PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro: "The Expanded Universe Is Officially Off-Limits!"

Beast
02-18-2014, 09:05 PM
I decided to start a new thread about this. Since almost nobody is talking about it.

But by order of Lucasfilm... likely due to the new rules for the Expanded Universe... EU Figures are Off-Limits.

Confirmed by Jedi Temple Archives after speaking to Hasbro at Toy Fair. Sorry EU Fans.

Jedi Temple Archives:

Expanded Universe Fans: We're Doomed!

"This is madness!" "I have a bad feeling about this." Or enter any other dark Star Wars phrase to express the really bad decision to end a very important property. We don't like it, but we imagine it had to eventually happen. Although we don't see eye to eye with Hasbro on this decision, they are sadly being directed by Lucasfilm to avoid a huge and fertile property. Please ensure you are sitting down before reading this one. Click through for more.

The Expanded Universe is dead folks. Hasbro has been directed by Lucasfilm, Ltd. (the culprit in many of Hasbro's bad business decisions) to avoid the Expanded Universe like the plague. Not only is it next to impossible that we'll see a brand new Expanded Universe figure in the near future (we're talking years folks), older and hard to find figures will NEVER see re-release either.

So far there is already an exception. Hasbro has received permission to get Bastila Shan, Darth Malgus, the Republic Trooper and Starkiller out into the line again, but that's only because of the distribution nightmare surrounding The Vintage Collection which have been planned way in advance to the recently announced "No EU" directive.

Hasbro said, and I quote, to "not expect to ever see Jaina Solo or Jacen Solo or any other older Comic Packs figure re-released in any way to get out to collectors".

Sorry to be the bearer of tragic news, but that's what's going down.

On a related note, we will see a huge cutback on the characters from the Prequel Trilogy as well. They're not off limits, but the focus will be on the Original Trilogy and Star Wars: Rebels for the foreseeable future. And just to be clear, this is from the perspective of action figures. We don't know any decisions of comics, video games and the like, so be sure not to say "JTA said there are no more EU comics or video games coming", because that would be a lie. Thank you.

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13152

Q: Is it theoretically possible that we get some of the last comic-pack figures (Exar Kun, Montross etc) re-released in The Black series?

A: No. With the exception of some TBS carry-forwards from The Vintage Collection, releasing older EU characters or making new ones are completely off limits per Lucasfilm. From a toy perspective only, the EU is dead for now.

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13166

bigbarada
02-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Do we know if this is permanent or is it just until they get done with their revamp of the EU canon?

Beast
02-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Do we know if this is permanent or is it just until they get done with their revamp of the EU canon?
No clue. They pretty much say the focus is only on the movies and rebels.

Especially with the upcoming new movie invalidating most EU.

Snowtrooper
02-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Maybe this was mention elsewhere, but they also said that there are no PT figures to be made either.

Edit:Whoops! Just saw it mentioned on the 6" thread.

Beast
02-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Maybe this was mention elsewhere, but they also said that there are no PT figures to be made either.

Edit:Whoops! Just saw it mentioned on the 6" thread.

It's not "No PT." Just a smaller emphasis on the PT. Since they're turning the focus to the Rebels and the OT...

As they lead into the upcoming Episode 7 film. Which makes sense given the films take place after the OT.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-19-2014, 06:45 PM
JTA's reporting is absolutely ridiculous on this matter (this is hardly "tragic"), but it makes a good amount of sense. Obviously they're going to be focusing on the new films and TV shows starting in the near future, so if they're going to make figures from pre-existing media, I would much prefer it be from the films (and Clone Wars, when possible) and not the EU. As with everything Hasbro says and does, I'm sure things will change years down the line, but for now (as someone who's not particularly a fan of most of the EU) I see no problem with this.

Lord Malakite
02-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Since they're turning the focus to the Rebels and the OT...
Makes sense from a business standpoint when it comes to the casual fans and newcomers. My only real problem with this as a long time fan/collector is that the OT has virtually nothing left to offer me in the modern toy line (in the original 3.75 scale anyway) that hasn't already been done (and/or redone; possibly multiple times) that I don't already own. These are honestly the only OT things that pop into my mind that still interest me at this point: Tonnika Sister Brea and/or Senni, Imperial Dignitary Sim Aloo, Reegesk, Treva Horme, Spirit Yoda (done in the updated modern spirit style), Sabastian Shaw Anakin Spirit (done in the updated modern spirit style), Hayden Christensen Anakin Spirit (done in the classic blue/hologram spirit style).

OC47151
02-19-2014, 07:24 PM
After seeing all the cool stuff at Toy Fair and then reading this article, I was bummed. Disappointed but not surprised. Nothing from Hasbro surprises me anymore.

Here's my thought: with the increased popularity of 3D printers, I can see creative types designing head sculpts and parts and selling them online and at toy conventions and such. I bought some custom unpainted resin heads at the GI Joe Con last year, and we're already seeing fans produce the cantina bar, cantina chairs, Hoth doorsways via 3D printers. Before ROTS came out, a few people were selling resin phase 2 clone trooper helmets for figures. The quality of these items is only going to get better.

LTBasker
02-19-2014, 09:35 PM
That's somewhat disappointing to hear, although my EU interests are fairly limited. I'm most curious if this also includes a ban on SotE since that was a whole thing devised by Lucasfilm, as well as video games developed by Lucasarts?

I'm holding out a miniscule bit of hope that a rerelease of the Phase 1 Dark Trooper may still be possible.

Maradona
02-19-2014, 11:22 PM
This is unfortunate, as I held out hope for the TRU wave of EU to somehow see rereleasing. I was unable to get most of that wave and would have liked to get a chance to pick them up without paying secondary market prices. On top of that, I lost track of the comic packs after a while and am sure I missed several. Alas, this all just adds to the anticipation for the new films...

JediTricks
02-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Disney is trying to control the message, but ultimately the TBS line isn't about building message, it's about sating existing fans, and in that respect there's absolutely no reason not to give the consumer what he or she wants. There's a Darth Plagueis figure on the market now (allegedly), it's hotly demanded by those in the know, why would that be off-limits? What possible damage to the message could that serve? It's showing that Disney doesn't yet understand the pre-existing market that they inherited when they brought the brand.

Beast
02-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Disney is trying to control the message, but ultimately the TBS line isn't about building message, it's about sating existing fans, and in that respect there's absolutely no reason not to give the consumer what he or she wants. There's a Darth Plagueis figure on the market now (allegedly), it's hotly demanded by those in the know, why would that be off-limits? What possible damage to the message could that serve? It's showing that Disney doesn't yet understand the pre-existing market that they inherited when they brought the brand.

It's not Disney. It's Lucasfilm. Disney pretty much lets both Marvel and Lucasfilm run independently.

That's how it's been ever since Disney bought Marvel. They don't dictate things if they're profitable.

El Chuxter
02-20-2014, 08:19 PM
The bottom line, whatever Disney/LFL says is canon, everyone has the freedom to decide for themselves what they consider canon. Disney says Mara Jade never existed? Come to my house, burn my books, chop up my toys, and convince me of that. :)

Beast
02-20-2014, 08:45 PM
The bottom line, whatever Disney/LFL says is canon, everyone has the freedom to decide for themselves what they consider canon. Disney says Mara Jade never existed? Come to my house, burn my books, chop up my toys, and convince me of that. :)
She's a fictional character. So technically she never did exist. But regardless she was never official canon.

bigbarada
02-20-2014, 08:49 PM
The thing about that statement from JTA is that it's not a direct quote from Hasbro. It's actually JTA's overdramatic interpretation of what Hasbro said regarding the EU. I would like to know exactly what Hasbro said, because JTA might be reading stuff into Hasbro's statement that's not intended to be there.

I'm not saying this because I want EU figures, but when we start getting EU figures again in a few years, then someone's going to gripe about how Hasbro was lying about EU being off-limits, when that might not be the case at all.

So, maybe someone who gets a chance to interview Hasbro in the future can ask for a clarification on this.

El Chuxter
02-20-2014, 09:04 PM
She's not real?

Then who the hell's been sending me cease-and-desist letters all these years?

