PDA

View Full Version : We Were Soldiers...

Emperor Howdy
03-17-2002, 01:40 AM
A great movie. Go see it if you haven't yet......that's all there is to say.

2-1B
03-17-2002, 02:01 AM
Is there anything to say about Chris Klein ? :D

I plan on seeing it, hopefully next weekend. I'm optimistic because it's based on the book written by Lt. Gen. Moore, I only hope the film does it some justice.

Thanks for the recommendation Howdy :)

Rollo Tomassi
03-17-2002, 10:09 AM
What? I'm sorry. I was distracted by Madelaine Stowe's lips.

We were Soldiers was really good. I thought it was going to be sappy intercutting between the families back home, but it worked well. Chris Klein sucked a little less than usual. Sam Elliot ruled as the curmudgeon first sgt. Be aware that this this film is BLOODY. It makes the opening of Saving Private Ryan look tame, and Black Hawk Down look like a comedy.

And what's with Stowe's lips?

derek
03-17-2002, 10:45 AM
chris klein seems like he is a really nice guy in real life, but how he keeps getting cast in movies boggle my mind.

the film is pretty good. i left a little confused though. maybe i've seen too many war flicks lately and i'm getting numb to this genre, or maybe it was because it was the first film based on vietnam where the soldiers were shown in a positive light.

if you like gibson, or war movies though, you won't be disapointed.

SithDroid
03-17-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by derek
chris klein seems like he is a really nice guy in real life, but how he keeps getting cast in movies boggle my mind.

Since I'm from Omaha and Klein is too, I actually got to work with him on his very first film project, not Election which everybody assumes was his first work, but an independent film that never got released. Two of my ex-roommates also used to be really good friends with him in highschool. He is a nice guy actually. Although I don't really care for him as an actor, he is a pretty down to earth kind of guy.

Emperor Howdy
03-18-2002, 01:09 AM
And what's with Stowe's lips?

:D ....I hear ya....it was hard to recognize her even though I knew who it was.......

........what's up with Sam Elliot's lips!?! It took me a second to get used to him without the giant caterpillar under his nose..........but of course.....rough as nails as usual....so it was all good.

Chris Klein (without giving anything away) was an important character....but then again wasn't. He wasn't that annoying....actually his role made for a very.....errrr...."memorible" situation in the flick.

I'm glad movies are still being made about Vietnam. It's something in our country's history we should never forget. Whether you agreed with the war or not back then...the way some people treated the returning soldiers was, is, and will always be an embarrassment. Even though I was only five at the war's end....that behavior is probably why to this day that the pot-smoking, Grateful Dead, tie-dye wearing hippie-wannabes that prance outside the White House protesting for the ethical treatment of al-Qaida prisoners in Cuba make me sick. Wars are an unfortunate reality.....sometimes declared for the wrong reasons.....but to shun our guys in the military for acting on the orders of our nation's government is unacceptable. If those picketing fairies were to put down their bongs for five minutes and pick up a weapon.....and be put in a situation where it was to be used against another human being.....to kill or be killed.....perhaps their selfish, spoiled perceptions would change a little bit. I don't know about you, but when I look at my uncle's Purple Heart displayed in a frame on his wall, I don't feel angry, brother.....I feel PRIDE.

Rollo Tomassi
03-18-2002, 08:37 AM
Amen, Howdy. Amen.

The soldier puts his life in harm's way, so you CAN sit outside the White House and complain. The freedom of speech (and the rest) ain't free.

jeddah
03-18-2002, 12:46 PM
...I agree to a certain extent because too many times people see the Forces as proponents of War as opposed to Peace.

In any case to me the notion of tree-huggin hippies vs the freedom our protectors offer is a redundant argument since the advent of Nuclear arms. :eek:

I think it is a mistake to assume ones enemy is of the same mindset as oneself, especially when sectarian religion is involved.

