PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars - The Black Series: 6" Wave 2 Discussion Thread!

Beast
07-19-2013, 03:50 PM
We now have the full line-up for Wave 2 of the 6" Black Series from SDCC.

Leia: Slave Girl, Han Solo: ANH, Greedo, and Boba Fett (Same Figure/No Carbonite Block)

Pretty decent line-up. Glad that Han and Greedo are in the same wave. Wish Boba Fett would have been retooled and repainted as a RotJ version though... so as to be paired with Leia: Slave Girl. But still... awesome sauce.

Though no Prequel figure is a surprise. Guess that means that Anakin and Obi-Wan: ROTS will both be in Wave 3.

Princess Leia: Slave Girl - Wow... they did a fantastic job with nailing every detail of that costume. While it's not my favorite look for Leia by far... it's a great looking figure. Can't wait to get her.

Han Solo: ANH - Han turned out pretty good. Harrison Ford's face is still very difficult for any company to nail. Especially his look from ANH. They seem to do better with ESB and RotJ Han faces.

Greedo - We've already seen and said pretty much everything about this guy. :)

Boba Fett - Ditto for the Fettster. Though I do wish it was the Return of the Jedi version.

bigbarada
07-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Where are you seeing photos of these figures?

EDIT: Never mind I found them. Those are looking pretty sweet. The likeness on the Han figure seems a little muted, so I'm hoping it looks better in the production version.

Leia looks pretty good, but I know we're going to have to endure about a million and one complaints about the overly visible joints on her arms and legs.

I'm glad Boba Fett is the ESB version, this way I can ignore the SDCC set completely.

Greedo still looks really good, but I'm hoping those eyes get painted darker on the final version.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Releasing Han and Greedo together will work to sell more of both of them - this might be their idea for Anakin and Obi-Wan if they do them for wave 3.

I really like all the accessories they gave Han. Overall these are very good choices for the line, so I hope it does well.

Beast
07-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I just saw that Han comes with the Stormtrooper Belt, Blaster, and Gloved Hands.

If he has the headset as well, it's the definitive Han Solo from A New Hope. Even if not, it's fabu.

Beast
08-16-2013, 09:36 AM
They're not out until November.... but we already have carded pics of Wave 2.

Wave 2 looks great. And I like the roster better than Wave 1 as well.

I do wish that Han Solo had his headset as well. But otherwise... he's awesome.

sith_killer_99
08-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Well there goes another $175. :pleased:

I like the 6 inch line personally. Yes the first wave could have been better, but overall I am satisfied enough to stick with it for now. The choice to focus on OT characters helps sell me on this as as well.

I do wonder, with all the accessories they put in with Han Solo, why they decided to go with a dirty Sandtrooper for wave one with a single orange pauldron. Personally, I think they should have gone with a clean Stormtrooper and multiple pauldron accessories. They made Darth Maul with removable heads so you can change his look, they REALLY should have done the same for the Sandtrooper.

Then Hasbro could have shipped solid cases of Stormtrooper/Sandtroopers. I would have spent $200 just on that one figure!

X1 Boxed MIMB
X2 Stormtrooper
X2 Sandtrooper Orange Pauldron
X2 Sandtrooper Black Pauldron
X2 Sandtrooper White Pauldron

Plus one for the boy. He loves Star Wars, not as much as his old man, but he still gets a kick out of it and he like the 6 inch figures, Iron Man, Spiderman, now he has SW figures to go with his other stuff and they are the same scale.

Oh, even better, since they can do removable heads (ala Darth Maul). They could have done a Stormtrooper with Luke and Han heads!

Beast
08-16-2013, 12:42 PM
I do wonder, with all the accessories they put in with Han Solo, why they decided to go with a dirty Sandtrooper for wave one with a single orange pauldron. Personally, I think they should have gone with a clean Stormtrooper and multiple pauldron accessories. They made Darth Maul with removable heads so you can change his look, they REALLY should have done the same for the Sandtrooper.
Well... Hasbro has a sick love of the Sandtrooper. As has been shown in the 3 3/4" line for years.

And given the differences in the armor between the Stormtrooper and Sandtrooper, it's a good thing they didn't.

Especially since people have been complaining about wanting an accurate Sandie for ages.

Oh, even better, since they can do removable heads (ala Darth Maul). They could have done a Stormtrooper with Luke and Han heads!
I'm hoping that when they do Stormtrooper Luke and Han. That the Stormie Luke will be heavily retooled.

Since Luke is "Too Short For A Stormtrooper" after all. The 4" line did a good job of making him that.

Beast
08-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Amazon.Com has Wave 2 up for Pre-Order now. $22.99 a piece. :)

Black Series 6" #05 - Princess Leia (Slave Outfit) (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Series-Princess-Outfit/dp/B00CFELUZS/)

Black Series 6" #06 - Boba Fett (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Series-Figure-Inches/dp/B00CFELUXU/)

Black Series 6" #07 - Greedo (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Series-Greedo-Figure/dp/B00CFELWPQ/)

Black Series 6" #08 - Han Solo (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Series-Figure-Inches/dp/B00CFELV16/)

JediTricks
08-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Ugh, what happened to Leia's eyes? It's like a cartoon version of Carrie's face, they're recognizable yet horrifying.

