PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Rebels - Dave Filoni's new Star Wars animated series

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-16-2013, 12:37 PM
It's been discussed elsewhere, but I wanted to start a thread for the new animated project since a few hints have been dropped lately.

A little over a week ago on May 6, Dave Filoni posted this sketch of TIE fighters (https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/485585_10151562853130053_595146916_n.jpg) hanging from cranes, with the caption, "It’s hard to believe that I have worked at Lucasfilm almost eight years, and this is the first time I have ever gotten to draw a TIE fighter." StarWars.com later used this other TIE drawing (http://25.media.tumblr.com/bc376cfff65d3d9a515193218ed6b21b/tumblr_mmhvw6yOEq1spvvs0o1_1280.jpg) on its 404 pages, with Dave's Plo Kool seal of approval. Unlike the first image, it shows the wings at their proper sizes.

This short video (https://vine.co/v/bEM2riO9WAq) was recently posted on Vine, showing Dave opening a vintage TIE Fighter in what looks to be a Lucasfilm office, saying it's for research. TheForce.net (http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Dave_Filoni_Doing_Research_For_His_Next_SW_Project _151932.asp) pointed out a number of possible Easter eggs in the video, including the fact that the desktop has a link to a Star Wars Blog post (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2009/05/20/stay-on-target/) with Aurebesh writing over an X-wing targeting system. The post itself says, "In those first dark days it seemed certain the bright flame would be extinguished before it cast the light of new truth." This is adapted from the prologue of the original ANH novelization, presented as coming from the Journal of the Whills. The Aurebesh reads, "STRIKING FIRST SO YOU CAN'T STRIKE BACK." Oddly, the post is titled May 20, 2009, so I'm thinking it's a fake date to bury the post, meant only to be accessible thanks to the Vine video. The source code indicates that the image includes "2013/05" in its title (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/stayontarget.jpg), indicating that it's a new page as of sometime this month.

The rest of the TFN article is wild speculation that may or may not mean anything, but it also points out that Leland Chee Tweeted on May 5 (https://twitter.com/HolocronKeeper/status/331114301924450305), "I have the first line of the opening crawl for The Empire Strikes Back stuck in my head." Of course, the first line is, "It is a dark time for the Rebellion."

Additional clues point to Gargoyles creator and Young Justice producer Greg Weisman being involved. Much like The Clone Wars, Young Justice was recently cancelled, so this is very possible.

Obviously these all lead one to believe that the new animated series would involve the Rebellion and the Empire, most likely taking place between ROTS and ANH - or maybe even between ANH and ESB, given the few ESB nods. I hope it's during the "dark times" for a number of reasons, from the fact that it's still woefully unexplored to the fact that the seemingly defunct live-action show was to be set in this period to the fact that it could just as easily pull characters from the PT or the OT even more than TCW did. Above all else, it's exciting that it might not be set too far after TCW, meaning that we would hopefully be able to follow up on characters from TCW - Ahsoka, Rex, Maul, Ventress, and Boba Fett would be very welcome, and it might have strong involvement from Saw Gerrera and Lux Bonteri. Characters like Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and Tarkin could easily play large roles here as well. And designer Kilian Plunkett appears with Dave and Pablo Hidalgo in the video, indicating that he's staying on board to help design the new series - so hopefully they also utilize some of the great writers and voice actors from TCW.

I assume more will be revealed at Celebration Europe II, if not sooner. It's nice to finally have some good news to speculate on for once!

JediTricks
05-16-2013, 02:19 PM
I'd be a little surprised if this reveal is given up at Euro-Celebration, generally that's the sort of thing they save for US shores.

I'd very much like a series set between ANH and ESB, there's so much room for exciting times there. ROTS to ANH is ok, but there's a bit of prequel infection expected there, that "crossover" feeling that shouldn't really be left to anybody but Lucas himself (and even then, probably not).

You know, the next D23 Expo is this August, that'd be a fantastic surprise to reveal there instead of SDCC (although I vote SDCC since I'm going :p).

There's no "Star Wars" in this thread's title, don't you think there ought to be?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-16-2013, 04:02 PM
I'd be a little surprised if this reveal is given up at Euro-Celebration, generally that's the sort of thing they save for US shores.
SDCC is a week before CEII, but is Dave going to be there? He was one of the first guests announced for CEII, and he'll have to have something to talk about other than the Clone Wars bonus content. The fact that he and Kennedy are both going to be there leads me to believe they'll show off some goods in Germany. And it would be a cop-out to the fans to say, "Welp, we already showed everything last week! Too bad you weren't at Comic Con!" It would also be a show of good faith to the core SW fandom, since literally every big-ticket item they showed at CVI has been cancelled by this point. No matter what, I'm sure we'll have some information before the summer's over.

I'd very much like a series set between ANH and ESB, there's so much room for exciting times there. ROTS to ANH is ok, but there's a bit of prequel infection expected there, that "crossover" feeling that shouldn't really be left to anybody but Lucas himself (and even then, probably not).
A show set between ANH and ESB would be cool for sure. I've just been interested in the between-trilogy period for quite a while, and after it seemed like Disney wanted to move completely away from the prequel storyline, this would be welcome news to me. And this would be a great way to occasionally tie up remaining TCW plot points where it makes sense - I would love, for instance, to check back up on Mandalore and see how things have changed under the Empire. They could also possibly reconfigure some of the lost scripts from TCW seasons six through eight.

Did you not like the crossover vibe from the final TCW season five arc? I thought it was handled very well there.

There's no "Star Wars" in this thread's title, don't you think there ought to be?
I'll change it for now, but I was planning on changing it whenever we learned the title of the series anyway.

RendarStillLives
05-20-2013, 11:01 AM
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/rebels-star-wars-animated-series-coming-next-140615438.html

If you can't wait until 2015 for J.J. Abrams' continuation of the "Star Wars" saga, the Disney Channel has something to hold you over: The new animated series "Star Wars Rebels" will debut late next year.

The series comes as Lucasfilm Animation is winding down the animated series "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," which premiered in 2008. Simon Kinberg ("X-Men: First Class") will executive produce and write the premiere episode of "Rebels," which will premiere in fall 2014 on the Disney Channel and will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.

The new series, set in the two decades between "Star Wars" episodes three and four, finds the Empire hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a small band of rebels unites against it.

It will be produced by Lucasfilm and will feature many of the "Clone Wars" talents. Fans attending Star Wars Celebration Europe will be the first to get an exclusive look at the new series. Casting will be announced later.

"I couldn't be more excited to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. "I think 'Star Wars Rebels' will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about Star Wars."

Kinberg is joined as an executive producer by Dave Filoni, who served as supervising director of the animated "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," which debuted in 2008 and is winding down this year. Greg Weisman brings ("The Spectacular Spider-Man," "Gargoyles") is also executive producing.

RendarStillLives
05-20-2013, 11:04 AM
There you have it. Star Wars: Rebels. Hopefully we get to see.some of the stories already penned in the EU brought to life.

