PDA

View Full Version : Waterworld!

Tycho
03-15-2002, 02:25 AM
I just watched this movie again. I like it every time I see it!

It was a great concept and well done!

I wished I'd collected the toys. It was the fact that the Mariner's boat never was released that disappointed me most!

Did anybody ever see that toy hit the shelves?

Anyway, I don't recall the figures being that good either. Didn't "Kenner" make them though?

Well, I jet ski quite often, so the whole thing about a fight on the water is way too awesome!

LTBasker
03-15-2002, 03:43 AM
Wow, someone ELSE who likes this movie! :sur:

The mariner's boat was released actually, if I remember right from the commercials (been a long time) it was rather big and quite cool. I think it could actually float too. :cool:

I'm not sure if it's only my state that has the channel but I've got digital cable and theres this channel called 'WAM' and they cut out some scenes like when they show the woman naked from the back and it doesn't show the two guys getting shot after the invasion but the best part is they add in alot of the deleted scenes, it's alot better than the regular version actually, explains alot of things that aren't all that noticeable unless you think about them, like how the Mariner got the jet ski, and how that land was possibly there but no where else. The scenes are listed on IMDb.com.

I'll actually admit it too, I like Kevin Costner, he's a great actor, IMO. Especially in Robinhood and The Postman, plus this of course.

I think alot of people just bash WaterWorld because Kevin Costner's in it but it's a great movie, nicely done, the stories on how everything fit into place is great. (especially with the deleted scenes) :happy:

Beast
03-15-2002, 03:50 AM
Hmmm, intresting. Tycho and LTBasker, two people who I usually agree with 95% in their ideas, both like this movie? Maybe I should actually rent it, and see if I like it as well. I have avoided it up til now, just from how bad I heard it was. Although I should know by now not to trust movie critics, just look at Roeper's comments about LOTR's. :mad: Hmm, does this mean "The Postman" isn't a worthless movie, either?

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
03-15-2002, 03:57 AM
The Postman is kinda boring in some parts, but an interesting movie to watch, it's a little long but pretty good.

WaterWorld, yeah I'd suggest you check it out, the special effects on it are quite good, if you don't like it, well at least it's some time you got to kill while waiting for E2. :D

2-1B
03-15-2002, 06:34 AM
I do remember the toys, in fact the reason I replied was to ask if one of the playsets was a retooled Ewok village . . . but a forest playset in a "waterworld" wouldn't make much sense, eh? :crazed: I was thinking of another Costner vehicle, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. That's where the playset is from.

I have not seen this movie, I doubt it could live up to the reverse hype that I've seen over the years. Even if I don't like it, it can't be as bad as many have made it out to be :confused:

Might I recommend director Kevin Reynolds' The Count of Monte Cristo?

derek
03-15-2002, 07:18 AM
jar jar,

waterworld was actually pretty good. the critics WANTED it to fail because at the time it was the most expensive film ever made, there were numerous problems on the set, including the director quitting and costner cheating on his wife while filming which led to his divorce. to have the film tank would of completed the circle for the evil wishing people. some of these critics actually get pleasure in watching others fail.
it's not the best film ever made, but surely not as bad as the press made it out to be.

2-1B
03-15-2002, 07:22 AM
derek, that part about the director is interesting - who quit? Kevin Reynolds is credited as director, was he a replacement? I'll have to snoop around . . .

mabudonicus
03-15-2002, 07:47 AM
I'd say 2, but you know...... C'mon guys!! "are you the guy with the dirt?" Maybe I saw another film, but if you truly are speaking of "waterworld".... Hmmmmm... IMO the whole concept of the film was ruined when they found LAND at the end(hope I didn't spoil it for ya Jar Jar!!) And how could Costner have been a trader when he'd never been to the only town on earth?? (maybe this gets explained in the cut scenes) The film is fun, for sure, but between the mysogeny(?) and the bad dialogue, I couldn't recommend it.
Postman? It's the "landworld" to "waterworld"s "Wet Max", IMO. I like how at one point, costners wife DIES OF OLD AGE, and kev has like one grey hair to show for all those years. And that scene where the horse thunders by, and the kid runs out, then the horse stops, turns around, grabs the mail from him, then thunders purposefully off at top speed IN THE DIRECTION HE CAME FROM ORIGINALLY- No WONDER the mail is so slow.
What about the fact that, in Postman, Costner rebuilds post apocalyptic america with LIES?!?! Didn't that bother anyone, just a little, or was it largely viewed as some sort of black humour??
PS I've seen this film 3 times, just not cause it was good, is all. Woooooooooo!!!!

