PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil

Starfig873
03-16-2002, 10:25 AM
Well, I think they did a nice job on this movie! It's very freaky, and had several "make ya jump" points. Not all video game movies turn out bad :p Loved the licker...

Has anyone else seen this yet? What did you think?

derek
03-16-2002, 10:40 AM
i have not seen it, but was suprised they had the guts to make an R rated film out of this. i still don't have much hope for it, but at least they didn't dumb it down like "spawn", which should of been a hard R rated film.

from the previews i've seen, it looks like another excuse to use nifty camera work and get matrix-martial arts moves into a film. but i do love mila and that chick from girlfight is pretty hot, so maybe i'll plunk down some cash on this one. :)

JEDIpartner
03-16-2002, 12:46 PM
I this was a thread about my stepmonster. She looks like a genetic hybrid of Danny DeVito and Ernest Borgnine. She's lovely!:eek:

JetsAndHeels
03-16-2002, 01:31 PM
I liked the movie alot!! The special effects were great and it had some good action sequences. I also liked the Licker!!
And not to mention the fact that Mila Jolovich is scantily clad throughout the entire film helps alot too.
Man she is so hot.
Oh, sorry I got off on a tangent there.

2-1B
03-16-2002, 02:03 PM
I remember playing the first years ago, so if my question is outdated please forgive me - didn't the first game take place in an old house? The movie appears to take place in a corporate building . . . did they use that plotline later in the game series? Thanks for clearing this up :)

Beast
03-16-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
I remember playing the first years ago, so if my question is outdated please forgive me - didn't the first game take place in an old house? The movie appears to take place in a corporate building . . . did they use that plotline later in the game series? Thanks for clearing this up :)
The first game took place in a mansion, yes. This is sort of a prequel to the game, but also incorperates some of the later games into the plotline. By the way, saw the movie yesterday, gotta say it's one of the best movies made from a video game ever. As well as being near the top of the list for zombie movies. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jw_bryant
03-16-2002, 05:00 PM
does it involve Code:Veronica at all?

Rollo Tomassi
03-17-2002, 11:00 AM
My verdict is in. It was GOOD. I was really suprised. There was an overabundance of "jump in your seat moments" which I liked. As far as video games go, it was way better than that crapfest Tomb Raider last year. It perfectly sets up a sequel which is already in the works. And Milla Jovovich! Her opening scene is her scantily dressed in a shower curtain and her final shots are her scantily dressed in a...pillowcase? Plus, when she falls off the table...all I can say is she shaves.;) They ripped off the Cube in that laser grid sequence, but it was all good. I give it a hearty three :) :) :)

What's a licker?

JetsAndHeels
03-17-2002, 12:58 PM
Hey Rollo,
Mila was hot, was she not??
And that laser in the cube sequence was pretty sweet.
That dude that got diced at the end was pretty screwed though.
All in all a good movie.

Dar' Argol
03-17-2002, 02:28 PM
My wife and I saw this movie last night and it was great. She loved it. She use to sit and watch me play the games so she knew the story. I loved how with the music and the tention in the shot, it made you jump no matter what. You were sitting there going:

"I know somethings going to happen. I know something is going to happen. I know something is going to happen. I will not jump. I will not jump. I will not . . . . . .WWWAAAAAAAAA*insert jumping motion here*"

I was great to see a lot of the games combined into this movie but yet, there was a sense of "new-ness" in the movie too. And the open ending just about solidifies a sequel. My wife and I agree that we will get the DVD when it comes out and we will see RE2 when that comes out too!! Also, there was never any real show of graphic violence in the movie. You never really saw any real huge amounts of blood. Which was great!!! You don't need a ton of blood and gore to make a good horror/thriller/edge-of-your-seat movie.

Review: Out of 10 possible stars I give it: **********(that's ten)

Dar' Argol
03-17-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi

What's a licker?

IN the video game, In Resident Evil 2, there where these creatures that hung out on the ceiling, waiting to pounce on you. They had these long tounges and huge claws. These were the "lickers". In the movie, the creature that kills "Spenc" and then mutates was a licker. It was also seen in earlyer parts of the movie. That was the "licker" Rollo:)

Rollo Tomassi
03-17-2002, 02:34 PM
Okay. I thought it might be some cutesy name for Milla's "bathing suit area." I like the licker, too.;) :rolleyes:

Rollo Tomassi
03-17-2002, 02:47 PM
Completely unrelated, but still funny. A woman came out of Return to Neverland and asked if we could refund one of her tickets because her husband had got beeped to come into work. She explained he was a resident at the hospital and one of my co-workers, without missing a beat asked in his best Dr. Evil impersonation. "Is he an EVIL resident?? (pinky on lip)"

2-1B
03-17-2002, 03:11 PM
Okay. I thought it might be some cutesy name for Milla's "bathing suit area."

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Rollo, did that lady get her refund? It kinda bothered me when a friend's girlfriend would go to the movies with us while "on call" :)

derek
03-17-2002, 07:13 PM
i just got back from watching this film, and it was better than i expected, which was not much, but not really nothing special. definately the best video game to film translation yet, and that ain't saying much. i hate to say this, but this film really need some more gore to it, and while they were at it, some gratutious nudity wouldn't of hurt my feelings. i would of loved it if when the zombies first appeared, the baseline to thriller had kicked in.:)

maybe i'll watch this again a little later when the crowds thin out. at times during the film i counted at least 6 people talking at once, a really fat lady snoring next to me, and a baby that would not stop crying.

there will definately be a sequal to this film. i wonder what joel schumacker is up to?

Wolfwood319
03-17-2002, 08:53 PM
I loved this movie! I am a huge fan of the games, and was hoping the movie did a good job of connecting to the games, and it really fit well.

I went with some people who never played the games, and they didn't like the movie as much. So I think that you have to be a fan of the games to enjoy the movie. They said that some stuff wasn't explained very well, but I thought it was done good. Maybe I took the backstory for granted because I already knew the story from the game.

One question, there is that scene where Mila fought the dogs and that cop guy found his sister, while the spec ops guys were trapped in the computer room. They couldn't get out, because of the zombies, yet Mila and the cop guy could get in. How could they get in if the area was surrounded by zombies?

derek
03-17-2002, 10:04 PM
wolfwood319,

i don't have an answer for you about that question, but that electromagnetic pulse that they used to shut down the building computer should of been un-useable. shouldn't it of been in cubes?

Dar' Argol
03-17-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I loved this movie!

OMG!!!! I think this is the first word of praise that I have seen Wolfwood319 say on anything. Mark it on your calander!!!!!! LOL:D. JK Wolfwood319

One question, there is that scene where Mila fought the dogs and that cop guy found his sister, while the spec ops guys were trapped in the computer room. They couldn't get out, because of the zombies, yet Mila and the cop guy could get in. How could they get in if the area was surrounded by zombies?