I preordered only Han, the rest do nothing for me. Also, what's with the $3 increase, did Hasbro hit the wall that fast?

Beast
08-27-2013, 07:09 PM
The eyes I think are just due to Hasbro's awful photography skills. Seen plenty of figures that do that in their press releases. It should most likely look better on the released product. So I wouldn't worry.

And no, the $3.00 increase is just Amazon. Wave 1 went up originally at $22.99 also.

JediTricks
08-27-2013, 07:22 PM
The eyes I think are just due to Hasbro's awful photography skills. Seen plenty of figures that do that in their press releases. It should most likely look better on the released product. So I wouldn't worry.

And no, the $3.00 increase is just Amazon. Wave 1 went up originally at $22.99 also.Those are not photography issues on those eyes, that's clearly a paint issue, it's showing on the packaged shot as well from a different angle. She looks like a Scooby Doo celebrity guest character that just ran into a monster.
"Hey, it's famous actress and writer Carrie Fisher, what are you doing in this spooky old factory?"
"Hi kids, well I figured I should start working on a backup career in case acting and writing don't pan out, and renovating this old mustard squeeze-bottle factory sounded like a great investment at the time when I got talked into-- Wait, is that a gh-gh-gh-ghost?!?"
"ZOINKS! Like, let's get out of here Scoob! You too, Miss Fisher!"
"*canned laughter*"
"Jinkies!"

Whether it's a production paint issue is another question, and I think that is a production or near-production sample too, based on the amount of flash on the arm joints. That eye paint has all the artistry and nuance of an "OBEY" Andre the Giant stencil slapped on an overpass 15 seconds ago.

The first time I saw the wave 1 6"ers on Amazon was $19.99.

Beast
10-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Good news! Looks like there won't be a long wait for Wave 2....

Entertainment Earth has the Wave 2 case in stock right now for $79.99... and with free shipping. :)

Got my case ordered and will be on it's way soon. Guess my Bro gets the Boba Fett.

JediTricks
10-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Why did they make Slave Leia child-sized?

http://www.rebelscum.com/Hasbro-Star-Wars/The-Black-Series/6-Inch-Figures/Princess-Leia-Slave-Outfit-05/IMAGE19.asp

Is this now a thing with the 6" line, there will always be 1 underscaled figure per wave? First R2, now Leia. Between the wide hips, doll eyes, and now the child-sized stature, I'm glad I passed on this one.

bigbarada
10-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Why did they make Slave Leia child-sized?

http://www.rebelscum.com/Hasbro-Star-Wars/The-Black-Series/6-Inch-Figures/Princess-Leia-Slave-Outfit-05/IMAGE19.asp

Is this now a thing with the 6" line, there will always be 1 underscaled figure per wave? First R2, now Leia. Between the wide hips, doll eyes, and now the child-sized stature, I'm glad I passed on this one.

Not that I plan to buy any of the figures from this wave (although that Han Solo might just impress me enough in person to make an exception), but Leia looks to be about the right height when you consider how freakishly tiny Carrie Fisher really is:

Beast
10-22-2013, 11:36 PM
She looks pretty close to how tall she was in the movie.

If you look at pics of her next to Han. She's 5'1" and Han's 6'1".

I guess they could have just done giant Princess Leia figures like we got for years in POTF2.

But I'd rather they actually do her in a more accurate scale and not the same size as the males.

This sounds like the reaction we got when Hasbro finally started producing accurate sized Leia figures.

That said.... my only real issue with the figure is that I wish they had given her a real chain slave collar.

JediTricks
10-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Not that I plan to buy any of the figures from this wave (although that Han Solo might just impress me enough in person to make an exception), but Leia looks to be about the right height when you consider how freakishly tiny Carrie Fisher really is:
28009That pic is kinda weird in scales, Lando huge just because he's a few steps ahead, Chewie pretty short despite again being just a few steps behind. Anyway, if that's an accurate representation, she's still about 10% taller than the figure, compare to the shoulder, and not as petite across either. That weird long neck on the Han figure doesn't help either.

That Han looked really good in person at SDCC, btw, but the production pics have the same bigger painted eyes that the Leia does so there is a tradeoff. I really don't know why the subtlety of the eyes on Luke couldn't be carried forward, the eyes on Leia and Han in wave 2 look so much lesser-than to me.

She looks pretty close to how tall she was in the movie.

If you look at pics of her next to Han. She's 5'1" and Han's 6'1".

I guess they could have just done giant Princess Leia figures like we got for years in POTF2.

But I'd rather they actually do her in a more accurate scale and not the same size as the males.

This sounds like the reaction we got when Hasbro finally started producing accurate sized Leia figures.:rolleyes: Thanks for the troll-esque responses.

