PDA

View Full Version : Power Play! NHL 13-14

Bel-Cam Jos
10-12-2013, 09:20 AM
No thread yet? And it's already 5 games or so in? 2:00 for delay of game... commenting.

Pens with Fleury in net? 3-0. Without last year's yank-him-from-the-playoffs netminder? 0-1. And Crosby's hardly produced yet.
A 4-goal rookie outburst?
A rookie coach outburst and $10K fine?

It's on!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-14-2013, 11:35 PM
I joined a fantasy hockey last year in the strike-shortened season, and after two weeks my 2-0 record this year has already DOUBLED last year's win total for the Wampa Rats. :eek: Currently ranked the #2 team of 20 in the league. :D Thanks, 4-0 M-A Fleury, and several other current and former Penguins! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-02-2013, 09:46 AM
And... hockey is STILL being played. Several teams are doing well, some are doing poorly, while others are somewhere in the middle. Cup playoffs are a LOOOOOONG time away.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-11-2013, 09:18 AM
If one could award a Stanley Cup in November, than one could award it to either California team that have an aquatic animal as their mascot. Both look deadly, but things can change from now until June.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Penguins leading their division (still not used to the new names yet) and Crosby's tops in points, my fantasy team's climbed back to .500 (6-6), Fleury's still the starter in Pittsburgh. All good (except the health of Pens D-men).

Bel-Cam Jos
01-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Watching the Winter Classic in Ann Arbor, MI was enjoyable. They mentioned that the temperature ROSE to 14 at one point; it looked cold (might be the coldest WC game the NHL's had), and I don't believe it ever stopped snowing. I liked the kids in USA Olympic players' jerseys at the end.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-08-2014, 02:45 PM
After today's games, it's the break for the Winter Olympics. Weird how the NHL plays so close to the event; I expected them to have more than a day or so to travel, get settled, and then prepare. [edit] Quick online check: men's hockey begins Wed. of next week, so that's about three days of preparation; plenty, right?

Bel-Cam Jos
02-25-2014, 08:25 PM
NHL is back with one game tonight.

The last regular-season week of my fantasy hockey league; the Wampa Rats are in 15th place right now, where 14 make the playoffs (it's a big 22 team one).

Bel-Cam Jos
03-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Two "outdoor" games this weekend: one in snow with the Blackbears beating the Steelguins easily (but Fleury's helmet was awesome; gold pads, maybe not so much), the other in a closed football stadium between two Canadian teams.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-09-2014, 09:21 AM
The Bs are sneaking up on the Pens for best record in the East; confusing. :confused: I think it's because of the following newspaper preview: :venivecifleury:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
03-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Couple of notes about this season:

Detroit may not make the playoffs, after 22 straight years of doing so. Weird that it happens in the first year in the Eastern Conference, a conference with not as many powerhouses as the West.

Colorado is a great young up-and-coming team that might win sooner rather than later, despite their youth. Patrick Roy has been doing a fascinating job.

Pittsburgh and Boston will meet in the Eastern Conference Finals, unless they don't meet before then. Book it.

Good to see Ryan Miller play for a decent team in St. Louis after having to put up with crap in Buffalo for so many years.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Pittsburgh and Boston will meet in the Eastern Conference Finals, unless they don't meet before then. Book it.Well, they're the two who clinched playoff spots first, although the Pens are limping (some of them literally) into the post season with an injured squad. Today the tangle with the 'Hawks at home, on TV (if the NBC Sports Network doesn't black it out again, saying "You Don't Subscribe To This Channel" :mad: ).

Bel-Cam Jos
04-04-2014, 09:06 PM
The remaining playoff slots are going fast: new format has top three in each of the new divisions, plus two others per conference. Metro is the Penguins' now, so therefore the worst they can finish is in 2nd in the East. Out West, you might need 100 points just to get in.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Pittsburgh lets in a late goal that forced OT and then SO versus the Red Wings, which the Pens won on some terrific saves by Fleury. Both teams might open the playoffs next week.