And the answer is . . . . there is 2 entrances to the Red Queen's control room. Right b/4 they entered(Milia and the cop) you see a computer layout of the hive. You can see Milia and the cop running to the room. There are 2 hallways leading to this room. Plus Millia said "What about this door?" and the one S.T.A.R.S. member said, "IT'S BLOCKED!!" or something to that effect. But there are 2 ways out of the begining room.

Dar' Argol
03-17-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by derek
wolfwood319,

i don't have an answer for you about that question, but that electromagnetic pulse that they used to shut down the building computer should of been un-useable. shouldn't it of been in cubes?

No, the laser line did not turn into netting until it was right in front of the guy. He had backed up, past the rest of the dead members, b/4 he got "cubed". So it never got touched. Someone at the theater asked the same question and they thought it was b/c the laser only affected organic material. I asked then "Why did the knife get cut in two???"

Starfig873
03-18-2002, 02:09 AM
Well glad to hear I'm not the only one who enjoyed this movie. :)
I certainly can't wait to see a sequel. I must admit I reeeally wanted to see a movie version Tyrant though...no luck :p

Rollo Tomassi
03-18-2002, 09:32 AM
I thought it was dirty pool how the laser changed heights halfway. The poor guy was getting ready to jump oven an ankle high beam and it catches him right in the chest. I'd a been ticked!.:rolleyes:

SithDroid
03-19-2002, 05:42 PM
I saw this movie last night and I thought it was awesome. The story was great, the special effects, Mila Jovovich. This movie definatley delivers unlike Tomb Raider, Street Fighter, Super Mario Brothers, etc... I certainly hope there will be a sequel to this movie. I only hope it makes enough money to garner a sequel.

Wolfwood319
03-19-2002, 05:49 PM
Praise is not something I like to give out D'ar Argol. :D Keeps everyone striving to set the bar higher. ;)

Actually, now that I saw a picture of the hive diagram, it makes sense. How those 2 got away, and then came back, assuming that there were only zombies in that one part.

Yeah, it was cheap that the laser changed heights, and then when it turns into the net, cheap cheap cheap... That poor guy almost made it.;)

mylow thehutt
03-19-2002, 05:56 PM
:) I saw it too,the ending was so cool! also do you think that the guy that got sliced by the licker then started to mutate,do you think he will come back in as the human licker in the game,the one grey guy that has an eye on his arm. Maby for the second moive.

mylow thehutt
03-19-2002, 06:01 PM
I thought it was dirty pool how the laser changed heights halfway. The poor guy was getting ready to jump oven an ankle high beam and it catches him right in the chest. I'd a been ticked!.:rolleyes:

You would be dead. but i know where your comming from that would suck,also what happen to the guy that lost his figures.he's there one minute the next guy gets killed and he's gone!

Beast
03-19-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
I saw this movie last night and I thought it was awesome. The story was great, the special effects, Mila Jovovich. This movie definatley delivers unlike Tomb Raider, Street Fighter, Super Mario Brothers, etc... I certainly hope there will be a sequel to this movie. I only hope it makes enough money to garner a sequel.
The sequel is for sure, from everything that I heard. The director and Milla, as well as a few others in the cast have in their contracts they will return for "Resident Evil II: Nemesis". That's why they ended it the way they did...to set up the upcoming sequel. Hopefully we will see another Umbrella Corp. base in the next movie that has a "Red Queen" computer system. She was cool, and I wished she would have gotten a bigger part in the first movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
03-19-2002, 06:17 PM
Actually, the giant greay guy your speaking of, Mylow, with an eye on his arm, is William Berkin. He is the scientist who created the G-Virus, and its explained in RE2. Also, the end of the movie takes place some time after the events in the movie. The town the way you see it in the end of the movie is what happens to the town in RE2 and RE3, and that happens some months after the first RE. So if the movie happens even before the first game, Milla was in that lab for some time.

They mentioned they wanted him for the "Nemesis Project" which I think is referring to Tyrants. Tyrants are those giant grey guys who look like humans for the most part. They've appeared in every game so far, but the only "Nemesis" was in RE3, and he was actually the first Tyrant from the first game, pieced back together to hunt down S.T.A.R.S members.

I hope the sequel has maybe a few characters from the game, and I hope the games continue on the story in the movie, too. This is the first video game movie that really fits into the games. It would be cool to have some S.T.A.R.S. members in the next movie. The next movie could be Milla escaping the town, and meeting up with some other survivors, that would really be cool. I'm looking forward to the next movie, and the new games!

mylow thehutt
03-19-2002, 07:25 PM
:) Thanx for the info.and i hope the guy that got sucked out of the train by the licker at the end,is in the second one i know. But looks can be deseving.:) also the one guy that got turned into minced meat by the lasers does he also play jango fett in ep2?

SithDroid
03-19-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by mylow thehutt
:) Thanx for the info.and i hope the guy that got sucked out of the train by the licker at the end,is in the second one i know. But looks can be deseving.:) also the one guy that got turned into minced meat by the lasers does he also play jango fett in ep2?

No that's not the guy who plays Jango Fett in EP II.

O.K. So there is RE, RE2, RE:Nemesis, RE: Code Veronica, and an upcoming RE4. If I count correctly that is 5 games, so what order do the games take place in? I have only played a little of RE: Code Veronica. Also there is a RE: Biohazard, which I think is a foreign version of one of the RE games (the title is the only thing different). Plus, is anyone excited about seeing them redone for the Gamecube? I might just have to go out and get me a Gamecube now. Well for that and James Bond plus the upcoming Spiderman game.

Wolfwood319
03-19-2002, 11:14 PM
Oh yeah, RE for the 'cube is gonna rock up! Its supposedly completely redone, the graphics of course, but completely new areas, monsters, and playable characters.

I'll give a complete run down of all 4 games and when they take place.

Resident Evil

The first game. Takes place in a mansion located near the out skirts of Raccoon city. STARS Bravo team is sent to the area to investigate a series of mysterious murders caused by dogs (cerebus.) When the team doesn't come back, STARS Alpha team is sent in. They get attacked by cerebuses, and the surviving members escape to the nearby mansion for saftey.

You played as either Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine. With supporting characters of Barry Burton, Rebecca Chambers, and Albert Wesker.

As you explored the mansion, you learned of the laboratory (Hive), the experiments, and some underlying conspiracy involving the town and Umbrella. Turns out that Albert Wesker worked for the company and tried to kill off the remaining STARS members to protect the project. He set loose the prototype Tyrant monster, and he was the last boss of the game.

Wesker is presumeably dead, and the 4 remaining members escape back to town, after destroying the lab.

Now, after the movie, presumeably, the team only destroyed a small portion of the lab near the mansion.