Speaking of mindsets, I do think that the Western one is a little off-kilter when the focus is on Peace/War instead of the environment; without the protection of which the argument is moot (in the US meaning of the word;) ). Let's face it, the country least suffering from global warming is that which is mostly responsible for it...Kyoto treaty anyone?

jeddah

Emperor Howdy
03-19-2002, 12:41 AM
jeddah, I can appreciate your viewpoint....and agree with it somewhat.....but that treaty (which, by the way, I thought was a good start, but terribly unbalanced) focused a good bit on the U.S. military's "exorbitant" use of fuels more than the private sector, or the world as a whole. I think that's B.S. (maybe this is my off-kiltered Western philosophy talking :D, but..)....EVERYONE is responsible for global warming. You will never convince me that limiting our military's fossil fuel use (and therefore compromising our strength and experience, i.e. tank training, flight training, etc.) would have anywhere NEAR the impact that overall global conscious efforts would. What?....you want me to take a bus or carpool to work? That's an inconvenience....no....the problem is the U.S. military. Huh? You mean I actually need to spend MY money on more energy efficient appliances?...or insulate my house?...no way....we've got that Lexus and golf course membership payment to make....the problem is the U.S. military. My living is made by the use of fuels...I'm a landscaper......BUT, I do my part. (Besides...less gas is better on my wallet!) I run a composting mower, I coordinate routes to make less trips from one client to another, and most importantly, I plant probably a hundred trees a year. Now...multiply actions like that by 6 billion people, and you have reductions in environmental damage that FAR outweigh any of the actions of the U.S. government or armed forces. The solution to an INTERNATIONALLY lazy, cop-out "I alone can't make a difference" population's problem is NOT limiting ONE nation's energy consumption. Worldwide eduction and effort......from John Doe in the U.S.......to Johnski Doeslavich in the Ukraine......to Johnoya Doechangpow in China............THERE'S your answer.

......and I agree.....the hippie vs military argument IS sadly redundant. You'd figure by now those sandal-wearing spoiled brats would have seen the error of their ways and given a written apology to every veteran their loser parents spit on at the Welcome Home parades 25 years ago.

Emperor Howdy
03-19-2002, 02:08 AM
oh yeah...and another thing....

maybe if individuals around the world would stop milking the system by pumping out more and more kids like a bunch of trailer park rednecks, we wouldn't have unnecessarily larger families, needing more homes, in more subdivisions, with more cars, on more roads, destroying more forests, for more strip malls, with more Old Navys' and more Sports Shoes', ordering inventory from more factories, that make more Star Wars figures......wait.......scratch that........that make more tires and light bulbs that purposely don't last, and more T.V.s and stereo systems, so that the next generation can put skinny low-profiles on their stupid looking "G-rides" and leave every light on in the "house" with Wheel of Fortune and Snoop Dogg blaring in the background while he knocks up his brother's wife, producing yet another cycle of homeless and hungry...........we wouldn't HAVE to blame Uncle Sam, now would we?

(Incidently....I'm all about RESPONSIBLE parenting and family...so no need to ostracize me just because you have kids....everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about!......)

Emperor Howdy
03-19-2002, 02:30 AM
and ONE MORE thing!............is it considered post-padding if I acknowledge this post as number 250, officially making me a Sith Apprentice? WOOOO-HOOOO!!!!! :D

jeddah
03-19-2002, 07:12 AM
Congrats on achieving Sithood Emperor Howdy ;). I’m sure they’ll not regard it as post-padding in view of your considered posts :)

With respect to USA pollution, I didn’t want to come across as blaming US for all emissions, or seeing the KYOTO as a cure-all but unfortunaltey, the US is the largest polluter. Having said that, Vice Chariman to Friends Of The Earth ,Tony Juniper has called for pressure to be applied to those countries who have not signed the pact, including Australia, Japan and Eastern Europe!!!! :eek:

Greenpeace USA said that; “ If the United States continues doing business as usual, we will release 40 billion more tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere over the next 20 years than we would have if we stuck to our 1990 emission levels. The difference between our 1990 levels and our projections amounts to more than India's total CO2 emissions and double that of Germany's emissions. Already, the United States accounts for 25 percent of the world's annual CO2 emissions and 40 percent of CO2 emissions historically— but we only make up four percent of the world's population. (The complete article is at http://www.greenpeaceusa.org/climate/energytext.htm )

