trilogy. If The Clone Wars was the CGI cartoon from the Prequels, Rebels definitely wants to be the touchstone for the originals, and for me, that made it such a great experience.

It's also got that adventure, that heart of daring do. Yet it doesn't play the easy black and white game, there are intriguing shades of gray that our protagonists have to live in.

This is the Star Wars show that SW fans should be talking about, moreso even than TCW, because this really feels like a great way of keeping the spirit of the OT alive.

Maradona
09-20-2014, 02:44 PM
A few weeks ago I was invited to an early screening of the premiere tv movie for Star Wars Rebels, along with one of the regular series episodes, hosted by showrunner Dave Filoni.

Here's my review of the premiere movie "Spark of Rebellion" and of the episode "Rise of the Old Masters":

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/09/19/star-wars-rebels-review-of-spark-of-rebellion-and-rise-of-the-old-masters/

I really enjoyed this show, the episode more than the movie even, but the movie too. While this is in the same style as The Clone Wars, that style has been toned down quite a bit and the characters are more a focus of the storytelling than a giant war. Also, this show is trying to reclaim that classic Star Wars trilogy feeling, it looks more like the original Star Wars saga and it sounds more like it and has more of that music and even "camera" style, not to mention more of the heart and the humor of the Original Trilogy. If The Clone Wars was the CGI cartoon from the Prequels, Rebels definitely wants to be the touchstone for the originals, and for me, that made it such a great experience.

It's also got that adventure, that heart of daring do. Yet it doesn't play the easy black and white game, there are intriguing shades of gray that our protagonists have to live in.

This is the Star Wars show that SW fans should be talking about, moreso even than TCW, because this really feels like a great way of keeping the spirit of the OT alive.

Strong review, JT. Really looking forward to the show.

JediTricks
09-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Thank you, that means a lot coming from you. I wasn't sure if I was looking forward to it at first, but now I am in that same boat, this is a Star Wars series I want to watch a lot of.

You have DisneyXD in HD, right? I think your channels are the same as mine, and this show is really good to look at.

Something I didn't get into the review... actually, let's just do both things I didn't get into my review:

- "Star Wars Rebels isn't just a Clone" :p I emailed myself that at 1:44am after I finished the review. It seemed too corny to include in the review, but I didn't mean it as a joke, the series is not just a retread of The Clone Wars, so in the review I got the message across without the phrase.

- Because our heroes aren't part of any alliance (yet? I am hoping that comes into play in later seasons, start small and grow larger), the series feels just a little bit like The A-Team in a Galaxy Far, Far Away... I don't want that to be a negative, but I knew it wouldn't read well. The episodes I saw felt a bit like The A-Team though, helping people who needed help, living on the outskirts of society, outsmarting the big bad government that's chasing them. Plus, the Ghost is at least as cool as B.A.'s van, which I guess makes the Phantom act as Face's Corvette - hmm, that's not right.

Oh, a note on the Phantom, when you see it in the series after in unfurls its wings, the connection to the Imperial Shuttle is much, much closer than any images or the toys had been up until now, and I smiled very big when it started flying like the Tyderium a little bit.

Maradona
09-21-2014, 03:47 AM
A-Team in space?!? I'm soooooooo in for this series.

El Chuxter
09-21-2014, 02:06 PM
I hope not.

If the show's as good as you say, well, let's just say the A-Team feel of Renegades didn't exactly get it viewers.

Wait, comparing apples and gorillas. :)

JediTricks
09-22-2014, 06:05 PM
A-Team in space?!? I'm soooooooo in for this series.That's what I'm talkin' about!

I hope not.

If the show's as good as you say, well, let's just say the A-Team feel of Renegades didn't exactly get it viewers.

Wait, comparing apples and gorillas. :)The difference here is, as you said, different. :p These heroes aren't our core characters, this isn't Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, and Roadblock (or Luke, Leia, Han, and Chewie... that worked a little too well) and Rebels isn't redefining the Empire to be more successful than it had been previously. Renegades rewrote the rules for GI Joe, Rebels is working within the existing rules for Star Wars.

Also, Renegades launched on The Hub which had no viewers and no exposure. Disney XD has an audience.

bigbarada
09-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Sounds like Rebels is going to be worth watching. From the shorts I've seen on the Star Wars website, it looks like a fun show. I wonder if it will be available on iTunes like Clone Wars was. Even if it isn't, I'm sure there will be somewhere online where I can watch each new episode as they come out.

Anyways, I really tried to get into Clone Wars several times over the years, but the show really lost me when they started getting into all the Force mysticism stuff. I've always found the Force to be one of the least interesting aspects of Star Wars, so I'm hoping that Rebels focuses more on the adventure and the lightsaber duels are few and far between.

JediTricks
09-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Rebels will be available for purchase on iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon video; as well as for free on WatchDisneyXD.com if you have a provider who has a deal with them (I don't, stupid Time Warner; Dish and Comcast do among others though).

The balance of the Force stuff to the non-Force stuff seemed very much like the OT, it's here and it's a notable focus for Kanan and Ezra, but it's pretty centered and has an appropriate place, not overwhelming or overly mystical.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-23-2014, 07:48 PM
As I mentioned to you before, JT, nice work on the review. I'm glad you liked the show.

My roommates' Apple TV has a Disney Channel and Disney XD app, so presumably it will be on there so I can stream it. If not, I'll mirror a computer to the TV.

Anyways, I really tried to get into Clone Wars several times over the years, but the show really lost me when they started getting into all the Force mysticism stuff. I've always found the Force to be one of the least interesting aspects of Star Wars, so I'm hoping that Rebels focuses more on the adventure and the lightsaber duels are few and far between.

That was pretty much confined to two arcs, one in Season Three and one in Season Six. Part of what I thought was great about TCW was its willingness to have completely different kinds of episodes dealing with different topics and characters – if you don't like one, just wait a few episodes and you might luck out. It'll be interesting to see how Rebels differs as the plan is to stick with the Ghost crew for the entirety of the series.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Channel 292 is the place for me, then.

Does this mean that Miley, Selena, Christina, Brittney, Justin, and Lindsey will make voice cameos? :DisneyRebels:

bigbarada
09-24-2014, 01:17 AM
That was pretty much confined to two arcs, one in Season Three and one in Season Six. Part of what I thought was great about TCW was its willingness to have completely different kinds of episodes dealing with different topics and characters – if you don't like one, just wait a few episodes and you might luck out. It'll be interesting to see how Rebels differs as the plan is to stick with the Ghost crew for the entirety of the series.

I was optimistic about the show in season 1, even went to the theater to watch the pilot episode (it was opening night and there were like 3 people in the theater). I liked the pilot for the most part, but never really took the time to watch any of the other episodes from season 1. When season 2 rolled around, I was happy to see Bossk return, so that piqued my interest a bit. I also really liked the episodes with the Trandoshan hunters from season 3, it's just too bad that we never got any action figures of any of those guys. I actually bought that entire season on DVD and, if I remember correctly, it was also the season with the "Mortis" episodes. It was a real struggle to try to get through those episodes on the DVD. It felt like homework. I was slightly intrigued by the introduction of Savage Opress in season 4, so I watched a couple of those episodes, but the return of Darth Maul caused me to just drop the series entirely. I don't think I've seen a single episode from seasons 5 or 6.

Anyways, back to Rebels, is it just me or do there seem to be no references to anything Prequel related at all? I'm starting to wonder if Disney plans to quietly bury the Prequels and pretend that they never happened. I'd be fine with that. Just excise them from the continuity and be done with it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Anyways, back to Rebels, is it just me or do there seem to be no references to anything Prequel related at all? I'm starting to wonder if Disney plans to quietly bury the Prequels and pretend that they never happened. I'd be fine with that. Just excise them from the continuity and be done with it.

Lucasfilm clarified pretty strongly that all six films and The Clone Wars are the canon, as set by George Lucas. They might not be referenced as much, but that's simply by virtue of the show taking place closer to the OT and the new movies taking place way later. They're still part of the continuity and that's not going to change. As far as Rebels is concerned, The Inquisitor is from Utapau, Kanan survived Order 66, and SPOILERS AHOY Bail Organa, Luminara Unduli, and ROTS-era Obi-Wan will be making appearances,

El Chuxter
09-24-2014, 10:03 AM
Luminara?

Okay, that woman officially has one of the most messed-up backstories of all.

Force Unleashed is totally out? Too bad; even though it was a nightmare to fit into the old EU, it was a pretty good story for a game and recent enough that I'm surprised they chucked it.

And they will never, ever convince me the Ewoks movies aren't canon. They're higher than the actual movies IMHO.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-27-2014, 10:55 AM
The premiere is now up on the Watch Disney XD app, which is available on Apple TV, tablets, and presumably elsewhere.

I watched it last night, and it's pretty awesome. Honestly, my biggest complaint is that I feel like I've already seen it due to the trailers.

I wasn't sure about the animation from what I'd seen, but it really looks absolutely beautiful. The team clearly took everything they learned in six or so years of TCW and was able to hit the ground running. The characters are far less angular than TCW, and move a little more cartoonishly than the realistic TCW movement. The painterly look that they strove to achieve there is already obvious here, particularly in the clouds, though it's even the characters' faces appear to have a stippling paint brush effect on them. The Ralph McQuarrie influence is very strong.

While the individual characters are clearly inspired by classic SW characters, they're different enough to feel unique and not too derivative. The premiere sets them all up nicely as they interact with Ezra, the POV character, but there is still plenty left unsaid about each of them. They all have their grudges against the Empire – Kanan's is the only one we really know about, and that's mainly due to A New Dawn. They're all interesting enough that you'll want to learn more about them.

The sound design, as per usual, was perfect, sprinkling in familiar sounds like the Imperial walkers and speeder bikes. Perhaps my favorite touch was that the voice of Wookiee child Kitwarr is clearly based on Lumpy from the Holiday Special. :D

I think old-school SW fans should dig this show, even ones who couldn't get onboard with TCW. It's definitely worth checking out. The team clearly loves SW and knows what they're doing.

Luminara?

Okay, that woman officially has one of the most messed-up backstories of all.

Force Unleashed is totally out? Too bad; even though it was a nightmare to fit into the old EU, it was a pretty good story for a game and recent enough that I'm surprised they chucked it.

And they will never, ever convince me the Ewoks movies aren't canon. They're higher than the actual movies IMHO.

Luminara wasn't in TFU. In the comics (and a ROTS deleted scene), she died on Kashyyyk during Order 66. Still not sure how both she and Yoda managed to survive there, but maybe he helped her offscreen. You might be thinking of Shaak Ti, who was supposed to die on the Invisible Hand, then supposed to die in the Jedi Temple, then supposed to die on Felucia in TFU. Yoda envisions several Jedi's deaths in TCW Season Six, with Shaak Ti dying by Anakin's hand as one of them, though many other aspects of his visions happened differently. But yes, TFU is gone. Already the rebels are using an early version of the starbird logo, meaning the Rebel Alliance logo is not Galen Marek's family crest. They'll undoubtedly include elements from the EU, but only the films and TCW are canon from the pre-Disney days.

JediTricks
09-27-2014, 01:44 PM
As I mentioned to you before, JT, nice work on the review. I'm glad you liked the show.Oh yeah, you haven't publicly posted on this yet, only in email! Thanks for the feedback and comments on the review.

I was optimistic about the show in season 1, even went to the theater to watch the pilot episode (it was opening night and there were like 3 people in the theater). I liked the pilot for the most part, but never really took the time to watch any of the other episodes from season 1. When season 2 rolled around, I was happy to see Bossk return, so that piqued my interest a bit. I also really liked the episodes with the Trandoshan hunters from season 3, it's just too bad that we never got any action figures of any of those guys. I actually bought that entire season on DVD and, if I remember correctly, it was also the season with the "Mortis" episodes. It was a real struggle to try to get through those episodes on the DVD. It felt like homework. I was slightly intrigued by the introduction of Savage Opress in season 4, so I watched a couple of those episodes, but the return of Darth Maul caused me to just drop the series entirely. I don't think I've seen a single episode from seasons 5 or 6.

Anyways, back to Rebels, is it just me or do there seem to be no references to anything Prequel related at all? I'm starting to wonder if Disney plans to quietly bury the Prequels and pretend that they never happened. I'd be fine with that. Just excise them from the continuity and be done with it.Season 1 had some pretty good episodes, the one with Yoda, "Ambush", and "Rookies" really hit home nicely; I liked the movie too, although I waited for it to air on tv. It is worth cherry-picking at the very least

Rebels doesn't shy away from prequel-related stuff, there are references since it is only 14 years in its past, but the Clone Wars is not the central focus, this show isn't actively trying to court those viewers to bridge them, it's much more an OT show. But the prequels are canon.

The premiere is now up on the Watch Disney XD app, which is available on Apple TV, tablets, and presumably elsewhere.

I watched it last night, and it's pretty awesome. Honestly, my biggest complaint is that I feel like I've already seen it due to the trailers.