Rollo Tomassi
03-19-2002, 11:18 PM
Gamecube has been tempting me for awhile now. If the slow contantly changing graphics are fixed, I'd pick this up for Gamecube (along with Rogue Squadron 2!). I hated on the PS version every time you walked two feet, it'd change perspective on you. it sucked for game play. the story was pretty cool though.

Wolfwood319
03-19-2002, 11:22 PM
Resident Evil 2

RE2 takes place some months after the first RE. Chris, Jill, and the rest went back to town, and tried to warn everyone of Umbrella's experiments, zombies, etc. But there warnings fall on deaf ears. Chris leaves to go to Umbrella's head office in Europe, and shortly after, an out break of the T-Virus devestates the city. There are very few survivors, and the city looks exactly like how it did at the end of the movie.

Now, in RE2 you play as Leon Kennedy or Claire Redfield (Chris's brother.) Leon Kennedy was a new member of STARS who arrived in town after the catastrophe. He meets up with Claire, and they decide to look for Chris, survivors, and get out of town.

You search around town, RCPD building, the sewers, and finally, more of the lab. You learn of William Berkin, a scientist working for Umbrella. He created the G-Virus, and upgraded version of the T-Virus. Umbrella sent in a special forces team (like the movie's team) to steal the virus from him. He insteads injects it into himself on accident, and becomes the games main monster. He's the big guy with the eye in his shoulder.

You learn of the corruption of the police chief, who was on Umbrella's payroll to keep a low profile on the mansion incident, as well as Umbrealla's current activities.

Leon, Claire, and William's daughter Sherry are the only survivors of the game, and escape the lab, presumeably blowing up another portion of it. Claire decides to head for Europe to look for Chris and Leon and Sherry leave.

Wolfwood319
03-19-2002, 11:27 PM
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

The first half of this game takes place just before events in RE2, the second half right after RE2.

This game your basically Jill Valentine, from RE, escaping the city to head after Chris. The city is already been devastated from the outbreak, as in RE2, and you basically run around town trying to escape.

You meet up with another one of those Umbrella special forces teams, and you work together to escape.

Nothing real big in this game, except better controls. And the boss, Nemesis, is really the Tyrant from the first game hunting STARS members. This game also had a dynamic boss system. Everytime you ran into Nemesis, he would follow you where ever you went until you got far enough away, or knocked him out.

Wolfwood319
03-19-2002, 11:33 PM
Resident Evil: Code Veronica

This game takes place some time after RE2. Claire Redfield went to Europe to find Chris. She sneaks into Umbrella's HQ, but gets caught. She's sent to this island that Umbrella owns and has a sort of prison set up.

The game is basically escaping the island. The island is controlled by a nutcase who's grandfather helped found Umbrella. There working on yet another new Virus, and of course, the island gets infested with zombies.

Halfway during the game your sent to an Anarctic bas that Umbrella has and you have to fight your way of there as well. You play part of the game as Chris Redfield looking for Claire after she escapes the first Island.

That's pretty much it. At the end of every game, there seems to be more and more characters wanting to go to Europe and get Umbrella. My thought is that Capcom is building up towards the last game in which you play as many characters in Umbrella's HQ.

This year were supposed to get a revamped RE for the cube, as well as Resident Evil 0, which is about the Bravo teams exploits in the original mansion. Both of which are on the Gamecube.

The games were originally released with the title "Biohazard" in Japan. But the name was changed to "Resident Evil" in the US and Europe.

Dar' Argol
03-19-2002, 11:45 PM
I just read an artical in PSM(Playstation Monthly) that talked about RE going to GC and about RE O. They also said that there is another version of RE coming to the PS2. I forget what the release date is but it's going to be RE: Online!!! Imagine fighting zombies with all your buddies all over the world. I just don't know if there is enough characters though. I don't know all the details, PSM said they would report more when there was more to report.:D

Online zombie slaying!!! WoooHooo!!!

SithDroid
03-20-2002, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the info Wolfwood319.

Dar' Argol - I thought that I read somewhere on ign's wesite that the RE games rights have been made exclusively to Nintendo. If there is a new RE coming to the PS2 then it will probably be the last one that will see a release other than Gamebube, which is o.k. by me because I never have liked either of the Playstations.

Wolfwood319
03-20-2002, 02:02 AM
Nintendo has a contract with Capcom, stating that all NEW RE games will be exclusive to the cube for 5 years. This is the first I heard of an online RE, so I'm not sure.

I still think that Capcom can rerelease games on different platforms, like they did with RE games on the N64 and PS2.

Dar' Argol
07-31-2002, 09:14 PM
Well, here it is a day after DVD release and I thought I'd bring this up:D So, how many got it and did you like it???

I saw the film in the theater and I loved it. I got it on DVD, (yeah JarJar, i know there will be a special edition coming out later, but I can't wait:D), and it is still great!!! The extra featuretts(sp) were pretty cool! Like "the making of". I like seeing Michelle Rodriguez talking about how much she got into this character and Milla Jovovich saying how nice it is when you can see the persons body/skin when they fight:D. Over all, I am pretty happy. The only think I missed was a Deleted scene/Blooper reel. Could you imagine the funny out-takes from this movie???:D

I still give it 10 stars **********(that's still ten:D)

Beast
07-31-2002, 09:48 PM
I of course picked it up, since I loved it in theaters so much. I was going to hold out for the 2-disc SE, but I figured the extras would likely be different between the 2 versions anyway. I know the 2-Disc SE will have the NC-17/Unrated cut of the film, as well as deleted scenes and the alternate ending. A small teaser, the alternate ending has Milla using the rifle from the front of the DVD case. It shoots missles. :D

As I posted earlier, the Audio Commentary is hilarious. Milla doesn't realize they actually have to watch the whole film. :D Not to mention they make fun of her fashion ads and other stuff. Her dog even makes a mess on the floor halfway thru the audio commentary. A hilarious listen. :D

Definatly the best movie ever based on a video game, and a real quality Zombie movie as well. Best one since Return of the Living Dead, IMHO. Some genuine scares, and decent actors. Hopefully we get some word on the sequel soon. Hopefully the Red Queen shows up in the sequel, that computer is just creepy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-31-2002, 10:46 PM
i didnt like the movie of resident evil, ruined the gaming expeirence i think they should used Leon

Eternal Padawan
08-01-2002, 07:55 AM
I picked up the DVD, but I haven't watched it yet...

2-Disc? ARRRRGHHH! I HATE it when I do that! :mad: :mad: :mad: or rather when they do it to me...Can't they just make the 2-Disc to begin with? Jerks. :mad:

ROLLO!

