PDA

View Full Version : LOTR figures

CrunchyNug
03-12-2002, 12:25 AM
It just occured to me that we don't have anything for Lord of the Rings in here. So how about a new thread all about toys from Middle Earth?

I was in a hobby shop in Los Angeles and came across some new LOTR figures that I hadn't seen before. There are a couple of new two-packs -

Gimli the Dwarf vs. an Uruk-Hai (both with plenty of weapons)
Frodo & Samwise (with row boat)

On the back of the packages were pictures of an upcoming wave that will include -

Traveling Bilbo (with backdrop)
Elrond (in battle stance)
Strider (with drawn bow)
Orc (with weapons)

There may have been more, but that's the best my memory can do for now. I'm excited about this next wave!!!

Jayspawn
03-12-2002, 10:53 AM
I've heard of these 2-packs and figures coming out. I'm glad you saw them. How did they look? I really want the Elrond figure, so he can fight my Matrix Agent Smith figure.

"Mr. Baggins..."

JetsAndHeels
03-12-2002, 02:09 PM
The LOTR figures are sweet. That new line you are referring to was in the last issue of ToyFare. They were already on the top 10 hot list and they havent even hit the shelves yet.
They look very good.
So far the only LOTR figures I have are Saruman and Strider.
Looking for a Legolas. He is awesome with that bow!!

Wolfwood319
03-12-2002, 02:19 PM
Word on the grapevine is that "Assortment 3" will be altered since its preview at Toy Fair. Toybiz wanted to make that assortment "stronger," so they'll probably be adding some figures from Assortment 4.

Assortment 4 was set to include:

Galadriel
Haldir
Twilight Ringwraith
Orc Brute

So I don't know if both assortments are being combined into 1 or what, but look for them soon.

For LOTR action figure news, head on over to Lordoftheringsguide.com, its another action on-line site that just opened. You can find pictures from the up coming figures there too.

CrunchyNug
03-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the tip on the new site. There's all the info I've been looking for. I missed the pictures in Toyfair and was surprised to see new LOTR stuff. Sounds like a great couple of waves we can expect soon. Balrog toy!!! Bring it on Toy-Biz. :D

CrunchyNug
04-04-2002, 01:27 AM
I scored the new Elrond at a Burbank TRU. He's quite impressive. On the back was the rest of the wave including -

Traveling Bilbo
Aragorn
Orc Warrior

The new wave is out!!! :D

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the 411! Have you gotten the 2-packs yet? I haven't seen anything new yet, but I expect to find new stuff soon.

CrunchyNug
04-04-2002, 01:44 AM
I spotted the new two-packs a few weeks ago at a hobby shop in Santa Monica, but passed because of the inflated prices. After reading about the sightings over at LordoftheRingsGuide.com, I've been hitting the TRU's pretty hard out here. By the time I got there yesterday, which was around noon, Elrond was the only NEW figure left. No sign of the two-packs either?!

CrunchyNug
04-05-2002, 04:54 PM
Santa Monica TRU had several of the new two-packs this morning. I quickly snatched up an Uruk-Hai vs. Gimli. These guys are just amazing when taken out of the packaging. Gimli has his double bladed battle axe, and three more for throwing!!! He also comes complete with removable cape and helmet.

At $12.99, I only got one. I think I'll pass on the little rowboat for now. :D

SirSteve
04-05-2002, 05:51 PM
You could also visit or LOTR affiliate site, www.lordoftheringsguide.com

Jayspawn
04-07-2002, 07:11 PM
The new 2-Packs have hit my TRU. But not the individual figures. I want my Agent Elrond figure!

mrhat
04-07-2002, 08:09 PM
So with assortment 4, we will get our 3rd ringwraith, are we leading up to all of the 9 mortal kings doomed to die? so we will have, WitchKing, Twilight, and Normal with the horse, so what are the others named?

Wolfwood319
04-07-2002, 10:25 PM
The Twilight Witchking is just another version of the Witchking. Its a figure of the version of the Ringwraith that Frodo sees when he puts on the Ring.

mrhat
04-08-2002, 09:52 AM
cool! The figure assortments keep getting better and better!

Wolfwood319
04-16-2002, 03:26 PM
Alright kids, listen up!

2-packs Series 2 are out, as well as Assortment 3 of the regular figures. Go get them now! They are leaps and bounds (for the most part) better than the older stuff.

2-Packs are Gimli/Uruk-Hai, and Frodo/Sam with Boat.
Basic Figs are: Aarogorn, Elrond, Bilbo, and Orc Warrior.

