PDA

View Full Version : Preview Clone Trooper's rifle seems awfully familiar...



JediTricks
03-14-2002, 12:27 AM
Because the forward part is actually a modified, enlarged, upside-down Stormtrooper blaster! What the heck is that about?!? Is it like that in the movie? I think the rear section of the rifle that isn't the Stormie blaster may be the rear of the old Stormtrooper rifle as well. This is all extra strange to me because this accessory is definitely not rehashed from any previous Star Wars figure accessory.

pthfnder89
03-14-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Because the forward part is actually a modified, enlarged, upside-down Stormtrooper blaster! What the heck is that about?!? Is it like that in the movie?

The art designers on the movie were probably putting in similarities on purpose; bridging the gap between the older weapons and the OT weapons.

LTBasker
03-14-2002, 05:56 AM
I was wondering when someone else would notice this, I didn't think it was that unobvious to others. :cool:

The front half is indeed an upside down beefed up standard Stormtrooper blaster, you can tell by the clip on the barrel which is supposed to be the FOLD-OUT stock and the scope (something about having a scope on the bottom of the gun is weird...) and the back half is from the Imperial Rifles we got with our CTC Stormies. I checked out the trailers, fortunetly it doesn't look exactly the same in the trailers, it looks rather different I think (need some better views) and so it's weird Hasbro would be do this...

JEDIpartner
03-14-2002, 09:39 AM
perhaps he borrowed the rifle from some cantina patron!;)

evenflow
03-14-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89


The art designers on the movie were probably putting in similarities on purpose; bridging the gap between the older weapons and the OT weapons.


Exactly.

Casual George
03-14-2002, 03:48 PM
Whatever the case this is a bad-*** weapon and the Clone Troops are gonna open up a serious can of whoop-*** on the Trade Federation and their cronies!:D

Casual George
03-14-2002, 04:02 PM
Here's another.

pthfnder89
03-14-2002, 04:53 PM
So that IS how they look in the movie.

Thanks for the scans Casual George.

LTBasker
03-14-2002, 04:56 PM
I dunno, from what I saw from the trailers, they don't look exactly the same, that could be fan done or something, but anyone got a clear picture from the trailers??

Tycho
03-14-2002, 05:23 PM
Anyone consider the Republic is using interchangeable parts?

It is a modifiable rifle that can be quickly converted to the standard stormtrooper gun (in the movie universe).

I just made that up, though I think it sounds plausible.

For heavy assaults, the rifle holds additional power and size for careful aiming, such as in air-to-surface use as the troops maybe also using hand weapons to fire from the gunships as they land.

Once down, for light patrol, or quick draw capabilities, the end is pulled off, attached to the stock and trigger parts, and the scope is repositioned.

Like I said I made that up but it might be plausible. - and no, the toy one doesn't do that, but a role-play could....

JediTricks
03-14-2002, 10:01 PM
Sorry Tycho, I don't buy it, the blaster portion is WAY bigger than the regular Stormie blaster, probably by double. Plus, one of the strongest portions of a gun like the stormie blaster has to be the handle, so a removable handle wouldn't be logical.

Those pics you got there Casual George are pretty handy, and it looks like the "blaster" part is smaller there than on the toy. It's interesting how in both, the stock is longer than in the toy. I was kinda wondering why the butt would be so close to the grip, your pics make me think the toy SHOULD have been pushing against the figure's bicep, but Hasbro didn't want that.

One thing I've been kinda bugged about with the prequels is how they're taking OT things and "de-evolving" them. The Stormtrooper blaster and rifle are 2 totally different real-world weapons from WWII, a British machine gun and a German machine gun. Why doesn't Lucas just use modified older versions of these real-world guns instead of making up new ones? The Droid Blaster from Ep 1 is a perfect example, this thing is way more complex than the Stormie blaster we see 32 years later (in movie time).

Jayspawn
03-15-2002, 12:25 AM
I really like the Clonetrooper's rifle. Hasbro put some great detail into it. And Hasbro doesn't often do that with accessories.