Just saying, if DC says Flashpoint destroys the previous DCU, my comic books say otherwise.

Tycho
02-21-2014, 09:26 AM
I thought I posted about this.

I'll come back to it later.

My rant might have been in various other threads or on another site.

Tycho
02-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Oh - I think I made my statements on this site in a news post. I think.

Some figures that we "ought to get" that we may never see will now include Zayne Carrick and Nomi Sunrider, Anakin Solo, Jaina and Jacen in other wardrobe changes (Darth Caedus, a tan jumpsuit Jaina, or black Jedi robes one - as X=wing Pilot Jaina is easily enough customed).

I also see some prequel characters like Tey How and Cliegg Lars, not to mention a lot of MAIN CHARACTER (sort of) Padme outfits still not made.

This is fairly disappointing.

Beast
02-21-2014, 10:33 AM
The thing about that statement from JTA is that it's not a direct quote from Hasbro. It's actually JTA's overdramatic interpretation of what Hasbro said regarding the EU. I would like to know exactly what Hasbro said, because JTA might be reading stuff into Hasbro's statement that's not intended to be there.

I'm not saying this because I want EU figures, but when we start getting EU figures again in a few years, then someone's going to gripe about how Hasbro was lying about EU being off-limits, when that might not be the case at all.

So, maybe someone who gets a chance to interview Hasbro in the future can ask for a clarification on this.
The Q&A answer isn't presented with JTA's over-dramatic interpretation. So take that as you will.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-21-2014, 12:57 PM

I agree. That's why I like to present the interviews as they were conducted (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/02/15/sirstevesguides-hasbro-interview-from-toy-fair-2014/) without hyperbolic, the-sky-is-falling statements, so Hasbro can speak for themselves and we can have a record of what was said.

This whole situation seems similar to how Lucasfilm declared the 2003-2005 Clone Wars microseries to be off-limits so as to focus on the 2008-2014 CGI series – but even then, we had an entire send-off wave of great figures dedicated to the microseries at the launch of the TV series in 2008. The truth of the matter is, a lot of fans don't follow these things anywhere near as closely as we do, and having figures of Luke's wife and Han and Leia's kids is only going to confuse the issue when those exact characters don't show up in the new films (even though "Luke's wife" is currently in stores).

I'm lucky in that the only EU figure I still need is Bastila Shan, and she's being re-released in The Black Series this year.

Devo
02-22-2014, 11:06 AM
As an OT man not bothered by this news in the least.

JediTricks
02-22-2014, 05:09 PM
It's not Disney. It's Lucasfilm. Disney pretty much lets both Marvel and Lucasfilm run independently.

That's how it's been ever since Disney bought Marvel. They don't dictate things if they're profitable.And if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Oh - I think I made my statements on this site in a news post. I think.

Some figures that we "ought to get" that we may never see will now include Zayne Carrick and Nomi Sunrider, Anakin Solo, Jaina and Jacen in other wardrobe changes (Darth Caedus, a tan jumpsuit Jaina, or black Jedi robes one - as X=wing Pilot Jaina is easily enough customed).

I also see some prequel characters like Tey How and Cliegg Lars, not to mention a lot of MAIN CHARACTER (sort of) Padme outfits still not made.

This is fairly disappointing.I didn't see one come up in the news or in the recent posts, so perhaps it was another site entirely.

Anyway, yeah, it's odd to see DisneyLucas close so many doors on the collectors.

I can't give you anything on Padme though, there's a mountain of her outfits already made as figures and not one of them has sold well, if it came down to yet another dull Padme costume figure or Tey How or Cliegg Lars, I'd choose the latter.

Beast
02-22-2014, 06:03 PM
And if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.
Given I have friends in the industry... I know that nothing has changed how Marvel operates.

Why do you think they're still independent companies and have non-Disney people running them?

Lord Malakite
02-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Anyway, yeah, it's odd to see DisneyLucas close so many doors on the collectors.
At least it hasn't gotten to Disney Power Rangers level bad... yet.

Tycho
02-26-2014, 01:56 AM
I can't give you anything on Padme though, there's a mountain of her outfits already made as figures and not one of them has sold well, if it came down to yet another dull Padme costume figure or Tey How or Cliegg Lars, I'd choose the latter.

The thing is I don't want to buy her white arena outfit.

Looking bright and good on the black card could be her yellow waterfalls dress or from ROTS, her silver / purple Senate scene.

I agree - she's either a novelty buy or a "Let's get bright / flashy colors" impulse for some. (Yet they made Yarna!)

For me of course, it's a diorama-completest thing.

Just to regard "my interest in Padme" for a moment with everyone pretending it has merit -

TPM is "out," so with AOTC and ROTS, why keep making her same outfits (even if from action scenes)? Some of her still-unmade-outfits are colorful and interesting (AOTC moreso than ROTS) and you'[re right: I'd love Cliegg Lars but he is not an "action scene guy," unless they package him with a removeable leg and blaster rifle - so you can recreate "before and after" he tries to save Shmi from the Tuskens.

(In added scenes to the AOTC novel, it's said the Tuskens stretched micro-filament wire across a narrow canyon entrance and the farmers with Cliegg were cut up riding Swoop bikes through it. Most died, the Tuskens shot the rest. Cliegg only lost his leg and Owen rescued him. It wasn't much of a fight.)

Anyway, most cantina aliens like Hem Dazon are awesome and not "action scene" figures just like Padme's appearance in her Senator outfit (Palpatine's office opening) and greeting Anakin and Obi-Wan in her apartment later that afternoon.

Padme can keep her mini-blaster to make her an "action figure" and interesting to a broader audience than myself who wants her but wouid not display her with a blaster. However, I'm not buying figures of her already made. Just wait. They'll next reissue the Mustafar figure when the hair-in-buns figure we voted for on this site could be nostalgically interesting from ROTS, as would "Ruminitions" if only that "Natalie's" long beautiful hair is worn down and she's more a girl in that outfit, than in her Senate appearance.

I think most of you here would buy it: she's a "main character" and this would be a new version of her.

TPM? Pod-racers, Tey How, PK-Droids, Panaka and Naboo soldier variants, Senators (esp. Anaconda Farr since he had a role in Clone Wars), and Tiikes since he's an unmade Separatist. (We're sick of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon - and have access to Maul...and no, we're sort of sick of TPM).

bigbarada
02-26-2014, 03:05 AM
Given I have friends in the industry... I know that nothing has changed how Marvel operates.

Yeah, Disney has done a pretty good job of leaving Marvel alone to do their own thing.

However, if Disney really is sticking their fingers in Marvel's pie and they are the ones who forced Marvel to do things like bring the Original X-Men back into the main Marvel timeline, then all I have to say to that is, "HOORAY FOR DISNEY!" :D

RendarStillLives
02-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Am I the only one who gets tired of the prototype by design mentality of our culture? Lizzy McGuire, Hannah Montanna, etc. Transformers Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Animated, Prime. What's the obsession to push other media to conform? I mean Spider-Man 3 comes out and there's a push to put Peter Parker back in black in the comics though Mary Jane is traumatized by the outfit because of Venom. The comics got along fine for years but that movie is just one movie and that trilogy is now being replaced by a new one. Or the several attempts to kill MJ off or make her and Peter's marriage never exist because he is more "interesting" to write as a single guy. To me it's just lazy writing and before all the ret-cons in comics in the 2000's franchises thrived for decades. Why mess with a formula that's been around for thirty plus years? I didn't start reading the Incredible Hulk at issue number 1 in the 80's. I jumped on at whatever the current issue count was and went and bought back issues that were just as enjoyable as the current ones at the time. Argue that I need to move on and Let go and I will say there is no argument because I am saying move forward instead of rehashing the same thing over and over.