Maradona
05-20-2013, 11:21 AM
I like that the series might rely on the McQuarrie designs. I would still like to see the fan-made anime-style Tie Fighter series. I can't seem to find the link to it, though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Here is the official story (http://starwars.com/news/new-animated-series-star-wars-rebels-coming-fall-2014.html) on StarWars.com.

This is, to me anyway, the best news that has come out of the Disney purchase since Michael Arndt was announced. Finally they're going to explore the dark times! In the video, Dave mentions that it will be in CG, not traditional animation, so I hope it looks half as good as TCW did - I'm so glad that Joel Aron and Kilian Plunkett are confirmed as being on board. Presumably they'll be able to save on the budget by reusing the vast amount of ships and sets created for TCW. They're really putting a lot of their eggs in the Simon Kinberg basket, so hopefully he knows what he's doing! The fact that Dave is an executive producer and so heavily involved really gives me hope that they'll follow up on the characters from TCW, especially since the article mentions the Jedi still being hunted. There will also be less EU to retcon here so hopefully that aspect won't turn as many people away as TCW did.

El Chuxter
05-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Is this basically a semi-official canceling of the mythical live action series?

RendarStillLives
05-20-2013, 12:36 PM
Here is the official story (http://starwars.com/news/new-animated-series-star-wars-rebels-coming-fall-2014.html) on StarWars.com.

This is, to me anyway, the best news that has come out of the Disney purchase since Michael Arndt was announced. Finally they're going to explore the dark times! In the video, Dave mentions that it will be in CG, not traditional animation, so I hope it looks half as good as TCW did - I'm so glad that Joel Aron and Kilian Plunkett are confirmed as being on board. Presumably they'll be able to save on the budget by reusing the vast amount of ships and sets created for TCW. They're really putting a lot of their eggs in the Simon Kinberg basket, so hopefully he knows what he's doing! The fact that Dave is an executive producer and so heavily involved really gives me hope that they'll follow up on the characters from TCW, especially since the article mentions the Jedi still being hunted. There will also be less EU to retcon here so hopefully that aspect won't turn as many people away as TCW did.

I agree. There is a lot more area for them to dabble in than what was crammed into the Clone Wars. I'd still like to see the whole Halcyon/Horn story play out, Asohka's story, Anya Kuro's story, A'Sharad Hett's fall to the darkside. We may even find out what happens to Rex, Cody and Ventress. Always wondered why Alpha-17 was never in TCW.

El Chuxter, I am skeptical Star Wars could pull off a live action series. Even the best TV shows lack the effects and budget necessary for the expectations the fandom has for anything Star Wars. Look at the difference between Star Trek movies verses their television counterparts. Or Stargate. Falling Skies may be a cool TV show but it ain't anything close to a Star wars movie.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2013, 02:15 PM
I agree. There is a lot more area for them to dabble in than what was crammed into the Clone Wars. I'd still like to see the whole Halcyon/Horn story play out, Asohka's story, Anya Kuro's story, A'Sharad Hett's fall to the darkside. We may even find out what happens to Rex, Cody and Ventress. Always wondered why Alpha-17 was never in TCW.

El Chuxter, I am skeptical Star Wars could pull off a live action series. Even the best TV shows lack the effects and budget necessary for the expectations the fandom has for anything Star Wars. Look at the difference between Star Trek movies verses their television counterparts. Or Stargate. Falling Skies may be a cool TV show but it ain't anything close to a Star wars movie.
Alpha wasn't in TCW since they didn't want to have everyone's name starting with an A - Anakin, Ahsoka, Artoo, Alpha. So he was basically turned into Rex.

I really do want to see how the clones are integrated into the Imperial army - this show would probably be the best place for it.

The budget for the live-action show was the reason it stayed on the shelf for so long. Then again, it was mainly because Lucasfilm didn't have the budget and didn't want to have to compromise by working with another company - maybe Disney would have the cash? As I mentioned elsewhere, even though these series would take place in the same 19-year span, they seem like they would be dealing with different topics and characters. (Though if it follows TCW's lead, it will jump all over the place.)

RendarStillLives
05-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Alpha wasn't in TCW since they didn't want to have everyone's name starting with an A - Anakin, Ahsoka, Artoo, Alpha. So he was basically turned into Rex.

I really do want to see how the clones are integrated into the Imperial army - this show would probably be the best place for it.

The budget for the live-action show was the reason it stayed on the shelf for so long. Then again, it was mainly because Lucasfilm didn't have the budget and didn't want to have to compromise by working with another company - maybe Disney would have the cash? As I mentioned elsewhere, even though these series would take place in the same 19-year span, they seem like they would be dealing with different topics and characters. (Though if it follows TCW's lead, it will jump all over the place.)

I always thought Rex was cool but if he is intended to be Alpha then suddenly he became that much cooler in my eyes. I always wanted to know what happened to him and Ventress after the events of Obsession. I think TCW always kind of focused around the clones and other characters as well but mostly I saw it as a story through the eyes of the clones and Asohka. With folks who worked on TCW on board and how they set up the makings of the rebellion in TCW, I'd find it difficult to believe they wouldn't be tying it all in. I'm sure they'll wanna throw in some new stuff so it doesn't seem "same old" and keep it fresh but TCW was very successful at doing that throughout it's entire run and fans really embraced those characters. I wasn't into TCW at the begining and felt some stuff was a bitter pill to swallow. Like it would have to be it's own continuity if you included all the novels, comics and the earlier animated stuff. How can Obi-Wan and Anakin be everywhere at once? Thankfully they moved away from that and focused on other characters. Also bringing Darth Maul back completely diminished the events of TPM in my eyes. Anyone read Darth Plagueis? But I learned to let go, relax and enjoy the ride cause even the stuff I thought was ridiculous was being executed.rather well. In short, I can't wait for the new series.

JediTricks
05-21-2013, 05:37 PM
SDCC is a week before CEII, but is Dave going to be there? He was one of the first guests announced for CEII, and he'll have to have something to talk about other than the Clone Wars bonus content. The fact that he and Kennedy are both going to be there leads me to believe they'll show off some goods in Germany. And it would be a cop-out to the fans to say, "Welp, we already showed everything last week! Too bad you weren't at Comic Con!" It would also be a show of good faith to the core SW fandom, since literally every big-ticket item they showed at CVI has been cancelled by this point. No matter what, I'm sure we'll have some information before the summer's over.They could road-show it, but it sounds like they're going to skip SDCC for this and probably for Filoni as well - first time that'll happen in 6 years, I think, between Avatar: The Last Airbender and SW:TCW. I wonder if they'll bring it to the D23 Expo a month later though.

A show set between ANH and ESB would be cool for sure. I've just been interested in the between-trilogy period for quite a while, and after it seemed like Disney wanted to move completely away from the prequel storyline, this would be welcome news to me. And this would be a great way to occasionally tie up remaining TCW plot points where it makes sense - I would love, for instance, to check back up on Mandalore and see how things have changed under the Empire. They could also possibly reconfigure some of the lost scripts from TCW seasons six through eight.I guess, but I think it'll need strong foundation to really work or it'll be trying to hit too many targets at once, whereas between ANH and ESB there's already a foundation in play. Also, the dark times can't really have any victories for the rebels, or ANH's crawl won't make sense, so that'll be difficult to make a show around.

