PDA

View Full Version : Natalie feels like a prostitute in AOTC

Lord Malakite
03-14-2002, 04:02 PM
MSNBC reports the following:

Natalie Portman says kissing co-star Hayden Christensen in the next “Star Wars” installment “Attack of the Clones,” made her feel sort of like a prostitute. “It feels so weird being told to kiss someone you don’t want to kiss,” Portman told the Scottish Daily Record. “You feel almost whorish being told what to do in a sexual way. Many girls would love to kiss Hayden, but we are friends and I just don’t feel that way about him.”

Lord Tenebrous
03-14-2002, 04:18 PM
Yes. That's what she wants you to think. :sur:

JetsAndHeels
03-14-2002, 04:23 PM
Well, Natalie may not like it, but I am sure Hayden does!!
What I wouldnt give to be him and kiss her.

Jargo
03-14-2002, 04:25 PM
Why she's nothing but a strumpet.... a floozey! A jezebel! A temptress, a siren, a harpy, a hump bucket.......

allegedly..... :sur:

remember when they filmed in Sydney, they went for long walks down on the beach together............... :evil: norty norty!

JetsAndHeels
03-14-2002, 04:35 PM
I have a feeling they really do like each other.
I mean two young people like that showing chemistry on the screen, it seems natural that they would begin to feel very intimate and close.
I still would give anything to be Hayden!!

pthfnder89
03-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
I have a feeling they really do like each other.
I mean two young people like that showing chemistry on the screen, it seems natural that they would begin to feel very intimate and close.

True, but I think she's telling the truth about not liking him that way. In a newspaper interview with Hayden posted on theforce.net the other day, Hayden seemed pretty damn cocky saying that "I work harder than any other actor my age".

That was followed by a quote from Natalie about how he criticised her when they were filming some scenes because she wasn't being serious enough. She was poite about it, but she didn't seem to thrilled with him as a person.

Jargo
03-14-2002, 05:12 PM
Lovers tiff. Means they're sweet on each other:crazed:

LTBasker
03-14-2002, 05:28 PM
Didn't she also say something against kissing one of her co-stars in Anywhere but Here or Where the heart is? I mean it was told it was to be a love story, but geez, if she "didn't" want to do it then you'd think there would be something somewhere where she could've forced them to not include the kissing scene.

Eh oh well, she could be pulling a Britney Spears, or she couldn't, back onto more important issues! Clone Trooper armies... :cool:

Co Jo-Da
03-14-2002, 06:24 PM
Kissing someone you hardly know is part of acting, I guess she didn't get the MEMO...

Darth Ovori
03-14-2002, 07:11 PM
ohhh... and she was'nt shy in the Professional... ???

Hey, it's part of the job dammit, if I earned 2 mills a year I would'nt complain about grabbing my friends...

derek
03-14-2002, 07:14 PM
hey LTBasker,

natalie said doing the love scene in "where the heart is" was the worst day of her life. she said the same things about her love interest in that film she said about hayden, and that guy who played "forney" in "where the heart is" isn't anywhere near as "pretty" as hayden.

she also said previously she would never do nudity, but then later her agent said she would consider all roles.

InsaneJediGirl
03-14-2002, 08:46 PM
If this is right,then its old news.I read it in the National Enquirer..
back in Oct/Nov.Okay..Okay..I know the Enquirer doesnt
really have "note-worthy" reports all the time but they do
have some things correct.
:rolleyes: :crazed:

derek
03-14-2002, 11:12 PM
there were reports of her and hayden seen hand in hand at harvard last year.

2-1B
03-15-2002, 12:19 AM
Hollyweird and harlotry go hand in hand. Sorry Nat ;)

mark2d2
03-15-2002, 04:17 AM
Egads. Both Natalie and Hayden should just shut up. Seriously, every day I read yet another vapid or cocky or obnoxious quote from one of them. It's embarrassing. Hayden needs to get over himself. Being the Hardest Working Young Actor really isn't that impressive. Ever been on a set? Most of the time you just sit around goofing off. Talk about exhausting.

Sorry, but his cracks about Mark Hamill were just plain tacky and out of line. It left a really bad taste in my mouth. Don't these people have publicists? How can they have gotten this far and been so dumb?