Mini Review Aarogorn:

Well, what can I say about this figure, other than "Outstanding!" He comes with Sword, Bow, Arrows, Bed roll, quiver, pack, and arrows. When he's wearing all of it, he looks like he does in the movie.

Articulation; Ball jointed Head, ball jointed shoulders, upper bicep, elbows, wrists, waist, hips, knees, ankles. Perfect

Scultp; Overall good. The one complaint is that the face doesn't look like Mortenssen as much as the Strider figure did, but it looks more like a real person. The rest of the body is perfect. Looks exactly like him.

Playability; This figure has a "bow firing" gimmick similar to the Lurtz that came with Boromir. He can shoot an arrow a good 7-8 ft when I tried it. Perfect. He can also be in other poses as well, like holding his sowrd.

Overall; I like this figure 100 fold over the strider figure. There is a lot more to do with this one than the Strider figure, IMO. He looks more like how the character looks through the majority of the film, comes with better accessories, and is just cooler.

Final Score: A-

Also from the new figures I reccomend Gimli/Uruk-Hai 2-pack, Elrond, and Bilbo. Also incredible figures (with the Gimli coming in a close second as my favorite figure behind the new Aarogorn.)

CrunchyNug
04-20-2002, 04:41 PM
So I found them!!! I've been looking so hard for these guys lately and I finally stumbled upon them in a Los Angeles TRU last night. I got one Aragorn and two Orcs. I haven't even had the time to open them yet, but am very excited to do so soon.

I'm all caught up with my LOTR collection for now, and am planning on hitting the Star Wars Midnight Madness sale. Now I just need to find room for all these new toys!!! :D

Jaina Solo
05-04-2002, 04:11 AM
You guys are kidding, right? The new LOTR figs are hidious. Elrond is snarling, which seems way out of character. And Aragorn... Like the accessories, like the outfit. Face scupt sucks, though.

Jayspawn
05-04-2002, 10:49 AM
They arn't as good as I thought they were going to be. I saw Bilbo Baggins the other day at Media Play. He's a very cool figure too. Probably the best in that series. His package is heavy!!!

DarthMaulSithLord
05-06-2002, 05:09 PM
I got 2 Orc Warriors and an Elrond. They are all superb. I left Aragorn on the shelves. He isn't as bad as the pics we saw online, but he still had a lumpy face. Hope they re-release him with the prototype head that can be seen on Americandreamcomics.com.

:)

Old Fossil
05-14-2002, 08:17 AM
I got the Gimli/Uruk and Frodo/Sam 2-packs a couple of weeks ago. They are truly superb! I passed on Elrond and the new Aragorn. The latter is hideous. Also got the new Orc Warrior. Can't have too many Orcs!

The detail on these figures is amazing. That, with their action features and accessories, has forced me to take a shelf from my Star Wars collection and create a Middle-earth display.

pthfnder89
05-15-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Twodot Tatooine
I got the Gimli/Uruk and Frodo/Sam 2-packs a couple of weeks ago. They are truly superb! I passed on Elrond and the new Aragorn. The latter is hideous. Also got the new Orc Warrior. Can't have too many Orcs!

The detail on these figures is amazing. That, with their action features and accessories, has forced me to take a shelf from my Star Wars collection and create a Middle-earth display.

Yeah, the new Aragorn baffles me. I saw a nice big pic of him in Action Figure Digest a few months ago and it looks GREAT. MUCH more like Viggo Mortensen than the first crappy Strider figure. Then I finally see the new one at TRU and I couldn't believe it. Since when is Aragorn balding? Ugh... I'm going to have to get him anyway, because the rest of the figure is great, and I need a new Aragorn. The first one just sucks.:rolleyes:

It's funny; when LOTR came out, I bought all of the nine Fellowship figures except Frodo, Sam, and Gimlie. I didn't know why, but everytime I saw one in the store, I would pick it up, then put it down and tell myself I would buy it later. Then I found out that all three of them had new figures coming so I waited to get them instead. I'm soooo glad I did; the new Frodo and Sam are AWESOME, and I'm getting Gimli and the Uruk Hai today, but Gimli also looks even better than the first one :)

Croaker
05-30-2002, 01:56 PM
The new Bilbo is out?
I knew it had been delayed and not shipped with the original assorment.

I've got the other new ones.

And I had a list ot TTT figures. Let me see if i've still got it somewhere...

bigbarada
08-15-2002, 04:14 PM
I never saw these later waves until the recent re-release to coincide with the DVD. Aside from yet another shipment of Wave 1 (:mad: ), we did get the new 2-packs, Cave Troll, and Wave 2 of the 12".