Did you not like the crossover vibe from the final TCW season five arc? I thought it was handled very well there.Nah, the AOTC to ROTS crossover? Not really, it just felt more of the same from TCW to me, not a strong pull towards ROTS.

I like that the series might rely on the McQuarrie designs. I would still like to see the fan-made anime-style Tie Fighter series. I can't seem to find the link to it, though.Yeah, McQuarrie is a great starting point, although I hope they're not too slavish to it, there's a reason the Y-wing art and the Death Star art changed so much.

The TIE Fighter anime was pulled by its creator because it was supposed to be a work in progress shown to a few people. Someone else took the video and added sounds and music (see the link in the 2nd post): http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/46299-Fan-made-Star-Wars-anime-video

Is this basically a semi-official canceling of the mythical live action series?No, that was already semi-officially canceled when Lucas said it was too expensive to produce on a weekly basis series. Disney has said that they aren't likely to make those produced scripts, BUT that they aren't saying no to the idea of a live action series, just probably not THAT one.

I really do want to see how the clones are integrated into the Imperial army - this show would probably be the best place for it.IMO, they should phase the clones out during this period, they're aging out and it's clear the Imperial troops of the OT are people, not clones (different heights and builds, less talented at warfare). Perhaps switching to "volunteers" that are really just conscripts would be the way to go.

The budget for the live-action show was the reason it stayed on the shelf for so long. Then again, it was mainly because Lucasfilm didn't have the budget and didn't want to have to compromise by working with another company - maybe Disney would have the cash? As I mentioned elsewhere, even though these series would take place in the same 19-year span, they seem like they would be dealing with different topics and characters. (Though if it follows TCW's lead, it will jump all over the place.)Lucas had the money, he just didn't want to lose his own money on the series, he wanted someone else to pay for it so he wouldn't be carrying all the risk.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-22-2013, 12:01 PM
I guess, but I think it'll need strong foundation to really work or it'll be trying to hit too many targets at once, whereas between ANH and ESB there's already a foundation in play. Also, the dark times can't really have any victories for the rebels, or ANH's crawl won't make sense, so that'll be difficult to make a show around.
The Clone Wars told a ton of varied stories, many of which didn't really have anything to do with the war itself, and I felt it was successful in doing so, so I'm not worried about that. This show can start out with showing Vader and the 501st continuing to hunt down and destroy the Jedi, there are lots of interesting ideas to explore there. They can show the criminal underworld growing stronger and more unruly, with characters from Jabba to Boba to Greedo to even Han and Chewie coming in to play. They could do more Droids-style adventures with R2-D2 and C-3PO. I assume they'll devote a good amount of time to showing how the various pockets of rebels formed, and they can explore many groups from all around the galaxy. And they can have skirmishes between the Rebels and Empire that don't go too well for the Rebels - they are the underdogs, after all, so I'd like to see them portrayed as such. I really don't think they'll have trouble coming up with stories for this time period, and it can all be tied around the idea of why the rebellion needed to be formed in the first place.

Nah, the AOTC to ROTS crossover? Not really, it just felt more of the same from TCW to me, not a strong pull towards ROTS.
I was talking about how the final arc had designs heavily influenced by the Death Star, showing the Republic moving towards being an even more militaristic entity, so crossover from the PT to the OT.

IMO, they should phase the clones out during this period, they're aging out and it's clear the Imperial troops of the OT are people, not clones (different heights and builds, less talented at warfare). Perhaps switching to "volunteers" that are really just conscripts would be the way to go.
Dave has said that he felt that the OT stormtroopers weren't clones, so you're probably correct that that's what we'll see. But even as the clones get older, I assume they'd at least be around for a while after ROTS, and I'd like to see what happens to them both as a whole and individually - particularly Rex, Cody, and Fives.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Dave has said that he felt that the OT stormtroopers weren't clones, so you're probably correct that that's what we'll see. But even as the clones get older, I assume they'd at least be around for a while after ROTS, and I'd like to see what happens to them both as a whole and individually - particularly Rex, Cody, and Fives.I wonder if they would hire Karen Traviss to pen some stories about that...

bigbarada
05-23-2013, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney took this opportunity to start retconning some of the plot points from the Prequels with the eventual goal of just pushing the Prequels out of the Star Wars continuity altogether.

Even if they don't go that far, I see them writing stories around the OT as if the Prequels had never happened.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-24-2013, 08:44 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney took this opportunity to start retconning some of the plot points from the Prequels with the eventual goal of just pushing the Prequels out of the Star Wars continuity altogether.

Even if they don't go that far, I see them writing stories around the OT as if the Prequels had never happened."As if millions of screen shots suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly edited. I'm not sure this would be something terrible to happen."

I think, of all my beliefs in the Star Wars mythos, the one thing I figured would never happen was a rewrite of existing events in the films. Messing up stuff with odd choices, ones I wouldn't have made? Sure. But a full-on ret-con? That makes SW just another film franchise, not a modern, collective fairy tale. And that IS something terrible that'd happen. :cry:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't think anything like that will happen in this show. Dave is a big fan and proponent of the prequels, so while obviously the show will eventually move towards ANH, it won't jettison the PT completely.

bigbarada
05-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. :D

Anyways, even if they don't try to push the Prequels out of continuity, of which I'm referring to Disney not Dave Filoni specifically, then I think they might at least downplay those films' significance as the years go by.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Yeah, like a From the Journal of the Wasn'ts... the PT was how Palpatine manipulated the history of the galaxy to report "that was how it happened," but in true Clue fashion, we get alternate endings until the real true one is revealed. There's your 12-film SW saga right there! ;)

Maradona
05-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah, like a From the Journal of the Wasn'ts... the PT was how Palpatine manipulated the history of the galaxy to report "that was how it happened," but in true Clue fashion, we get alternate endings until the real true one is revealed. There's your 12-film SW saga right there! ;)

"Journal of the Wasn'ts" is my new favorite quote.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Greg Weisman was at Denver Comic Con this past weekend and - hey, what do you know! - so was I. He spoke at a panel on the future of Star Wars and was really the only interesting part, surrounded by no-name bloggers and a Dark Horse guy who did nothing but bash the prequels and basically admit they had no idea what was going on (they didn't even know who any of the writers of the new films were going to be, despite that being one of the few actual confirmations).