But perhaps more shocking is their article here http://www.greenpeaceusa.org/climate/nepresponsetext.htm

These are the kinda things that worried me, not exclusively about the US, but all the developed world. Everyone seems to be so fixated on Peace and War that we’re missing the larger picture, or relegating it to the purview of greeno’s or hippies. I agree a squillion percent with your feelings on the one person saying their effort will not make a difference. I wonder who they will blame when the planet is completely back to front and inside out of the norm…..No doubt the history books will have much to decry and bemoan about mankind’s 20th Century- 21st Century behaviour.

Also your point on family and demographics is spot on. In the UK we have scabs that make no effort during their education, then leave school at 16, get pregnant with a million kids and leach off the DHSS and local council. The Government blames the parents with a circular argument and nothing is done except more Bobbies on the Beat, as if the Police are suddenly inscrutable, and forgetting the maxim prevention is better than cure.

So, I do my [I]bit[i/] but hold out little hope for the future. Poignant words from EP1 for me were; “It is clear to me the Republic no longer functions”

Quite.

jeddah

Rollo Tomassi
03-19-2002, 08:13 AM
Greenpeace is not exactly the most objective source for environmental news. They skew their facts to back their theory.

I wouldn't beleive an article from Ford Motor Company that suggested the world was in natural bliss, either.

Rollo Tomassi
03-19-2002, 08:15 AM
is it post padding for me to have a separate congratulatory post to Emperor Howdy? Way to hit 250! Whoohoo! and Yippee!

That is wacky how you made Sith Apprentice. Like, what a gonzo number.:rolleyes:

jeddah
03-19-2002, 08:59 AM
Sadly, Rollo, that's the kind of mindset I am referring to. ;)

Greenpeace are biased (for the best, I think) but it's not just them that are saying this. Try a few searches and see what you come up with.

jeddah

edit: BTW, sorry if I hijacked your thread EH! :D

Jayspawn
03-19-2002, 10:58 AM
I'm protesting the movie. The reason why is because I'm tired of paying full ticket price for more Mel Gibson WAR movies. I'm sick of them! There's too many war movies as it is. Mel is always the hero who fights for his family and his honor and he kicks some serious butt, his principals are always true and just and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Same old. Same old.

Not to worry, I'm sure Mel will release another war movie later this year sometime.

SithDroid
03-27-2002, 12:09 AM
Saw the movie tonight. Not bad. Could have done without CK and I wanted more of Barry Pepper, but what can you do. I now see what everyone is talking about with Madeline Stowes lips. Can we say coligen (sp?) injections. She should really get rid of those things. She looked fine before without them.

2-1B
03-31-2002, 01:26 AM
I saw it tonight -

Madeline Stowe: I agree, major lippage :D

Chris Klein: nice job, I thought he might be a sore spot for me but he did a good job with that role.

Mel Gibson: another fine performance, I'm ready for Signs :)

Ryan Hurst: third movie I've seen him in (Remember the Titans, Rules of Engagement).

derek, I also like the way the soldiers were portrayed. Brave, tough, scared, proud, all of those traits were highlighted and it was very inspiring. I was able to identify (on a tiny level) with their fear because I can only begin to imagine what it feels like to go into battle. And the scene where a fallen American says he is glad he could die for his country? :cry:

Eternal Padawan
08-22-2002, 08:13 AM
Just picked this up on DVD. Haven't watched it yet (too busy with Van Wilder, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown...by the way, with this week's purchases, I have 500 DVDs :eek: )

Tee Hee. I 'm glad I found this thread before I watched it again. Now I am prepared for Madelaine's big lips again. I had forgotten and would have been distracted through the entire film again.

ROLLO!

SirSteve
08-22-2002, 09:52 AM
It was ok. A lot of the same scene stuff so it didn't keep my attention all the way through.

jobi
08-24-2002, 09:50 AM
I liked it. There were some awesome combat scenes. And Nokoyama's legs YUK!

bigbarada
08-24-2002, 01:44 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but the previews made it seem a little sappy (not that I have anything really against that), but was it? If so, was it Pearl Harbor sappy (where you want to brush your teeth afterwards)? Or Saving Private Ryan sappy (the good kind, that keeps you thinking days after the movie is over)?