LTBasker
03-15-2002, 04:31 AM
Well, watch the Jake Lloyd test on the DVD and you'll see, George rocks, but sometimes his decisions are rather... :stupid:

2-1B
03-15-2002, 07:21 AM
I agree LTBasker, but I was surprised at the 3 kids who made the final cut . . . suddenly Jake Lloyd seemed perfect :D

Mark2D2, I agree Hayden never should have said that publicly. Maybe he's confusing reality with his character in AOTC. It's Anakin whose skills have made him arrogant, Hayden should be a bit craftier in his assessments :)

SithDroid
03-15-2002, 12:54 PM
If indeed Hayden did say all these things then that gives me less respect for him. I for one am an actor and I absolutely loathe actors who have extremely huge egos and talk about how great they are. So he thinks he is the Hardest Working Actor His Age. Whatever, he's new on the scene so he can't be working THAT hard. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of lesser known actors that put in a whole lot more than he does. He had better impress me with his acting ability in AOTC or I'll be the first one to start the thread "Hayden, worst choice for Anakin..."

mark2d2
03-15-2002, 02:14 PM
Caesar --- is that sarcasm or are you serious? Because I thought Jake was by far the worst of the three. My God, he couldn't even get the lines out. There was one who I thought really nailed it --- but the Lucas and his "brilliant" entourage said he "only hit the beats." Whatever.

pthfnder89
03-15-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
Caesar --- is that sarcasm or are you serious? Because I thought Jake was by far the worst of the three. My God, he couldn't even get the lines out. There was one who I thought really nailed it --- but the Lucas and his "brilliant" entourage said he "only hit the beats." Whatever.

That's what I thought also. I grant you, some of the boys they showed were MUCH worse than even Jake, but of the final 3, he was definintely not the best choice.

Sorry, but his cracks about Mark Hamill were just plain tacky and out of line. It left a really bad taste in my mouth. Don't these people have publicists? How can they have gotten this far and been so dumb?

That line also really made me wonder where his manager or publicist was. I mean anyone who has seen Mark Hamill act in other movies can pretty much agree that he just really isn't that good. But he is a very nice guy and he works hard, and doesn't deserve to be bashed in a public interview by a snot kid who is just starting out. I thought that was really uncalled for.

mark2d2
03-15-2002, 03:00 PM
Hey, Mark Hamill may never win an Oscar. But he was never as "FLAT" as Hayden is in the trailers. Hayden takes me back to highschool theatre auditions in Fargo N.D. --- the people who didn't make callbacks. Hayden better be much better in the film. But frankly, I'm beginning to have my doubts.

That Robin casting chick really seems to be screwing up the films.

SithDroid
03-15-2002, 05:08 PM
Hey, Mark Hamill may never win an Oscar. But he was never as "FLAT" as Hayden is in the trailers. Hayden takes me back to highschool theatre auditions in Fargo N.D. --- the people who didn't make callbacks. Hayden better be much better in the film. But frankly, I'm beginning to have my doubts.

I agree. Where did they find Robin at anyway? It isn't like she's that talented of a casting director. She has only done the casting for the SW prequels, James and the Giant Peach, and two other low budget films. I think that a lot of casting directors are failed actors and actresses. The reason I think this is because I've been in front of a couple of casting directors and they always try to give you advice and they are also the ones that have to read you each of your cue lines. I swear, some of them don't even try to act and sometimes when you do get one that tries, they suck.

I also agree about Hayden. His line delivery in the trailer seemed really lame. It looked exactly like you said, a bad highschool theatre audition. He better make up for it in the film or I'm giving up on him and the prequels altogether.

By the way, Ryan Phillipe would have been a much better choice to play Anakin.

pthfnder89
03-15-2002, 07:06 PM

That is REALLY putting a lot of blame on Robins shoulders that just doesn't belong there. And to say that she is the one screwing up the prquels is a major exaggeration.

She is responsible for searching through thousands of potentials actors and actresses for the roles, but for major parts like Anakin it's Lucas and McCallum who choose who they like best out of the finalists. You can bet that considering what was at stake and how personal the movie is for him, George Lucas saw at leasst the 20 to 30 auditions or more. And he's the one who made the descision.

If you feel the need to blame someone for Haydens acting, blame Hayden. If you need to blame the person who chose him for the part, blame George Lucas.

Sorry if I sound too angry, but it really bothers me when some people just find someone to blame, despite the facts.

Jargo
03-15-2002, 08:46 PM
Comparing the speeder bike chase from ROTJ to the hotrod chase from AOTC it's easy to see that the problem lies in working with bluescreen sets and only being given a couple of lines to speak with no lead in and no idea where the dialogue will fit in the overall movie, It's all filmed out of sequence on different days. And the actors never get a whole script to read other than the initial read through of a rough draft. Mark hamill sounds off in the same way that Hayden does.

Working in those conditions completely cold and just being told to say the line and then jump is not acting. It's being a trained seal.

I'm not surprised in the least that the acting stinks because it isn't acting. The scenes that have more dialogue are better but also suffer from the lack of lead in or script to refer to.