Gimli being my favorite character from all of LOTR (not just the movies), I picked up his 2-pack and 12" scale figure. I was disappointed with the earlier version of him, mainly due to his face sculpt. However, the 2-pack version is incredible! The face looks right, the ruddy skin-color is great, removable helmet, 4 axes and spatterings of orc blood all over him. In other words, the perfect dwarf figure! His throwing axe feature works great (except for the occasional tendency for him to toss the ax behind him) and I've gotten him to toss the ax a good 6-7 feet! Now that's an action feature!:) Overall grade A+!

I also picked up the 12" scale Gimli. This wave is nowhere near the hideous abominations we got in wave 1. For one, the hair is scultped on, not rooted for the male characters and the likeness for Gimli is excellent (I think it is the same head that is used on the small figure, just a larger size. The sculpt seems almost identical right down to his mole - which looks a little like a giant white-head zit on the 12" version:D ). My only complaints for this figure is his single axe, which is made from the bendy plastic we get with Saga figures; his shoulder guards being made of cloth not hardplastic to simulate metal; and his giant zit. His body is awesome and I think the body for Toy Biz's Marvel Famous Covers 8" figures is used for Gimli. This makes him very poseable. Overall I would give this figure an A. Excellent work!

BlahBlahBlah
08-17-2002, 12:49 PM
So these things are actually good?

I had been meaning to pick them up, but I wanted to know what you guys thought of them first. They look mighty gimicked; are they just one pose wonders, or can they be posed differently than most pictures show?

The reason I ask is because I really want a Gandalf figure, but the first has both arms out to the side. Can those be moved, or are they stuck there?

bigbarada
08-17-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Jaina Solo
You guys are kidding, right? The new LOTR figs are hidious. Elrond is snarling, which seems way out of character. And Aragorn... Like the accessories, like the outfit. Face scupt sucks, though.

I you would pay attention, you would see that Elrond is wearing the outfit he wore in the Prologue battle. He had a couple of angry looking faces in that scene. They haven't made a Rinvendell version of Elrond yet, so just hold your horses and be patient.

BlahBlahBlah, most of the figures are very well articulated and a lot of the action features don't interfere with their playability. Many of the action features work really well too. It is clear that ToyBiz intended for these things to be played with.

While some figures are one pose wonders others can be placed in a couple of cool poses, but are still limited by their plastic cloaks and somewhat pre-posed nature.

It's really strange that the exact same features that make me want to quit collecting Star Wars, make me want to collect the LOTR toys. Maybe it's because I have wanted a well made fantasy toy line for so long that I can overlook the flaws.

BlahBlahBlah
08-18-2002, 08:42 AM
Thanks Bigb.:)

I might go out to Wal Mart today, so I'll see what I can find... probably not much...

Oh yeah, speaking of that, do you guys know any place that sells them online, preferably close to their store price, and accepts money orders? Cuz I have no credit card...

bigbarada
08-18-2002, 02:21 PM
Just do what I did, I wasn't too impressed with them at first so I just picked up a couple figs of characters I liked and judged them from that. Even now, I only have a handful (5 figures, the Cave Troll, 12" Gimli) but I enjoy these few toys much more than all my Star Wars stuff put together. Right now the T2T figures are looking to be about 10 times cooler.

I'm not too sure about online stores that sell these without credit cards but I would be interested in finding out if anyone else knows anything, I don't have a credit card anymore either.

Here's the upcoming Roharian Soldier figure, due out in Sep/Oct. He looks great.

BlahBlahBlah
08-18-2002, 04:46 PM
Gah, where'd you find a pic that big? The only pictures I've found have been tiny...

Well, I went to Wal Mart, and found Strider and Bilbo. They had Elrond as well, but I passed. Those were the only three. There's another Wal Mart near me, so I might go there tomorrow evening after school.

The Two Towers figures better be out soon... I was going to get Legolas, but I think I'll wait for the TT version, since it looks infinately better. I'm going to pass on the FOTR Aragorn, and wait on the TT version. I still want to find the FOTR version of Galdalf, tho.

Besides FOTR Aragorn and Legolas, I'm going to be on the lookout for the others, particularly the two packs.

mrhat
08-18-2002, 05:38 PM
Well Blah... youll be waiting for a while for TTT figs cuz 4th wave is comin suposedly with Galandriel, Twilight Ringwraith um some others But i was just checking www.action-figure.com and they have a crapload of TTT toy pics if you want. Only one more month Blah, one more month. Dont you fret.

BlahBlahBlah
08-18-2002, 08:05 PM
Sweet, thank you mrhat! :) :) :)

mrhat
08-18-2002, 10:27 PM
no problem

pthfnder89
08-19-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Just do what I did, I wasn't too impressed with them at first so I just picked up a couple figs of characters I liked and judged them from that. Even now, I only have a handful (5 figures, the Cave Troll, 12" Gimli) but I enjoy these few toys much more than all my Star Wars stuff put together. Right now the T2T figures are looking to be about 10 times cooler.

