PDA

View Full Version : What mobile phone do you use?

Pendo
03-17-2002, 12:30 PM
Just wondering what mobile phones you all use. I use a Nokia 3330. It's key features are:

WAP, chat messaging, animated screen savers, downloadable game packs, vibra feature, voice dialing, picture viewer, predictive text input, new Bumper and Space Impact games, Xpress-on™ covers, and more...

PENDO!

Padmé Skywalker
03-17-2002, 04:53 PM
i use a motorola m37883 and it is total crappy, it does nothing! i am geting a new one soon.

JediTricks
03-17-2002, 07:20 PM
Motorola V-series V.2267, on Sprint PCS. It's an OK unit, small and light, but what I really like is that it's taken quite a beating so far without breaking. I've dropped it many, many times and it's never even shown one sign of trouble. I love the idea of flip phones, but they're too flimsy, my sister's phone broke twice already and she's really careful with it. The only problem I have is the lack of accessories out there.

Jargo
03-17-2002, 08:42 PM
I'm a technophobe. I hate new fangled technologies and especially gimmicky ones. I refuse to upgrade my crappy Mitsubishi Trium. It does what i bought it for - make calls and recieve calls and that's about it. The guy in the shop looked at me weird when i turned down the Nokia he was trying to sell me as better and funkier and more gimmicky. I just bought it as a portable payphone to call taxis and call to say I'll be late because the taxi didn't show yet etc. I leave it switched off more than I use it. Can't understand the mobile phone phenomenon with all the downloadable games and 'tunes' ringtones and graphics and this and that. WAP phones baffle me even more. Are people that dependent on phones for retrieving e-mail or checking the net that they can't be arsed with making it to an internet cafe? Pointless and expensive. And soooooo small. People are going to go blind tryig to use these tiny phones. Flip phones are just packed with one more thing to go wrong.
I'll admit that the newer phones we have are so much better than the house bricks they were when they first came out with mobile phones but even so they're getting too small. Phone on a watch? Pleeeeeease!!! :rolleyes:

No, I'll be sticking with my antiquated (two year old) phone for quite some time. It's been dropped into water onto concrete and down a flight of stairs and still works as well as it did when i bought it. And the reception is the best I've ever encountered on a mobile phone. And I've used an awful lot of other peoples to save on my own call charges :D I'm really cheeky sometimes......

Magnolia-Fan
03-17-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I'm a technophobe. I hate new fangled technologies and especially gimmicky ones. I refuse to upgrade my crappy Mitsubishi Trium. It does what i bought it for - make calls and recieve calls and that's about it. The guy in the shop looked at me weird when i turned down the Nokia he was trying to sell me as better and funkier and more gimmicky. I just bought it as a portable payphone to call taxis and call to say I'll be late because the taxi didn't show yet etc. I leave it switched off more than I use it. Can't understand the mobile phone phenomenon with all the downloadable games and 'tunes' ringtones and graphics and this and that. WAP phones baffle me even more. Are people that dependent on phones for retrieving e-mail or checking the net that they can't be arsed with making it to an internet cafe? Pointless and expensive. And soooooo small. People are going to go blind tryig to use these tiny phones. Flip phones are just packed with one more thing to go wrong.
I'll admit that the newer phones we have are so much better than the house bricks they were when they first came out with mobile phones but even so they're getting too small. Phone on a watch? Pleeeeeease!!! :rolleyes:

No, I'll be sticking with my antiquated (two year old) phone for quite some time. It's been dropped into water onto concrete and down a flight of stairs and still works as well as it did when i bought it. And the reception is the best I've ever encountered on a mobile phone. And I've used an awful lot of other peoples to save on my own call charges :D I'm really cheeky sometimes......

You sound like the "Grumpy Old Man" from Saturday Night Live...

"Back in my day, we did'nt have all of these fandangled mobile phones..."

Jayspawn
03-18-2002, 12:34 AM
I have a Nokia. I like it!

humsup
03-18-2002, 04:04 AM
I'm now using a Nokia 8250. Upgraded not long ago from a Nokia 3210 :D

warren
03-18-2002, 04:46 AM
I am using Nokia 8210 now. Just upgraded from the Ericson T28. That's because the T28 is giving me a lot of problem with the flip. Opening without even touching it ,......Ughhhh !!
And the speaker is just as bad. sometimes when people call me, they claim that they can't even hear me when I am practically shouting at them !
Can you believe that....
More over it is only a year plus since I used it.

kadamontaga
03-18-2002, 07:43 AM
I just swapped my Ericsson T20s for a Nokia 3330.