DarthQuack
04-14-2014, 02:08 PM
Rangers/Flyers should be a good 6-7 game series. Hoping King Henrik can carry us through to the next round.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Stanley Cup is underway: Penguins come up big late versus the Columbus Cobalt Coats. And a nice 3OT game I didn't stay up to see the end (STL apparently won).

Bel-Cam Jos
04-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Wow, is this the playoffs, or play more (that's 5 games going to OT so far, with two in extra OTs)? Congrats on your first-ever post-season win, Columbus.

DarthQuack
04-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Great post season so far!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-26-2014, 10:49 PM
While I don't want it to happen, the Boston Bs can play this entire post season against only Original Six teams, if they meet the Rangers in the conf. finals, and Blackhawks in the Cup Final. But with their win today, here's hoping the Pens can close out the Jackets in the OH capital on Monday, to further their own Cup run. :thumbsup: I also didn't realize it until the announcers mentioned it: the first four games in the Pitt/Columbus series were all the same score of 4-3.

DarthQuack
04-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Hoping the Rangers win today, pivotal game 5 at stake!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-28-2014, 08:49 PM
But with their win today, here's hoping the Pens can close out the Jackets in the OH capital on Monday, to further their own Cup run. :thumbsup: I also didn't realize it until the announcers mentioned it: the first four games in the Pitt/Columbus series were all the same score of 4-3.Guess they wanted yet another game to end 4-3. :3period3goals: My playoff beard is growing.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-01-2014, 08:34 AM
I think the matchup between NYR & Pitt is better for the Penguins than Philly would've been. Wow: not only the desired Kings/Ducks local playoff series, but LA came back from a 3-0 deficit to SJ for the rare feat. Even the Wild won a road game 7.

DarthQuack
05-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Rangers take Game 1! ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
05-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Hey, the Pens still get a point for the OTL, right? ;) :( You can't get to a 7th-game for the series without three losses; Penguins are just doing their part to build some drama. I hope.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Penguins shut out the Rangers, to even the series at 1-1. Tomorrow's game 3, for a short turnaround.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Chance to close out the Rangers at home... turns into a 5-1 laugher the other way around. :sad: Well, just win it in 6 then, Pens.

DarthQuack
05-11-2014, 10:54 PM
Chance to close out the Rangers at home... turns into a 5-1 laugher the other way around. :sad: Well, just lose it in 7 then, Pens.

Fixed! ;)

Glad to see the Rangers forced Game 7 and got the win for Marty St. Louis on Mother's Day since his Mom passed away earlier this week. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
05-13-2014, 10:43 PM
I am embarrassed. :cry: Found out the Penguins have an all-time home record of 2-7 in series Game 7s. :( I am now rooting for the Bruins to do what I posted here earlier and beat four of the Original Six teams for another Cup.

DarthQuack
05-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Rangers win!!! I'm so happy Montreal won as well, since they're both my 1 and 2 teams. :)

Obviously pulling for the Blueshirts to win, but if by some chance they don't I'll have a rooting interest in the Habs!

Another game 7 tonight...I guess wouldn't mind seeing Anaheim win since LA was more recently in the Cup finals.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-28-2014, 10:18 PM
Californians have been lucky this year with their teams, even though two of them bit the dust by the end of the semis. An Anaheim - LA and LA - SJ matchup were a dream come true for fans. Hopefully that sparks an interest in the coolest game on ice.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Now I am rooting for a curved-stick payback series: LA vs. Montreal. The Kings just need one more win (after tonight's 2OT loss) to set up half of that; Canadiens will need two straight to complete the other.