Rollo Tomassi
03-15-2002, 08:09 AM
I absolutely love Waterworld. I think Dennis Hopper is great as the over the top villian. And Costner does a good job as the anti-hero. He's really a curmudgeonly meanie throughout the film. Smacking Jeanne Tripplehorn with the oar, cutting off the hair, taking the crayons. Not somebody you initially root for. I loved him. The best part was when the little girl waves at the pilot (played by Jack Black in his first film role!) and Kev smacks her on the back the head. "What are you thinking??" Classic. The little girl had a lot of great lines, too. Even the small roles by character actors blow me away. To this day, the deranged lonely sailor is my favorite Kim Coates performance ("resin..resin...have you got any resin...") I STILL go around quoting his dialogue.. The action scenes are intense and cohesive. I especially like the attack on the atoll. It has so much going on but runs very smoothly and is easy to follow who is doing what and what actions lead to others. And of course, the beautiful cinimetography. Plus, his boat was kickass and I want one!!:D I am waiting for the extended cut on DVD. There HAS to be a Waterworld Special Edition in the works. maybe with Reynolds/Costner commentary. it'd be fun to get those two in the same room. While they are in there they can do the Robin Hood commentary too.

Postman was a good film too with solid performances by Costner, Will Patton, Olivia Williams. I still don't know why critics drubbed that film so hard. it wasn't Oscar caliber and it was a little long, but I could watch it today and still be entertained.

Tycho
03-15-2002, 10:01 AM
You guys are making me want to watch Waterworld again! - and it's been less than 24 hours since I'd put it on!

It's not out on DVD though is it? That would be a good one I'd consider picking up.

Rollo Tomassi
03-15-2002, 10:03 AM
There's a crap movie only version out there, but like Robin Hood:Prince of Theives, or any Quentin Tarantino film, I refuse to get it in the hopes that a Special Edition is on the way.

SithDroid
03-15-2002, 11:57 AM
I avoid any movie Kevin Costner is in. He has to be one of the worst actors in Hollywood IMHO.

El Chuxter
03-15-2002, 12:09 PM
Wow, there are more like me. :)

I thought this movie was enjoyable--a tad brainless at times, and the science didn't work, but a fun watch. Dennis Hopper was excellent, and the score was good as well.

I think derek's right--critics wanted it to fail.

As for Postman, I've never seen it, but my girlfriend swears it's a great movie. And she's an English teacher who can't stand most of the action movies I like, so that's pretty high praise. Besides, Tom Petty's in it, so it has to be a four-star movie just because of that. :D

LTBasker
03-15-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
And how could Costner have been a trader when he'd never been to the only town on earth?? (maybe this gets explained in the cut scenes)

Nope, it explains it right there easily, there is a trading network, ship to ship or in some type of post. Btw, that wasn't the only "town" on Earth, it wasn't even a town, it was where those people lived, just like the people on the other place we see and hey, it's a big Earth so there could be hundreds of posts we didn't see. Just watch it and pay attention then boo afterwards, if you still don't like it that is. ;)

Originally posted by Caesar
derek, that part about the director is interesting - who quit? Kevin Reynolds is credited as director, was he a replacement? I'll have to snoop around . . .

First it was Reynolds then he quit and Costner took over for the rest of it.

Rollo Tomassi
03-15-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

First it was Reynolds then he quit and Costner took over for the rest of it.

More accurately, there was strife between the two on set, but Reynolds finished the film, turned in his cut, and walked out. Costner had to take over the "editing" to get the version we saw in theatres. Oddly enough after butting heads on both Robin Hood and Waterworld, these two chuckleheads are considering working together on a pirate movie about Okra Cove where Blackbeard had his final showdown with Capt. whatisname of the Royal navy...Get a clue you two.:crazed:

Tycho
03-15-2002, 01:02 PM
Kevin Costner is not a bad actor. No, not at all. He's done a handful of films I've really liked.