Weisman said that he had only been working on the show for two weeks, evidently having been hired on Friday, May 17. They already knew it would be a show set between the trilogies when he was hired. I asked a question about George's involvement (since he's consulting on Episode VII and came up with the stories for TCW), and he said he hadn't met him at all in the two weeks he'd been working. But Weisman, Filoni, Kinberg, Pablo Hidalgo, and a few others have already come up with the stories for the first season and were going to be refining episodes four through seven this week. He confirmed that it will be CGI, not 2D animation. When someone (rudely) asked whether it would "screw over" the continuity like The Clone Wars did, Weisman said that it wouldn't go against anything from the films but also wouldn't be beholden to every single story that's ever come out, citing similar questions from his time on Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice. He also joked that Wedge Antilles would be the only character and that it would be entirely a monologue, so I'm surprised that hasn't spread online more. :p

bigbarada
06-06-2013, 04:35 PM
When someone (rudely) asked whether it would "screw over" the continuity like The Clone Wars did, Weisman said that it wouldn't go against anything from the films but also wouldn't be beholden to every single story that's ever come out, citing similar questions from his time on Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice. He also joked that Wedge Antilles would be the only character and that it would be entirely a monologue, so I'm surprised that hasn't spread online more. :p

I'm glad they're not going to allow the existing EU to become a straight-jacket for them, it's better to allow the show to stretch its creative legs and establish its own identity. If it ends up conflicting with some novel written 10, 15, or 20 years ago.... well, who really cares?

JediTricks
06-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Cool to hear. Did they talk at all about the characters they intended to use? This is an interesting series in that it doesn't take place when and where any major movie characters would be seen.

I'm not surprised the word didn't get out from this panel, these smaller cons popping up to eat SDCC's lunch aren't as connected, the numbers aren't there yet for most of them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Cool to hear. Did they talk at all about the characters they intended to use? This is an interesting series in that it doesn't take place when and where any major movie characters would be seen.

I'm not surprised the word didn't get out from this panel, these smaller cons popping up to eat SDCC's lunch aren't as connected, the numbers aren't there yet for most of them.
He didn't say anything about the actual content other than it takes place between Episode III and IV, a time period he was excited to explore due to all the possibilities. His Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/greg_weisman) has numerous examples of him denying spoiler requests, but he also tweets frequently, so there are occasionally some Rebels-related tidbits - on June 5, he tweeted about a story conference with Dave Filoni and someone whose name he considered a spoiler and didn't mention. I do think he'll be a fun, open presence at conventions and that sort of thing, similar to how Dave has been a really strong ambassador to the fans, but he's just not able to say much yet.

I don't think the series will be completely devoid of main characters - Vader and Palpatine will very likely make appearances (I have a hard time believing they'll pass up showing Vader hunting Jedi), and so will R2-D2 and C-3PO, I'm sure. Obi-Wan and Yoda are a toss-up, but they could explore a bit more with the Force ghosts if they so choose. I can also see them bringing in Leia more than Luke, particularly if Bail is going to have a role. Originally TCW was going to be about all-new characters and not Obi-Wan and Anakin, but I can't see Disney trying out all new characters with no connections to the films in this show.

Bryan Young from Big Shiny Robot says he was at the convention, and I saw his table, and he put up an audio interview with Weisman (http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/52825) that covers him getting hired and watching TCW (he says he's a fan of Ahsoka, so I wonder if that will make her more likely to appear in Rebels). I thought his site would have been one to have had more coverage overall, and he claims he was on the future of SW panel - though I'm reasonably sure he wasn't, as I know he's a big PT fan and there wasn't a kind word said about them the entire panel. Maybe he's talking about a different panel, though he did plan to be at that one.

DarkJedi5
06-08-2013, 12:14 AM
I asked a question about George's involvement (since he's consulting on Episode VII and came up with the stories for TCW), and he said he hadn't met him at all in the two weeks he'd been working. But Weisman, Filoni, Kinberg, Pablo Hidalgo, and a few others have already come up with the stories for the first season and were going to be refining episodes four through seven this week.

Feel free to take this with a grain of salt (or two, or three) but I recently shared a bus ride with Leland Chee and overheard him say that he hasn't seen George around the Lucasfilm HQ in San Francisco since the deal was finalized with Disney. I couldn't tell you what that means exactly, but it sounded like George's advisory role is either in low-gear at the moment or that it's being done from a distance.

JediTricks
06-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I don't think the series will be completely devoid of main characters - Vader and Palpatine will very likely make appearances (I have a hard time believing they'll pass up showing Vader hunting Jedi), and so will R2-D2 and C-3PO, I'm sure. Obi-Wan and Yoda are a toss-up, but they could explore a bit more with the Force ghosts if they so choose. I can also see them bringing in Leia more than Luke, particularly if Bail is going to have a role. Originally TCW was going to be about all-new characters and not Obi-Wan and Anakin, but I can't see Disney trying out all new characters with no connections to the films in this show.Vader and Palps I can't imagine being main characters, but that'd be very interesting if they were the focus.

R2 and 3PO I feel like they need a rest as main characters, the prequels overplayed that hand with ROTS especially. Force Ghosts, I dunno, it's very soon after Yoda said it was a rarity to have them.

Bryan Young from Big Shiny Robot says he was at the convention, and I saw his table, and he put up an audio interview with Weisman (http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/52825) that covers him getting hired and watching TCW (he says he's a fan of Ahsoka, so I wonder if that will make her more likely to appear in Rebels). I thought his site would have been one to have had more coverage overall, and he claims he was on the future of SW panel - though I'm reasonably sure he wasn't, as I know he's a big PT fan and there wasn't a kind word said about them the entire panel. Maybe he's talking about a different panel, though he did plan to be at that one.Ahsoka if she joins the rebels HAS to die in this series though, you can't have her getting involved again and not explain her absence in the OT any other way, but it'd be ok to have her, it'd make sense enough.

The Denver con doesn't list online the panelists for each panel? That should answer that question easily. And as for not a kind PT fan there, that's how it goes sometimes, gotta stand for what you believe in even in the face of adversity.

Feel free to take this with a grain of salt (or two, or three) but I recently shared a bus ride with Leland Chee and overheard him say that he hasn't seen George around the Lucasfilm HQ in San Francisco since the deal was finalized with Disney. I couldn't tell you what that means exactly, but it sounded like George's advisory role is either in low-gear at the moment or that it's being done from a distance.Doesn't surprise me in the least, as an advisor it'd be in the writing process right now which may not take place at Lucasfilm at all.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Dave Filoni posted a blog entry (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/06/13/sculpting-the-clone-wars-and-star-wars-rebels-with-darren-marshall/#more-22797) about sculptor Darren Marshall, who is leaving Lucasfilm Animation this week. The article shows his design for Oppo Rancisis from upcoming TCW content, and since Darren also sculpted the primary characters for Rebels, there's a small shot of Dave and Darren holding a stormtrooper sculpt. It's stylized with a higher "mouth" and more menacing-looking eyes, but it looks like it would fit right in with TCW, so it seems likely that they'll be following the same style.

TCW animation supervisor Keith Kellogg's Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/Keith_Kellogg) confirms his Rebels involvement as well.

Vader and Palps I can't imagine being main characters, but that'd be very interesting if they were the focus.

