PDA

View Full Version : Amidala vs. Padme

DarthSeattle
03-12-2002, 06:56 PM
Could someone please explain to me what happened to the name "Amidala" in Episode II. I like the name a lot better than "Padme".

Beast
03-12-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by DarthSeattle
Could someone please explain to me what happened to the name "Amidala" in Episode II. I like the name a lot better than "Padme".
Amidala's full name is Padme' Naberrie Amidala. She was only using Amidala when she was the queen, and using the name Padme when she was disguised as a handmaiden. Now that she is no longer queen, she uses her full name again.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
03-12-2002, 07:16 PM
Yep, the secret was out, and Sabe is either out of a job or getting ALOT of plastic surgery...

DarthSeattle
03-12-2002, 07:23 PM
Thank you guys, but does that mean that her last name is "Amidala"? Meaning that her father would be, for example Mr. Amidala? Because I thought that Naberrie was the family name. Also, did Natalie Portman play Sabe, too. I thought so at first, but then I heard somewhere that some other actress played Sabe.

LTBasker
03-12-2002, 07:25 PM
No, someone else played Sabe, in an interview I read Portman said one day her mother went to the set and mistook the person who played Sabe for her.

Amidala is the family name I guess yeah.

DarthSeattle
03-12-2002, 07:32 PM
So is the actress who plays Sabe the one in the black, feather outfit AND at the end battle? If so, does that mean that Natalie Portman herself never donned the black, feather outfit?

derek
03-12-2002, 07:33 PM
i gotta disagree with ya there jar jar. her name is padme amidala naberrie. Naberrie is her last name, as we'll get to meet the whole naberrie family in episode 2.

check out her bio at the official site. it clearly states naberrie is her last name. amidala is either her middle name or a name chosen as a royal title. but it's not a last name. think queen elizabeth or king george for example. royalty uses their first, or in padme's case, her middle name after her title of queen.:)

sabe was played by kerianna knightely. (not to sure on the spelling)

Beast
03-12-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by derek
i gotta disagree with ya there jar jar. her name is padme amidala naberrie. Naberrie is her last name, as we'll get to meet the whole naberrie family in episode 2. Check out her bio at the official site. it clearly states naberrie is her last name. amidala is either her middle name or a name chosen as a royal title. but it's not a last name. think queen elizabeth or king george for example. royalty uses their first, or in padme's case, her middle name after her title of queen.:)

Yeah, your right. My bad, I was going by the original charecter listings for E1 from 3 years ago, where it had it the other way. I humbly surrender my "Star Wars" geek medal for now. But you owe me a rematch. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

derek
03-12-2002, 07:52 PM
jar jar,
no problem. best 2 out of 3.:D

Rollo Tomassi
03-12-2002, 11:50 PM
I thought her name was Padme Naberrie and Amidala was sort of a honorific, like Pope John Paul. His real name is not John Paul, but in fact mffmble enmble something Hungarian, which is where he is from. The same goes for "Amidala"...

Co Jo-Da
03-13-2002, 02:02 AM
I always thought that her full name is Padme Amidala...

Fixer
03-13-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by derek

sabe was played by kerianna knightely. (not to sure on the spelling)

Almost...it's Keira Knightley. And no, to my knowledge, Natalie never donned the black feather gown - at least on screen. The only times Natalie was actually the queen were: at the beginning, in the red dress with the lights, on Coruscant before the Senate in her quarters (when Anakin is looking for Padme), before the Senate in Palpatine's quarters (grey dress), during the Senate appearance (red/gold with them long hangin' things), after the Senate talking to Jar Jar (other black dress) and finally in the celebration scene (white dress) at the end.

DarthSeattle
03-13-2002, 11:07 AM
As we can see, there is still a great deal of confusion on this matter. Who has something that can actually be referenced?

By the way, the pope is Polish, not Hungarian.

DarthSeattle
03-13-2002, 11:10 AM
So Fixer,

What you are saying is that Natalie Portman is never the "queen" on the royal starship? So never in the black feather gown, nor in the purple Egyptian-looking outfit? Certainly it was her at the Qui Gon's funeral.

pthfnder89
03-13-2002, 11:47 AM
I agree, this is really odd. Because I could swear that I remember hearing one of the ILM guys discussing how they had so many shots where they had Natalie Portman as both the handmaiden and the Queen.

JEDIpartner
03-13-2002, 01:16 PM
I read that Amidala was the name that she took when she was elected the new monarch of Naboo after King Veruna's abdication. Perhaps it was in "Cloak of Deception"? I can't honestly recall, but I read that somewhere in the last month.

It is quite clear that her family name IS Naberrie, so that is all I can think of. Perhaps she retained the name Amidala when she became a senator because of her previous role as Naboo's Queen.

DarthSeattle
03-13-2002, 02:02 PM
So she's Senator Amidala is Episode II, JEDIpartnr? Anyone else care to comment on JEDIpartnr's contribution?

Jedi Clint
03-13-2002, 02:17 PM
http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/amidala/index.html

JEDIpartner
03-13-2002, 02:55 PM
Yes, yes... there it is right there in the Official Site databank... Well done, Jedi Clint!!

Rollo Tomassi
03-13-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by DarthSeattle
By the way, the pope is Polish, not Hungarian.

I stand corrected, but my analogy is still relevant regardless of where he came from.