PDA

View Full Version : What is coming up next in your collecting world?

JediTricks
06-16-2013, 02:30 PM
So, we're just breaking through one of Hasbro's darkest times in the modern era, and collecting in general has been pretty weak, not only Hasbro Star Wars, but pretty much every major brand.

With Comic-Con coming up, it got me thinking about what types of things I'll be looking for there, and what I'm looking forward to delving into collecting in general for 2013, part 2; so I figured I'd ask the same question of you guys.

My collecting will start with Transformers, which has been in a massive slump, very little offerings the past 6 months, and I'm hoping the Generations line can kick into higher gear for the next 6. Metroplex is at the forefront of that collecting focus, followed by the comics pack deluxes.

I'll also be continuing with Transformers: Robots in Disguise and More than Meets the Eye comic book series from IDW.

Hasbro Star Wars I guess will get back on board, and in theory I'll be back with it. I'm not loving what I'm seeing from the 3.75" line so far though, and Saga Legends doesn't have much at first that I want, although there are a few pieces that have caught my eye on a Kenner-style appeal, and Jango looks really good as a statue. I'm really not feeling the look of the 6" SDCC exclusive Boba Fett figure itself, it just looks like an upscaled 3.75" figure and the shoulder armor work is WORSE than any previous going back to 1979.

I think Koto's ArtFX+ Star Wars pieces will get focus coming up. I know the newer Koto's ice cube silicone SW pieces will be in my collection, and maybe as some gifts for friends as well.

Diamond Select Toys' Star Trek starships will be on my docket, definitely looking forward to the Klingon Bird of Prey and the Excelsior.

I can't think of anything else that's really getting my attention.

So what's your collecting future look like?

TeeEye7
06-16-2013, 05:01 PM
My collecting has dwindled down to Funko SW bobble head figures. I reached Hasbro burn-out years ago.

Maradona
06-16-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm looking forward to the next wave of GI Joe figures, which are supposed to hit next month, but after that, I think GI Joe will go through another transformation and maybe I will be left behind. I have a subscription to Masters of the Universe and DC Universe Mattel lines and those figures are monthly, though I'm mainly waiting for the new Castle Grayskull in December. I want to pick up a Metroplex when it hits, but I'm not a very consistent Transformers customer. I like the Marvel Universe figures and some Marvel Legends, but those are sporadic. The Square Enix DC figures are amazing, but expensive. Thankfully those are few and relatively far between, as are the DC Collectibles figures which I like several of, the upcoming stand out to me is Black Adam.

With Star Wars, I have not gone through such a prolonged period of not buying any new figures at retail since pre-1995, post-1985. I like the jumbo figures from Gentle Giant, but those are not retail and do not come out too frequently (for which I am very glad).

If all the toy lines that I once liked or still do stopped making toys that I want to collect or went into another iteration that was in vogue at the moment, I don't think I'd be too upset. Less money out the door would not bother me.

sith_killer_99
06-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Well, I sorta stopped collecting the figures a while ago. However, I am planning on collecting the 6 inch Black line.

Honestly, my focus shifted from basic figures to larger format higher end stuff back in 2006.

JediTricks
06-17-2013, 03:41 PM
My collecting has dwindled down to Funko SW bobble head figures. I reached Hasbro burn-out years ago.Wow, that is a very limited collecting focus, do you display them all? Is it hypnotizing?

I'm looking forward to the next wave of GI Joe figures, which are supposed to hit next month, but after that, I think GI Joe will go through another transformation and maybe I will be left behind. I have a subscription to Masters of the Universe and DC Universe Mattel lines and those figures are monthly, though I'm mainly waiting for the new Castle Grayskull in December. I want to pick up a Metroplex when it hits, but I'm not a very consistent Transformers customer. I like the Marvel Universe figures and some Marvel Legends, but those are sporadic. The Square Enix DC figures are amazing, but expensive. Thankfully those are few and relatively far between, as are the DC Collectibles figures which I like several of, the upcoming stand out to me is Black Adam.

With Star Wars, I have not gone through such a prolonged period of not buying any new figures at retail since pre-1995, post-1985. I like the jumbo figures from Gentle Giant, but those are not retail and do not come out too frequently (for which I am very glad).

If all the toy lines that I once liked or still do stopped making toys that I want to collect or went into another iteration that was in vogue at the moment, I don't think I'd be too upset. Less money out the door would not bother me.GI Joe does seem to be in quite a state of flux.

I didn't realize the Castle Grayskull thing went forward, I knew they were waiting for a minimum number of preorders and that was the last I heard.

Metroplex IMO is one of those things where you don't need to be consistent, just have an interest to display special items. It will tower over anything you have, no matter what.

You've certainly got a nice diverse set of collecting going on there at least, so not a lot of risk that they'd all stop at once.

I hear ya on the current SW collecting being the worst since the "dark times" collecting of '85 to '95!

The jumbo Kenner-style figures from GG, I keep telling myself I'll buy one but I keep not pulling the trigger, I guess I like knowing they're out there more than owning one. Boba Fett with J-hook missile launching back very nearly got me though. :D

Well, I sorta stopped collecting the figures a while ago. However, I am planning on collecting the 6 inch Black line.

Honestly, my focus shifted from basic figures to larger format higher end stuff back in 2006.Understandable. What was it about '06 that did it specifically, do you remember?