I loved the flip on the T20, but then one day I dropped it, and it hit the edge of the sink on the way down. It's flip went floppy after that and the whole expierience wasn't as satisfying as I'd have liked.

So, I broke my vow never to own a Nokia (because everybody else seems to have them) and bought a 3330 and I love it. I'm on a contract with free WAP access and its very handy. Plus, I've got a Darth Vader screensaver, plus two Star Wars ringtones (the slower one from the end and the Imperial tune).

Oh, and a Spidey fascia thing.

By the way, how do you pronounce "fascia"?

JetsAndHeels
03-18-2002, 01:49 PM
Ive got a Nokia something or another.
Its a flip, very compact, works pretty good. It has taken quite a beating as well. Ran over the antenna first day I had it and it still works.
Since then it has been outside in the rain, washed in my jeans, and even got into the microwave somehow.
Still works.
Amazing.

warren
03-19-2002, 01:52 AM
Wow !! What kind of material are they using for your handphone JF96 ?
Your handphone must be one tough nut for the adventures it is going through and still be functioning O.K.

Definitely must be a nokia 6150 !!! Right ?

Emperor Howdy
03-19-2002, 03:46 AM
I still use the beeper/payphone method. I think we're going to find out in the next few years that cellphones cause brain cancer, or ear tumors, or something..........:eek: :D :eek:

Truthfully....I just don't want to be found 24/7. If I had one, it would be off 95% of the time. If you need me...page me. I'll get back to you when I can.

JetsAndHeels
03-19-2002, 08:26 AM
I dont know what model it is exactly Warren, but it is one tough phone. If I ever have to get a new one I doubt anyone would ever take it as a trade because it is so beaten up. But it does the job, and that is all that matters.

DeMoN
03-19-2002, 05:02 PM
I use a Nokia 6210, - it has the fastest data tranfer rate on the market at the mo. It's nice and light too:D

warren
03-19-2002, 09:47 PM
Yeah !! You got that right JF96. As long as it does what it is bought for, I don't think I would want to trade it away too.:D

Wolfwood319
03-19-2002, 09:52 PM
Ahhh...the 'ole mobile phone question.

Well, I don't use a mobile phone at all. Never had one, don't plan on getting one. I really don't need the ability to call people when I'm out, or vice versa.

I actually quite despise cell phones. It all started when I started college, and say everyone at any given point in time standing around talking into a little black piece of plastic. They just give people a reason to talk about the most mundane things.

Suffice to say, I don't use a cell phone. If someone needs to get me, and they know me, they'll know how to reach me.

JetsAndHeels
03-20-2002, 10:57 AM
Cell phones, like anything else, have their good and bad points.
Of course I have a problem with them when I go to the movies and some rude person decides to answer their call and talk during the film. Or when I am out somewhere and people think they have the right to talk as loud and obnoxiously as they want.
Or when I see a bunch of 9 and 10 year olds talking on them who really dont have any business with one.
On the flipside, my cell phone has saved my tail in a couple of situations. I recall one particular time when my car broke down on I-40 in the middle of Raleigh. I was coming back from a hockey game and was stranded on the road for over 2 hrs. If I hadnt had that phone, I couldnt have made those calls. Sure I couldve walked to a pay phone, but that is very inconvenient.
And to this day that is why I have a cell phone. Not to gossip or chat, but to be reached or to call out for emergencies.

stillakid
03-20-2002, 11:07 AM
Motorola ST7868. It's the little black flip phone. I like it because I can get text messages and check my AOL mail.

I'm holding out on upgrading for as long as possible so my next phone can be a PDA/Phone combo. I haven't liked any of the ones that have come out so far and Verizon seems to be the last company to implement the newest technology anyway. I'm looking forward to seeing the Mindspring Treo 180 which was highlighted in a recent issue of Yahoo magazine. I just hate carrying things around, so the less, the better.

http://www.handspring.com/products/treo/index.jhtml?sub_nav_section=Overview&prod_cat_name=Treo

But, as usual, I'll have to wait. Besides, there are new toys to buy! :)

Jek Porky 2002
03-20-2002, 05:59 PM
I use a Nokia 3310 but I'm getting a Nokia 8210 in the near future. By the way I thought Americans called Mobiles "cell phones".

warren
03-20-2002, 11:56 PM
there is always people who are not civic minded or not sensitive to other people feelings !!!
When you are in the movies, you are suppose to switch off your cell phone as not to disturb other viewers enjoyment.
I always do that !!!
I guess some people just need the extra civic lessons !!!