Beast
08-01-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I picked up the DVD, but I haven't watched it yet...
2-Disc? ARRRRGHHH! I HATE it when I do that! :mad: :mad: :mad: or rather when they do it to me...Can't they just make the 2-Disc to begin with? Jerks. :mad:
ROLLO!
I was reading an interview with the director on DVDfile.com last night. He was pressing to get all the features on the first version, but they only had 4 weeks after the movie opened to get the features for the DVD locked in. He found so much stuff and they were running out of room, so decided to release it now as is, and then include all the extras on a later 2-disc set, when they had more time to get it all ready. Atleast he pushed for the studio to make it knows they were double dipping. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
08-04-2002, 09:38 AM
I just watched the commentary last night. Some of it was so jumbled when all four of them were talking about four different things and talking over each other to be heard, it was kind of lame. But then again some of it was hilarious. Poor Eric Mabius getting made fun of for his Yogurt addiction. :D

I like it when the guys are trying to explain some technical movie jargon thingy and Milla goes "Uh guys nobody cares about that because you just saw my nipple." THAT was funny.

ROLLO!

Dar' Argol
08-04-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by -JediMaster-Yoda-
i didnt like the movie of resident evil, ruined the gaming expeirence i think they should used Leon

Why Leon?? If you want to be true to the "gaming" experiance they should have used Jill or Chris!! And they should have used only those 2 characters in the games. Who needs Leon and what's her name??

I like what they did, if gave it a fresh feel. While those who have played the games knows what happens, with the development of new characters and locations, we "knew" but didn't know. And all the suspense elements were there as well, even down to the crows:D.

I like it when the guys are trying to explain some technical movie jargon thingy and Milla goes "Uh guys nobody cares about that because you just saw my nipple." THAT was funny.

He he he:D. That is great. I haven't had a chance to watch the commentary yet, (my wife hates them so I have to watch it when she is not home), but JarJar was telling me that there is a lot of funny parts in there. I can't wait to hear it:D.

DarthBrandon
08-04-2002, 08:49 PM
This movie in my opinion wasn't bad and it wasn't good. Lets just say I didn't care for it too much. The up side for me was all the cool scenes with the computer control room and the base itself, along with a couple of the zombies.:) The down side for me was that the acting wasn't that good and the end kind of dragged a bit.:(

AT-AT Man
08-04-2002, 09:01 PM
All i have to say is this was one great movie, Jar Jar thanks for tellin us about that 2 disk set, i was gunna buy the movie this weekend, cause i love it, it was great, i only played the games like once, but i still loved the movie, and does anyone know exactly when the 2 disker is gunna be released.

Beast
08-05-2002, 02:13 AM
Jill, Chris, or Leon don't appear in this movie because it's a prequel to the events of the first game. The audio commentary states that some of the game charecters may pop up in the sequel though. Frankly it's a silly argument, if they would have copied the games exactly and not tried to go an original route, people would be complaining cause it's to predictable. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lman316
08-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Jill, Chris, or Leon don't appear in this movie because it's a prequel to the events of the first game. The audio commentary states that some of the game charecters may pop up in the sequel though. Frankly it's a silly argument, if they would have copied the games exactly and not tried to go an original route, people would be complaining cause it's to predictable. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Doubtful. I'll tell you, that's exactly the reason why I didn't and don't like the movie version of Resident Evil.
I honestly cannot believe I sat through this movie while they continually lied to my face. This was not Resident Evil. However, I will say that if this movie had been called anything else, and they weren't lying, saying that it was RE, it would have been good. It was a good "thriller" movie. But, again, it wasn't Resident Evil. They said it was, and that's why I have a problem.
I know that you cannot take something like a video game or a book and copy it word for word, action for action on the big screen. I understand some things have to be cut, have to be changed, have to be replaced in order for it to work as a movie. But they didn't just change and replace and cut out, they completely ruined the feel of this series. Resident Evil is not a "thriller". It's a GD scary game. The first time I played it, I was scared out of my mind, and I'm not afraid to admit that. Everything in the game was causing my reaction. The story itself, the music, the anxiety of opening a door. All these elements added up to make one hell of a scary game and story. Then these Hollywood big shots come in and decide they need to change the things......make it "theirs". Bull. They took something actually frightening and turned it into something startling. You sit there, something jumps out, you go "Ah! Oh..." and that's it. You're not on the edge of your seat, chewing your fingernails, heart pounding, ready to yell or scream, "Don't go in there!" But yet you have no idea that anything's really in there. You're just so worked up, so scared that anything could be a danger. That was the fun of the game. And they completely removed that from the movie. It wasn't fun. Again, it wasn't Resident Evil.
I wanted to see the video game given justice with this film. I wanted to see a wonderful interpretation, see who they could have got to play certain parts, and how they could have made the mansion (which is where most of this should have taken place) be as scary as possible. But no. We get an entirely different story, with some stupid super computer and misplaced elements, such as the Licker, the train (both RE2) and others. I wanted to see Tyrant. I wanted to see how they could have pulled that off. But no, again. We get something that's kinda like the Licker - not even really a Licker. The thing never mutated in the game, and it shouldn't have in the movie. It was not a major threat in the game - only really a step up from a Zombie. Now, Tyrant was a mean SOB, and would have made for a much better villian.
But I digress. There were just too many things wrong with this movie (where were the puzzles?!). This type of thing helps me to better see why people have a problem with the Star Wars prequels. This held no continuity with the game series, except for the end, and even that was distorted. If I ever become needlessly wealthy, I'll remake this movie and then we'll see who likes which one better :rolleyes:.

Oh, and for that argument of: "Don't like it, don't watch it..." Don't worry. I won't. :P

End. Definitely End...

Dar' Argol
08-09-2002, 07:50 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:confused:

Originally posted by Lman316
I honestly cannot believe I sat through this movie while they continually lied to my face. This was not Resident Evil. However, I will say that if this movie had been called anything else, and they weren't lying, saying that it was RE, it would have been good. It was a good "thriller" movie. But, again, it wasn't Resident Evil. They said it was, and that's why I have a problem.
What part wasn't RE?? Was Umbrella not RE?? Or was it the Zombies??? Or was it the T-Virus??? I think a few brain cells just exploded trying to comprehend this.

I know that you cannot take something like a video game or a book and copy it word for word, action for action on the big screen. I understand some things have to be cut, have to be changed, have to be replaced in order for it to work as a movie. But they didn't just change and replace and cut out, they completely ruined the feel of this series. Resident Evil is not a "thriller". It's a GD scary game. The first time I played it, I was scared out of my mind, and I'm not afraid to admit that. Everything in the game was causing my reaction. The story itself, the music, the anxiety of opening a door. All these elements added up to make one hell of a scary game and story. Then these Hollywood big shots come in and decide they need to change the things......make it "theirs". Bull. They took something actually frightening and turned it into something startling. You sit there, something jumps out, you go "Ah! Oh..." and that's it. You're not on the edge of your seat, chewing your fingernails, heart pounding, ready to yell or scream, "Don't go in there!" But yet you have no idea that anything's really in there. You're just so worked up, so scared that anything could be a danger. That was the fun of the game. And they completely removed that from the movie. It wasn't fun. Again, it wasn't Resident Evil.