I want the 6" line to be premium quality, Hasbro plus Gentle Giant should make great stuff, but I'm not yet seeing worthy fruits to that in early images.

bigbarada
06-17-2013, 04:50 PM
My collecting future looks pretty interesting right now, because I really have no firm plans on how I'm going to move forward. I've sold off most of my collection over the last year to fund my comic book project. So, in a way, I get to start over and collect whatever I want.

In this lull, I've actually found myself developing an appreciation for the old Titanium series. I've only bought one (the TIE Bomber), but am looking at picking up a few more. Since I never paid much attention to them while they were in stores, it's almost like collecting a new line of toys.

As for the new stuff coming up, I'm probably looking forward to the 5-POA Saga Legends line the most. Too Prequel heavy right off the bat, but I could see myself buying a couple of Shocktroopers, Darth Vader and maybe that Jango Fett. If the price is really $5 each figure, then that's easily within my impulse buying threshold (which maxes out at $7.50 for a 3.75 inch figure). In way, I think it's the noticeable drop in the quality of the super-articulated figures over the last couple of years that has damped my enthusiasm for them. I'm actually really hoping the 5-POA figures sell well so that we can get more figures in this style.

The 6" line looks pretty awesome, but I'm just not sure I will be able to justify that price tag. I want most of the figures I've seen, but when the reality of paying $20 each hits, I will probably find myself passing on most of them. Unfortunate, but it's just the financial reality of the situation. I love the concept of the 6" line, but Hasbro has likely priced me out of the hobby here.

Some of the rumored figures for the 3.75" Black Series seem pretty exciting, but only Vizam is a must buy right now. Merumeru will depend greatly on how the figure turns out and I will probably only buy Toryn Far to use for trading fodder or just resell. Even though I have no real interest in the character, I still want to buy her to show my support for these kinds of figures. I can't remember any of the other rumored figures for the line off the top of my head, so I think that says a little bit about how interested I am in them. Wave 1 of the Black Series is probably the first premiere wave of any new Star Wars line where I haven't found a single figure to be interested in.

As for other toys, I gave up collecting non-SW toy lines back in 2008 and have never really looked back. I am following a couple of different comic book series' right now. Mostly Brian Michael Bendis' X-Men books. So that's really the only other thing I collect.

El Chuxter
06-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Let's see.

I'll keep getting whatever G.I. Joe I can find, and hoping it all gets released. Not sure what's next for them; Hasbro does a great job with what they do, but they really don't seem to recognize sometimes that the franchise has the potential to be much bigger than it is. (Look at the original ARAH line. It preceded Transformers, and lasted longer. In fact, IIRC, it lasted beyond the hiatus and Generation 2 as well; if not, it was around for at least part of G2's brief existence.)

Transformers, I'm still a pick-and-choose guy focusing on good updates to G1 characters (or characters who fit in well, like the Reveal the Shield Lugnut or GDO Powerdive). Oddly, I'm most excited about the IDW Bumblebee.

Comics, still reading (not so much collecting, but I guess it applies) the G.I.Joe and Transformers titles, Hawkeye, Walking Dead, Atomic Robo, the TMNT reboot, and a few Vertigo and Vertigo-esque titles (Fables, Saga, American Vampire). I want to check out the new Brian Wood title and The Star Wars (based on Lucas's original notes; this sounds like it should be a blast).

Star Wars, I wish I could say more. I like some of the later solicited 3.75" Black Series stuff, but I've no interest in re-re-re-re-resculpts that cost $10 and probably won't be perfect (and some are clearly really lacking, like Padme). I have no idea if the stuff I want will actually see release, though, the way things are going. :(

JediTricks
06-17-2013, 05:18 PM
My collecting future looks pretty interesting right now, because I really have no firm plans on how I'm going to move forward. I've sold off most of my collection over the last year to fund my comic book project. So, in a way, I get to start over and collect whatever I want.

In this lull, I've actually found myself developing an appreciation for the old Titanium series. I've only bought one (the TIE Bomber), but am looking at picking up a few more. Since I never paid much attention to them while they were in stores, it's almost like collecting a new line of toys. Interesting, I like the idea of clearing out and looking at new things. Titaniums (3-inch, I'm assuming) were a really satisfying line for me, and there's absolutely nothing like it on the market now. I wonder how much more of that you'll be doing, part of why I was so heavy into the 3.75" figures and the Titaniums is that I didn't want to miss out later, and it's burned a lot of cash in doing so. Going back later is the "what if" road not taken, I'm quite curious to see how that will go for you, I hope satisfyingly.

As for the new stuff coming up, I'm probably looking forward to the 5-POA Saga Legends line the most. Too Prequel heavy right off the bat, but I could see myself buying a couple of Shocktroopers, Darth Vader and maybe that Jango Fett. If the price is really $5 each figure, then that's easily within my impulse buying threshold (which maxes out at $7.50 for a 3.75 inch figure). In way, I think it's the noticeable drop in the quality of the super-articulated figures over the last couple of years that has damped my enthusiasm for them. I'm actually really hoping the 5-POA figures sell well so that we can get more figures in this style.I think the price on singles is $6 and 2-packs is $10. I hear ya on the Saga Legends kenner-articulation figures having more focus on execution quality than the regular modern super-articulated figures.