Michael Stackpole was able to shoe horn Corran into the Jedi Academy (get it?). Geoff Johns (or however you spell his name) has done some really cool things with Green Lantern. Slight changes that made some sense out of cliche' concepts but not like rewriting or dismissing everything that came before. The Clone Wars I enjoy but Darth Maul coming back and (in the novel) Plagueous apparently having been around during most of TPM, I'm sorry but outside of the significance of Qui-gon discovering Anakin, is there really anything that makes that movie a relevant highlight in Star Wars lore anymore? I thought Plagueous was cleverly inserted but it also takes away from Palpatines thunder as the mastermind and badass we all thought he was. It makes Darth Maul no more than an errand boy to real Sith Lords. Mandalorians were once a nomadic culture of farmers and journeyman protectors before having a queen and being a peace loving folk. Boba was supposed to be the last Mandalorian but now he is a clone. Jango was supposed to be special because he was the last super commando and the clones based on him but clearly that didn't stick. They can't even keep things from the last few years cannon and that pattern is bound to end up in a complete revamp of the entire franchise after this trilogy. Either remaking the prequels to fit their new trilogy or completely redoing all Star Wars entirely. Then when the fans are so divided that they can cherry pick more than they do already it will be revamp after revamp like Transformers, Batman and Spider-man have become. The fan base gets smaller and smaller and more divided. Eventually not enough will care about Star Wars as a whole but just their preferred version of it. Does anyone besides me see the dominoes tipping over?

Hasbro thinks kids drive sales, I agree, to a point. I myself a father of five am reluctant to buy my kids a hundred plus AT-AT so they can break or lose pieces in weeks. I asked my wife the other day why my youngest was so obsessed with Batman and not Spider-Man. Not that I have a preference but just curious why his horizons weren't more broad. My wife pointed out he likes Star Wars and Batman more because that is the bulk of his toys and video games. It's what he is exposed to. So I think Hasbro and others underestimate that adult collectors who are parents get the final say and if we don't feel a product justifies the money it won't be bought. Or that we are responsible for exposing our kids to the franchises they want to emulate and want toys and games for.

As far as the EU goes, I love it. Outside of the OT, the novels are my favorite. Same with those who want cantina aliens, Jabba's entourage or TCW. This is how politics work. It doesn't affect me so I don't care...until it does affect me because the line keeps getting pushed further back and pretty soon you don't have the numbers to fight back or make a stand because you've already tossed your fellow fans under the bus just because they loved a different part of Star Wars than you did. I'm sure the EU could have sold better if most releases of characters weren't sold during the first quarter drag when retailers don't order anything. You want proof? Go on Amazon or Ebay and look how Ezar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma are fetching $300 or Jaina and Jacen going for $70 each. Tholme and Tra' Saa, Darth Krayte, Roland, Jareal, Jaster, Montross, etc. They're not worth that kind of money to me but clearly the demand is there and there are people willing to shell out that kind of money or they would be going for a lot cheaper. If I could choose to keep only one figure in my collection it would probably be my Corran Horn and Whistler two pack. I bought it for $17 at retail, currently goes for over a hundred on the second market in spite of being a re-issued Luke with a new head and a re-painted R2-D2.

I hope the new movies, shows, games, books and comics are enjoyable but it isn't likely going to be the love affair I've had with Star Wars for the last thirty some years. There's just no way! Argue that it's always been about merchandise or there is no room for creative freedom for writers but that's what people had been doing the twenty years between the OT and PT. I will regret if I never get the chance to own Nomi Sunrider, Anakin Solo, Tahiri Veila, Mara and Corran in Jedi robes, Vestara Khai or Siri Tachi as Zora. People would buy those figures purely because they look interesting or are cross-eyed from seeing all the Vader's and Clones on pegs (breath of fresh air). Lord knows I would buy a figure just because it looked cool regardless of the knowledge about a character's back story. Kit Fisto, Hem Dazon, Toryn Far, Clieg Lars, Bo Shek, come on! Don't get me wrong, I'd buy them but what makes these characters any more necessary or interesting than Goran Bevin or Vergere other than seconds of screen time?

Star Wars novels and comics are a great spring board to encourage kids to read. Reading inspires imagination and creativity while visual stimuli is pre-set. Seriously, if you read a book and all you see is text then you lack imagination. You're also probably someone who needs one of those coloring books that you rub a clear marker on to make the colors appear and it only works on the image instead of letting you go outside of the lines and use different colors. If that is true then you are someone content to having choices made for you. I will regret if I can no longer read new adventures about the characters I have come to know and love.

Another argument is if people really know nothing or little about EU stories then why not base movies on things like the Vong invasion or Thrawn because obviously it would be something completely new to the bulk audience. I like J.J. Abrams Star Trek. Hopefully he can pull off something similar with Star Wars.

Immitation may be the sincerest form of flattery but when they need to "revamp" and "refresh" Star Wars for a new generation, when they eventually remake the OT with a sixty year old Ewan McGregor reprising his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi, will you go see it? I admit, I might. If Disney/Hasbro/LFL really need something new and exciting and fresh and creative then by all means, start fresh with all original characters in an all new era or come up with a whole new property instead of trampling on the success of what made this franchise so popular to begin with. Legacy did it. Knights of the Old Republic did it. The New Jedi Order did it. Rebels is going to do it.

Star Wars is just a brand name now and our memories of what it used to be. Might as well put Spock in a package that says Star Wars and include a lightsaber and a robe but it's still Spock...or Leonard Nimoy in a bathrobe and a peculiar fetish. Put a Transformers logo on it and magically it's the new Galvatron. When Star Wars gets remade for the tenth time you just ain't going to care anymore because it's the same old thing in a shiny new wrapper that you don't want to keep investing in.

So in short, I agree, what I love about Star Wars isn't something anyone can take away short of burning all my collectibles but I'm too old and too in love with the Star Wars I knew to start over again.

El Chuxter
02-27-2014, 09:57 PM
The lack of enforced conformity is one reason I love IDW's Transformers comics. There's the movies, which will make a ton more money, but I doubt the decision to, say, have Megatron himself join the Autobots and (apparently) lead a quest into space to find ancient Cybertronians had anything to do with Age of Extinction. And there's no indication the war (ended for a few years) is going to start back up this summer because Hasbro and Paramount are worried that people might get confused if they leave the theater and go to the comic shop.

Unfortunately, that's the way comics and films used to be, and, like you said, they try too hard to dumb things down now by making everything conform to the movies.

RendarStillLives
02-27-2014, 10:47 PM
The lack of enforced conformity is one reason I love IDW's Transformers comics. There's the movies, which will make a ton more money, but I doubt the decision to, say, have Megatron himself join the Autobots and (apparently) lead a quest into space to find ancient Cybertronians had anything to do with Age of Extinction. And there's no indication the war (ended for a few years) is going to start back up this summer because Hasbro and Paramount are worried that people might get confused if they leave the theater and go to the comic shop.

Unfortunately, that's the way comics and films used to be, and, like you said, they try too hard to dumb things down now by making everything conform to the movies.

You make a good point. I'm not saying the new material will completely suck, in fact, it may very well be enjoyable but take Beast Wars, it was something done well for it's time and didn't step on any toes. As far as IDW goes, I was reluctant to get on board at first because of what happened with Dreamwave. I ended up auctioning everything but the profile books because it was a lost cause. Same thing with MOTU 200X. Still wish I could hunt down the War & Peace hardcover. The new stuff from IDW interests me. MTMTE looks kind of goofy but fun and RID seems well written. I have been holding out for the hardcover collection though because why spend my money twice? But also, the rich characters and history now established by IDW makes it all look more worth while to invest in as it doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon.

I was referring more to the shows pertaining to Transformers and comic books that cater to the movies. People who read the comics are likely already sold on the movie. People who go see the movie aren't likely going to be driven to the local comic book store. So why use the comic as advertisement?

My beef is mostly with all the thousands of dollars one might spend on their PS3 or 360, new systems come out faster and faster while current games are still relevant or have a high replay value but get the new system and having the need to replace your library of games. I'm only going to do it so many times before I realize it is a limited or finite investment. Hopefully Star Wars won't be messed with too much and it's more like tweaks than taking characters or events and completely scrubbing them. I liked Abrams Star Trek movies but to be honest, I didn't care for Star Trek much at all in the first place so my expectations weren't very high to begin with.

bigbarada
02-27-2014, 10:49 PM
You want proof? Go on Amazon or Ebay and look how Ezar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma are fetching $300 or Jaina and Jacen going for $70 each. Tholme and Tra' Saa, Darth Krayte, Roland, Jareal, Jaster, Montross, etc. They're not worth that kind of money to me but clearly the demand is there and there are people willing to shell out that kind of money or they would be going for a lot cheaper.