Wyatt Earp was awesome! It plays more like a drama than Tombstone (the better of the two on this story), but Wyatt Earp does go back and give you the whole biography of the lawman - it just lacks Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday, and in Tombstone, a lot of the Cowboys were played by better actors - like the guy who plays Johnny Ringo. Bill Pullman was good in Wyatt Earp too, though. Plus it had Gene Hackman who is a great actor!

Dances with Wolves was a very cool flick that made you think. It also just made you appreciate the simpler things in life. We couldn't live that way and be at peace with ourselves, just wandering like that - while having to tote our entire Star Wars collection on our backs ;)

And in J.F.K. he was convincing as Jim Garrison - or at least making a passionate alternative to what the government would have us believe happened to President Kennedy.

I don't have any issue with Kevin's acting ability. He takes good roles.

Wolfwood319
03-15-2002, 01:09 PM
I liked Waterworld. Its not my favorite film, but I thought it was good. It was definately one of the more original futuristic sci-fi movies out there.

They did in fact release the mariner's boat as a toy. I remember my KB toys had one for about 5 years, it was discounted to $3. It was still there the day the KB closed.:rolleyes:

Beast
03-15-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
There's a crap movie only version out there, but like Robin Hood:Prince of Theives, or any Quentin Tarantino film, I refuse to get it in the hopes that a Special Edition is on the way.
Quick note, Robin Hood: Prince of Theives is getting the special edition DVD treatment this year. Can't wait for this one. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
03-15-2002, 02:07 PM
Once I finally saw Waterworld, I was surprised at just how badly this film got dogged. It is ok, not the best movie ever, but I was entertained.

I actually like Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves quite a bit.

JEDIpartner
03-15-2002, 03:49 PM
I really enjoyed this movie as well. It was kinda like "Sea World presents Mad Max", but in a really good way. I thought the concept and the sets were good. I also thought the plot was sufficient to carry the viewer through the two hours of this film. It was probably one of the better Costner films that didn't have JFK in it. :D

SithDroid
03-15-2002, 03:57 PM
A majority of the films Kevin Costner stars in are ones that he helps produce. No one else is willing to hire him. I know this isn't supposed to be a I hate Kevin Costner thread, but I felt I needed to touch on the subject. I mean look at all the really bad movies IMHO that he has appeared in:

No Way Out
Bull Durham (while many people like this film I think it sucks)
Revenge
The Bodyguard
A Perfect World
Wyatt Earp (can't compete with Tombstone)
Waterworld (Mad Max rip-off)
Tin Cup
The Postman (another pathetic futuristic rip-off)
Message in a Bottle
For Love of the Game
3000 Miles to Graceland

The only good ones IMHO but not because of him but because the story and the other actors made them good are:

The Untouchables
Field of Dreams
Dances With Wolves
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
JFK

I can't comment on Thirteen days or Dragonfly since I haven't seen them, but they didn't look that great from the previews I saw of them. IMO the bad far outweigh the good. Also look at how many he has produced:

Revenge
Dances With Wolves
The Bodyguard
Wyatt Earp
Waterworld
The Postman
Message in a Bottle
Thirteen Days

It's not that hard to get cast in a movie that you produce. He has produced half of his latest movies. His acting career would be much more limited if he wasn't producing, which IMO would be all the much better for me.:)

I'm sorry if some of you like him, but I for one can't stand an actor that is the same in every movie. Heck he couldn't even do an English accent in Robin Hood. I can do one, so why not him. Is he just lazy? Nope, he's not talented enough. I'm done for now.

Tycho
03-15-2002, 04:01 PM
I won't presume to debate you, but I did forget about The Untouchables and I always plan to get around to buying that movie.

But yup! Waterworld is darn entertaining!

LOL - "SeaWorld meets MadMax!" - No doubt!

Mandalorian Candidat
03-15-2002, 05:00 PM
Hey Tycho and Basker,

Just one question...Did you guys also like the following movies?