I wasn't sure about the animation from what I'd seen, but it really looks absolutely beautiful. The team clearly took everything they learned in six or so years of TCW and was able to hit the ground running. The characters are far less angular than TCW, and move a little more cartoonishly than the realistic TCW movement. The painterly look that they strove to achieve there is already obvious here, particularly in the clouds, though it's even the characters' faces appear to have a stippling paint brush effect on them. The Ralph McQuarrie influence is very strong.

While the individual characters are clearly inspired by classic SW characters, they're different enough to feel unique and not too derivative. The premiere sets them all up nicely as they interact with Ezra, the POV character, but there is still plenty left unsaid about each of them. They all have their grudges against the Empire – Kanan's is the only one we really know about, and that's mainly due to A New Dawn. They're all interesting enough that you'll want to learn more about them.

The sound design, as per usual, was perfect, sprinkling in familiar sounds like the Imperial walkers and speeder bikes. Perhaps my favorite touch was that the voice of Wookiee child Kitwarr is clearly based on Lumpy from the Holiday Special. :D

I think old-school SW fans should dig this show, even ones who couldn't get onboard with TCW. It's definitely worth checking out. The team clearly loves SW and knows what they're doing.Excellent, glad you got to see it! I was surprised to see that news of the show coming on 3 days even earlier than planned for the app and the website.

It's funny, on the painting, they clearly have taken great strides forward, and yet they created this drab-color universe to live in because they want to stick closer to the OT.

I didn't notice that Kitwarr's voice was based on Lumpy, I will watch for that, that's pretty funny - I noticed it was childlike but didn't connect it.

El Chuxter
09-27-2014, 02:18 PM
So the Holiday Special is still canon? lol

El Chuxter
10-04-2014, 08:47 AM
I was rather surprised. Both kids loved it, and so did I.

I've finally decided to take a "Transformers G1 continuity" approach with Star Wars and the EU, realizing the firm timeline is no longer an option, so there's nothing in the back of my mind screaming that this contradicts everything before, and that probably helps. lol

Maradona
10-04-2014, 08:57 AM
This episode felt and sounded more like Star Wars than anything in the prequels or in Clone Wars - cemented for me by the explanation of the Force. I'm really excited for this series now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-04-2014, 01:44 PM
The next episode, Droids in Distress, is now streaming on the Watch Disney XD app. SPOILERS follow.

This is the one with R2-D2 and C-3PO. They seem to be on a translating mission with the Imperial governor of Lothal, but were truly tasked by Bail Organa to get information on the Rebels.

Guest voices include Anthony Daniels, as always; Phil LaMarr, reprising his TCW role of Bail Organa; and most importantly, PAUL REUBENS AS RX-24!!!!! He's a more subdued model, but as a huge fan of Star Tours and Pee-wee Herman, I'm so glad that he showed up here.

It seems that Zeb was forced by the Empire to help kill his people when they overtook his planet, Lasan, which is pretty gruesome.

The Senate was mentioned but not seen, similar to the premiere's mention of Tarkin. We also got to spend a few moments aboard the Tantive IV at the end, with Bail crouching to put a disc into Artoo very similar to how Leia did in ANH. It would be cool to see a follow-up with Bail and the droids again. I wonder how Bail even heard about the Rebels – perhaps some Bothan spies? Maybe he'll eventually fold the Ghost crew into his own Rebel workings. Interesting that he's on the lookout for dissidents, at least.

This episode hit many of the same beats as the premiere, so hopefully it will branch out more in the future. Still no in-person Inquisitor, which is a nice way to build him up a bit more.

JediTricks
10-04-2014, 02:27 PM
I was rather surprised. Both kids loved it, and so did I.

I've finally decided to take a "Transformers G1 continuity" approach with Star Wars and the EU, realizing the firm timeline is no longer an option, so there's nothing in the back of my mind screaming that this contradicts everything before, and that probably helps. lolGlad to hear you guys enjoyed it.

G1 continuity, Marvel or cartoon? AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

This episode felt and sounded more like Star Wars than anything in the prequels or in Clone Wars - cemented for me by the explanation of the Force. I'm really excited for this series now.Excellently put! I really hope more Star Wars fans find this show, because I think they'll all feel the way you do there.

The next episode, Droids in Distress, is now streaming on the Watch Disney XD app. SPOILERS follow.

This is the one with R2-D2 and C-3PO. They seem to be on a translating mission with the Imperial governor of Lothal, but were truly tasked by Bail Organa to get information on the Rebels.

Guest voices include Anthony Daniels, as always; Phil LaMarr, reprising his TCW role of Bail Organa; and most importantly, PAUL REUBENS AS RX-24!!!!! He's a more subdued model, but as a huge fan of Star Tours and Pee-wee Herman, I'm so glad that he showed up here.

It seems that Zeb was forced by the Empire to help kill his people when they overtook his planet, Lasan, which is pretty gruesome.

The Senate was mentioned but not seen, similar to the premiere's mention of Tarkin. We also got to spend a few moments aboard the Tantive IV at the end, with Bail crouching to put a disc into Artoo very similar to how Leia did in ANH. It would be cool to see a follow-up with Bail and the droids again. I wonder how Bail even heard about the Rebels – perhaps some Bothan spies? Maybe he'll eventually fold the Ghost crew into his own Rebel workings. Interesting that he's on the lookout for dissidents, at least.

This episode hit many of the same beats as the premiere, so hopefully it will branch out more in the future. Still no in-person Inquisitor, which is a nice way to build him up a bit more.Eeeeeeeeeeee! Stupid Time Warner not getting on Disney XD! That episode is almost 3 weeks away!

Lothal again, huh?

Pee Wee as Captain Rex? Awesome!!!!

Whoa, Zeb's backstory is dark! That fits with his actions in the premiere though.

Seems like these first episodes are all reinforcing something from the pilot, so it will be nice to see them start to build up from there soon. At least they didn't go the opposite way and deconstruct it all, I hate when sophomore episodes do that.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-04-2014, 04:29 PM
I loved all the SW references that were subtle and obvious: the "not my fault" line, the Wilhelm scream, the dejarik table, the Death Star construction interiors, trooper names, "a new hope" mentioned. I suppose I expected the holocron part once it appeared in the plot. Will they be 30-minute shows, with this as a special 1-hour premiere? If this is the way E7 goes, I have new faith in Disney as the SW license holder.

But...

I WANT THE SOUNDTRACK! Why won't they release new music? It's really good, and it made the episode much, much better. CW was pretty good for background music, but after just one episode, this one is parsecs stronger. Do you think Disney will sell it; as they sell everything else? Or should I just "let it go"?

Darth Metalmute
10-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Watched it this morning and loved it. Immediately cared about all the characters, although the kids a tad annoying. The crew is perfectly done. Music was done so perfectly, I got chills. Only had two issues, both visual. The wookies looked terrible. The elongated "neck" on the Star Destroyer as well.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Only had two issues, both visual. The wookies looked terrible. The elongated "neck" on the Star Destroyer as well.I agree about the Wookiees; and man, the ability to escape, enter, and exit a Star Destroyer sure was easy before ANH! Those TIE fighters reminded me of Battle Droids; too easy to get rid of and just all over the place.

JediTricks
10-04-2014, 08:47 PM
I loved all the SW references that were subtle and obvious: the "not my fault" line, the Wilhelm scream, the dejarik table, the Death Star construction interiors, trooper names, "a new hope" mentioned. I suppose I expected the holocron part once it appeared in the plot. Will they be 30-minute shows, with this as a special 1-hour premiere? If this is the way E7 goes, I have new faith in Disney as the SW license holder.

But...

I WANT THE SOUNDTRACK! Why won't they release new music? It's really good, and it made the episode much, much better. CW was pretty good for background music, but after just one episode, this one is parsecs stronger. Do you think Disney will sell it; as they sell everything else? Or should I just "let it go"?Glad to hear you liked it. They'll be 30 minute episodes from now on, and I think they mentioned not doing too many multi-episode storylines so as to avoid some of the accessibility issues they had on Clone Wars.

They might release the soundtrack, but it'd help if there was demand. I would expect that to happen at the end of the season though, not this early.

Watched it this morning and loved it. Immediately cared about all the characters, although the kids a tad annoying. The crew is perfectly done. Music was done so perfectly, I got chills. Only had two issues, both visual. The wookies looked terrible. The elongated "neck" on the Star Destroyer as well.That's great! I do agree that Ezra is a tad annoying, but unlike Ahsoka, I found Ezra more accessible and rounded so I mostly forgave it... mostly. ;)

I'm seeing lots of complaints on the art for the Wookiees. I'll keep an eye out for the neck on the Star Destroyer, but keep in mind that it could be a slightly earlier model - although that's a cheat.

I agree about the Wookiees; and man, the ability to escape, enter, and exit a Star Destroyer sure was easy before ANH! Those TIE fighters reminded me of Battle Droids; too easy to get rid of and just all over the place.I almost put the issue of getting into that Star Destroyer into my review, but ultimately felt that the way they got in and got out quickly at least handwaved over the issue enough to move the story along. TIE Fighters, have they ever been effective anywhere?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-04-2014, 09:31 PM
They might release the soundtrack, but it'd help if there was demand. I would expect that to happen at the end of the season though, not this early.

I almost put the issue of getting into that Star Destroyer into my review, but ultimately felt that the way they got in and got out quickly at least handwaved over the issue enough to move the story along. TIE Fighters, have they ever been effective anywhere?True, I wouldn't expect it yet, but can I reasonably expect it at ALL? :(

A TIE Fighter that appears to be about 40-100 feet from a slower speeder can't blow it up with its lasers? Even stormtroopers got closer with their misses! :p

LTBasker
10-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Absolutely couldn't stand the CGI Clone Wars series, but absolutely enjoyed Rebels. I'm still wary of the slapstick with the little droid upcoming from the first clip revealed last year, but I'm having confidence that it won't be the main staple of droid scenes (unlike any CW scene I ever saw involving a Battle Droid). It's always astonishing when a kid character isn't annoying when being introduced to new environments, OR annoyingly too capable with adapting. As Maradona said, this felt like Star Wars and I had absolutely no expectations for that to happen.

I pretty much echo other complaints: the Wookiees looked horrible. I'm sure it kept cost down, but they looked too much like Wookiee action figures that their scenes may as well have been done by Robot Chicken. However, in contradiction to that, I thought the child Wookiee was really cute simply because he looked like the original Kenner Chewbacca.

Also my Dark Forces fandom really wants to have a problem with the Jedi (I haven't memorized their names) looking and practically being a Kyle Katarn ripoff, buuut so far he's come off as too reasonable yet capable a character to not like.

My only other complaint is similar with the Star Destroyer boarding, but it's based more on my confusion with it. Before they showed them on board I thought it was pretty clever writing that the Imperials thought the kid's escape meant that somehow the others had returned, and then the Rebels cast would manage to use the benefit of an already distracted crew to be able to realistically (using that term loosely) board the Destroyer. So, I was very confused when it turned out that, yeah, they really had somehow managed to just land their ship without incident. It almost came across as though there WAS something more meant to happen there but it had to be condensed for time.

Snowtrooper
10-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Caught the first episode last friday. I was pretty impressed. I had thought that it might end up being too childish for my liking, but it really wasn't. Even though its ultimately a kids show, it has something for both adults and kids to enjoy. I really enjoyed seeing stormtroopers and tie fighters in action again.:single_eye:

bigbarada
10-06-2014, 01:53 AM
I went ahead and bought the season pass on iTunes for Rebels and watched the premiere this morning. I really enjoyed it. A lot, actually. When I used to watch episodes of Clone Wars, I'd usually get bored halfway through and have to find things to do to keep my interest until the episode was over (like doodling on a piece of scrap paper or surfing the internet); but this story kept me enthralled the entire time. Really looking forward to the second episode.

Honestly, if this is what we can expect from Disney, then I think that George Lucas' departure from the franchise is probably the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars.

Darth Metalmute
10-06-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm seeing lots of complaints on the art for the Wookiees. I'll keep an eye out for the neck on the Star Destroyer, but keep in mind that it could be a slightly earlier model - although that's a cheat.

Here's a comparison of the two.2849828497

I really enjoyed the banter between Kanus and Hera. Their first interaction was done perfectly as to show no back story needed telling.

JediTricks
10-07-2014, 02:02 AM
Droids in Distress is currently available on itunes for free:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/droids-in-distress/id920938545

I just finished it and really enjoyed it, there were a lot of laughs and smiles on my face throughout. I do see what JabbaJohn means by some of the same beats being hit again, the last third of the episode definitely covers some territory we've done already, but we did get a character moment from Zeb during it. I would put this on the same grade level as the premiere but with better punch to the ending, and I agree that I hope to see it branch out a little in the future from those same sorts of engagements.

True, I wouldn't expect it yet, but can I reasonably expect it at ALL? :(

A TIE Fighter that appears to be about 40-100 feet from a slower speeder can't blow it up with its lasers? Even stormtroopers got closer with their misses! :pI have no idea if they will or won't at this point, I couldn't say, this is Disney's first opportunity with this sort of thing, but we can certainly keep talking about it and try to push more interest. My instinct is a truncated release will come because it's such an easy thing to do.

