PDA

View Full Version : Empire Special Edition



DarthSeattle
03-12-2002, 07:49 PM
Who else would have liked Ian McDiarmid to have been added to the Empire Strikes Back Special Edition? I had hoped that they would replace "monkey eyes" with Ian. I hope they add this to the DVD one day.

Dryanta
03-12-2002, 08:12 PM
This has come up a few times here.
I think it has to be done!!
The more I think of it the it screws up the continuity of the films.
Jar Jar Binks posted a rumor he had heard about this in another thread.Jump over to the thread about deleted scenes and read it.
Great idea if you ask me.I won't repost it here.I don't want to come across as someone who rides on the coat tails of someone else's research

SithDroid
03-12-2002, 11:44 PM
I always though that as well. I'd like to see Ian McDiarmid in that scene over the other bug eyes guy. It couldn't be that hard to fix, plus it would mesh much better with ALL of the SW movies.

derek
03-12-2002, 11:46 PM
it sounds good to me. un less that guy in emperor was the "clone" and sideous hadn't killed him yet!:crazed:

Beast
03-12-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Dryanta
This has come up a few times here. I think it has to be done!!
The more I think of it the it screws up the continuity of the films.
Jar Jar Binks posted a rumor he had heard about this in another thread.Jump over to the thread about deleted scenes and read it.
Great idea if you ask me.I won't repost it here.I don't want to come across as someone who rides on the coat tails of someone else's research
Here is what I posted in another thread, I will repost it here for convinence. This is the most recent thing I had heard about altering the scene for the DVD Archival editions in 2006.

I also agree, they need to redo the old lady/chimp eyes Emporer hologram for the Archival Editions. Actually there is some talk of doing that. The last I heard was it would shift from the Emporer in hologram in Vader's chamber, to a interior shot on Coruscant of Palpatine speaking to a holographic Darth Vader from his new office. And it was going to show that he has taken over the Jedi temple, and his throne room is the old Jedi council chamber.

I'll expand a little. During filming of E2, and during filming for Episode III, Lucas is going to film new shots for the original films, and maybe a few pick-ups for E1, to tie all 6 episodes together. 1 of them is this one, which will be easy to do, since they are filming Ian McDirmand for E2 and E3 anyway. Another was going to be a shot of planetside on Alderaan in which we see an older Bail Organa (Jimmy Smits) looking up as a shadow covers the planet, just before the Death Star destroys it. There are some others, but I need to dig thru my notes.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
03-13-2002, 01:28 AM
I wouldn't mind those new additions to the Archival Editions. As long as GL gets rid of Greedo firing first and the Jedi Rocks sequence then I'll be happy.

DarthSeattle
03-13-2002, 11:17 AM
Thank you all for the great information and letting me know that there are others who would like to see that change at the very least.

JarJarBinks, thank you for all the other info. I do hope those additional scenes/perspectives are indeed added to the DVD. 2006 seems so far away!

JJB, what are your sources for all this info?

Pendo
03-13-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I'll expand a little. During filming of E2, and during filming for Episode III, Lucas is going to film new shots for the original films, and maybe a few pick-ups for E1, to tie all 6 episodes together. 1 of them is this one, which will be easy to do, since they are filming Ian McDirmand for E2 and E3 anyway. Another was going to be a shot of planetside on Alderaan in which we see an older Bail Organa (Jimmy Smits) looking up as a shadow covers the planet, just before the Death Star destroys it. There are some others, but I need to dig thru my notes.

Has this actually been confirmed or is it just rumor/guess work? I've heard all this before but I've never been sure if it was true.

PENDO!

Beast
03-13-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by DarthSeattle
JarJarBinks, thank you for all the other info. I do hope those additional scenes/perspectives are indeed added to the DVD. 2006 seems so far away! JJB, what are your sources for all this info?
I pretty much hit all the accurate Star Wars information sites almost every day and archive stuff often into document files on my computer. There has been talk about the archival edition DVD's a while, and there has been some rumblings exactly what Lucas has planned. Sadly the info I have about them is from a point when I didn't document what site I found the info on. But, Cinemascape.com is a really good site for deleted scenes information, and where I pop back to for any info on those. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthSeattle
03-13-2002, 12:26 PM
Thanks, JJB!

Jargo
03-13-2002, 03:02 PM
Lucas himself is quoted in some magazine somewhere saying that he's filming sequences to tie the movies together for the DVD archival editions. he doesn't say which scenes but hints at it being stuff for the OT. I too don't recall the magazine but I know I read it. I like the idea of adding in Alderaan scenes but only if they show Alderaan in some detail in episode three. It won't make sense otherwise. But I'm gonna cry if we never get to see Alderaan. :crazed:

The Emperor scene would work better with cuts between Vader looking at a holo Palpy and Palpy looking at a holo Vader. It would blend the sequence better rather than it just looking sandwiched in there. They certainly need to do something about it as Ian is such a star of star wars now it makes that scene look pathetic. And saying it's an aide of Palpatine is just a cop out and doesn't wash with me.

DarthSeattle
03-13-2002, 04:35 PM
Well said, Emperor Jargo!

Darkross
03-20-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by DarthSeattle
Who else would have liked Ian McDiarmid to have been added to the Empire Strikes Back Special Edition? I had hoped that they would replace "monkey eyes" with Ian. I hope they add this to the DVD one day.

Would have been nice to get rid of that OLD LADY that they used for the Emperor. YES I agree...it would have been nice to see Ian McDiarmid in ESB Special Edition. Here's hoping that they'll do it in the DVD release!

JEDIpartner
03-25-2002, 01:55 PM
I could see if the actor died before the series was finished, but that looks so stupid smack in the middle of it all now.

DarthSeattle
03-25-2002, 04:06 PM
I couldn't agree with you more! It's not like when Bela Lugosi died in the middle of his last film.

Rollo Tomassi
03-25-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO


The Emperor scene would work better with cuts between Vader looking at a holo Palpy and Palpy looking at a holo Vader. It would blend the sequence better rather than it just looking sandwiched in there. They certainly need to do something about it as Ian is such a star of star wars now it makes that scene look pathetic. And saying it's an aide of Palpatine is just a cop out and doesn't wash with me.


In Shadows of the Empire, Xizor is in the room on the other end of the conversation. Without explicitly saying so, I think it would be cool to have a Faleen in the background, as an aide for all the film purists, and as Xizor for all the EU junkies. No dialogue, just have him standing in the background.

DarthSeattle
03-25-2002, 05:24 PM
Good point. That would be a great idea. However, I never actually like Xizor being present and therefore privy to this, in my opinon, private communication. I'm a Darth Vader loyalist all the way.

SithDroid
03-25-2002, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Xizor in the background. I think that it would be cool.