PDA

View Full Version : Openers! R3-T7 question . . .

mark2d2
03-13-2002, 05:25 PM
I just picked up this figure at Walmart. Wow!!! Am I impressed. The detail inside the head is amazing. (Wires!!!) And the yellow/green details shows up much better in person than in photographs. The blue electrical stuff is actually kinda' interesting.

BUT --- my third leg doesn't retract quite as well as all my other Astro droids. It sticks out just a little more. But it's a little too much.

Has anyone else noticed this? Please let me know?

Jargo
03-13-2002, 05:40 PM
Your third leg doesn't........ sorry to hear about that *snicker snicker* :crazed:

I've not got my R3 droids yet but I have read hereabouts that this is a problem on the new astro droids because of the way they pack them in the blister. Also because of the poor quality materials they make the figures from. Mr' softee rubber from acme factories......

I'm hoping to get my R3 droids anytime soon so I'll be back then..... :D

Dryanta
03-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Same thing here.It's not much but enough to be noticeable.
Would be better if it would retract flush.

mark2d2
03-13-2002, 06:02 PM
Actually, it's just like the leg is a little too long. It has nothing to do with careless packaging . . .

What do you think of the Electical accessory, Jargo? You probably think it's lame. I dunno. Actually, it's grown on me. I just slid it onto R2 and it really does indeed look like the poor little guy was just ZAPPED by a pesky Jawa. Yeah, I'd have loved this as a kid. And since you just slip it on, there are no holes marring the figure. So, I say, why not? It's certainly neater than, say . . . another oversized mouse droid.

Also the paint deco on mine is pretty dang good. Not at all sloppy. The scuff marks aren't overdone. And the interior head detail is beyond sweet! At long last we get to know what a "motivator" looks like. There's even groovy little wires . . .

What a Preview Figure! A great way to appeal to us old school Original Trilogy collectors. And a clever way to tie the films together. Long Live R3-T7!

Jargo
03-13-2002, 06:17 PM
I actually don't mind the R3 blue electro stuff because as you say it can be used on R2-D2 for a re-enactment of the jawa zapping. I just think shoving the stuff on all the figures weapons is lame. I can think o beter accessories to stick with figures than that.

Anyway, if it's his leg that's too long it's probably something to do with different molds being used. It's common for figures to be cast from almost identical molds but fractionally different in size or position. Several molds will be made for the figure and if one is warped slightly or the casting isn't correct it'll lead to bulging or those extra little bits of plastic you get round seams. These extra bits are supposed to be trimmed off but with the speed these figures seem to have been rushed through it's possible that some haven't been finished properly or that the molds were rushed and weren't finished properly.

that's the only thing I can think of right now until i actually have one in my hand and can examine it. Darned conscientious store owners keeping to the March 16th ruling!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRR!!!!! :rolleyes:

Jek Porky 2002
03-13-2002, 06:35 PM
I can't believe no one has said this before, all R2 and R3 unit's legs have been the same since the R2 with holographic Liea, then there was the red one that came with the Naboo Star Ship then there was R2-Q5 and now there's little R3-T7.

Dryanta
03-13-2002, 07:19 PM
I have to wonder if the leg issue is some how related to the new "head" sculpt.
Just a thought it's the only thing that's different from all the other astromech droids.

JediTricks
03-13-2002, 11:03 PM
On the astromechs I've purchased from R2 Holo Leia on that have retractable middle legs (R2-D2 holo leia, Red R2-R9, and R2-Q5), NONE of them have middle legs that retract flush, which disappoints me to no end.

stillakid
03-13-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
On the astromechs I've purchased from R2 Holo Leia on that have retractable middle legs (R2-D2 holo leia, Red R2-R9, and R2-Q5), NONE of them have middle legs that retract flush, which disappoints me to no end.

They don't compete well in any of the wind-tunnel tests I've run either.:D

Jayspawn
03-13-2002, 11:38 PM
My R3 has a problem with his middle leg too. He's a great figure. I actually don't mind the middle leg thing too much. The electro whatever fits very well on other droid figures.

LTBasker
03-14-2002, 05:52 AM
Hmm, out of the all the droids that have been made with the R2 w/ Leia mold, I've only got 1 open (haven't even got R3. :p) and that's my R2-Q5's, both of'em have legs that go up ok, hopefully they'll correct the R3 if they make anymore than they have.

JEDIpartner
03-14-2002, 09:21 AM
is that the leg is REALLY rubbery... and I think the friction prevents it from retracting smoothly. I have gotten my figure's leg to go up as far as the other Astrodroid legs have gone up...

Love this figure. It's the best of the four!