TIE Fighters could barely hit the Millennium Falcon in open space, much less a tiny target in atmo.

Absolutely couldn't stand the CGI Clone Wars series, but absolutely enjoyed Rebels. I'm still wary of the slapstick with the little droid upcoming from the first clip revealed last year, but I'm having confidence that it won't be the main staple of droid scenes (unlike any CW scene I ever saw involving a Battle Droid). It's always astonishing when a kid character isn't annoying when being introduced to new environments, OR annoyingly too capable with adapting. As Maradona said, this felt like Star Wars and I had absolutely no expectations for that to happen.

I pretty much echo other complaints: the Wookiees looked horrible. I'm sure it kept cost down, but they looked too much like Wookiee action figures that their scenes may as well have been done by Robot Chicken. However, in contradiction to that, I thought the child Wookiee was really cute simply because he looked like the original Kenner Chewbacca.

Also my Dark Forces fandom really wants to have a problem with the Jedi (I haven't memorized their names) looking and practically being a Kyle Katarn ripoff, buuut so far he's come off as too reasonable yet capable a character to not like.Glad you're enjoying it and also getting that Star Wars feeling. Chopper definitely goes back and forth with the type of humor, sometimes it's slapsticky and sometimes it's attitude-based, I've enjoyed his attitude material so far - there's a moment in the 2nd episode where he's poking Ezra over and over that got a laugh out of me.

HA! Kanan Jarrus does have a bit of Kyle Katarn's single-arm armor and the facial hair, I hadn't thought about it. Seeing the pics together, they're not as similar, but I get what you're saying.

Caught the first episode last friday. I was pretty impressed. I had thought that it might end up being too childish for my liking, but it really wasn't. Even though its ultimately a kids show, it has something for both adults and kids to enjoy. I really enjoyed seeing stormtroopers and tie fighters in action again.:single_eye:That's great, and yeah, it is something special to see the Imps back in action.

I went ahead and bought the season pass on iTunes for Rebels and watched the premiere this morning. I really enjoyed it. A lot, actually. When I used to watch episodes of Clone Wars, I'd usually get bored halfway through and have to find things to do to keep my interest until the episode was over (like doodling on a piece of scrap paper or surfing the internet); but this story kept me enthralled the entire time. Really looking forward to the second episode.

Honestly, if this is what we can expect from Disney, then I think that George Lucas' departure from the franchise is probably the best thing to ever happen to Star Wars.Wow, fantastic! That says a lot. Your season pass should allow you to view Droids in Distress now, and I suspect it'll also hold your attention. I think it helps that this show keeps the cast small, it keeps the story focused, there's not a million clones to keep track of, not a ton of political nuances to have to sit through.

Here's a comparison of the two.2849828497

I really enjoyed the banter between Kanus and Hera. Their first interaction was done perfectly as to show no back story needed telling.Ha! Yeah, great point, that is way overkill on the neck. I'll mentally chalk that up to "earlier Star Destroyer" but stylistically it is pretty much ridiculous.

That's cool you're digging Kanan and Hera, I got attached to each of them after reading A New Dawn and am waiting for Hera's drive to rebel to show up on the series, so I'm always looking out for folks to talk to about each of them. There was a line between them in the 2nd episode that surprised me which I won't spoil, but it could be simpler than I expected.

bigbarada
10-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Wow, fantastic! That says a lot. Your season pass should allow you to view Droids in Distress now, and I suspect it'll also hold your attention. I think it helps that this show keeps the cast small, it keeps the story focused, there's not a million clones to keep track of, not a ton of political nuances to have to sit through.

I watched the second episode last night on iTunes. I was pleasantly surprised by how they worked C-3PO and R2-D2 into the story. Totally not what I was expecting and that's a good thing. This episode also seemed to fly by and I didn't really want it to end.

Also good to hear a bit of Zeb's backstory; but I hope we get more details soon. My guess is that they are going to touch on the backstory for each character, then start doing dedicated episodes that really flesh out each character's origin after that.

One minor complaint that I had about the episode was with Zeb and Agent Kallus' fight. Both of them moved a little bit too quickly and nimbly during the fight. It's like everybody in the Star Wars universe is Spider-Man. If Zeb was really fighting out of anger, then his movements should have been a lot more sloppy and clumsy. I understand the difficulty in choreographing a fight that looks completely unchoreographed, but hopefully they'll tone that kind of thing down a bit in the future. If not, then I'll just have to keep reminding myself that I'm watching a Disney cartoon and the violence needs to be stylized to keep from scaring children… or something like that (if I like a show enough, then I'm okay with rationalizing a few things here and there).

Still the same problem at the end of episode 2 that I had with the pilot. I wanted to rush off to the store to buy Rebels action figures, but there's nothing around here for sale from Hasbro. Jakks Pacific and Lego managed to get some merchandise on store shelves in time for this show, so I wonder what Hasbro's major malfunction is?

Darth Metalmute
10-07-2014, 07:28 PM
That's cool you're digging Kanan and Hera, I got attached to each of them after reading A New Dawn and am waiting for Hera's drive to rebel to show up on the series, so I'm always looking out for folks to talk to about each of them. There was a line between them in the 2nd episode that surprised me which I won't spoil, but it could be simpler than I expected.

I'll have to get that book.

Normally, when you meet characters for the first time, especially when your thrown into the show with no introduction, it's tough to understand the relationship between the two. However, this was seamlessly done, just like it was done between Han and Chewie in ANH.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Also my Dark Forces fandom really wants to have a problem with the Jedi (I haven't memorized their names) looking and practically being a Kyle Katarn ripoff, buuut so far he's come off as too reasonable yet capable a character to not like.Don't worry, with no more EU anymore, no one can plagiarize what doesn't exist/never existed.

But the storyline in the novel (if I ever get to finish it :( ) seems a good background source for the TV show.

El Chuxter
10-07-2014, 10:22 PM
I got more of a Mal Reynolds vibe (minus the sexual tension with Inara, obviously) from Kanan.

Which is interesting, since it's no secret Mal was based on Han.

DarthQuack
10-10-2014, 12:37 AM
I really enjoyed the first episode so far. Hoping to keep up with it instead of falling behind like I did with The Clone Wars.

Lord Malakite
10-10-2014, 05:15 PM
So who is catching the first episode again on ABC for the added Darth Vader scene?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-10-2014, 07:43 PM
So who is catching the first episode again on ABC for the added Darth Vader scene?What, wha-?!? :confused: Is that related to the headline I saw of "James Earl Jones to Play Iconic Villain Again" online?

Darth Metalmute
10-10-2014, 08:35 PM
I watched the short, "Art Attack" for the first time yesterday. I really hope they change the stormtroopers voices in the real series. I don't remember them talking in the "movie" but voices in that short were really unappealing.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-10-2014, 10:04 PM
I watched the short, "Art Attack" for the first time yesterday. I really hope they change the stormtroopers voices in the real series. I don't remember them talking in the "movie" but voices in that short were really unappealing.

Those were the voices of Dave Filoni and Greg Weisman, the show's executive producers. It was done for fun, nothing more.

What, wha-?!? Is that related to the headline I saw of "James Earl Jones to Play Iconic Villain Again" online?
Too bad this website doesn't have a front page with news or anything. ;) :p

JediTricks
10-11-2014, 03:14 PM
One minor complaint that I had about the episode was with Zeb and Agent Kallus' fight. Both of them moved a little bit too quickly and nimbly during the fight. It's like everybody in the Star Wars universe is Spider-Man. If Zeb was really fighting out of anger, then his movements should have been a lot more sloppy and clumsy. I understand the difficulty in choreographing a fight that looks completely unchoreographed, but hopefully they'll tone that kind of thing down a bit in the future. If not, then I'll just have to keep reminding myself that I'm watching a Disney cartoon and the violence needs to be stylized to keep from scaring children… or something like that (if I like a show enough, then I'm okay with rationalizing a few things here and there).Agreed, the movements do need to be loosened up, that was asking too much. I can understand tightening up the fighting to show focus, but it really should be looser and fall apart as it goes on. Interesting rationalization though.

Still the same problem at the end of episode 2 that I had with the pilot. I wanted to rush off to the store to buy Rebels action figures, but there's nothing around here for sale from Hasbro. Jakks Pacific and Lego managed to get some merchandise on store shelves in time for this show, so I wonder what Hasbro's major malfunction is? TOTALLY the same problem here. Hasbro has so badly botched this launch that I'm actively frustrated when I think about it.

I'll have to get that book.

Normally, when you meet characters for the first time, especially when your thrown into the show with no introduction, it's tough to understand the relationship between the two. However, this was seamlessly done, just like it was done between Han and Chewie in ANH.Yeah, they nailed it with their back-and-forth on the show, you didn't need to wonder what was going on, it was right there.

The book is their first meeting, you get a lot of insight into Kanan, not as much into Hera, but how they end up working together is the whole point.

I got more of a Mal Reynolds vibe (minus the sexual tension with Inara, obviously) from Kanan.

Which is interesting, since it's no secret Mal was based on Han.Yeah, there is a Firefly vibe to this show, a small independent crew against a large government they never wanted and doesn't like them. Not the worst cycle of connections, Rebels to Firefly, Firefly to Star Wars.

So who is catching the first episode again on ABC for the added Darth Vader scene?I am, and am hoping the new scene works out.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Decent 2nd episode. It's amazing to see how slow that fighting became by ANH! :rolleyes: Best part for me was... REX!

JediTricks
10-14-2014, 12:59 AM
The original Captain Rex, yeah.

Lasats can move quickly and precisely, that I have only minor problem with, but it's the fact that Zeb was matched by a mere human, Kallus. Still, I just watched the episode on TV and it was such a small part of the episode, that rhythm is interrupted quickly by the mayhem that it speeds by. Even having seen the episode already, I found myself totally engaged and smiling the entire time.

The episode aired with a preview of what's happening for the rest of the season, just quick edits, but it seems as if the Empire has a plan to overrun the entire Outer Rim. If that's the case, then perhaps our heroes on the Ghost save Luke's day just by keeping the Imps from doing that. I think that could be asking a lot, but it could work too, especially with Bail Organa at the end of this episode showing a secret interest in these rebel friends.

Tycho
10-14-2014, 10:28 PM
I've really enjoyed Rebels so far. I am not bonded to the characters in the way that I am towards Anakin and Obi-Wan, but that could happen.

They really created a good cast for the crew and I am tempted to now collect Rebels action figures, but still feel the sting from Clone Wars and not getting all the characters I wanted.

But now there's a chance for an animated Bail Organa action figure!

I love the way they are bringing in Ralph McQuarrie's original designs, like the IG droids the Devaronian arms dealer has. I want a figure of him. Since Ville in the EU, I dig Devaronians.

Darth Metalmute
10-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Decent 2nd episode. It's amazing to see how slow that fighting became by ANH! :rolleyes: Best part for me was... REX!
Wait... what? did i miss something?

I enjoyed this episode, but could have done without Threepio. R2 was awesome as usual. Honestly though, isn't it too early for a "crossover"?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Wait... what? did i miss something?Pilot droid of the ST shuttle looked and sounded quite a bit like a certain Disney theme park ride character. :myfirstflight:

Darth Metalmute
10-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Pilot droid of the ST shuttle looked and sounded quite a bit like a certain Disney theme park ride character. :myfirstflight:

Ohhh. I though you were referring to Rex from Clone Wars.

I though that was the character from the old Star Tours ride, but didnt know his name. I thought transport looked like a version of the ride.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-16-2014, 09:03 PM
"Fighter Flight" is now available on the Watch Disney XD app. It's a fun episode and a very small, contained story.

A clip from this episode was first shown at SDCC, with Zeb piloting a stolen TIE Fighter. This makes up the central conflict of the episode. It's interesting to see that stealing a TIE Fighter is considered a big deal here, as I imagine that the stakes will only get higher as the series continues.

Ezra rescues some farmers who were friends of his parents'. You'd think that if his parents had friends around, some of them would have looked after him – maybe they did here and there but couldn't afford to raise him themselves.

Zeb and Ezra begin the episode by talking about how Ezra saved Zeb's life from Kallus, which happened at the end of "Droids in Distress." It's nice to see some continuity already, especially compared to TCW's jumping around in the timeline.

As we saw in early artwork, Sabine has graffiti of Cad Bane and Embo on her bedroom wall, a fun nod to TCW's bounty hunters. Maybe they'll show up here at some point.

IIRC, the Imperial Troop Transports have been shown on this series before, but here they get involved in an action sequence that even has shades of Raiders of the Lost Ark. They're used to destroy a farm, which is interesting since an old comic established that the Imperials used them to destroy the Lars homestead.

