PDA

View Full Version : LFL Vs. WETA

JonoFett
03-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Many have commented, not myself included I might add, that the digital effects seen on the Clone War trailer were...in need of some more work to make them gel with the actors...or words to that effect.

I was very pleased with the shots I saw, but I'm curious to gauge your opinions as to whether Peter Jackson's (LOTRs trilogy) FX company, Weta, could, and this is purely hypothetical, have done them better.

What do you think?
:)

Jedi Clint
03-13-2002, 02:45 PM
I think ILM did just fine.

JonoFett
03-13-2002, 02:47 PM
Their ability is not in dispute, infact what I saw was mind blowing.

JEDIpartner
03-13-2002, 02:52 PM
But they don't mesh with the "living" very well... especially that scene where Padme looks like she's going to hit the camera lens with her head. The other gripe is that the "texture" of the scenes looks nothing like that of similar environments in the original trilogy. I'm afraid of what Uncle George is gonna do to remedy this.

Lord Tenebrous
03-13-2002, 02:59 PM
If the trailer is an indication of anything, I think AOTC's editing is much more in need of analysis than the effects. As one of my friends put it, "It was 30 seconds of coherent images, and two minutes of eye-gouging with sharply cut scenes."

That said, both companies have their merits. I was pleased with the organic feel of FOTR's effects, something slightly lacking in the special editions and prequels of Star Wars. ILM definately has the upper hand with mechanical aspects.

JonoFett
03-13-2002, 03:01 PM
For the record, I thought the geography of the environments I was looking at was nothing short of spectacular, but to use a word familiar to many, there were moments (re: The Great Hall) where the actors looked less than 'symbiotic' ;) with their surroundings. Overall, the work done on the planetary environments, aliens and above all the Geonosis arena battle were, to use my own words, mind blowing.

I was curious to know if you thought the bearded New Zealander's Co. could do better.:)

Jargo
03-13-2002, 03:01 PM
There's no doubt that the animators are incredibly talented individuals who have turned mere pixels into moving fabric and skin and macjhinery like I've never seen before and better than I've seen before. But when you watch Anakin and Palpatine walk in frnt of the big window, notice how the edges of Anakins cloak go fuzzy and wobble where the edges aren't sharp enough. That's a bit sloppy.

In the Arena as many have stated, the background seems like something from a Console game and the actors seem dropped onto this background and not like they are really there. It's a balance thing that may be addressed in the next few weeks or never at all like the black matte lines round the Rancor in ROTJ. It may be a problem of using all digital mediums for the entire film. It may be that via quicktime or TV the film will always look 'fake' because of resolution issues. We are after all seeing it much smaller than intended and compressed into tiny versions. Compress a large image to attach here at SSG and you see a markedly different image than the clear one you have at home. Compressed images will always look bad. This movie uses much more data per frame than an image file but the principle of compression ratios is the same. So twenty feet tall on the cinema screen this movie may be the best thing visually since man first found fire....... maybe not that good actually but somewhere on the way toward it. :)

Oh, and I haven't seen LOTR just a few clips. But from those 'action' clips I don't think there's much difference in the two FX teams. They both crodss referenced and helped each other out with aspects of the filming of both movies. Probably find they did bits for each other somewhere along the line. :D

JonoFett
03-13-2002, 03:07 PM
I watched the trailer on my 30" TV very early on Monday (Courtesy of GMTV) and it looked amazing.

Co Jo-Da
03-13-2002, 03:29 PM
When I first saw the 'Clone Wars' Trailer I thought it wasn't very CRISP, but after watching the trailer over and over again. I've gotten more and more impressed with what ILM has done and is doning, alot of work is left to due before the movie is released and I sure that sume if not all the problems that we've talked about will be fixed...