PDA

View Full Version : For DESPERATE fans the VCDs aren't bad

mark2d2
03-11-2002, 07:01 PM
I'm pretty sure these are legitimate and not bootlegs. The packaging is identical to the last VHS release and there's a wierd disclaimer at the front saying that they are NOT to sold outside of Malaysia and Singapore. Anyway, the sound quality is great. And the picture is as good as a VCD can be. The only real bummer is that they are Pan and Scan. Oh, and each film is split in half on two discs. But who cares! Once again I can watch Star Wars!!!

As I said, for DESPERATE fans they are better than nothing. My VCR is dead and with no plans to buy a new one, I was getting a tad bit cranky about not seeing the OT in . . . oh . . . eight very long months. Okay, a few weeks ago I dog-sat for the sole purpose of the fact that my friend had a VCR and I knew I could stage a marathon OT weekend.

I picked these up from a guy off ebay for $24.99 for the set. Plus five dollars shipping. The purchase went down just last Friday and they arrived today. Amazing turnaround time. I was very impressed.

Man, oh man it's fun to be back on the Death Star . . . .

2-1B
03-14-2002, 04:42 AM
mark2D2, I admire your resolve to not purchase another VCR. I wish I was independent from them as well, but there's a few shows I need to record, so I'm not able to go without one yet.

But I never watch movies on VHS :D Well, except for the OT I guess . . . :cry:

Tarkin the otter
03-14-2002, 05:17 PM
Has anyone picked up the bootleg trilogy dvds on e-bay? I'm in a jam because my vcr works fine but my Star Wars tapes are now more or less unwatchable. I could replace them on vhs, but am tempted to go digital, even if they are crap quality. At any rate they have to be better than the fuzzy blurred images I'm used to.
Besides I can't wait till 2005 or whenever.

mark2d2
03-14-2002, 07:15 PM
I thought about doing that. And there is this one guy on Ebay who has really good feedback. I'm not sure what the quality is like though. And then I got the VCDs really cheap off ebay.

jw_bryant
03-14-2002, 09:13 PM
yeah, all you need is some way of video input (ATI AIW card, or just a tuner card) and Nero. it realy isnt that hard, but i believe its illegal. :)

JEDIpartner
03-25-2002, 11:39 PM
I bought them off of a site in Malaysia. I paid $25 USD for the set and they got here in about a week. I really enjoy them and the sound is great. My only problem is that when there is a lot of motion on the screen... the image gets all pixelated. Little odd blocks start popping up wherever the rapid motion is happening.

JetsAndHeels
03-26-2002, 10:35 AM
And these VCD's are compatible with most DVD players?
I own a GE DVD player, so I guess that would be compatible since GE is a major brand.

JEDIpartner
03-26-2002, 03:01 PM
I specifically sought out a SONY player that would accomodate the format. I also have an APEX DVD player that is region-free and code-free so I can play NTSC (what we have in North America) and PAL (Europe, Australia) DVDs. It converts the signal to NTSC and also doesn't have the region blocking device that prevents one from playing an NTSC DVD from, say, Japan, which is Region 2. The Apex can also play in VCD mode.

mark2d2
03-27-2002, 02:06 AM
I don't know, Jango.

You better check your manual. Mine's Sony also and it says right on the front of it that it plays Cds, DVDs, and VCDs.

I'd make sure it's compatible before I order these . . .