PDA

View Full Version : It's College Football Again!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Opening week of the 2013 season has begun! Ohio State has a harder-than-expected time with Buffalo (on a humid day with several players cramping up), still winning by 20.

Youngstown State got a win over the Dayton Flyers on Thursday. :thumbsup:

Pitt plays Monday night (?? :confused: ) against Florida State.

As bad as it is to say it, I have no desire to see the reigning Heisman winner have any success on the football field; I wish Manziel no harm injury-wise, but I hope A&M loses more than they win, and that he is nowhere near the Downtown Athletic Club come December. He is arrogant, and not in a good sports-way, either; he makes poor decisions despite his "youth" and "immaturity." :mad:

sith_killer_99
08-31-2013, 06:35 PM
Buffs play Colorado State tomorrow at Mile High! Go Buffs!

TeeEye7
08-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Go SOONERS!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2013, 10:00 AM
OSU wins easily, but loses QB Miller to what first seemed like a concussion (bad) but was then an MCL issue (badder). YSU piles up the points in a 67-13, 700+ total yards win over Morehead State. While Pitt, after its shellacking [sp?] against FSU, on a bye.

And a bad leg injury to some QB yesterday; thankfully I missed the images of it. :(

sith_killer_99
09-08-2013, 12:01 PM
The Buffs win again, opening the season 2-0 under Mike MacIntyre! I haven't been this hopeful for the Buffs since Rick Neuheisel was at the helm!

Connor Wood passed for 341 yards and delivered his second straight 3-TD game! He had some rough patches but picked himself up and kept playing and it really paid off! ;-)

Snowtrooper
09-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Nebraska wins 56-13. The defense had a much better showing than last week. Next week we get our first real test. UCLA comes to town with a very good run game.

Snowtrooper
09-11-2013, 09:49 PM
I finally got to meet Johnny Rodgers, Nebraska's first Heisman trophy winner back in 72. He was at a local event and I had no idea he was there until my wife pointed him out. If I would've known, I would have brought some of my memorabilia for him to sign. I got my picture taken with him by his Heisman trophy and then later signed. They were having a bit of technical difficulties with the camera, so I actually got to talk a little football with him. Pretty damn cool in my book!

TeeEye7
09-14-2013, 09:36 PM
SOONERS! 20-51 over Tulsa.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Hey, YSU was on TV... getting paid for a beating at Michigan State. :( Pitt beats up on its own easy opponent, +22 on New Mexico. OSU travels to a home game at Cal Berkley (there were more cheers for Buckeye great plays than Bears' ones), and almost scores 60. Texas A&M hangs in but loses to #1 'Bama; Michigan sneaks by another team they should've blown out at home; Texas and Mack Brown may be in trouble; ND comes back to take down Purdue.

The rest of you have your schools to comment on.

Snowtrooper
09-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Nebraska loses to UCLA 41-21. This is one of the worst games in Nebraska history. They played the first half pretty well, leading 21-10 at the half. I thought we might end up blowing them out. But they didn't even show up for the second half. The team looked absolutely lost on both offense and defense. This game might cost Bo his job. On the positive side, Nebraska paid a very nice tribute to the UCLA player who was killed earlier in the week.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Ohio State looked pretty good under the national TV spotlight over the Badgers. Pitt goes out to a fairly-quick 2-TD lead, then gives up just a FG to UVA for a "defensive" win. And Youngstown St. has to rally in the 4th on the road at Southern IL.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Wow, a similar weekend in college gridiron action...
Ohio State looked pretty good under the national TV spotlight over the Wildcats, coming back from an early deficit. Pitt goes out to dinner or a movie or studying for exams or whatever players do on their bye week. And Youngstown St. has to rally in the rain delay on the road at IN State.

Snowtrooper
10-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Nebraska beats Illinois 39-19. The defense really showed up today against a good Illini offense. They only scored a field goal and touchdown(the second came against second and third stringers). Offense looked great. Tommy Armstrong ran it like a champ. Makes me wonder if there will be a QB controversy down the road.

TeeEye7
10-06-2013, 07:19 PM
SOONERS! Now 5-0 in their conference!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-13-2013, 09:12 AM
YSU explodes for 59 points, while Pitt gets one less... tens-place digit with 9 against VA Tech. Ohio State "goes out to dinner or a movie or studying for exams or whatever players do on their bye week."

TeeEye7
10-13-2013, 03:14 PM
...and OU tanks to unranked saxeT.....YIKES!

BUMMER! not BOOMER!