I think you might be a bit too involved in this game. Yeah, the game had some scary parts. The crows, the dogs, those darn spiders, and the lurking Zombies that were laying under the water, but that did not scare the begeeses out of me. It made me jump and I moved on. I was not "biting my fingernails" all through the game. I mean, its a GAME man:rolleyes:. Besides, when you already know the premise of the Game/Movie you are not as frightened the second time around. RE2 was not scary at all to me, since I got through RE1. The more you are exposed to a genre, the less you react to it.

I wanted to see the video game given justice with this film. I wanted to see a wonderful interpretation, see who they could have got to play certain parts, and how they could have made the mansion (which is where most of this should have taken place) be as scary as possible. But no. We get an entirely different story, with some stupid super computer and misplaced elements, such as the Licker, the train (both RE2) and others. I wanted to see Tyrant. I wanted to see how they could have pulled that off. But no, again. We get something that's kinda like the Licker - not even really a Licker. The thing never mutated in the game, and it shouldn't have in the movie. It was not a major threat in the game - only really a step up from a Zombie. Now, Tyrant was a mean SOB, and would have made for a much better villian.
So the computer did not go a little nuts and create/release the ending boss in the first game?? Or did I imagine that part?? And why the Tyrant. Most of the time through the game, he walked, you shot him, he fell, and you moved on. Then he got back up and you repeated the process. How is that more scary??? How was that harder??? To me the Tyrant in RE2 was very lame. I thought Nemisis was a much better adversary!

But I digress. There were just too many things wrong with this movie (where were the puzzles?!). This type of thing helps me to better see why people have a problem with the Star Wars prequels. This held no continuity with the game series, except for the end, and even that was distorted. If I ever become needlessly wealthy, I'll remake this movie and then we'll see who likes which one better :rolleyes:.

So you want to see the main character run back and forth between 4 rooms 12 times to open 1 door?? Or you want to see them pick something up that has no relavance to anything until the end?? I felt there were some puzzles in the movie, you just did not get to interact with them. There was the dormant traps that Kaplin had to disable, there was the issue of how to get out that Alice figured out(re-activate the Queen), there was dealing with mutated licker. There were puzzles, just not as obvious as the game.

And ruining the continuity??? I thought the 3rd game pretty well did that! I think that new blood needed to be added to RE. Otherwise it would have been a copy of the game, and everyone who played it would have already know what was going to happen, therefor why pay the money to see it?? Why even make it if its a copy of the game, which it seems is what you wanted. Besides, if the creators of the game are happy with the results, then it had to be good to them. Otherwise it would not have been made.

I really think you need to step out from the game world, and think outside the console. Sheesh! What your "perfect" vision of the movie might be, might not be the best. Nor mine. But I for one am very happy with this new chapter to the RE saga and I look forward to the next one. I am ready to turn the page:happy:

Beast
08-09-2002, 08:03 PM
How can you say somthing isn't "Resident Evil". The people that make the games, even had influence on the script. What if the next game, they decide to make it set during the time of the movie. Are you going to argue with the makers of the game, that you know better?

You realize how difficult it is to adapt a video game into a decent movie. This was one of the first video game movies that didn't suck. The movie works because they went outside the video game box, and made a compeling intresting story, that explains why all what happened in the games occured.

No Hollywood big shots changed the game, it was a small time director that worked closely with the original game designers. This is a prequel to the first game, it was explaining what happened in it.

Everything was a danger in the movie, did you watch the same flick I did. The dobermans, the buttload of Zombies, the computer trying to stop them from shutting her down and releasing the zombies. The sudden jumps when things suddenly pop out and attack people. Seems like the game to me.

Who cares if the Licker and the Train were from RE2, it was cool to see them in the movie. And don't the Lickers in the game look different from one game to the next because they were redesigned? That was why they had it mutate, because they liked both versions?

The Tyrent or somthing similar will probably show up in the sequel to the movie. Since the second movie deals with what the aftermath of what happened in Racoon City. We know that Nemesis creatures will show up in 2. :)

Who wants to see people solving puzzles in a movie, they want to see a kick-arse Zombie flick, with alot of blood and gore and cool zombies. The movie succeeds on that level, because it doesn't stick close to the game.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lman316
08-09-2002, 10:39 PM
No. I'm not even going to read all of that, because you're missing the point right off.
The game is scary, yes (and don't even get started saying I'm obcessed with it, because that's what you're saying - I'm not, so...). What I'm trying to say is that this game premise could and should have had been scarier on the big screen. It had massive....massive potential, and should have been one of the best horror movies ever made. I'm sorry, but they screwed it up.
Okay. When I say it's not Resident Evil, I'm saying that because of the story line. They threw out a few bones here and there (Umbrella, T-Virus, whatnot), but IMO, it wasn't enough. It was crap, I'm sorry.
Now, I will grant that I didn't finish the first game (I'm close, but not finished because I just haven't had the time - I had only started playing the game [Director's Cut] about the time that RE2 came out, all those years ago. When I found out that RE2 had been released, I stopped playing RE1 and skipped ahead. I haven't had the time to go back, but I want to. So, it's possible that I might have missed anything about a super computer here - but last I knew, it had everything to do with Wesker; a coverup). I have finished 2, but I've always known the story behind this series. But I did face off against Tyrant in Survivor, and he wasn't that easy to kill. And actually, there was no Tyrant in RE2 - it was William Birkin.
I'm not saying that it should have been exactly the same - if you read, I did mention that. But it could have stuck closer with the actual RE storyline here.
No, you're right, an exacty copy would have been a little tedius, but I'm sure that not everyone who saw the movie has played the game. There was a decent cover-up motif to the game, and it took some detective work to figure that much out. But, no, right off the start, the narrator informs the audience of Umbrella's involvment in military weapons. Am I wrong? What's the fun of that? Yes, I know, I know, I knew about what Umbrella was doing because I've played the game. But I think it would have been more interesting to see how everyone else would figure that out, both those real people who haven't played the game, and those characters in the story itself.
I am just tired of people taking things and runing them, IMO. I have seen so many decent books being taken and turned into utter garbage. I loved Stephen King's: The Shining. But the movie was crap. The director screwed it up, because that was his vision, not Kings (yes, I have seen the ABC mini-series, and that was MUCH better). I was also disappointed with The Lost World. Chricton did one hell of a job with that sequel and Spielberg messed that one up big time. I was just hoping to see a decent interpretation of the RE story on the big screen. Not just a bunch of running around, shooting zombies and unnecessary nudity shots. The whole point to RE's sucess was that it wasn't just a shoot 'em up, bloody, gory, run around game. It was intelligent. You actually had to think - I know it's not brain surgery, but a few of them were a bit tough. To play the puzzles to advance. That's what I loved about it. And all this movie was, was just a bunch of "scared" people running around, shooting. I understand their need and want to escape, but it just didn't sit right with me. I can't explain it. And where was the music? All I heard was cheap hard rock. That doesn't add anything to atmosphere. Music does everything for a horror movie. And this just didn't have it. That was another major disappointment.
It was an okay movie, by regular movie standards. Like I said, if they didn't call it Resident Evil, I would have slightly enjoyed it. But this one just isn't for me, and I'm really sad to say that. The RE series was great, and I've been a fan of it for many years. I just hope the games can stay decent...

