PDA

View Full Version : QUESTIONS FOR HASBRO at Conventions 2014

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-13-2014, 04:02 PM
As always, Hasbro will be at conventions and events this year, and at some of them we're hoping to get one-on-one interview time. We interviewed Derryl DePriest and Jeff Labovitz at Toy Fair in February (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/02/15/sirstevesguides-hasbro-interview-from-toy-fair-2014/), and then we spoke to Bill Rawley (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/07/26/sdcc-2014-interview-with-hasbro-star-wars-product-design-manager-bill-rawley/) and Jeff Labovitz (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/07/30/sdcc-2014-hasbro-qa-with-global-marketing-manager-jeff-labovitz/) at San Diego Comic Con in July, and finally we talked with Joe Ninivaggi (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/10/10/nycc-2014-hasbro-star-wars-qa-with-joe-ninivaggi/) at New York Comic Con in October. It's not guaranteed that we'll get any interview time, so unused questions will be saved for future events.

Voting is not needed as the questions will be chosen on an editorial basis, but feel free to voice support or suggest changes to existing questions.

Also, please keep in mind that we'll be asking these in person, so keep questions respectful and reasonable.

Go ahead and voice support for these questions, and suggest your own:

The Toys R Us exclusive Reveal the Rebels set includes a holographic Obi-Wan figure that's hidden from the front of the package. It seems like this was to play off the secret of Kanan and Ezra being Jedi, but might we see more of this in the future?
Apart from A New Hope, every new Star Wars movie premiere and media launch has been preceded several weeks by the release of new action figures and other toys. With Rebels, the show premiered this weekend and yet only a few Hasbro products have been found, like role-play weapons and some Command packs, with some of the vehicles and holographic Obi-Wan set popping up at Toys R Us. Why haven't the basic figures shown up yet? Was it an intentional choice to build up demand? Are the previous Saga Legends and Mission Series figures preventing the new stuff from getting out there? Was the production of the show too fast to catch up with figures?
The Black Series 3 3/4" Episode III Darth Vader is an absolutely gorgeous figure, but his head loves to pop off constantly. Will this be altered when he's repacked onto the new black-and-blue TIE Pilot card?
Also, there are notches in Vader's shoulder armor that make it seem like you explored alternate ways to connect his cape before going with the peg under the helmet, is that the case?
You released a Yavin Ceremony Han in 2011, but he didn't have the formal buttoned-up shirt or the long sleeves as seen in that sequence. Now that The Black Series 3 3/4" has updated Yavin Ceremony Luke, Leia, and even Chewie, can a more accurate Han be far behind?
Since most Clone Trooper figures have removable helmets, it was surprising to see that the upcoming 3 3/4" figures and the 6" figure do not. What was the reason behind this choice?
There's a 6" Clone Trooper Sergeant on the way. Will we be seeing the Clone Trooper figure with alternate helmets too, like the Episode II pilot or the Episode III helmet?
The 6" Stormtrooper has the back peg hole for the Sandtrooper's pack. Might we see more accessories to utilize this, such as the Spacetrooper with the back oxygen pack from the Death Star?
The 6" Anakin includes an alternate grimacing Sith head that, for some reason, seems to sit higher on the neck than the regular Jedi head. Was that intentional? If he's repacked, will it be altered?
The 6" Han Solo in Hoth gear includes the blue coat. Will we be seeing a brown coat version as well?
The Biker Scout figures in both scales of The Black Series have aggressively tight packaging around their visors, which in many cases leads to the plastic being warped out of shape. Why was this choice made? Is there any way that this warping can be avoided in the future?
The new 6" wave consists of Yoda, the Clone Trooper Sergeant, and the TIE Fighter Pilot. The carry-forward is Obi-Wan Kenobi, who has unfortunately been a slow seller, similar to most of the non-armored humans. Why was this figure chosen? Is there any chance he will be replaced in the wave by a more popular repack?
Going back to The Black Series' first wave – some fans feel that the 6" R2-D2 is under scaled. Did the mold experience some shrinking or do you feel that he's the correct size?
Will we be seeing the 6" R2-D2 sculpt repainted as other astromech droids, or are the features too specific to the character?
Originally, the 6" Chewbacca was going to be released in the orange-and-black box as figure #13 before it was moved to the redesigned blue-and-black box. Some Anakin and Clone Trooper figures from the same wave accidentally made it out in the #13 Chewbacca box, indicating that the production on this was at least somewhat far along. Do you know if any Chewies actually made it out in this box? If so, were any pulled from the cases, or did the switch happen earlier?
The Vintage Collection ran as the basic figure packaging from 2010 to 2012 and had a handful of exclusive vehicles and sets in 2013. We know it's not likely to return as the basic figure packaging any time soon, but will we be seeing anything in this line look in the near future?
Kmart has had great collector-focused exclusives for the last few years, but hasn't had any exclusives at all lately. Will they be added back to the exclusives program soon?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Some of them are a little on the negative side, particularly #4 and #5, but these issues are so aggravating that they need to be addressed. I'm open to ideas on how to approach them in a lighter tone – any hep here would be hot.

sebillba
01-14-2014, 03:35 AM
Thanks for not forgetting about the second Utai - I totally support #2. :)

Darth Metalmute
01-14-2014, 03:45 PM
I love the way you phrased questions 4 and 5. Great job. Those are the biggest questions I have as only two stores ( A Toys R Us and a Target) nearby my home are carrying the Black Series and are peg-warming all of wave 1.

Personally, I feel they should drop the multiple lines and focus on one.

El Chuxter
01-14-2014, 03:47 PM
So, you all took 2013 off, right? :)

Darth Metalmute
01-14-2014, 09:40 PM
So, you all took 2013 off, right? :)

2013, 2012, 2011 and soon to be 2014... :)

Seriously, since 2011, I have seen two waves in the wild. The Phantom Menace Vintage and the First Black Series.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-20-2014, 03:03 PM
I added a question about removing pegwarmers.

As to question 4, should I ask separate questions about some of the things mentioned there? Question 5 deals with the "characters we've seen multiple times," but maybe Target's DPCI issues warrant their own attention.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-23-2014, 02:35 PM
I modified question 6, since we've now seen visual confirmation that the 41st Elite Clone (http://www.forum.starwars-figuren.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=716) is getting a change, and it's still wrong.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Hasbro answered most of these questions at Toy Fair (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/02/15/sirstevesguides-hasbro-interview-from-toy-fair-2014/), so what else do you want to know? San Diego Comic-Con is two months away and we'll have a presence there once again.

JediTricks
05-23-2014, 06:30 PM
6" Darth Maul shipped in the first wave with very loose joints and a very gummy, easily-warped lightsaber accessory. What are the chances of this being rectified in a future release? What about Boba Fett's hip boxes which make his legs almost unposeable, might you address that in a future release?

bigbarada
05-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Judging by the most recent offerings in the 6", Saga Legends, and premium 3.75" line, it's obvious that you guys have just completely shut down your quality control department. So, what was the reasoning behind that exactly? Saving a buck or two while charging record high prices for a sub par product? Do you plan to reinstitute some level of quality control in the future or should we just accept the fact that Hasbro's days of producing high-quality merchandise is a thing of the past?