I also like how Ezra is a collector of Imperial helmets, joining Grievous as the second in-universe Star Wars collector. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
10-16-2014, 09:18 PM
I also like how Ezra is a collector of Imperial helmets, joining Grievous as the second in-universe Star Wars collector. :DAnd Jabba (carbon-frozen smugglers). And Jawas (droid parts). And Boba Fett (Wookiee pelts). And Emperor Sheev (Sith art and artifacts). And Obi-Wan (lightsabers). And Luke (old fossils).

Darth Metalmute
10-18-2014, 10:20 AM
If you ever want to know the history of the Sith, All you have to do is ask the website, "Ask Sheev''s".

Bel-Cam Jos
10-18-2014, 10:45 AM
If you ever want to know the history of the Sith, All you have to do is ask the website, "Ask Sheev''s".And every search result ends with "That's what Sheev said." (I think I just found a new sig line! )

Bel-Cam Jos
10-20-2014, 09:53 PM
This episode certainly doesn't follow "science" or "logic" all that much. :pleased: But it was sure fun! And I loved the Kenner toys, ur, Imperial Troop Transporters.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2014, 12:45 AM
The episodes are available a week early on the Watch Disney XD app, so I checked out "Rise of the Old Masters." Out of the episodes shown so far, I'd say this is my favorite.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

This is the episode that finally brings in The Inquisitor after his brief holographic introduction in "Spark of Rebellion." He's a chilling presence played with skeevy British charm by Jason Isaacs. He's been described as a Sherlock Holmes type, which we see from him deducting that Depa Billaba was Kanan's master based on Kanan favoring Form III combat. Even though the heroes escape, it was presented in a way that doesn't cheapen The Inquisitor. Who knows how long they can keep it up, but I definitely am interested in seeing more of him.

I was surprised to see Luminara's return in the SDCC preview, and equally surprised to see that she actually did die after all. The Inquisitor said she fell with the Republic, so it's possible that she died on Kashyyyk and was retrieved later. It seems they kept her dead body around so Jedi could sense her, but the mechanics of her appearance in the cell and on the hologram were confusing. Seeing her corpse was pretty damn morbid, especially if it's been rotting for 14 years.

The prison on Stygeon Prime was intended for use in the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir TCW arc, and it appears in the comic. I wouldn't be surprised if they developed a digital model for TCW and just reused it here –*it looked like the Lothal cat was a recolored TCW tooka, so clearly they aren't above reusing assets.

Oh, and the Weisman and Filoni troopers showed up here as guards to Luminara's cell, so evidently they weren't just confined to the shorts.

I also liked the Jedi training atop the Ghost, the awesome detachable Phantom ship, and the fact that creatures were trying to mate with it. :p

JediTricks
10-21-2014, 01:42 PM
I think Disney XD needs to cool it with the week-early releases of new episodes, it kills momentum when a significant portion of the audience has already seen it.

Ok, so let's talk about Fighter Flight first before we get to Rise of the Old Masters.

Fighter Flight - SW Rebels' first turkey of an episode. This was definitely the "hey kids, watch this fun show!" episode that pandered to the younger set and didn't give much ground to older fans, which is a shame because having a fun little adventure shouldn't have to compromise on a show like this. This story was dead simple, it didn't even have a B-plot, it was just Ezra and Zeb smashing around still on Lothal, doing things for the sake of doing them, and an underbaked goal of saving farmers who had been arrested by the Empire for not selling their farm went nowhere. There were a few smile moments but mostly it was just action scene after action scene without significant weight, many of which utterly refused to give their moments any time to breathe without another element stomping on them. The TIE Fighter theft was fun but didn't do anything rewarding enough with the idea, and for the central conceit of the episode that's quite a problem. Including the Kenner Imperial Troop Transport is apparently an ongoing idea, and it's a worthy one, but having the last act take place on top of them seemed like borrowing from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. And while I thought Sabine's mural was a stinker unworthy of the final result, the idea of her painting the TIE Pilot helmet reminded me of the Vader Project - where Lucasfilm and Master Replicas gave urban artists the chance to paint up Vader's helmet and display them on an exhibit. But overall, this was at best a "C" of an episode, not terrible but not great either.

The episodes are available a week early on the Watch Disney XD app, so I checked out "Rise of the Old Masters." Out of the episodes shown so far, I'd say this is my favorite.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

This is the episode that finally brings in The Inquisitor after his brief holographic introduction in "Spark of Rebellion." He's a chilling presence played with skeevy British charm by Jason Isaacs. He's been described as a Sherlock Holmes type, which we see from him deducting that Depa Billaba was Kanan's master based on Kanan favoring Form III combat. Even though the heroes escape, it was presented in a way that doesn't cheapen The Inquisitor. Who knows how long they can keep it up, but I definitely am interested in seeing more of him.

I was surprised to see Luminara's return in the SDCC preview, and equally surprised to see that she actually did die after all. The Inquisitor said she fell with the Republic, so it's possible that she died on Kashyyyk and was retrieved later. It seems they kept her dead body around so Jedi could sense her, but the mechanics of her appearance in the cell and on the hologram were confusing. Seeing her corpse was pretty damn morbid, especially if it's been rotting for 14 years.

The prison on Stygeon Prime was intended for use in the Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir TCW arc, and it appears in the comic. I wouldn't be surprised if they developed a digital model for TCW and just reused it here –*it looked like the Lothal cat was a recolored TCW tooka, so clearly they aren't above reusing assets.

Oh, and the Weisman and Filoni troopers showed up here as guards to Luminara's cell, so evidently they weren't just confined to the shorts.

I also liked the Jedi training atop the Ghost, the awesome detachable Phantom ship, and the fact that creatures were trying to mate with it. :pI hadn't considered the Inqiuisitor like Sherlock Holmes, but that fits well, and after seeing that episode I very much want an articulated figure of him with his spinning lightsaber of doom.

SPOILERS

Yeah, you can't be that surprised about Luminara's fate, I spoiled that for you when you helped me out with my review last month. ;) I do appreciate your advice on that though, and I'm glad I removed that from my final review.

I was also confused about why they kept her body around and what the deal was with the spectral image of her - hologram or trapped ghost or what? It worked in an ethereal way very well, but I agree that it was confusing. I was wondering if she wasn't quite dead, if she was basically on corpse life support, kept at the edge of death and that was her Force essence, it was unclear but in a way that didn't diminish from the episode.

Loved the Yoda-type training in upper atmosphere, that was such a new breath into an existing trope that I felt it better encapsulated Star Wars than all of the prequels combined - it was mystical yet using technology, and putting the learner at real risk.

Glad I'm not the only one into the Phantom, I gotta own that thing. Surprised the mating thing worked though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Ok, so let's talk about Fighter Flight first before we get to Rise of the Old Masters.
I'd be more inclined to do so if "Fighter Flight" were half as good as "Rise of the Old Masters." ;)

Fighter Flight - SW Rebels' first turkey of an episode. This was definitely the "hey kids, watch this fun show!" episode that pandered to the younger set and didn't give much ground to older fans, which is a shame because having a fun little adventure shouldn't have to compromise on a show like this. This story was dead simple, it didn't even have a B-plot, it was just Ezra and Zeb smashing around still on Lothal, doing things for the sake of doing them, and an underbaked goal of saving farmers who had been arrested by the Empire for not selling their farm went nowhere. There were a few smile moments but mostly it was just action scene after action scene without significant weight, many of which utterly refused to give their moments any time to breathe without another element stomping on them. The TIE Fighter theft was fun but didn't do anything rewarding enough with the idea, and for the central conceit of the episode that's quite a problem. Including the Kenner Imperial Troop Transport is apparently an ongoing idea, and it's a worthy one, but having the last act take place on top of them seemed like borrowing from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. And while I thought Sabine's mural was a stinker unworthy of the final result, the idea of her painting the TIE Pilot helmet reminded me of the Vader Project - where Lucasfilm and Master Replicas gave urban artists the chance to paint up Vader's helmet and display them on an exhibit. But overall, this was at best a "C" of an episode, not terrible but not great either.
If anything, you could say the B-plot was the rest of the crew wasting time on the Ghost and wondering what Sabine's painting would be . . . but that's a pretty weak B-plot.

Not to mention that TCW had a "let's go buy some fruit" storyline with Season Three's "Evil Plans," where Artoo and Threepio look for jogan fruit and instead end up giving the Senate's floorplans to Cad Bane. Not the most compelling story here OR there, so I wouldn't mind not seeing any more shopping trips for a while. The meiloorun fruit is a very random nod to the EU, for those keeping track at home.

Good call on the Vader Project (and its subsequent spinoffs), I'd like to see a nod toward that with several helmets done up in different designs.

I took the liberty of translating the Aurebesh on Hera's shopping list, as seen here (http://cdnvideo.dolimg.com/cdn_assets/ed2bad054d900e62a3d0e046499a4f60c0963874.jpg):

SHOPPING LIST

Meiloorun Melon
Science Dip
Space Waffles
Large Bag
Riding Ham
D'il Pyykkles

In an early behind-the-scenes video, artwork of waffles hung on the wall, giving rise to the so-called Space Waffles, represented here. I love the EU-ified "D'il Pyykkles." :p And of course after spending time translating it, I see that the trivia gallery has it already done. :dead:

SPOILERS

Yeah, you can't be that surprised about Luminara's fate, I spoiled that for you when you helped me out with my review last month. ;) I do appreciate your advice on that though, and I'm glad I removed that from my final review.

I was also confused about why they kept her body around and what the deal was with the spectral image of her - hologram or trapped ghost or what? It worked in an ethereal way very well, but I agree that it was confusing. I was wondering if she wasn't quite dead, if she was basically on corpse life support, kept at the edge of death and that was her Force essence, it was unclear but in a way that didn't diminish from the episode.

I just re-read it, and while you did say that it was a trap set by the Inquisitor, you never actually specified Luminara's fate, so you spoiled less than you thought. :p I did later see that her corpse was on display due to a preview video so it wasn't a total surprise, but wasn't sure how the story played out.

Loved the Yoda-type training in upper atmosphere, that was such a new breath into an existing trope that I felt it better encapsulated Star Wars than all of the prequels combined - it was mystical yet using technology, and putting the learner at real risk.
I liked Chopper's fastball pitches, especially the final one when Ezra was trying to get onto the loading ramp.

Glad I'm not the only one into the Phantom, I gotta own that thing.
Between that and the Inquisitor, and to a lesser extent "Fighter Flight"'s Imperial Troop Transport, I was definitely jonesing to get my hands on Hasbro's line. By this point we'll be lucky to see the stuff before midseason.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Given how so many people didn't like the prequels and didn't like The Clone Wars series, I was kind of surprised to see such glowing remarks about Rebels here. I enjoyed the first two episodes, but figured that others would find plenty of stuff to be critical about. I was reading comments on Facebook posts after the Fighter Flight episode, and I was seeing a lot of negativity about how Disney is destroying the franchise. Of course, people were saying negative things even before any of the episodes aired.

However, I now see that there is some criticism here of the Fighter Flight episode as well, which I would agree is the weakest so far. Hopefully, that is not a trend, and that we do get some great stories as the series progresses. Don't know yet if I will collect any figures from the series. Maybe I will, but just focus on getting the main characters and not worry about getting every one.

bigbarada
10-22-2014, 02:50 PM
Eh, I actually liked Fighter Flight a lot. Probably because I'm such a big fan of TIE Fighters and Zeb is my favorite character, so far, and seeing him trying to learn how to fly a TIE Fighter through trial and error was pretty entertaining for me. I like the fact that they took an entire episode to let Ezra and Zeb bond rather than just take it for granted that all the heroes are going to get along because they're the heroes.

Even though we're only three episodes into the series, I think Fighter Flight is my favorite episode thus far. I just hope that the upcoming Zeb action figure fits into the upcoming Rebels TIE Fighter toy.

Darth Metalmute
10-23-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm not a fan of Ezra or Chopper, but the other characters are great. Unfortunately, the series seems to be based off Ezra. But so far I've enjoyed it.

The start of Fighter Flight had a lot of George Lucas' Jar Jar in it. It got better once they were kicked off the ship. I still am constantly amazed the Emperor put up with such shotty marksmanship though. He deserved to be overthrown by Ewoks.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-23-2014, 09:30 PM
I still am constantly amazed the Emperor put up with such shotty marksmanship though. He deserved to be overthrown by Ewoks.I just try to tell myself that it is a cartoon representation of things, and not exactly how it would actually happen. Either that, or someone telling a tall story and embellishing things a bit much.

bigbarada
10-23-2014, 10:10 PM
I just try to tell myself that it is a cartoon representation of things, and not exactly how it would actually happen. Either that, or someone telling a tall story and embellishing things a bit much.

Or you could just tell yourself that it's all a fictional universe anyway, so why can't it also be fun to watch?

Anyways, according to what I've read, Fighter Flight only took in 581k viewers on Monday night, which is not good at all. That's about half of the premiere's numbers and below even the lowest ratings numbers for Clone Wars. I think the biggest problem is that Disney XD just isn't going to have the same amount of viewers as Cartoon Network does. Also, people are probably watching it early online and not bothering to tune in Monday nights.