Snowtrooper
10-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Nebraska beats Purdue 44-7. Offense was a little off but got the job done. Defense almost got a shutout but 2nd stringers gave up a late touchdown. We have next week off which we'll need to get some injuries healed.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-22-2013, 11:14 PM
First week of the last year of the BCS; hooray? Ohio State is in the 4th slot, as well as in the polls. YSU is up to #12 in the FCS rankings, with #1 ND St. at home in their 2nd-to-last game.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Little bit of everything: no decision as YSU was on a bye, Pitt loses to Navy on a literal last-second FG with :01 left to play, and OSU thumps PSU in prime time.

I really hope QB Manziel doesn't repeat as Heisman winner. :sourgrapes: :( But his stats are up there, for sure.

Snowtrooper
10-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Nebraska loses to Minnesota, 34-23. We were pretty much outcoached since neither the offense or the defense played worth a darn. Its even more pathetic considering we were outcoached by an assistant. I think we may be looking for a new coach at the end of the year.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-28-2013, 10:19 PM
p.s. Youngstown St. should be on bye more often: they move up 2 spots to #10 in the FCS poll! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Ohio State scored early and often in its shutout of Purdue on the road. Pitt stays relatively close, but still gets beaten up at at Georgia Tech. YSU comes back at the Dakota Dome vs. Univ. of SD in the final minute. And sure, other schools played games, too; or were on bye weeks.

Snowtrooper
11-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Nebraska beats Northwestern 27-24 on a last second hail mary pass. The game started out with the offense playing well and the defense playing terrible. After the first quarter, it was the opposite. While it was a very exciting finish, I don't know if much positive can be taken from this game.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-05-2013, 09:30 PM
YSU moved up to #8 in the poll. They should make a return to the FCS playoffs, I hope. :D

Will any of the BCS top-5 teams lose, which are all in different conferences, IIRC? Can't wait for the hybrid "playoffs" next year.

Snowtrooper
11-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Nebraska beat Michigan 17-13. Even though UM isn't very good this year, it was still a good win. It was Brady Hoke's first loss at home and the first time NU has won at Michigan since 1962.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Sigh... not all good this weekend. Ohio State does win, scoring 60, :) but giving up 35. :( Pitt gives up a late 4th quarter punt return TD against North Carolina, and loses by 7. :( YSU has a big showdown hosting #1 ND State and is close at the half, but the visitors pulled away in the second. :(

FCS has one week left (YSU hosts SD State) before the playoffs, there are two games remaining for OSU (home vs. Indiana & at The Big House, plus perhaps the "BIG 10 or 12 or Maybe 11" title game), and Pitt goes to Syracuse and hosts Miami to end theirs (hoping to be bowl eligible).

That tipped 4th-down catch in the Auburn/MS State game was outrageous! Stanford losing helps the top 10 teams, too.

Snowtrooper
11-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Nebraska loses to Michigan State 41-28. The score isn't indicitive of how well we played. We coughed up the ball 5 times on our side of the field, giving MSU easy points. If we would've stopped shooting ourselves in the foot, I think we played well enough to win this game.

Yeah, the Auburn/MS game had a pretty wild ending.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Some goods: Pitt holds off Syracuse 17-16, OSU wins 42-14 on Senior Day. But YSU might be on the outside of the FCS playoffs after a bad home loss against SD State. :( We'll see. Buckeyes get "that team up north" next week, then MSU in the conference title game. On to the BCS title game? Only if there are some losses in the #1 or #2 spots.

Snowtrooper
11-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Nebraska beats Penn State 23-20 in OT. While its nice to get the win, I wish we would play up to our potential and quit making so many stupid mistakes. Iowa is next week and they looked pretty good against Michigan. Yeah, OSU is going to need some help to get to the title game even if they blow out MSU in the BIG10 championship.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2013, 08:54 AM
So, you don't think the rivalry games Florida/Florida St. or the Iron Bowl will lead to upsets? It does look unlikely. Baylor falling flat last night at another OSU helped The OSU.