JediTricks
05-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Judging by the most recent offerings in the 6", Saga Legends, and premium 3.75" line, it's obvious that you guys have just completely shut down your quality control department. So, what was the reasoning behind that exactly? Saving a buck or two while charging record high prices for a sub par product? Do you plan to reinstitute some level of quality control in the future or should we just accept the fact that Hasbro's days of producing high-quality merchandise is a thing of the past?We have to ask these in person, so would you really feel comfortable saying that to someone's face, someone who worked 18 months on each product that they hoped we'd enjoy, watching their joy at the infinite promise of any potential question turn into a stinging criticism of their failings wash over their faces as you continued to press your point?

bigbarada
05-24-2014, 02:34 PM
We have to ask these in person, so would you really feel comfortable saying that to someone's face, someone who worked 18 months on each product that they hoped we'd enjoy, watching their joy at the infinite promise of any potential question turn into a stinging criticism of their failings wash over their faces as you continued to press your point?

Heck no! That's why I want you to ask it. :p

Seriously, I'm just venting some frustrations here. This is a hobby that I used to care about a great deal and wouldn't mind caring about again. Unfortunately, Hasbro's recent QC issues are making that nearly impossible.

JediTricks
05-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Heck no! That's why I want you to ask it. :p

Seriously, I'm just venting some frustrations here. This is a hobby that I used to care about a great deal and wouldn't mind caring about again. Unfortunately, Hasbro's recent QC issues are making that nearly impossible.I understand, but was hoping you'd use that to make a usable question, better to have something constructive come from it. Believe me, I'm there, nearly every 6" figure I've gotten has had to go back, only Leia and Han, and Leia I was able to select from several to find one with normal-painted eyes, so the only figure I got right on the first try without effort was Han. But what would you want to say constructively?

Honestly, the 6" line seems to be the only line Hasbro can make me care about anymore, the 3.75" line at $10 has not gotten one iota of interest from me unfortunately, so QC is far from my biggest problem there.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-28-2014, 02:14 PM
I've updated the first post with JT's question and a few of my own.

BigB, what QC issues would you like us to address? The paint has been pretty poor across the board lately, but what else specifically?

So, here are the previous questions, for posterity's sake:

- A few figures from the cancelled Legacy Collection/Droid Factory revival have yet to make it out - A-wing Pilot, realistic phase I Captain Rex, Jabba’s droid R5-X2, and Mace’s droid R8-B7. Will we still see these released somehow, perhaps either as part of another multi-pack or individually?
- We finally got the second Imperial Scanning Crew member in the Kmart sets – any updates on the second Utai?
- Many figures across the new lines have been falling right off the cardbacks, especially in the 3 3/4” Black Series, making it impossible for carded collectors and frustrating for everyone else. What was causing this issue, and has it been fixed going forward?
- At the launch of the 6” Black Series line last year, you stated that the future of both 6” and 3 3/4” was dependent on the level of fan interest. At the same time, the 3 3/4” Black Series line faced a number of issues right out of the gate – commonplace distribution issues; characters that collectors have seen multiple times; Target placing Black Series under Vintage Collection’s DPCI; many Walmart locations refusing to carry anything but role-play lightsabers; online stores selling out of the hotter items very quickly. And all this is coming off the back of 2012, another very difficult year in Star Wars collecting. Collectors still want to buy new and interesting figures, but all of these issues are actively preventing that from happening. So when you gauge fan interest and decide the future of the line, do you look only at the hard data, or are these issues and roadblocks taken into account?
- Obviously you can’t predict the future, but you’ve stated that figures would be released in more sensible quantities going forward. Now, figures like Episode II Anakin, Biggs, and the Biker Scout are packed two to a case and carried forward, all of them are figures that have been available in recent memory, and none of them seem to be moving very well, stopping subsequent waves from arriving. This has happened over and over again – what will have to change to ensure that this is the last time?
- The 41st Elite Corps Clone Trooper is getting a running change to replace its missing paint applications on the shoulders and lower legs. It's better, but still not correct – the hands, midsection, and belt are all still missing their gray paint. Will these issues be addressed going forward?
- In the 6” line, collectors have noted that R2-D2 seems to be of a smaller scale compared to the other figures. Was this an intentional choice, or did he come out smaller than expected?
- The 6" R2-D2 includes an action feature – turn his head, and his middle leg pops out. Knowing that this is a collector-focused line and collectors typically don't care for action features like this, why was this choice made, and will we be seeing features like these on future figures?
- 6" Boba Fett is still an incredibly hot seller even after first debuting at Comic Con. Will he be repacked in future cases? Why was Han chosen as a wave three carry-forward instead of him?
- We’ve seen the Inquisitor from Star Wars Rebels as a Saga Legends-style figure. Will we see any Rebels figures in Black Series style as well – either 3 3/4” or 6”?
- So far the $20 Class II line has only consisted of resculpts of existing vehicles, but will we see any never-before-made ships there as well?
- Many stores still have pegwarmers from this time two years ago – Walmarts have the Discover the Force 3D repacks, and everyone has the Vintage Collection Episode I wave. Are there any plans to remove these figures from shelves?

And these were answered in our interview at Toy Fair (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/02/15/sirstevesguides-hasbro-interview-from-toy-fair-2014/). The question about 6" R2-D2's scale was either never asked or redirected toward another team member that I forgot to ask, so if it still needs to be addressed, I'll add it again.

El Chuxter
05-28-2014, 06:46 PM
Not really SW, but can someone who's going to Comic-Con ask a few questions of Hasbro?

1) Circuit Breaker has been, to put it mildly, problematic from a rights perspective, being a Transformers character who debuted in Secret Wars but was otherwise never seen outside the original Transformers comic. A character in a similar situation, Death's Head, is being released this year in the Avengers line, giving some hope, but he's appeared in far more comics, and more recently. Might there be some chance of doing Circuit Breaker as a convention exclusive Marvel figure, just so fans who aren't customizers can have her in their collections?

2) There are a lot of non-transforming characters in Transformers who are roughly on scale with the Transformers themselves. Since we've seen non-transforming Transformers toys, could some of these come out in a special subline at some point? Obvious examples include Nightbird, the Mecannibals, Autobot Spike, the Deathbringer, Quintessons, Bob the Insecticon, Garnak, and, for all intents and purposes, Rung, but there are a lot more possibilities.

3) Both GI Joe: Resolute and Renegades ended on cliffhangers that are unlikely to ever be resolved. At the same time, with the exception of the continuation of the original A Real American Hero series, IDW's comics have been struggling for a while. Would it be possible to have those series continued in comic form so fans get some sort of resolution?

JediTricks
05-29-2014, 01:20 AM
Not to ignore Chux's off-brand questions, but I have a SW question I was curious about - why do only the armored figures get double-jointed elbows? I'm sure it's aesthetics, but it feels like Hasbro got the double-jointed knees right on those non-armored figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-29-2014, 04:56 PM
I added it. All this double-elbow talk got me wondering about the Dagobah Luke, so I also added one of my own.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-23-2014, 10:29 PM
We're a month out from the show, so chime in now!