The Last Action Hero
Heaven's Gate
Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot
Friday the 13th Part MDMCIX: Jason Takes on The Muppets

:) :) :) :)

JK. I thought the movie was OK, too. The best little nugget about the whole thing was that Hopper's ship was the Exxon Valdez. :D

SithDroid, come on! How could you not like No Way Out. It was a really cool thriller! The ending was really great, especially when Costner's buddy blows his head off.:dead:

derek
03-15-2002, 06:38 PM
mandalorian candidate,

i really liked "last action hero". i think those who don't missed the whole point of the film, which was a semi serious parody of action flicks, without going all the way like "loaded weapon" or "hot shots".

and for arnold to play a role parodying himself took some balls, in my opinion, especially after the macho success of "Terminator 2". since then, except for "true lies", he's been unknowingly doing a parody of himself, but that's another debate...

sith droid,

if you don't like costner, that's fine by me, but don't assume he couldn't get work just because he produces or directs most of his films. i get the idea he looks at himself than more than a "hired gun", just playing a role. what actor wouldn't like to have creative control over their projects? i just read an interview with guy pierce in which he said the "time machine" he saw in theatres is not the same film he made. kostner probably has experienced this and has taken advantage of his success, which i don't blame him for.

by the way "thirteen days" is pretty good.
i agree though that "for love of the game" and "tin cup" were not so good. "3000 miles to graceland" got really stupid at the end but could of had a chance if someone like tarantino was directing, and i never saw "message in a bottle".:)

Tycho
03-15-2002, 06:41 PM
I know you're kidding, but I needed to respond that I haven't seen ANY of those movies that you asked about anyway.

I sometimes wonder if I'd like Last Action Hero, but I never have been that motivated to watch it.

Recently Peal Harbor was the best new movie I'd seen in a long while.

I've missed some of the war movies I was interested in - Black Hawk Down, Behind Enemy Lines, Hart's War - I think there were a couple more. The media is paid off by the government to make war movies when we have a situation like Afghanistan. It was a common equasion in all my studies about the media's role in my political science courses.

Ordinarily, I would frown on public mind control practices like this, but I like war movies, so I don't really care That much. Still, I can't tell what is dumber - the American general public, or the intelligence level our government assigns to us.

2-1B
03-15-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
Friday the 13th Part MDMCIX: Jason Takes on The Muppets

Those Muppets had it coming :evil:

I like Costner. He has a lot of flicks under his belt, some I really like, and others I don't care for. I can't lay the blame completely at his feet for the ones I did not like :)

I'm excited by news of a Special Edition Robin Hood, I love that movie !

LTBasker
03-15-2002, 09:23 PM
I actually liked Tin Cup, 'course I like movies like that.

Last Action Hero I haven't seen for quite awhile, actually I haven't seen it all the way through, but I think it's ok, the kid wasn't all that great but from what I saw it was a good movie. :cool:

So they're making a Robin Hood: SE DVD, well it's ABOUT TIME. :happy:

Wolfwood319
03-15-2002, 11:58 PM
I think Costner is just as good as most of the actors in Hollywood these days. His good movies outweigh the bad, IMO. He's made some really great all-time films though, Field of Dreams and Dances with Wolves are 2 excellent films that deserve all the praise they got.

3,000 Miles to Graceland had some promise, and I really like Costner as a bad guy, but it did kind of fall apart at the end.

Some like him, some don't, its all relative. People have their own opinions, and one is no better than the next. Hell, a lot of people don't like Star Wars, but then again, some of us do. Its all relative.

Rollo Tomassi
03-16-2002, 07:45 AM
Kevin Costner in 3000 Miles to Graceland
Porkchop! porkchop! Greasy! greasy! We'll beat their ****in' team, easy easy! (Blows Air Horn) WOMBAAATS!!!

That was the goofiest movie I have ever seen. It didn't know what the hell it wanted to be. What was that showdown between Costner and the Highway patrolman? And the CGI scorpion fight during the opening credits? Definitely the director had "issues" that manifested themselves in that movie.

originally by Tycho
I've missed some of the war movies I was interested in - Black Hawk Down, Behind Enemy Lines, Hart's War - I think there were a couple more. The media is paid off by the government to make war movies when we have a situation like Afghanistan. It was a common equasion in all my studies about the media's role in my political science courses.

All three of the movies you just mentioned were in production, post production or in the can by the time we went into Afghanistan. So where do you make the connection the govt PAID them to be made? The proof seems to contradict your argument.

LTBasker
03-16-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
His good movies outweigh the bad, IMO. He's made some really great all-time films though, Field of Dreams and Dances with Wolves are 2 excellent films that deserve all the praise they got..

I completely forgot about Field of Dreams, that movie was great, especially with James Earl Jones. :cool:

Tycho
03-16-2002, 12:36 PM

All three of the movies you just mentioned were in production, post production or in the can by the time we went into Afghanistan. So where do you make the connection the govt PAID them to be made? The proof seems to contradict your argument.