If you want to argue about this some more, let's get together and watch this, and I'll better explain my opinions frame by frame :p.

End...

Lman316
08-10-2002, 12:47 AM
I had a few more thoughts on this matter, and I'm only typing them in a new reply because I already typed a mouthful back there.
First, I want to address Dar' Argol's quip about the frightening nature of the game. I just want to tell you that I wasn't biting my fingernail through the game, either. What I meant, and what I thought I got across was that that's how the movie should have been. It should have been as scary as the game was, and more. It's pathetic when cartoons are scarier than something done with live actors.
Second, not once did I say that anyone was wrong to like this movie....not once. However, I'm told that I'm wrong to dislike it. Again, now I really do see more eye to eye with those who dislike the Star Wars prequels. I never did tell them that they're wrong, because they're not. That's their opinion and I respect that, always have. I just have differing views and I like to debate/argue with Stillakid ;). But where does anyone get off telling me that I'm wrong? Because that's basically what your arguments were doing. I'm not wrong. That's my opinion. But, again, I specificy: I never said that anyone was wrong to like this movie. So, why is everyone telling me that I'm wrong to dislike it?
It could have been better, and it should have been better. I will probably see any sequels that come out, and I hope that they can do a better job with it. But I'll tell you that I won't waste $7.50 on a ticket for it (and I'm glad I didn't for this first one - and I was kinda upset that I missed it in the theaters...wow, was I relieved I only had to pay about $2.50 for it on video :p) and it will never live up to the potential that it had...

My two cents. You don't have to like 'em...

End.

Dar' Argol
08-10-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Lman316
No. I'm not even going to read all of that, because you're missing the point right off.

That right there is a slap in the face! Saying that my post is not worth your time because I don't get the point right off the bat?? I really should not be responding to this.

The game is scary, yes (and don't even get started saying I'm obcessed with it, because that's what you're saying - I'm not, so...).

You say this part, but above in your eariler post you state:

It's a GD scary game. The first time I played it, I was scared out of my mind, and I'm not afraid to admit that. Everything in the game was causing my reaction. The story itself, the music, the anxiety of opening a door. All these elements added up to make one hell of a scary game and story.
Now this sounds a little obsessed IMO. Yeah, I love this game, don't get me wrong. And I jumped at certain points in the game as much as anyone else. But I was not scared out of my mind. The first time I played through RE1 I started at 9:30PM in my basement with all the lights off, just to get the full effect, and wasn't all that scared.

What I'm trying to say is that this game premise could and should have had been scarier on the big screen. It had massive....massive potential, and should have been one of the best horror movies ever made.

But that is the thing. I never concidered RE a Horror Game. Not even once. Because there was no extensive gore. Horror I think of "Hellraiser", "Final Destination", "The Wish Master", and all the Hack and slash movies of Freddy and Jason. Those are "horror". I concider RE to be a Thriller movie, much like the old "Night of the Living Dead", for which this game was modeled after. Thrillers are much more suspensful then they are gory. And horrors are the opposite. And RE is chocked full of suspense. The only reason they deemed this game a "Survival Horror" is because "Survival Thriller" does not sell games. Its all a marketing ploy to make something sound better then it is. Much the same way scalpers use the words "rare" and "hard to find" to get you more interested.

Okay. When I say it's not Resident Evil, I'm saying that because of the story line. They threw out a few bones here and there (Umbrella, T-Virus, whatnot), but IMO, it wasn't enough. It was crap, I'm sorry.

And what are you going to do when they introduce RE online and change the characters and story line again?? The story needs to be kept fresh, otherwise is gets repetitive and ppl lose interest. Ever play the game Extintion? Good game in its own right, but what makes it repetitive is the fact its a RE clone. Just a different setting. I was playing it and saying to myself, "Man this is too familiar". I never finished the 5 days on that one, took it back after 2 days. Because it wasn't fresh.

Now, I will grant that I didn't finish the first game (I'm close, but not finished because I just haven't had the time - I had only started playing the game [Director's Cut] about the time that RE2 came out, all those years ago. When I found out that RE2 had been released, I stopped playing RE1 and skipped ahead. I haven't had the time to go back, but I want to. So, it's possible that I might have missed anything about a super computer here - but last I knew, it had everything to do with Wesker; a coverup). I have finished 2, but I've always known the story behind this series.

Well then here is half the problem. Finish the first game. As JarJarBinks stated this movie is a sorta prequel to the FIRST game. Not the second, not the thrid, the first. The forst, where dogs attack you, and ppl have been killed because a virus leaked out, and where you are going underground into labs and whatnot trying to uncover what happened down there and then trying to escape. What this movie has done is pulled some of the best stuff from RE1, RE2, and a bit from RE3 and poured it all into a bowl, mixed it up, and came out with a whole new chapter. I really suggest finishing the first game.

I'm not saying that it should have been exactly the same - if you read, I did mention that. But it could have stuck closer with the actual RE storyline here.

But that is what you are saying here.

There was a decent cover-up motif to the game, and it took some detective work to figure that much out. But, no, right off the start, the narrator informs the audience of Umbrella's involvment in military weapons. Am I wrong? What's the fun of that? Yes, I know, I know, I knew about what Umbrella was doing because I've played the game. But I think it would have been more interesting to see how everyone else would figure that out, both those real people who haven't played the game, and those characters in the story itself.

It needed to be explained to the audience so they would understand some things right away, for "those who haven't played the game". Otherwise they would have been lost through most of the movie. The characters on the otherhand, most of them did not know fully what was going on down there. Some had a bit of info, but not the whole story.

The whole point to RE's sucess was that it wasn't just a shoot 'em up, bloody, gory, run around game. It was intelligent. You actually had to think - I know it's not brain surgery, but a few of them were a bit tough. To play the puzzles to advance. That's what I loved about it.

You are going at this like the movie should have interacted with you at some point. As I stated before, there were puzzles, its just you(as a view) were not involved with them. And RE's sucess was not from "Puzzles". Its been done before, there called RPG's. It was the 3rd person shooter, that combined non human character to be destroyed in a number of ways(which sits a lot better then destroying Human character), while ebbing up the suspense factor at key moments in the game to provide a sufficant jolt to the players system(i.e. adreniline(sp) as to "involve" the player more. That was the key to its sucess.