I added a few questions about exclusives at other retailers, which might end up not getting asked depending on what's revealed there.

bigbarada
07-02-2014, 03:40 PM
If we're allowed to ask non-Star Wars related toy questions, this one involves Marvel Comics toys:

Considering how Marvel's All-New X-Men has consistently been one of their best selling titles for two years now and the most recent hardback collected edition made it onto the New York Times Bestseller list, are we going to see you guys focusing more on characters from that series? Of course, we got the All-New X-Men Marvel Legends TRU boxed set recently, but are we going to see any of the original five X-Men in their awesome new costumes worked into the character selections for Marvel Legends and/or the Marvel Infinite lines?

bigbarada
07-07-2014, 11:05 AM
How about a Star Wars question then?

For years, Hasbro has had a monopoly on 3.75" Star Wars figures, but now that you've made the jump over to the 6" scale it seems that you have some competition from Japanese companies that are also licensed to produce 6" Star Wars figures, like Bandai and Play Arts Kai (sp?). Sure, those toys will primarily be available in Japan; but with the internet, you have to realize that that's not really much of an obstacle for consumers anymore. So, what's changed? Is it a result of the Disney purchase? Why do there suddenly seem to be so many companies that are licensed to produced Star Wars figures?

I wanted to throw in a comment about the Jakks Pacific 31" figures, but was worried that it would make the question seem to unfocused.

Also, I do remember reading rumors of Hasbro suing Lego for making their minifigs too much like action figures. If that rumor is true, then maybe I could work that into the question somehow. Since the Bandai, Play Arts Kai, and Jakks Pacific toys are very clearly action figures, and Lego is really just a building toy.

El Chuxter
07-07-2014, 02:41 PM
On that note, how about the "6-inch Black Series is focused on collectors, with high-quality sculpts, only major characters, no resculpts of a character, and no repacks"? Aside from the "6-inch" part, that all went out the window in less than a year.

El Chuxter
07-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Or, perhaps more timely and polite, if it's not already been answered by then (which is a crapshoot):

"There's been a lot of confusion over the years about Bane Malar and Sgt. Doallyn. The previous figure was definitely based on Bane Malar's suit, but the upcoming one has actually made things worse. First, he was announced [??? is this right ???] as Sgt. Doallyn, but initial case solicitations listed him as Brock Starsher. Starsher was a completely new name to most, since the name originated in 2013, but a minimal amount of research confirms that this is the correct name for the figure. However, the actual packaging merely says 'Jabba's Skiff Guard,' which is inconsistent with how all EU-named background characters have been packaged in the past. Did this decision originate from Hasbro or from Lucasfilm/Disney, and what was the reasoning behind it?

And, on a related note, since Sgt. Doallyn is probably the most popular of these three obscure guys with the same helmet and employer (since he had a memorable backstory as far back as 1996's Tales from Jabba's Palace) is there any chance of getting him in the future since the two lesser-known helmeted guys have been made?"

El Chuxter
07-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Hey, I'll monopolize (monotonize?) with another non-SW question:

"This year's Transformers SDCC exclusive is 'The Knights of Cybertron,' with existing Deluxe-scale Transformers redecoed to be a fictitious rock band. Any chance of a future, similarly themed exclusive of Cold Slither? (Unlike Knights of Cybertron, that band exists in prior fiction. Plus there are existing sculpts for all four members, and the SDCC exclusive Zarana from a few years ago was available in a variant wearing a Cold Slither shirt.)"

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-07-2014, 11:21 PM
For years, Hasbro has had a monopoly on 3.75" Star Wars figures, but now that you've made the jump over to the 6" scale it seems that you have some competition from Japanese companies that are also licensed to produce 6" Star Wars figures, like Bandai and Play Arts Kai (sp?). Sure, those toys will primarily be available in Japan; but with the internet, you have to realize that that's not really much of an obstacle for consumers anymore. So, what's changed? Is it a result of the Disney purchase? Why do there suddenly seem to be so many companies that are licensed to produced Star Wars figures?
An interesting question. I've added it.

On that note, how about the "6-inch Black Series is focused on collectors, with high-quality sculpts, only major characters, no resculpts of a character, and no repacks"? Aside from the "6-inch" part, that all went out the window in less than a year.

This article (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/01/29/hasbro-star-wars-black-series-action-figure-toys/1872035/) was where TBS was mentioned, and nowhere do they mention any of that other than it being focused on collectors. They've mentioned a focus on aesthetics elsewhere, and DePriest mentions iconic characters, not major characters. But DePriest's comments are all in line with what the line has been so far. I don't recall them mentioning any of that anywhere else, so if you could provide sources, that'd be dandy.

Or, perhaps more timely and polite, if it's not already been answered by then (which is a crapshoot):

"There's been a lot of confusion over the years about Bane Malar and Sgt. Doallyn. The previous figure was definitely based on Bane Malar's suit, but the upcoming one has actually made things worse. First, he was announced [??? is this right ???] as Sgt. Doallyn, but initial case solicitations listed him as Brock Starsher. Starsher was a completely new name to most, since the name originated in 2013, but a minimal amount of research confirms that this is the correct name for the figure. However, the actual packaging merely says 'Jabba's Skiff Guard,' which is inconsistent with how all EU-named background characters have been packaged in the past. Did this decision originate from Hasbro or from Lucasfilm/Disney, and what was the reasoning behind it?

And, on a related note, since Sgt. Doallyn is probably the most popular of these three obscure guys with the same helmet and employer (since he had a memorable backstory as far back as 1996's Tales from Jabba's Palace) is there any chance of getting him in the future since the two lesser-known helmeted guys have been made?"
He was shown at Toy Fair but I don't remember if they referred to him by name – they definitely didn't call him Brock Starsher, though. Initial case solicitations listed him as Sgt. Doallyn; EE, for one, has recently updated to his generic "Jabba's Skiff Guard" name. I don't think that anything from Hasbro has referred to him as Starsher. Leland Chee made the call in Star Wars Insider last year. In Tales from Jabba's Palace, where Doallyn's story originates, he is meant to be the black-suited guy that Chewie throws down the stairs and in his short story he survives the events of the film. The white-suited guy with the same helmet dies in the film, so Chee deigned that they're two separate characters: black-suited Sgt. Doallyn and white-suited Brock Starsher. Bane Malar appears to be an unrelated character who just so happens to wear similar clothing but does not appear to be in the final cut of the film. Still, I'll rework it and add it. As I was rewriting it I realized that many other skiff/sail barge characters have just been called "Nikto Gunner" or "Nikto Skiff Guard" or something along those lines, so it's not entirely out of place, but I've changed the question to reflect that.

I've also added and modified some more questions of my own.

I probably won't be asking any of the other Hasbro teams anything about other lines (I know nothing about them), but JT might if he chooses to do so.

JediTricks
07-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Yeah, these are not the same teams so it wouldn't be appropriate to use those questions in this thread. I'll consider them for other interviews, but to be honest, I don't think GI Joe is going to be represented there at all, the team has supposedly been disbanded and the line is in flux. As for Marvel, I didn't get an interview last year, so I dunno.

