PDA

View Full Version : 3 3/4" Black Series Wave 2

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Carded images have surfaced (http://www.forum.starwars-figuren.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=526) of three wave 2 figures - Stormtrooper, 41st Elite Corps Clone Trooper, and R2-D2.

It looks like the stormtrooper is the TVC sandtrooper without any gear, meaning his helmet is non-removable. This figure was previously sold in a Target Special Action Figure set (unless it has unforeseen modifications, perhaps like filling in the backpack hole). When the stormtrooper appeared on rumor lists, I expected it was the sandtrooper instead, so this is a welcome figure.

The clone trooper is the gray-striped version seen on Coruscant, not the Kashyyyk armor version. It uses the newest clone body. The helmet looks a little different but I don't think it has been updated, unfortunately.

R2-D2 is another figure from the cancelled Legacy Collection, and appears to be a clean redeco of the TAC booster rockets figure. Maybe not the most exciting choice, but it's a version I've wanted for a long time, so it will be good to finally have a normal booster rocket R2-D2 that isn't awful.

If early lists are any indication, then Pablo-Jill, Luminara Unduli, and Mara Jade will round out the wave.

Battle Droid
07-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Why is the 41st elite missing the gray on the shoulder pads, belt, and lower legs?

sith_killer_99
07-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Because he's still in training?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Why is the 41st elite missing the gray on the shoulder pads, belt, and lower legs?
Wow, you're right, that's bad. I added a question for JT to ask at SDCC, but hopefully a lot of people will bug Hasbro and get them to fix it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-17-2013, 04:10 PM
The page has been updated (http://forum.starwars-figuren.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=526) to show the remainder of the wave - Mara Jade, Pablo-Jill, and Luminara Unduli. Yoda's News (http://yodasnews.com/) has higher-quality carded and loose shots of each.

I'm glad that Luminara finally has her outer robe, which was left off of the ROTS figure and its Order 66 repaint. She looks like a pretty significant upgrade. I wonder if something was supposed to go in that space in her bubble?

Mara Jade looks nice, but with that giant hair it's more like Mara Fawcett. :p I find it funny that the image shows her with the goggles and hood when this figure doesn't have those accessories (which would have been easy repacks from the comic pack figure).

Pablo-Jill looks great - hopefully Hasbro still follows through with Coleman Kcaj.

Aside from the p***-poor 41st Elite clone, this wave is pretty solid overall.

Umbra
07-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Well wave 2 definitely peaks my interest more than wave 1. I definitly want at least 1 stormtrooper. I've not bought an updated one in a long time, the last single card release stormtrooper seemed to yellow terribly fast. Also I hate removable helmets in most cases, glad to know this sculpt doesn't feature it. I also want Mara, and the Luminara to go with the recent Barriss.

bigbarada
09-09-2013, 08:11 PM
JTA posted some images of the second 3.75" Black Series wave:
http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12370/#details

That Stormtrooper looks to be one of the worst things that Hasbro has produced in years. Also, what's the deal with Mara Jade's face and hair? She looks like a guy cosplaying as Mara Jade wearing a red Cher wig.

El Chuxter
09-10-2013, 09:00 AM
This entire line is underwhelming. There's not a single figure I want, especially for $10, until Wave 3. I hope the line lasts long enough for those to actually see release. :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2013, 07:59 PM
They didn't fix the 41st Elite Corps Clone. Hopefully it gets corrected as a running change - if not, well, we have three previous versions of this figure anyway. :dejection: (As an aside, howsabout a new Kashyyyk armor 41st Elite Corps figure that isn't puny?)

Mara's eyebrows are ridiculous, and the Stormtrooper is just the Dewback/TVC Sandtrooper without the gear - and the hole is still in the back. It has the fold-out blaster from the second TVC Sandtrooper, so that's something.

Pablo-Jill looks pretty awesome, though. He has rocker ankles and interesting ball-joint wrists. It'll be good to get him so long after he was first announced.