Disney probably needs to stop offering it online a week early, that should increase the Monday night numbers somewhat. The show is already renewed for a second season, but unless things improve we probably won't see a third season. However, if the ratings numbers continue to drop, then I wouldn't be surprised if Disney pulled the plug on the second season.

Maradona
10-24-2014, 09:26 AM
I just saw episode four last night On Demand and I liked the introduction of the Inquisitor. Seems like he is definitely much more than 5POA, so hopefully we'll eventually get a real articulated version.

JediTricks
10-26-2014, 02:14 PM
First off, a reminder that tonight on ABC is Spark of Rebellion with the new Darth Vader scene featuring James Earl Jones. I will definitely be watching, but I only expect a brief scene sending the Inquisitor on his way. I've avoided re-watching this episode just so I could enjoy it again tonight.

If anything, you could say the B-plot was the rest of the crew wasting time on the Ghost and wondering what Sabine's painting would be . . . but that's a pretty weak B-plot.Yeah, very thin, not a plot even, and those scenes were just supporting the A-plot by talking about who the characters were and what they were doing.

Good call on the Vader Project (and its subsequent spinoffs), I'd like to see a nod toward that with several helmets done up in different designs. Thanks. I suspect we will see it because he's actively collecting them, it would be a great tie-in.

I took the liberty of translating the Aurebesh on Hera's shopping list, as seen here (http://cdnvideo.dolimg.com/cdn_assets/ed2bad054d900e62a3d0e046499a4f60c0963874.jpg):Well done. Those are silly but not terrible.

In an early behind-the-scenes video, artwork of waffles hung on the wall, giving rise to the so-called Space Waffles, represented here. I love the EU-ified "D'il Pyykkles." :p And of course after spending time translating it, I see that the trivia gallery has it already done. :dead: Womp womp. Their version of "supplies" is all basically food though, so dill pickles go with that. ;)

I just re-read it, and while you did say that it was a trap set by the Inquisitor, you never actually specified Luminara's fate, so you spoiled less than you thought. :p I did later see that her corpse was on display due to a preview video so it wasn't a total surprise, but wasn't sure how the story played out. Oh, you're right! Well, I'm glad I didn't spoil that for you then, even if some video did.

I liked Chopper's fastball pitches, especially the final one when Ezra was trying to get onto the loading ramp.
Yeah, that was fun stuff and I like that they're not taking it easy on Ezra, they're not coddling him, it's a tough universe, get up to snuff quick.

Between that and the Inquisitor, and to a lesser extent "Fighter Flight"'s Imperial Troop Transport, I was definitely jonesing to get my hands on Hasbro's line. By this point we'll be lucky to see the stuff before midseason.Yeah, SERIOUSLY! ME WANT!!!

Given how so many people didn't like the prequels and didn't like The Clone Wars series, I was kind of surprised to see such glowing remarks about Rebels here. I enjoyed the first two episodes, but figured that others would find plenty of stuff to be critical about. I was reading comments on Facebook posts after the Fighter Flight episode, and I was seeing a lot of negativity about how Disney is destroying the franchise. Of course, people were saying negative things even before any of the episodes aired.

However, I now see that there is some criticism here of the Fighter Flight episode as well, which I would agree is the weakest so far. Hopefully, that is not a trend, and that we do get some great stories as the series progresses. Don't know yet if I will collect any figures from the series. Maybe I will, but just focus on getting the main characters and not worry about getting every one.Facebook and Youtube, never will you find a more retched hive of scum and villainy. Haters gonna hate, but ultimately this isn't about Disney destroying anything, they've been fairly hands-off. At best you can blame Disney for not putting this show on a bigger network and not pushing its marketing better.

Fighter Flight didn't even feel like the other episodes, it was simpler and smaller and clumsier. But the others have been so good that I can't be too concerned just yet.

The good thing about Hasbro's toyline is how simple it will be to collect once it ships better, the figures are 5POA so they're only $6 or $10 for 2, and there aren't many characters so far.

I just try to tell myself that it is a cartoon representation of things, and not exactly how it would actually happen. Either that, or someone telling a tall story and embellishing things a bit much.Yeah, it's only the cartoon, not the movies, just keep telling yourself that. ;) They hit literally 3 main characters in 3 films and only 1 of those wasn't a droid. The Empire clearly considers their strength to be in volume, not marksmanship. :p

Or you could just tell yourself that it's all a fictional universe anyway, so why can't it also be fun to watch?

Anyways, according to what I've read, Fighter Flight only took in 581k viewers on Monday night, which is not good at all. That's about half of the premiere's numbers and below even the lowest ratings numbers for Clone Wars. I think the biggest problem is that Disney XD just isn't going to have the same amount of viewers as Cartoon Network does. Also, people are probably watching it early online and not bothering to tune in Monday nights.

Disney probably needs to stop offering it online a week early, that should increase the Monday night numbers somewhat. The show is already renewed for a second season, but unless things improve we probably won't see a third season. However, if the ratings numbers continue to drop, then I wouldn't be surprised if Disney pulled the plug on the second season.581k and a 0.1 rating, a 40% drop from "Droids in Distress", so low that TV By the Numbers didn't initially report on it, it was only given after someone asked specifically in the comments section. For Disney XD, that's 100k more viewers than programming in that slot a year ago, and it's more female-audience heavy to boot, but the reality is that Disney XD is in just 68% of households in the US, that 9pm on Monday is an incredibly challenging timeslot, and there hasn't been much marketing.

You are absolutely right that Disney is undermining their ratings by offering it online so early.

I just saw episode four last night On Demand and I liked the introduction of the Inquisitor. Seems like he is definitely much more than 5POA, so hopefully we'll eventually get a real articulated version.Heh heh, yeah. At first when they showed him last year I wasn't feeling his design at all, but on seeing him in Rise of the Old Masters, I am tempted to buy the 18" version just to have a figure sooner. I was strongly considering buying the Hasbro Inquisitor saber but for $30 it's not even light-up so no.

Tycho
10-26-2014, 04:23 PM
1st reply. (I have been away from my computer and out of town a lot and don't copy-past posts from other (Facebook) discussions well on my phone - I have this "laziness malfunction" that did not come standard with my phone. It is a "user exclusive feature" that only limited customers get (even before they turn on their phones).

But after having watched the latest episode (last Monday's), I thought:

I'm liking it, but Zeb and Ezra should have sold the TIE to the Devaronian and given part of the money to the farmers to rebuild and part to the Rodian who keeps losing his fruit.

It would have been a very "Jedi-inclined" thing to do.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-27-2014, 01:53 AM
Facebook and Youtube, never will you find a more retched hive of scum and villainy. Haters gonna hate, but ultimately this isn't about Disney destroying anything, they've been fairly hands-off. At best you can blame Disney for not putting this show on a bigger network and not pushing its marketing better.I agree. My main point was that I expected there to be some hate here as well (though certainly not the Facebook/Youtube level), so I was surprised to see that both you and El Chuxter liked it.

JediTricks
10-28-2014, 03:15 AM
I just rewatched Rise of the Old Masters and it still works so darned well, I am so pleased watching it. I think they added an act break in where Ezra jumps from the Phantom, but I could be mistaken and that was planned, it's been a while since I first saw it.

Senator Gall Trayvis turns out to be voiced by Brent Spiner, that was exciting for a Trekkie like me.

In answer to Luminara, IGN has an interview with Dave Filoni addressing that question and more: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/28/star-wars-rebels-dave-filoni-on-the-luminara-twist-in-rise-of-the-old-masters

It's an interesting and deep premise, I don't know that he sold it so well, but I think I like it for that reason, it doesn't even NEED to be clear or a successful concept for it to stick the landing, it's creepy and it's painful to know what the end result is either way.

I agree. My main point was that I expected there to be some hate here as well (though certainly not the Facebook/Youtube level), so I was surprised to see that both you and El Chuxter liked it.Overall, I love it, it's an amazing series, and not just because it steeps itself in the original trilogy so well. It's a fun adventure again, it has hope and it has overwhelming odds and it has good guys saving the day against bad guys, and it even has bad guys pushing the good guys on their heels. It's funny in a way that's easy to smile, Chopper is a hoot, Zeb and Sabine cracking wise is good stuff, everybody's fairly likable, even Ezra has some moments that allow the audience to really identify with him beyond being a wild brat.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-28-2014, 12:15 PM
In answer to Luminara, IGN has an interview with Dave Filoni addressing that question and more: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/28/star-wars-rebels-dave-filoni-on-the-luminara-twist-in-rise-of-the-old-masters

Ah, the simplest answer is again the correct one: it's not a Force essence or anything we haven't seen before, just footage of her execution. The fact that stormtroopers were escorting her in the earlier hologram leads me to wonder if they waited to murder her until the clones were phased out or if the Empire added the footage of stormtroopers to make it appear more recent.

I didn't get to see the "Spark of Rebellion" rerun on ABC but I've seen the Vader/Inquisitor scene online. In it, Vader tasks the Inquisitor with finding Force-sensitive children and Jedi who would train them, on the orders of the Emperor. It seems strange that they'd wait 14 years to start caring about that, especially with Sidious already having tried to kidnap Force-sensitive children during the Clone Wars, but whatever. Vader's helmet is clearly based on the McQuarrie concepts, which is cool to see.

JediTricks
10-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Ah, the simplest answer is again the correct one: it's not a Force essence or anything we haven't seen before, just footage of her execution. The fact that stormtroopers were escorting her in the earlier hologram leads me to wonder if they waited to murder her until the clones were phased out or if the Empire added the footage of stormtroopers to make it appear more recent.

I didn't get to see the "Spark of Rebellion" rerun on ABC but I've seen the Vader/Inquisitor scene online. In it, Vader tasks the Inquisitor with finding Force-sensitive children and Jedi who would train them, on the orders of the Emperor. It seems strange that they'd wait 14 years to start caring about that, especially with Sidious already having tried to kidnap Force-sensitive children during the Clone Wars, but whatever. Vader's helmet is clearly based on the McQuarrie concepts, which is cool to see.Editing the video is the best way to justify them not being clones since he also touches on Order 66 capturing.

I have the rerun on DVR but haven't taken the time to watch it.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-28-2014, 08:43 PM
I saw the Vader scene; I was surprised WHERE in the episode they inserted it (it fits there well, but not when I expected it).

I have to suspend my belief quite a bit for this sci-fi series more than I thought: it is REALLY easy to get into and out of Imperial installations, and avoiding blaster fire and turbolasers is like shooting Naboo ducks in a space barrel. Still no major developments with Hera. I read somewhere that Sabine is supposed to be 16 years old; she sure has amazing slicing, shooting, and recon skills for a teenager!

bigbarada
10-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Just watched "Rise of the Old Masters" today and I really enjoyed it. Which is a relief because I was dreading seeing a lightsaber duel in this series.

I thought the use of Luminara's corpse to lure Jedi was totally morbid, but also ingenius. It shows that the Inquisitor has a brain and is not just blindly obsessed with hate and revenge. That being said, I like the Inquisitor much more than I thought I would.

I also really liked how they've established Kanan as sort of a third-rate Jedi who doesn't feel qualified to teach someone about the Force.

Ezra seems to have a bit of an abandonment complex based on this episode. I wonder if that's going to tie into his backstory in some way?

Zeb and Chopper taunting and mocking Ezra as he tried to train was easily my favorite part of the episode. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-29-2014, 01:40 PM
An important point I forgot to note on the Vader scene is that Vader floated the idea of turning the Force-sensitive kids into agents of the Empire instead of just killing them. This plays into the Inquisitor telling Ezra about the dark side, and it also plays into the events of "Breaking Ranks." It also opens the door to the Empire using them as dark side assassins, which has been seen in TCW and the EU, perhaps even including characters we've seen before.

I watched "Breaking Ranks," and it was very good. SPOILERS follow.

Ezra joins the Imperial academy on Lothal in order to steal a disk from Agent Kallus. The episode picks up a while into his training, which seems to be the biggest jump forward in time we've seen on this show so far.

The training sequences were extremely reminiscent of "The Box" from TCW, which was seemingly a way for Dooku to pick the best bounty hunter to kidnap the Chancellor but was, in truth, a way for him to suss out a Jedi. Aresko and Grint use it for a similar purpose here, calling the Inquisitor to discuss two over-talented cadets, which is a nice way to see the villain again without breaking out another lightsaber duel so soon.

Meanwhile, after some good old-fashioned "sitting around and waiting for stuff to happen," Kanan and Hera try to stop a kybur crystal shipment. This doesn't come into play until late in the episode but it provides some cool space battle visuals. This is very similar to the recently-released Crystal Crisis on Utapau story reels from TCW, so I wonder if they decided to recycle that aspect of the story similar to how they recycled the Spire prison. Here as there, the crystal is clearly intended for use in the Death Star superlaser, and we even get a big green explosion complete with shockwave.

Chopper is along for the adventure in disguise as an Imperial droid. Zeb and Sabine don't get much to do outside the final battle.