Are you sure that's what they are actually selling for or is it just the price that the sellers are asking? Because, they are two completely different things. I can look up just about anything on eBay or Amazon and find one seller charging a ridiculously inflated price and another seller charging a much lower, more reasonable price. That doesn't mean that the inflated price is an accurate gauge of the item's popularity. So you have to be really careful that you don't mistake the prices set by speculators for the actual secondary-market value of an item.

I will regret if I can no longer read new adventures about the characters I have come to know and love.

I would love to see a continuation of Jann Tosh's story from the Droids cartoon. After several episodes of following his adventures on the show, he just walks off screen to go join the Academy and we never hear from him again. I've been waiting nearly 30 years for the rest of his story to be told and I'm pretty convinced that's never going to happen.

So, I can understand your frustration at the news that the adventures may be ending for many of your favorite characters, but I also know for a fact that you will get over it and move on with your life.

Tycho
02-28-2014, 02:48 AM
BigBarada: I liked Jann Tosh, too. Also the Speeder Racing Team with Thal and Jord, and Kea Moll's role in the Rebellion.

I loved and agree with RendarStillLives' post. Awesome bro!

I think they can make Ep. 7-9 NOT being based on the books, but refer to them as Mara was Ben Skywalker's mother and Jaina Solo (Fel?) once had a twin brother with whose relationship scarred her forever (alluding to the death of Darth Caedus) and explaining why Han and Leia are raising a Jedi grand-daughter (Allanah).

And TOTJ (the legacy of Ulic Qel Droma) was pretty much better than the entire 6-movie package that is out there now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-28-2014, 03:51 PM
The thing is I don't want to buy her white arena outfit.

Looking bright and good on the black card could be her yellow waterfalls dress or from ROTS, her silver / purple Senate scene.

I agree - she's either a novelty buy or a "Let's get bright / flashy colors" impulse for some. (Yet they made Yarna!)

For me of course, it's a diorama-completest thing.
I'm a diorama guy and a completist, and I like good upgrades, so Padmé hits all those marks for me. She's just way more realistic than the 2002 ripped-abs version and fits in with the other figures so much better. I, too, want more Padmé figures – they really do brighten up displays that are otherwise filled with tons of characters wearing white, black, and brown. So while I still want never-before-made versions, I'm glad to get figures like the arena battle version as well since they have merit as well. Now that TPM has been covered (aside from her Senate cloak and a specific Padmé in the orange handmaiden gown), hopefully they'll get around to at least a few more of her AOTC and ROTS looks, though that's looking less and less likely with the new shows and movies coming out, and I think you and I are the only people who ever ask for them. :p

The Clone Wars I enjoy but Darth Maul coming back and (in the novel) Plagueous apparently having been around during most of TPM, I'm sorry but outside of the significance of Qui-gon discovering Anakin, is there really anything that makes that movie a relevant highlight in Star Wars lore anymore? I thought Plagueous was cleverly inserted but it also takes away from Palpatines thunder as the mastermind and badass we all thought he was. It makes Darth Maul no more than an errand boy to real Sith Lords.
I'm not a huge follower of the EU but Darth Plagueis was probably my favorite EU book I've read and I also had the same issues you did. I was glad that Palpatine's monologue while he was killing Plagueis showed Palpatine as the true mastermind and the one in control, so that cleared that point up for me. But yeah, having Plagueis around during the entire time Maul was a Sith apprentice was not a decision I would have made and I disagree with it. I would have preferred having Plagueis and Sidious as master and apprentice while Sidious secretly begins to raise Maul, since it rings true with how the Sith lords operate throughout other stories (see: Asajj Ventress, Starkiller, Luke Skywalker). And it wasn't even like Plagueis had much to do during the events of TPM, so it felt a little unnecessary other than adding some shock value. But I really enjoyed the characterization and story arc that The Clone Wars provided for Darth Maul, so that made up for the novel knocking him down a few pegs, IMO.

Mandalorians were once a nomadic culture of farmers and journeyman protectors before having a queen and being a peace loving folk.
I know this was a huge point of contention for EU Mandalorian fans, but the show did conclude with the Duchess being overthrown and the culture returning to its warrior past. It was just a snapshot of the planet Mandalore during this part of the Clone Wars, not a re-writing of its entire history.

They can't even keep things from the last few years cannon and that pattern is bound to end up in a complete revamp of the entire franchise after this trilogy. Either remaking the prequels to fit their new trilogy or completely redoing all Star Wars entirely. Then when the fans are so divided that they can cherry pick more than they do already it will be revamp after revamp like Transformers, Batman and Spider-man have become. The fan base gets smaller and smaller and more divided. Eventually not enough will care about Star Wars as a whole but just their preferred version of it. Does anyone besides me see the dominoes tipping over?
But the EU was never the same canon as the films, and the films have never been beholden to the EU. As you pointed out, there were already examples in the films of the story not matching up with the EU, and this was since George wanted to tell the story he wanted to tell without someone else's vision of his universe getting in his way. This goes back as far as ESB not lining up with Splinter of the Mind's Eye, so it's not something new for the prequels or TCW, it's just that there's been so much more material in the intervening years that there are just bound to be more contradictions.

This also means that there are bound to be more people interested in different aspects, since there are just so mind-bogglingly many aspects to SW. In 1977, if you said you liked Star Wars, you were talking about one movie and everyone knew what you meant. But now that there are six saga films (with three on the way), three spinoff films (with at least two on the way), three animated series (with one on the way), TV specials, movie novelizations, standalone novels, series novels, young adult novels, kids' books, short stories (seriously, just look at the ridiculous number of entries in the Essential Reader's Companion, (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Essential_Reader%27s_Companion) which doesn't even cover comics), 10 years of Marvel comics, 20 years of Dark Horse comics (with over 80 different series (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Horse_Comics)), and video games (around 70 of them developed or licensed by LucasArts (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/LucasArts)). Not to mention the myriad ways that fans engage themselves, whether through collecting (vintage Kenner, or modern Hasbro, or Sideshow, or Gentle Giant, or Kotobukiya, or LEGO, etc.), costuming, conventions, fan groups, or just sitting on the couch and watching the films. And there's no physically possible way that anyone can see, read, and play all of it. The experience, interest, and level of engagement of one SW fan is not the same as another. There's no "eventually," that's already here. Go look at the Facebook comments on any random official Star Wars post and you'll see people moaning about how something doesn't fit their version of Star Wars, like video game fans absolutely losing their minds that "Korriban" is now called "Moraband" on a TV show they weren't even watching in the first place.

I just wish people would focus on the aspects that interest them and not get too worried about aspects that don't.

Really though, very nice post, RendarStillLives!

I would love to see a continuation of Jann Tosh's story from the Droids cartoon. After several episodes of following his adventures on the show, he just walks off screen to go join the Academy and we never hear from him again. I've been waiting nearly 30 years for the rest of his story to be told and I'm pretty convinced that's never going to happen.

So, I can understand your frustration at the news that the adventures may be ending for many of your favorite characters, but I also know for a fact that you will get over it and move on with your life.
This even happened with The Clone Wars due to it being cancelled before several characters' stories were finished in the way they were planned. So I hope to see some of them in Rebels, or in more comics like they're doing for Maul, or somewhere. Patience is a Jedi trait, after all, and it can still pay off – I've been wondering about Sifo-Dyas for literally half my life at this point, and I'm going to get answers in only one week thanks to TCW Season Six coming to Netflix. And if these answers never come and characters never reappear, I can just go back to the stories with them that I already loved and relive the fun with them.

RendarStillLives
03-01-2014, 04:50 AM
Are you sure that's what they are actually selling for or is it just the price that the sellers are asking? Because, they are two completely different things. I can look up just about anything on eBay or Amazon and find one seller charging a ridiculously inflated price and another seller charging a much lower, more reasonable price. That doesn't mean that the inflated price is an accurate gauge of the item's popularity. So you have to be really careful that you don't mistake the prices set by speculators for the actual secondary-market value of an item.