Note in your evidence that the "she expressed her true feelings for me" pic of Leia and Han she comes up to his chin, while the figure doesn't even come up to that Han's shoulders. But whatever, I guess just lump me in with the most ignorant collectors possible to bolster your argument.

El Chuxter
10-23-2013, 12:29 AM
Three of those figures actually look pretty good.

But if anyone defends anything about that abortion of a Leia figure, they should find a designated driver until the alcohol's out of their system. :)

(But, in all seriousness, the stature, proportions, face, neck, arms, knees, and especially hips of that figure are just awful. That's inexcusable in a $20 figure.)

bigbarada
10-23-2013, 11:32 AM
That pic is kinda weird in scales, Lando huge just because he's a few steps ahead, Chewie pretty short despite again being just a few steps behind. Anyway, if that's an accurate representation, she's still about 10% taller than the figure, compare to the shoulder, and not as petite across either. That weird long neck on the Han figure doesn't help either.

Well, it's a wide-angle photo, so it's going to create some slight "fisheye" distortion to the image. The combination of the distortion and the depth of field is what indicates to me that it's taken with a wide-angle lens. If the photo was taken with a narrow-angle lens (aka telephoto), then the background wouldn't be so clearly in focus, even Chewbacca would be noticeably out of focus compared to Han and Leia.

Wide-angle lenses create predictable distortion to an image. Objects near the edge of the frame get noticeably distorted, which is why Lando looks so gigantic and the distance between objects within the frame are exaggerated, which is why Chewbacca looks so tiny. So, if anything, this photo would be making Leia appear larger than she actually is, not smaller.

Also, in those close-cropped images of the actors (like the one Beast posted), where you are only supposed to be focusing on their faces and their expressions, sometimes they will have shorter actors standing on boxes or platforms in order to frame the shot better. So if you can't see the actors' feet, then the image is not reliable at all for determining scale.

I do agree that the 6" Han Solo's long neck is throwing the height comparison off. Plus, the fact that every figure in this line so far has a pinhead doesn't help. If Leia's head was larger, then your mind would be telling you that she's just short, but since they made her head too small, then she ends up looking improperly scaled.

Three of those figures actually look pretty good.

But if anyone defends anything about that abortion of a Leia figure, they should find a designated driver until the alcohol's out of their system. :)

I don't think the figure looks good at all, but I'm just saying that the height of the figure seems to be the one thing that Hasbro didn't get wrong.

bigbarada
10-23-2013, 02:54 PM
I have to say that after seeing the photo of the "giant" POTF2 Slave Leia, I can't help but wonder what that figure would look like standing next to the 6" Slave Leia. Would there even be much of a size difference?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Adam Pawlus' review pointed out that Han's eyes aren't even the right color - and he doesn't have his chin scar. The figure looks pretty phenomenal other than that (though I've yet to see it in person), but how could they fumble such obvious details?

sebillba
11-13-2013, 07:17 AM
The eyes may be wrong, but it looks to me like the scar is there: http://www.rebelscum.com/Hasbro-Star-Wars/The-Black-Series/6-Inch-Figures/Han-Solo-08/IMAGE7.asp

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-13-2013, 11:59 AM
The eyes may be wrong, but it looks to me like the scar is there: http://www.rebelscum.com/Hasbro-Star-Wars/The-Black-Series/6-Inch-Figures/Han-Solo-08/IMAGE7.asp

Hmm, looks like you're right. Here's Galactic Hunter's review (http://figureoftheday.blogspot.com/2013/11/star-wars-figure-of-day-day-2051-han.html) for reference. It's a little too subtle, but it does look like it's there.

Darth Metalmute
11-14-2013, 07:57 PM
The Galactic Hunters Review pictures are cartoonish. I hope they just used the wrong lens...

JediTricks
11-15-2013, 03:15 PM
So Amazon delivered my 6" Han Solo, and the QC fail is minimal, just some white paint transfer on the figure's behind and a mispainted bloodstripe on the right side.

The figure overall is very good. The likeness has issues straight-on, but from above and from either side it's good. The issues are the blue eyes and the mouth isn't quite the right width. The shiny plastic used isn't as nice as Luke's painted plastic, but it does have a sweaty look that kinda works for what it is. The hair paint is very good though, layered but not as extreme as Luke's.

The sculpting on Han isn't quite as sharp overall as Luke which takes some nuance and quality away, but there are a few bright spots.

Paint is decent overall, a few little sloppy areas but nothing worse than wave 1. Not quite as nuanced as Luke, but more than Maul.

The anatomy is a little dubious, the forearms are a bit too long, the neck is a bit too long (although not as bad as it seems), and with the vest off the figure seems almost emaciated. But generally it holds up, if you don't mind the mid-torso articulation being pretty low down. The articulation is fairly good, the same as the wave 1 non-armored figures in the line, and I think I would have preferred double joints on the elbows over the singles which bend just past 90 degrees. The figure stands a little too tall for my tastes not just because of the neck but the shoulders seem high compared to the Sandtrooper, but it's minimal, maybe 5% to the eye.