JediTricks
05-29-2014, 01:22 AM
Tonight's game was such a downer, the big comeback in the 2nd period just faded into playing a weak offense for a strong defense. I know the Kings had less to lose and more to protect, but it still seemed like they never really got cohesive unless they were on their own side of the ice, and eventually they gave the Blackhawks enough time to find an opening. Hopefully Friday's game will finish the series out though.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Hopefully Friday's game will finish the series out though.Well, they have won some Game 7s on the road before... will need to do just that to advance.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Well, they have won some Game 7s on the road before... will need to do just that to advance.So, three straight 7-game series, winning each on the road. Will they return the favor to the loyal Kings fans and win Game 7 at home? That would be 28 playoff games, including 12 playoff losses (the most by a Cup champ, I believe); wow. Hope the SoCal ice will hold up in June weather.

JediTricks
06-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Oh, the ice at the Staples Center is always cold and bright. Now if they can avoid any more "on their heels" performances the way they had against the Blackhawks in the last 2 games, the Rangers should be done for quickly -- LA was I think outskated and outcoached in that last game especially, yet they got it right just enough to win in OT, and I don't think the Rangers are the team that Chicago was. Still, the Rangers have enjoyed a lot more rest time than LA, so that may factor in.

I've got the chips, dip, sodas, fruits, and TV all ready to go tomorrow.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-08-2014, 08:36 AM
Wow; like The Dan Patrick Show's "Stat of the Day" feature: LA Kings have not led for a single second of this series so far, yet have a 2-0 lead in wins. Amazing.

Oh, and the Penguins apparently felt their most successful coach (all-time playoff wins, 2nd in regular season, one Cup), Dan Bylsma, was no longer needed, but a new GM was.

JediTricks
06-08-2014, 01:54 PM
I think maybe the Kings need a whole practice warm-up game before the actual game, coming alive in the 3rd period is agony for the audience and risky to leave it to sudden death OT.

But the worst has to be when they picked up their 2nd goal and Jonathan Quick tried to help out with the puck behind the net after a face off only to have the goal untended when the Rangers flew in and picked it off a mere 12 seconds later to make it 2-4, every time Quick went after a puck outside of the goal afterwards I was yelling at the tv.

And then they got hungry and started dominating... until it tied, then it was back to dropping simple passes and giving up monumentally-frustrating turnovers -- it's like they're the Washington Generals 90% of these last 5 games.

If the Kings weren't tired before, going into NY in just 2 days oughta do it. I have a feeling when they're tired early, it's going to get super physical on the ice and NY won't be walking straight afterwards.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-09-2014, 09:39 PM
I think maybe the Kings need a whole practice warm-up game before the actual game, coming alive in the 3rd period is agony for the audience and risky to leave it to sudden death OT.

But the worst has to be when they picked up their 2nd goal and Jonathan Quick tried to help out with the puck behind the net after a face off only to have the goal untended when the Rangers flew in and picked it off a mere 12 seconds later to make it 2-4, every time Quick went after a puck outside of the goal afterwards I was yelling at the tv.

And then they got hungry and started dominating... until it tied, then it was back to dropping simple passes and giving up monumentally-frustrating turnovers -- it's like they're the Washington Generals 90% of these last 5 games.

If the Kings weren't tired before, going into NY in just 2 days oughta do it. I have a feeling when they're tired early, it's going to get super physical on the ice and NY won't be walking straight afterwards.

When they are going, LA looks like the best team in the league, certainly the most complete. It is scary how they haven't played their best at times in the series, especially early on in Games 1 and 2, but still managed to win. The sign of a great team.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-11-2014, 11:10 PM
If the Kings do win in game 5 at home, LA, please don't riot. Please.

JediTricks
06-13-2014, 01:23 AM
Game 4 for the Kings was back to the sloppy, half-assed play seen in the first games of this series and the end of the previous series, but I swear Lundqvist is shaving snow into his goals to keep all those pucks from crossing that line. :p Honestly, that NY win felt like the Kings were just saving their energy for the home game. As for riots, who riots over Ice Hockey?!?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Honestly, that NY win felt like the Kings were just saving their energy for the home game. As for riots, who riots over Ice Hockey?!?I know they said they weren't looking to win on home ice, but I agree that the eye test said a tad differently.