You could be right about the value but we do know those figures I stated were quite limited in their releases. Many of them retailer exclusives and I don't think there really is any denying the popularity of such characters even as far as EU goes. Yeah dealers tend to be schmucks and you'll never get near their asking price if they are buying from you. Partially because people are more willing to pay for the security a small business or third party can provide than buying from some lone stranger as myself. Still, I think the current rates are set because that's what people can get out of them. Believe me, if I can really get $300 for the Exar & Ulic comic pack, I'm kicking myself for opening them. Does anybody know if there is a guide anymore for market values on collectibles?

i appreciate it and yes, I'll move on. It's not like my life revolves around Star Wars and only that but Star Wars is something else compared to other franchises. It touches on science, religion, politics, ethics and so much more. There are many gems in the stories that can be applied to real life and for me, a father of five, not poor, not wealthy and little free time, it was my escape from the worries and woes of every day life. It's a loss. Maybe not a huge loss but it's still a blow.

BigBarada: I liked Jann Tosh, too. Also the Speeder Racing Team with Thal and Jord, and Kea Moll's role in the Rebellion.

I loved and agree with RendarStillLives' post. Awesome bro!

I think they can make Ep. 7-9 NOT being based on the books, but refer to them as Mara was Ben Skywalker's mother and Jaina Solo (Fel?) once had a twin brother with whose relationship scarred her forever (alluding to the death of Darth Caedus) and explaining why Han and Leia are raising a Jedi grand-daughter (Allanah).

And TOTJ (the legacy of Ulic Qel Droma) was pretty much better than the entire 6-movie package that is out there now.

Thanks. I feel sheepish to admit how much time I spent on it without trying to sound too *****y and whiny. Cause I still feel it came off that way. I was trying to bring up relevant arguments as to why things such as cherry picking something that's been around for decades needs to be basically scrapped except for the original source material.

Seriously, who wouldn't want to see the Thrawn trilogy brought to life on the big screen? Or the Vong invasion? I mean even though we know what happens, we would all still go see it. For those who really only care for the TV and movies, it might actually turn em on to EU and they might start seeing what us EU fans love so much about the characters. As I kind of pointed out, Boba Fett and Kit Fisto grew from background characters with little or no speaking roles at all. Kind of tired of hearing "give it a chance" from people who haven't given the EU a chance. Pot calling the kettle black. It's a tad frustrating. And people that have only ever seen the movies, they can't hate what they don't know even exists.

I wanna agree with that but the OT is still at the core of it for me. That was my childhood. Pretending the bathtub was the trash compactor and whenever I had to visit someone in the hospital, running around those mirror polished floors like it was the Death Star or Cloud City. I don't know if they were action fleet or what but I remember having these little die-cast figures and echo base that I would play in the snow with. But in my opinion, the tragedy of Ulic Qel-Droma would have made a better prequel trilogy and the NJO would make a great follow up trilogy. My personal favorite three eras of Star Wars.

I'm a diorama guy and a completist, and I like good upgrades, so Padmé hits all those marks for me. She's just way more realistic than the 2002 ripped-abs version and fits in with the other figures so much better. I, too, want more Padmé figures – they really do brighten up displays that are otherwise filled with tons of characters wearing white, black, and brown. So while I still want never-before-made versions, I'm glad to get figures like the arena battle version as well since they have merit as well. Now that TPM has been covered (aside from her Senate cloak and a specific Padmé in the orange handmaiden gown), hopefully they'll get around to at least a few more of her AOTC and ROTS looks, though that's looking less and less likely with the new shows and movies coming out, and I think you and I are the only people who ever ask for them.

I agree. She kind of stands out color wise amongst all the drab colors. I would still like to see her in that multi colored orangish yellow dress...from her and Anakin's kiss at the lake scene if I remember correctly as well as a better version of her Tatooine dress than we got. The newest version we got from Geonosis was a good attempt but the quality of the paint application is just awful. I haven't found a version yet that doesn't make her look like a corpse.

I'm not a huge follower of the EU but Darth Plagueis was probably my favorite EU book I've read and I also had the same issues you did. I was glad that Palpatine's monologue while he was killing Plagueis showed Palpatine as the true mastermind and the one in control, so that cleared that point up for me. But yeah, having Plagueis around during the entire time Maul was a Sith apprentice was not a decision I would have made and I disagree with it. I would have preferred having Plagueis and Sidious as master and apprentice while Sidious secretly begins to raise Maul, since it rings true with how the Sith lords operate throughout other stories (see: Asajj Ventress, Starkiller, Luke Skywalker). And it wasn't even like Plagueis had much to do during the events of TPM, so it felt a little unnecessary other than adding some shock value. But I really enjoyed the characterization and story arc that The Clone Wars provided for Darth Maul, so that made up for the novel knocking him down a few pegs, IMO.

Eh. Sidious's monologue, immediately that famous Star Wars quote "delusions of grandure" popped in my head. Lol. Don't misunderstand me, when I think of the most evil SOB in SW it's Palpatine. The dude is twisted and truly sees himself as a savior to the galaxy. His love hate relationship with Vader is very intriguing too. The badassery of him dueling Savage and Maul as if he was merely toying with his food was great and one of the few redeeming qualities of bringing Maul back. I liked the book and the character development but I just felt Plageous was played up a little bit to give him more a pivotal role at the expense of Sidious. I didn't feel it was necessary.

I know this was a huge point of contention for EU Mandalorian fans, but the show did conclude with the Duchess being overthrown and the culture returning to its warrior past. It was just a snapshot of the planet Mandalore during this part of the Clone Wars, not a re-writing of its entire history.

Really? Cause up until Atrack of the clones it was supposed to be Jango was the lone true Mandalorian. So maybe the others had been living peacefully on their own rock of isolation but I still find it a bit of a stretch to the groundwork laid out before TCW was even a twinkle in George Lucas's eye. Not impossible but it's a huge fork in the road compared with everything prior. I read Lucas pitched the Mandalore story himself. I can't help but feel some decisions he made were to get fan's goats before selling the franchise.

But the EU was never the same canon as the films, and the films have never been beholden to the EU. As you pointed out, there were already examples in the films of the story not matching up with the EU, and this was since George wanted to tell the story he wanted to tell without someone else's vision of his universe getting in his way. This goes back as far as ESB not lining up with Splinter of the Mind's Eye, so it's not something new for the prequels or TCW, it's just that there's been so much more material in the intervening years that there are just bound to be more contradictions.

Actually there were people at LFL whose sole job was to make sure things flowed together. That anything done on Clone Wars or Novels or comics was to have the official LFL stamp of approval, sometimes from George himself. The purpose of this was to avoid another Splinter of the Mond's Eye debacle and have a cohesive mythology. The comics and novels were very careful to play nice with everyone else in the sandbox and coordinate their efforts and stories. Before the prequels were even worked on it was made clear Lucas didn't want anyone telling stories about Anakin, Kenobi or the Clone Wars in case he someday wanted to make more movies. It was off limits for quite some time. If I recall correctly that's why Jorus C'Boath (Sorry. Can't keep track of how to spell all the names) was not a mad clone of Kenobi as originally intended. Also Lucas himself catered TPM to kids, AOTC as a teen romance and ROTS was supposed to be darker and for the adults. If he was telling his story, maybe he was just trying to flex his muscles but it definitely looks catered. And dare I say the most popular films weren't even directed by him or had little input from him.