Second, not once did I say that anyone was wrong to like this movie....not once. However, I'm told that I'm wrong to dislike it. Again, now I really do see more eye to eye with those who dislike the Star Wars prequels. I never did tell them that they're wrong, because they're not. That's their opinion and I respect that, always have. I just have differing views and I like to debate/argue with Stillakid . But where does anyone get off telling me that I'm wrong? Because that's basically what your arguments were doing. I'm not wrong. That's my opinion. But, again, I specificy: I never said that anyone was wrong to like this movie. So, why is everyone telling me that I'm wrong to dislike it?

Never once did I say that you were wrong for not liking this movie. Not once did I insinuate that you were wrong for not liking this movie. What I feel is wrong is your reasons, IMO;). Your reasoning is that it should be "not-quite-exactly-but-pretty-darn-close-exactly to the game. I was wary about X-Men when I first saw the trailer. Because "it was not like the comic book". But you know what, it had the characters, it had the story(however slightly it was changed), and it had the feel of X-Men. And that is the same I feel here. Its got the same over all feel. IMO, I think your feel might come from only knowing half the story. You said yourself that you have not finished RE1, that you know RE2 and RE3 I believe? I would seriously suggest you finish 1. And then if you feel that the movie is still doing a grave injustice, and is still "lying to your face" about it being resident Evil. Then I will leave you at that. Its you opinion, but make it a fully informed one please. If you understand all the games, in all of their complexity, and then view the movie again, with non-biased eyes, and still come to the same conclution, I will shake your hand, respect your informed opinion, and peacefully leave it at that.:D

Eternal Padawan
08-10-2002, 11:57 AM
Uhhhhh...."...it would've been a better film if it wasn't called RE." I don't get that. Either a movie is good or it isn't. I don't see the relevance of what it's called. So if it had a different name, it would improve the dialogue? The production design? the pacing? the plot? i went in thinking "ugh...Video Game movie", but came out going 'Damn. pretty cool." And I'm not even a devoted fan of the game. My roomate had it for PS2 but I got annoyed with the constantly shifting viewpoint feature and set it down after five minutes. but if that's how you feel, go ahead and pretend the title is something other than RE and then give us your opinion of the film.

How about ''Doug's tower of cheese: the Movie"

Or "Gary:the Musical"

By the way, I think Paul Anderson is the John Carpenter of the 21st century. That's a compliment by the way. I can't wait to see his Aliens V predator movie!

ROLLO!

Lman316
08-10-2002, 03:15 PM
Uhhhhh...."...it would've been a better film if it wasn't called RE." I don't get that. Either a movie is good or it isn't. I don't see the relevance of what it's called. So if it had a different name, it would improve the dialogue? The production design? the pacing? the plot? i went in thinking "ugh...Video Game movie", but came out going 'Damn. pretty cool." And I'm not even a devoted fan of the game. My roomate had it for PS2 but I got annoyed with the constantly shifting viewpoint feature and set it down after five minutes. but if that's how you feel, go ahead and pretend the title is something other than RE and then give us your opinion of the film.

How about ''Doug's tower of cheese: the Movie"

Or "Gary:the Musical"

By the way, I think Paul Anderson is the John Carpenter of the 21st century. That's a compliment by the way. I can't wait to see his Aliens V predator movie!

ROLLO!

What I mean when I say that it would have been better if they hadn't called it Resident Evil, I'm saying...exactly that.
Are you telling me that if those few elements were removed from the movie: the title, the mentioning of Umbrella, the T Virus; those very few elements and then watched the movie, that you would still think you were watching Resident Evil? Honestly? If someone sat you down to watch this for the first time, and they had dubbed over anything saying "Umbrella" or the "T Virus", I bet you'd say something, "Oh, that's like Resident Evil." But you wouldn't say that it was. As though something was "ripping it off". And I'm only saying that because of zombies, zombie dogs and a lab... That's just how I see it. It's not just as simple as changing the title - I should have made myself a little clearer.

Now this sounds a little obsessed IMO. Yeah, I love this game, don't get me wrong. And I jumped at certain points in the game as much as anyone else. But I was not scared out of my mind. The first time I played through RE1 I started at 9:30PM in my basement with all the lights off, just to get the full effect, and wasn't all that scared.

I'm not obsessed with it, I said that. Just beacuse I liked it, and I said the reasons why that doesn't make me obsessed with it. If every moment of every day of my life I was jabbering on and on about this game and movie, then yeah, you could say that. But don't tell me that I'm obsessed with. I know what I'm not and what I am. I don't enjoy people telling me what I am and what I'm not. I like Star Wars more than Resident Evil, but have you once ever said that I'm obsessed with Star Wars? Maybe you're looking for "taking this too seriously" ? And even that would be wrong. It's just a game.....and now a...movie. I do have a sense of real and not real. But I'm only stating my opinions on the movie.
And I was probably 13, 14 when the game came out, which would better give you a reason as to why I was a little more freaked out. And I have a wild imagination......so, don't judge me until you know me.
And on top of that, the way I've seen some people rave over how "good" this movie was, you could call them obcessed, but you don't. I'm the only one targeted because I missed elements from one of my favorite video games.

That right there is a slap in the face! Saying that my post is not worth your time because I don't get the point right off the bat?? I really should not be responding to this.

Not to say that your post isn't worth my time, but I would be reading arguments that aren't lining up to what I'm saying. To me, it would be like I'm saying, "The grass is green," and then someone coming along saying, "No, the sky is blue!" I did go back and read what you said (only because I don't like to leave anything to chance). I guess I'm not coming across as well as I thought I was here.

The game series was under the genre of Survival Horror. The movie was an action flick. That, right off the bat, doesn't fit. The movie should have been a horror movie. It should have been scary, not startling - but I've said that already. I don't know how I can be more clear about that. Yes, things can be scary. Is that wrong? Should be people not be scared when viewing something that should be a horror film? Am I stupid because I'd want to be scared? Or, am I just "obsessed with it"? And yes, I am a high level of sarcasm at this point... Scenario: "No, well you're stupid and obcessed because you want to be scared and because this isn't what you expected..." That's what it seems like is being said here. And I'm not off base, because that's all I'm saying. I wanted it scarier. I wanted it a little bit more like the video game story line. I wanted other elements: Tyrant, Hunters, Jill, Chris, Barry, Wesker. It was better with a hint of police corruption, rather than just this big, mean, cold corporation alone. There was just more story thrown into a 32 bit video game than a real life movie. That doesn't make much sense to me. The movie was, simply: Boom, boom, gun fire, gun fire, blood, nipple, nipple, skin, blood, gun fire, gun fire. Normally (without the unnecessary nudity), I could watch something like that. But (this might better explain myself), it brings it down a level when it destroys my expectations. When you're thinking, "Good, here comes the STARS team," and then, "Huh? What? They work from Umbrella too? What's going on?"

