PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Chamber Playset

Lman316
03-13-2002, 09:16 PM
I don't remember if the Freezing Chamber playset was under the POTJ line or the POTF 2 line (if it's POTF2, I'll delete it), but I wanted to ask what everyone thinks about it.
The online fan club has it reduced to $18.99. I was just wondering if anyone could give their opinion of it. I had heard that it's crappy, but I'd like to make sure, to see if I'd like to buy one.
If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Sith Vicious
03-13-2002, 09:31 PM
Eh, it's hard to say. I actually think it displays okay, but the freezing action is crappy, and the pack in guard is lame. If your budget is tight, I'd save your money for something else.

Jayspawn
03-13-2002, 10:31 PM
I actually think it's pretty cool. I like the Bespin Guard figure. He's really basic which is fine by me. Since none of the Star Wars playsets are all that good, I thought the Freezing Chamber was neat. No, the 'freezing' action is not the best. But I like it because it's new, and it's not a mold of something already made.

stillakid
03-13-2002, 10:37 PM
I like it. As far as the newer playsets go it's one of the better ones. Beats the heck out of the Naboo 4 walls and a floor thing. There has been nothing like the vintage Death Star so everything pales next to it, but for a "complete" environment, the Freezing set isn't bad. At that price, why not?

Wolfwood319
03-13-2002, 10:40 PM
I like it. Its not to scale, and the freezing mechinism is bad, but it definately one of the best playesets in any current line. Its good to display your Bespin Luke and Vader battle.

It was a POTJ release, but all the figures on the box were POTF2.

mark2d2
03-13-2002, 11:03 PM
It definitely makes for a neato display. I had this out on my desk at work and everybody who walked by not only commented on it, but usually stopped to play with it. In fact, the figures were always moved when I got back from lunch. And not in any obscene way . . . just moved. (Played with.)

The clear orange plastic is a great detail. And the way you can freeze any figure is pretty entertaining. There is also a real vintage feel to the set --- it reminds me a bit of the old plastic IMPERIAL ATTACK BASE. So, it'd work really well with vintage figures as well.

If you're an Empire fan, then by all means pick it up. It's great for setting up two of the films most gripping scenes. I'd say it's definitely worth the $19.

There's also this bizarre little jail cell molded into the base of the freezing chamber. Oh, and leave the big gun thingy in the box!

Thus far, it's definitely the best playset of the line. And looks far more Starwars to me than the new Arena Attack. Plus, since it's an exclusive, it's a neat piece to have in that it was probably produced in smaller numbers than, say . . . the Episode I sets.

Hope this helps.

Amanamike
03-13-2002, 11:57 PM
Where do you work Mark2d2 that you can display toys at your desk??? Sounds like a good job.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-14-2002, 12:20 AM
I like it. For 19 dollars I don't think you can go wrong because as many mentioned above you can do a lot of cool scenes with it. If you get it, look closely at the Bespin guard...he looks uncannily like Agent Moulder from X-Files :) Plus with today's technology, you can make some cool printouts of the background from the freeze scenes in Empire and really ad to the set. :)

mark2d2
03-14-2002, 12:34 AM
I was a "Content Producer" at this silly national cable network in LA. But I was laid off just before Christmas. It's alright. The job wasn't nearly as exciting as it might sound. Actually, I was bored out of my mind. And the politics around there were getting more and more Dilbertesque all the time.

But the people were cool. And everythings very casual in the entertainment business. I could wear shorts to work.

Jayspawn
03-14-2002, 10:10 AM
$18.99 is a great price. I probably would held of on getting it if I would have known it be that price. But no regrets, I like it.

Lman316
03-14-2002, 10:56 AM
Hey, thanks everyone for your comments. I guess it doesn't sound as bad as I thought after all. So I might pick one up.
Thanks again.

evenflow
03-14-2002, 10:56 AM
It is a nice set. I would go for it if i didnt already have one.

Dryanta
03-14-2002, 11:07 AM
Fed Ex dropped mine off today.
It's smaller than I thought it would be but I'm pleased with it.
Go for it Lman316.I don't think you'll regret it

Starfig873
03-14-2002, 11:20 AM
Pretty fun little set IMO. Good to mess with, freezing characters and such, if you bored. :p

Lman316
03-14-2002, 05:22 PM
Well, I placed an order for one. Plus an Eeth Koth and four sets of stands.
But when I get it, I'll follow up here. I hope it's cool.

stillakid
03-14-2002, 08:16 PM
(snicker snicker...he bought it guys...nice work...hee hee)

Just kidding!;)

mark2d2
03-14-2002, 08:23 PM
Our Journey to the Dark side is now complete.

DarthMaulSithLord
03-15-2002, 06:59 AM
I think it's nice, but it could have been so much better. First of all it should have been bigger, it feels like one of those mini-rigs now. Secondly, it needs some electronics. Sounds, some lights. Also, a figure of todays standards and why the hell does it look like Mulder?

