PDA

View Full Version : Big ol' sale at Waldenbooks!

El Chuxter
03-14-2002, 01:21 PM
Last night I stopped in a Waldenbooks (taking a brief break from my neverending quest for figures) and found some pretty astonishing clearance buys:

Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive: $3.99
From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: $4.99
Aurra Sing: Dawn of the Bounty Hunters: $19.99

Not sure if this is everywhere, but Waldenbooks' clearances normally seem to be universal, so definitely worth checking these out. :D

2-1B
03-14-2002, 01:32 PM
Ooh, Star Wars to Indy looks cool. I have the Archive, it's a steal at that price! Now if my local store would only offer that Aurra Masterpiece . . .

Thanks for the update El Chuxter :)

El Chuxter
03-14-2002, 05:51 PM
I forgot to add that some Waldenbooks have The Star Wars Scrapbook on clearance as well (I think for $4.99). It was overpriced originally, but worth the clearance price.

I'm not 100% sure that Aurra was supposed to be on clearance. They only had one, which was in the middle of a mess of C-3PO's. . . but she was marked at $19.99, and I wasn't about to pass that up! :)

master jedi
03-14-2002, 10:09 PM
I mentioned that I found the figure guide and the Indy Jones/Star Wars books in the Just Found (USA) section book a week or two ago.

2-1B
03-15-2002, 01:25 AM
El Chuxter, I have heard other reports of Aurra being marked down to 19.99, but yours is the first time I've heard from someone saying he actually found it.

Did you get the Threeps book too? I got mine when etoys went under, I thought it was a good deal. A friend picked up the Vader edition for me at a Sam's Club for 10 bones, I still can't believe it :crazed:

El Chuxter
03-15-2002, 01:06 PM
I'd already picked up C-3PO on sale several months ago, but I think it was $19.99 at that point.

MJ, sorry about stealing your thunder there--I haven't checked Just Found in a while. (Ever since it started to get depressing what other folks were finding and I can't.)

2-1B
03-15-2002, 10:04 PM
Hey! I found an Aurra today at a different Waldenbooks :D There were loads of the Threepio set, but only 3 Sing sets. And the Archive was 3.99, but the other two books Chuxter listed were not available.

I haven't gone through the set yet, but it looks to be a nice addition at that price :)

hukilu
03-19-2002, 04:11 PM
They are a lot of great deals out there right now but I haven't found one better than my score last week.

I found the "The Star Wars Chronicles" book which has a cover price of $150.00 for ..........drum roll........... $49.95!

I thought it was a steal but I maybe thats because I am already crazy from buying a $50 book.

JetsAndHeels
03-22-2002, 09:57 AM
I was able to score the Action figure Archive for $3.99 last night at my Waldenbooks.
They also had the C-3PO and Aurra Sing collector series also for $19.99 each.
I am starting to wonder why Waldenbooks has better selection for stuff than TRU or some Wal-Marts....

stillakid
03-22-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by hukilu
They are a lot of great deals out there right now but I haven't found one better than my score last week.

I found the "The Star Wars Chronicles" book which has a cover price of $150.00 for ..........drum roll........... $49.95!

I thought it was a steal but I maybe thats because I am already crazy from buying a $50 book.

I just bought one of these from Amazon for the $50 price. Whoo hoo!

El Chuxter
03-22-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

Crap in a hat! Don't tell my girlfriend--she got it off Amazon just a couple of months ago for $105. She'll have a cow if she finds out. :crazed:

stillakid
03-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter

Crap in a hat! Don't tell my girlfriend--she got it off Amazon just a couple of months ago for $105. She'll have a cow if she finds out. :crazed:

I just got off the phone with her. By the way, you might not want to go home just yet... :p

JediTricks
03-23-2002, 01:12 AM
Chux, don't try on any hats either. :D

stillakid
03-23-2002, 01:37 PM
One more thing, if she does find out, can you post pictures of that cow delivery. I hope you have a barn out back.:D

Rollo Tomassi
03-23-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

Thanks for the heads up stillakid! I've wanted one of these forever. It was one of the two things I asked for for Christmas. The other was the teaser poster. I didn't get either. But $50 is way better than $150. I'm glad I waited.

OC47150
03-28-2002, 01:39 PM
I've snagged the Aurra Sing set, the action figure archives, the scrapbook and the Star Wars and Indy books in the last month at my Waldenbooks. All, and the C-3PO set, are still plentiful in my area.

I have a co-worker who works part-time at Waldenbooks at nights and weekends. Whenever these books start showing up, I ask her to keep an eye out for me.

Rollo Tomassi
04-01-2002, 03:30 PM
My Star Wars Chronicles just came from UPS! hooray!

I strongly urge anyone who doesn't have this book to go to Amazon.com and plunk down the $50. It is well worth the amount of information crammed into this book!!

2-1B
04-01-2002, 03:41 PM
Rollo, when did you order it? I just checked Amazon (I'd like to get one for 50 bones) and they have it for 105 . . .

Rollo Tomassi
04-02-2002, 09:49 AM
I beleive hukilu and stillakid and I all bought it "used" from halfpricebooks.com which is linked to Amazon on the left side of the screen. They aren't really used books, it's just an online clearing house.

Click Here! (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/offering-page/index=fixed-price&field-offering-type=used&field-asin=081181498X&field-status=open&size=25&rank=+price/104-0619065-7844715) for other cheaper sites.

Rollo Tomassi
04-02-2002, 09:59 AM
But back to the SW Chronicles book. There's some cool pics that I wouldn't mind being seen made into toys.

Page 154. The moveable gantry system for reparing and maintaining X-Wings. Make it with "working" hydraulics so you can raise it above a dinky vintage/POTF2 X-Wing, or the bigger FX/25thA version. Maybe even include a rebel tech as a pack in.

