PDA

View Full Version : Gentle Giant Helmet Scaled Replicas

sith_killer_99
07-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Okay, I need some help on this one.

Back in 2004 or so, Gentle Giant announced a series called the "Armory Vault". The concept was to do a line of 1/6th scale, highly detailed, helmets. They had a mock-up poster of:

Darth Vader
Boba Fett
Skiff Guard
Scout Trooper
Luke X-Wing Helmet
Snowtrooper
AT-AT Commander
Death Star Gunner
Clone Trooper
Boushh
Death Star Trooper
Jango Fett
AT-AT Trooper
Wedge X-Wing Helmet
Royal Guard
TIE Pilot

Then, NOTHING.

Gentle Giant did make "Scaled Replicas" of a few helmets. These appear to be .45 scale. I have seen images of:

Boba Fett
Jango Fett
Darth Vader (Chrome)

The image I found on another site showed the COA for the Jango Fett helmet as XXXX of 1,000, but that was not filled out and could have been a mock-up.

A local comic shop has a Boba Fett helmet and Luke X-Wing.

I have searched ebay, amazon, GG.com, and a ton of other places (adverts for SSG like Brians, EE, BBTS, AFX, etc) with little to no luck on the line. So my questions are...

Which helmets did Gentle Giant make?
What was the edition size?
When were they released?
What was the MSRP?
Were there exclusives (there always are with GG)?

HELP!

BTW, I am heading over to pick up the Boba Fett today, I REALLY want the Luke X-Wing, but they posted it as "no box" so I haven't made up my mind yet. :-p

JediTricks
07-06-2013, 03:09 PM
The .45-scale helmets start from the Riddell Mini-Helmets line, and they're pretty good work, I have all those originals. Master Replicas ended up getting those molds and did another run, plus a new ROTS Clone helmet. Gentle Giant then got the molds when MR lost the SW license, they didn't do any new molds that I know of, although they did take the dent out of the Boba to make the Jango. Here's a pretty good resource with details, but don't get confused by the customs on the second half:
http://www.starwarshelmets.com/riddell.htm

All the images I've seen of the GG .45 Jango have ______ of 1000, as if they decided not to bother writing in the specific edition number.

Ok, so that's the .45 line.

As for GG's Armory Vault line of 1/6th helmets, those were a Japanese import from Tomy's line from a decade ago and you can get them for around $20 on ebay under the Tomy name. GG did actually import them briefly, I believe. I don't like the ones I've seen, they aren't really up to snuff for my tastes, they're ok for their time but when you see the Stormtrooper and 3PO you easily see sculpting and deco flaws. Also, they're not perfectly 1/6th, they're a little small for the scale. Here's a look at the 2 collections: http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72020

sith_killer_99
07-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Knowledgeable as ever JT. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I agree, the Tomy helmets are not up to snuff. I've seen them but I wasn't aware the GG was connected to them.

The local shop is asking $125 for the Boba Fett, I will have to do a little more research on prices (Riddell and Master Replicas) before I take the plunge. I am pretty sure I will take up this line, since there are only half a dozen I am really interested in (Vader, Fett, Stormtrooper, Luke X-Wing, C-3PO, and possibly Wedge X-Wing) and most are around $60 each. Thanks for the info!

sergiurusu
07-07-2013, 02:49 AM
The Tomy mini-helmets are not really 1:6, they are more 1:7, and not too accurate alas. The best I have is the AT-AT driver which in a way is more accurate than the GG minibust, by having all the details present (GG AT-AT driver lacks some details). The Tomy Stormtrooper and Vader are not that good alas, Vader looks better if displayed as reveal though.

The Riddell and MR scaled helmets were a great line. I collect 1:1 helmets but I would have liked to have those too. They even had a proto TIE Fighter Pilot but it never saw the light of day. I own Riddell Vader, MR Stormtrooper and MR Blackhole Stormtrooper mini-helmets and they are great. Not 100% accurate but the cool setup and tech interiors make for it anyway.

JediTricks
07-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Sure thing SK.

As for $125 for Boba, is that the Riddell original or the MR version, and boxed or loose? The MR has more weathering paint, too much IMO but some folks seem to like it. I'm seeing prices more like $30-$60 loose for Boba, but a completed boxed version went for $161 about a month ago. Pricing is all over the map really, so research and patience are your best friends in this.

Riddell's 3PO is very nice, it has a light-up eye with motion sensor so make sure the one you get hasn't had a battery issue. I'm seeing a boxed one for $30 closed 2 months ago. DANG that is a good price.

Serg, I saw that Tomy Stormtrooper in a thumbnail and immediately saw its flaws, even a tiny image shows how off that piece is, so you are not kidding about "not that good". I know these were blind-pack, but come on, they'd have to be blind not to notice some of those mistakes.

You're right, the interiors really make the .45 helmets something special. I gather the MR Clone Trooper .45 helmet has an interior as well, I may have to track that down.

sergiurusu
07-08-2013, 07:36 AM
The scaled MR/Riddell Stormie and Clone helmets have the same type of interiors, very cool. Wish this line was picked up by some serious company and make the missing helmets: TIE Fighter Pilot, AT-AT Driver, Imperial Gunner, Sandtrooper (some weathering and the different trapezoids etc.), Royal Guard, DS Trooper, Scout, Snowtroper and Snow Commander, Rebel Guards helmets and then the many clones, pilots and clone commanders that can be made.

It seems there is a guy on ebay making custom scaled helmets like Riddell and MR, but still not that good, and price is a bit too high.

The Tomy mini-helmets are nice but they are hit and miss regarding accuracy, as I said Vader and Stormie are quite bad (opened/reveal Vader looks cool though and this saves it), but the AT-AT driver is very good.