LTBasker
03-15-2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
One thing I've been kinda bugged about with the prequels is how they're taking OT things and "de-evolving" them. The Stormtrooper blaster and rifle are 2 totally different real-world weapons from WWII, a British machine gun and a German machine gun. Why doesn't Lucas just use modified older versions of these real-world guns instead of making up new ones? The Droid Blaster from Ep 1 is a perfect example, this thing is way more complex than the Stormie blaster we see 32 years later (in movie time).

Well, since they've got the better technology they don't need to make the blaster props out of real guns because they don't need them to fire blanks for the shot, basically they just act like they're firing. Did you see the Naboo forces blasters? They were just taken from a mold... :cry: The OT guns give of a more realisitic feel, y'know?

stillakid
03-15-2002, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Casual George
Whatever the case this is a bad-*** weapon and the Clone Troops are gonna open up a serious can of whoop-*** on the Trade Federation and their cronies!:D

That thing looks like it runs on gasoline. Where's the pull start?

hukilu
03-15-2002, 03:17 AM
I'm sure all will be revealed when the visual dictionary is released and history is written for every gun, stitch and vehicle. I like the idea of bridging the gap with familiarties. Also it does make sense that Stormtroopers would carry a smaller gun that probally kicks the same if not more punch than the Clone troopers' gun.

pthfnder89
03-15-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker


Well, since they've got the better technology they don't need to make the blaster props out of real guns because they don't need them to fire blanks for the shot, basically they just act like they're firing. Did you see the Naboo forces blasters? They were just taken from a mold... :cry: The OT guns give of a more realisitic feel, y'know?

Yeah, I really kind of miss the old, low-budget weapons from the OT. I mean we know that the prop designers still use crazy little things like womens razors for some props, but I think every single wepaon in TPM was just plastic from a mold. I think building off of real life guns made the OT weapons seem much more convincing and real. Especially in the way the actors handled them.

You could see on ANH that Hans Blastech was real, heavy metal because of the way he held it. And when Leia and Luke were firing the Stormie rifles they needed two hands to hold the huge thing.

I just don't think Amidala looked right when she was using that big Naboo blaster. It looked too easy for her, and for the rest of the guards, probably since it was mostly plastic.

corporal AMF
03-18-2002, 03:22 PM
Well the back is the same blaster rifle from th OT, a modified MG-34 german weapon from WWII. and the stormies weapon is a british post-war machinegun... it seems they took the idea and enlarged the shape...it's funny to see how in 30 years (movie time) the guns became less impressive, maybe building for an army like the empire needed standarizarion..:confused:

Fixer
03-18-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
(something about having a scope on the bottom of the gun is weird...)

Yeah, I noticed the scope on the bottom on those leaked pix of the Clonetrooper from a month or so ago. I'm glad they're referencing the OT that way, but I wish someone in the design department had the common sense of Ralph McQ. They have some great looking designs, but the mantra seems to be form over function, unlike the OT. Unless that's not supposed to be the scope. The folding stock on top also looks pretty stupid. Oh well. And I do think that is the final gun design.


Originally posted by pthfnder89
I think building off of real life guns made the OT weapons seem much more convincing and real.

Not to mention the blanks they fired gave them real kick. Of course seeing the shell casings coming out was a drawback. :)

stillakid
03-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Fixer

They have some great looking designs, but the mantra seems to be form over function, unlike the OT.

Actually, I think that that is the point. GL stated early on that the fictional designers of the Old Republic did put form over function as life had grown comfortable for everyone and they could afford such luxuries. It was that laissez faire attitude that allowed the Emperor to take over. That design sense can most readily be seen in the Naboo fighter, which has more artistic points going for it than any real usefulness as a machine of war. As the prequels push on into the OT, that design sense gives way to practicality and mass production.