There is one point of articulation they changed actually, it's the wrist hinge on the right wrist, where wave 1 had an up-down hinge this figure has a side-side hinge and it's a shame because that's the gun hand. Both sets of hands have this as well, and the joints are very small compared to the gloved hands of wave 1 figures despite being removable pegs - a very odd choice that hopefully doesn't cause drama down the road.

The stormtrooper belt is pretty good, only thing missing is the right hip box - no idea why they cut that. The holster works very well, and even though the belt is cast in brown and painted white, the holster is painted black on the inside, nice touch.

The gunbelt is good as well, nice sculpt and good paint, good details. The strap holding the pistol into the holster is very fine and I suspect it'll eventually rip at its peg, it's also permanently bent to look right closed which makes it difficult to get out of the way to get the pistol in.

The E-11 Stormtrooper blaster is the same as the Sandtrooper one I think, I haven't compared. No paint, just black plastic.

The DL-44 blaster pistol is nice, some details didn't come through like the air-cooling fins on the front and the left side indent, but many did like the muzzle holes. Paint is silver weathering, a brown grip (the whole grip, not like Luke's), and the silver on the front muzzle (but oddly not the back half of the muzzle). It's perfectly scaled to Luke's DL-44 as well despite being a different sculpt. It fits into the holster but takes a little effort to get exactly right.

The gloved hands are decent, the right hand a trigger pull pose and the left hand a wide-open C shape to cradle the right hand for blaster poses. The non-gloved hands are a little better, the right a trigger pose again and not quite able to reach the trigger on the E-11 nicely but looks good close; the left hand is a tight cupped shape designed specifically to cradle the E-11's barrel.

One pointless nit to pick, the peg holes in the feet are WAY bigger than wave 1's.

Adam Pawlus' review pointed out that Han's eyes aren't even the right color - and he doesn't have his chin scar. The figure looks pretty phenomenal other than that (though I've yet to see it in person), but how could they fumble such obvious details?I think the blame is probably on the Chinese factory, but it could be Lucas Licensing stopped giving a crap. In person, it's more a sense that something is wrong than a true visual attack of a problem because it barely shows in normal light.

The eyes may be wrong, but it looks to me like the scar is there: http://www.rebelscum.com/Hasbro-Star-Wars/The-Black-Series/6-Inch-Figures/Han-Solo-08/IMAGE7.aspYes, the scar is there, but because of the plastic used it can't be seen in normal light, you have to blast it with light to get it to show, and it's a blob in person.

Hmm, looks like you're right. Here's Galactic Hunter's review (http://figureoftheday.blogspot.com/2013/11/star-wars-figure-of-day-day-2051-han.html) for reference. It's a little too subtle, but it does look like it's there.

The Galactic Hunters Review pictures are cartoonish. I hope they just used the wrong lens...It's not just the lens, although it is that, but also the subject is too close to the lens and the choice of lighting is all wrong so that it's getting fisheyed and distorted. The figure looks nothing like that in person, much more realistic, here's a quick snap from my cell with and without flash, at distance and then up close:

El Chuxter
11-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Someone give Han a hamburger!!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the write-up, he looks pretty cool. HasbroToyShop currently has him (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/star-wars-the-black-series-han-solo-figure?BR=495), Leia (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/star-wars-the-black-series-princess-leia-slave-outfit-figure?BR=495), and Greedo (http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/star-wars-the-black-series-greedo-figure?BR=495) in stock, but naturally Boba is sold out.

JediTricks
11-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Yeah, Han could use a little time in the gym too. He's not particularly bulky in the film, but this figure takes it a tad far with that skinny frame.

Also, note the different in the eyes between Luke and Han there, that's something that takes this line back to toytown officially with wave 2, and it's a shame because the paint work on Luke is what gave me the most hope for the future of this line. Now, I dunno, maybe it'll get out of the doldrums, but I see Leia and Bespin Luke and it's awful, Han isn't as bad but still a backslide. Hopefully this is where the line holds though.

You're welcome, I figure it's a good enough figure to warrant conversation, and I didn't have a lot of positive to say about wave 1 so it's nice to see something work. Plus, this is the first Han figure in ages worth a crap in any Hasbro scale.

I passed on Boba Fett on purpose, there are too many sculpt issues that hold it back for my tastes - the immobile viewfinder, the wookiee braids, the rigid belt packs, the hoses, that stuff kept me from going after it.

Darth Metalmute
11-16-2013, 08:12 PM
I saw Han live out in the wild today. He looks alot better than I expected, I wish I would have picked him up. I went back and forth on him and ended up putting him back.

I received Leia today. Her face isn't too bad, but she has an odd look on her face. I haven't opened it yet, but the joints in the legs look bad; probably due to it being skin and not clothes.

bigbarada
11-16-2013, 08:39 PM
The figure overall is very good. The likeness has issues straight-on, but from above and from either side it's good.

From what I can see, in terms of the likeness, Han's eyes seem to be a bit too close together; but that could just be an illusion created by paint apps. However, the eyebrows seem to be the biggest problem: they are too thick, too arched, and too high on his forehead.

