PDA

View Full Version : The 80's Alive in Toys?

icatch9
03-12-2002, 11:52 AM
While in at Wal-Mart last night I noticed something. I noticed that the 80ís are still alive. Now, Iím not one of those guys stuck in the past. I just noticed that all of our favorite toys from the 80ís live on today. Think about it. Right now at Wal-Mart I can buy Star Wars, GI Joe (A Real American Hero), Transformers, He-Man, McFarlane Sports Picks (Starting Lineups Reincarnated), Hot Wheels, and Matchbox. I mean that is all the things that I really loved to play with when I was a kid. I know some things arenít around anymore. Like MASK, Thunder Cats, and Ghost Busters, but hey what we have now isnít that bad.

Starfig873
03-12-2002, 11:56 AM
McFarlane better get their groove on with the Ghostbusters...sure they will be immovable hunks of plastic, but they'd look pretty sweet :p

As for 80s toys, your right, and what's wrong with living in the past? :rolleyes:

So yeah, I forsee all the old cool stuff coming back moreso. Yay! :)

icatch9
03-12-2002, 12:21 PM
I didnít mean to imply that living in the past was bad. I just wanted to let readers know that Iím an everyday Joe who noticed this thatís all.

Yea, the Mcís are sweet looking, but not a whole lot of play value. But, sacrifices have to be made.

I would defiantly buy a Peter Vencman (I donít know how to spell his last name).

Lobito
03-12-2002, 02:08 PM
The Thundercats will return also, other line that is in sale in specific stores are the Smurfs, but not in walmart though...yep, the 80's is very much alive.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-12-2002, 02:52 PM
Hmm... toy companies want to sell toys and make money. What toys made them money in the past? GI Joe? Transformers? Barbie? Star Wars? He-Man? Tonka? Hot Wheels? Matchbox? Cabbage Patch Kids? Voltron? So, let's not be creative, let's just re-hash old products and call them "Anniversary Editions" or "Special Collector Models." Yeah... :greedy:

Sad... :(

I have had good self-control in not buying these "nostalgic" toys.

LTBasker
03-12-2002, 03:43 PM
Hasbro is even going as far with Star Wars to make the new packaging resemble the vintage style. You can definitely see it in the reg. figure cards and the beast assortment box.

THE Slayer
03-12-2002, 04:18 PM
THundercats are coming back? When? Where?

Huckleberry Josh
03-12-2002, 04:56 PM
I haven't seen any He-Man toys around in any stores. I do wish Ghostbusters toys were still around. One of my favorite action figures is the Ghostbusters Frankenstein ghost. That's a sweet figure.

Starfig873
03-12-2002, 07:46 PM
Hee hee! I remember that one! Pull his legs together and his arms raise and his jaw opens nice and wide. :p

By far the best Ghostbusters toy was Grannie Gross! :D

SithDroid
03-12-2002, 11:36 PM
I agree the 80's toys are still alive, but in a different way. The toy lines have changed. Some for the better, some for the worse. The G.I.Joe line is ok, but the newer figures are beginning to look nothing like the old ones. Transformers? What's the deal with this line. The Beast Machines and Beast Wars sets and cartoons were stupid. Now at least they are putting out more of the classic vehicle stuff. The only thing that bothers me though is that some of the characters are now different things. Like Grimlock for example. He used to be a dinosaur and now he is a construction crane. How does this happen? That is the only reason I haven't picked up any of the new Transformers toys. The reissue of the He-Man figures was a great idea, except that they limited them to like only 10,000 figures a piece. Plus they were mega expensive for a He-Man toy. I would have liked to have seen them at a lower price and more readily available. Hopefully the new line of He-Man figures coming up will be really cool. Star Wars has been quite impressive. I like all the changes and the good detail. There is a noticeable difference between the newer figures and the vintage line. A great improvement IMO. Hopefully the new Thundercats line will be awesome also. I'd like to see Silverhawks get a re-release also.

stillakid
03-12-2002, 11:59 PM
No Micronauts, though. I remember them competing for my limited allowance dollar back in the day. What a silly kid I was.:rolleyes:

Dar' Argol
03-13-2002, 12:50 AM
I have seen the new figs of He-Man! They are nothing like the old figs, but again they are(its confusing). They are being produced by The Four Horsemen, former employees of McFarlane toys. They have been completely re-sculpted, kinda to bring them up to date. If I had the Skeletor that they sculped when I was a kid, I would have had nightmares for months. I have pics in a magazine, but I have to go over a buddies house to scan them. As soon as I do I will post them.