So, so true BigBarrada. I absolutely love what Toy Biz has done with these figs, and it took a lot to convince me at first. I was furious with them for making such horrible X-men:The Movie figures and I didn't think I'd ever forgive them But they've really been shining with LOTR.

BlahBlahBlah - BigBarrada has the idea with only collecting the ones you want. That's what I wound up doing with the FOTR figs and so far there isn't a single one that I wish I hadn't bought. Although I have to admit, I wound up buying most of them; I just stayed away from ones I didn't care for and the ones that looked like they had bad gimmicks or were too unposable; ie: Newborn Lurtz, Orc overseer, Ringwraith.

It's funny, for some reason, I convinced myself not to buy Sam, Frodo, or Gimli for a long time, even though I really wanted to complete the Fellowship. Then the series 2 Two-Packs come out and those versions of them are MUCH better than the standard carded versions. Made me happy:D

After seeing The Two Towers figures I'm a little scared; there isn't a single figure in that whole line that I don't want to buy. Man I'm gonna be poor...:(;)

BlahBlahBlah
08-19-2002, 07:38 PM
Funny you should mention Newborn Lurtz and the Orc overseer; those are ones that I had decided not to buy. But the Ringwraith looks pretty good, so if I do manage to find him, I'm going to pick him up.

The nine-pack that's coming out is tempting, but if I can find the Borormir, Gimi, Merry & Pippin, and Sam & Frodo two packs, I'll just wait on Galdalf and Legolas to complete the fellowship.

I am LOVING Strider and Bilbo. Strider has an amazing sculpt, and while the gimicked right arm is sort of troublesome, it's worth the hassle. Bilbo's got some great accessories, but it's too bad most of them don't work too well. The cover to the book almost came off while I was taking it out of the packacke; the walking stick is too short to be used without putting him in a really awkward pose; and he has nowhere to put Sting. Still, the base is great.

mrhat
08-19-2002, 08:50 PM
yeah it looks cool, but im kinda wondering about toybiz, the two towers packaging isnt right at all, PURPLE? what the... shame

BlahBlahBlah
08-20-2002, 07:51 AM
It looks like more of a dark red to me, which is really fitting with the movie.

mrhat
08-20-2002, 01:59 PM
Looks Purple to me ill get a pic for you all to decide...

mrhat
08-20-2002, 02:13 PM
Okay here is an Eomer Packaged shot (mock up) but this is what Toy Biz is going to base the packags off of-- Purple or Red you decide!

CrunchyNug
08-20-2002, 06:45 PM
Wow, I haven't checked this thread in a while. You guys should sample the sister site -

www.LordoftheRingsGuide.com

I am on such a LOTR kick right now it's sick. So here's some goodies...

KB is having a 25% off LOTR sale!!! Now's the chance to get these figures you've been holding off on. It goes through the beginning of September.

Also, my Los Angeles Target's re-done toy section had more LOTR toys yesterday for $6.99 including Strider (not Aragorn)!!! There were three of them?! Cave Trolls, Elrond, Orc Warriors too.

One more thing. Toy Biz is running another mailaway offer, much like the one Burger King did a while back. Infact, it's the exact same Uruk-Hai figure w/ helmet. You can get the coupon in the new movie package, OR KB is giving away the coupons at store counters. You need three UPC's and original receipts. Limit ONE per houshold. Here's a picture -

http://www.lordoftheringsguide.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=4225

They're only making 5000 of these babies so get out there and grab your coupon!!! :crazed:

bigbarada
08-20-2002, 09:06 PM
mrhat, your attachment didn't take for some reason.

Here is the pic mrhat was referring to. Personally I think it is more of a violet.

(BTW, I am on a major LOTR high right now too, CrunchyNug.:cool: I will have to see about getting that Orc figure, looks great.:happy: )

pthfnder89
08-21-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
(BTW, I am on a major LOTR high right now too, CrunchyNug.:cool: I will have to see about getting that Orc figure, looks great.:happy: )

I'm very interested to hear that they're re-offering the Uruk Hai figure. I'm the only person I know who seems to have gotten one the first time around, thru Burger King.

I was semi-disappointed with it for a couple reasons.

A. it's the exact same body as Lurtz, with a different head.
This didn't bother me too much because Lurtz (from the Boromir 2pack) is my favorite LOTR figure so far. :) But since he doesn't come with a bow like Lurtz did, the gimmick just doesn't work.