Luminara looks great as well. I was looking at the arena Jedi figures recently, and I'm very glad that she has her full cloak for the first time since the crazy 2002 statue.

R2-D2 looks a soft now compared to the 6" figure, but it's still a repaint I've wanted for years.

JediTricks
09-11-2013, 08:16 PM
JTA posted some images of the second 3.75" Black Series wave:
http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12370/#details

That Stormtrooper looks to be one of the worst things that Hasbro has produced in years. Also, what's the deal with Mara Jade's face and hair? She looks like a guy cosplaying as Mara Jade wearing a red Cher wig.Man, no kidding, that's awful awful AWFUL! I thought they were talking about an all-new helmet and parts on the Stormtrooper, I really hope that's not what they had in mind because you are so right, that's one of the worst things they've done since EVER. Granted, it's a weird camera angle thing going on but that's not all that's going on.

Mara's head sculpt is putrid, they went with a wig-like hairpiece design that sits too high for a big forehead, then sharp jawline angles and heavy eyebrow paint, it does have a very masculine look to it, it's tragic and doubly wasteful since this version of Mara didn't win the slot and now it's also an awful-looking figure.

This entire line is underwhelming. There's not a single figure I want, especially for $10, until Wave 3. I hope the line lasts long enough for those to actually see release. :(Totally agreed, and I really don't want to be a doomsayer but holy crap, this line feels like it's being flushed right down the toilet with every new reveal.

They didn't fix the 41st Elite Corps Clone. Hopefully it gets corrected as a running change - if not, well, we have three previous versions of this figure anyway. :dejection: (As an aside, howsabout a new Kashyyyk armor 41st Elite Corps figure that isn't puny?)

Mara's eyebrows are ridiculous, and the Stormtrooper is just the Dewback/TVC Sandtrooper without the gear - and the hole is still in the back. It has the fold-out blaster from the second TVC Sandtrooper, so that's something.

Pablo-Jill looks pretty awesome, though. He has rocker ankles and interesting ball-joint wrists. It'll be good to get him so long after he was first announced.

Luminara looks great as well. I was looking at the arena Jedi figures recently, and I'm very glad that she has her full cloak for the first time since the crazy 2002 statue.

R2-D2 looks a soft now compared to the 6" figure, but it's still a repaint I've wanted for years.Yeah, why am I not surprised we couldn't trust their word on the 41st clone? That's a big miss. I doubt it'll get a fix at this point.

Where are you seeing back pics of the Stormtrooper?

R2 looks like a huge step back from the drink tray one we got 3 years ago, the panel lines are cut way deeper here on both the body and dome, the only thing that's better is the main eye.

I don't care at all about the clone, Luminara (how many Luminaras do we need at this point???) or Pablo-Jill. I don't think I care about Ep 2 Anakin either but am not sure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Where are you seeing back pics of the Stormtrooper?
It's shown in this second collection of images from JTA (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12371/#details) (which was later followed up by a third set (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12373/#details).)

R2 looks like a huge step back from the drink tray one we got 3 years ago, the panel lines are cut way deeper here on both the body and dome, the only thing that's better is the main eye.
R2-D2 is a repaint of the TAC version (which had the flame effects that attached to the Super Battle Droid from the same wave), which itself was a retool of the 2005 R4-G9 mold. I'm not sure if I would have preferred this figure on the build-a-droid body, but I think this one works just fine.

I don't care at all about the clone, Luminara (how many Luminaras do we need at this point???) or Pablo-Jill. I don't think I care about Ep 2 Anakin either but am not sure.
Anakin is by far the best version of his AOTC appearance. The jawline is a little thick - the head is recycled from the Target exclusive Geonosis Arena Showdown set, but painted a little better. But it's very nice to not have those black soft-goods eyesores anymore, and the added articulation helps with posing the figure in more dynamic ways.

bigbarada
09-12-2013, 12:08 AM
Luminara (how many Luminaras do we need at this point???) or Pablo-Jill.

From the photos, Luminara and Pablo Jill look to be the best figures in the entire wave. It's just too bad I don't care about either character in the slightest.