I am also glad to finally hear about a Vietnam movie that portrays the Americans positively. It's also nice to know that those former pot-smoking, flower-power airheads no longer have the stranglehold on Hollywood that they used to.

Howdy, the good news about the population problem is that we'll all be extinct from global warming and pollution long before the population ever becomes a serious issue.;) As for pointing the finger of blame for pollution: if you drive a car, then look no further than the reflection in the mirror. Industry isn't the problem, the military isn't the problem. The millions of privately owned vehicles clogging the roads everyday is the problem (along with people who have to drive everywhere they go, even if it is only a mile or two away.:stupid: ).

The Ghost of DeadEye
08-24-2002, 03:32 PM
It's alright, but I thought it wasn't violent enough. I mean, it was a very blooody war, I would have rather focused more on the battles than the stories back home. I still like it though. :)

pthfnder89
08-24-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of DeadEye
It's alright, but I thought it wasn't violent enough. I mean, it was a very blooody war, I would have rather focused more on the battles than the stories back home. I still like it though. :)
Well, I semi-agree that the first half of the movie, at the base, was fairly cheesy (although I LOVE Sam Elliot!:)) and it doesn't really get moving until the battle begins. But I don't see how they could have lengthened the battle scenes to cover the entire movie.

Black Hawk Down had a longer time with the actual battle, but the Mogadishu conflict had more characters and individual stories to draw on. We Were Soldiers spent plenty of time on the battle for me, and I really did like the movie, although I don't think it will ever be considered a classic.

QLD
08-24-2002, 03:39 PM
I like the SNL version better.....a combination of two of Mel's movies.

"We Were Soliers Who Knew What Women Want"

The Ghost of DeadEye
08-24-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I like the SNL version better.....a combination of two of Mel's movies.

"We Were Soliers Who Knew What Women Want"

I don't get it. :confused:

bigbarada
08-24-2002, 04:06 PM
We Were Soldiers + What Women Want = We Were Soldiers Who Knew What Women Want

Geez, do I have to spell it out for ya?:)

No offense, DeadEye, but considering your taste in movies (at least the movies you liked before shuffling this mortal coil ), I don't take "not violent enough" as a very bad thing coming from you.

I am interesting in seeing this because of the historical factor and the fact that the General who was actually in the battle had to leave the theater during it's premiere screening because it was too real to him - that's about the best review you can get from a veteran.

pthfnder89
08-24-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada

I am interesting in seeing this because of the historical factor and the fact that the General who was actually in the battle had to leave the theater during it's premiere screening because it was too real to him - that's about the best review you can get from a veteran.
I heard similar things from the WW2 vets who were at the premiere of Pearl Harbor. But in that case, I think they were probably sick of the movie;)

We Were Soldiers is actually a very decent film BigBarada; I would highly recommend renting it the next time you're in the mood for a war movie. It's also very respectful of the situation I thought. Granted the Americans are portrayed as the noble, tragic heroes and all, but it's very sympathetic to the Vietnamese they fight against as well.

bigbarada
08-24-2002, 04:36 PM
Actually if you can stay awake through the first hour of Pearl Harbor and make it to the actual attack, it does paint a pretty clear picture of what happened that day. I can see many moments during that movie that would be a little hard for a veteran to sit through.

Eternal Padawan
08-25-2002, 11:12 AM
Heck, I found it hard to sit through. (The battle, not the movie.) But there was an old guy in We Were Soldiers when I saw it in the theatre and watching him as he left the theatre was almost enough to make me start crying. It hit him hard and his wife was trying to console him. I hope I never have to visit that sort of grief in real life.

ROLLO!

bigbarada
08-25-2002, 12:51 PM
I had the same experience when watching Saving Private Ryan in the theater. The theater was packed and there was an older guy who was a WW2 vet sitting right next to me. When Corporal Uppum broke down on the stairs while they were defending that bridge, he start crying. You could tell that he understood all too well the fear that Uppum's character was succumbing to. I'm sure every vet feels it at one point or another.

