PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see an ET-Senator figure?

badtaste
08-27-2001, 02:52 PM
Will we ever see an ET-Senator figure? I hope so.

evenflow
08-27-2001, 03:04 PM
I do not think that we will ever get one. Probably with legal issues, but I personally would love one. It would make a great 2-pack with Yarua the Wookie Senator. I have made a custom of the ET Senator which turned out pretty cool. :D

badtaste
08-27-2001, 03:07 PM
Custom? oh wow

Can you show him?

Starfig873
08-27-2001, 03:14 PM
I would personally love an E.T. Senator figure. It would be so great to see the force file for that puppy. "Join E.T. in all his adventerous...legal issues....and...getting left behind on planets by the rest of his species." He could also come with a pasty-white-dying on the bathroom floor-variant.

The kids'd love him! ;)

Lobito
08-27-2001, 04:10 PM
Hehehehe it would be cool to see an ET figure...with his gun and all, i also liked the idea of the two pack with the Wookie Senator.

Just imagine the difference in sice between the wookie senator and ET!! Im up for it.

Darth Cruel
08-27-2001, 05:24 PM
Legal issues? George Lucas and Steven Spielberg are chummy enough to continually give each other "nods" in the movies. It would be my guess that they could get over a little legal issue like rights to an action figure. I don't know who holds the license for E.T. toys, but even if it is not Hasbro, I think the two toy companies involved could work something out...IF they wanted to.

El Chuxter
08-27-2001, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
Legal issues? George Lucas and Steven Spielberg are chummy enough to contiually give each other "nods" in the movies.

A quick glimpse of ET or a kid in a Yoda costume are one thing, and I think they're really nice touches. But an actual profit-producing piece of plastic is another. (Apologies for the tongue-twister; I couldn't resist.) It comes down to how chummy Fox and Universal are. I doubt it'll happen, but I won't say I wouldn't like to see it happen. :)

master jedi
08-27-2001, 07:04 PM
Aren't they re-releasinf ET in theatres next year/ If so wait 'til that comes out and see if they make new et figs for the re-release.

Lobito
08-27-2001, 07:10 PM
If they ever make the Star Wars ET figure, i bet they wont name it "ET senator", instead they would give the figure a new name and background.

Neo Solo
08-27-2001, 11:29 PM
Stillakid... where the hell did THAT come from??....?? :confused:

I think we could very easily see an ET Senator figure. Like was said before, George and Steven are chummy enough. I doubt if they've seen each other naked before. If they have, I don't wanna know!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHH! !!

!@#$ Stillakid, now I'm gonna have nightmares!!:(

GNT
08-28-2001, 01:49 AM
Due to legal reasons don't expect to see an Star Wars ET figure

BUT

With the 20th anniversery of ET we might see some figures made :)

badtaste
08-28-2001, 02:13 AM
Well, they are also going to mix starwars with disney and stuff, so that shows how flexible they are...

JEDIpartner
08-28-2001, 08:29 AM
Someone hasn't been watching their classic 80s films!!

Those lines are from "AIRPLANE!"

... Surely you can't be serious!

Didn't they call the guy "Senator Eat Tea"?

Oh, whatever... There was a "Furby" line "E.T." doll a while back... so that's about all I can tell you about licensing!

Obi-Don
08-28-2001, 09:14 AM
No I don't think they will make one but it would be cool.I want the wookie sen.

pthfnder89
08-28-2001, 09:29 AM
El Chuxter is totally right. It doesn't really matter if Lucas and Speilberg are friends because ET is an actual liscensed property and Hasbro would have to buy it (I pretty sure Universal owns it also, so Speilberg wouldn't have much of a say, I don't think)

Also, wouldn't it be pretty confusing to a LOT of kids? My little stepbrother had watched TPM 30 or so times, but he still hadn't noticed the ET Senator until I pointed him out. I would have been confused as hell if an Ewok had appeared in Battlestar Galactica when I was his age;):):)

badtaste
08-28-2001, 11:36 AM
In predetor 2 an Alien appeared in the space ship. There's also a comic strip in wich the two species are fighting against each other.