It's shown in this second collection of images from JTA (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12371/#details) (which was later followed up by a third set (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12373/#details).)

Man, that Stormtrooper is just looking worse and worse. If it's not the horrible helmet sculpt or the giraffe neck, it's the crappy paint apps. In fact, the paint on that helmet is worse than anything I've seen in the 5-POA Saga Legends line.

JediTricks
09-12-2013, 02:33 PM
It's shown in this second collection of images from JTA (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12371/#details) (which was later followed up by a third set (http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12373/#details).)Ah, ok. Yuck, that figure needs to go.

R2-D2 is a repaint of the TAC version (which had the flame effects that attached to the Super Battle Droid from the same wave), which itself was a retool of the 2005 R4-G9 mold. I'm not sure if I would have preferred this figure on the build-a-droid body, but I think this one works just fine.Oh, ok. Why would they do this? It wasn't that great a figure before when it was covered in oil and fire effects, but I certainly cannot imagine spending even more for a plain version when it's just not special. You can spend that $10 and let us know how it turns out. ;)

Anakin is by far the best version of his AOTC appearance. The jawline is a little thick - the head is recycled from the Target exclusive Geonosis Arena Showdown set, but painted a little better. But it's very nice to not have those black soft-goods eyesores anymore, and the added articulation helps with posing the figure in more dynamic ways."The best version" of a figure I don't want anymore. It's not a bad-looking figure, I just don't care about prequels Anakin anymore, especially at $10 a pop. And that head isn't particularly good, it still doesn't look like Hayden even remotely - although it's not a bad Brian Thompson. :p

From the photos, Luminara and Pablo Jill look to be the best figures in the entire wave. It's just too bad I don't care about either character in the slightest. Bingo! Same here.

Man, that Stormtrooper is just looking worse and worse. If it's not the horrible helmet sculpt or the giraffe neck, it's the crappy paint apps. In fact, the paint on that helmet is worse than anything I've seen in the 5-POA Saga Legends line.Totally. I don't understand the thinking here, Hasbro is trying to make a very specific statement about the future of the brand with this line, then they pull cop-out stuff like this that undermines everything. Save a buck and cost the brand 5% more of its loyal customers, what a tradeoff. Same with that R2 in this wave, what they save in costs they lose in loyal consumers.

Umbra
09-15-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm curious then, what has been the best version of the stormtrooper? I recall the one before this yellowed really badly.

JediTricks
09-18-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm curious then, what has been the best version of the stormtrooper? I recall the one before this yellowed really badly.My favorite by far is the TAC version, the 30th Anniversary Collection figure: http://www.rebelscum.com/TAC20storm.asp
The close-together legs, helmet size and sculpt, larger lenses, and better proportions hold up more than the successor, the TVC Stormtrooper: http://www.rebelscum.com/TVC41Storm.asp
I don't like that figure's hips or torso jointing, they're unattractive.

That said, every stormtrooper seems to yellow with age.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-19-2013, 09:54 PM
That said, every stormtrooper seems to yellow with age.Then I suppose the version we need is Tartar Control Stormtrooper. :D I always liked the POTF2 COMMTech one; I even put water on him to test his "battle damage."

JediTricks
10-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Having seen yet one more hideous picture of another Mara Jade production figure, I've canceled my preorder from Amazon. This figure is terribly ugly and I just cannot see spending $11 on a figure I cannot look at. The head sculpt's jawline was bad enough, kinda sunken and hollow and manly, but then the crazy angry eyebrows and the ridiculous wig destroyed it.

bigbarada
10-04-2013, 04:31 PM
My favorite by far is the TAC version, the 30th Anniversary Collection figure: http://www.rebelscum.com/TAC20storm.asp
The close-together legs, helmet size and sculpt, larger lenses, and better proportions hold up more than the successor, the TVC Stormtrooper: http://www.rebelscum.com/TVC41Storm.asp
I don't like that figure's hips or torso jointing, they're unattractive.