Maradona
07-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Here's a question that I was wondering about and that may potentially yield some interesting information: Is the two inch (or so) mini-figure iteration of Guardians of the Galaxy and the previous Transformers movie line something Hasbro is moving towards for Star Wars and their other properties? (If so, ask them to please bring back M.A.S.K. - as if they ever would)

JediTricks
07-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Here's a question that I was wondering about and that may potentially yield some interesting information: Is the two inch (or so) mini-figure iteration of Guardians of the Galaxy and the previous Transformers movie line something Hasbro is moving towards for Star Wars and their other properties? (If so, ask them to please bring back M.A.S.K. - as if they ever would)Are the GotG figures articulated? I know the SW team's sculptor did the TF Human Alliance figures, so it's a viable question to ask them, I just want to make sure the new ones aren't just statues.

Maradona
07-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Are the GotG figures articulated? I know the SW team's sculptor did the TF Human Alliance figures, so it's a viable question to ask them, I just want to make sure the new ones aren't just statues.

I'm not sure. I'll check when I can.

Tycho
07-15-2014, 12:32 AM
If Hasbro is making 2 inch articulated figures, and they have the Star Trek license, would they ever consider making figures and ships in line with the Dominion Wars (from Deep Space 9) and the other Star Trek incarnations?

Playmates used to have a micro-fleet line for Star Trek like this that had Ferengi, Cardassian, and more ships.

-----------------------------------------------

The Star Wars line is stagnant - perhaps now somewhat as a result of Disney's take-over.

Has anyone at Hasbro spoken up for the Expanded Universe as well as more obscure characters from the movies to keep older collector interest in the line alive?

Zayne Carrick (EU) - because of the KOTOR comic 2-pack and Cliegg Lars (because of the high Fans' Choice ranking under Jocasta Nu) come to mind.

Those figures alongside perhaps new incarnations of Han, Leia, Lando, and a Jedi Master Luke come to mind as sellers along with other new figures from an EU line. It is still going to be published (re-printed) as part of the Star Wars "Legends" line of literature.

bigbarada
07-20-2014, 12:29 AM
New question:

Super7's ReAction toy line has been generating a lot of excitment this year for offering retro style figures on retro style packaging for several different movie properties. If these figures sell well, would that be enough for you to consider producing a similar subline for the Star Wars and Marvel action figure lines?

JediTricks
07-20-2014, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure. I'll check when I can.They are, I checked. How interesting, definitely worth asking now - they are doing a vehicle in that line (it's not very good or big, I saw it yesterday, but it is something).

If Hasbro is making 2 inch articulated figures, and they have the Star Trek license, would they ever consider making figures and ships in line with the Dominion Wars (from Deep Space 9) and the other Star Trek incarnations?

Playmates used to have a micro-fleet line for Star Trek like this that had Ferengi, Cardassian, and more ships.

-----------------------------------------------

The Star Wars line is stagnant - perhaps now somewhat as a result of Disney's take-over.

Has anyone at Hasbro spoken up for the Expanded Universe as well as more obscure characters from the movies to keep older collector interest in the line alive?

Zayne Carrick (EU) - because of the KOTOR comic 2-pack and Cliegg Lars (because of the high Fans' Choice ranking under Jocasta Nu) come to mind.

Those figures alongside perhaps new incarnations of Han, Leia, Lando, and a Jedi Master Luke come to mind as sellers along with other new figures from an EU line. It is still going to be published (re-printed) as part of the Star Wars "Legends" line of literature.Trek, if they bothered keeping the license, which I kinda doubt, would be a different team.

With Disney's edict on a reduced focus on EU figures, I think it'd be pretty strange to ask a question.

New question:

Super7's ReAction toy line has been generating a lot of excitment this year for offering retro style figures on retro style packaging for several different movie properties. If these figures sell well, would that be enough for you to consider producing a similar subline for the Star Wars and Marvel action figure lines?I thought I asked this question 2 years ago when it was about Gentle Giant's jumbo vintage line.

Anyway, I guess we could ask SW team if we get a chance, it wouldn't be my first choice since they have mucked up their Saga Legends figures which are sorta vintage-styled, but I could see adding it to the queue. I don't think we're getting any time with Marvel Hasbro this year though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-20-2014, 11:37 PM
I added the Guardians of the Galaxy and Super7 questions, as well as one about clones and one about paint applications (similar to bigb's previous question about quality control) since why not.

Keep suggesting more, and I'll keep thinking of more. We leave Wednesday morning so I'd like to have these ready to go by Tuesday.

Tycho
07-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Question for JabbaJohnL (not Hasbro) - are you going to Comic Con?

It'd be cool to finally meet you.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Question for JabbaJohnL (not Hasbro) - are you going to Comic Con?

It'd be cool to finally meet you.

I am indeed! I'll be with JT and SirSteve most of the time so we'll have to figure something out.

El Chuxter
07-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Are you wearing your Pee Wee Herman costume? Because it was pretty awesome.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-28-2014, 01:22 PM
I was able to ask most of these questions at Comic-Con. Here's the interview with design manager Bill Rawley (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/07/26/sdcc-2014-interview-with-hasbro-star-wars-product-design-manager-bill-rawley/), where we discuss articulation, weak paint, new scales, and more. My interview with Jeff will be posted tonight or tomorrow.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-29-2014, 11:31 PM
And here's the Jeff interview (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/07/30/sdcc-2014-hasbro-qa-with-global-marketing-manager-jeff-labovitz/). I realized as I was transcribing it that his words come across as much friendlier in person than they might typed out since he relies on inflection more than Bill or Derryl.

Also, on that point, Derryl DePriest is no longer on Star Wars for the moment. He set the strategies going forward but is now working to revive the GI Joe line.

I just realized that I totally should have asked about Boba's pouches when he brought up the Boba re-release. I figured I wouldn't bring up the Maul issues since there aren't plans to repack him anyway. Other than that, I feel like we pretty much got everything from this thread asked.

I also recently realized that there's not a single Vintage Collection item planned for this year – no vehicles, no Kmart exclusives, no nothing. I should've asked about that as well, but it didn't click at the time.

Droid
07-30-2014, 12:44 AM
Great interviews. Thanks for all your hard work.

OC47151
08-01-2014, 01:46 PM
I've read some of the Hasbro Q&A on other SW sites, and came away very unsatisfied with most of the answers. Actually, the responses were more like excuses than answers. Are we finally gonna see figures that were intially released last fall? I've driven past the WM distribution center in Seymour, IN several times in the last month (gonna see it again Sunday!) and I have to think that there is at least one Mara Jade/Pablo Jill case of figures somewhere in the sprawling warehouse.

Makes me wonder if Hasbro has a marketing and distribution plan. They're definitely still paying for the TPM vintage glut from 2 1/2 years ago.

BTW, don't know if they were in the stockroom or someone returned them, but the NA WM had a peg-full of the 3D TPM figures just in the last week.

JediTricks
08-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Good work on the Jeff interview.