JetsAndHeels
03-14-2002, 09:33 AM
Ive got 2 sets of the preview figures carded. After all the praise this R3 droid is getting I may have to go buy another one just to open.
But Jango is still my fav!!

JediTricks
03-14-2002, 09:51 PM
Basker, all the single-carded Astromech figures have been unique sculpts, so I think Hasbro is doing it this way on purpose, maybe to let little kid hands be able to pull the leg out.

Tycho
03-15-2002, 12:15 AM
One other thing you can do with the blue energy discharge:

I added this effect to Datalink Artoo and did the shield generator scene. Put all his gadgets in place and pop the sensorscope out, add the energy and Wallah! Until they make a really cool battle damaged version of R2D2 from this scene...

stillakid
03-15-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
One other thing you can do with the blue energy discharge:

I added this effect to Datalink Artoo and did the shield generator scene. Put all his gadgets in place and pop the sensorscope out, add the energy and Wallah! Until they make a really cool battle damaged version of R2D2 from this scene...

.....ugh, still hanging here.....waiting....waiting....the suspense is killing me....WHAT SCENE?!?!?!?

:D

Tycho
03-15-2002, 03:15 AM
Hmmm? The shield generator scene. It says so in my previous post.

OK, Kid (and I'm 'kidding' you). Here it is: Classic Star Wars for Beginners.

You see, Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, R2 and 3PO have to go down to this planet and blow up this shield generator that's protecting this big battle station that the bad guys are on....

Well, you see, Luke leaves because Darth Vader is really his father and can sense him in the Force and everything...

So Han comes up with this plan to blow up the generator, but they meet these little teddy bear-like creatures called Ewoks that have a better idea that involves something like sneaking in the back-door.

But OK - it's this trap thing set for capturing the good guys by this evil intergalactic dictator....

Well anyway, Han thinks he can get in there anyway if R2D2 helps him out. But R2 gets shot! (Oh -no!) But it's ok because he's a droid and Han and Chewie can repair him, and they still come up with another plan to get them in the shield generator's back door so they can blow the whole place up.

But meanwhile there are these people called fans that go and watch this sort of thing for fun, and they collect something called action figures. Some recreate these cool scenes with their action figures.

Once upon a time, there was this action figure called R2D2 with Datalink. You can pretend he's all blown up though, and then you can call him "Shield Generator Battle Artoo!" When you put the blue who-jam-ma-jiggy on him, it really looks like it too....

Sorry, that was fun and Stillakid is slapping his forhead going - "Oh geeze! Why did that scene just slip my mind?! I'm gonna get that Tycho guy back for this!!!"

LOL - all in good fun, K?

stillakid
03-15-2002, 10:27 AM
(slapping my forehead) Ouch! :cry:

Rollo Tomassi
03-15-2002, 12:31 PM
I think some BSLOS are called for in that situation...:rolleyes: ;)

Deoxyribonucleic
03-15-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Your third leg doesn't........ sorry to hear about that *snicker snicker*

ROFL!!!

:D

stillakid
03-16-2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
I think some BSLOS are called for in that situation...:rolleyes: ;)

In my own defense, I'm coming off of this flu that everybody seems to be getting, and the doctor gave me this great cough medicine laced with Codeine. I haven't slept so well since I had Mono years ago. Anyhow...

Another stupid question: what is BSLOS? I'm so anagram illiterate which doesn't help because so many people here use them on a regular basis. Maybe when the drugs wear off.:)

Tycho
03-16-2002, 04:22 AM
I don't know what that one means either.....

BSLOS????

Bantha's Soft Lumps Ordered Salted ???

Jargo
03-16-2002, 11:44 AM
It's a BCJ MUO. Just a QL for a BFU. :) Actually it stands for bad song lyric of shame. Since we can't use avatars of shame anymore Bel-Cam came up with the bad song lyric of shame. If you make a fool of yourself think of a crap lyric and tag it on the end of a post as penance. ASN? :D

JEDIpartner
03-16-2002, 12:44 PM
"Oops!...I did it again" :eek:

Jargo
03-16-2002, 01:43 PM
No JP that's far too literal. it has to be obscure and really crap. Something along the lines of

"OOee chirpy chirpy cheep cheep, chirpy chirpy cheep cheep, chirpy chirpy cheep cheep CHIRP!"

As bad as that. :D :p :stupid: :crazed:

Fixer
03-18-2002, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Dryanta
I have to wonder if the leg issue is some how related to the new "head" sculpt.
Just a thought it's the only thing that's different from all the other astromech droids.

They all stick out, but R3's seems to show a bit more. It may be that they had to move the clicky thing down further into the body because of all the junk in the head. No big deal though, I usually display my astomechs in the tripod position. :sur: