PDA

View Full Version : Custom Sail Barge

JediTricks
06-22-2013, 02:29 PM
This is someone's custom sail barge that they put on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Custom-Made-Jabbas-Sail-Barge-/190857980844

It's a very nice-looking piece, but also serves to highlight the limitations Hasbro has in attempting to make one of these.
- This seller is asking $4k for it, plus $250 shipping.
- It's 5 feet long, yet still not actually very big inside, note the lack of a Jabba figure.
- There are no exciting play features.

So as cool as this piece is, and it is very cool, it's also a roadsign for what won't work as a production piece. This thing is double the length of the BMF, if you try to cut it down to the size of the largest-ever SW vehicle there, you would end up with something that either cannot fit many figures OR doesn't look enough like the sail barge. You also would have no play features of note, aside from a few opening hatches. So basically, you'd have a misshapen set replica, which just doesn't seem like it has a lot of profit potential, unfortunately.

I really like the fact that this thing exists, that someone had the patience and passion to do it; but am bummed at the same time by its existence proving what Hasbro's been saying, that it's not likely to be feasible.

El Chuxter
06-22-2013, 03:09 PM
What a dummy. That dude included IG-88 when he wasn't in that scene. lol

Snowtrooper
06-22-2013, 03:18 PM
I was looking at this earlier today. I have to agree with you that it shows why we may never see this made. Hasbro will never release a vehicle this size. If they would shorten it up to fall in line with the BMF and BATAT, it would look either puny, or odd shaped and we collectors would be howling about how they screwed it up. I think they could add a bunch of cool features for kids, but ultimately its collectors who are clamoring for this and we'd end up being disappointed. Unless Hasbro would start doing a premium vehicle line, it just doesn't seem like this is going to see the light of day.:frown:

JediTricks
06-22-2013, 05:20 PM
What a dummy. That dude included IG-88 when he wasn't in that scene. lolHelpful as ever! Not going to point out Amanaman was never on the deck, too?

I was looking at this earlier today. I have to agree with you that it shows why we may never see this made. Hasbro will never release a vehicle this size. If they would shorten it up to fall in line with the BMF and BATAT, it would look either puny, or odd shaped and we collectors would be howling about how they screwed it up. I think they could add a bunch of cool features for kids, but ultimately its collectors who are clamoring for this and we'd end up being disappointed. Unless Hasbro would start doing a premium vehicle line, it just doesn't seem like this is going to see the light of day.:frown:That may not be a bad thing though, now that we see tangible evidence suggesting what they've been saying, perhaps we can use those energies to focus on something else. Plus, seeing someone did it right is inspiring, I think.

Maradona
06-22-2013, 08:44 PM
It certainly is nice to look at and seems to be about the right size, but I doubt this vehicle is something that will ever be produced for the public. The preponderance of 5 POA figures, however, seems firmly in Hasbro's future.

JimJamBonds
06-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Pretty sweet looking! but $4,250!?!?! :barbershop_quartet_

JediTricks
07-27-2013, 11:42 PM
Turns out there is a Jabba hidden waaaaay inside, on one of the pics not included. Barely fits.