PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: Black Series - 6" Series News From Toy Fair!!

Beast
02-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Collecting the news from various sites as it's posted:

The Black Series: New packaging, more open for 6" and 3.75 has an Imperial Theme with a TIE Pilot head.

6" Figures. 2014 has Chewbacca from Episode IV, Ep II Clone Trooper, Darth Vader from Ep VI with 2 piece removable helmet and Jedi Luke with 2 shirts, open or closed shirt flap, New Sandtrooper (Black Pauldron).

6" Speeder Bike with Biker Scout from Episode VI with a stand of 3 different levels of height and adjustable stand.
6" Jabba The Hutt with movable arms that moves the mouth. Comes with Salacious Crumb.

Jabba may be a SDCC Exclusive. But that hasn't been confirmed as of yet. I really hope that's not true.

Updates from Sir Steve via Facebook:

Re: Jabba - 6" Jabba - moving arms opens mouth, like Clone Wars Jabba figure. Bill wanted to include tongue, but team disagreed.

Re: New Packaging - Black Series - spend plenty of time and brainpower working on things line. New look with blue accents instead of orange, new more open box can do taller figures. Imperial themed card for 3 3/4" shows TIE Pilot helmet similar to Rebels Stormtrooper card.

Update: Anakin Skywalker: Revenge Of The Sith comes wth 2 different heads! Sith Eyes head!! :D

bigbarada
02-15-2014, 06:09 PM
I really like the idea of the TIE Pilot themed packaging for the 3.75" line. I think that's definitely a first for the line. If we get a new TIE Pilot on that card, then I'm definitely buying one to keep MOC. :)

Anyways, 6" Darth Vader looks very impressive so far. Same with Jedi Luke.

Chewie looks really good from the neck down, but something about his face and that forehead really bothers me. I think the sculpting of the head feels too simplistic compared to the rest of the figure.

The Biker Scout with the Speederbike also seems really impressive. However, there are a few things that bother me about it slightly. Mainly the positioning of his neck. It appears that he's not going to be able to do anything but ride the Speeder Bike. Hopefully, that's not the case.

I'm surprisingly lukewarm about the 6" Jabba and the 3.75" Ree-Yees and Brock Starsher. They look very well done, but I just can't seem to be able to conjure up any excitement for them.

Beast
02-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Pixel Dan's chat with Hasbro's Bill Rawley about today's 6" Black Series reveals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=URaklTg0r64

The way he hesitates when asked about the Dais, and then says the retail version will be just as you see it on display... Jabbb w/ Dais it's certainly going to be the SDCC Exclusive this year.

Also confirms that Chewie is indeed larger. As he's refereed to as "almost a 7" figure".

Darth Vader's cloak isn't final. The final version will have a real chain connecting each side.

He also confirms an Emperor Palpatine figure is now in the works. Good.... good! :D

Palpatine is planned to have two sets of hands. One normal and one with sculpted force lightning.

Soft Goods Cloak on Palpy and he'll come with his cane from Return Of The Jedi.

bigbarada
02-15-2014, 07:20 PM
I wonder if there will be an exclusive version of Palpatine with his throne.

I don't really have much interest in Jabba without the throne and I'm definitely not interested enough to go through all the hassle of trying to track down the convention exclusive version.

Either way, that's good news about Vader, since the cape is probably the only thing that I had a problem with; but I've learned not to judge soft goods in the prototype stage.

Beast
02-15-2014, 07:27 PM
I wonder if there will be an exclusive version of Palpatine with his throne.

It didn't sound likely given the video. Oh well.

Beast
02-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Looks like given the official press pics from Hasbro....

Wave 4: CloneTrooper, Anakin Skywalker, Chewbacca. And rumored Obi-Wan Repack.
Wave 5: Darth Vader, Luke: Jedi Knight, Sandtrooper (Black Pauldron). And rumored Chewbacca Repack.

And judging by the list from Hasbro's Website that spoiled a bunch of figures.....

Wave 6 should Be: C-3PO, TIE Fighter Pilot, and Jawas. The Repack is uncertain.

Tycho
02-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Im not buying many of these but Luke Jedi with his vest and cloak would be nice.

You'd think w. Jabba...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-17-2014, 09:56 PM
I've been covering the show with SirSteve (I was the one updating Facebook during the Hasbro presentation) and got to see the new 6" figures in person - they're pretty astounding. Chewie and Vader are indeed in scale. The booth was crazy busy, so I didn't get to examine them as much as I wanted, but Vader's head sculpt looks absolutely fantastic. I don't necessarily think we already need a third Luke, but he looks cool. The clone and biker scout are as great as the other armored characters have been, and Chewie looks awesome. The biker scout and Jabba are basically perfect, and great choices to expand the line, IMO. I also really like the blue accents instead of the orange, and hopefully the new look is more open and shows the figure better, which is their intent. It'll be frustrating if Jabba's accessories are exclusive to SDCC, but Jabba himself is so spectacular that I'm not too bothered.