As an actor I've done jobs similar in nature where all I was given were a few lines to deliver cold and it's really hard to do. I've mentioned before that the casting should be done with a blue screen to see how actors respond to it. From the footage of Haydens screen test that's been seen, it's clear that they worked on it a while and he was in comfortable surroundings with dialogue that made sense in the context of a scene rather than an out of context fragment of a scene like the Hotrod clip from the trailer. Filming scenes shot by shot on different days and from multiple angles must get a little tiring and the dialogue will get stale when repeated endlessly because the lighting was wrong or the camera didn't pick up a move or whatever.

I think hayden was taken by surprise with this movie and bit off more than he could chew. I think Lucas is so bogged down with details that he forgets about performance. I think Robin Gurland is the same as any casting agent and looks mainly at how someone appears on camera in a beuaty kind of way. Casting is all about how you look not act. Are you tall enough, do you look good stood next to the leading lady, are your eyes/hair/teeth good or the right colour. Will you fit the costume they already made three months ago etc.

Acting is all too often left out of the equation. Sure Hayden is physically commanding and has a fitness that makes him ideal for the part with all the leaping and saber twirling. But he's a limited actor. Limited in the scope of his imagination. Place him on a real set and with real actors and I'm sure he'll work like a dream. He just seems to have a problem when there's nothing there to look at.

Imagine sitting in a yellow wooden speeder for days on end trying to 'see' the skyline of Coruscant and all the traffic. The escaping speedr of Zam, the electro flares they go through. It's taxing for the most experienced actor but for a newcomer it has to be damn near impossible. And then there's Ewan sitting next to you who's an old hand at it all. nerves. That's what comes across in Haydens performance to me - a bad case of jittery nerves. So eager to prove he can do it all and so nervous. I'd probably be the same. That's a lot of pressure riding on one guys shoulders. Especially with the next movie looming round the corner and the success of this one not certain.

pthfnder89
03-15-2002, 09:20 PM
That's a very interesting viewpoint Jargo. And I bet several points are very true. I'd be nervous as hell picking up on Episode 2 where most of my costars already had 3 years of experience working together.

Personally I haven't made any opinion of Hayden from the trailers. I thought that he was pretty flat in the last one, but the previous two he seemed fine to me. I really won't form any opinion of him until I actually see his performance in the movie, and in context.

LTBasker
03-15-2002, 10:03 PM
Hmm... I don't see how you can possibly compare Mark Hamill to Hayden, Mark is great IMO, especially when doing the Joker for the animated Batman stuff.

I really wish they had found someone else for Anakin, somehow Anakin just doesn't seem to fit the role right.
Especially when he's flaming Obi-Wan, it's not hard to act like an 8 year old but he doesn't seem to even be able to put that one off. :eek:

Hopefully the kid who plays Boba will be an ok actor, I've seen Vertical Limit which the guy who plays Jango was in, not too bad. He has a minor role but he's pretty good in it.

Ya know, Hayden is so terrible, he's probably gonna get an Oscar or more. It wouldn't :sur: me. :p

SithDroid
03-15-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
That's a lot of pressure riding on one guys shoulders. Especially with the next movie looming round the corner and the success of this one not certain.

I don't think they will know if it is a success or not. Here is what happens IMHO. I'll use TPM as an example. TPM made tons of money and went on to be the #2 grossing movie of all time (when it was released although HP now has the #2 sopt). The movie studio sees this as a success because it brought in tons of money. Do I, or we the fans see it as a success? That depends on how you look at it. Sure it was successful because it sold a lot of tickets, but is it going to be as memorable as the OT. No. Was it successful in the way that it was the MOST AMAZING MOVIE EVER. No. It suffered from weak dialogue, stupid CGI character (Jar Jar), stupid kiddy humor, and non-continuity with previously released movies. So in that sense it WASN'T a success. GL will see whatever he makes as a success, no matter what the fans or general public think, as long as it brings in a lot of money and it is the way he wants it to be. So will AOTC be successful? I am torn in that decision. Here is why.

1. Continuity might be hard to maintain seeing as GL has already screwed that up.

2. IMHO CGI has taken away from the storytelling element and leads a hand in, "look at how cool this movie is and what we can do."

3. Casting. Hayden has not impressed me in any of the previews I have seen. Hopefully this is only because of the editing.