I feel like he just doesn't get it, he is trying but doesn't grasp some things - case in point, seeing the Japanese 6" figures as a different market as their own, that's wrong. The Hasbro figures should be shooting for that same quality, that same market, that was the selling point on these - partner with Gentle Giant and put out something special and worthy of the money. But now the line is being run with less quality and shooting for a budget, while Bandai and Square Enix threaten to eat their lunch. Nothing past the first wave of Hasbro 6" has shown the quality or care needed to recapture the higher-end collector that the 4" line has pushed away - compare the eye paint on X-wing Luke to Bespin Luke for a good example.

Interesting about doing something exclusive with Disney stores, about time too as Disney has a healthy relationship with a lot of other manufacturers out there for their exclusives while Hasbro's sort of disappeared from that radar.

Good that they recognize the need to make something like Luke Stormtrooper smaller.

Tycho
08-18-2014, 11:59 AM
I have the interviews open in 2 more windows and will read them in a minute.

I just came back to this thread, and JediTricks' comments seem it an appropriate place to throw in a quick comment about the 6" Black Series in general, but in my comments ARE Questions for Hasbro:

Wave: 1 - decent - was R2D2 really under-scale? Sure looks that way.

Wave:2 - I thought these were good figures except that bare-skin joints (Leia Slave) will never look good. Why was that choice made? Did they learn a lesson? [to our members ... don't you think she would have sold with LESS articulation? Or a sitting half-body option either with the Jabba exclusive, or packaged invisible in the regular shipping box?] Obviously Fett sold and Han Solo doesn't have a lot of trouble. Some hero has to be on the pegs. My opinion: GREEDO is a great choice in spite of the pegwarming - he's a bright different color and if Momaw Nadon (esp) or Ponda Baba are in a near-future wave... The idea is to collect the cantina figures. More than 1 sells it. That is, if Hasbro wants to offer more than main-characters in this line. Is that the plan?

Are poor sales changing a previous plan? (such as more new sculpts like other cantina characters) Has Hasbro considered that it was the quality of the re-leases, and NOT the size change? [finally, personal opinion here - just Tycho representing Tycho for our members ... I never wanted the size change, but they pair well with my Unleashed (full-size from a few years ago) and I bought Obi-Wan, Luke Bespin, and really want a Snowtrooper - and that's it. If I get a Snowtrooper, I won't care if the line dies for 6"].

VEHICLES: This brings us to the "heroes" X-wing fighter. It is about the right size to go with the 6" figures (though under-scale). It could be made to open to hold a 6" Pilot Luke (barely).

So does Hasbro recoup the cost for tooling by selling this as a do-nothing-but-hang-there-toy on the cheap (for those who want one - remember the demand for the vehicles hung up in TRU and Wal-Mart's displays in the '90's? (Falcon, X-wing, N-1)

Then does Hasbro re-sell the same mold with an opening cockpit? That would make sense. They can pay for production changes as they go.

Step 3 is they use the Luke X-wing body to make 6" Biggs and Wedge, and release more opening cockpit X-wings in the 6" scale with the new wing paint or sticker apps.

It makes sense and there is a market for that. Like for putting Han Solo's head on the stormtrooper body. Though now JabbaJohn's interview suggests they will make Luke trooper shorter since he should be.

Wave 3: This is just 3 figures, right? Did they change artists? (We can get our answer by not asking why Luke Bespin looks worse.) Obi-Wan is fine, but would not the Episode One Obi-Wan pair well with Darth Maul? I guess they didn't have any problem selling Maul anyway, plus it'd be nice to get Qui-Gon if you were making another TPM figure. Maul doesn't really interact with anyone but the Jedi. I'm not sure Sidious or Nute Gunray would be exciting for this line (right now anyway). The regular Stormtrooper is a no-brainer and came out fine. I've found him but did not buy him. Han was re-issued in Wave 3, right? Why not Fett first? You have 2 other heroes in Wave 3 - Luke and Obi-Wan.

Why wasn't regular Fett re-issued? Are they trying to hype the line by the secondary market response to Fett?

Wave 4: This one has Vader (PT Hayden when unmasked? I forgot since I'm not interested in this character) and Chewbacca? Is C-3PO in that as well? 3 new figures? Could they put Fett back into that case? [BTW - Fett is for BobaFrett on this site - a gift - and I might have it for him at cost through a friend by tomorrow - I'm asking out of concern for other collectors].

Is Luke Jedi part of Wave 4? I asked Hasbro if they will re-release him with the vest and cloak for a Jabba's Palace version in light of Slave Leia and Jabba? Ask this some more so it's from somebody else. Jeff reacted to me (at Comic Con) like he hadn't thought of this. I'd have preferred Luke Jabba's to DSII Luke at the beginning. More characters to make that interact with him. Including a peg-warmer. Also, would an off-scale figure like the Gamorrean (because he's fat) be made? How would a Gamorrean be released?

When is Lando coming out and which version of him will they do first?

Why? Lando (Bespin) interacts with Fett, Vader, Luke Bespin, Stormtrooper, Chewie, C-3PO, R2-D2

Leia and Han have figures, and Luke has 3 versions now (X-wing, Bespin, Jedi)

Leia and Han can now both be done Bespin or Endor. Would make the most sense. And yes, I know the Stormtrooper disguise is easy for a new Han figure.

[Question for members - did Fett have a cloth cape?] I am wondering if any of the 6" have cloth effects. I guess Vader will. The reason being, Luke Jedi could have Endor and Jabba's versions easily made from Death Star II Luke, and they ought to sell us it all in one, though yes, some people would buy multiples to display Luke every which way.

OC47151
08-18-2014, 01:46 PM
You brought up some excellent points, Tycho. I'm sure there are some creative customizers out there who already have plans to make a cloak for Jedi Luke.

To quote Luke, regarding the Heroes X-wing, what a piece of junk! At least have the flippin' canopy open! And the wings are in the shut position! Aaaaaaaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!! My collector friends and I were commenting this weekend just how bad this vehicle was. It will be on clearance after Christmas. Then the customizers will get their hands on 'em.

My biggest issue with the BS 6-inch line from the very beginning is that the figures are all over the place. There's no focus. A few OT, a few PT. With last year being the 30th anniversary of ROTJ, at least one Jedi figure would've been nice, but no. The figures are just randomly released. Spin the Wheel of Figures and see who gets released! For a line to start, I wouldn't have started off with X-Wing Luke and a sandtrooper, but that's me.

Tycho
08-18-2014, 03:04 PM
OC, like I said, I think Hasbro is paying for their tooling a little as they go...

1) piece of junk
2) opening canopy re-design after they make some money
3) Biggs / Wedge versions of it, with the 6" figures corresponding (if the line gets that far - and Wedge being a far better choice than Biggs)

As to figures:

TPM: Maul
AOTC: R2D2 (could be from any movie anyway)
ROTS: Obi-Wan / Anakin / C-3PO (could say that) / Vader (if Hayden head)
ANH: Sandtrooper / Han / Greedo / Chewie
ESB: Boba Fett (but it's an ROTJ paint app, right?) Luke Bespin / Stormtrooper (we'll let them put the trooper here)
ROTJ: Leia Slave (Technically Luke X-wing - they could say that anyway) / Jabba, Bikerscout, Luke DSII

Some "naturals" would be:

TPM: Qui-Gon, Battle Droid, Destroyer Droid
AOTC: Jango, Super Battle Droid, Arena Padme
ROTS: Grievous, Cody, Dooku
ANH: Momaw Nadon, TIE Pilot, Han Trooper, Luke Trooper
ESB: Leia Bespin Escape, Lando, Snowtrooper, Han or Luke Hoth with TaunTaun exclusive likely (repeat at different Con diff. yr)
ROTJ: Gamorrean (I hope!) Luke Jabba's update (I hope), Wicket, Nikto, Bib Fortuna, Weequay

Of course there'd be a lot more Luke, Leia's, Hans, Landos but this would be where I'd start to work with what's out.

