PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Kevin Smith movie...

Jayspawn
03-14-2002, 11:50 PM
I'd have to say that Dogma is my favorite of Kevin Smith's movies. I liked Jay and Bob and Chasing Amy too. But I liked how Dogma was written and how the story kinda goes about Jay and Silent Bob's characters.

You guys?

Wolfwood319
03-15-2002, 12:03 AM
I've got to go with Mallrats. I'm a comic guy, and and I'm really like the Brodie Bruce character. Mallrats applies to me the most. A close second is Clerks. Can't beat the original in terms of humor.

Beast
03-15-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Jayspawn
I'd have to say that Dogma is my favorite of Kevin Smith's movies. I liked Jay and Bob and Chasing Amy too. But I liked how Dogma was written and how the story kinda goes about Jay and Silent Bob's characters. You guys?
Gotta go with Chasing Amy here. He really went the distance to tell a really deep emotional story without cheapening the movie with a wild plot. Great movie, recommend it to all my friends. In order of preferance though, I gotta say:

1. Chasing Amy
2. Dogma
3. Clerks
4. Mallrats
5. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Though they switch position alot, this is just currently my favorites. They really can't be judged against each other as they are totally different genres in reality. Clerks (Comedic Documentary?), Mallrats (Slapstick Comedy), Chasing Amy (Dramatic Comedy), Dogma (Comedic Fantasy), J&SBSB (Comedy Buddy Picture). So it all depends on my mood, whether I wanna watch somthing heartwarming or somthing more silly.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-15-2002, 12:18 AM
I would probably put Chasing Amy at the top of my list, but I feel that movie gets bogged down toward the end. Holden really makes me dislike him as he (or Kevin Smith) concocts that IDIOTIC idea to resolve the trio's problems. That movie has heart most of the time, but that really irks me. Still, it's great :)

Mallrats is a close second, hilarious all around :D

Third is Jay and Silent Bob, it's just so goofy and fun.

Clerks is alright but I don't feel too strongly about it.
And Dogma does not make the list at all, I don't like it. Sorry, this is a favorites thread - I'll shut up now :crazed:

SithDroid
03-15-2002, 12:37 AM
1. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back. After watching this recently and all the deleted scenes, it has made it to the top of my list.

2. Mallrats. I have always loved this one although Kevin Smith really dismisses this one a lot. I have even been to the mall where they filmed it at. The mall is absolutely horrible inside. They really did a total makeover on the place for the movie.

3. Dogma. While this movie created a huge uproar in the religious community, it only egged me on to see it even more. Great writing and dialogue. Smith really thought this one through and I commend him for conquering such a touchy subject.

4. Clerks. The movie that started it all. Excellent writing and great storytelling without having to worry about special effects, different locations, different wardrobe, etc.... I also love the Black and White aspect. I don't think this film would have been as popular or looked as good had it been in color.

5. Chasing Amy. The sentimentality of this movie is what makes this my least favorite. I don't quite like romantic comedies and this one dragged a little for me. It has it's moments though.

stillakid
03-15-2002, 01:19 AM
Dogma

I just wish I could show it to my in-laws (it's a passive-aggressive thing)

2-1B
03-15-2002, 02:08 AM
For me, the more Jason Lee the better ! He's also a big reason why Chasing Amy and Mallrats are my favorites.

Rollo Tomassi
03-15-2002, 08:14 AM
It's hard to pick one when they are all so interconnected. I'd have to go with the original: Clerks. It's ballsy frankness about everything set the tone for all the films that would follow. but in essence, I see them all as equal and more than that, almost as one big film unto itself cut into chapters.

El Chuxter
03-15-2002, 02:10 PM
1. Dogma--Intelligently written, more satire than slapstick or farce, insightful, thought-provoking, and really funny.

2. Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back--Great slapstick, and the dead-on parody lightsaber battle was worth the cost of a ticket alone.

3. Mallrats--More great slapstick, a story that revolves around comics, and Stan Lee!

4. Chasing Amy--A little more serious, but still fun. This one seems like he hadn't quite gotten a feel for the more "serious" comedy.

5. Clerks--Not that it's bad by any means (it's got some of the best jokes in it), but it doesn't feel like a movie to me. I know that was the intent, but it feels more like a bunch of one-liners that somebody filmed.

Mike Troxell
03-15-2002, 05:04 PM
1. Chasing Amy--Not only my favorite Kevin Smith movie, but my favorite movie of all time. It has heart, and I find absolutely no fault in this movie at all.
2. Mallrats--Not a single joke falls flat. Good fun!
3. Clerks--Definitely groundbreaking comedy. Great characters, too.
4. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back--A decent effort by Smith, but that Chocolate Covered Pretzel reference still irks me.
5. Dogma--the worst of the best as I'd say. A story that takes Jay and Bob out of their goofy-yet-grounded-in-reality world. A good flick though and a decent satire.

Honorable mention: the Clerks cartoon. Huzzah!

Brave Sir Robin
03-16-2002, 01:12 PM
Please don't kill me, but I've never seen Chasing Amy or Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I'd have to say my favorite that I've seen is Mallrats. I mean, Stan Lee is in it! You can't beat that. And it has TWO scenes that pay homage to Tim Burton's Batman.