El Chuxter
02-17-2014, 10:13 PM
If you've seen them in person, can you tell how Vader's mask would fit? I'm a bit concerned that he's only been shown unmasked, as if they're maybe trying to conceal an issue with how well it fits.

If the mask works, and the line makes it this far, and he's not a Boba Fett shortpack, Vader would be the first I'd actually get.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-18-2014, 07:54 AM
If you've seen them in person, can you tell how Vader's mask would fit? I'm a bit concerned that he's only been shown unmasked, as if they're maybe trying to conceal an issue with how well it fits.

If the mask works, and the line makes it this far, and he's not a Boba Fett shortpack, Vader would be the first I'd actually get.
I'm sure that's not the case. He was just displayed without his mask to show the face sculpt. It's a two piece helmet, like on the recent basic figures. Unfortunately we didn't get to see it with the mask on, though - I should've asked but the Hasbro SW showroom was a complete madhouse, especially the Black Series section, and they only brought the speeder bike out of the case for photos. Also, these are of course just prototypes (Vader will have a chain, for instance) so maybe they weren't ready to show it yet. Even if I doesn't work well, since this is a ROTJ Vader, I bet they'll release other versions with non-removable helmets as well.

Beast
02-18-2014, 08:04 AM
The forum was wonky as hell yesterday.... so couldn't update the news...

6" Deluxe Series Tauntaun is coming! And possibly a Wampa. ESB Fans... SDCC reveals will be huge!

And don't expect any EU figures going forward from 6" or 3 3/4". Star Wars EU is off limits by request of Lucasfilm.

Probably has a lot to do with the upcoming new films. And the new changes to Expanded Universe.

bigbarada
02-18-2014, 05:54 PM
And don't expect any EU figures going forward from 6" or 3 3/4". Star Wars EU is off limits by request of Lucasfilm.

That's going to get some people up in arms. When did they say that?

Beast
02-18-2014, 07:28 PM
That's going to get some people up in arms. When did they say that?
Jedi Temple Archives:

Expanded Universe Fans: We're Doomed!

"This is madness!" "I have a bad feeling about this." Or enter any other dark Star Wars phrase to express the really bad decision to end a very important property. We don't like it, but we imagine it had to eventually happen. Although we don't see eye to eye with Hasbro on this decision, they are sadly being directed by Lucasfilm to avoid a huge and fertile property. Please ensure you are sitting down before reading this one. Click through for more.

The Expanded Universe is dead folks. Hasbro has been directed by Lucasfilm, Ltd. (the culprit in many of Hasbro's bad business decisions) to avoid the Expanded Universe like the plague. Not only is it next to impossible that we'll see a brand new Expanded Universe figure in the near future (we're talking years folks), older and hard to find figures will NEVER see re-release either.

So far there is already an exception. Hasbro has received permission to get Bastila Shan, Darth Malgus, the Republic Trooper and Starkiller out into the line again, but that's only because of the distribution nightmare surrounding The Vintage Collection which have been planned way in advance to the recently announced "No EU" directive.

Hasbro said, and I quote, to "not expect to ever see Jaina Solo or Jacen Solo or any other older Comic Packs figure re-released in any way to get out to collectors".

Sorry to be the bearer of tragic news, but that's what's going down.

On a related note, we will see a huge cutback on the characters from the Prequel Trilogy as well. They're not off limits, but the focus will be on the Original Trilogy and Star Wars: Rebels for the foreseeable future. And just to be clear, this is from the perspective of action figures. We don't know any decisions of comics, video games and the like, so be sure not to say "JTA said there are no more EU comics or video games coming", because that would be a lie. Thank you.

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13152

Q: Is it theoretically possible that we get some of the last comic-pack figures (Exar Kun, Montross etc) re-released in The Black series?

A: No. With the exception of some TBS carry-forwards from The Vintage Collection, releasing older EU characters or making new ones are completely off limits per Lucasfilm. From a toy perspective only, the EU is dead for now.

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13166

El Chuxter
02-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Madness. Madness.

Even if the EU is wiped, fans will not forget. Why deny yourself the money? Sigh.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Madness. Madness.

Even if the EU is wiped, fans will not forget. Why deny yourself the money? Sigh.How can you make something that no longer exists? Your memory must be fuzzy, Chux.

"I feel the EU content in you. Let go of your ain't; it is your true shelf of toys."
"There is no EU content. I must obey my Mouse-Eared Masters."

bigbarada
02-18-2014, 09:45 PM
The European Union is dead? Eh, I guess we all saw that coming.

I can't really think of anything else that the acronym "EU" might stand for. Did it have something to do with Star Wars?

Anyways, I love the idea of a renewed focus on the Original Trilogy and I'm starting to get more optimistic about Rebels with some of the newer reveals.