TeeEye7
03-13-2002, 07:20 AM
'80's toys? HAH!

Try the '60's...that's when they KNEW how to make toys....*grabs walker, adjusts Depends, and shuffles off mumbling......*;)

icatch9
03-13-2002, 04:52 PM
Your right sithdroid.

The new GI Joes are ugly. Either issue, the spanking new 2 packs or the 2 packs that came out last year (they were remakes of old ones, but it looks like they all have anemia). I used to love playing with GI Joes, but I wonít buy a new one because they are horrible. Same with the new Transformers. The beast wars and whatever else were very weak in my opinion. I hear you about Grimlock. What about Optimus Prime being a firer truck. I mean I am all for NYFD, but come on. One of the greatest looking toys ever should not change that dramatically. I have found the anniversary He Man figures pretty easily, but the price has deterred me too. I have He Man, but thatís it. The ďnewĒ re-sculpts are awesome looking though. I think they have that McFarlane detail, but with a little movability. Never the less I am glad to see these lines in a re-birth. Rehashing old idea is one thing, but I am glad kids today can be exposed to the same toys we had.

Dar' Argol
03-13-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by icatch9

What about Optimus Prime being a fire truck. I mean I am all for NYFD, but come on. One of the greatest looking toys ever should not change that dramatically.

Just to point out something, Optimus Prime was changed into a fire truck loooonnngggg b/4 the whole 9/11 NYFD thing you are referring to. If you remember the original series, when the Autobots came to earth and were reactivated, they scaned the local area for their forms. The same happended again. The Autobots came back to Earth b/c Megatron escaped Cybertron and headed here. When they laneded, humankind still did not know about the Transformers(largely). So once again they took vehical forms. When they scaned the area, a fire truck was there and that is what OP took. That also explains why Grimlock is differant too. Try catching the new series on Fox. Here's a link to the Foxkids Transformers web site. It doesn't go into indepth detail, but it gives you an idea:
New Transformers (http://www.foxkids.com/tvshows/transformers/)

If I find a better site I'll post:D

Wolfwood319
03-13-2002, 11:38 PM
I loved Beast Wars, the animation was cool, and the toys were some of the best at the time. Beast Machines was crap though. And most of the new Transformers toys are repaints of originals and beast wars toys.

The new GI Joes I don't think are very good. I wanted to pick up the Snake Eyes 2-pack, but when I saw it, I decided not to. They have somewhat better sculpts, but they still have the super articulation, which throws off the sculpts. They look too bulky, IMO.

The new He-Man toys look cool, and I picked up the "Collector's Editions," but I don't think I'll get the new figs.

I'd love some new Thundercats toys. Maybe even a re-release of the show, or a new show too. By far, my favorite cartoon when I was a kid.

I'd also love some re-released TMNT toys. Maybe a nice case with releases of the origianl 10 figures. Turtles was towards the end of the 80's but they were still awesome.

Dar' Argol
03-13-2002, 11:45 PM
I stand corrected:( . Someone please slap my keyboard. I found these posts at TheTransformers.net (http://www.thetransformers.net) :

Originally posted on TF.net by pokemark
these aren`t the originals
RID replaces completely the current G1-BW-BM timeline hence all characters are different (ie the combaticons all have different names) and RID takes place in the year 2000 but as we all know g1 ran from 1984 (series 1) to 2006 (series 3) so theres no way the 2 can co-exist.The only reason RID (or car robots should i say) made it over from Japan is that Hasbro US are restructuring and had no TF line ready for this year. it`s a filler show.the names are re-used from classic character to keep up the copyrights.