I have to imagine that the show will follow up with Zare Leonis again – maybe his sister was taken by the Inquisitor and is being trained as a dark side user. Either way, he's another example of a rebel against the Empire, but now he'll actually be inside the Empire, so the Ghost crew would do well to keep in contact with him.

Hasbro is releasing a Mission Series pack with Ezra in his cadet training gear paired with yet another release of the standard Kanan. I can see them wanting to put them together as a master/apprentice set, but it would have been much cooler to see a reuse of the cadet body as Zare Leonis. If they didn't want to do any new tooling for the second figure, a repainted disguised Chopper would have been great.

Darth Metalmute
10-29-2014, 10:51 PM
I really enjoyed the last new episode that was on TV. I still can't get over the fact that there is another Sith out there considering the "Rule of Two". I wonder if Papa Palps will make Vader throw his pet out of the death star window...
However, I really enjoyed the intelligence portrayed through the voice acting of the Inquisitor. I don't care for his look though, outside his eyes, but the voice is masterfully done. Sort of like a Dark Side QGJ.

I loved the fact that both Ezra and Zeb asked Kanan , "Does yours do that?"

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-30-2014, 12:46 PM
I really enjoyed the last new episode that was on TV. I still can't get over the fact that there is another Sith out there considering the "Rule of Two". I wonder if Papa Palps will make Vader throw his pet out of the death star window...
However, I really enjoyed the intelligence portrayed through the voice acting of the Inquisitor. I don't care for his look though, outside his eyes, but the voice is masterfully done. Sort of like a Dark Side QGJ.

The Inquisitor is not a Sith, just a dark side user who serves the Empire. We've seen similar characters before, like Asajj Ventress, Savage Opress, and even Starkiller and other inquisitors from the EU. As seen in the Vader scene, the Emperor commands Vader, who in turn commands the Inquisitor – so it seems like Sheev knows about the Inquisitor and apparently even comes up with tasks for him. TCW explored the rule of two with Ventress, Savage, and Maul, so it will be interesting to see how much they cover the relationship between Vader, Sidious, and the Inquisitor.

Droid
10-31-2014, 10:19 AM
The "Rule of Two" was a huge mistake. They have completely ignored it and twisted semantics beyond all reason to act like they're trying to maintain it.

Tycho
10-31-2014, 11:11 PM
OK: Get this straight:

The Rule of Two was ALWAYS IGNORED!

But with it, there would be cause to only be FOUR (4) Siths.

Why?

Master grew the apprentice strong in the Dark Side by making his apprentice HATE him. Hate is the weapon of the Dark Side.

To strike and kill off a Master or Apprentice, it helps to have an accomplice - trained to use ENOUGH of the Dark Side of the Force to get by.

Ep1: TPM: Darth Plagueis was genetically engineering Anakin; working on converting Dooku

............... Palpatine had Darth Maul, but wanted to corrupt Dooku, and never fully trained Maul, and tattoo'd him so he could not lead publically. The Sith needed secrecy and to gain political power by the consent of the galaxy's citizens.

Plagueis is killed by Palpatine; Obi-Wan eliminates Darth Maul.

AOTC: Palpatine corrupts Dooku.

...........Dooku (Tyranus)_ with General Grievous and a whole Separatist Army cause fights his master, and it wasn't ALL an illusion - because Darth Tyranus would be Sith Lord if he won it all. He takes Asajj Ventress as his trainee. Later, Savage Opress.

Palpatine works on Anakin.

Dooku is killed by Anakin. Palpatine eliminates Savage Opress. (Eventually, Maul is eliminated (again...groan) by Obi-Wan.

ROTS: Palpatine may be training Mara Jade, or others. Wishes to corrupt Luke, once he's known of by ESB.

........Vader is training Garen (Starkiller) but also wishes to corrupt Luke (and secretly train him).

So The Rule of Two usually means there are four (4) Sith.

It was adopted because there used to be whole armies of Sith (under Lord Kaan) and they all fought each other constantly.

And there always actually ARE two OFFICIAL SITH LORDS: a master and apprentice, because folks like Dooku were waiting in the wings to advance (as Ventress hoped to) once the official Master or Apprentice fell.

Anakin was designed to be the ultimate Sith.

It's never explicitly stated, but Darth Plageuis (as it is stated) is also Dr. Hego Damask, a Muun Pharmaceutical / Medical Research tycoon and Shmi Skywalker as a slave, or prior to that, could have gotten the wrong kind of medical attention when she visited him (I'm talking artificial impregnation - so don't send your minds into alien porn mode here).

But Rule of Two means there could be 4 "Siths." But usually not more, unless the apprentices are having "try-outs."

Bel-Cam Jos
11-01-2014, 10:09 AM
I just think we all misheard Yoda (the first time, it would not be); he probably said "Always TOO there are, no more, no less." Too many Sith... "Getting too old for this Sith, I am."

Droid
11-04-2014, 04:52 PM
"But Rule of Two means there could be 4 "Siths.""

That is insane. To suggest that a Sith Lord can have multiple apprentices, but not be an official Sith Lord is running the dialogue Lucas presented to us as the Rule over with your car and backing over it again until it is a fine goo. All these red saber folks we keep seeing are apprentices, but not the official apprentice? We were told there were only two, a master and an apprentice. No more. No less. Not A master and a bunch of apprentices, but only one official apprentice.

Don't apologize for them, Tycho. It's just a rule they never should have introduced.

bigbarada
11-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Yeah, it's one of those totally arbitrary rules that Lucas introduced in the Prequels to help him tell a lazy story. Another example would be the "Jedi are forbidden to marry" thing.

Tycho
11-04-2014, 07:28 PM

That is insane. To suggest that a Sith Lord can have multiple apprentices, but not be an official Sith Lord is running the dialogue Lucas presented to us as the Rule over with your car and backing over it again until it is a fine goo. All these red saber folks we keep seeing are apprentices, but not the official apprentice? We were told there were only two, a master and an apprentice. No more. No less. Not A master and a bunch of apprentices, but only one official apprentice.

Don't apologize for them, Tycho. It's just a rule they never should have introduced.

The Sith are capable of murder and orchestrating war where millions die.

Are you saying they are incapable of lying and breaking their own rules?

Their self-centrism governs them, and a Master that needs an errand boy apprentice who can still rule himself (Palpatine) doesn't want his official apprentice (Dooku) to beat him at his own game and rule in his place. Thus, while Anakin is not his official apprentice, he uses him to kill off Dooku.

And where would Palpatine be if he didn't plan to have Darth Maul alive to do his bidding when he killed off Plageuis?

He needed Maul to make things happen for Nute Gunray so that Gunray would obey him, but never discover "Darth Sidious' " identity.

I'm not apologizing for Lucas. It has always been happening. Palpatine later has Mara Jade in the EU before the prequels were ever scripted. Vader was counting on Starkiller before he learned of his own son, and planned to convert Luke.

HAHA, BigBarada: the forbidden to marry part. If what I posted above to Droid is correct, Palpatine's and Vader's last secret apprentices, hopefully trained by their masters to kill each other, wind up marrying each other. It's so poetic.

I hope Domnhall Gleeson's playing Ben Skywalker in the new movie (that's been real quiet as the focus has been on Daisy Ridley's character). But not only he plays Ben, but Mara Jade is (was) his mother, thus the red hair, worn like Luke in ANH.

If Mara is her mother, she could be dead by Episode 7, or played by that Game of Thrones actress who everyone says is too tall (to which I respond, they can have Mark Hamill stand on a box and not film his feet in any scenes he has with her - AND Luke was too short to be a stormtrooper anyway. That is also "cannon." ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Not sure how to think about the "Breaking Bad," er "Ranks" one. Somehow it seemed very similar to me, but the kids had some moments of more than being stock characters.

DarthQuack
11-07-2014, 11:24 AM
I really have been enjoying the show so far, just caught up on the last couple episodes.

JediTricks
11-08-2014, 06:33 PM
I saw the Vader scene; I was surprised WHERE in the episode they inserted it (it fits there well, but not when I expected it).

I have to suspend my belief quite a bit for this sci-fi series more than I thought: it is REALLY easy to get into and out of Imperial installations, and avoiding blaster fire and turbolasers is like shooting Naboo ducks in a space barrel. Still no major developments with Hera. I read somewhere that Sabine is supposed to be 16 years old; she sure has amazing slicing, shooting, and recon skills for a teenager!I just watched that Vader scene and the whole of Spark of Rebellion, I also was surprised that it opened the show, I liked the old opening as it's patient and painting a scene, but this works too. The music in the new prologue really didn't fit though, it sounded cheap and small, my guess is they didn't have enough time to produce something better for this small scene because the music overall has been quite good on the show. Seeing Vader talk to the Inquisitor was interesting enough, and tracking down Force-adepts to use as agents is logical and fits with the Emperor's Hand premise from the EU.

The Ghost has advanced scanner-jamming technology, they have soft-peddled this but it's in there. That said, yeah, they are taking shortcuts in the storytelling that lets our heroes get in and out of situations, but I think the limited 22-minute format requires it so that the story gets told.

Just watched "Rise of the Old Masters" today and I really enjoyed it. Which is a relief because I was dreading seeing a lightsaber duel in this series.

I thought the use of Luminara's corpse to lure Jedi was totally morbid, but also ingenius. It shows that the Inquisitor has a brain and is not just blindly obsessed with hate and revenge. That being said, I like the Inquisitor much more than I thought I would.

I also really liked how they've established Kanan as sort of a third-rate Jedi who doesn't feel qualified to teach someone about the Force.

Ezra seems to have a bit of an abandonment complex based on this episode. I wonder if that's going to tie into his backstory in some way?

Zeb and Chopper taunting and mocking Ezra as he tried to train was easily my favorite part of the episode. :)Glad you liked it, I can't imagine not liking it, that one really stood my hair on end, it was quite engaging. And yeah, it turned my head around about the Inquisitor as well, good to hear that's the same there too with you.

Ezra seems to get over himself pretty easily, he seems surprisingly well-adjusted for the situations he's in, he doesn't like being abandoned but he doesn't let that stop him, same thing happened in Spark of Rebellion and the kid keeps going, I like that. I suspect they won't spend too much time showing backstories, but we'll see.

Chopper is the best!

An important point I forgot to note on the Vader scene is that Vader floated the idea of turning the Force-sensitive kids into agents of the Empire instead of just killing them. This plays into the Inquisitor telling Ezra about the dark side, and it also plays into the events of "Breaking Ranks." It also opens the door to the Empire using them as dark side assassins, which has been seen in TCW and the EU, perhaps even including characters we've seen before.

I watched "Breaking Ranks," and it was very good. SPOILERS follow.

Ezra joins the Imperial academy on Lothal in order to steal a disk from Agent Kallus. The episode picks up a while into his training, which seems to be the biggest jump forward in time we've seen on this show so far.

The training sequences were extremely reminiscent of "The Box" from TCW, which was seemingly a way for Dooku to pick the best bounty hunter to kidnap the Chancellor but was, in truth, a way for him to suss out a Jedi. Aresko and Grint use it for a similar purpose here, calling the Inquisitor to discuss two over-talented cadets, which is a nice way to see the villain again without breaking out another lightsaber duel so soon.

Meanwhile, after some good old-fashioned "sitting around and waiting for stuff to happen," Kanan and Hera try to stop a kybur crystal shipment. This doesn't come into play until late in the episode but it provides some cool space battle visuals. This is very similar to the recently-released Crystal Crisis on Utapau story reels from TCW, so I wonder if they decided to recycle that aspect of the story similar to how they recycled the Spire prison. Here as there, the crystal is clearly intended for use in the Death Star superlaser, and we even get a big green explosion complete with shockwave.

Chopper is along for the adventure in disguise as an Imperial droid. Zeb and Sabine don't get much to do outside the final battle.

I have to imagine that the show will follow up with Zare Leonis again – maybe his sister was taken by the Inquisitor and is being trained as a dark side user. Either way, he's another example of a rebel against the Empire, but now he'll actually be inside the Empire, so the Ghost crew would do well to keep in contact with him.

Hasbro is releasing a Mission Series pack with Ezra in his cadet training gear paired with yet another release of the standard Kanan. I can see them wanting to put them together as a master/apprentice set, but it would have been much cooler to see a reuse of the cadet body as Zare Leonis. If they didn't want to do any new tooling for the second figure, a repainted disguised Chopper would have been great.I gave this episode a B-, it felt much more like something you'd find in The Clone Wars, and there were a lot of shortcuts to get the story moving forward, but ultimately it was still an acceptable watch.

Apparently, Kyber crystals blow up REAL GOOD. :p Why would Agent Kallus order used podracer parts???

I am sure Zare's sister was taken by the Inquisitor, and so shall he, I look forward to seeing more. His name is an anagram for Ezra though, so I suspect the Inquisitor will turn him. Good point about making the Zare figure instead of another Kanan.

Don't apologize for them, Tycho. It's just a rule they never should have introduced.I don't think I agree with anything Tycho says, nor does anything Lucas said at the time. The rule of 2 is for Siths, but not all those who use the Force for evil are Sith, some are just Dark Force adepts or Dark Jedi, the Sith is a specific order and one can only be let in by another Sith.