As it is, the figure definitely feels like a much more "glammed up" version of Han Solo, when he really needs to look more rugged and scruffy.

Darth Metalmute
11-16-2013, 09:39 PM
The pictures I've seen make me think of Han Solo from the cartoon in the Christmas Special. The figure in real life doesn't look that bad.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-16-2013, 10:07 PM
I picked up Han, Leia, and Greedo at Target today - no sign of Boba - but haven't had time to open them. The paint apps look significantly better than wave 1 did at first; there was only one of each figure and they were all acceptable. Han's chest is a little off and so are Leia's eyes. But they do look very cool.

Han is definitely too skinny, though I want to see how it is out of the package and everything. It's not as bad as the legs on the VOTC figure, but I really don't know why Hasbro insists he was SO skinny.

JetsAndHeels
11-18-2013, 08:23 AM
I got Boba Fett yesterday. I love it!!

I also want to get Han and Greedo..not so sure about Leia. We shall see.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Of the three I got, they're all pretty freakin' sweet. Han is probably the best - his accessories are numerous and well executed. The blue eyes are annoying but not that bad. Greedo is also great, though I think he's too tall and the oval eyes throw off the look. I also wish he was better able to rotate his head from side to side more, as he does in the film. Leia is short, but frankly probably not TOO out of scale since Carrie was so tiny in real life even if they tried to hide it in the films. Her eyes are a little cartoony but don't seriously detract from the figure in any real way.

As a whole, they're just plain cool. I figure this wave is probably a better representation of what much of the line will be like, and I'm definitely a fan.

JetsAndHeels
11-18-2013, 11:28 AM
I figure this wave is probably a better representation of what much of the line will be like, and I'm definitely a fan.

I'm with you 100% on this..when I got Maul and opened up I was very impressed with the detail, articulation, and overall feel of the figure. I skipped the rest and was holding out for Boba. Now that I have him as well I think that it's time I get the rest of wave 2.

This line officially has me hooked, and it's great to be excited about Star Wars toys again.

Darth Metalmute
11-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Finally opened Leia. As long as you don't spin the legs, she's not bad. The expression on her face is emotionless, none the less. They did give her slumped over shoulders which, pardon the phrase, leads to sagging. Still waiting on my Boba Fett.

Next time I see Han though, I am getting him.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-19-2013, 11:26 PM
From listening and seeing your comments and images, if I actually find any of these in the stores, I might actually buy one or some. Might.

El Chuxter
11-20-2013, 06:26 PM
I saw Greedo and Leia today at a K-Mart (which had previously had no TBS figures in any scale).

Greedo had silver paint all over his face. It looked like his eye was overpainted, only, um, it was silver. I wasn't entirely able to figure that one out.

The Leia, and I swear I'm not kidding, looked more like Harrison Ford than about 3/4 of the smaller Han Solo figures. I'm not sure if it was poor paint or what, but it was downright creepy, like Han decided to cross-dress in his wife's old underwear.

Darth Metalmute
11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
I received Boba Fett yesterday and love him. Probably the best 6" figure I have. He is the first one where the accessories are actually relevant and all are usable at one time. Even though he is somewhat bulky, he is pretty easily pose-able. I only have two minor complaints. The paint job on the rocket back is very poorly done. I know that Boba, unlike Jango, is in earth tones, but I have regular figures with a better paint job. It is literally the greenish-grey color all over with silver scratches. I might buy some paint to fix it up. My second complaint is his rifle butt is either too big, or his joints are not allowing him to hold it correctly. It doesn't fit well into the elbow and either has to be bent inward, or slightly rotated underneath.

JetsAndHeels
11-22-2013, 07:56 AM
I received Boba Fett yesterday and love him. Probably the best 6" figure I have.

Congrats!! I agree with all of your points on Boba..he is about as close to a perfect 6 inch figure as we could get, minus a few small issues. I may be greedy, but I want a second one now just to keep displayed in its packaging.

Until then, I am looking for the rest of wave 2, especially Han and Greedo.

OC47151
11-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Bought my first BS 6-inch the other day. Lucky to find Han. Mr. Fett wasn't here, but I do want to get him eventually.

Haven't opened Han yet. Love the accessories. The paint job does look better than the first wave.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-29-2013, 11:22 AM
I have seen none of wave 2 in stores. Mainly R2 and Luke warm the shelves (no pegs for these'ns).

OC47151
11-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Seeing slave Leia and Greedo on the shelves/pegs in the last week. Seen Han a couple of time, but still no Mr. Fett.

Also noticed that some of the stores have restocked the first wave of the 3 3/4-inch BS figs.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-30-2013, 01:12 AM
Also noticed that some of the stores have restocked the first wave of the 3 3/4-inch BS figs.

I've noticed that as well. I've been seeing some figures with newer variations - lighter hair for Anakin and a darker midsection for the Biker Scout. And they actually seem to be staying on the cards...so far. But I wonder if it's new shipments of wave 1 or remnants of wave 2, since six of the slow movers from the first wave are carried forward (sadly).