That said, every stormtrooper seems to yellow with age.

That 2007 TAC Stormtrooper is actually when I lost all faith in Hasbro's ability to give us a decent Stormtrooper figure. It's also when I started to turn against the idea of unnecessary removable helmets. The helmet on that figure is too soft, gumdrop shaped, and it doesn't look anything like a Stormtrooper helmet in silhouette.

For me, the helmet is the most important part of the figure. Hasbro could make everything from the neck down look perfectly screen accurate, with 30+ points-of-articulation (all completely invisible); but if they screw the helmet up, then the figure is garbage as far as I'm concerned.

So far, the 6" Sandtrooper is the first time Hasbro has ever even come close to matching the proper looks of the onscreen Stormtrooper helmets. Every Stormtrooper figure they've made prior to 2013 just looks like junk to my eyes.

The upcoming 6" Stormtrooper looks like Hasbro is falling back into some of their old mistakes of allowing too much artistic interpretation to enter their Stormtrooper helmet sculpts; but that upcoming Saga Legends 5POA Stormtrooper looks like it might be the greatest 3.75" Stormtrooper Hasbro has ever made.

Of course, I probably shouldn't say things like that and get my expectations built up too much, because then the figure could never be anything but a disappointment when I actually see it in hand.

JediTricks
12-09-2013, 03:57 PM
After seeing a few alternate pics out there of loose Mara Jades, I ended up getting an order in on the second batch Amazon got from Hasbro, and that second batch is a better figure, with the hair fitting more or less exactly as expected. It's still a big hair and in the way for turning the head, although not totally locked down, but at least it's not a fivehead. The figure's biggest issue is the orange eyebrows, they just look painted on and not right, which doesn't go well with the somewhat cut jawline and cheeks of the figure. But overall it looks good, moves well, and I like the movable holster going from side to back of the belt.

As for the Stormtrooper helmet, I don't see what you mean about the silhouette at all.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-30-2013, 02:10 PM
I received all of this wave for Christmas thanks to HasbroToyShop actually stocking them, unlike any of the stores in my neck of the woods.

R2-D2 is plain and could have used more accessories, like a recycled droid factory conveyor belt or something. But he's a good straightforward booster rocket version, and it's nice to finally have a good, clean version of this look.

The stormtrooper is kind of a mess, with a mispainted "mouth" and paint scratching off his legs too easily. The neck is way too long and the hole in the back is just bad at this point in the line. It's fine for what it is, but what it is is just a sandtrooper who woke up too late and forgot his stuff.

The 41st elite clone, of course, is missing pretty much all of his significant paint applications. It's just a generic white clone with a few gray stripes added. Totally skippable - I can't believe they missed it so significantly. Someone somewhere said that Hasbro will still be doing a running change, but I agree that's unlikely at this point, especially as it's been carried forward into wave 3 without any changes.

I actually like Mara Jade more than I thought I would. The hair's definitely too big and '80s-tastic, but at least mine is positioned properly. It's sculpted to sit on her shoulders in a specific way, so that restricts head movement. The eyebrows are pretty severe, but not too ridiculously big. The holster can plug into the back or the side of her belt, which is kind of neat. Again, they really screwed up by not releasing any other version than the catsuit, but it's a nice upgrade to that version (and the first black one, where the others were dark blue, if that matters).

Now, Luminara is actually quite good. Her headdress pops off all the time, but it's able to rest properly unless it's hindered by her shoulders. The soft goods feel like cheesecloth, and they can be a little difficult to pose and are a bit too long. I haven't had these figures standing up much, but I couldn't really achieve her arena entrance pose due to both the headdress and cloth issues. It looks way better than previous versions, anyway.

Pablo-Jill is the winner of the group, as expected by many. He's a big, bulky figure, so they jammed in some extra articulation - rocker ankles and wrists designed more like typical heads being the most helpful. I couldn't really get a sitting pose, which I want for the planned-but-not-really-planned body reuse as Coleman Kcaj. But he can do so much more than the 2004 release and he just looks fantastic.