R2 and 3PO I feel like they need a rest as main characters, the prequels overplayed that hand with ROTS especially. Force Ghosts, I dunno, it's very soon after Yoda said it was a rarity to have them.
I wasn't saying that any of them had to be the main characters of the show necessarily, but I don't doubt that they'll be involved in some way. The reason I brought up the Force ghosts is that rumor has it that some of TCW's bonus content may delve into this subject a little bit, but if they wanted to explain it a little more, then they could have Obi-Wan and/or Yoda and/or Qui-Gon make an appearance.

Ahsoka if she joins the rebels HAS to die in this series though, you can't have her getting involved again and not explain her absence in the OT any other way, but it'd be ok to have her, it'd make sense enough.
She doesn't have to join the rebels, I was just using "Rebels" to refer to the show's title (though since it has no punctuation, I guess it's called "Star Wars Rebels," so maybe we should abbreviate it SWR). I can't imagine Dave not at least wanting to show where she is, but whether or not he does is a different story.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-25-2013, 12:59 PM
For those keeping track at home, the Celebration Europe first look at Star Wars Rebels will take place 6:30 a.m. EST/3:30 a.m. PST this Saturday morning. I'm not sure how much they can possibly have completed by this point, but hopefully there will at least be a good amount of concept art and information about it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Here is the official logo and some concept art (http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-celebration-europe-2013-star-wars-rebels-logo-art-and-details-revealed.html), including the main character's ship, called Ghost. The art is very McQuarrie-esque.

Here is the Star Wars Blog's (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/07/27/swce-2013-star-wars-rebels-panel-with-dave-filoni-liveblog/) coverage. Evidently the show will take place closer to ANH than ROTS, but it sounds from various sources that Dave seemed coy about whether or not he'd bringing in Clone Wars characters, so it's seeming pretty likely. That makes me so happy.

Bleeding Cool has more updates (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/27/star-wars-rebels/), including hi-res photos of the concept art (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/27/star-wars-rebels-logo-and-concept-art-revealed-at-star-wars-celebration-europe/) shown at the panel.

There's also an exclusive Rebels logo T-shirt (http://www.reedpopsupplyco.com/product-p/13924.htm) that sold out in person within minutes but is available through their site. I ordered mine. Can you tell I'm looking forward to this show? :D

JediTricks
07-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Here is the official logo and some concept art (http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-celebration-europe-2013-star-wars-rebels-logo-art-and-details-revealed.html), including the main character's ship, called Ghost. The art is very McQuarrie-esque.

Here is the Star Wars Blog's (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/07/27/swce-2013-star-wars-rebels-panel-with-dave-filoni-liveblog/) coverage. Evidently the show will take place closer to ANH than ROTS, but it sounds from various sources that Dave seemed coy about whether or not he'd bringing in Clone Wars characters, so it's seeming pretty likely. That makes me so happy.

Bleeding Cool has more updates (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/27/star-wars-rebels/), including hi-res photos of the concept art (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/27/star-wars-rebels-logo-and-concept-art-revealed-at-star-wars-celebration-europe/) shown at the panel.

There's also an exclusive Rebels logo T-shirt (http://www.reedpopsupplyco.com/product-p/13924.htm) that sold out in person within minutes but is available through their site. I ordered mine. Can you tell I'm looking forward to this show? :DI promoted your post to news with a little editing.

Good stuff, although I don't get a feeling of Star Wars from the Ghost image, the Ghost looks like a cross between the middle of the Falcon and the Narcissus from Aliens, while the other ships just seem like 1970s sci-fi imagery.

The TIE Fighter smashing into that natural column on what used to be Alderaan is neat, the lack of response from an empty world makes such a statement - nobody stops to help out or take advantage or anything, a pilot makes a mistake and crashes and likely dies and does so all alone.

The logo is ok, not WOW GOTTA HAVE IT for me but fine.

That stormtrooper is really offputting at first glance, but it could work in a cartoony universe.

Beast
10-07-2013, 09:23 PM
The teaser trailer for Rebels has been officially released. Looks good for what it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1_F7zg4B30

The official Star Wars Rebels teaser trailer from Lucasfilm gives viewers their first look at the upcoming animated series' visual style, which is heavily influenced by the work of original Star Wars concept artist Ralph McQuarrie. Star Wars Rebels takes place between Star Wars: Episode III and IV, a time period previously unexplored on-screen, as the Empire cements its power and a rebellion begins to form. The highly anticipated show, executive produced by Dave Filoni, Simon Kinberg, and Greg Weisman, is coming Fall 2014 to Disney XD.

Can't wait. Sad to see the end of Clone Wars, but this looks like it'll be fun on the bun.

El Chuxter
10-07-2013, 10:18 PM
It took me twice as long to read that description as it did to watch the teaser! lol

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Hmm, it's hard to gauge much of anything from that all-too-brief trailer, but I like the brush strokes that appear in the space background - it's a nice carryover from TCW. Not sure why they mention the Jedi, as I wonder how much of them we'll see in this show. But the mirroring of the ANH opening shot likely shows how this series will lean more towards the OT. Anyway, there will be a panel showing new art at NYCC soon, so finally we'll have some more to go on.

Darth Metalmute
10-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Its hard to be impressed by something that I basically saw in the opening scene of Family Guy Blue Harvest.

However, It does give me some hope for the new show.

I just hope they don't make Vader look like a fool like they did to Grevious and Dooku.

Beast
10-12-2013, 02:57 PM
New info from NYCC on StarWars.Com. Including a new video and a video tease of one of the baddies.

http://starwars.com/news/nycc-2013-meet-the-inquisitor-the-new-face-of-evil-in-star-wars-rebels.html

Darth Metalmute
10-12-2013, 06:14 PM
New info from NYCC on StarWars.Com. Including a new video and a video tease of one of the baddies.

http://starwars.com/news/nycc-2013-meet-the-inquisitor-the-new-face-of-evil-in-star-wars-rebels.html

ugh... Another dark jedi? How many of these did Vader employ?

JediTricks
10-15-2013, 06:01 PM
ALL OF THEM! Palpatine and his buddies had a "evil clumsy losers" internship opening at every jobs fair.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-10-2013, 02:03 PM
A commercial with a rapping llama (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxvPvC5Bvec) confirms that Star Wars Rebels will air on Saturday mornings next year. There's no need to subject yourself to the commercial - the only SW content is a crude animation applied to 2D images we've already seen of the Ghost and some Imperial ships. But now we know it's following in TCW's Season Five footsteps on Saturdays.

El Chuxter
12-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Rapping llama?

OMG OMG OMG AWESOMESAUCE!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Groove Bricks (http://www.groovebricks.com/lego-star-wars-summer-2014-set-details/) revealed information for a few 2014 Lego sets, including these two related to Star Wars Rebels:

Phantom (75048) – 234 pieces

Take on evil Imperial forces in The Phantom with opening cockpit, 2-way spring-loaded shooter, rear cargo compartment and more.

Fly The Phantom into battle against the evil Empire!