B. The mailaway Orc does NOT come with an Uruk Hai sword. This actually DID tick me off because the mail away coupon from Burger King pictured him with one. :frus:

On the other hand, his helmet looks GREAT and it's the only way to get one since they for some reason didn't include a helmet with the Gimli vs. Uruk Hai 2pack.

But the two things aren't that big of a deal because, hey, he's basically free. So if you still have the reciepts and proofs of purchase from your figures than he's definitely worth getting. But he's not worth buying new figures just to get one.

bigbarada
08-28-2002, 11:50 PM
Check this out, the Balrog prototype. ToyBiz is hesitant to release this monster though since it might be "too scary" to sell well.:rolleyes: They've obviously never been to the McFarlane section of the toy aisle.

This thing is huge:

mrhat
08-28-2002, 11:54 PM
its meant to be SCARY! duh Toy Biz its scary its evil etc... yeah i think toy bizs mom wont let them go to the McFarline asile. The cave troll is scary too, they didnt hesititate with him...

BlahBlahBlah
08-29-2002, 05:59 AM
I don't know, I'm not as afraid of a fifteen foot tall troll with no neck as I am of a fifty foot tall demon engulfed in flames and carrying a sword and a whip.

But that's just me.

mrhat
08-29-2002, 07:58 AM
yeah thats kinda true, but the balrog is just so much better looking... dont dissapoint me Toy Biz!

The True Maul
08-29-2002, 05:04 PM
Wow that Balrog looks awesome I hope Toy biz releases it soon!!:)

bigbarada
08-29-2002, 10:28 PM
I think slow sales of the Cave Troll could also be the reason. However, when the Troll's face is falling apart in the store how do you expect people to shovel out money for it? I bought one at TRU and after a couple of weeks his face dried up and is cracking apart.:(

As long as TB doesn't use the squishy rubber for "real feel" skin, then it should be fine.

Anyways, I really hope this thing gets released, even if it has to be an exclusive. As long as it is made.

CrunchyNug
09-24-2002, 06:24 PM
Anyone send in proofs of purchases for the new FREE figure? I recently got mine in the mail and he rocks!!! It's the same one as the Burger King offer awhile ago. The helmet really sells the figure!!!

:D

Jayspawn
09-24-2002, 08:19 PM
I have the offer for the figure. I still need to send away for it. He looks very cool!

CrunchyNug
09-24-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
I have the offer for the figure. I still need to send away for it. He looks very cool!

I'd jump on that if I were you. If you've got the receipts & UPC's, go ahead and send it on in. I believe the figure production is limited to only 5000 pieces and the offer has been going on since the release of the DVD, several weeks ago. I'm very happy with mine!!! Get 'em while they last...

jjreason
09-25-2002, 11:24 AM
I just saw an assortment of LOTR TT figures at Zellers up here in Canada. Legolas, Faramir, Easterling, and a generic Ranger. So cool, it was all I could do to NOT drop the 50 bucks. These figures are approaching MacFarlane levels of paint and sculpt detail. Very, very nice.

Jayspawn
09-29-2002, 11:01 PM
There's no LOTR figures in any of my stores. AHH!

(BTW, Does anybody happen to have an extra Saruman or Gandalf?)

Jayspawn
10-02-2002, 12:44 PM
Where is the 4th Fellowship of the Ring series? It's supposed to have Gandriel in it. I was really looking forward to this series. I hope it comes out before the TT figures do.

Jayspawn
10-04-2002, 03:02 PM
Wohoo! I picked up Legolas from The Two Towers! Media Play had the 1st series in stock! And what detail it has! It's worlds better than the 1st figure in my oppinion. It's posable, playable and reaches McFarlane detail. Alll the figures are very impressive.
I can't wait till Saruman comes out!!!!

"I have got to get my one of those."

Old Fossil
10-06-2002, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I need the new Saruman figure, with white robes, instead of the old one (Saruman the Taupe).

Bigbarada, perhaps your Cave Troll just needs some moisturizer, followed by a carefully structured regimen of kiwi-fruit facial peels.

Prince Xizor
10-06-2002, 04:07 PM
OMG, that Legolas is AMAZING. I freaked when I saw it next to the SW toys at KB Toy Works. If you see it yourself, get it. You will not be disapointed. Not at all.

jjreason
10-06-2002, 05:45 PM
His face is exactly, no EXACTLY like the actor's it is remarkable. Im now wishing I bought these, with any luck they'll be back up here. They disappeared very quickly for Prince Rupert, where I kind of thought I was the only one who liked toys. They literally flew off the shelves, along with the Spider-Man Classics assortment we got (likely by accident).