PDA

View Full Version : Darth Maul's Death

DarthSeattle
03-14-2002, 06:32 PM
I was tempted to post this under Episode II stuff because I think it's pertinent there, but here will be more appropriate.

Who expected Darth Maul to die in Episode I? I don't recall seeing any spoilers whatsoever on the net about that. That's why I take everything in the Episode II spoilers section with a grain of salt. There may very well be a few surprises.

Your comments, please.

2-1B
03-14-2002, 11:37 PM
I "knew" before the film's release that Maul would be cut in half, but at first I pictured him being sliced from head to toe :D Not very practical, eh?

Rollo Tomassi
03-15-2002, 08:43 AM
Before spoilers confirmed it, I thought both Qui Gon and Maul would have to be worked out of the story because it's about Obi Wan and Anakin's relationship and Anakin had to become the big bad Sith Lord Vader and you can't do that if Darth Maul is still running around.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-15-2002, 05:54 PM
I bought the CD before seeing TPM and found these songs:

"Qui-Gon's Funeral"
"Anakin Wins the Race"
"Darth Maul's Death"
"Losing Their Trade Franchise"
"Amidala is a Handmaiden"
"Anakin Builds a Protocol Droid"
"Jar Jar Lives"
"Istalling the New Hyperdrive"
"Palpatine is Sidious"
"Queen Breaks the Blockade"
"Palaptine is Elected"

So, no I wasn't surprised. I expect less musical spoliers for AOTC. :frus:

Pendo
03-17-2002, 04:08 PM
I knew of Maul's death before the release of the film. This may be because I ready the book before it was released:crazed:!
I remained mostly spoiler free for Episode I because I didn't have Internet access then so I don't know if there were many spoilers about his death. There probably were.

PENDO!

DarthSeattle
03-17-2002, 10:59 PM
Bel-Cam Jos,

I bought the CD before the release of the movie but didn't see the titles to the music until after I saw the movie so there wouldn't be any spoilers for me. I just checked my CD again, and I don't see some of the titles you mentioned and certainly not Darth Maul's Death. Which CD do you have?

And Pendo, didn't reading the book before you saw the movie take away from the excitement? I know I was pretty tense during the saber duel with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Certainly, I knew nothing would happen to Obi-Wan, but I didn't expect Darth Maul to bite it. If anything, I thought he would survive to at least Episode II, but certainly not past III. Are you planning on reading the Episode II novel before you see the movie?

icatch9
03-18-2002, 08:39 AM
I knew, but I didn't read any spoilers, or books, or even the CD. I didn't want to know at all. Some idiot at the mid-night sale turned around in the check out line and told me "Darth Maul Kills Qui-Gon, and Obi-Wan kills Darth Maul, so this Darth Maul figure is going to be worth alot". I didn't beleave that guy until I saw the movie and the scene was set up. I hated that guy, and curse him still. I didn't even know him, and wasn't even talking to him. And that Darth Maul is a real valuable figure now isn't it. Better get your hands on one before they are all gone!

DarthSeattle
03-18-2002, 09:27 AM
icatch9,

What a jerk that guy in line! Sorry to hear it. So are you staying away from spoilers in Episode II?

dr_evazan22
03-18-2002, 10:08 AM
I read the book before seeing the movie, but that only made me want to see the movie more. It was one thing to imagine the story as I was reading, but, being fairly spoiler-free, I wanted to see what everything looked like.

DarthSeattle
03-18-2002, 11:29 AM
Dr._Evazan22,

I was thinking about reading the book (Episode II), too, for the same reason, but I may want to let it unfold before my eyes first.

Pendo
03-18-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by DarthSeattle
And Pendo, didn't reading the book before you saw the movie take away from the excitement? I know I was pretty tense during the saber duel with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Certainly, I knew nothing would happen to Obi-Wan, but I didn't expect Darth Maul to bite it. If anything, I thought he would survive to at least Episode II, but certainly not past III. Are you planning on reading the Episode II novel before you see the movie?

That was a big mistake I must admit! I'm not reading the AOTC Novel until after the film.
I'm not really a heavy reader and it takes me about an hour just to read one page so I never thought I would have it finished before seeing the film but once I started I couln't stop. Terry Brooks' addaption was excelent, much better than the film itself.

PENDO!

DarthSeattle
03-18-2002, 03:02 PM
So Pendo,

You are speaking from experience? You read TPM before you saw the movie?

I saw that there was already a review for AOTC in this Forums section. I started reading it to see how much I could get away with it, but stopped before I got too involved. I didn't learn anything new. I want to see on the big screen first! I agree, the novelization for TPM was really good.

Pendo
03-18-2002, 03:14 PM
So Pendo,

You are speaking from experience? You read TPM before you saw the movie?

Yes. A BIG mistake! My advice is to watch AOTC before reading the novel. Then the film will not be spoilt and everything will suprise you!

PENDO!

evenflow
03-19-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
I bought the CD before seeing TPM and found these songs:

"Qui-Gon's Funeral"
"Anakin Wins the Race"
"Darth Maul's Death"
"Losing Their Trade Franchise"
"Amidala is a Handmaiden"
"Anakin Builds a Protocol Droid"
"Jar Jar Lives"
"Istalling the New Hyperdrive"
"Palpatine is Sidious"
"Queen Breaks the Blockade"
"Palaptine is Elected"

So, no I wasn't surprised. I expect less musical spoliers for AOTC. :frus:

I remmeber that too. I was like damn. I was avoiding the spoilers and then i bought the CD and saw that. It all went to hell then.

Creger5150
03-20-2002, 06:01 AM
I did everything to not find out what happened. Then the day before TPM came out, some @$$hole "shock jock" from Chicago, who saw a sneek preview, had his lacky drive around with a bullhorn giving away the ending. He did it so fast I didn't have a chance to change the station. What makes it worse, last summer he was blasting the Drudge Report for giving away the Planet Of The Apes ending. What a hyprocrite!!!!!

Darkross
03-28-2002, 10:53 AM
I read too many spoilers on the net and knew about Darth Maul and Qui-Gon. I was very disappointed when I saw the movie because it ruined the end for me. I have since avoided all spoilers for Episode II except what I've seen in the trailers.

DarthSeattle
03-28-2002, 11:22 AM
Good for you. I think I may know too much for Ep. III.

Darkross
03-28-2002, 11:28 AM
Good for you. I think I may know too much for Ep. III.

Me too, I read a rumoured script of Episode III early last year...but without seeing Episode II, there were alot of characters mentioned that I had no idea how they all fit into the story. Anyway...we at least know that Anakin will eventually become Darth Vader...but that's no surprise to anyone. But what will be a surprise (I suspect) is how it all happens. I really, really hope that GL makes it an amazing, mind blowing story...and not some cheezy, lame one where Anakin is only taunted by the darkside without a real reason for turning.