Not sure how to think about the "Breaking Bad," er "Ranks" one. Somehow it seemed very similar to me, but the kids had some moments of more than being stock characters.Similar to what?

Maradona
11-08-2014, 10:39 PM
JT, I thought the same thing last night as I watched the new episode: it had a Clone Wars series feel to it tonally.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-09-2014, 11:04 PM
In Dave Filoni's interview on Rebel Force Radio, he spoke about how George was the one who came up with the idea to show Vader interacting with the Inquisitor to properly establish their relationship. George saw it shortly before it aired for the first time, so they then quickly animated it in San Francisco to make sure it would get to ABC in time.

I don't think the rule of two is arbitrary – in-universe, it shows the Sith as secretive, selective, greedy, even paranoid, and powerful enough to command the dark side by themselves. As a story device, it's an easy way to tell the audience why there are only two of them while there are thousands of Jedi.

Let's look at the Sith and how they deal with other dark siders and thus the rule of two, shall we?

Vader and Palpatine first discuss Luke in ESB:

VADER: What is thy bidding, my master?

EMPEROR: There is a great disturbance in the Force.

VADER: I have felt it.

EMPEROR: We have a new enemy - the young rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt that this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.

VADER: How is that possible?

EMPEROR: Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us.

VADER: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.

EMPEROR: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.

VADER: If he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally.

EMPEROR: Yes. Yes. He would be a great asset. Can it be done?

VADER: He will join us or die, my master.
So Palpatine first refers to Luke as an enemy who could destroy them. Vader floats the idea of turning Luke to the dark side and Palpatine agrees.

During the duel on Bespin, Vader gives Luke the "join us or die" option. However, he has modified it, wishing to overthrow the Emperor once Luke has turned to the dark side. Years earlier, he proposed the same plan to Padmé, though she had no Force abilities of her own.

In ROTJ, Vader and Palpatine discuss Luke on three separate occasions. Each time, the plan is very much to bring him to the dark side together. When Luke turns himself in to Vader, Vader seems to have either completely dropped his "let's kill the Emperor and rule in his place" plan or doesn't want to talk about it so close to other Imperials. Either way, Vader tells Luke, "The Emperor will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your master now."

When Luke meets Palpatine, he reaffirms that he will be Luke's master—but shortly thereafter, in two separate scenes, he goads Luke into killing him, which would complete Luke's journey to the dark side. Would Palpatine really want Luke to join the dark side that badly? Or does he just (rightly) assume that Vader would protect him?

When Luke defeats Vader in combat, Palpatine urges Luke to "fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side!" At this point, Palpatine clearly does not care about Vader's fate and no longer needs him as long as he has Luke. When Luke refuses, Palpatine reiterates the "join us or die" mantra: "If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed."

So while Vader and Palpatine talk to each other about turning Luke, it's always with the understanding that they'll both be involved; when they talk about it to Luke individually, it ends up being revealed that the Sith are trying to overthrow each other, thus preserving the rule of two.

In the PT, Palpatine goes from Maul to Tyranus to Vader. We see Palpatine grooming Anakin for the dark side and testing his readiness in TCW and ROTS, but Vader is never a dark side user at the same time Tyranus is alive. The transition from Maul to Tyranus is less clear, but Dooku was already using the Tyranus moniker when dealing with Jango Fett and the Kaminoans; TCW reveals that the initial planning stages of the clone army happened when Valorum was still Chancellor and Palpatine was still a senator, so it seems that Palpatine was already at least working with Dooku when Maul was still alive. Perhaps Palpatine knew that Dooku was planning on leaving the Jedi Order on his own, thought he would be a better partner in the Clone Wars than Maul would, influenced him to completely join the dark side, and sent Maul on a task that would likely end in his death, again preserving the rule of two.

TCW features other dark siders, including Asajj Ventress and Savage Opress. Ventress is very clearly subservient to Tyranus, serving him as an assassin but never attaining the title of Sith. Sidious is content to have her as a dark sider to command the army, kill Jedi, and do tasks as needed for the war. When she grows too powerful, Sidious orders Tyranus to destroy her, yet again preserving the rule of two. She survives the botched assassination attempt and plots her revenge against Tyranus by giving him a new apprentice that would secretly answer to her and the Nightsisters: Savage Opress. As Tyranus trains Savage, he states outright for the first time that his goal is to overthrow Sidious and rule the galaxy. As Ventress leaves her past behind her and finds work as a bounty hunter, Savage and Mother Talzin resuscitate Maul. Maul feels that he and Savage are the true Sith lords, with Tyranus as nothing but a pretender; at this point, the two Sith lords Sidious and Tyranus apparently do not have any other dark siders working with them. Sidious goes after the Nightbrothers, killing Savage, taking Maul as prisoner (in hopes of drawing out and destroying Mother Talzin), and telling them, "Remember, there can only be two."

The Rebels interaction between Vader and the Inquisitor very closely mirrors the ESB interaction between Vader and the Emperor. Palpatine has felt a new enemy rising—"the children of the Force"—that could destroy them. Here, it seems to be Palpatine who has the idea of turning them to the dark side and using them in service of the Empire. "Join us or die" is very much the directive on Force-sensitive children. The Inquisitor is in the same vein as Asajj Ventress, doing the dirty work of the Sith without actually being a Sith himself. I am very interested to see how these young dark siders are used, as it sounds a lot like the Emperor's Hand concept from the EU (might they even include a canon Mara Jade?). It also follows very directly from the TCW plot "Children of the Force," in which Sidious hopes to kidnap Force-sensitive infants and raise them as dark side spies. He abandons this plan when Anakin and Ahsoka reveal his lair on Mustafar, so it would seem that he returns to it sometime after Order 66.

I'd like to hear more about how the Inquisitor was found in the first place. He's old enough to have been a Jedi — but Utapau is in the Outer Rim, presumably ungoverned by the Republic, so it makes sense that the Jedi wouldn't have taken him as an infant. Perhaps he was discovered during Grievous' work on that planet during the Clone Wars.

Anyway, as to Rebels, I saw "Out of Darkness." SPOILERS ahead.

This episode focuses on Hera and Sabine. As they pick up crates from an abandoned Republic outpost, they run out of fuel and draw the attention of not-so-friendly bat-like creatures.

I think I'm still not used to how small this show feels in comparison to TCW. The show looks gorgeous—the rocky outpost looks straight out of a McQuarrie painting—but it seems like the budget is significantly lower than TCW, with far fewer models created weekly and the story crafted to follow. Of course, Hera says in this episode that there's an endgame in place, so I'll have to be patient while the show builds its universe.

We finally learn something about Sabine: she went to the Imperial Academy on Mandalore and thought it was a "nightmare." Presumably that's how she got so skilled at fighting.

It's nice to see more connections to the PT and TCW, with a Republic Gunship and ARC-170 lying abandoned in the hangar.

Tycho
11-10-2014, 02:54 PM
A very complete post, JabbaJohn. Thank you.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-10-2014, 11:35 PM
We (somewhat) learned more about a character (Sabine), that hand blasters have unlimited power packs plus can take out large creatures in a single shot, and that TIE pilots have worse aim than Stormtroopers, somehow.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-11-2014, 10:50 AM
"Empire Day" is now available for viewing, and it's another series high point. Like "Rise of the Old Masters," it was written by Henry Gilroy, who I'm very glad was promoted to supervising writer.

SPOILERS follow.

I LOVED the parade-style rendition of the Imperial March as an in-universe piece of music!

We first learned it on the packaging for the Mission Series: The Ghost set from TRU, but Ezra was born the same day the Empire was founded. The passing of time in ROTS is a little hard to decipher, but this means he was at least born the same week as Luke and Leia, if the connections weren't strong enough already. So we know this episode takes place exactly 15 years after ROTS.

Tseebo, the Rodian with the Lobot-style head apparatus, hints that he knows what happened to Ezra's parents. The father is very clearly voiced by Dee Bradley Baker, who memorably played every adult clone (and many other roles) on TCW, so it's nice to hear him again. Now that he's here, hopefully they'll have him play some aging clones somewhere in this show.

This episode marks the first appearance of the TIE Advanced prototypes, one of which is destroyed by the rebels and another which is piloted by the Inquisitor. It does indeed feature the folding wings seen on the Hasbro version. We also get to see his awesome helmet inspired by Vader concept art.

And in TCW connections, we see a clone helmet at a bar and the actual factual Crumb Bomber gunship!

Darth Metalmute
11-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Finally got caught up with the last two (non-itunes shows). I didn't really care for Breaking Ranks. To me, Ezra put those kids lives at risk for no reason. Had they not gotten involved with him, they wouldn't have had anything really happen to them.

I had a real connection to Out of Darkness. I work for a company of five people and there is nothing worse than having internal secrets. Tears the morale of the team up. Also, what are the chances that Sabine is the sister of the child from the previous episode that stayed behind?

Tycho
11-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Good catch Darth Metalmute. On the sister thing. I hadn't thought of that, but not it makes perfect sense. That's a nice writing job with plot set-up.

Good work Detective!

JediTricks
11-15-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm afraid Sabine can't be Zare's sister because Sabine went to the academy on Mandalore while Zare's sister went to the academy on Lothal.

I liked but didn't love Out of Darkness, it felt like there could have been a little more meat to the story, it just felt like a first-person shooter short level, it didn't wholly deliver on the premise about Sabine and Hera and the need to know more vs the need for compartmentalization. It looked great at least.

So Fulcrum, in that last line it sounded feminine (words with "S" generally are a giveaway), and that led me to suspect that perhaps Fulcrum was Ahsoka, but one of the folks I was talking to about this suggested that Fulcrum could be 14-year-old Leia! Both of those ideas are delicious and possible, although I would prefer Ahsoka just based on age and experience.

Then they pointed out that Ezra is Leia and Luke's age, how did I miss that? That's crazy! I saw the age thing come up in the preview clip I put in the news right afterwards too, and even then I didn't really think about it at first, but Ezra's struggle is what Luke and Leia are thinking about in this point in their lives too, after a fashion.

Maradona
11-16-2014, 10:25 AM
I liked Empire Day. It finally explained Lobot's headwear! I love how the series is picking out nuances from the original trilogy and incorporating them.

JediTricks
11-16-2014, 01:25 PM
I am getting very annoyed with the piecemeal release schedule of this show - some folks see it 6 days early on the Disney XD app and website, some folks see it 3 or 4 days early via OnDemand, some folks see it when it airs, and then some folks - because it's an incredibly challenging timeslot - see it days AFTER it airs. This makes it incredibly difficult to build buzz for the show because there's no way to have a conversation about it for up to a whole week since everybody's on a different schedule.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-16-2014, 03:04 PM
That keeps me from reading this thread sometimes until I am caught up so that I can avoid spoilers.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I do a quick scan of each post first. Sorry if any of my comments were repeated already, as I watch the Disney XD Monday showing.

Maradona
11-16-2014, 09:34 PM
I usually watch it Friday night or Saturday morning and I try to avoid revealing much, but I'm good with not posting anything about episodes until a week after they have aired on all formats.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-17-2014, 09:10 PM
This is less episode-specific, but tied to "Out of Darkness"—Rebels Report had a post (http://rebelsreport.com/2014/11/12/rebels-reflections-6-out-of-darkness-who-is-fulcrum/) speculating about the identity of Fulcrum, Hera's contact. Something to note is that, while Sabine assumes Fulcrum is a "he," Hera never refers to Fulcrum by a masculine or feminine pronoun. The site pitched the audio of Fulcrum's message up and down and posted a clip.

The logo seen on Fulcrum's crates represents a literal fulcrum, but it also looks a suspicious amount like the markings on Ahsoka's forehead. This would be an amazing way to bring Ahsoka in to the story of Rebels. Obviously it seems like Gail Trayvis is going to play some sort of bigger role down the line, but I can't imagine that Hera would be so protective of him as a source if he's already speaking against the Empire so openly. There were rumors of Billy Dee Williams playing Lando on the show, but I don't think Lando would be involved with the Rebellion much at all before ESB unless he could profit directly from doing so. It seems like Fulcrum's identity going to be a big surprise or a character we already know, otherwise why keep it such a secret?

Tycho
11-18-2014, 04:24 AM
Lando might be Kanan's age. Would Billy sound like a young man?

I'd like to see him in the live-action movies, but someone else should voice a young Lando.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-18-2014, 10:49 PM
Interesting last shot seen on screen; not sure if I recall seeing that on any SW TV show before. Again, the ability to hit a shield-less target moving in a straight line with decently-powerful weapons is completely non-existent. :confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2014, 11:14 AM
Is it too early to post about the "Gathering Forces" episode from yesterday? In short, I found it somewhat disappointing, based on how the previous one ended. But the group is coming together as a whole more.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-25-2014, 12:37 PM
I didn't like "Gathering Forces" as much as "Empire Day," but it was still enjoyable and well done.