The 6" line looks pretty awesome, but I'm just not sure I will be able to justify that price tag. I want most of the figures I've seen, but when the reality of paying $20 each hits, I will probably find myself passing on most of them. Unfortunate, but it's just the financial reality of the situation. I love the concept of the 6" line, but Hasbro has likely priced me out of the hobby here.If this was a line with dozens of figures a season, I'd feel that way, but 4 figures a season at $20 a piece hasn't priced me out just yet... we'll see when we get there though.

Some of the rumored figures for the 3.75" Black Series seem pretty exciting, but only Vizam is a must buy right now. Merumeru will depend greatly on how the figure turns out and I will probably only buy Toryn Far to use for trading fodder or just resell. Even though I have no real interest in the character, I still want to buy her to show my support for these kinds of figures. I can't remember any of the other rumored figures for the line off the top of my head, so I think that says a little bit about how interested I am in them. Wave 1 of the Black Series is probably the first premiere wave of any new Star Wars line where I haven't found a single figure to be interested in.Poor Toryn Farr. :p

As for other toys, I gave up collecting non-SW toy lines back in 2008 and have never really looked back. I am following a couple of different comic book series' right now. Mostly Brian Michael Bendis' X-Men books. So that's really the only other thing I collect.Was it a singular event that pulled you out of non-SW collecting, or more of a slide away?

bigbarada
06-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Was it a singular event that pulled you out of non-SW collecting, or more of a slide away?

I think it was a slow slide away for most of it. I actually held an interest in GI Joe until 2009 when Rise of Cobra came out. But that movie dealt such a serious blow to my interest in GI Joe that it has still never recovered. Maybe in a few years I will catch the latest GI Joe movie on TV or something and my interest will be rekindled, but I kind of doubt it.

Something similar happened to me in 2005 after I watched ROTS for the first time. I completely lost interest in Star Wars for several months, but my interest picked back up in 2006 when Hasbro started focusing on OT characters again.

sith_killer_99
06-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Understandable. What was it about '06 that did it specifically, do you remember?

I want the 6" line to be premium quality, Hasbro plus Gentle Giant should make great stuff, but I'm not yet seeing worthy fruits to that in early images.

I had lost interest for some time, but it was really a matter of timing. I moved from Fort Knox to Fort Hood in 06 and prepping to deploy in early 07 through mid-08. So I just didn't have the time to keep up and after 15 months down range, I REALLY didn't feel like going back and collecting the stuff I had missed.

El Chuxter
06-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Maybe in a few years I will catch the latest GI Joe movie on TV or something and my interest will be rekindled, but I kind of doubt it.

If you want to get sucked back in, check out the Resolute animated movie and the Renegades show (which you may or may not like, since it's a totally different take, but it was quite well-done). The Hama-penned continuation of the Marvel comic is pretty stellar, but the other comics in the new universe are hit and miss. Retaliation was actually pretty decent; it wasn't great, but it spent about half the movie cleaning up the mess from the craptacular first one so it could set up what should be a true G.I.Joe movie with #3.

JediTricks
06-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Let's see.

I'll keep getting whatever G.I. Joe I can find, and hoping it all gets released. Not sure what's next for them; Hasbro does a great job with what they do, but they really don't seem to recognize sometimes that the franchise has the potential to be much bigger than it is. (Look at the original ARAH line. It preceded Transformers, and lasted longer. In fact, IIRC, it lasted beyond the hiatus and Generation 2 as well; if not, it was around for at least part of G2's brief existence.)

Transformers, I'm still a pick-and-choose guy focusing on good updates to G1 characters (or characters who fit in well, like the Reveal the Shield Lugnut or GDO Powerdive). Oddly, I'm most excited about the IDW Bumblebee.

Comics, still reading (not so much collecting, but I guess it applies) the G.I.Joe and Transformers titles, Hawkeye, Walking Dead, Atomic Robo, the TMNT reboot, and a few Vertigo and Vertigo-esque titles (Fables, Saga, American Vampire). I want to check out the new Brian Wood title and The Star Wars (based on Lucas's original notes; this sounds like it should be a blast).

Star Wars, I wish I could say more. I like some of the later solicited 3.75" Black Series stuff, but I've no interest in re-re-re-re-resculpts that cost $10 and probably won't be perfect (and some are clearly really lacking, like Padme). I have no idea if the stuff I want will actually see release, though, the way things are going. :(Dang, you posted right before I responded last, sorry.

GI Joe ARAH is a weird situation, I think its fans keep it from growing further. It lasted longer, as you said, but flamed out harder while TF quietly exited its first run. Its fans are very segmented, you have toy fans, comic fans, cartoon fans, and they all seem to want very different things now (sorry movies, there don't seem to be any dedicated fans of you guys). And what originally drove the line, myriad of cool vehicles, now takes a back seat for Hasbro.

Transformers, it seems ok to me to be pick n choose.

I'll never rectify the fact that YOU of all people are reading the Hawkeye comic on purpose.

JediTricks
06-17-2013, 06:12 PM
I think it was a slow slide away for most of it. I actually held an interest in GI Joe until 2009 when Rise of Cobra came out. But that movie dealt such a serious blow to my interest in GI Joe that it has still never recovered. Maybe in a few years I will catch the latest GI Joe movie on TV or something and my interest will be rekindled, but I kind of doubt it.