In fact Uppum's "cowardice" in that scene wasn't unusual for WW2 soldiers. The military realized, after the war, that over 70% of American soldiers froze on the battlefield and couldn't bring themselves to aim their weapons and fire on another human being. Thus just before the Vietnam war, the combat marksmanship training was changed so that, instead of simply firing on a bullseye target, the trainees were conditioned to fire on human shaped targets. It worked resoundingly well and in Vietnam 90% of American soldiers had no qualms about firing on another human.

Nowadays, with the popularity of FPS games, I don't think any kid would hesitate to shoot at whoever his government tells him to shoot at.

jobi
08-25-2002, 06:30 PM
Anyway BigB The movie is very good. Not too sappy just not violence from beginning to end. It was good.

DeadEye
08-29-2002, 09:50 PM
I liked We Were Soldiers. I liked it a lot. I got it on DVD.
And BTW, I am not The Ghost of DeadEye. That's Caesar--the evil, evil person has been besmirching my reputation while I was suspended---why he did that, I may never know. :cry:

2-1B
08-31-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
And BTW, I am not The Ghost of DeadEye. That's Caesar--the evil, evil person has been besmirching my reputation while I was suspended---why he did that, I may never know. :cry:

You say that as if you had a good reputation before getting banned. :p
People have been disgusted by your behavior for loooooooooong before the gentle Ghost appeared; please stop crying about how you were wronged when the fact is the Ghost did nothing mischievous. :)

Beast
08-31-2002, 09:46 PM
Exactly what Caesar said. The Ghost was a cool dude, and I miss him greatly. Hmm, when people die they can sometimes leave behind a Ghost. I wonder if we can get the Ghost to return. :evil: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
08-31-2002, 10:28 PM
Good luck! Just try and there'll be a Ghost of Jar Jar. :D

Ghost of Tom Joad
09-01-2002, 01:17 AM
Ooh ooh my BrownEyed Girl
We used to sing, Sha La La La

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 01:27 AM
Who the GONK is Tom Joad?:confused:

Ghost of Tom Joad
09-01-2002, 01:38 AM
I was born down in a dead man's town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
I ended up like a dog that was beat too much
I spent half my life just covering up..........................

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 01:42 AM
Okay, I was only slightly confused before. Now I am totally stumped.:confused::confused:

Ghost of Tom Joad
09-01-2002, 01:44 AM
I got in a little hometown jam
So they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land
To go and kill the yellow man..................

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 01:50 AM
Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuce!!!!!!!!!:)

Eternal Padawan
09-01-2002, 08:18 AM
What does any of this have to do with We Were Soldiers?

ROLLO!

2-1B
09-01-2002, 11:13 AM
In "Born in the U.S.A", the character Bruce sings about was once a soldier. :)

Eternal Padawan
09-02-2002, 08:35 AM
Aha.

Thanks.

ROLLO!

bigbarada
09-05-2002, 10:30 PM
Anyways, hang on to your lunches while I steer this thread back on topic.:)

I just watched this movie yesterday and all I can say is, "Amazing film." Mel Gibson was excellent. Whoever played the Sergeant Major must have been in the military before because he got the attitude down perfect.:cool:

This tops my list of my all-time favorite war movies. Along with Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan and Three Kings.

derek
09-05-2002, 10:49 PM
hey Big Barada,

that sergeant major was played by sam elliot. you probably didn't recognize him because he usually has a bushy moustash in most films. he usually plays a cowboy.:) he was in "tombstone" as wyatt earp's brother.

bigbarada
09-05-2002, 11:15 PM
Ahhhh, I knew he looked familiar. I just couldn't place him. I think the fact that his demeanor matched more than a few Sergeants Major I met in real life clouded my perception. Thanks, derek.:cool:

2-1B
09-05-2002, 11:24 PM
There is indeed a warrant out for the arrest of Sam Elliot's caterpillar. :D

bigB, how did you respond to Chris Klein?
Seriously, I mean it.
My expectation was that he wouldn't belong in the film, but all things considered I thought he did alright.