Originally posted on TF.net by NightAvenger
Also, RID is great, but in its OWN way.
It will NEVER match Generation One, but it has its
OWN place in MY heart. It gives me SOMETHING of value to watch.

The new Optimus is a younger Optimus. Heck, he really isn't even Optimus Prime. He's Super Fire Convoy. But he's wise just like Optimus, and sounds like him, yet voiced by Niel somebody, NOT Peter Cullen (who played G1 Optimus Prime, Ironhide and a host of others).

I think Megatron would get his tail beat by RID's version, personally. Of course, this is NOT Megatron, its GIGATRON. And according to last saturday's show, he's now GALVATRON...hehehehe... can't WAIT to see what happens next. I hope this show continues!

These are just some of the posts by Transformer fans. Actually the site kinda reminds me of SSG and any Transformers fan should check it out:)

SithDroid
03-14-2002, 12:27 AM
When does the new show air? I haven't seen it yet. I notice that it takes palce in an alternate timeline than the original series. Also can anyone explain to me the Beast Wars and Beast Machines series? When do they take place? After the Original Series, before? Also, how do they run into each other and the new series? I stopped watching after season three of the original series. I did see a couple episodes of Beast Machines(?) and didn't quite like all the CGI stuff. I might check out this new series though. Perhaps it will get me more interested in Transformers again. Oh, and by the way a new Transformers Comic series is scheduled for next month. The artwork is amazing and if you like Transformers, then you should really check it out.

Dar' Argol
03-14-2002, 12:36 AM
Beast Wars took place after G1, but it was kinda b/4 as well. Time travel thing happened in the future and the Beast Wars bots got sent back to the past. In one episode they find Telatron 1 with all the G1 bots inside(good ep!) As far as BM, they went back to the future for that one, it was a continuation form BW. And what time the show is on? Check your local Fox station, but here its on at 8am on Saturdays and use to be on 2:30pm during the week, but that changed:(

icatch9
03-19-2002, 03:51 PM
Hey Wolfwood,

You can still buy TMNT toys new at the store. They are re-paints or whatever of the original. You can only find them at KB and KB outlets, but if you look hard enough you should be able to get them. I've seen a bunch pretty good prices too, only $5.00.

dingodad
03-20-2002, 07:08 PM
I wish they would make a commemorative set of raiders of the lost ark figures since theyre doing so many other 80's figures. i saw that there is a compant redoing micronauts and tron also. why not indy?

Rollo Tomassi
03-20-2002, 07:49 PM
Plus theres a small toy company doing exact replicas of the original mini Transformers as keychains. They already put out Bumblebee and Cliffjumper. And they just sent me Brawn and Windcharger, but I haven't got them yet. The only thing different from the originals is a little plastic hook to put the keyring on. They even have the original TechSpecs on the packaging!

Brave Sir Robin
03-22-2002, 12:26 AM
i'm one of the younger members of this forum so i missed out on the eighties unfortunatley. but i still love that stuff. when are they gonna re-do the Thundercats line and make it as cool as He-Man?

Emperor Howdy
03-22-2002, 12:35 AM
Stretch Arm Strong!

Oh, like I'M the only one who actually broke him open to see all the goo.

........and that guy you could see inside of. You'd press a button on his back, and blood would pump through his veins....you could see his heart, lungs, stomach, brains.....who was that guy? I think you could look through his eye too via a hole in the back of his head.......or was that the Steve Austin figure?......hmmmm....

Those would be some good remakes!

Lobito
03-25-2002, 08:46 PM
and that guy you could see inside of. You'd press a button on his back, and blood would pump through his veins....you could see his heart, lungs, stomach, brains.....who was that guy? I think you could look through his eye too via a hole in the back of his head.......or was that the Steve Austin figure?......hmmmm....

Nope, those are two different figures. The one on which u could look via the hole in his head is Steve Austin. The other guy was Pulsar. :)