Join the Rebel resistance against the evil Empire in The Phantom attack shuttle, as seen in the exciting Star Wars: Rebels animated TV series! Place young Rebel hero Ezra Bridger in the detachable cockpit and store his cadet helmet and blaster in the carg
Fly The Phantom into battle against the evil Empire!

The Ghost (75053) – 929 pieces

Pilot The Ghost with 2 cockpits, 360-degree rotating gun turret, spring-loaded shooters, detachable escape pods, Holocron and more.

Join the Rebel heroes aboard The Ghost!

Get ready to battle the Empire with the Rebel heroes’ awesome starship – The Ghost – as seen in the thrilling Star Wars: Rebels animated TV series! Stay on course with Rebel minifigures in the two cockpits and put Zeb on patrol in the 360-degree rotating
Join the Rebel heroes aboard The Ghost!

So of course the pertinent thing to take away here is that two of the characters will be named Ezra Bridger and Zeb (unless it was transcribed incorrectly, of course). I find "Zeb" to be close to Zev Senesca, so maybe it'll actually be a young Zev? Eh, probably not. But still, I remember the Lego sets revealing some info about The Clone Wars several months ahead of time due to marketing materials, so I'm sure they'll provide us with some meatier information soon.

El Chuxter
01-07-2014, 12:23 AM
Ezra Bridger? That's an amazingly human name. (Not sure of the context of Ezra, but "Bridger" seems a lazy nod to the way this should bridge the trilogies.)

Early to complain, and I'm not, I just expected a name that sounded more Star Wars, less Indiana Jones or American Graffiti. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Ezra Bridger? That's an amazingly human name. (Not sure of the context of Ezra, but "Bridger" seems a lazy nod to the way this should bridge the trilogies.)

Early to complain, and I'm not, I just expected a name that sounded more Star Wars, less Indiana Jones or American Graffiti. :D

Early to complain? You?! Why, that's never been known to happen. ;) :D

JediTricks
01-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Bridger sounds no less out of place than Luke and Ben to my ears. An interesting take on the name as well, "bridging", but probably way off the mark.

bigbarada
01-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Not sure of the context of Ezra

Ezra was an Old Testament era scribe in Israel who led a large group of Israelites back to Jerusalem after their captivity at the hands of the Babylonians. The Babylonians were defeated by the Persians in 539 BC and Cyrus (the king of Persia at the time) allowed the Israelites to return to their land. There were three main groups of Jews who returned to Jerusalem, the first led by Zerubbabel in 538 BC, the second led by Ezra in 458 BC, and the third led by Nehemiah in 445 BC. I believe Ezra is the one who reestablished the temple worship led by the Levitical priests and ritual sacrifices after their return. Zerubbabel was the Persian appointed king over the reestablished Israel (but he wasn't a part of the Davidic line) and I think Nehemiah was the first governor of Jerusalem after their return from exile. Ezra is traditionally credited with having written the books of Ezra, Nehemiah, and 1 & 2 Chronicles in the Christian Old Testament and the Jewish Tanakh.

Not that that has anything to do with Rebels, mind you. Most likely they picked the name because they just liked how it sounded. :D

I actually like the name because it does have a very OT (Original Trilogy, not Old Testament, in this context) feel to it. Also, it's not filled with apostrophes like most of the lame EU names.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Ezra? Know what would've been cooler? Alternative Bridger. Better than Ezra.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Entertainment Weekly (http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/10/star-wars-rebels-photo-stormtroopers-inquisitor/#) has yet another photo of the Inquisitor and some stormtroopers running down the halls of what appears to be the Death Star (or something with the same design). Some of the details on the troopers' armor looks like it's painted on instead of textured - it's an interesting style both similar to and different from The Clone Wars, and I'd like to see more soon. Also note that the Inquisitor's lightsaber only has one blade ignited and one half of the ring seen in the previous image.

The print version (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdlcI8QCcAA6FI9.jpg:large) has a few lines of an interview with Kinberg, though nothing earth-shattering.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-27-2014, 12:21 PM
MakingStarWars.net reported on some information (http://makingstarwars.net/2014/01/oh-nerra-star-wars-rebels-character-names-the-legacy-of-cham-syndulla/) found in a Lego catalog that includes some more character names:
*Ezra Bridger
*Kannan Jarrus
*Hera Syndulla

We've already heard about Ezra, and some other toy leaks have mentioned Kannan, but the most interesting is Hera Syndulla. Cham Syndulla was the Twi'lek freedom fighter who fought to liberate Ryloth in Seasons One and Three of The Clone Wars, so there's undoubtedly some kind of a relation there. Cool!

EDIT: Dave Filoni has revealed another new character (http://www.moviepilot.de/news/star-wars-rebels-interview-mit-produzent-dave-filoni-127542) – Chopper, the old astromech droid! He looks like a McQuarrie-style R5. It also looks like R2-D2 will be in the series, as the site includes character key artwork for both droids. The video includes Dave, art director Kilian Plunkett, animation supervisor Keith Kellogg, and concept artist Amy Beth Christianson talking about the new droid.

Lord Malakite
01-27-2014, 07:24 PM
EDIT: Dave Filoni has revealed another new character (http://www.moviepilot.de/news/star-wars-rebels-interview-mit-produzent-dave-filoni-127542) – Chopper, the old astromech droid! He looks like a McQuarrie-style R5.
That name sounds familiar. Wasn't one of the Clone Troopers from The Clone Wars also named Chopper?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-27-2014, 09:54 PM
That name sounds familiar. Wasn't one of the Clone Troopers from The Clone Wars also named Chopper?

Yup. It was a clone stationed on Christophsis in "The Hidden Enemy" who would cut off Battle Droid fingers and keep them as mementos. Hasbro even made a figure of him. Maybe since TCW named a main clone after an old droid (Rex), the new show will name a main droid after an old clone. :D

Maradona
01-27-2014, 10:58 PM
I like how this series so far seems more influenced by the original trilogy than any other iteration of Star Wars.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2014, 12:45 PM
The official site (http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-rebels-meet-chopper-grumpy-astromech-droid.html) now has their write-up about Chopper – or, more formally, C1-10P (note how the "1-1" looks like an "H") – plus the same video and images, in addition to a shot of the Saga Legends Chopper figure. The figure looks pretty simple without any dirty paint wash, and hopefully the arms can at least fold out, even though this is a simple figure.

The article mentions that the show takes place four years prior to ANH, which is a little different than the five years mentioned at NYCC – well, I believe Hidalgo said it was 14 years after ROTS, so maybe they truncated the timeline or something? It was probably just a ballpark estimate anyway.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-31-2014, 10:49 AM
HothBricks posted an image (http://www.hothbricks.com/2014/01/lego-star-wars-75053-ghost-gros-plan-sur-les-minifigs/) of the minifigures from the Ghost Lego set – it's really only two character reveals, but it confirms previous reports.

Zeb Orretios is a purple alien in a yellow outfit – another Lakers reference perhaps? He's either a Tarnab (like Senator Mot Not Rab or taxi pilot Rayno Vaca) or based on McQuarrie's Chewbacca concept, so I wonder if he's going to be the show's substitute for Chewie. I like his Spanish-sounding name.