Something similar happened to me in 2005 after I watched ROTS for the first time. I completely lost interest in Star Wars for several months, but my interest picked back up in 2006 when Hasbro started focusing on OT characters again.The ROC movie was preceded by a lull in the line, now that you mention it, so it was a bad place to be, it's like SW right now, the brand pushed you out it sounds like. And then the content really damaged that as well both with ROC and ROTS, I see what you mean.

I had lost interest for some time, but it was really a matter of timing. I moved from Fort Knox to Fort Hood in 06 and prepping to deploy in early 07 through mid-08. So I just didn't have the time to keep up and after 15 months down range, I REALLY didn't feel like going back and collecting the stuff I had missed.Ooh, moving, that's a big one! The last 2 times I moved were sorta like that, only I was back into it within about 6 months in limited fashion, no discipline with me. ;)

bigbarada
06-17-2013, 07:29 PM
If you want to get sucked back in, check out the Resolute animated movie and the Renegades show (which you may or may not like, since it's a totally different take, but it was quite well-done). The Hama-penned continuation of the Marvel comic is pretty stellar, but the other comics in the new universe are hit and miss. Retaliation was actually pretty decent; it wasn't great, but it spent about half the movie cleaning up the mess from the craptacular first one so it could set up what should be a true G.I.Joe movie with #3.

I don't know what it would take for me to get pulled back into GI Joe at this point. I've always preferred the more realistic characters from the toy line, so maybe if we got a super-realistic film that was similar in tone to Black Hawk Down, that might do it. Instead of having Cobra as these over-the-top comic book villains, they could actually write them as a realistic terrorist organization AND NO NINJAS!

I think Resolute was definitely on the right track, I remember really enjoying that series. Maybe I'll check out Renegades. I wonder if they have it on YouTube.

The ROC movie was preceded by a lull in the line, now that you mention it, so it was a bad place to be, it's like SW right now, the brand pushed you out it sounds like. And then the content really damaged that as well both with ROC and ROTS, I see what you mean.

I did pick up a few of the Pursuit of Cobra figures in early 2010, but my interest in those toys faded within just a couple of days and I put them aside and forgot about them.

I actually remember Snake-Eyes being my all-time favorite character when I was a kid; but I never owned a toy of him. So, my dream was to own a Snake-Eyes figure when I got older. However, by the time ROC came out, it was Snake-Eyes overload in the toy aisles.

It's kind of the same with Darth Vader, he was my all-time favorite Star Wars figure for almost 20 years, but there has just been so much Darth Vader merchandise made that I've almost completely lost interest in the character. I don't even own a Darth Vader figure right now. I'm trying to see if having a Vader-shaped void in my collection will actually help revive my interest in the character. It seems to be working for Darth Vader, because after only 6-7 months, I'm starting to pay attention to Vader figures again. It's been over 3 years since I sold my last Snake-Eyes figure and my interest in that character hasn't returned yet.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-19-2013, 04:37 PM
I only collect the Hasbro 3 3/4" SW line, and it's crazy how dead this year has been so far. Aside from four Class I ships and three Class II ones, there's been basically nothing in this country - I did get the Canadian MH and TCW figures, though it's not like they were tremendously exciting or anything. We've had lulls in the first half of the year before, and it's basically been an annual occurrence since 2008 that I've gotten used to, but in terms of how much product is available this is worse than anything I can recall. (For many people, I assume it's felt this way since last year's distribution woes, which were not really an issue for me.) I expected Hasbro to be able to ship out the later TVC waves better, as they planned to do, but everything I've seen on my far-too-infrequent-but-what's-really-the-point store visits has either been big fat nothin' or wave 3, which was more than half TPM repacks.

In this downtime, I've been getting older items I'd missed from online and a few fortunate comic shop visits. I consider myself to be a loose completist, even though I buy everything packaged first, and my list of needs is continually shrinking. For posterity's sake (and, uh, if anyone wants to trade/sell me some of these), here's everything I'm missing, aside from a few Disney build-a-droid parts that I still want to swap:

69. Bastila Shan (The Vintage Collection, 2011)
24. Boba Fett (Movie Heroes, 2012 - European release)
*Sith Speeder Game with Darth Maul (Episode I, 2000 - Tyger Electronics)
*Boba Fett Figure with Cup (Revenge of the Sith, 2005)
*Electronic X-wing Fighter (POTF2, 1995)
*Trade Federation Tank (Episode I, 1999)
*Luke Skywalker's X-wing Fighter with R2-D2 Figure ("Saga," 2002 - Toys R Us Exclusive)
*Hyperdrive Repair Kit (Episode I, 1999)
*Tatooine Disguise Kit (Episode I, 1999)

I'll continue to be a completist for this scale, and even though the first wave of TBS doesn't look exciting (which isn't helped by the fact that we've known about these figures for over a year, and they don't have the awesome build-a-droid feature anymore to make them more interesting), it sounds like there are more interesting figures coming later in the year and I've been jonesing for my fix. :p I don't really have the space for a 6" line, as I'm thinking they will get released more and more often and add up quickly, at least for a little while. I'll very likely get at least R2-D2 and Darth Maul, but I'll have to rein this in before it gets out of control.