Is that confusing too?

JediCole
08-28-2001, 12:23 PM
A few thoughts on the E.T. Senators...

1. The mere presence - I must say that I was not entirely thrilled with the presence of the E.T. Senators as it belittles the one thing that made Star Wars unique amoung science fiction films, NO CONNECTION TO EARTH! The E.T. Senators inexorably link the Star Wars universe to Earth. Granted, there was some connection in that the stories took place in the distant past and far away from Earth, but with the E.T.s there is one fewer degree of separation.

2. Legal issues - Though I would buy one if they made one (since it did appear on film), there is little likelyhood that a figure will be made, despite fan appeal. As many others here have stated, despite any friendship between Lucas and Spielburg, an on film nod and a cross-licensed toy are two entirely different entities. Habro would have to secure not only the rights from Universal and LucasFilm (20th Century Fox has no say, they are merely the distributor of the property, not the owner), but also a considerable degree of cooperation. Who would have the final say on the sculpts, names, copy, etc? Something of a logistical nightmare akin to what prompeted MacFarlane Toys to scrap thier planned Celebrity Death Match figures. That there was a Furby E.T. suggests that Hasbro has some licensing ties to Universal, so it is not impossible, just highly improbable.

3. The name game - There was an E.T. novel (something like "The Green Planet") after E.T. was at the height of his popularity. I have seen but not read the thing, but it may reveal the name of the race and home planet. I would suspect these guys and the Ithorians (Hammerheads) are allies due their love of botany. The personal name of the actual senator may wind up being the mentioned Eat Tea. Not really surprising considering Ahmad Best's cameo (not as Jar Jar) in Episode II is called Ackh Med-Beq. The Lucas naming brain is slipping further.

In the end I have mixed feeling about an E.T. (Eat Tea) senator. Could be interesting. Hopefully Hasbro will address this at some point. I guess someone should have tried to get Steve Sansweet to approach that question at one of his recent convention appearances.

JediCole
08-28-2001, 12:28 PM
As for Bad Taste's question about crossover between Aliens and Predator, it is hardly a corollary to kids getting confused about E.T. in Star Wars (or the sarcastic Ewok on Battlestar Galactica reference which would be even more confusing as even the final incarnation of Galactica on television predates Return of the Jedi and the Ewoks. We may have seen them and been none the wiser).
But to the point. Aliens and Predator are hardly kids films. I doubt many five to eight year olds saw either in the theatre. So taking a property decidedly aimed at a young adult to adult audience and using it as a comparison to the Star Wars reference is hardly relavent.

badtaste
08-28-2001, 12:55 PM
Dear Jedicole

I think the comparisation is relavant because we have to deal with classic caracters. ET is an oldie and the kids of then are the adults of now.

What I tried to say is that a product is released with two different 'movie' caracters.

Besides, I don't think someone would care if it confuses some kids.

I have to agree with you that Starwars should be disconected with earth. so....

ET GO HOME !!![/SIZE]

stillakid
08-28-2001, 04:31 PM
With the introduction of the Midichlorians (there I go again), Star Wars absolutely HAS to be disconnected from Earth. If those humans have Midis, we have to as well. We don't and most likely never will, so those humans are actually super-human with no relation to us weak Earthlings at all. They are just aliens who have mutated into human form.

JediCole
08-28-2001, 08:36 PM
The Midichlorians left an even worse taste in my mouth than the ET Senators ever could! What was up with that? Is this suddenly Star Trek? Do we need a biological explanation of the Force? There goes all of the mysticism that had previously existed. Now the all-powerful force is nothing more than a viral colony that makes the oxygen-starved brains of the Jedi delude themselves into a state of supernatural powers. UGH!

Rollo Tomassi
08-28-2001, 10:14 PM
In the novel Cloak of Deception, they describe one of the senators and it sounded exactly like E.T.'s species. his name was Senator Grebleips or something. I am too lazy to go hunt down the actual page # and name but it's in there...