JediTricks
08-18-2014, 06:57 PM
We could ask them WHY the 6" Artoo isn't in scale, but it's definitely underscaled so we don't need to ask them if it is - although I suspect the answer will be "it is? I had no idea, we'll look into that, probably an issue with the factory" sort of thing.

Han and Greedo are both pegwarming alongside Leia. These aren't baby toys, they don't need to be bright colors and shiny things to sucker little children into looking at them, they're a collector line meant to be the biggest deal-characters of the saga. The cantina guys are not a big deal in that way.

As for 6" Slave Leia with less articulation, no I wouldn't have bought that. What attracts me to this line is increased sculpting quality (which has already tumbled), increased paint quality (also tumbled), and increased poseability -- which unfortunately with Leia is already lower than any figure in the line except Artoo thanks to her simpler ankle joints.

Biggs and Wedge would have to be significantly taller than Luke, they can't just reuse the existing tooling as-is. Han and the Stormtrooper are the same height, that's why it's an easy swap, but on Luke they'd have to shorten the legs and arms - the torso on Luke armor they could get away with fudging probably.

Luke Bespin looks worse because the paint is worse and the designer allowed for shoddy placement on the shoulders, but the sculpt seems the same artist to me - didn't they say these were all Vennemeyer, like most SW figures?

Looks like Fett wasn't reissued in wave 3 because they were using that tooling for the Walgreens exclusive. That's how it goes with Hasbro, they only have so much tooling and don't want to double that investment to copy it, so if an exclusive is going to be using the tooling they don't want to schedule its use against anything else.

6" Vader is the Blu Ray version, so it's Shaw's likeness on the figure but no eyebrows. It has sculpted straps, which combined with other details makes it definitely ESB/ROTJ.

6" Wave 4 is ROTS Anakin, the Clone Trooper from AOTC, and then a reissue of Fett and the Stormtrooper. Expect Anakin to pegwarm hard due to so many popular case-mates.

Luke Jedi is wave 5, they didn't include the Jabba's Palace cloak and soft goods almost certainly because they are cheapskates - notice that Obi-Wan didn't come with his cloak either, this line is very frustrating like that. I prefer Luke from the end of the film, but honestly, these are supposed to be fairly complete, there should be a Tatooine soft goods AND an Endor poncho, belt and helmet included with this figure, not to mention swappable hands (note that they didn't bother doing a removable hand on Luke Bespin, so it's clear the management on this line doesn't really notice things like this).

Lando isn't as important a character in the saga, it's not surprising they haven't done him yet. Plus there's the whole racial issue of a black guy character in "The Black Series" line. I would think they'd do Lando ESB over skiff or general just due to being more recognizable.

Really really really need an ANH Leia somewhere, 6" is as good as anywhere.

There are cloth elements on 6" Maul's skirt, on Fett's cape (all versions), on Leia's skirt, on Obi-Wan and Anakin's kama skirts, and Vader will be coming with WAY TOO MUCH soft goods (as evident in the lame shortcut used on the figure's codpiece which makes the whole thing look like a big black diaper).

Ugh, the wings don't even open on the X-wing? Could this thing get ANY WORSE??!

Tycho, your pet theory about the X-wing isn't likely what's going on, as they planned it in advance with and without electronics. Cutting tooling again is risky and expensive, they aren't doing it anymore, they pre-plan those changes and build them into the tooling in the first pass now.

Character selection is subjective.

Tycho
08-29-2014, 07:59 AM
they're a collector line meant to be the biggest deal-characters of the saga. The cantina guys are not a big deal in that way.

No wonder my lack of interest then.

As for 6" Slave Leia with less articulation, no I wouldn't have bought that. What attracts me to this line is increased sculpting quality (which has already tumbled), increased paint quality (also tumbled), and increased poseability -- which unfortunately with Leia is already lower than any figure in the line except Artoo thanks to her simpler ankle joints.

But her articulation is what makes her look so bad, ironically or obviously.

Luke Jedi is wave 5, they didn't include the Jabba's Palace cloak and soft goods almost certainly because they are cheapskates - notice that Obi-Wan didn't come with his cloak either, this line is very frustrating like that. I prefer Luke from the end of the film, but honestly, these are supposed to be fairly complete, there should be a Tatooine soft goods AND an Endor poncho, belt and helmet included with this figure, not to mention swappable hands (note that they didn't bother doing a removable hand on Luke Bespin, so it's clear the management on this line doesn't really notice things like this).

I miss Darryl micro-managing the line. Except where cost was prohibitive, he cared.

Lando isn't as important a character in the saga, it's not surprising they haven't done him yet. Plus there's the whole racial issue of a black guy character in "The Black Series" line. I would think they'd do Lando ESB over skiff or general just due to being more recognizable.

I don't recall the packaging saying "The Black Series" though. Besides, Mace is on a 3 3/4" card. Yes, the blue shirt from Bespin is his most iconic look, but I really want a General Lando from SideShow one of these days. [the Hasbro Skiff Guard version is just fine for 12"]

Really really really need an ANH Leia somewhere, 6" is as good as anywhere.

I'd disagree. Need Padmes for the 3 3/4" line before Leia is back everywhere because of the ST movies.

and Vader will be coming with WAY TOO MUCH soft goods (as evident in the lame shortcut used on the figure's codpiece which makes the whole thing look like a big black diaper).

Is that the Depens Exclusive? That's not the Black Series. That's the Senior Collector Series. :P

Tycho, your pet theory about the X-wing isn't likely what's going on, as they planned it in advance with and without electronics. Cutting tooling again is risky and expensive, they aren't doing it anymore, they pre-plan those changes and build them into the tooling in the first pass now.

We'll see. I could probably care less anyway. I'm not sure if I'd want any vehicle in the 6" scale. I'll have to think about that.

I thought about that. And no - I don't want any vehicles in the 6" scale.

We're almost done now.

Character selection is subjective.

They're not doing badly here.

JediTricks
08-29-2014, 08:48 PM
But her articulation is what makes her look so bad, ironically or obviously.In person, it's not her big flaw, the big flaw is the wide hip design. Hasbro seems hellbent on using this separate T-crotch piece for all the 6" SW figures as if these are friggin' GI Joe figures from the '80s, and it causes the hips to be broad and their receiver elements to be equally broad to accommodate the movement, and while most of the figures in the line have sculpted clothing to at least help offset that wider look, Leia doesn't, so it just looks like she's got the wrong scale lower body. Her second biggest flaw is this weird forward-jutting neck that looks a little weird; her third is the lack of rocker ankles; then you get to the articulation which can be posed to look ok except straight elbows and the mid-thigh cut-joints. Creative posing and a decent facial sculpt keep this figure from being a total wash.

I don't recall the packaging saying "The Black Series" though. Besides, Mace is on a 3 3/4" card. It says "The Black Series" right under the Star Wars logo on all the packaging, orange stripe, blue stripe, and deluxe. Lando was the first black guy in Star Wars, also the 3.75" line doesn't really get as much exposure... because it suuuuuucks.

I'd disagree. Need Padmes for the 3 3/4" line before Leia is back everywhere because of the ST movies.There's a difference between what YOU need and what THE LINE needs. You need everything that would bankrupt the line because that's your needs, but your needs don't have to market the line to a wider audience while the line does. We have a lot of adequate Padme figures and zero good Leia ANH figures, and only one of those 2 characters is actually a brand icon (hint: it's not Padme). Leia ANH is the second-most iconic female image in all of Star Wars, following only Slave Leia, and we have no Leia ANH figures that are worth a damn.

Tycho
09-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Leia ANH is the second-most iconic female image in all of Star Wars, following only Slave Leia, and we have no Leia ANH figures that are worth a damn.

I'll just reply to this, as you might, and then we'll kill the side discussion and get back to people's questions for Hasbro, but...

Leia ANH (with the buns - and the poster girl from ANH's original theatrical release art) - is probably still more iconic than Slave Leia.

It's the hairstyle which is more acceptable to even a prudish public audience - though most aren't (about Slave Leia's costume).

As to ANH figures, I always like the Princess Leia Collection (softgoods, lipstick) Leia best (from 1998). She might be slightly comic-book like, but (aside from not being up to today's standards for articulation) she looked cool (or was it fun - as a little action figure?) - to me.

That being said, I agree with you about "my needs" (Nyrat Agira and Cliegg Lars are cases in point) but still, that's who I am. The last Princess Leia figure I got excited about was the 2008 Build-A-Droid Leia Medical Frigate figure, because I had nothing too similar to her. I think that was the last Leia figure I bought in the past 6 years. (Wow! 6 years!)

I have no plans to buy any more Leia figures unless they are Expanded Universe (original EU or maybe new Disney-verse, or I'm going to make some customs of Leia from the original EU) and of course I will buy the Episode 7 Leia figures (like Leia from the 12-Step-Program and Leia Mid-Life-Crisis - sure to be hits Hasbro should consider).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-30-2014, 06:37 PM
I should be able to get interview time with the Hasbro Star Wars team at New York Comic Con in just over a week. Anyone have new questions? I've added some of my own.

Here are the questions that were asked at San Diego Comic Con, with the Product Design Manager Bill Rawley interview here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/07/26/sdcc-2014-interview-with-hasbro-star-wars-product-design-manager-bill-rawley/) and the Global Marketing Manager Jeff Labovitz interview here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/07/30/sdcc-2014-hasbro-qa-with-global-marketing-manager-jeff-labovitz/).

6" Darth Maul shipped in the first wave with loose joints and a gummy, easily-warped lightsaber accessory. What are the chances of this being rectified in a future release? What about Boba Fett's hip boxes which make his legs almost unposeable, might you address that in a future release? Will we see any figures from the black-and-orange box waves re-released in the black-and-blue boxes?
The Toys R Us exclusive Battle on Endor set includes an AT-ST and several figures that have been released before, most of them in just the past two or three years. Were there any plans to modify or update any of the items, since most collectors already have them? If it's not for collectors, then why is it part of The Black Series? Wouldn't it be better to include at least some newness for longtime fans?
Now that the Disney Store is carrying Star Wars items including Hasbro vehicles and Black Series figures, are there any plans for you to release any exclusives there? Are there possibilities for their own division producing items compatible with your lines, similar to their Starspeeder and Build-A-Droid pieces from the parks?
At Toy Fair, it was mentioned that the updated 41st Elite Corps Clone Trooper would be released in the same numbers as the original incorrect one. So far, the new version has only been seen internationally and in limited numbers. Since it isn't planned to ship with the next few waves, will it still make its way to the States, or at least in greater numbers? What about as a re-release on the black-and-blue TIE Pilot card?
It's been said that you were asked to release fewer figures from the prequels, The Clone Wars, and Expanded Universe as Lucasfilm shifts its focus to the new entertainment. What's their actual stance here? Will we still be seeing at least some figures from these sources, or is it unlikely?
In the 6" Black Series, most of the figures have double-jointed knees, but why do only the troopers get double-jointed elbows? Is it about aesthetics, cost, or something else entirely?
The new Dagobah training Luke features double-jointed elbows. Is that something we're likely to see on other figures, or a one-time-only feature?
Walgreens is getting into the exclusive action figure game, with prototype Boba Fett in addition to a few non-Star Wars figures. What's the story behind this new and unexpected partnership? Were you looking for new exclusive retailers, or did they ask you to create a product for them?
Amazon released three collector-focused exclusives last year – the Slave I, TIE Interceptor, and Droid Factory set. They all ended up on clearance, but were they successful enough to warrant new items from Amazon later this year or next? What about Brian's Toys and another exclusive figure like Jocasta Nu?
Celebration VI was the only Celebration not to have an exclusive – will Celebration Anaheim return to form?
For years, Hasbro has had a monopoly on 3 3/4" Star Wars figures, but now that you've made the jump over to the 6" scale it seems that you have some competition from Japanese companies that are also licensed to produce 6" Star Wars figures, like Bandai and Play Arts Kai. Sure, those toys will primarily be available in Japan; but with the internet that's not really much of an obstacle for consumers anymore. So, what's changed? Is it a result of the Disney purchase? Why do there suddenly seem to be so many companies that are licensed to produced Star Wars figures?
The new Jabba's Skiff Guard figure is causing some confusion. For years, fans assumed that the black-suited character that Chewie throws down Jabba's stairs was the skiff guard later seen wearing the same helmet and a white jumpsuit, and that they were both Sgt. Doallyn. Last year, Leland Chee revealed that the character in Jabba's palace was Doallyn, who survives in the expanded universe, and the skiff guard was a separate character named Brock Starsher, who dies in the skiff battle in the movie. Early solicitations for this new figure called him Sgt. Doallyn, yet the card gives him the generic Jabba's Skiff Guard name. It seems out of place, since all other skiff guards have been called out by name or at least species. So is the generic name a response to his Doallyn/Starsher shift, or is Lucasfilm changing its tune again, or was the name chosen to appeal to a wider buying audience, or what? On that note, while we got the similar-looking Bane Malar figure in 2008, will we be seeing the black-suited Doallyn at some point?
Four Saga Legends figures – Jedi Luke, Darth Maul, Clone Wars Obi-Wan, and Snowtrooper – were only released internationally so far. Are they still planned for release in the US? If so, will they be on the lava Vader card or the new Rebels-inspired card?
The Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy line has bypassed the 3 3/4" scale entirely and opted for a 2" line of two-packs, simple unpainted accessories, and small vehicles. Similar figures were released for Transformers a few years ago and for Episode I in 1999. Is this direction something you might be trying again for Star Wars in the future?
Funko and Super7 have started selling retro-styled figures on retro packaging for several different movie properties. If these figures sell well, would that be enough for you to consider producing a similar subline for Star Wars? Or are Saga Legends and Mission Series sort of scratching that particular itch?
We've seen several clone trooper updates using the super-articulated Vintage Collection body, including most of the ranks from Attack of the Clones. Will we still be seeing the red captain and yellow commander using this body, or is it unlikely with the new media taking the spotlight?
It seems that the paint applications have gotten sloppy lately. Is this due to a new factory, or lowered costs, or something? Are there plans to tighten them back to their previous standards?