My friend recently gave me his old Ewok Village and Dagobah playsets, and in looking for replacement Endor parts, I found that it was going to be cheaper to buy an entire complete set - so that was actually my first-ever vintage Kenner purchase. The two sets (I'll be returning the incomplete Ewok Village to my friend) are the first vintage items I've owned at all. I'm not sure what I want to do from here. I've wanted those two pieces specifically for a long time partly since they have no modern counterparts and have always looked cool in and of themselves. I was kind of thinking that things would slow down a little and I'd be able to focus on getting a set of vintage figures, but that was before the new films were announced. So this might be something I have to wait a while longer to do.

My collecting has dwindled down to Funko SW bobble head figures. I reached Hasbro burn-out years ago.
I don't own any Funko products, but I really dig the fact that they have the license for so many different franchises and iconic characters and trot them all out in the same style (even if some are bobbleheads and some aren't, they look similar). The fact that the same look includes both Mary Poppins and a Game of Thrones White Walker is just crazy.

Honestly, my focus shifted from basic figures to larger format higher end stuff back in 2006.
I wonder how many lapsed collectors will be brought back by the 6" line. I also wonder if it won't be up to their standards after collecting higher-end products for years.

bigbarada
06-21-2013, 11:34 PM
I wonder how many lapsed collectors will be brought back by the 6" line. I also wonder if it won't be up to their standards after collecting higher-end products for years.

I believe you are thinking about this backwards. As someone who is used to paying $8-10 per figure, then of course we would expect the quality on a $20 figure to be twice as good. However, someone who is used to paying $100-$150 (and even up to $300-$400) per figure is going to be VERY forgiving of a $20 toy.

What people seem to be forgetting is that the 6" figures are still going to be toys sold in the toy aisle, not high-end collectibles. I think Hasbro's spiel about catering to collectors is just hype to promote this line. They will still need a significant number of these figures to sell to kids for the line to have any sort of longevity.

Snowtrooper
06-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Because of how dead the whole 3 3/4 scene has been, I've been focusing way more on prop replicas. I've gotten some really nice ones over the last year, including a full set of stormtrooper armor. I've also been focusing a little more on Star Trek ships/weapons. I've gotten the Klingon BOP and the Kruge disruptor and have plans for Excelsior and maybe Enterprise E. I'm by no means out of collecting SW 3 3/4 figures, but its going to be far more limited than it was before. I'm not sure about collecting the 6 in line. That'll be a wait and see for me.

El Chuxter
06-22-2013, 10:12 AM
I have decided to collect the complete cookbooks and Food Network DVDs of Paula Deen. I have a feeling those will be tough to come by in the future. :evil:

Maradona
06-22-2013, 10:17 AM
I have decided to collect the complete cookbooks and Food Network DVDs of Paula Deen. I have a feeling those will be tough to come by in the future. :evil:

I suspect you can put her career in the RIP section.

JediTricks
06-24-2013, 09:36 PM
I don't know what it would take for me to get pulled back into GI Joe at this point. I've always preferred the more realistic characters from the toy line, so maybe if we got a super-realistic film that was similar in tone to Black Hawk Down, that might do it. Instead of having Cobra as these over-the-top comic book villains, they could actually write them as a realistic terrorist organization AND NO NINJAS!

I think Resolute was definitely on the right track, I remember really enjoying that series. Maybe I'll check out Renegades. I wonder if they have it on YouTube.For me, if there's no Cobra or lite sci-fi and lite-ninja stuff, there's no reason to have the ARAH concept there at all, it's just another military movie. Part of the appeal of GI Joe ARAH is the unique, colorful characters and weapons and vehicles and scenarios, the ability to be a standout personality and behavior while still working together to stop an enemy that is far too different from anything previous fought to use conventional military tactics and behaviors. And I think at this point ARAH has usurped the GI Joe name, so it'd take a big reboot with strong vision to break away from that. What do you think the GI Joe appeal would be without the ARAH elements would be for you?

I did pick up a few of the Pursuit of Cobra figures in early 2010, but my interest in those toys faded within just a couple of days and I put them aside and forgot about them.Yeah, same here.

It's kind of the same with Darth Vader, he was my all-time favorite Star Wars figure for almost 20 years, but there has just been so much Darth Vader merchandise made that I've almost completely lost interest in the character. I don't even own a Darth Vader figure right now. I'm trying to see if having a Vader-shaped void in my collection will actually help revive my interest in the character. It seems to be working for Darth Vader, because after only 6-7 months, I'm starting to pay attention to Vader figures again. It's been over 3 years since I sold my last Snake-Eyes figure and my interest in that character hasn't returned yet.I think it's because there are so many mediocre Vaders and Snake-Eyes figures out there, just rehashing beats without addressing real issues. That's what is supposed to make Sideshow's 12" versions special, but they still had their own issues too.

I only collect the Hasbro 3 3/4" SW line, and it's crazy how dead this year has been so far. Aside from four Class I ships and three Class II ones, there's been basically nothing in this country - I did get the Canadian MH and TCW figures, though it's not like they were tremendously exciting or anything. We've had lulls in the first half of the year before, and it's basically been an annual occurrence since 2008 that I've gotten used to, but in terms of how much product is available this is worse than anything I can recall. (For many people, I assume it's felt this way since last year's distribution woes, which were not really an issue for me.) I expected Hasbro to be able to ship out the later TVC waves better, as they planned to do, but everything I've seen on my far-too-infrequent-but-what's-really-the-point store visits has either been big fat nothin' or wave 3, which was more than half TPM repacks.Do you really count those class 1 and 2 as new ships? Just one of them is ACTUALLY new in any meaningful way, the MTT Droid, to me the rest are uninspiring rehashes of existing pieces, and most seem like a step down. Then again, I don't actually own any of them, so I'm only judging based on seeing them.