Hera Syndulla is a green female Twi'lek. As has been said before, Cham Syndulla was the rebel leader on Ryloth, so it makes sense that his daughter (or niece, or whoever she is) would carry that spirit. She wears brown and orange, a very '70s choice that should fit in with the OT visually.

Kanan Jarrus, whose name has also been seen spelled "Kannan," includes a lightsaber, but the character has been blacked out presumably for a bigger character reveal later. If there's a Jedi in the crew, it's obviously Kanan. Rumors suggest that Kanan would be unaware of his or her Force abilities until finding a holocron with relevant information, which I think would be far preferable to a Jedi who survived Order 66 – obviously you can't stop Force-sensitive children from being born, so maybe finding them is part of the Inquisitor's role.

The fourth character is the Stormtrooper, and we've already seen their new design. It looks like the minifig is a little stylized with a more exaggerated "frown" on the helmet, so I guess this line will follow the show's designs like The Clone Wars sets also did.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Lucasfilm Animation released six propaganda posters today that they'll be mailing to 2500 recipients tomorrow. Here is a compilation of all six (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfpwmozIQAEFHhh.jpg:large), with larger versions being distributed to various sites and collected on the official Star Wars Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/starwars). They're all pretty awesome! I hope they release these as posters at some point.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-11-2014, 05:34 PM
And now we have another official character reveal (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/02/11/freddie-prinze-jr-star-wars-rebels-first-look/4802651/) – Kanan Jarrus, the "cowboy Jedi" played by Freddie Prinze Jr. and the star of the show. He was young when Order 66 happened and has been laying low, forsaking his Jedi past during the rise of the Empire. I'm sure people will be bothered by another Jedi being alive, but it looks like they're going about it in an interesting way. He also has the "thunderbird" logo (or whatever it's going to be called) on his shoulder that eventually morphs into the Alliance logo (sorry, Marek family – your crest's no good here!).

Looking at various comments on Facebook and news sites, some have pointed out that his backstory, outfit, and name are very reminiscent of Kyle Katarn (with a little bit of Saw Gerrera thrown in there for good measure). It's also been noted that this is the first Latino leading character or actor in Star Wars – after Jimmy Smits, I don't even think there are any others...?

This other article on USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/02/11/star-wars-rebels-franchise-future-tv-movies/4802803/) has a few quotes from the crew on the tone of the show and that sort of thing. Nothing particularly illuminating but it's good to keep hearing more.

Darth Metalmute
02-11-2014, 07:25 PM
He also has the "thunderbird" logo (or whatever it's going to be called) on his shoulder that eventually morphs into the Alliance logo (sorry, Marek family – your crest's no good here!).

Only if the show doesn't get cancelled. ;)

Here's what I don't like so far. The Inquisitor and Kanan can never met. If the Inquisitor fails to capture Kanan, then Vader will just mop up. And if they never met... whats the point of the main characters?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-14-2014, 12:23 PM
And here's Ezra Bridger! (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Star-Wars-Rebels-Ezra-1077773.aspx) He's a 14-year-old street smart pickpocket – I'm even picking up an Aladdin vibe in his character design. Evidently he has some Force abilities – he doesn't know it's the Force, perhaps similarly to how Harry Potter was able to occasionally use magic at a young age without knowing what it was. While I'm sure some people will groan that there are now two Force-sensitive people in the main crew, it will be interesting to see how the life of a Force-sensitive person develops (as they're not just going to stop being born) when there's no structure of the Jedi Order.

The accompanying video also shows several new pieces of concept art, including an AT-ST. There's even a clip of the animation model with hair flowing, something they were trying to do on TCW but rarely did.

bigbarada
02-15-2014, 10:08 PM
I was originally annoyed by all of the Force-user characters in this show, but kids these days think of only three things when they think of Star Wars: lightsabers, lightsabers, and more lightsabers. So, obviously we are going to have lots of lightsabers swinging around in any new Star Wars media. It's probably best to just accept that fact and stop being bothered by it.

I do like a lot of what I've seen so far. That alien Zeb guy looks really cool and I think Ezra looks like an interesting character as well.

My excitment for the show is slowly building. When's the actual premiere?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-17-2014, 10:13 PM
I was originally annoyed by all of the Force-user characters in this show, but kids these days think of only three things when they think of Star Wars: lightsabers, lightsabers, and more lightsabers. So, obviously we are going to have lots of lightsabers swinging around in any new Star Wars media. It's probably best to just accept that fact and stop being bothered by it.

I do like a lot of what I've seen so far. That alien Zeb guy looks really cool and I think Ezra looks like an interesting character as well.

My excitment for the show is slowly building. When's the actual premiere?
There's no confirmation yet. Of course, the one-hour special premieres on Disney Channel sometime this Summer/Fall before it goes to Disney XD. Other than that, the haven't said anything.

But today they did reveal two new short trailers, so that's something:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/02/17/new-star-wars-rebels-trailers-revealed/

We've also learned that another new character on the show is a female who wears a Mandalorian helmet n the same style of Bo-Katan and the Nite Owls. Evidently her name is Sabine, which is a little close to Satine. I wonder if they'll address what happened to Mandalore after we last saw it on TCW or if she just uses the gear.

I'm not bothered by the Jedi since the two characters explore two different ideas of post-Order 66 Jedi - a survivor and a newborn - so there are lots of interesting ideas they can explore with both of them. I don't want Sabine to just feel like a lady Boba or anything, though. I was pretty surprised to see her on the packaging at the Hasbro event.

Anyway, I like both the weapons we've teen for Ezra - a seemingly customized/scratch-built lightsaber and an electric slingshot similar to the Nightsisters's bows. They're new and familiar at the same time, which seems to be the goal for a lot of this show.

Darth Metalmute
02-18-2014, 10:36 PM
While I'm sure some people will groan that there are now two Force-sensitive people in the main crew, it will be interesting to see how the life of a Force-sensitive person develops (as they're not just going to stop being born) when there's no structure of the Jedi Order.

The kid makes more sense than the adult, since you can't stop force "users" from being born. I do like the hire of Freddie Prinze Jr. as the voice of Kanan.

El Chuxter
02-18-2014, 11:40 PM
Why's the kid have a slingshot that throws blaster bolts?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Club Jade (http://clubjade.net/?p=57920#more-57920) has a collection of coverage from today's Star Wars Rebels panel at WonderCon. The page also includes a video featuring Hera and Chopper in the Ghost cockpit facing off against TIE Fighters. The character animation is definitely more broad and, well, animated than TCW. It'll take some getting used to, but I like it so far.

They announced that Kevin Kiner will return to score Rebels (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtxExG9QW8c), which is great news. They played the main theme, which evidently incorporates music from the films. The video has him playing a piece of music that may or may not be the main theme, but it sounds great!