El Chuxter
11-30-2013, 10:39 AM
A few stores put out Wave 2 here. Leia, Han, and Greedo are all pegwarming with a vengeance, particularly Leia. I have yet to see a Leia with paint I'd consider decent enough for a dollar store figure, and I'm absolutely serious. I showed one to my wife at Target yesterday and she thought it was some EU character in the slave outfit because it looked so little like Leia.

Something did occur to me, though. This is a line geared toward collectors and, so far, unless you want to quibble over the Sandtrooper/Stormtrooper thing, there are no repeated characters and no plans to repeat characters. Of the characters with lots of costume changes, we get ROTS Obi-Wan, ANH Han, ANH Pilot Luke... and Princess Leia in the bikini. Seems an odd choice. Does that speak more for Hasbro being sexist, or for them thinking we're sexist?

Darth Metalmute
11-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Outside of Fett, Han, and the Stormtrooper, I've thought all of the selections have been odd. You do have an excellent point about the Leia though... It seems to me, that if you wanted to do Slave Leia, you would wait until they "perfected" the 6" figure considering the delicacy of a partially nude figure. As for your sexist comment, I would vote for both.

JediTricks
11-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Found a Slave Leia pretty early on, good paint, so I bought it. Overall, the figure is better than I thought. The likeness is spot on except actually a little healthier than Carrie Fisher looked in ROTJ (she lost a lot of weight for the costume and it made her face slender in the film, the figure's head isn't so hollow at the cheeks), the expression is neutral in a way that lets it look slightly determined or hopeful or sad depending on the angle and pose used. It's not good for big action expression of course, but I'll take neutral over teeth-gnashing "grrr!!!" for versatility. The head is cast in brown for the hair and then the face is painted, and it looks better than the shiny plastic face on Han. The hair has painted highlights and gold elements.

The body has a fairly good likeness from the waist up even though the sculpting is soft in detail, but below the waist the technical issues catch up things so that the hips are simply too wide and the thighs too big for the character. The body posture is weird on this figure because the neck is tilted forward permanently at its base and the mid-torso joint doesn't bend back past neutral upright at all, so it can strike normal poses but you're always fighting a sense of an osteoporosis look creeping into your poses. The sculptor must have intended this as the balance point is slightly forward, making you compensate ever so much with tiny adjustments to the hips and ankles.

The hips are so very wide and for no reason at all, the figure is teeny tiny compared to Han but is still a 6-inch-scale figure, there was simply no excuse for using such a large hip design, they shouldn't have even considered using their ridiculous buck design with its broad T-bar crotch when they started sculpting this figure. The hips aren't anatomically impossible, but they're birthing hips where Carrie Fisher's were fairly narrow in the film. The hip joints are also bulbous standing straight up which looks very wrong, they flow better when tilted out to the sides. The thighs are a bit thicker than they should be, and the mid-thigh articulation cut makes everything much worse.

The articulation looks like articulation, the upper body is not too bad for an exposed-body figure, with the worst visual offender being the slight gap at the top of the shoulders. The lower body hips gap a little and just don't flow well as mentioned before. The mid-thigh articulation looks bad at all times and utterly awful when used. The knees are double-hinged to a separate kneecap part, the hinge pins are the only element I don't think the figure gets away with here though, knees are generally knobby anyway and Leia was a bit knock-kneed in this costume. The ankle articulation is oddly not the line-standard, going to a more traditional hinge and single-rotation-at-the-ankle design which means she can turn and pivot her shoes, but not roll them - I find the lack of that lateral rolling a tad frustrating as it keeps her feet from being flat on the ground in most poses.

Her collar is removable by way of her head, and molded with that is a chain that goes down to her midsection. The chain is rubbery plastic painted silver with half its holes knocked through, it looks a bit chintzy and along with her rubbery hair doesn't hang quite naturally. The bra and arm jewlery are sculpted and painted, while the bottoms are a separate plastic piece that's lighter in color and has fabric glued under. The fabric scales very poorly, it's cut too narrow and it's stiff and very flat so it moves badly, and it's got hanging threads that suggest it will not age well.

Leia comes with a vibro-axe and the pike/rifle she swung around the deck of the sail barge. The vibro-axe is her heightand has a painted silver blade, it looks good in her hands. The rifle/pike is cast in rusty red plastic and is heavily spattered in silver. The pike's sculpting is only so-so, the larger end looks like it was scaled up from the 3.75" accessory, and it's missing the midsection pipe. The pike's bigger problem is that it's silvery red instead of black with light rust the way the prop was. But it's not terrible, just not great either.

Overall, I like this figure, but it does have some issues. It can do a decent legs-apart standing pose, it can do a few good action poses, and while I don't have scale pillows it does actually look pretty accurate in the "sitting next to Jabba" pose (although the limited range of motion in the mid-torso joint holds it back in the more reclined version of that pose). And of course, it's really REALLY short.

From what I can see, in terms of the likeness, Han's eyes seem to be a bit too close together; but that could just be an illusion created by paint apps. However, the eyebrows seem to be the biggest problem: they are too thick, too arched, and too high on his forehead.