Hockey riots? How about Detroit, Vancouver, Boston? Nashville? :p :rolleyes: And there were Lakers riots, once or twice.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2014, 12:05 AM
And they Went Kings Went... and won another Cup.

JediTricks
06-14-2014, 01:33 PM
KINGS WIN! KINGS WIN! KINGS WIN! Martinez's celebration was perfect since he had gotten the OT goal in the previous series, so long as you can forgive jazz-hands (Lundqvist's face-down defeat pose was so dramatic that it pretty much made jazz-hands forgivable). Let's riot! I'll be on the couch, rioting from home. ;)

Hockey riots? How about Detroit, Vancouver, Boston? Nashville? :p :rolleyes: And there were Lakers riots, once or twice.This is LA, this is hockey, there's not a lot of riot potential, especially after the last time when the LAPD underestimated response and let it get a little out of hand.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-18-2014, 09:20 PM
L.A.'s journey to the Cup may have been the most difficult, improbable, in NHL playoff history, considering what happened in the first round, and against the Cup Champs later in the conference Finals.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2014, 10:13 AM
L.A.'s journey to the Cup may have been the most difficult, improbable, in NHL playoff history, considering what happened in the first round, and against the Cup Champs later in the conference Finals.Some radio people have said that, but for SPORTS playoff history, considering: three straight 7-game series, with each Game 7 win on the road; all those 2-goal deficits the Kings overcame; number of OT wins; obviously the historic 0-3 comeback; quality of their Western Conference opponents (with each earning at least 107 points on the season). It was fun to watch... once rooting for the Penguins was over for me. :(

JediTricks
06-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Yeah, that was an insanely challenging post-season, but I wonder how much of it was internal rather than external factors, the Kings finding their legs, ebbing and flowing from game to game, only to get that rhythm at the end each time. I'm glad the finals didn't go to game 7 though, that was rough when they didn't take game 4.

So on Monday, my girlfriend and I went downtown via the Expo line light rail to the middle of the parade route, found an open spot on the barricades, bought a genuine Kings cap for me and a knock-off banner for her from wandering unlicensed vendors, and caught the parade. It was great to see the players and coaches, they looked really happy, and Sutter looked pretty boss in the official locker room T-shirt, but the best part was the flatbed in the middle carrying the Stanley Cup, that was great to see it hoisted up all close like that.

Afterwards, we went to Philippe the Original (also by light rail) and then went home and watched the parade coverage and rally on DVR - the highlights there were the mayor's F-bomb raising a drink, and Darryl Sutter's comments to NBC4's Mario "we're live on NBC4" Solis where the coach spoke for SEVERAL MINUTES STRAIGHT and used MULTISYLLABIC WORDS and had actual EMPHASIS! That was easily the best thing ever, even Fred Roggin immediately after commented on that historic nature.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-20-2014, 11:01 PM
If one could award a Stanley Cup in November, than one could award it to either California team that have an aquatic animal as their mascot. Both look deadly, but things can change from now until June.

Right state, wrong team:teapot:

Maradona
06-21-2014, 08:23 PM
I sure did pick a terrible time to travel out of the city, missing the Kings historic triumph and Kershaw's no hitter.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Uh, anyone else had NO IDEA the hockey draft was today, Friday June 27th?

<---- :thisguy: :confused:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Why start a new thread? Just steal an old one, then shoot and score! :redlampandlitthenhorngoesoff:

Penguins are part of a 10-goal opening night game... and win! I would LOVE them to win every game 6-4; scoring 492 goals in an 82-0-0 season? Who wouldn't? :rolleyes: Interesting to see how Pittsburgh does in '14-'15, with much of last year's organIzation gone elsewhere.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Penguins lose with two 3rd-period goals... and the game-winner with THREE SECONDS LEFT?!? :mad: Then, they come back and take a 3-1 victory vs. the Islanders.