This also means that there are bound to be more people interested in different aspects, since there are just so mind-bogglingly many aspects to SW. In 1977, if you said you liked Star Wars, you were talking about one movie and everyone knew what you meant. But now that there are six saga films (with three on the way), three spinoff films (with at least two on the way), three animated series (with one on the way), TV specials, movie novelizations, standalone novels, series novels, young adult novels, kids' books, short stories (seriously, just look at the ridiculous number of entries in the Essential Reader's Companion, which doesn't even cover comics), 10 years of Marvel comics, 20 years of Dark Horse comics (with over 80 different series), and video games (around 70 of them developed or licensed by LucasArts). Not to mention the myriad ways that fans engage themselves, whether through collecting (vintage Kenner, or modern Hasbro, or Sideshow, or Gentle Giant, or Kotobukiya, or LEGO, etc.), costuming, conventions, fan groups, or just sitting on the couch and watching the films. And there's no physically possible way that anyone can see, read, and play all of it. The experience, interest, and level of engagement of one SW fan is not the same as another. There's no "eventually," that's already here. Go look at the Facebook comments on any random official Star Wars post and you'll see people moaning about how something doesn't fit their version of Star Wars, like video game fans absolutely losing their minds that "Korriban" is now called "Moraband" on a TV show they weren't even watching in the first place.

Idk. Even if the prequels and Clone Wars had never been made, I'm pretty sure my kids would know what Star Wars is and want the toys. I don't think there is any denying that Star Wars was something different and magical even for twenty years with no movies, tv shows, or what have you. Even the years with no toys or video games, it was a force to be reckoned with. The 501st, they do parades and charities. Comparing it to any other property is really apples and oranges. Hell, people have dedicated churches to it. Maybe my fears are for nothing. Maybe it will be minor tweaks. But I'm afraid it's just another sell out that is going to get a reboot every several years. For me official means something otherwise I'd be reading fan-fiction where everything is up for grabs and most of it is amateur at best. I'm betting no one hear would read a Star Wars novel by me but but that little LFL logo on the dust cover and sell it at the book store or have a movie or cartoon made officially and it becomes something more than just me at the kitchen table blogging.

I just wish people would focus on the aspects that interest them and not get too worried about aspects that don't.

Dude! Really? The EU is a large part of what interests me about Star Wars! You may not be a big fan of it but I am. I could care about the Prequels or Clone Wars as much as you do about the EU. As you have said, you enjoy some of the EU but it's not a big deal to you. For me, if it's true major stories or characters will be thrown out, it's a loss. Let me grieve. Why argue when it's not even something you yourself are not passionate about? You know I rarely even chime in on a discussion, usually pertaining to EU or the action figures. I'm sorry but I find it difficult to get excited about anything Star Wars in the last couple years. The toy distribution is horrid, not to mention quality control, barely any new figures that haven't been done to death because costs have risen to a point in a rotten economy that they can't justify more than half a dozen new figures a year and need to repackage old ones, there are no new FX sabers, my books are on indefinite hiatus and may be considered obsolete fiction, the second market value on books and toys is bad enough but now it's gonna sky rocket when there is a run on all things guaranteed to never see future release increasing their rarity, I could go on. I'm practically begging them to take my money! With Rebels and the new movies hopefully a lot of that will change but I just can't shake the feeling things will go from bad to worse because they have been. I don't need super articulated figures but the new five point figures aren't ringing the nostalgia bell for me and the new vehicles are a joke. It's a push to cut down on tooling and sculpt to save a buck. I'd gladly pay a price increase rather than paying the price increase and getting inferior product.

Really though, very nice post, RendarStillLives![/QUOTE]

Thanks. As I said, I really didn't want to come off so negative and I hope all the fuss is over small things rather than entire characters or events being tossed to the Sarlac, and it's probably a bridge that shouldn't be burnt until we get to it. I guess I'd rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Better to be pleasantly surprised than get my hopes up just to be disappointed. To be honest, I didn't even think posting in the first place would be worth the effort but in the hopes LFL or Disney does read these forums to gauge what fan reaction may be, if the voices of the community are loud enough, they might take it to heart and not mess with it too much. I see benefits to redoing things so they flow even more cohesively together but I am hoping and praying if they do make big changes that they stick with it for another thirty years instead of needing a newer, edgier fresh take every ten years. There's a difference between a one night stand and investing in something deeper for the last twenty years. Believe me when I say I want the commitment.

This even happened with The Clone Wars due to it being cancelled before several characters' stories were finished in the way they were planned. So I hope to see some of them in Rebels, or in more comics like they're doing for Maul, or somewhere. Patience is a Jedi trait, after all, and it can still pay off – I've been wondering about Sifo-Dyas for literally half my life at this point, and I'm going to get answers in only one week thanks to TCW Season Six coming to Netflix. And if these answers never come and characters never reappear, I can just go back to the stories with them that I already loved and relive the fun with them.

Sifo-Dyas did play somewhat of a role in the Darth Plagueous book. So did Qui-Gon. It was great to get a little more back story on them. And you'll be happy to know I am excited for Rebels. The Clone Wars era just seemed way too over saturated with content and I have been looking forward to the Rebellion Era that hasn't really been touched upon as much.

Beast
03-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Yeah, Disney has done a pretty good job of leaving Marvel alone to do their own thing.

However, if Disney really is sticking their fingers in Marvel's pie and they are the ones who forced Marvel to do things like bring the Original X-Men back into the main Marvel timeline, then all I have to say to that is, "HOORAY FOR DISNEY!" :D
Nah. That was all Bendis. And I agree that it's been pretty awesome sauce in general.

Reminds me why I liked the O5 so much originally. Since most of their modern selves are unlikeable.

Especially Cyclops. After all the crap he's done like abandoning his wife and child and now killing Xavier.

Tycho
03-05-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm still mad that more EU figures (and even vehicles) will not be made. PT vehicles (like the Gungan Bongo Sub) too.

Also OT big stuff, like Jabba's Sailbarge should be made - with hopefully an appearance in Rebels advancing that possibility.

I'm buying so little SW, with no plans to buy Rebels stuff, that not until Ep. 7 will I have m hobby truly back.

Good time to save money, though. I have my own start-up business' expenses.

However, this hobby is almost OVER for me literally.

I bought like 2 items last year I think. (Though I bought a good amount of old stuff I found bargains on which I wanted to add to dioramas I hope to build - filler aliens, figures for customs, what-not.)

I am not one of the people who will "sell my collection - or any part of it" because there's nothing new for me to buy in the hobby - for nearly 12 months out of every year now (yeah - I know 12 months IS a year). But I am bored.

Did I mention I was bored? (with the offerings.)

By the way, I also feel bored.

From my online dictionary:

bore2 [bawr, bohr]

verb (used with object), bored, bor·ing.

to weary by dullness, tedious repetition, unwelcome attentions, etc.: The long speech bored me.

noun

a dull, tiresome, or uncongenial person. [or hobby]

a cause of ennui or petty annoyance: repetitious tasks that are a bore to do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Synonyms
1. fatigue, tire, annoy.

[As in annoyed (bored) by Hasbro Star Wars offerings in 2013-14.]

Right now Star Wars collecting is dead to me.

OK - it's not for everyone here, but I'd get all excited by

Nomi Sunrider
Mandalorians from TOTJ or KOTOR eras
Zayne Carrick
Gryph (Snivvian)
Noghri
Guri
Anakin Solo
Tahiri
Droma
Yvetha
Siri
kid-Obi-Wan
Xanatos
Kyp Durron
Yuuzhan Vong army builder
Corran Horn (Jedi)
Darth Caedus
CW Palpatine, Onaconda Far, Bail Organa, new Padme Senator, Dutchess Satine, Riff Tamsen, Trandoshans, Night Sisters

Xiro The Hutt

CW vehicles like The Twilight, Jedi "angel fish" transport, Trandoshan hunter skiffs, Hondo's tank and star fighters

OT vehicles like Jabba's Sailbarge
PT vehicles like Gungan Bongo Sub, Radiant VII

EU vehicles like the Nebulon Ranger (Master Arca's / Ulic Qel Droma's) and Exar Kun's Starstorm-One, plus Chiss Claw Craft

Look. I - am - bored.

Problem? How much can Hasbro make on the margin producing what I want? (probably not enough with their current production model). They recently adapted it to make Jocasta Nu - a figure like Cliegg Lars that I wanted - and bought 2 of (I'd buy 2 Cliegg's - 3 if they gave him a "before-he-lost-his-leg" option with the accessories to do a "Tusken Raid" scene with Owen.)