JediTricks
10-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Yeah, if you can, ask why packaging is so aggressively tight as to warp the Scout Trooper figure in both 6" and 3.75" scales. There's no obvious reason the trays have to warp helmets and limbs.

LTBasker
10-04-2014, 07:42 PM
No worries if none of these feel necessary to ask, but these are the questions currently floating through my head regarding the line.

- Since the Stormtrooper kept the rear peg hole for the Sandtrooper pack, is it in the plans to release a "space trooper" version with the oxygen pack?

- The #13 Chewbacca production apparently got far enough along to end up having several Anakin and Clones packaged in his box, but did any Chewies make it through fully packaged and were simply pulled from the cases? If so, will a limited #13 Chewie ever be offered as an exclusive anywhere?

- If Rebels characters make it into the 6" line, will they have their own animated style or will they fit into the present movie style like the 'realistic' Clone Wars figures in the 3 3/4" line?

- Was it a cost or sales concern that the AOTC Clone didn't come with a Phase II head? Since all-white phase II Clones were only visible for meager moments in ROTS, easy to miss if you had blinked, will it get its own release or likely be offered as an accessory if the AOTC Clone Pilot is made?

- Considering that nearly every 3 3/4" Clone after 2005 has had a removable helmet, it was surprising the 6" Clone didn't have one. Was it a cost concern or a design aesthetic?

- Given the likely high costs of the 6" scale using unique sculpts for the vast majority of figures so far, is it reasonable to expect a repaint wave sooner or later?

And, finally...

- Is there any chance for another R2-D2 on a more accurately scaled basic body without the opening panels and a more free-spinning head, to allow for easier repaints of other astromechs? (R5-D4, R2-B1, etc.)

bigbarada
10-06-2014, 01:53 AM
Why were there no Rebels action figures available for sale in time for the Rebels premiere this last weekend? With every Star Wars film (sans ANH) and the Clone Wars TV show, action figures were available for sale weeks before the new media premiered. Why was that not the case this time around? Was it an intentional decision to let demand build up or were you guys simply not able to get the toys out in time?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Tomorrow night is the Hasbro event, so if you have questions, post them soon!

I've added and combined several more questions and organized them between Rebels, TBS 3 3/4", TBS 6", and exclusives.

- If Rebels characters make it into the 6" line, will they have their own animated style or will they fit into the present movie style like the 'realistic' Clone Wars figures in the 3 3/4" line?
They stated at both Toy Fair and SDCC that they won't be bringing Rebels into the 6" line for the foreseeable future but potentially could do so eventually if the characters are popular. So presumably they won't have an answer for this since it's not going to happen any time soon.

- Was it a cost or sales concern that the AOTC Clone didn't come with a Phase II head? Since all-white phase II Clones were only visible for meager moments in ROTS, easy to miss if you had blinked, will it get its own release or likely be offered as an accessory if the AOTC Clone Pilot is made?
They've never included both the AOTC and ROTS helmets on a single figure before, so it shouldn't be too surprising that they didn't do it here. I did add a question about future clone helmets, though.

- Given the likely high costs of the 6" scale using unique sculpts for the vast majority of figures so far, is it reasonable to expect a repaint wave sooner or later?
This is what Jeff said about repaints at SDCC:

SSG: So in the new black-and-blue line, I see we’ve got some repaints and retools, like Han’s head on the Stormtrooper body. Are we going to be seeing many straight repacks or retools of the existing characters?

JL: No, that’s not the plan. We’ll do it where it’s appropriate. Even with Han Solo, we made sure to correct the neck collar so that it would make sense and you wouldn’t see the gap. Likewise, if we were to do a Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper disguise – just saying – we’d make sure to tool up a body that was a little bit shorter. So I don’t think we’ll go in the direction of pure repaints. We’re trying to make the best possible representation we can at this $20 price point with the best figures possible. That’s the direction we’d like to stick with.
However, we've also seen repaints of Boba Fett, the Sandtrooper (x2), the Speeder Bike with Biker Scout, and the Clone Trooper. It seems that they'll sprinkle them in when they can to save costs or to make an interesting repaint, but I doubt we'll be seeing a full wave of repaints.

LTBasker
10-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the clarification on those! I thought I had seen something about Hasbro saying that Rebels were likely to appear as 6", but I may have mis-read.

JediTricks
10-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Best of luck with the questions JabbaJohn, and I second BB's question about the Rebels product launch.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Best of luck with the questions JabbaJohn, and I second BB's question about the Rebels product launch.
Thanks! Here is the interview with Joe Ninivaggi (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/10/10/nycc-2014-hasbro-star-wars-qa-with-joe-ninivaggi/), the senior brand manager of global marketing for the Hasbro Star Wars team.

This was my first time talking with Joe and there seemed to be slight miscommunication on some of the questions, but overall Joe was straightforward and concise in his answers. He was also very nice, patient with my technical snafus, and offered to answer any more questions if I had them.

The C-3PO figure is a head-scratcher since the one on display and in the press photos is clearly the 2010 TVC C-3PO, which was under scaled even in its first release, though Joe said it's not the Vintage figure with removable pieces. Perhaps it'll be a properly scaled version of the figure?

Since this is the last Hasbro event for 2014, I'll start a new thread for 2015 questions soon.

LTBasker
10-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Great job, JabbaJohn! Addressing the Jawas was especially helpful since, even with all the assurance of being 3 3/4", they just seemed too big.

It's a shame they insist on defending R2, I would definitely prefer to see an improved neutral sculpt without the gimmick work. Especially for whatever repaints/retools (R5-D4, notably) they plan to do.

El Chuxter
10-10-2014, 05:25 PM
I don't feel like checking: has there ever been a Boushh Leia with the thermal detonator not permanently attached?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Great job, JabbaJohn! Addressing the Jawas was especially helpful since, even with all the assurance of being 3 3/4", they just seemed too big.

It's a shame they insist on defending R2, I would definitely prefer to see an improved neutral sculpt without the gimmick work. Especially for whatever repaints/retools (R5-D4, notably) they plan to do.

Thanks! Yeah, they seem to be adamant about Artoo's scale. I never thought it was too far off, but I know lots of people have had issues with it.

I don't feel like checking: has there ever been a Boushh Leia with the thermal detonator not permanently attached?
The 2006 TSC figure's detonator was a separate accessory with a peg that could plug into a hole in her hand or her belt. The 1996 SOTE/POTF2 figure's was permanently in her hand.