Jayspawn
09-06-2002, 12:08 AM
I skipped this movie because I'm tired of Mel Gibson war movies. He's made to many of them and I'm tired of it. Every few months he makes another war movie where he plays the hero. I've seen it all by now.

(Sorry Mel, 'Ransom' was great but I'm tired of you right now)

DeadEye
09-06-2002, 07:15 PM
BigB,

You like Three Kings? It's more of a dark comedy than a war movie. The only thing realistic about it is the depiction of American soldiers' behavior during the Gulf War...
We have yet to see a movie about the Gulf War itself.

Beast
09-06-2002, 07:23 PM
Who wants to see a movie about the Gulf War. "Three Kings" works because it's story is about charecters, set in the context of the Gulf War. A movie about the Gulf War would probably be one of the most boring "War movies" ever made. That being said, "Kelly's Heroes" uses a similar plot, but is alot better then "Three Kings" in my opinion. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
09-06-2002, 07:27 PM
I saw a movie on the Gulf War. It was called....ummm....CNN, during the Gulf War. Seriously, they should wait about 10 more years before they make one.

bigbarada
09-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
There is indeed a warrant out for the arrest of Sam Elliot's caterpillar. :D

bigB, how did you respond to Chris Klein?
Seriously, I mean it.
My expectation was that he wouldn't belong in the film, but all things considered I thought he did alright.

I thought Chris Klein did a really good job, I actually felt bad that his character got killed during the battle. Devote religious men like that do exist in the Army and they tend to excel far beyond others and not get beaten down by the system. I only wish that my relationship with God had been stronger when I was in, like Klein's character was.

JarJar is right about Three Kings being more along the lines of Kelly's Heroes, but using that criteria Saving Private Ryan couldn't be called a war movie. Fictional stories taking place in a war environment I still consider war movies. Kelly's Heroes, Three Kings, Saving Private Ryan, Pearl Harbor and any John Wayne film belong in the genre of wartime fiction, which I consider a sub-section of the war movie genre (the other sub-section being wartime non-fiction).

And Jayspawn, that's the second time you've popped in here talking about how you are protesting this film. We all heard you the first time, and frankly we don't really care.:p:D

Beast
09-06-2002, 11:06 PM
Actually BigB, isn't Kelly's Heroes based on an actual event during World War II. I swear I remember seeing the words, "Based on Actual Events" or somthing like that about the movie. And again, it's tons better then Three Kings. Not only in story, acting, but also in the actors involved. Marky Mark and his funky bunch and Ice Cube, I don't consider talented actors. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
09-07-2002, 01:01 AM
I don't know, I'll have to watch it again to find out. I used to think that The Great Escape was a fictional tale, but it turned out to be real also. Even though you could always look at things the way my Sociology teacher did: by the time Hollywood gets through with it, it IS fiction; regardless of whether it says "based on a true story" or not. Sounds about right to me.:)

For the record, I think Mark Wahlberg and Ice Cube did a great job in that movie. I also liked Wahlberg in The Perfect Storm and Ice Cube in Friday. So they aren't really that bad.:cool:

Beast
09-07-2002, 01:20 AM
I may actually be thinking of the movie M*A*S*H. Now that was based on an actual M*A*S*H unit during the Korean War. It was based on a book that was written by a doctor that served in one. It's talked about on the 5-Star DVD that came out recently. Of course things were changed for the movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
09-07-2002, 02:02 AM
It's my understanding that almost EVERYTHING concerning the dialogue in M*A*S*H* was changed. I saw the story on E! (?)awhile back, and apparently the screenwriter was very upset that they didn't use his material, they just riffed and came up with their own stuff. But the director insists the screenplay was important in getting them to that point. :)

Beast
09-07-2002, 02:11 AM
Yeah, they improvised almost everything and ticked off the screenwriter. But the occurances in the movie do mirror the original book. I think it's an excellent film, sometimes it's sad that the TV Series overshadowed the movie so much that many people haven't seen it. :( Seriously, how could you not want to watch a movie where they drop the tent flaps on the nurses' shower with Sally Kellerman in it. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
09-07-2002, 03:17 AM
Courage Under Fire was a 'Gulf War' movie. And a damn fine one if you ask me. If they were going to give an oscar to Denzel for something, I'd rather it was for that than for that Training Day crapfast he did win it for.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah...We Were Soldiers. :)

ROLLO!

