PDA

View Full Version : Arena Battle Droid

pthfnder89
03-13-2002, 10:37 AM
Ok, so I finally opened my Battle Droid, because he looked pretty damn cool on that card, and I wanted to know if I should buy lots of them on April 23 (correct date? I forget)

The answer is NO. Heres a rundown since I know several of you probably want to buy an army of them like I did for the Arena fight scene:

-The electricity is fine. I personally like these, but if you don't like the idea in general, then you won't care for those pack-ins.

-The blaster effect I think is pretty cool, because not only does it go on his blaster, but you can take it off and put it on a peg in his chest, so it looks like he's getting hit. The peg is pretty small so it doesn't look too out of place if the blaster effect isn't on it.

Now for why this figure is so poor:

-The first thing I noticed is his knees don't move! This is a BIG step back I think, because every battle droid released so far has had joints at the elbows and knees. But the legs are posed nicely and not too dramatically, so I thought I would let it slide.

-BIG problem here; his blaster is so soft that it's difficult to place it in his hands and get it to stay there. There is NO rigidity to this thing at all. It just falls out.:frus:

-The problem that makes thie figure not worth buying has to do with his head. I loved the POTJ Security Battle droid. It's my favorite one of all, and the only problem I have ever had with them is that the heads fall off kind of easily.

Well those POTJ heads are glued on compared to this AOTC droid. It has the same ball joint neck as the ones from POTJ, but it's just built WRONG! The hole is way to big for the ball on the neck and so the head literally just sits on the body. If it is moved at all, the head just falls off.

This is really inexcusable because HAsbro obviously knew about this problem when they started producing them. How do I know that? Because they have one of those rubber bands wrapped around the head to keep it on. It only falls off once you take off the rubber band.

Now, I'll admit that if you want to keep that on, then the head will stay on fine, but of course you won't really be able to move the neck at all. I was really upset at how shoddy that is, and they should have done something to fix this.

Bottom line, this Battle Droid isn't anywhere near the quality of the Security Battle Droid, and isn't even near the quality of most Hasbro figures. If you just want to put up a big diorama and not touch them, then you might want these. But don't think about moving them at all.

JEDIpartner
03-13-2002, 11:43 AM
These are the sorts of things I was anticipating with this line. All flash and no substance!

Lord Tenebrous
03-13-2002, 12:17 PM
his blaster is so soft that it's difficult to place it in his hands and get it to stay there.

What? The card back distinctly says, "Figure can hold weapon in its hand". Wait, it doesn't say 'well'. Way to cover your butts, Hasbro :mad:

I'm really tempted to just collect Lego for the first few months, then jump back into the 4" line once this junk is sent to its final resting place. This is like, an entire line of POTF2 R5-D4. :eek:

Jargo
03-13-2002, 12:36 PM
I'm tempted to say something harsh here but after the blasting I got in the Dexter Jettster thread maybe I should just go cut my wrists in anticipation of a roasting? stuff it I'll speak anyway...

This does not surprise me one bit. I have a feeling that most of these figures are going to be softee plastic and have bits fall off. I think because we're collectors Hasbro are dictating that we leave everything carded so we don't notice. Because of course grown ups don't play with toys - do they? :rolleyes: So it's down to kids getting excited at the prospect of playing with a new droid figure and ..... oh. The head fell off...... he won't hold the gun........ he doesn't stand on his own because his legs are all wobbly and soft as jelly....... and oh look the arms just ripped off as I turned them...... but the blue electro flash stuff is sturdy enough. Hell, that stuff will last long after the termites are dead and buried...!!!

Dryanta
03-13-2002, 01:25 PM
I'd really like to think maybe the figure is an oddity.But the elastic really blows that warm and fuzzy idea out of the water.
Just like everything else Prices=up,quality=Down.
If there is an asumption on Hasbro's part that we as collectors wouldn't know the difference because we never open then that is a major mistake on two levels.
One we do know better,and two why in the world would kids continue to want figures that fall apart in their hands.
This would not be the first figure I'd apply little glue to,but if I buy toys for my kids that are junk I'll never buy that brand again.
I know it's a huge double standard but that's the way I am.
Hasbro really should see the light here on this(and other subjects) and understand that if we the collector turn our back they may not have the kid market to fall back on.
I hope I was able to get my point across in a way that makes sense.This topic really get under my skin.
If it's money and corner cutting,drop the electro spark thing and spend the money on the figure itself.Btw I don't mind the spark thing but I want better figures than what's been decribed above

Lord Tenebrous
03-13-2002, 01:59 PM
It's too late because of the preview figure leaks, but if a few of us would push a Web-wide Hasbro boycott from April 16-May 31, we could show our discontent for their products. If we keep buying, we'll continue to get this type of crud.