I'm sure this will be controversial in a Oliver Stone type of way, but who's to say that insiders in our government (intelligence and their cooperative political counterparts) didn't already know we'd be going into Afghanistan.

I swear I hope that all the lives lost in the World Trade Center were not sacraficed for the selfish interests of those in power in our own hemisphere, but our government KNEW before Pearl Harbor, and these types of things can happen any time the general public is lax about watching their government.

We haven't found Osama Bin Laden yet, huh? Is it possible that's because he's a paid agent of the C.I.A.?

We hire all sorts of scum to do the jobs we can't, or it would look better having a scape goat doing. The intelligence game is a very tricky one, and things are a lot darker than our government would like to admit.

Everything that is done is executed in a way to sway the public opinion. A government still operates only by the consent of its people. But those elistists that can manipulate the law for their own personal gain in energy and natural fuel resources, as well as credit, international credit, and weapons sales, will do so with impunity the dumber they estimate the public to be. All would-be terrorists have to do is watch the Jerry Springer show to know just what level they can try to run a black-ops cover story for.

And finally, this country has supported the Jews in Israel as a matter of policy for - well ever since England ceeded its captured territory in "Palestine" and created Israel (By force of British guns) for the Jewish Holocaust Survivors. Homeless, or at least disenfranchised from their own land (supposedly - can Palestinians in Israel vote?), the Palestinian Muslems are suffering their own sort of Holocaust in a way. I don't know if the Jewish Israelis only replaced the Christian Brits as their oppressors, or if there were as much contention before the creation of Israel (with local land control) as their is now. Or is it because the Palestinians perceived the Jews to be weaker than the British Empire, and then the United States, World War II's real victor, suddenly moved in to sell weapons and train armies in Israel? Then the Israelis got tough as nails.

Now it's all about revenge and blood feuds between families and the governments have lost control.

Israel should ceede the captured territory they took in later wars following their nation's creation, and the United States should probably use armed forces to safeguard the "New Palestine's" borders from Israel. That would really tick our old allies off, but it would end this conflict. We can try to at least continue to have normal relations with Israel on our weapons deals and trade arrangements, but they need us - it's not the other way around. And Israel won't dare set to wage war against the United States. Too many of our families and citizens are interchanged. But that doesn't mean that leaving a people (the Palestinians) without a homeland is right.

I figure then the Muslem world would owe us one, that will serve justice to them, and if we want to topple Iraq and kill Sadam, they can look the other way and there can be justice for the Kurds and others that Sadam is executing or driving to extinction in his own country.

Why the heck did I post all this? Don't know. I'm just really deeply thinking this morning. That's all.

derek
03-16-2002, 08:13 PM
hey tycho,

i started to say what the hell are you thinking, but you're right, we did know pearl harbor was going to happen and did nothing. as a matter of fact, i read a book called "the roosevelt myth", by john t. flynn, in which FDR's secretary of state, henry stimson is quoted as saying roosevelt wanted to manuver the japanese into attacking so we could get in the war.

i guess we like to think the best of out government, that they wouldn't let something like pearl harbor, or nine-eleven happen, but who knows?

2-1B
03-17-2002, 02:18 AM
And the CGI scorpion fight during the opening credits?

I've been trying to figure that out myself :D

I don't know what to think of the fact that 2 men who both had great turns as Wyatt Earp would end up in the same film playing . . . Elvis impersonators ? :sur:

warren
03-19-2002, 03:53 AM
Water world was not bad. But what I really like was Dances with Wolves. That was a real classic.
I have watch it over 10 times and I am not bored of it as yet and I don't think I will be.

Postman was so so. I find it rather boring although the plot is not bad.
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves is a good movie too. Action pack all the way.

Cotasnoova
04-05-2002, 11:26 PM
All I know is that I want some of those cool guill thinks behind my ears. I would be a lobstering fool.

Tycho
02-02-2007, 02:10 AM
There was a lot of appreciation for Waterworld here just a few years ago.

I just watched it again and must concur - again: this is a fun movie!

JediTricks
02-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I need to watch this one again, I've caught a few minutes here and there on TV lately and it keeps reminding me that it's a watchable flick - not the best or anything, but watchable.