Page 208. A composite shot of the Alliance fleet at the end of ESB shows a tantalizing glimpse of six spacecraft waaaaaay tiny in the background. I want closer looks at those ships.

Not to mention all the creatures from the cantina and Jabba's palace that didn't make it into the movie.

This book is great!:D

2-1B
04-03-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
I beleive hukilu and stillakid and I all bought it "used" from halfpricebooks.com which is linked to Amazon on the left side of the screen. They aren't really used books, it's just an online clearing house.

Wonderful! I just placed my order, a reasonable 53.47 after shipping!

I can't wait to get my paws on it :crazed:

Thanks! :)

2-1B
04-06-2002, 05:08 AM
:cry: Amazon has refunded my card because HPB are sold out. :cry:

I shall look further.

Rollo Tomassi
04-06-2002, 08:15 AM
Duuuuuuuuude...that sucks. I hate when places confirm your order and then e-mail you back two days later and say "Guess what...":(

I hope you find it at one of those other online clearing houses...

2-1B
04-20-2002, 02:16 AM
I got it yesterday! It's everything I hoped for and more! :D I have yet to look through the whole book, I can't even read anything because I keep turning the pages.

Condition is quite acceptable, not any major damage other than the missing front clasp. Oh well, I paid $40 for it, nothing to complain about!

Thanks to everyone who recommended this book. :)

Jedi Drew
04-20-2002, 12:55 PM
Just picked up a set of Twenty Lito Reproductions done by Doug Chiang from E1. These things are GREAT:D . They come in a nice silver tin with an intro by Chiang. The best part is that the were ONLY $7.99 for all twenty. The regular price on the back of the tin read $55.00. I couldn't pass this one up.:D :D

stillakid
04-20-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Drew
Just picked up a set of Twenty Lito Reproductions done by Doug Chiang from E1. These things are GREAT:D . They come in a nice silver tin with an intro by Chiang. The best part is that the were ONLY $7.99 for all twenty. The regular price on the back of the tin read $55.00. I couldn't pass this one up.:D :D

I hope that that isn't the one I picked up at Magic of Myth in Toledo for $55 bucks. (groan)

Taichi
04-21-2002, 02:38 PM
There's a stack of Aurras and Threeps at my local Waldens, but no Action Figure Archives, or Scrapbooks (Shame, I want the Scrapbook)

OC47150
04-21-2002, 03:42 PM
The litho sets have been reordered at my Waldens. They went very quickly, as did the scrapbooks.

Plenty of Masterpiece 3POs and Aurra Sings left.

JediTricks
04-21-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Drew
Just picked up a set of Twenty Lito Reproductions done by Doug Chiang from E1. These things are GREAT:D . They come in a nice silver tin with an intro by Chiang. The best part is that the were ONLY $7.99 for all twenty. The regular price on the back of the tin read $55.00. I couldn't pass this one up.:D :D I bought this one last year for $15, it's pretty cool. If anybody sees these and is interested, they're easy to break into, so make sure yours has everything in good condition before you purchase.

I haven't seen any Aurras or 3POs yet.

Jedi Drew
04-22-2002, 08:11 AM
My Litho's were sealed in plastic so I knew that they weren't opened.

JediTricks
06-16-2002, 07:37 PM
Picked up the Star Wars Scrapbook at Barnes & Noble for $5.98 a few days ago. Everything was actually inside and it was in good condition!

OC47150
06-17-2002, 08:42 AM
My Waldenbooks got a new shipment of the Doug Chiang Phantom Menace collectible artbook in last week. I picked that up for $8 and a 2000 edition of a price guide for $2.

I'm visiting a Barnes and Noble later this week to see what they have to offer!

darthdeogg
06-18-2002, 08:21 PM
I picked up the TPM Tin lithograph set at a Waldenbooks for 7.99, and my best friend found one at a B&N for like 10 bucks. I'm just happy I DIDN'T pick one up when they were 56 bucks!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-19-2002, 11:25 AM
I have to drive 25 miles to find a Waldenbooks (or 35 miles if I go west). Booo!!! :mad: There used to be one 7 miles away, and now it's a Foot Action... :frus:
Cost for Book Q... $xx.xx
Cost for Book Z... $yy.yy
Cost for Book K... $@@.@@
All these sales... useless. :(

Oh, why must I be tortured so? It is utterly impossible for me to get in on these deals. It's hopeless, hopeless... ;)

lazy (adj.) 1. disliking activity or exertion, 2. sluggish, 3. Bel-Cam Jos :zzz: :D

OC47150
06-19-2002, 12:08 PM
The litho boxed set is nice but it's not $56 nice. I'm glad I waited.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Wait, Waldenbooks?

Psyche! Gotcha!

Or, did I? Nah. I just didn't want to start a new thread, just stolened an old one.

The school where I work had a book faire yesterday at the local Barnes & Noble. Not only a percentage of sales to go to the school, but there were various spirit events from students and staff there: poetry reading, cheer and dance performers, band playing, etc. Really neat, really cool. But... I picked up a SW book and I went to buy some "underground" and fairly unknown books for my classroom library. One by a Miller guy, called The Crucible, and another by that FS Fritzgerm-whatever dude famous for the Benjamin Button movie, titled The Great Batboy or something. Not on the shelves for Fiction & Literature nor Drama & Plays?!? Oh. They put them in the High School Reading section (makes some sense I guess; but not in BOTH sections?) which is... right behind all the performers. The employees had no qualms about picking out copies or speaking in full-volume voices, but I said I'd wait until the kids were done. And, the "You Might Be Interested In..." part of my receipt suggested some other Miller plays: Death of a Salesman, All My Sons, and The Crucible? Really? Didn't your high tech computer register know I just bought that one? Eh, for a good cause.