EDIT: Rebels Report (https://soundcloud.com/rebelsreport/star-wars-rebels-show-theme-wondercon) recorded the main theme at the presentation and posted it online. It incorporates the Main Theme and Force theme from the films, and I like it a lot – it's very evocative of the original trilogy. It's around a minute long, so I wonder how much of it will be played in the actual show intro?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-29-2014, 03:53 PM
This USA Today interview with Sabine voice Tiya Sircar (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/04/29/star-wars-rebels-trailer-first-look/8462295/) mentions that a trailer for the series will debut online early Sunday morning and air that evening with The New Yoda Chronicles.

The article also includes a photo of stormtroopers (http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/f962ccd869c9283be948a3001c3cacb9ace83650/c=360-24-1792-1104&r=x383&c=540x380/local/-/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2014/04/29//1398801674000-REB-IA-2805.jpg) firing their blasters with what appears to be a group of Wookiees behind them. Maybe we'll see the Empire enslaving them, as they did in the EU?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-02-2014, 11:05 AM
I go over the details of the figures in this thread (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php/48323-Fall-2014-Saga-Legends-and-Mission-Series-revealed?p=777877#post777877), but Sandtroopers.com posted a photo (http://www.sandtroopers.com/newspics/SWR_preview03.jpg) revealing some new characters for Rebels.

Cikatro Vizago is a yellow-skinned Devaronian. I wonder if they'll use some of the characterization for Villie here? His apparent partner IG-RM is a droid based on Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for IG-88 (hence the "RM"), which was previously turned into a Legacy Collection figure in 2009.

Wulffwarro and Kitwarr are Wookiees, with the former being large and bulky with the latter being more svelte. Since the photo from the show includes Wookiees in chains, it does indeed appear that we'll see the Empire enslaving or imprisoning at least a few Wookiees.

Also revealed here is the fact that Obi-Wan will appear in the series. So will R2-D2 and C-3PO, which we knew about. I wonder if the Rebels will visit Tatooine or something, or if Obi-Wan is out and a little more active in the galaxy? Obi-Wan could conceivably cross paths with R2-D2 – they could even explain why he doesn't remember owning a droid – but C-3PO could be a bit much.

Empire (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=40916) posted a short preview of the preview, since that's a thing that happens nowadays. Here's a low-quality capture (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma8wxQBBjNA) of the Good Morning America clip, showing Kanan wielding his lightsaber against some Imperials among other things.

In this Nerdist interview (http://www.nerdist.com/2014/04/dave-filoni-discusses-star-wars-rebels/), Dave Filoni discusses how the lightsabers will look more like the ones in ANH, with thinner blades that quiver a little. They also describe the Inquisitor like Sherlock Holmes:

N: One of the forces they’re going up against is the Inquisitor. Tell me more about him and creating a villain in this universe. It’s got to be a challenge.

DF: It’s always hard. It’s not just about giving someone a red lightsaber. You have to have such a good reason for doing it. And you have to figure out what makes them tick. To me, the Inquisitor, where he’s different is -maybe this is a big spoiler, you get two good ones today – he’s the kind of guy that can just look at you and from the way you stand, from the way you talk, he can tell where you’re from and what your tendencies are. He kind of analyzes you, takes things in, and knows how to defeat you.

N: So he’s rocking a little Sherlock.

DF: A lot like that. In swordplay, depending on how you counter him, he’ll know where you studied. He understands things. I find that Maul was a very physical villain. He would cut you down out of sheer ferocity. Vader is a villain who’s unique because he’s almost like this indifferent pillar of anger and fear and hate, and the only thing that breaks that is Luke, through love. He’s completely unique in that way. The Inquisitor is more in the intellectual realm. He’s a combatant, yes, but he’s actually somewhat elegant and he likes to dissect you down almost like a game because he’s learning. To him knowledge is power. The more he learns about you, the more he learns about how to defeat you and your friends. And that makes him a particularly nasty kind of spider to trap.
So I wonder if he's going to play a bit like Thrawn.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Hero Complex confirms (http://herocomplex.latimes.com/tv/star-wars-rebels-first-look-at-the-villainous-rebel-hunter-agent-kallus/) that David Oyelowo will be playing Agent Kallus. Oyelowo's involvement in Rebels and/or Episode VII has been rumored for quite a while now, but seeing as how he looks nothing like the character I think it's safe to say he won't be playing Kallus onscreen. Kallus' ANH-inspired '70s style mutton chops are awesome! We've seen the character with his helmet, but now we know that his sideburns match the helmet design. He's described as the Inquisitor's right-hand man and a member of the Imperial Security Bureau. This is Oyelowo's second Lucasfilm role, having played Lightning in Red Tails.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-15-2014, 05:13 PM
SPOILERS ahead...

The Visual Guide (https://twitter.com/TheWolfPackCCMM/status/489110923575963649/photo/1) shows Bail Organa's new design, which blends his PT look with the more utilitarian Alderaan designs of ANH. The guide mentions that he loans the droids to Imperial Governor Pryce on Lothal, so maybe they'll be used as Rebel spies?

Also, this image of Cikatro Vizago (http://jedi-bibliothek.de/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/CikatroVizago.jpg) has been floating around the Internet. He's a Devaronian who was first revealed via a Hasbro upcoming figure list. It's been mentioned that his name roughly translates from Spanish and French to "scar face," which is a cool way to do a nod without being overly obvious.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-15-2014, 08:06 PM
SPOILERS ahead...

Also, this image of Cikatro Vizago (http://jedi-bibliothek.de/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/CikatroVizago.jpg) has been floating around the Internet. He's a Devaronian who was first revealed via a Hasbro upcoming figure list. It's been mentioned that his name roughly translates from Spanish and French to "scar face," which is a cool way to do a nod without being overly obvious.Does he have a little friend? :hurt:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Entertainment Weekly confirms (http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/17/jason-isaacs-star-wars-rebels/) Jason Isaacs as the Inquisitor! He's best known as Lucius Malfoy from the Harry Potter films but has also done voice work for Avatar: The Last Airbender and other projects. The teaser also shows how the creators don't just want him to be a disposable villain or a carbon copy of Vader or Maul. Interestingly, he taps into the dark side but of course isn't considered a Sith.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Entertainment Weekly confirms (http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/17/jason-isaacs-star-wars-rebels/) Jason Isaacs as the Inquisitor! He's best known as Lucius Malfoy from the Harry Potter films but has also done voice work for Avatar: The Last Airbender and other projects. The teaser also shows how the creators don't just want him to be a disposable villain or a carbon copy of Vader or Maul. Interestingly, he taps into the dark side but of course isn't considered a Sith.Does he have two friends who hang around him? :tired: :o

El Chuxter
07-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Lucius, not Draco. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Lucius, not Draco. :pDoes he have a son? :mad:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-19-2014, 05:01 PM
Does he have a copy of the SW Rebels: The Visual Guide book? :)

But to avoid potential spoilers, I haven't even opened it yet; the cover looks great! :rolleyes: Guess I'll have to wait until fall to read it...

JediTricks
07-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Does he have an alternate life where his son lived and his wife died, and he visits each life when he goes to sleep?