PDA

View Full Version : SW wacky packaging cards

OC47151
04-28-2014, 12:43 PM
http://www.beckett.com/news/2014/04/first-look-2014-topps-star-wars-wacky-packages/

These look interesting. Surprised Topps hasn't done this sooner.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Interesting. I might give it a whirl; especially if I can buy packs first, instead of just the full set at once.

By the way, OC. Do you ever wonder if you and I really are the only humans in the world collecting SW trading cards, but...? :rolleyes:

OC47151
04-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Sometimes I do, BC.

There's a fellow card collector in my club. For the past few years, I've bought my basic sets of cards from him. He buys several cases of them to get the sketch cards, autos, etc... He's gotten fed up with Topps and all the variations of cards for the price they're asking, and has taken a break. I still haven't gotten a complete set of the last series. Might have to go to a dealer for it, unless I can find an unopened box cheap.

JediTricks
04-29-2014, 03:10 PM
I will buy these, Steve will buy these I suspect as well. I'm really digging the humor in the samples in the link.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Since they show a September release date, I wonder if there will be exclusive freebies at Cons this summer? Comic-Cons that I shan't be attending, that is. :(

JediTricks
06-07-2014, 02:45 PM
I'll keep an eye out at the Topps booth.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-24-2014, 11:02 AM
I'll keep an eye out at the Topps booth.Does that mean there'll be a Threepio-with-eye-out wacky card? ;) :dead:

JediTricks
08-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Craaaap, I forgot to stop at the Topps booth, or find out if there was a Topps booth.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-05-2014, 11:33 PM
I see that a projected release date of 9/17 (a Wednesday) appears, with 10 cards a PACK?!? Shows 241 different cards to seek (as seen below)

The 2014 Topps Star Wars Wacky Packages base set has 100 cards. This includes 50 different card fronts, each with two different backs. Flip sides include a mix of puzzles, ads, coupons and checklists. Parallels include Blue (one per pack), Gold (1:8 packs), Printing Plates and Gold Star Field (#/10).

Reality TV (ten cards, 1:2 packs) puts a Star Wars spin on ten shows we're familiar with. For Star Tours fans, there are ten Travel Posters (1:4 packs) that tackle top tourist destinations in the Star Wars Universe. Coloring Cards (1:6 packs) offer line art from ten base cards that collectors can color as they see fit. Fold-Out Comic Book Ads (1:12 packs) take a retro-styled approach to create over-sized inserts.

Four Bonus Stickers can be found exclusively in hobby boxes.

As far as hits go, collectors can find randomly inserted sketch cards and Artist Autographs. Unlike past sets that have used stickers, autographs are signed on-card.

Estimated Release Date: 9/17/14
Product Configuration: 24 packs per box, 10 cards per pack
Price Point: Low-End Entertainment Card
Target Audience: Star Wars Fans, Wacky Packages Collectors, Set Builders, Collectors with a Sense of Humor

2014 Topps Star Wars Wacky Packages Hobby Box Break
•12 Reality TV Inserts
•6 Travel Posters Inserts
•4 Coloring Cards
•2 Fold-Out Comic Ads Inserts
•24 Parallels
•1 Bonus Sticker
•241 Total Cards
I hope they are easily available; I just have to assume they will be.

JediTricks
09-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the update. That 10 cards per pack seems like a misprint, but it tracks. I found a preorder online for a box at $56, if that's the price then I foresee this being on my xmas list if I don't outright buy it next month.

OC47151
09-06-2014, 06:19 PM
I'll wait and see what my online dealer has to offer.

Because of the novelty, I can see this series being made available at retail.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-23-2014, 09:39 PM
I've checked a couple stores (Target, Walmart, etc.) lately, and have only seen "regular" Wacky Packages cards (no SW ones :( ).

OC47151
09-24-2014, 07:09 AM
You're ahead of me, Bel-Cam. I've been too busy to check!

Funny story, Topps related. My club has its big event this past weekend. I contacted Topps for a donation, even made a note that I enjoyed the new ROTJ 3D cards. Never heard from then again. Went to check the club's PO box, and there was a big box from Topps waiting for me! I open it, and what do I find?

2013 football cards.

Lot of the guys collect football cards and were happy to see them.

It's the thought that counts.

JediTricks
09-29-2014, 07:05 PM
I checked my local Targets and they didn't have them. Amazon doesn't have them yet. So I just did some research, and found several artists who worked on the series confirm that Topps canceled the series in early July. :( To back that up, several retailers who had these listed for preorder now have them listed as canceled, although others don't, but GTS Distribution is confirming they're canceled.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-29-2014, 08:35 PM
To quote your avatar, JT: "whuaaaaaah?!?" Really? Did they really think NO ONE would want to buy these? Nostalgia, silliness, gross-out paintings, and bad punnery NEVER go out of style. :mad: :(

JediTricks
09-30-2014, 03:30 PM
To quote your avatar, JT: "whuaaaaaah?!?" Really? Did they really think NO ONE would want to buy these? Nostalgia, silliness, gross-out paintings, and bad punnery NEVER go out of style. :mad: :(
I would guess they were afraid that the already-limited trading card community and the picky Star Wars community each wouldn't embrace these in great enough numbers to justify production costs.

However one of the things I read suggested that they were asking their artists to produce a large volume of content for the series in a very short time, which limited the ability for interested artists to contribute, I know a lot of work was created for this series, but it may not have met the needs Topps was looking for (or DisneyLucasfilm required) - that's just my mere speculation though.

OC47151
09-30-2014, 05:29 PM

Topps probably thinks card collectors will get second and third mortgages for the Masterpiece cards.

JediTricks
10-02-2014, 03:23 AM
Topps probably thinks card collectors will get second and third mortgages for the Masterpiece cards.Very likey.