I thought the "hey, let's go back to the asteroid base from two episodes ago" gimmick felt forced and was such an obvious way to reuse assets. The Rebel Blockade Runner made a reappearance too, though it was painted more in line with ROTS' Sundered Heart than the already-glimpsed Tantive IV. If the budget is such a concern, I'm surprised they're not reskinning more rooms and locations from The Clone Wars—the gunship in the hangar was sourced from the TCW Jedi Temple bombing episodes, and some of the vendors' market carts are from TCW as well, but they could really push it if they wanted to save money.

The Phantom exiting hyperspace, and the trippy 2001-style visuals that followed, was interesting to see.

Dee Bradley Baker pulls double duty as Ephraim Bridger and Admiral Kassius Konstantine; still no clones.

Now there are no new episodes for over a month; maybe I'll rewatch the series so far to see if it works better together.

Maradona
11-25-2014, 05:09 PM
I also enjoyed the last episode. The Inquisitor is a fantastic character and I think so much of it comes from the voice acting. Among my apprehension with much of the Clone Wars series was that I wanted more variety in the voice acting, particularly for the principal characters. I am no expert and my opinion is highly subjective, but I look at the voice work on the Justice League/DCAU as the post-80s gold standard in animated television programs. While I don't place Rebels on that level or even close to it, the show is already far better than CW in that department. In fact, it's already better in just about every department for me. CW just had more toys - to a level which I wish Rebels could reach.

LTBasker
11-27-2014, 06:29 AM
It seems really weird to go on hiatus after not even 10 episodes. Wouldn't it make more sense to immerse kids further into it during the holiday season with Christmas break coming up?

Regardless, so far I've continued to heavily enjoy the show. It has a lot of things that I'd like to see improved on but overall even at its weakest I find enjoyment in it. At this point the most frustrating thing about it is simply that I want more, I really wish they could two episodes every week. The only two major points of disappointment have been the exaggeration of 'the Empire can't hit anything' and the Ghost having some of the most amazing ubershields ever. There's really not much feeling of nail-biting peril when the heroes can just fly along in a straight line (I know a few maneuvers?) and take several direct hits that pretty much result in only a minor inconvenience. Secondly, the Inquisitor feels kinda pointless outside of introducing a gimmick lightsaber and getting some duels early on. Agent Kallus seems like enough if we need a recurring bumbling antagonist that will always be outwitted by those meddling kids; absolutely ineffective windmill of terror is not necessary. Also I hope the series does well enough for the CGI to be able to include joints on the bodies, the Gumby bodies are kinda getting strange to look at.

But, I consider those minor points since nothing has annoyed me on a level comparable with numerous things in TCW. So I'm certainly looking forward to more and the Rebels universe getting further expanded. This Fulcrum thing is a nifty development, although with every mention I flash back to Chuck and expect the intersect to get mentioned.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-27-2014, 09:47 AM
It's so obvious: Fulcrum is Jaxxon; can't believe no one's made the connection.

JediTricks
11-29-2014, 12:56 AM
Fulcrum is likely Ahoska, but I kind of like the idea that someone else posted of it being Leia.

Gathering Forces I liked more than Empire Day, it was a very action-packed episode that had a lot of emotional stuff too. It did feel crammed together though, this was 2 episodes' worth of storytelling all by itself, hard to believe it's the second part of another story.

The hiatus isn't too bad, gets more kid eyes on it, they aren't as strict with canon as we are.

2-1B
11-29-2014, 11:45 AM
This show is turning out to be worse than I thought it would. I think I hate it.
It's worse than The Clone Wars but of course better than Genndy's Clone Wars. Worse than Droids and Ewoks but better than the Holiday Special I guess.

Not a good cast of characters. What a bunch of ripoffs! I guess I think Hera is ok but the rest are awful. Jedi Han, Talking Chewbacca, Punk Rocker Lady Fett, and whatever is going on with that slingshot padawan...just awful.
Sure, those are some nice sideburns on Agent Callous but then you've got The Inquisitor. WTF is with that guy? He doesn't belong in SW. I think the inclusion of the Vader scene on ABC was pure spin; they realized how stupid it was to replace him with this other Darth Bad Guy so they figured oops we better slap something at the front to "explain" why it isn't Vader. And that lightsaber gimmick: so stupid.

And how the heck does this take place 5 years before ANH? That movie feels like the Jedi had been gone for awhile...with only Ben & Vader around (plus Yoda in hiding with The Emperor's introduction to come). But no it was just a few years previous that Freddie Prinze Jr was not only on the lam as a Jedi but he was TRAINING SOME KID who was already more advanced in a few half-hour episodes than Luke was after 3 years of movie time. I'm cancelling my DVR schedule for the second half of the season.

I hate Dave Filoni.

JediTricks
11-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Someone's got a case of the Mondays.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-29-2014, 05:08 PM
This show is ... I think I ...
It's ... Special I guess.

Not a ... What a ...! I guess I think ...
Sure, those are some nice ...

And how the ...? That movie feels like the ...Disney webmasters somehow edited my reply to reflect an "accurate" primary source post. :rolleyes:

2-1B
11-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Someone's got a case of the Mondays.

7 cases, actually!

Disney webmasters somehow edited my reply to reflect an "accurate" primary source post. :rolleyes:

Disney webmasters?
You mean Steve sold SSG to Disney just like George sold LFL to Disney?
I'm out of it for a little while and everyone gets delusions of...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Fulcrum is likely Ahoska, but I kind of like the idea that someone else posted of it being Leia.

I doubt it would be anyone related to Bail Organa since, as shown in "Droids in Distress," he wants to learn more about the Ghost crew and seemingly didn't know much about them before dispatching R2-D2 and C-3PO. That wouldn't match up with him or his daughter being Hera's main connection.

Lord Malakite
12-03-2014, 10:02 PM
I doubt it would be anyone related to Bail Organa since, as shown in "Droids in Distress," he wants to learn more about the Ghost crew and seemingly didn't know much about them before dispatching R2-D2 and C-3PO. That wouldn't match up with him or his daughter being Hera's main connection.

Just to toss out another idea other than Ahsoka and Leia, what if Fulcrum were Mon Mothma.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Why are we all assuming Fulcrum's a female? Could be Yoda's uncle, or a Wookiee with a vocoder device. Or a droid? Or Waru, the only Expanded Universe detail to survive the Disney Purge?

LTBasker
12-05-2014, 04:03 AM
Just to toss out another idea other than Ahsoka and Leia, what if Fulcrum were Mon Mothma.

I like that idea. I'd love to see her, Dodonna, Rieekan, Madine and Ackbar show up during the early days of the Rebellion.

JediTricks
12-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Just to toss out another idea other than Ahsoka and Leia, what if Fulcrum were Mon Mothma.Alright, that's good too. I always pictured her as hands-off but there's no reason that's the actual case.

Why are we all assuming Fulcrum's a female? Could be Yoda's uncle, or a Wookiee with a vocoder device. Or a droid? Or Waru, the only Expanded Universe detail to survive the Disney Purge?It could be, but the way Hera avoided gender pronouns and the obviously-altered voice that's meant to sound male suggest it's hiding a character we already know and one that's female.

JediTricks
12-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Rebels marathon this Sunday! http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/12/06/star-wars-rebels-marathon-this-sunday/

Darth Metalmute
12-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Finally caught up with the last two episodes of the season. Thought the were nicely done. Find it a nice touch that the Rebels also have issues hitting targets. lol.

Felt like a third part should have been addressed with Kanan's concern over Erza. I'm sure it will come up, just would have been nice to get to before the hiatus.

Still not a fan of Ezra at all. Now it looks like he has potential to be a very powerful Jedi? I hope he turns to the dark side. lol

Food for thought: is the only end game for Ezra and Kanan death before a new hope? Sort of like how Starkiller "died" in the first game? It seems to me they have to, especially since they play a big role in the rebel alliance yet are not in future films.

JediTricks
12-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Well, they're driving the notion a little hard that Ezra can be a Jedi so soon. Had Kanan existed as he was before he met Ezra, keeping the Jedi aspect of his life as an element he preferred not to touch, I could buy him and the crew of the Ghost just being a small, separate cell that wasn't part of these big Rebel moves we see in Eps 4-6. However, with the cat out of the bag and Ezra taking steps to becoming a Jedi as his chief focus on the show, I don't see how that can be easily rectified unless they backpedal his progression and keep him from achieving those Jedi goals just as Kanan has stayed incomplete. It's challenging but there are potential avenues beyond death they could focus them.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Still not a fan of Ezra at all. Now it looks like he has potential to be a very powerful Jedi? I hope he turns to the dark side. lol

Food for thought: is the only end game for Ezra and Kanan death before a new hope? Sort of like how Starkiller "died" in the first game? It seems to me they have to, especially since they play a big role in the rebel alliance yet are not in future films.The dark side adept route is possible: quicker, easier, more seductive.

I don't think this is a spoiler, since it's just my own speculation, but consider the OT lines, that without the EU, the cartoons can run wild with: the Rebels who stole the hidden data [mp3s :rolleyes:], many Bothans [and perhaps a couple humans?] died, etc. Well, maybe not the ROJ line; too late in the story. Kanan could still try to keep the training secret, especially if sometime in the series those Imperials who know of the pre-Jedi die.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Hmm, maybe. But wouldn't Bail just get info on the Rebels from her? They were already working together during the Clone Wars.

Kath Soucie voiced Mon Mothma on TCW, and she's already appeared here as Minister Maketh Tua, so it's in the realm of possibility. However, it didn't sound like Fulcrum's messages had a British accent. I bet we'll still see her show up somewhere down the line, maybe in connection with Senator Gall Trayvis.

I like that idea. I'd love to see her, Dodonna, Rieekan, Madine and Ackbar show up during the early days of the Rebellion.
We saw Ackbar on TCW, and while I can't imagine this show has the budget to return to the underworld portion of Mon Cala, I bet he might pop up again. It's likely we'll see more of these types of characters as the Ghost crew deals more directly with other rebels.

Food for thought: is the only end game for Ezra and Kanan death before a new hope? Sort of like how Starkiller "died" in the first game? It seems to me they have to, especially since they play a big role in the rebel alliance yet are not in future films.
I wouldn't say they have to die. The galaxy's a big enough place for them to exist alongside the rebels from the films, possibly working with rebels across the galaxy or with the Alliance in some smaller capacity.

It also seems unlikely that this show won't involve Vader more heavily a few seasons down the line, so maybe he'll get called in and kill them after they defeat the Inquisitor, or attack a large Imperial target, or something.

Recent rumors suggest that there's already an endgame in mind for this show, with plans for it to run "about three or four seasons," as Luke might say. :p That would make sense given Filoni's comments that shows of this kind rarely last longer than five years, and the fact that lots of work on TCW went unfinished and that's probably a scenario they want to avoid this time. But how much time could that actually cover? Over six seasons, TCW covered less than three years, so real time doesn't necessarily have to correspond with story time. So this show could cover just a few years and end well before ANH, it could cover four more years and lead right into ANH, or it could go eight years, all the way through ROTJ. It's hard to say, but the last two episodes took place in a single day, and Ezra was in the Imperial Academy for an unspecified length of time (but seemingly at least a few weeks), so it's not like this show takes place in real time.

As to previous comments I made about Zeb: I rewatched "Spark of Rebellion" and "Droids in Distress" recently, and I misheard Kallus' comments to Zeb the first time. When fighting and taunting Zeb, Kallus says that he gave the order to use them on the Lasat; I originally thought that Kallus said that he gave Zeb the order to use them. So it seems Zeb didn't have to kill his people, which is far less gruesome.

JediTricks
12-13-2014, 08:19 PM
As to previous comments I made about Zeb: I rewatched "Spark of Rebellion" and "Droids in Distress" recently, and I misheard Kallus' comments to Zeb the first time. When fighting and taunting Zeb, Kallus says that he gave the order to use them on the Lasat; I originally thought that Kallus said that he gave Zeb the order to use them. So it seems Zeb didn't have to kill his people, which is far less gruesome.That explains so much! I was entirely confused by your previous statement about Zeb being a turncoat before.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-14-2014, 09:50 AM
I always assumed Zeb observed others using them on his people and never wanted anyone to use them on living being ever again (kind of a Scared Straight or quit cold turkey idea).

To those who questioned why they'd rerun the old ones after just a few: this is why, so we'd dig deeper and "get" the characters and dialogue better. Well played, Disney overlords...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-15-2014, 03:45 PM
TV Guide revealed that "Path of the Jedi" will feature a voice cameo from...

SPOILERS!!!

... Master Yoda, as played by Frank Oz! (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Yoda-Return-Star-Wars-Rebel-1090906.aspx) Interesting that they're using Oz and not Tom Kane. The article states that there will be homages to ESB and "the final episodes" of TCW, presumably the Yoda-centric ones where he visits Dagobah and Moraband. Since he'll only be using his voice and Yoda won't be appearing on Lothal in person, maybe he'll reference what he's doing in seclusion.

JediTricks
12-16-2014, 04:24 PM
I'm really hoping this is a flashback for the voiceover, or even narration from Yoda.