As it is, the figure definitely feels like a much more "glammed up" version of Han Solo, when he really needs to look more rugged and scruffy.I just compared a straight-on photo of Harrison Ford with the figure, the eyes aligned perfectly but the bridge of the nose is too narrow. Also, the nose on the figure is too big and the mouth is too low. The mouth and the eyes are also the wrong shape, the ears are too high. The eyebrows are painted too wide and sculpted too heavy and too close-together, and I'd say you're right about them being too high considering they're being drawn down in the sculpt. The chin is more bulbous and the jawline more sharp, all of which leads to a caricature or cartoon feel. Oddly, the figure's close-up shows it has more lines than Ford.

Oh, and the blue eyes aren't as offensive as first thought because Ford's eyes are hazel with blueish tint, so they go from blue/green to brown.

I find the figure pretty rugged and scruffy, funny how perceptions like this can differ.

A few stores put out Wave 2 here. Leia, Han, and Greedo are all pegwarming with a vengeance, particularly Leia. I have yet to see a Leia with paint I'd consider decent enough for a dollar store figure, and I'm absolutely serious. I showed one to my wife at Target yesterday and she thought it was some EU character in the slave outfit because it looked so little like Leia.

Something did occur to me, though. This is a line geared toward collectors and, so far, unless you want to quibble over the Sandtrooper/Stormtrooper thing, there are no repeated characters and no plans to repeat characters. Of the characters with lots of costume changes, we get ROTS Obi-Wan, ANH Han, ANH Pilot Luke... and Princess Leia in the bikini. Seems an odd choice. Does that speak more for Hasbro being sexist, or for them thinking we're sexist?What a weird take on Slave Leia, I'd say the sculpt is bang-on and the paint on mine is pretty good, first one I saw was solid so I bought it.

There is another repeat coming up, Luke Bespin. But it is odd to fire off Slave Leia so early in the game. I think the intent is to "give collectors what they would want" because in the past Slave Leia has sold hotly compared to other Leia figures. I would have liked a solid ANH Leia or Leia Boushh over this one, but this isn't that bad a choice - it's a visual stand-out, she chokes out Jabba in this outfit, she controls a deck cannon, and she beats people up with a pike/rifle thing before swinging to safety.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-02-2013, 07:32 PM
I have seen none of wave 2 in stores. Mainly R2 and Luke warm the shelves (no pegs for these'ns).I have now seen two wave 2 figs: Greedo & Han. They weren't on sale. I passed.

jpins
12-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Toys'R'Us has a buy one get one for half price sale on Star Wars figures this week.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-02-2013, 11:51 PM
I saw that in the ad... now, will they get new figures in stock to buy? That is the $19.99 question.

OC47151
12-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Outside of Fett, Han, and the Stormtrooper, I've thought all of the selections have been odd.

I agree. Hasbro is all over the board with this series. It would be logical with it being the 30th anniversary of ROTJ to have a few Jedi characters, or maybe one figure from each of the six movies. But there's been a strong focus on ANH. Nothing against Greedo, but there are several other characters I'd prefer to see released before Greedo. Like Obi-Wan.

I'm being selective in purchasing this series. I've only bought Han, and I'm looking for Fett. I might pick up Maul if I can find him at a reasonable price.

El Chuxter
12-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Has a Vader or Anakin been confirmed?

I know they're (he's) overdone in the figure lines, but, really, he IS the main character.

vadersvette
12-03-2013, 04:11 PM
I'm being selective in purchasing this series. I've only bought Han, and I'm looking for Fett.

Same here. Like moms that choose Jif, I am also choosy. I don't have the real estate to afford to these bigg'ns.

I bought all of wave 1, as well as Han. Leia and Greedo are too meh for me to bother with. I have yet to see Fett, arguably my (and apparently everyone else's) most desired figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Has a Vader or Anakin been confirmed?

I know they're (he's) overdone in the figure lines, but, really, he IS the main character.

No word on Vader yet, but ROTS Anakin is coming in wave 4. It seems like he was planned for wave 3 but pushed back - hence the carry-forward Han. The face sculpt they showed looked absolutely atrocious, well beyond any of the issues seen in this line so far, so hopefully they'll work on it before he's released.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-17-2013, 06:39 PM
I have now seen two wave 2 figs: Greedo & Han. They weren't on sale. I passed.Add in Leia, too. And my passing is still going on.

JediTricks
12-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Leia and Greedo are the early frontrunners for shelfwamers, and I've seen Han around a few times. Never seen a Boba Fett in the wild though.

Veers
12-19-2013, 03:39 PM
I only picked up Boba Fett and Greedo. Han Solo looked like crap I thought. The next wave I am only gonna get Stormtrooper.

bigbarada
12-19-2013, 07:25 PM
I went to Target yesterday and found about 5-6 each of Leia and Greedo, 1 Han Solo and not a single Boba Fett. Wave 1 seems to have completely sold out here as well.