This lull has really sucked the interest out of the brand for me, this feels different from the lull like the post-AOTC lull where at least there was a hunger and a hope for something good. This just seems to me like the brand is dead in the water and not suggesting hope of any kind. Considering last year ended with a lull too, it seems like this lull has also run longer, but interest in what's next tapered off quickly and has kinda flatlined.

I'll continue to be a completist for this scale, and even though the first wave of TBS doesn't look exciting (which isn't helped by the fact that we've known about these figures for over a year, and they don't have the awesome build-a-droid feature anymore to make them more interesting), it sounds like there are more interesting figures coming later in the year and I've been jonesing for my fix. :p I don't really have the space for a 6" line, as I'm thinking they will get released more and more often and add up quickly, at least for a little while. I'll very likely get at least R2-D2 and Darth Maul, but I'll have to rein this in before it gets out of control.Lack of the BAD parts killed my interest in a lot of these, possibly all of the first 2 waves.

The 6" line I'll dabble in, but at the price to quality, I don't think I'll invest much.

My friend recently gave me his old Ewok Village and Dagobah playsets, and in looking for replacement Endor parts, I found that it was going to be cheaper to buy an entire complete set - so that was actually my first-ever vintage Kenner purchase. The two sets (I'll be returning the incomplete Ewok Village to my friend) are the first vintage items I've owned at all. I'm not sure what I want to do from here. I've wanted those two pieces specifically for a long time partly since they have no modern counterparts and have always looked cool in and of themselves. I was kind of thinking that things would slow down a little and I'd be able to focus on getting a set of vintage figures, but that was before the new films were announced. So this might be something I have to wait a while longer to do.Nice gets, those are really cool, I had 'em both as a kid and wrecked Dagobah quite well. :D

The new films are a big mystery I think, collecting may not wait for them, but Disney may not care if collectors wait.

I wonder how many lapsed collectors will be brought back by the 6" line. I also wonder if it won't be up to their standards after collecting higher-end products for years.I suspect unless Hasbro gets a home run with the first 3 waves, they're going to struggle. They're going into a new scale where they already struggle with Marvel, and Mattel struggles with DC and MOTU, yet with a higher pricetag. I'd like to see them hit that home run though.

I believe you are thinking about this backwards. As someone who is used to paying $8-10 per figure, then of course we would expect the quality on a $20 figure to be twice as good. However, someone who is used to paying $100-$150 (and even up to $300-$400) per figure is going to be VERY forgiving of a $20 toy.

What people seem to be forgetting is that the 6" figures are still going to be toys sold in the toy aisle, not high-end collectibles. I think Hasbro's spiel about catering to collectors is just hype to promote this line. They will still need a significant number of these figures to sell to kids for the line to have any sort of longevity.I dunno BB, when we last had collectors leave the Hasbro line for premiums - usually GG or Koto or Sideshow - whenever they took a look at the new big thing from hasbro they'd keep their quality concerns at the forefront and be very unforgiving, with only maybe an AT-AT or a BMF to coax cash out of them. Hasbro is going into the older collecting market, these are made with Gentle Giant, they're highly articulated which is a turn off for kids apparently, they're more expensive than Marvel Legends or DC Universe which are less kid-focused; if Hasbro starts trying to cut corners to grab more of the kid segment, they're going to cut themselves off at the knees by alienating both markets. If I'm spending $150 for a near-perfect Darth Vader, what about a $20 highly imperfect Vader would appeal to me? I think John is right and that's a hurdle rather than a help. Plus, it doesn't even tie into their old collections.

Because of how dead the whole 3 3/4 scene has been, I've been focusing way more on prop replicas. I've gotten some really nice ones over the last year, including a full set of stormtrooper armor. I've also been focusing a little more on Star Trek ships/weapons. I've gotten the Klingon BOP and the Kruge disruptor and have plans for Excelsior and maybe Enterprise E. I'm by no means out of collecting SW 3 3/4 figures, but its going to be far more limited than it was before. I'm not sure about collecting the 6 in line. That'll be a wait and see for me.Slow-playing it seems to pay off for you in those areas, perhaps that is the right way to be.

I have decided to collect the complete cookbooks and Food Network DVDs of Paula Deen. I have a feeling those will be tough to come by in the future. :evil:I dunno, I've already heard from folks who donated that stuff to charity, gonna be a flood of it rather than collectible unless folks have book & merch burnings... oh the irony of that!

I suspect you can put her career in the RIP section.I wonder if she's going to be popular with a... certain set of folks after this.

El Chuxter
06-25-2013, 01:10 AM
I'll give Deen credit where it's due. I'm not going to stop using some of her recipes. They aren't good for you, but, dammit, Southern food isn't supposed to be! (And that's the kind of food that's driven several members of my extended family to their grave, so, although I don't want to overindulge, I've been exposed to it from an early age and love it.)