4. The story. Hopefully we'll see some great storytelling, but IMO I don't think so.

The reason it will be a success:

1. All the fans out there will go and see it multiple times regardless of how good it is.

2. It will sell tons of tickets and make a ton of money for the studio.

3. The merchandising alone will take in a ton of money as well.

Personally I think a movies success should be determined by "cult status." I mean think about it. Movies like Evil Dead, UHF, Clerks, etc.... They never really took in a ton of money, but now have a huge fan following thanks to word of mouth and VHS and DVD. It is the diehard fans that will keep the movie alive and go to conventions and such. That is what IMO makes a movie a success. AOTC will be a success because it is a "SW movie" and SW already has a huge cult status. I think that we as the fans deserve to decide if it is worthy of being a success or not. As far as TPM goes, my vote goes with NOT. We'll have to see what AOTC brings us. Sorry to have gotten way off topic here. Back to what this thread is all about.

2-1B
03-15-2002, 11:19 PM

Sarcasm. :)

The first two that we see deliver the lines pretty cleanly (I agree that the second one was pretty "on"). But that's all we see of them. Yet we see Jake blunder several times, and they give the opinion that he had the most potential.

Yeah, that one girl tapped the lil guy's photo and said he only hit the beats, but what the hell else could he have done? It wasn't a very elaborate scene, they only had to ask a fairly simple question from the familiar view of a young boy.

The way they edited that doc together, they are really pushing him as the best kid. Outtakes that make some people question the choice for Anakin are the same outtakes they decided to show us to defend their choice.

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Sure Hayden is physically commanding and has a fitness that makes him ideal for the part with all the leaping and saber twirling. But he's a limited actor. Limited in the scope of his imagination. Place him on a real set and with real actors and I'm sure he'll work like a dream. He just seems to have a problem when there's nothing there to look at.

That's a great evaluation Jargo :) The only work of Hayden's that I have seen is Life as a House, and I think he is great in that movie. I'm excited to see how he does in AOTC, but it's a very real possibility that I won't like him nearly as much as in LAAH. Having said that, if I don't care for him as Anakin I will have to agree with your thoughts that he is limited by imagination.

El Chuxter
12-05-2010, 02:46 AM
Interesting to look at this thread, in light of some of her more recent movies (cough, Black Swan, cough cough).

Maradona
12-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Interesting to look at this thread, in light of some of her more recent movies (cough, Black Swan, cough cough).

There's a red band trailer for a film she's in next year, Your Highness, where she pleasingly appears in the buff. The trailer was hilarious at times, though I'm not a fan of drug-humor. I'll definitely go see it, though, as will many, I suspect, once they see her in the trailer.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I'll definitely go see it, though, as will many, I suspect, once they see her in the trailer.Put this phrase together with the title of this thread, and you could get in trouble.

trailer (n): 1) one who trails, 2) a short preview clip of a film meant to increase interest in the full film, 3) a mobile carriage kept behind a moving vehicle for storage purposes while travelling, 4) a stationary dwelling, often used for actors in films to prepare/sleep/relax [see "don't bother knocking" axiom] before filming scenes.

Maradona
12-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Put this phrase together with the title of this thread, and you could get in trouble.

trailer (n): 1) one who trails, 2) a short preview clip of a film meant to increase interest in the full film, 3) a mobile carriage kept behind a moving vehicle for storage purposes while travelling, 4) a stationary dwelling, often used for actors in films to prepare/sleep/relax [see "don't bother knocking" axiom] before filming scenes.

Ah, the joys of being an English teacher...

sith_killer_99
12-05-2010, 11:34 AM
OMG, I just watched the trailer (short video clip of a movie definition) and it looks frickin' hilarious. :D

rickantel
12-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Ah, the joys of being an English teacher...
lollollollol

Qui-Long Gone
12-16-2010, 09:29 PM
3) a mobile carriage kept behind a moving vehicle for storage purposes while travelling

Bel,

It's traveling with one "L"...and yes, I could go for seeing Nat in a mobile home as a prostitute! Black Swan 2 perhaps?

JimJamBonds
11-13-2011, 01:34 AM
MSNBC reports the following:

Natalie Portman says kissing co-star Hayden Christensen in the next “Star Wars” installment “Attack of the Clones,” made her feel sort of like a prostitute. “It feels so weird being told to kiss someone you don’t want to kiss,” Portman told the Scottish Daily Record. “You feel almost whorish being told what to do in a sexual way. Many girls would love to kiss Hayden, but we are friends and I just don’t feel that way about him.”I wonder then how she feels about her role in Black Swan?

sith_killer_99
11-13-2011, 02:31 AM
I wonder then how she feels about her role in Black Swan?

Well, 9 years later, I'm sure she's over that aspect of her chosen career field.

JimJamBonds
11-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Well, 9 years later, I'm sure she's over that aspect of her chosen career field.9 years ago she may have felt uncomfortable but not so uncomfortable not to do it. I'd guess its the same today.