Fixer
03-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by stillakid


Actually, I think that that is the point. GL stated early on that the fictional designers of the Old Republic did put form over function as life had grown comfortable for everyone and they could afford such luxuries. It was that laissez faire attitude that allowed the Emperor to take over. That design sense can most readily be seen in the Naboo fighter, which has more artistic points going for it than any real usefulness as a machine of war. As the prequels push on into the OT, that design sense gives way to practicality and mass production.

I agree with what you're saying, and I understand the concept behind the 'look' of the prequels. However, what bothers me is when the designs just don't make 'fictional-realistic' sense. On the Naboo N-1, we had to beleive that R2's head had some sort of extension device, a la E.T., to stick out of the top of the droid socket - take a look, there's no room up there for his shoulders. Now, we have detachable head R2's in the Jedi Starfighter. Why bother with an R2 head? Why not just build in the required navcomputer circutry? It's as if things are designed to be 'kewl' rather than make sense functionally. It's the difference between a Doug Chiang, who is a fantastic artist, and Ralph McQuarrie, who in addition to being a fantastic artist was also an experienced industrial designer. (I do realize that the R2 head thing was Lucas' decision and not Chiang's).

stillakid
03-19-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Fixer


I agree with what you're saying, and I understand the concept behind the 'look' of the prequels. However, what bothers me is when the designs just don't make 'fictional-realistic' sense. On the Naboo N-1, we had to beleive that R2's head had some sort of extension device, a la E.T., to stick out of the top of the droid socket - take a look, there's no room up there for his shoulders. Now, we have detachable head R2's in the Jedi Starfighter. Why bother with an R2 head? Why not just build in the required navcomputer circutry? It's as if things are designed to be 'kewl' rather than make sense functionally. It's the difference between a Doug Chiang, who is a fantastic artist, and Ralph McQuarrie, who in addition to being a fantastic artist was also an experienced industrial designer.


That makes sense. If I understand what you're getting at, it would be to have the prequel designs have that artistry of a Republic at peace along with functionality that is practical within the scope of current technology. IE, why bother designing a spaceship which requires a redesign of the droid that sits in it when the ship itself could have an integrated computer intelligence in the first place?

I don't mean to bash Doug or Ralph, but the OT had it's problems as well. In particular, the scene in ESB when Luke is leaving Dagobah is presented with a few problems that were glossed over in terms of the preset design of the X-Wing. We see in ANH that the R2 units are meant to be lifted in via crane arm and dropped down into their sockets. Magically, R2 managed that feat on Dagobah without the technology. One might argue that Luke lifted the little guy up there via the Force in an off-screen moment, but the same problem occurred earlier on Hoth and presumably in ROTJ when they leave Tatooine.

The other problem is Luke getting into the X-Wing. We actually see the ladder on the side of the ship leading to the cockpit. Luke climbs it, but in the next set of shots, the ladder has vanished. There is no way for a pilot to get into the cockpit without a ladder or other external lifting device, but for the sake of storytelling, GL chose to "gloss over" some of those pesky little details.

The Naboo fighter "solved" the problem of the R2 unit by inserting it from underneath, but they were left with the shoulder issue. And the pilot still has a lofty perch to reach which would be nearly impossible to get to without climbing up on the wings and walking across the hull.

LTBasker
03-20-2002, 01:00 AM
R2 and the X-wing - On Hoth we was with the other Rebels in charge of the docking bay so most likely he was hoisted into the X-wing then they moved it. On Dagobah and Tatooine, quite possibly Luke did use the force. :cool:

Naboo Fighter - The R2 droids are hoisted into the ship by the shoulders, once inside their area the head is disconnected from the body but is still connected by wires so the head can see what's going on but the body can work in the protection of it's hold, we saw what happened in ANH to R2 when he was very revealed.

The Jedi Starfighter - The droid head is built-in, the thing I think most effective about instead of putting in the computer and putting in an astromech head is that astromechs seem to have the ability to think on their feet, so to speak for the Jedi SF droids. :p

The Ladder- I do believe that ladder is an extendable ladder that folds out of that side of the cockpit, possibly to get it out there is a button or he used the force. :D