I'm hoping that we see the Prequels continue to diminish in importance as time goes on and maybe in a few years all three of those films can be ejected from the official SW canon as well; but that's probably just a pipe dream.

Beast
02-18-2014, 10:13 PM
They would never do that. The reason the focus is on the OT and Rebels is due to the new movies.

Besides... the PT are still some of the best Star Wars films. Even if some fans don't like them.

bigbarada
02-18-2014, 10:50 PM
They would never do that. The reason the focus is on the OT and Rebels is due to the new movies.

Besides... the PT are still some of the best Star Wars films. Even if some fans don't like them.

They're definitely in the top 6 when you're listing the best Star Wars films. :D

El Chuxter
02-18-2014, 11:38 PM
Wait, BigB. You clearly forgot Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor. :D

bigbarada
02-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Wait, BigB. You clearly forgot Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor. :D

Okay, they're in the top 8. Top 10 if you count the 2008 Clone Wars pilot and the Droids "The Great Heap" TV movie.

Tycho
02-19-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm disappointed about the EU, most formidably about Zayne Carrick (KOTOR comics that goes with a Mandalorian character and Jareal, both "b-characters" put in a 2-pack from KOTOR) because Hasbro once planed Zayne to be a single-carded EU figure or packed with the Snivvian (Snaggletooth) side-kick of his, Gryph.

Nomi Sunrider would have also been nice to complete the big-3 from TOTJ (to go with Exar, Ulic, and maybe Mandalorian warriors or Sith battle droids from that era would have been nice additions).

Anakin Solo could have also been made (perhaps with Jedi girlfriend Tahiri) or single-packing Yuuzhan Vong warrior army builders.

The Solo twins could have also been made in other outfits. I've customized Jaina Solo X-wing Pilot and New Republic shadow ops figures since I bought stacks of the Jaina / Jacen figures when the TRU exclusive wave hit (sorry, I have plans to use them all - some with Torryn Far's body for Jaina is "sort-of" her Jedi Academy jumpsuit).

And like Guri (in serveral outfits if I had my way) - there are more EU figures that are part of the history of what was my Star Wars renaissance that began with Timothy Zhan's work 4 years before Hasbro even returned action figures back to the SW universe.

Tycho
02-19-2014, 08:23 PM
I will add that I'm buying Chewie for BobaFrett (and will gladly pounce on the re-release of Boba Fett as a gift for him too). This is not a surprise for BobaFrett so if he's lurking here any time soon, he knows he's getting these. (I'm getting him every 6" seen around Mos Eisley in any ANH "edition."

The Vader does indeed look like the best figure of the 6" line ever. I won't be buying though. Sadly I cannot get everything and have a lot of Vader products. I even got 'Frett the awesome SideShow one which is far better than even this 6".

I will buy myself some of my first 6" - ROTS Obi-Wan and ESB Bespin Luke.

I need these characters to pair with my Unleashed. Unfortunately, they still don't look that great (especially Luke).

AND I still have a problem with ROTJ Luke.

Normally I love the Death Star II version of Luke and couldn't wait until we finally got 3 3/4" figures of him like this, shirt flap either way.

However, I really want a Jedi Luke to pose with Unleashed Slave Leia (far superior looking to the 6" Black Series Slave Leia).

I may not buy this DSII Luke and wait to see if they ever make the Jabba Palace / Dagobah Jedi Luke that I want. DSII Luke will eventually pegwarm, like X-wing Luke does and Bespin Luke will. Hasbro will saturate with Luke figures. They always do.

I am willing to watch the 6" line be discontinued in a few years and pay "whatever's reasonable" for a DSII 6" Luke on eBay or Amazon in 2016-2018, whatever. But I'm not going to initially buy a product I do not want.

Here's my thinking on ROTJ Luke:

If the 6" line can hold out until it's including Episode 7 characters and stay viable, they'll eventually retreat to making popular OT characters they haven't made for the 6" Black Series and while yeah, a 6" Ree-Yees would look amazing, they're not going to re-visit the OT without making Han, Luke, and Leia - especially since the characters will recur in the ST as their older selves.

Therefore, to make a ROTJ figure of Luke different from this DSII Luke, we'll eventually get the Jabba Palace / Dagobah version of him.

Sadly, after I get Bespin Luke and ROTS Obi-Wan, probably only a lone Snowtrooper is all I'll buy for myself from the 6" line - and you know they will eventually do a Snowtrooper!

If they make a Bespin Lando, I might go full circle and go for one of the 2014 Chewbaccas to join him, buying it on the secondary market in 2016 or later.

With Luke X-wing peg-warming, I'm not sure if Hasbro will decide Lando is the right way to go, for politically incorrect reasons. It could depend upon whether Billy Dee Williams gets to return in the ST, too. Otherwise, a character with a similar background for the actor portraying him, and a wiser choice, might be Mace Windu since he's a Jedi Master. There, I said that as politely as I could put it.