Han Solo didn't really look that great to me. Definitely not $20 great. I didn't find a single Leia with a decent paint job and Greedo really bothers me because they made his head too danged small and the color of his eyes just looks completely wrong. Sure, I could repaint the eyes, but for $20 per figure I shouldn't have to.

I think I'm done with the 6" line. The Sandtrooper is my only 6" figure and that probably won't change for a long, long time… at least not until Hasbro fixes these quality control issues.

El Chuxter
12-19-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm seeing Leia everywhere, with Greedo almost as common and Han a bit rarer than Greedo (but still in most stores). Still have never seen Fett.

Good thing they're carrying over Han! :rolleyes:

Veers
12-20-2013, 08:43 AM
I am also seeing Leia everywhere. They should have put more detail into her. Looks like they just blew up the regular 3 3/4" Slave Leia and the same with bucktooth Luke X-Wing. I am definitely only buying items that actually look good such as the Sandtrooper and Boba Fett.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-20-2013, 04:01 PM
I've convinced myself that if I actually see a Fett in stores, I'll buy him. I had a coupon at B&N (which carries the 6" line, but at $24.95 :(), but I couldn't bring myself to pick up Han (no desire for Leia, Luke, or Greedo; the other ones there).

Bel-Cam Jos
12-24-2013, 05:14 PM
I had a coupon at B&N (which carries the 6" line, but at $24.95 :(), but I couldn't bring myself to pick up Han (no desire for Leia, Luke, or Greedo; the other ones there).Interesting how 4 days can change things. With a different coupon, Han Solo ended up under $18 before tax. I'll open him up later, and I may keep him with his own holster on, not his stolen stormtrooper one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-24-2013, 06:42 PM
I saw Han and Greedo at a B&N today while doing some Christmas shopping. I never thought I'd have to add this store to my figure rounds, but such is the horrible distribution these days. :D

OC47151
12-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Boba Fett?? Boba Fett?? Here!?! That's right, I found Mr. Fett on the shelves at my local Target today. Must've just restocked this morning 'cause the shelf was overloaded with the 6-inch series, but just one Fett. A late Christmas present for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-10-2014, 04:08 PM
I finally found Boba Fett at Kmart, and my lord, he is astounding. The paint is evenly and cleanly applied, the sculpt is stunning, and the accessories are great. The only real problem is that the boxes restrict leg movement a bit, but it's not like I'm going to pose him sitting down anyway. I don't mind the immobile viewfinder – I bet it would have screwed with the aesthetics and that's why they didn't include it.

It sounds like the wave is shipping – the extra Leias everywhere sure support that idea – so he's still out there. If you can find him, GET HIM.

bigbarada
06-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Found a Han Solo figure at a comic shop last week and the paint apps on the face were good enough for me to actually buy it. It's the first Star Wars toy I've purchased in the last few months and it's also currently the only Star Wars toy in my collection (I ended up staying in "purge mode" until every last thing was gone). I still have a few books, one model kit, the DVDs, etc.; but, for the first time since 1984, I'm down to just one single Star Wars figure.

I paid $23 for him, but it was worth it to wait until I found one with a good face. I'll likely get Chewbacca next, although I will do the same and hold out for a good paint job that I can inspect BEFORE I pay for it.

I already have a plan for how I'm going to display Han and Chewie once I have both of them together:

El Chuxter
10-13-2014, 09:10 AM
"A lot of people still want Boba Fett. You know what would be a great idea? Release Boba Fett in an exclusive set with the three worst pegwarmers in the 6-inch line, and three of the worst Star Wars pegwarmers of all time from any line! Two of them are currently also pegwarming in a different exclusive set? That just makes this one more awesome!!"

I believe the proper vernacular is "epic fail."

http://yakfaceforums.com/main/2014/10/13/6-black-series-exclusive-pack/

Bel-Cam Jos
10-13-2014, 08:47 PM
You gave me a great sales idea, Chux... mail-away pegwarmers! It's a "special" box that holds 4 (or more?) figures, and you can "customize" with any of the following 3 3/4" figs:
- POTF2 Malakili
- Saga Jerrjerod
- POTF2 Lando
- E3 Neimoidian Guard
- Vintage Jedi Obi-Wan
- CW Animated Anakin
- E1 Tatooine Anakin
- Vintage Echo Base Han
- more great toys!

JediTricks
10-13-2014, 08:56 PM
That's likely a foreign-market exclusive, I can't believe they'd be stupid enough to release it in the US. Also, it appears that these are original boxes stuffed into a multi-pack box, so they're probably buy-backs that Hasbro did in the US when they pegwarmed pushed back out with Boba Fett to get better chances of selling in markets where the 6-inch line may not exist otherwise.

The US' trash is the foreign market's treasure, I guess. Truthfully, none of these figures are bad, just that less collectors are willing to drop $20 on them.

LTBasker
10-14-2014, 04:03 AM
This is probably the most random aspect to take from it, but I like the 45 degree angle in the corner with the character picture. I kind of feel that little detail should be added to the packaging of the individual figures, it might liven them up a bit.