Beast
09-07-2002, 03:28 AM
Oh my, yes you are correct EP. And it was an excellent movie, if I do say so myself. Again, it's because, they focused on the actual charecters and made you care about them. Instead of focusing on big bloody battles with bullets blazing. That is the only way that I see "Gulf War" movies actually working. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
09-07-2002, 03:53 AM
The Gulf War wasn't 'epic' enough to focus on the war in and of itself as a basis for a film, but using it as a backdrop to tell a story gives a film a fighting chance. No pun intended. It sets the tone and pace of the film by setting it against national "attitude" and "outlook" at that particular moment in history. Many films do that. you can have a film 'set' during the Vietnam war or the Cold War in the 50's and never see a gunfight in the jungle or spies shooting at each other, but the underlying feelings of that era fuel many of the films subtexts, either overtly or not.

I suspect in the next few years, we'll be seeing plenty of films set against the Tragedy of 9/11 (either right before or right after) without showing a single frame from the event itself. It will simply be used as a backdrop to set the tone for the story. People will recognize it and remember how they felt that day and layer their own feelings onto the characters in the film, so that the film makers won't have to do it deliberately.

ROLLO!

DeadEye
09-07-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Oh my, yes you are correct EP. And it was an excellent movie, if I do say so myself. Again, it's because, they focused on the actual charecters and made you care about them. Instead of focusing on big bloody battles with bullets blazing. That is the only way that I see "Gulf War" movies actually working. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Courage under Fire sucked monkey butts. It was atrocious! We have yet to have a *good* Gulf War movie about the Gulf War.
Jar Jar...please don't tell me you liked The Thin Red Line. Please.

bigbarada
09-08-2002, 03:36 PM
Courage Under Fire was okay, but a little contrived. I guess I just couldn't get past the inaccuracies (especially Denzel's hat. I've seen soldiers almost get Article 15s - the Army's version of non-judicial punishment - for wearing their hat that way) and melodrama (the hispanic sergeant driving his car into a train :rolleyes: ). Although, the fact that I used to run PT right past the swimming pool where they filmed Matt Damon's scenes in Ft. Hood, was pretty cool.

Overall though, I totally forgot about it, which pretty much says volumes for how good it was in my eyes.

I tend to prefer the big, bloody battle scenes as they convey immediately how horrific war is. In fact, only two war movies have impacted me so much as to give me nightmares for days after I watched them, those were Saving Private Ryan and We Were Soldiers (Black Hawk Down impacted me but in a totally different way). It was the gritty realism of the battles that hit me so hard in those films. Something that, unless you have been in combat or been shot at while in a hostile environment, you will never understand. That's why, no offense to anybody here, I tend not to listen to people's opinions about war movies unless they have at least served in the military (including their spouses and children).

I talk to my brother who survived the terrorist bombing of Kobar Towers and the stories he tells and the things he saw could never be shown in an R-Rated movie. Did you know that when a superheated explosion goes off in a crowd of people that their bodies vaporize and a red mist of pure blood settles around the blast area?

He saw a one-time pretty girl who had her entire face ripped off her head (she survived) and a girl he worked out at the gym with was thrown across a tree so hard that she was literally smeared around the tree. They found heads, arms, hands, feet and even pieces of ears with earrings in them lying around the blast area. They even saw bodies thrown through chainlink fences sliced up into nice, neat, little cubelike pieces.

I've been lucky, I was only shot at a couple of times in Bosnia by gunmen in skyscrapers (I won't call them snipers, since that would imply that they actually hit something:) ). So my "combat experience" is just a scratch on the surface of what my brother saw in Saudi Arabia, and a mere smudge compared to what these guys saw during the Vietnam War, WW2 and Somalia.