Anderson, I thought, did Mortal Kombat. And that movie I liked. I thought that it took enough from the game, with a little bit of a back story and turned it into a decent movie. Tomb Raider also had that feel (not done by Anderson - I don't believe...I can't think of who directed it, but I'm going for video game movies, in general) of its game - there wasn't much out of place: same elements with a little bit of a back story, not a completely different story.
However, I didn't know that the Aliens Vs. Predator movie was going to be made. I thought no one wanted to pick up on it. EP, do you have any more info on that? Sorry to change subject :D.

I don't know what else I can say - it just seems that I can't come across and express myself the way I want to. I'm in the midst of finishing the first one, and I still, for the life of me, don't see anything like the Red Queen - I see one, ONE, measly computer, a regular computer that unlocks the doors in the lab areas. I don't know...I really don't. When I finish, I guess I'll get back to this, but I know that I'll still have the same opinion of the film.

Okay, who's next?

End...:rolleyes:.

2-1B
08-10-2002, 11:55 PM
Whoa ! ! !
Looks like a SW Prequel thread in here. ;)

I just popped in here because today I saw a used copy of this flick for $10 and thought about picking it up (haven't seen it yet).
Anyway, I remember hearing about a 2 disc set on the way and I'm wondering if the NC-17 version means more Milla? (wink wink) Or is it just more gore? This is a very important question, please answer with care. :D

Beast
08-11-2002, 12:01 AM
From what I understand, it's just more shots of gore that had to be cut to get an R rating. Grab the used copy if you want Caesar, I think you will like it. Besides, if you don't you can always Ebay it off for about the same you paid. The 2-discer will also have deleted scenes, the original ending, and more. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
08-11-2002, 12:06 AM
Will the deleted scenes have more Milla?

DarthBrandon
08-11-2002, 12:14 AM

What's with you and that skinny chick Milla Caesar?

Beast
08-11-2002, 12:14 AM
I'm sure that we will see more of Milla in the deleted scenes. You really are quite obsessed with her, huh? Well, you do get to see Milla's nipple at the beginning of the movie. She even makes sure to point it out in the audio commentary she did. She shushes everyone and says somthing like, "Quiet, you just saw my nipple." ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
08-11-2002, 12:18 AM
Yes, it's a combination of Eternal Padawan's post and a recent viewing of The Fifth Element that have piqued my curiosity. ;)

But you disappoint me, my old Gungan friend - I was hoping for a more concrete answer than
"I'm sure that we will see more of Milla in the deleted scenes." :rolleyes:

Okay, sorry for my outbursts, I return you now to your regularly scheduled arguing. :D

Beast
08-11-2002, 12:25 AM
Ok, a more concrete answer. I have heard nothing so far as to what the deleted scenes contain. All I know from the DVD is there is an alternative ending, where we get to see Milla use that big rocket launcher gun she's pictured holding on the front of the DVD case. Is that a little better? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Nexu
08-11-2002, 01:23 PM
suh-weeeeeeeeeeet.
I have an early director's cut, in two parts, pretty low quality, but is OK in full-screen. In a few scenes, the sound oom makes an appearence; pretty funny. I need the DVD though. It's out, right?

Beast
06-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Looks like we are finally going to get the SE of Resident Evil that has been on hold for ages. No news if this will be the uncut version that we've heard so much about. But hopefully it is, and it's not just some reissue with a few minor fluff pieces of info for Resident Evil II. It's scheduled for release on 9/7/04. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-26-2004, 01:47 PM
sweet deal!!! Thanks for the info, Binksy. Quick question: i'm a huge RE fan and i haven't heard crap about this SE of RE! Can you give me any info on what was rumored to be included? Also, that release date looks to be a few days before "Apocalypse" hits theaters. Good marketing right there!! :D

Beast
06-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Well, there were some moments of additional gore that was cut from the film. As well as some additional violence. And there's an alternate ending that features that big arse gun that's on the cover of the current DVD. The Deluxe SE has been rumbling for a while, planned as a 2-disc set with new commentaries and features. IMDB.com has some potential possible info for what we could see, if this is the Uncut version with the deleted scenes. Hopefully we'll get some info soon. :)

The U.S. release had some violence censored to avoid an "NC-17" rating.

The trailer has different lines spoken by the same girl.

In trailers for the film, the zombies are shown covered in blue gore. In the actual movie, the blood & gore is red.

Paul W.S. Anderson has indicated in various interviews that an "uncut version" with several minutes of extra footage, including gorier scenes and more character development, will be released in the future as a possible DVD release.

In the TV spot, Red Queen's line "I've been a bad little girl" is pronounced by the hologram, but in the movie it is heard from the intercom

In the theatrical trailer, after shooting the zombie that bit her, Rain says "She isn't standing now," but in the movie she says "***** isn't standing now.

Besides any additional footage of character development or gore missing, Paul Anderson himself said that there was a completely different ending that was originally shot. Even though there are no details at this time, this alternate ending may be re-instated in a 2-disc DVD version a few months after the first single-disc DVD release. It is rumored the both the R-rated cut as well as an unrated director's cut (the above mentioned NC-17 version) will be in the set.

The scene where Alice kills Lisa was cut to remove a close up of the paperweight hitting her head.

The Russian version of the film differs slightly from the one released in U.S. There are a few extra shots of the train, and the scene with Alice and Matt after she kills his zombiefied sister is extended with a short line from Matt, where he explains that he is an internationally wanted criminal.

2-Disc Special Edition DVD includes an alternate ending, which plays six months after the incident at Racoon City. Here Alice wears a Matrix-like costume and goes to the Umbrella Corporation headquarters to search for Matt. You see her going in and one of the guards asks what he can do for her. Before she can answer the security systems identify her and all guards draw their weapons. She consequently draws her own, the camera moves closer and you hear a shot. Then you see a close-up of her closing eye.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
06-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Full Specs are out now, thanks to DVD Answers:

Title: Resident Evil
Starring: Milla Jovovich
Released: 7th September 2004
SRP: $19.94

Further Details
Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment has kindly sent over the official details on the upcoming region one release of Resident Evil: Deluxe Edition which will be arriving in shops this September. The two disc set will be available to own from the 7th September this year, priced at around $19.94. We've attached the full list of disc specifications below, along with our first look at the official artwork. We've also attached a single shot of the discs menu system. The extras included on the previous release were the cast and filmmaker commentary as well as the three featurettes on costumes, the score and the set design.

Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation

English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track

French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track

Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track

Audio Commentary with Cast and Filmmakers

Audio Commentary with the Visual Effects Crew

Alternate Ending with Director's Introduction

Resident Evil: Apocalypse Fangoria Clip Compilation

Resident Evil from Game to Screen Featurette

Storyboarding Resident Evil Featurette

Scoring Resident Evil Featurette

The Creature Featurette