So do you think Hasbro could adapt it's business model to do more stuff like the Brian's Toys Exclusive Jocasta Nu? (I'd start with movie characters we're not as likely to see like Cliegg Lars, an Outlander set with Nyrat Agira and another girl and an alien (possibly also useable as like the Ithorian (Hammerhead) Senator?)

What about vehicles? Could there be Brian's Toys / Ent. Earth exclusive things as investment heavy such as The Twilight?

Or new CW exclusive figures for exclusives to make figures like Riff Tamsen? Just a fun (not especially creative - but FUN design).

The Black Series is The Boring Series for me. I'm not really getting 6" figures either except for compliments to my Unleashed:

Luke Bespin
ROTS Obi-Wan

Luke Jedi - maybe I'll wait a few years and buy him 2ndary market because I want a vested-Jabba's Sailbarge one

Snowtrooper - I'm really hoping!

I also might go "Cloud City" with the 6" and get myself Chewie, hope for 3PO, Leia Bespin (some version), Han Bespin, and Lando! That'd be cool. If I go nuts, I'll get Vader, a Fett re-release, and the stormtroopers. We won't see a Lobot 6".

But right now I'm bored with Hasbro SW.

Did I mention I was bored?

bigbarada
03-06-2014, 12:43 AM
Nah. That was all Bendis. And I agree that it's been pretty awesome sauce in general.

Reminds me why I liked the O5 so much originally. Since most of their modern selves are unlikeable.

Especially Cyclops. After all the crap he's done like abandoning his wife and child and now killing Xavier.

Yeah, I'm loving the current "Trial of Jean Grey" storyline. I think the X-Men are the most interesting when their stories aren't so mutant-centric.

I also agree about Cyclops. I don't think it's possible for him to be a likeable character anymore, at least not to me. Angel has been so ruined that I don't know what they are going to do to bring him back (aside from more time-traveling). Beast's physical form has changed so much that he feels more like a running joke than a serious comic book character. Jean Grey never should have been killed off the second time. Iceman is the only one that seems to be significantly improved compared to where he was 20 years ago.

At any rate, bringing the "pure" version of the O5 to the present is exactly what the X-books needed to sort of reset themselves to their original core values, not the weird militant extremist values that modern Cyclops was leading them with.

Beast
03-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Beast's physical form has changed so much that he feels more like a running joke than a serious comic book character.
I like his new form. It's close enough to classic "Apeman" while still being new and refreshing. Better than Cat.

bigbarada
03-06-2014, 08:28 PM
I like his new form. It's close enough to classic "Apeman" while still being new and refreshing. Better than Cat.

I agree with that. They pretty much just reverted him back to his 70s form with a more modern look. However, I was thinking about all the years of cat Beast, that no two artists wanted to draw the same way, along with the appearance of future Beast in Battle of the Atom where he had a goat horn and a lizard tail.

JediTricks
03-06-2014, 10:51 PM
You can tell Disney is pulling strings on Star Wars, they are being cited in press releases and interviews and so forth, they are making top-level calls, they are making investments and changing marketing strategies. Disney has more strings on that puppet than they do on Marvel, and how could they not? Lucasfilm was dead in the water, they had nothing coming down except more cartoons; Marvel had comics and movies and video games and cartoons to show that their management was taking that brand somewhere, of course Disney would leave them to their own successes. But the Marvel and Lucasfilm press since their respective buyouts has been very different, Lucasfilm press has had a lot of Disney management voices quoted in it, and not many of those decisions feel like they're independent places that the company was going without the buyout.

RendarStillLives
03-07-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm still mad that more EU figures (and even vehicles) will not be made. PT vehicles (like the Gungan Bongo Sub) too.

Also OT big stuff, like Jabba's Sailbarge should be made - with hopefully an appearance in Rebels advancing that possibility.

I'm buying so little SW, with no plans to buy Rebels stuff, that not until Ep. 7 will I have m hobby truly back.

Good time to save money, though. I have my own start-up business' expenses.

However, this hobby is almost OVER for me literally.

I bought like 2 items last year I think. (Though I bought a good amount of old stuff I found bargains on which I wanted to add to dioramas I hope to build - filler aliens, figures for customs, what-not.)

I am not one of the people who will "sell my collection - or any part of it" because there's nothing new for me to buy in the hobby - for nearly 12 months out of every year now (yeah - I know 12 months IS a year). But I am bored.

Did I mention I was bored? (with the offerings.)

By the way, I also feel bored.

The sail barge doesn't excite me all that much as a vehicle but I think it would be an excellent play set because it's such a memorable key scene from the films. I remember the first time seeing Jedi and "Woah! Luke has a green saber?!" Not to mention his growth throughout the trilogy, whiny cynic, impulsive heroics, then to badass with patience and wisdom. It was a pretty good payoff to see that growth. It wouldn't be complete without a Sarlac though. At least the box should be convertible to a diorama of it.

I have always been a fan of thinking of an affordable way to get a Cloud City, Echo Base or Death Star into collector hands. Like modular smaller sets for twenty or thirty dollars. Death Star chasm. Death Star Trash Compactor. Death Star throne room. Just like four sets in a wave with equal case ratios and people could buy them and attach them together to eventually build a large scale play set.

With the lack of new product, I have been going back and picking up older figures and vehicles on the second market. I have also been using my funds to invest in other hobbies. What business are you going into if you don't mind my asking?

As I have said, I don't need super articulation and neither do my kids but the five point figures are a little too much of a downgrade to justify the cost. Higher cost, less product, less accessories, less moveable parts, horrible paint apps. I don't understand how Hasbro can offer those at the cost of what we were paying for Saga Blue and Legacy Droid Factory. As it is, I won't likely invest in Rebels figures, maybe the vehicles. Hopefully with the new films Hasbro will justify an upgrade to the play pattern and give us figures that are less static and a ton of new characters to get excited about.

I don't have nearly enough space to display all my figures and I don't want them to go to waste so I have given about two thirds of my collection to my kids. Mostly all the clones and troopers from building armies with exceptions of some of my favorite takes on some. Some things I intentionally bought duplicates of so if I feel a bite from the nostalgia bug in twenty years I have some in mint condition and some things I even have triples of just because I didn't realize I had them already. I look at a lot of it and think of how I have changed over the years and all the money sunk into it and how I would spend it differently now. It was easy to spend few dollars here and there on a handful of figures or a vehicle pay check to pay check but now days I am more likely to drop a greater chunk of change on something a little nicer and more expensive. Admittedly that could be more about the product offerings than my maturity though. :-D

OK - it's not for everyone here, but I'd get all excited by

Nomi Sunrider
Mandalorians from TOTJ or KOTOR eras
Zayne Carrick
Gryph (Snivvian)
Noghri
Guri
Anakin Solo
Tahiri
Droma
Yvetha
Siri
kid-Obi-Wan
Xanatos
Kyp Durron
Yuuzhan Vong army builder
Corran Horn (Jedi)
Darth Caedus
CW Palpatine, Onaconda Far, Bail Organa, new Padme Senator, Dutchess Satine, Riff Tamsen, Trandoshans, Night Sisters

Xiro The Hutt

CW vehicles like The Twilight, Jedi "angel fish" transport, Trandoshan hunter skiffs, Hondo's tank and star fighters

OT vehicles like Jabba's Sailbarge
PT vehicles like Gungan Bongo Sub, Radiant VII

EU vehicles like the Nebulon Ranger (Master Arca's / Ulic Qel Droma's) and Exar Kun's Starstorm-One, plus Chiss Claw Craft

Look. I - am - bored.

Problem? How much can Hasbro make on the margin producing what I want? (probably not enough with their current production model). They recently adapted it to make Jocasta Nu - a figure like Cliegg Lars that I wanted - and bought 2 of (I'd buy 2 Cliegg's - 3 if they gave him a "before-he-lost-his-leg" option with the accessories to do a "Tusken Raid" scene with Owen.)

So do you think Hasbro could adapt it's business model to do more stuff like the Brian's Toys Exclusive Jocasta Nu? (I'd start with movie characters we're not as likely to see like Cliegg Lars, an Outlander set with Nyrat Agira and another girl and an alien (possibly also useable as like the Ithorian (Hammerhead) Senator?)