No Midnight Madness. No mad dashes to retail stores. No online ordering. No collector involvement for more than a month. They'll still be on the pegs when we get back. But we should, at least, send a cautionary message to Hasbro - we're well-wired, and we can protest in union!

Who's with me?

Jargo
03-13-2002, 02:13 PM
Count me in. I weakened on the preview only because I really really wanted an R3 droid - sorry. But I'm prepared to boycott all product for a month. Sadly most of the people who say they won't buy weaken in the presense of a store full of toys. And as the best of the figures aren't in the first waves anyway, I'll sit out the first release dates. I'll spend my money on something else like books and music. Maybe go see a movie or two. Buy some summer clothes. I'd rather spend money on dog doodoo than bad quality toys.

JEDIpartner
03-13-2002, 02:46 PM
And it was sturdier than the new figures as of late!!! Sad. Sad. Sad...

Well... I know I won't be running out to the stores!!! For what it's worth.

pthfnder89
03-13-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I'm tempted to say something harsh here but after the blasting I got in the Dexter Jettster thread maybe I should just go cut my wrists in anticipation of a roasting? stuff it I'll speak anyway...

Nope, you won't get any rebutal posts from me this time Jargo.

I'm always posting, standing up for Hasbro, and telling people not to be so harsh and to what until they actually see a figure to judge it. But guess what? I own it, I've seen it, and it SUCKS. I'm not gonna condemn the AOTC line in its entirety or anything, but this is a very poorly made figure and most of the problems it has (superfloppy gun, bad plastic) any problems that several other figures have.:frus:

A temporary boycott wouldn't be such a bad idea...

LTBasker
03-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Well, let me at least rationalize a little. :p

The band on the head could be explained to keep it from falling off in the package like so many Battle Droids have had happen.

As for the rest of the figure, well it could be the cause of it being a very early figure and it could be you just got a bad version or something.

I'm gonna wait till more reviews come in cause I haven't heard anyone else complain of this stuff.

pthfnder89
03-13-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
The band on the head could be explained to keep it from falling off in the package like so many Battle Droids have had happen.

As for the rest of the figure, well it could be the cause of it being a very early figure and it could be you just got a bad version or something.

I'm gonna wait till more reviews come in cause I haven't heard anyone else complain of this stuff.

These are all possible LTB. And like I said, I definitely won't just criticize the entire line because of one bad figure.

The thing is, some of these problems are shared by many of the other figures from the Preview figs, to the other AOTC figs I've seen and so on. So I'm just worried that this isn't an isolated case.

Dryanta
03-13-2002, 03:20 PM
The call for a boycott is really pulling strongly on me.
I am one of the ones that (is,was?) planning on buying everything I could find from Hasbro in between April 23 and May 16.
I have to tell you I don't want to get over run by emotion and say I will and then fail later.A lie is a lie to me.
I too do not want to see my hooby go any further down than it already has because of what I consider a type of addiction.I'm reffering to myself as addicted not anyone else per se.
I need to stew over this before I commit to it.I know what I should do just honestly don't know if I would.
Sorry if this sounds like a cop out,but I am nothing if my word isn't worth spit

Battle Droid
03-14-2002, 12:36 AM
I wonder how the Deluxe Battle Droid with Windu, and the Battle Droid with Arena Accessory set will be?

DarthRune
03-14-2002, 01:04 AM
the head is SUPOSE to come off to depict loosing its head from blaster fire or lightsaber...the rubber band around it was so the head didnt fall off durring shipping and everyone think the figure was broke....they should have mentioned it on the card...but like the shirtless/probe droid darth muals breakapart lightsaber...its a suprise when you open it.

pthfnder89
03-14-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by DarthRune
the head is SUPOSE to come off to depict loosing its head from blaster fire or lightsaber...the rubber band around it was so the head didnt fall off durring shipping and everyone think the figure was broke....they should have mentioned it on the card...but like the shirtless/probe droid darth muals breakapart lightsaber...its a suprise when you open it.

I don't think it is intentional DarthRune. The previous Battle droids have all had heads that were easy to take off if you wanted, but would mostly stay in place if you put them on the body.

There isn't any reason for them to give the droid a head that is never supposed to be put on the body.