PDA

View Full Version : The Only Way the Simpsons could do Hamlet Correctly...

mrhat
03-15-2002, 09:59 PM
As many of you know, this Sunday the simpsons is doing a "Spinoff" with 3 seperate classic tales being told including The Odessy. Joan of Arc, and Hamlet. Now i was thinking about the Hamlet one, i just finished reading that book, and seeing the film with Mel Gibson as Hamlet. For those of you who dont know what Hamlet is about go to Spark Notes (http://www.sparknotes.com) and search for Hamlet, and you will find Cliff notes about each act. But Basically, Homer would have to be the king, Marge would have to be Gertrude, Uncle Herb would have to be the guy who kills hamlets father (Homer as the king), Lisa and Maggie would have to be maidens or something, one of bart's love intrestss would be ophillia, but they have to have a father. Nelson and Jimbo could be the people sent to kill hamlet, but end up being killed, Another enemy of barts would be Hamlets Arch Rival, aka Ophillia's Brother. Now i have no idea how you can squeeze Hamlet into 10 minutes of airtime. Also Milhouse could be Hamlest loyal friend etc etc...

Lord Tenebrous
03-15-2002, 10:58 PM
I'm sure it will just be loosely based on Hamlet, with some quotes that the public would recognize. Or, judging from that other Simpsons episode with Paul Bunyon, John Appleseed, etc, it'll be nothing like the prose it's based on.

mrhat
03-16-2002, 12:04 AM
True, True, but they could really make this play a good episode (a half-hour one though) it could be the simpsons reanissance, they could do Macbeth, and so on and so forth i mean the public has to know something about these plays, even if its hypo-edited down to a slim 10 minutes.