Snowtrooper
11-24-2013, 12:26 PM
The iron bowl might be the only place an upset might occur, but I think Alabama is still quite a bit better than Auburn and will win it. Considering that Florida was beaten at home by a DivII team, FSU is going to have no problem with them. OSU is going to thump Michigan pretty badly. I'm not expecting anything shocking next week. Of course, strange things can happen late in the season.:tennis:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Man! Them's was some great games, unless of course you're a Tide, Beavers, or Wolverines fan. If the Buckeyes can take care of business next week vs. Sparty, they should be able to play for a national title... in Pasadena, within 50 miles of home here, and pricey game tickets! :greedy: :D YSU apparently did not make the FCS playoffs, and Pitt couldn't handle Miami (but they still could get a bowl bid). :(

Snowtrooper
12-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Nebraska lost to Iowa 38-17. We quite possibly played our worst game of the year against a team we should've beat. Very frustrating. Auburn beating Alabama was not a huge surprise. Winning it on a returned field goal was. First time I ever saw that. Very surprising that OSU/MU game was that close. After the way we beat up their offense, I thought OSU would have no problem with them. Rivalry weekend was alot more interesting than I thought it was going to be. I think OSU should have no problem with MSU. Our running backs had no problems moving the ball against them and OSU has a really good back in Hyde.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Sigh. :( Buckeyes, you had a great "regular" season. :thumbsup: We'll see where they go for their bowl, but now it's not going to be in Pasadena. I think that FSU will destroy Auburn anyway, or at least score mega points on them.

Snowtrooper
12-08-2013, 01:52 PM
BIG 10 championship was a shock. I was convinced MSU's defense was overrated, especially after we ran the ball so well against them. They proved they were legit. It sounds like OSU will go to the Orange bowl at this point, so thats still really good. I think Nebraska is going to either the Gator bowl, or Buffalo Wild Wings bowl. I hope FSU wins so the SEC people will clam up for a while.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-08-2013, 06:22 PM
BIG 10 championship was a shock. I was convinced MSU's defense was overrated, especially after we ran the ball so well against them. They proved they were legit. It sounds like OSU will go to the Orange bowl at this point, so thats still really good. I think Nebraska is going to either the Gator bowl, or Buffalo Wild Wings bowl. I hope FSU wins so the SEC people will clam up for a while.I knew Michigan St. had a legit D; it was their O that surprised me. :( Buckeyes came out flat (and kept the opening drive alive with some uncharacteristic 3rd-down penalties) and just had too much of a deficit to keep away, even after taking the lead in the 3rd (their D line looked tired by then, and the young DBs forgot the rules of pass defense).

I think Auburn might be a "team of destiny" this year, but I would like the SEC-or-nothing opinions to go away, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Surprise? FSU's Winston wins the Heisman? Nope, that 'Bama's McCarron was second, I think.

Snowtrooper
12-15-2013, 07:21 PM
I would've guessed Manziel, but McCarron had a nice year as well. Nebraska got matched with Georgia in the Gator bowl. Its going to be ugly.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Pitt gets Bowling Green in the Little Caesar's Bowl on 12/26, while OSU nabs a BCS bowl versus Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Free pizza for life for all Pitt fans now! (I wish) But a win in a bowl is news for them recently. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-02-2014, 09:00 AM
It was a good (bad?) day to just sit, without taking a shower or shaving, :eek: and watch and watch and watch games. Pleasantly surprised by UCF's consistency against Baylor, Stanford's offensive shutdown... of itself in the second half versus MSU, LSU getting Outback restaurant fans a free Bloomin' Onion today. Now, I guess I have to return to the job working mindset soon... :( But there are still some bowls left.

Snowtrooper
01-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Nebraska beats Georgia 24-19. It was a good win against a ranked SEC opponent. Granted they had injury issues, but so did we, so it was all the same in the end.

TeeEye7
01-03-2014, 05:34 PM
sooner nation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-04-2014, 12:38 AM
As long as I ignore the final score, that Orange Bowl was a great game to watch. Too many guys were getting hurt on both sides, with some of them gutting it out.

Snowtrooper
01-04-2014, 11:13 AM
I think Meyer said that Braxton Miller had a shoulder injury which caused him to throw that last int. Was hoping OSU would win, but it was still fun to watch.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-04-2014, 02:15 PM
In fact, 2 OSU football teams lost last night. The cameras caught Miller moving and loosening his shoulder throughout the first half, and that personal foul hit that drove him into the turf didn't help. Losing the turnover margin is always a bad deal, too.

Snowtrooper
01-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Well he's coming back, so OSU should have another good team next year. We've got alot of good people coming back as well, so we should be pretty decent next year too, provided we quit shooting ourselves in the foot all the time.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Well he's coming back, so OSU should have another good team next year.Sure, Miller's coming back... but without a throwing shoulder, and a clipboard instead of a ball to hold. :( Still, the Buckeyes were down early but came back to defeat our entire naval military. Pitt Panthers scored often against... Delaware. But Youngstown State was leading in the second half on the road at Illinois before giving up 4th quarter TDs.

The 2014 season is underway!