I think the worst comment I heard from people was how the last words of the dying soldiers was "too cheesy," in We Were Soldiers. Well, those last words are well documented by their comrades and made it into the movie word for word. Like the director said in the commentary, it's just too bad that when these men were shot down and dying while fighting for their country they couldn't have come up with something more witty or ironic to say.

Civilians will never understand war. Unless you have seen it's horror and destructive power first hand (the survivors of 9/11 are war survivors), then you have nothing intelligent to say about it. Harsh, I know, but true.

derek
09-08-2002, 04:17 PM
very good post Big Barada.:)

i think no matter how much gore is seen on the big screen in war films, it always seems to be romanticized a bit, even if it's very graphic. while hollywood has done a service to those who served, it also puts "unrealistic, heroic" notions in the heads of the video game generation. it's easy for some to call the corpral from "Saving Private Ryan" a coward, but untill one is there, i'd recommend they hold their tongue.

Darth Trymybestus
09-12-2002, 03:59 PM
We were soldiers is a very good movie, it has epic battles and it really makes you feel for the characters.
As for a really great war movie that focuses on the characters, Full Metal Jacket is probably the best one, it truly focuses on the characters.
You see how Joker goes from an 18 year old young marine recruit to a killer in Vietnam.
And also, you see the confident Cowboy panic in the heat of battle, this was one awesome movie and yeah, I'm off the topic a little here but hey... We Were Soldiers rocks!

Darth Trymybestus
09-12-2002, 04:03 PM
oops, this was meant for the We Were Soldiers thread as I was pointing out a war movie to Jar Jar Binks that focused on the characters.
Could a MOD please move this? Thanks

Darth Trymybestus
09-12-2002, 04:07 PM
We were soldiers is a very good movie, it has epic battles and it really makes you feel for the characters.
As for a really great war movie that focuses on the characters JarJar, Full Metal Jacket is probably the best one, it truly focuses on the characters.
You see how Joker goes from an 18 year old young marine recruit to a killer in Vietnam.
And also, you see the confident Cowboy panic in the heat of battle, this was one awesome movie and yeah, I'm off the topic a little here but hey... We Were Soldiers rocks

Tycho
08-28-2006, 03:26 PM
And the scene where a fallen American says he is glad he could die for his country? :cry:

I felt so sorry for him as I thought he'd been lied to and sent over there just to indirectly sell equipment for Bell Helicopters etc.

What the heck were we doing in Vietnam? How did it benefit the defense of our country?

Tycho
08-28-2006, 03:39 PM
The Gulf War wasn't 'epic' enough to focus on the war in and of itself as a basis for a film, but using it as a backdrop to tell a story gives a film a fighting chance. No pun intended. It sets the tone and pace of the film by setting it against national "attitude" and "outlook" at that particular moment in history. Many films do that. you can have a film 'set' during the Vietnam war or the Cold War in the 50's and never see a gunfight in the jungle or spies shooting at each other, but the underlying feelings of that era fuel many of the films subtexts, either overtly or not.

I suspect in the next few years, we'll be seeing plenty of films set against the Tragedy of 9/11 (either right before or right after) without showing a single frame from the event itself. It will simply be used as a backdrop to set the tone for the story. People will recognize it and remember how they felt that day and layer their own feelings onto the characters in the film, so that the film makers won't have to do it deliberately.

ROLLO!

World Trade Center
United Flight 93
more to come?

Then of course there was Jar Head. Courage Under Fire, sure. Then there was another one, I think it had Jodi Foster in it. I can't remember. Plus there was the FX TV series "Over There" which I really wished would have lasted more than 1 season.

El Chuxter
08-28-2006, 07:30 PM
I haven't seen Jarhead, but wasn't it set in the first Persian Gulf War?

Slicker
08-28-2006, 07:32 PM
I haven't seen Jarhead, but wasn't it set in the first Persian Gulf War?
Yep. It was a damn fine movie too and it's on the list of movies with the most F bombs too.:yes:

Rocketboy
08-28-2006, 08:37 PM
^ Agreed.
It was a movie that came close to being as good as the book.