What about vehicles? Could there be Brian's Toys / Ent. Earth exclusive things as investment heavy such as The Twilight?

Or new CW exclusive figures for exclusives to make figures like Riff Tamsen? Just a fun (not especially creative - but FUN design).

The Black Series is The Boring Series for me. I'm not really getting 6" figures either except for compliments to my Unleashed:

Luke Bespin
ROTS Obi-Wan

Luke Jedi - maybe I'll wait a few years and buy him 2ndary market because I want a vested-Jabba's Sailbarge one

Snowtrooper - I'm really hoping!

I also might go "Cloud City" with the 6" and get myself Chewie, hope for 3PO, Leia Bespin (some version), Han Bespin, and Lando! That'd be cool. If I go nuts, I'll get Vader, a Fett re-release, and the stormtroopers. We won't see a Lobot 6".

But right now I'm bored with Hasbro SW.

Did I mention I was bored?

I would love to see a lot of that stuff myself. With the limited EU selections we have been given I am grateful. Yeah, I wish there were more Entertainment Earth comic packs. Siri Tachi and Kenobi in Ubeeze disguises from Jedi Quest, Hondo Kar in his black and gold armor with his wife, Zyne Carrick and a version of him after he becomes a Jedi. Tons of New Jedi Order characters that I think would be great. I would pay but I have my limits. I think the BMF Falcon and AT-AT were well worth the asking prices but some of the ten dollar figures, not so much. Hasbro could always do a subscription service like Mattel and that way guarantee the cost and demand are there but I wouldn't pay unless I knew the entire lineup up front and the DCUC and MOTUC are largely same parts with different heads or accessories. Still, it's an idea. Also I will argue collectors probably pull more weight than they get credit for. Kids dabble in all sorts of toys, not just Star Wars and most parents I know will by treats here and there, maybe bigger vehicles and play sets for birthdays and holidays, but they aren't troop building, buying multiples to have MOC or trying to get one of everything. If Hasbro went the collector route, the kids would still be happy and so would the collectors. Going the kid route, kids may be happy and some collectors but not everybody is winning there.

I really wanted the 6" Kenobi but seeing the photos, the cloth and plastic mix is harder to like than it was on the 3.75" figures. In fact a lot of the line up looks like scaled up versions of the figures we already have. You would think in larger scale they could hide the joints and do better sculpting but it's like the revamped ThunderCats, the 6" figures looked much the same as the 3.76" ones and I appreciated the detail in the smaller ones more because it must be more difficult to do and so when they came out with the 6" Black Series it felt lazy and nothing new except for the scale change. Plus any vehicles released will be so expensive and oversized, the figures take up a lot more shelf space. I may pick up a Mandalorian or trooper but I think if it was a Whompa or a never before released character from EU then there would be a lot more desire than a character I already own and can pose with others next to their vehicle.

bigbarada
03-07-2014, 05:22 PM
You can tell Disney is pulling strings on Star Wars, they are being cited in press releases and interviews and so forth, they are making top-level calls, they are making investments and changing marketing strategies. Disney has more strings on that puppet than they do on Marvel, and how could they not? Lucasfilm was dead in the water, they had nothing coming down except more cartoons; Marvel had comics and movies and video games and cartoons to show that their management was taking that brand somewhere, of course Disney would leave them to their own successes. But the Marvel and Lucasfilm press since their respective buyouts has been very different, Lucasfilm press has had a lot of Disney management voices quoted in it, and not many of those decisions feel like they're independent places that the company was going without the buyout.

Yeah, Marvel definitely had much more going for it when Disney bought them than any of the Lucasfilm franchises. In 2009, just before the Disney buyout, Marvel's Avengers movie franchise was already in full swing and starting to gain some serious momentum. I think if Disney had waited until after Avengers came out to buy Marvel, they would have likely had to pay much more than $4 billion for the company.

As for Disney cancelling Clone Wars, I seem to recall hearing that Clone Wars was on its last leg and about to be cancelled even before the Disney announcement.

Of course, there was also the news of Disney shutting down Lucasarts; but I think that was more about trimming the fat and eliminating a branch of the company that was no longer producing valuable content. When I heard that Lucasarts was dead, that's when I actually started to feel really optimistic about the Disney buyout.

ShoulderOfOrion
03-09-2014, 10:51 AM
I'm hoping for a sideshow Darth Plagueis... not sure whether he's technically EU as he was mentioned in ROTS.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Welcome to SSG, ShoulderOfOrion! You make an interesting point. How many of the following would be considered "EU" characters?
- Quinlon Vos
- Tank
- Windy
- Camie
- Tyree
- Janson

They've been "expanded" in novels, even with their mentions in the films. And what about Clone Wars references?

bigbarada
03-10-2014, 02:51 PM
I would say that if a character originated onscreen in one of the movies, then that character isn't EU. If they originated from an EU source and where just included in the movie later on, then they are still EU.

If the character was mentioned onscreen in name only, then they aren't EU technically, but any visual design of that character could be considered EU. For instance, Disney could decide that they don't want Darth Plagueis to be an alien and they reestablish him as another human Sith Lord. That would violate nothing in terms of film canon.

Movie characters that had speaking roles in the film, but ended up being cut out of the movies completely, are kind of difficult to categorize and whether or not they are EU would probably depend on the individual fan.

Tycho
03-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Padme's family had speaking roles in AOTC, but they were cut.

They appeared in ROTS at the funeral, but had no speaking lines.

I can see this as being a problem only if we ever return to the CommTech chips, as Gasgano never talked ;)

Meanwhile, let's keep Darth Plageuis a Muun. The design is cool (wish I had time to track down the figure) and it makes sense in terms of Count Dooku being able to win the alliance of San Hill and the Muunlist IG Banking Clan who brought us the cool IG-80 series droids - eventually IG-88 and explains why he is so tall and cone-headed, as droids look like their makers (explaining C-3PO's humanoid look) and the EU design of the Collicoid aliens who build the destroyer droids.

Aayla Secura was an EU character that originated in the comics and Lucas liked, so he put in the movies. Twice as Order 66 was a big scene for her, and she fought at Geonosis.

Quilan Vos was a background dude in Mos Espa who Jan Duursema turned into an undercover Jedi - and friend of Obi-Wan's - maybe even since Obi-Wan knew Quin was on Tatooine, he decided so quickly to tell Qui-Gon he recommended the Queens's ship land there?
Then Quinlan got mentioned in ROTS, though on-screen, his TPM appearance did not see him get addressed by name.

But why ret-con anything that has proven popular?

Then there's Cliegg Lars who had a major speaking role in the movie and still no figure! Zutton, though a fun design, had no speaking role in ANH - and Tzzzvvzzzt was in ANH, cantina scene, had no speaking line, and looks cooler than Zutton.

I think Hasbro should stick with market research and honor some more fan requests, even if they turn out like Brian's Toys exclusives such as Jocasta Nu (who I proudly bought duplicates of) - and Disney should not interfere in past-popular EU.

I suspect this might only really come down to this however:

Jaina Solo / Ben Skywalker / Allanah Solo (?)

These characters might or might not (hopefully WILL MOST DEFINITELY!) be included in the ST.

What they look like is still to be determined by casting AND costuming.

There is a very good chance that Jesse Plemmons is going to play Ben Skywalker. Even if that is true, we don't know what he'll look like. Perhaps he'll have long hair? A beard? He might not look like Todd from Breaking Bad, just because he's the same actor.

And instead of wearing Jedi clothes like an OR Jedi, or like Luke in the NJO look, Ben Skywalker might be really into Gungan fashion and crave the latest wet-wear look coming out of Naboo for the spring season. Yup. And to honor Chewbacca, he might wear a bandolier as well as symbolize his appreciation of Lobot by shaving his head and wearing a dual-ear-piece iPod for strategic marketing placement. - or what was I thinking? The Mickey Mouse ears of course!

In other words, this might be a moratorium on EU figures, not a permanent ban.

I still want Zayne Carrick, Nomi Sunrider, Anakin Solo, Tahiri, Mandalorian Warriors of different eras (TOTJ, KOTOR, etc). Riff Tamsen (CW), Droma (NJO) etc.