:confused:

LTBasker
03-15-2002, 07:25 AM
It's a good set, but I wish they'd release a series of attachments, there are plenty of places for them to plug into! They could give us a claw for the carbo unit which could plug into the gun's spot and for leverage 4 studs could be supported by those 4 silver colored pegs on the sides, then there could be a catwalk with stairs to plug into it and it could cover that one giant lipp they put there for those few stairs, of course leaving a whole for the claw pole to plug into the gun's port. We also need a small area to combine with it at the side with the elevator that Luke goes up in. (with working elevator and doors of course.)

It'd be perfect cause the elevator piece could also serve as an elevator for figures on the bottom level which are working the controls. I don't care if it's electronic or lights up, but I would really like them to release these accesories, they could put'em in a $25-35 pack, it'd be well worth it, especially if they were made correctly.

Lman316
03-19-2002, 10:59 AM
I seem to have the worst luck with this stuff...
This thing was marked down to $18.99 when I ordered it, and just 5 days, FIVE mere days later, they mark it down to $16.99.
Not a big difference, but it's just my luck that I'd miss any discount.
I still haven't received my package yet.........so I still plan on giving my comments when I get it. I hope it's worth the $18.99.

And here they are (I got the package about an hour after posting this):

It's pretty nifty, but the pack-in guard is a little crappy. But not bad for someone to just stand around the playset.
I tried carbon freezing the guard, but it took a few times because he kept twisting and his arm would catch the side of the carbon block, but I finally got it to work.
I think it will look cool if I can put a Vader and a Bespin Luke on this.

Thanks again, everyone!

mark2d2
03-19-2002, 01:47 PM
See if they'll give you the additional discount. Most stores have a two week policy that if the price changes they'll do a price adjustment for you.

I'd seriously check this out if I were you. I'd be very surprised if they said "No."

AT-AT Man
03-19-2002, 02:28 PM
can anyone post a link at where i can pick one of these up. thanks ahead of time.

Lman316
03-19-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
See if they'll give you the additional discount. Most stores have a two week policy that if the price changes they'll do a price adjustment for you.

I'd seriously check this out if I were you. I'd be very surprised if they said "No."

Nah, I'll just let the two bucks go. It's not that big of deal, but if it were something like a $5 or $6 difference, I would.

can anyone post a link at where i can pick one of these up. thanks ahead of time.

http://swfan.wizards.com/

For right now, it's right on this page. They might move it if they get some newer stuff, and if they do, you just have to click on where it says "Action Figures". It would be on the big list of stuff there.
Hope that helps.

AT-AT Man
03-19-2002, 08:03 PM
Thanks man, i'v been searchin fr one of these foe a wile

Lman316
03-22-2002, 12:04 PM
It seems that the online fan club likes to play around a bit.
Remember when I said that they dropped the price from $18.99 to $16.99 in just a few days. Well now the dang thing is only $12.99.
I figured that $6 was a significant number, so I decided to write this time and find out about a refund. They just got a ton of stuff added to their list so I could use that $6 to buy some more.
But, I bet they'll refund the $6 and drop the thing to $5 or something.
It's always my luck :crazed:

JEDIpartner
05-31-2002, 12:59 PM
I just ordered one today for $10.99

:D

billfremore
05-31-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I just ordered one today for $10.99

:D

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH! :mad:

I've got to stop getting sucked in by those "limited time only" offers and paying full price. :frus:

JEDIpartner
05-31-2002, 01:12 PM
Sorry there Bill... I hope this doesn't tarnish our relationship here at SSG. I wasn't really going to buy this one, but ended up doing so just to make my order "worthwhile". I had bought a couple "closeout" books for $4.99 and ordered the Amidala headpiece for a co-worker's Halloween costume ($5.99)... I just threw this one in 'cos it was there.

billfremore
05-31-2002, 01:16 PM
Ahh, donworryboutit.

I honestly don't think I'll ever buy anything from the fan club again.
The shipping to Canada is atrocious.
$17.99 regardless of how much you buy.

No thanks

ggmorton
05-31-2002, 02:45 PM
Hello everyone,
Any of you who have the Carbon Freeze Chamber,
did it come shrinkwrapped? Most of the other playsets
I have seen were all just taped shut. This one was
shrinkwrapped. I am thinking that the SW Fan Club
is trying to pull the wool over my eyes. Since I am
not going to open it, how do I know if it is really
inside. Just the pessimist in me I guess.
Thanks,
Gil

Deoxyribonucleic
05-31-2002, 03:11 PM
Shake it...if there is noise and you "feel" something inside then at least you know they put "something" in there hehe :D

J/k...I ordered mine a long time ago for full price I hate to admit but mine did NOT come shrink wrapped and the only guesses I have are 1. someone returned it that didn't want it so they shrink wrapped it closed or 2. it was the "show" model hehe or 3. someone there took it out of the orginal taped box for whatever reason and then to make it look "fresh" again, shrink wrapped it.