GNT
08-29-2001, 01:28 AM
Didn't they make an ET figure when ET came out?

evenflow
08-29-2001, 08:04 AM
Alot of ET toys were produced years ago. One of them is actually really good to make a custom for the Senator. He is holding a Book and wearing a Blanket over one shoulder. With a little paint the blanket looks like a regal robe.

El Chuxter
08-29-2001, 12:35 PM
Rollo, I was going to point out that you were the only person to catch that a while back. I think Eat Tea is a lousy name, but Grebleips is a much better one, and it was a clever in-joke in the novel.

Aliens vs Predator is a bad analogy. As JediCole said, all of them (I think) are rated R. Also, before the third Alien 3 and Predator 2, a highly-successful comic series based on the Predators' training of young hunters by seeding planets with Alien eggs came out. That's the reason there's an Alien skull in the Predator ship. After a sequel to the Aliens vs Predator comic, there was a lot of talk (which I hope wasn't all for naught) about a film version. Though that has yet to materialize, there've been a couple of video games based on the premise and even a line of figures (using repaints from Hasbro's Alien and Predator lines).

On a more practical note, both properties are owned by the same company. That's why they can cross over so easily, and is also why Frankenstein can cross over with Dracula and the Mummy or Freddy Krueger can cross over with Jason Voorhees.

However, there is an ET Furby (which I'd forgotten about). Furbies are by Tiger, which (like most toy companies) is owned by Hasbro. Therefore, as Jedipartnr pointed out, the likelihood of future Hasbro ET figures exists. There are a couple of ways Hasbro could produce an ET Senator figure:

1) Make a line of ET action figures. Make a couple based on non-movie stuff, like the ET ride at Universal. One of these could be an ET Senator (given only that name so as to suggest it could be a Senator in whatever government the Green Planet has). I don't know about the feasibility of using the image from TPM on the packaging, but I'm guessing that if Hasbro owns both licenses and McFarlane can put a picture of Edward Scissorhands on the back of a Shaft package, there may be some way around it. Unfortunately, the entire thing rests on a line of ET figures, which isn't probable. Hasbro can't make money on a property like Batman, so what's to make them produce figures of a young Drew Barrymore from a 20 year old movie?

2) The sneaky way. Make only one ET figure, and sell it as an ET figure through the Star Wars Fan Club (and whatever other retailers would order it, including the Universal Studios stores). Advertise it through the SWFC as "the lovable star of ET, who makes a cameo in SW:E1:TPM." Include packaging as close to the POTJ line as possible and include enough ET movie and "ET Expanded Universe" accessories (like a plant, a Speak and Spell, and a blaster carbine) so that he can be used as either.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-29-2001, 01:58 PM
Does anybody remember the ET light-up finger? It was just a white finger that went over your finger and the end lit up if you pressed it hard enough against anything. Was that the most screwed-up toy ever or what?

badtaste
08-29-2001, 03:56 PM
yes, I remember that one.Pretty damn silly.

I agree Predetot vs Alien is an bad analogy. I'm not familiar with the US-rating system. I'm glad we don't have that system overhere. I thought alien and predetor are for kids too.

So it looks bad for those who are waiting for an ET-senator figure to come.
Perhaps a hunger strike will do...

Jargo
08-29-2001, 06:53 PM
If only you'd asked this question last week when i was talking to my comic store owner friend about wanting an ET figure. She told me I was a sick puppy but also told me that there will indeed be a line of toys to coincide with the rerelease of the film. One of the major companies is doing them but I've forgotten which one. That's why You should have asked last week! Anyway, My friend didn't know what scale the figures were going to be but they're definately making some. Isn't there a massive toyfare in Nw York every December? Perhaps they'll be shown then or the next big toy fare in the new year..... :)

this friend of mine had a range of ET keyrings that were 3.75 scale and one was plain old boring ET perfect for customising into three senators. Only when i got round to deciding to buy, they'd all gone. :(

DarthQuack
07-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Chux, any progress on this?