The craziest irony about the saturation of a few main G.I.Joe characters is that there are STILL vintage figures of these characters that have not been updated. I'd buy red-mask Cobra Commander, tan camo Duke, or Ninja Force Snake Eyes in a heartbeat. And that's not counting different variations they could make, like Renegades Baroness (with the red armor), unmasked Snake Eyes, Krake as Cobra Commander II from the IDW comics, green armor Firefly, movie-accurate Retaliation Cobra Commander, etc. I think a lot of others would buy these without groaning about another stinkin' Cobra Commander, too. But we still get the same old black Snake Eyes, silver-mask Cobra Commander, catsuit Baroness, etc. Heck, if they insist on making Snake Eyes, and they've already done updates of some Brazil-only characters who were repaints (Glenda as pilot Scarlett, Ninja-Ku Storm Shadow), why not slap red and silver paint on a new Snake Eyes and call him Invasor Snake Eyes. Kids would think he's a cool new Snake Eyes, grownups would know he's an Invasor.

bigbarada
06-25-2013, 12:46 PM
So what's the deal with the Paula Deen thing? Is it just because she said the n-word 30 years ago in private conversations? Seriously? Seems like a ridiculous double standard to me, especially when African-American rappers/comedians can use the word hundreds of times in their songs. As for the other accusations against her, isn't she innocent until proven guilty in a court of law?

For me, if there's no Cobra or lite sci-fi and lite-ninja stuff, there's no reason to have the ARAH concept there at all, it's just another military movie. Part of the appeal of GI Joe ARAH is the unique, colorful characters and weapons and vehicles and scenarios, the ability to be a standout personality and behavior while still working together to stop an enemy that is far too different from anything previous fought to use conventional military tactics and behaviors. And I think at this point ARAH has usurped the GI Joe name, so it'd take a big reboot with strong vision to break away from that. What do you think the GI Joe appeal would be without the ARAH elements would be for you?

For me, as a kid, it was the more realistic looking Joes that were the most interesting for me. Guys like Flint, General Hawk, Footloose, Lt. Falcon, etc. were the ones I gravitated to the most. I also liked Snake-Eyes, but that was based on his cartoon appearances where his ninja abilities were extremely downplayed. As GI Joe started to creep more into the sci-fi/comic book style, then I lost interest. I think the 1986 assortment was was my last hurrah as GI Joe fan. I picked up a few figures from the 1987 collection, namely Falcon, and I kept tabs on GI Joe all the way into the 1990s, but as they got further and further from reality my interest never rematerialized.

I don't mind if Cobra is crazy and a little out there, but I've always preferred that the GI Joe unit itself stay as realistic as possible.

Also, I never read the comic books as a kid and my only exposure to the GI Joe universe was from the cartoon. Since most modern versions of Joe seem to be based on the comic, then that's probably why I haven't felt any special connection to any of it.

I dunno BB, when we last had collectors leave the Hasbro line for premiums - usually GG or Koto or Sideshow - whenever they took a look at the new big thing from hasbro they'd keep their quality concerns at the forefront and be very unforgiving, with only maybe an AT-AT or a BMF to coax cash out of them. Hasbro is going into the older collecting market, these are made with Gentle Giant, they're highly articulated which is a turn off for kids apparently, they're more expensive than Marvel Legends or DC Universe which are less kid-focused; if Hasbro starts trying to cut corners to grab more of the kid segment, they're going to cut themselves off at the knees by alienating both markets. If I'm spending $150 for a near-perfect Darth Vader, what about a $20 highly imperfect Vader would appeal to me? I think John is right and that's a hurdle rather than a help. Plus, it doesn't even tie into their old collections.

You might be right. I'm thinking that some collectors might welcome the change and the fact that their wallets can breathe again. It's also possible that Hasbro is more interested in drawing in all-new collectors rather than enticing old-time collectors back into the fold. So they might be aiming at the Marvel Legends crowd or just people who have never collected Star Wars before and would be too intimidated by the sheer number of figures in the 3.75" line or the price of the Sideshow 12" figures.

Overall, though, I'm pretty optimistic about the possibilities of the 6" line. The only line that might have me more excited when I think about the possibilities is the upcoming 5-POA Saga Legends line. As long as things keep going the way they are for the SA 3.75" line, then I think my interest will continue to fade as time goes on.

El Chuxter
06-25-2013, 02:55 PM
So what's the deal with the Paula Deen thing? Is it just because she said the n-word 30 years ago in private conversations? Seriously? Seems like a ridiculous double standard to me, especially when African-American rappers/comedians can use the word hundreds of times in their songs. As for the other accusations against her, isn't she innocent until proven guilty in a court of law?

I think the media's focusing on her N-bomb because that's the only thing she's actually admitted to. The lawsuit alleges much worse; while that's not been decided on, I think it's the one-two punch of admitting using a racist word on top of the allegations that are making everyone drop her. They're all rather in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, since they're going to get complaints whether they keep her or not.

I might not agree with what she said, but it'd be pretty tough to find a white person in their 60s or older in the South who hasn't said that. I'll judge her on her meatloaf.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Do you really count those class 1 and 2 as new ships? Just one of them is ACTUALLY new in any meaningful way, the MTT Droid, to me the rest are uninspiring rehashes of existing pieces, and most seem like a step down. Then again, I don't actually own any of them, so I'm only judging based on seeing them.
The Yoda starfighter is new, even if it's based on a mix between the larger AOTC and ROTS starfighters. They might not be never-before-made, but the new paint jobs on the Class II look good. I actually wish Hasbro had done more with this line, since I like the idea of the ship and two combatants in one package. Maybe it will continue with the cheap figures?

For Class I, I consider those new as well, even if they are all resculpts. The AOTC starfighter is pretty crappy, but the others are pretty good toys if not great collectibles. I'm actually pretty interested in seeing the ROTS ones, since they don't seem to be too scaled-down, and the original versions were too bulky.

This lull has really sucked the interest out of the brand for me, this feels different from the lull like the post-AOTC lull where at least there was a hunger and a hope for something good. This just seems to me like the brand is dead in the water and not suggesting hope of any kind. Considering last year ended with a lull too, it seems like this lull has also run longer, but interest in what's next tapered off quickly and has kinda flatlined.
Thankfully the lull will be over soon, and hopefully there will be more interesting stuff shown off at SDCC.

I dunno BB, when we last had collectors leave the Hasbro line for premiums - usually GG or Koto or Sideshow - whenever they took a look at the new big thing from hasbro they'd keep their quality concerns at the forefront and be very unforgiving, with only maybe an AT-AT or a BMF to coax cash out of them. Hasbro is going into the older collecting market, these are made with Gentle Giant, they're highly articulated which is a turn off for kids apparently, they're more expensive than Marvel Legends or DC Universe which are less kid-focused; if Hasbro starts trying to cut corners to grab more of the kid segment, they're going to cut themselves off at the knees by alienating both markets. If I'm spending $150 for a near-perfect Darth Vader, what about a $20 highly imperfect Vader would appeal to me? I think John is right and that's a hurdle rather than a help. Plus, it doesn't even tie into their old collections.
I agree with all of this. I hope this line does well for them but I really don't think the high-end collectors will be the ones supporting it.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-26-2013, 02:20 PM
My collecting has never really ended, but there have been several dry years.

As far as SW goes, I always keep up with the following:
- music (at least NEW stuff, of which there's been an insufficient amount IMHO :( )
- EU novels, many of the "background" books
- trading card sets
- most video (unless it's just a new packaging design)
- a few 3 3/4" figures (only if I like them)
- some cheap-meaning-inexpensive stuff (like holiday bagged Lego sets, pencils, etc.)

Comic books are hit-or-miss, unless they're SW ones I like, but I still buy a couple here and there.

Bear (for my classroom, as the school I teach at has a bear mascot) and turtle (always liked the animal) items like figurines, sculptures, or images.

Clothing and souvenirs from places I have been to before.

Pittsburgh sports items I like.

That's about it. I sound like some old guy...

bigbarada
07-07-2013, 07:35 PM
What do you think the GI Joe appeal would be without the ARAH elements would be for you?

I've been thinking about this for the last few days and I think the answer is that I'm a fan of the military first and I only liked GI Joe because they were the closest thing to a high-quality, military-themed, action figure line when I was a kid.

Nowadays, they have military-themed toy lines, but the quality is just not there. So I can put up with some sci-fi goofiness in many of the GI Joe characters as long as Hasbro still produces the more realistic characters to balance it out. If EVERY character becomes completely detached from the real-world military, then I just lose interest in the whole thing.

JediTricks
07-08-2013, 12:22 PM
The Yoda starfighter is new, even if it's based on a mix between the larger AOTC and ROTS starfighters. They might not be never-before-made, but the new paint jobs on the Class II look good. I actually wish Hasbro had done more with this line, since I like the idea of the ship and two combatants in one package. Maybe it will continue with the cheap figures?

For Class I, I consider those new as well, even if they are all resculpts. The AOTC starfighter is pretty crappy, but the others are pretty good toys if not great collectibles. I'm actually pretty interested in seeing the ROTS ones, since they don't seem to be too scaled-down, and the original versions were too bulky.It's a new mold, but it's not exactly a new ship or even something anybody actually wanted.

I've been thinking about this for the last few days and I think the answer is that I'm a fan of the military first and I only liked GI Joe because they were the closest thing to a high-quality, military-themed, action figure line when I was a kid.

Nowadays, they have military-themed toy lines, but the quality is just not there. So I can put up with some sci-fi goofiness in many of the GI Joe characters as long as Hasbro still produces the more realistic characters to balance it out. If EVERY character becomes completely detached from the real-world military, then I just lose interest in the whole thing.82-86
http://www.yojoe.com/action/82/
http://www.yojoe.com/action/83/
http://www.yojoe.com/action/84/
http://www.yojoe.com/action/85/
http://www.yojoe.com/action/86/
The good guys are all still fairly grounded, they're culled from various military, while '83 on starts to also distinguish as individuals. Cobra carries the "colorful idiots" weight in the line.

Meanwhile, the modern line's new product (not throwback):
http://www.yojoe.com/action/09/
http://www.yojoe.com/action/10/
http://www.yojoe.com/action/11/
http://www.yojoe.com/action/12/
http://www.yojoe.com/action/13/
There's something dull about these Joes, they're too samey, they're not individuals, largely they're military still but somehow they're too much the same thing over and over again, and Cobra isn't as colorful the closer to the 2 movies you get.

I honestly think the problem isn't the military styling, it's the BORING aspect, the dullness of this line, especially at the price.