Why are you changing from 3310 to 8210 Jek Porky 2002 ? I thought that the 3310 has more functions!
As I know, my 8210 does not have a lot of functions like no composer, no screen saver and a few more that I can't recall. All this functions are in 3310 I think. My friend have one 3310 and she is quite happy with it !

billfremore
03-21-2002, 12:08 AM
I got a Nokia 3360 with Rogers AT&T service up here in Canada.

Does anybody know where you can get customized ring tones?
Perhaps the Imperial March? :D

scruffziller
07-03-2002, 08:22 PM
I have a Nokia I tried to avidly avoid the cell phone market but recent circumstances forced me to obtain one.

Jonna
07-10-2002, 01:41 PM
I refuse to use one (even though it would be cool to answer "Mulder" every time someone calls). People yell at me about not being able to contact me all the time, but that's exactly why I don't have one. When I am out, I don't want to be bothered.

BanthaPoodoo
07-10-2002, 02:01 PM
I use a Nokia 5185. It came free with my plan. One day soon I plan on upgrading to something more ritzy & unique, but for now, it serves its purpose.

As for ringtones, I forget where I got my Notre Dame theme song, but this site here has a large selection & they're free (I think only for Nokia, but I could be mistaken...

Ring Tones (http://www.nokiaringtone.org/)

Heres a sample:

Imperial March (http://www.nokiaringtone.org/ringtones/0562.mid)

& another ring tone site with Star Wars tones:

Another site (http://www.ringtones-direct.com/ringtones/film-star-wars.htm)

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 02:05 PM
I got a Star Tac and a Nokia and they are used just for Emergency's for the wife and I.

Jedi Juice
07-10-2002, 06:25 PM
I use the Samsung SPH-8500 flip phone on the Sprint PCS service. I really enjoy the phone because of its graphical userface and I can check my AOL mail, etc. I've been using it for over a year now and it's just cool.

JetsAndHeels
07-10-2002, 07:32 PM
I have a Motorola Star Tac, and I absolutely love it. One of the best phones on the market today.

JEDIpartner
11-18-2002, 09:17 AM
where can I get a STAR WARS ringtone for my mobile? I live in the US and it seems that all the links are for continental Europe!

:confused:

Exhaust Port
11-18-2002, 09:43 AM
Samsung SPH-8500. I gets the job done and that's about the limit of my cell phone knowledge.

scruffziller
11-18-2002, 09:47 AM
Nokia

Lord Malakite
11-18-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Ahhh...the 'ole mobile phone question.

Well, I don't use a mobile phone at all. Never had one, don't plan on getting one. I really don't need the ability to call people when I'm out, or vice versa.

I actually quite despise cell phones. It all started when I started college, and say everyone at any given point in time standing around talking into a little black piece of plastic. They just give people a reason to talk about the most mundane things.

Suffice to say, I don't use a cell phone. If someone needs to get me, and they know me, they'll know how to reach me.

Wolfwood319 has done quite an excellent job of summing up my feelings on cell phones in addition to his own.

JEDIpartner
11-18-2002, 11:47 AM
Honestly, I hate mobiles... but my partner got one for me as part of the deal on his. He was a little miffed with me when I said I didn't plan on using it very often.

I hate people who call others on the cell just to ask "What's up?" "What's up" is I am off doing something and that's why you couldn't reach me at home!!! Stupid! :mad:

Deoxyribonucleic
11-18-2002, 12:07 PM
I am myself mobilphonelesssssss

I take my mother's with me if I drive a long ways away for emergencies but other than that, I barely like to answer the phone as it is and definitely don't want to be bothered when I'm "away" from the phone at home :) But I can understand how some people's lifestyles really need them. Right now, mine doesn't and I'm thankful for that and besides I've almost been laid out several times on my motorcycle by people driving and yapping at the same time, so there's another whammy for me!

No beeper either :)

JEDIpartner
11-18-2002, 12:51 PM
I totally hear you! I have always pulled over on the shoulder whenever I have ever used a mobile in a car... except for when i've been the passenger, of course!

Deoxyribonucleic
11-18-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I totally hear you! I have always pulled over on the shoulder whenever I have ever used a mobile in a car... except for when i've been the passenger, of course!

Same here. I was actually with some friends on the freeway the other day and there was this guy driving and he sideswiped a semi-truck, almost going under it, almost ran into the car on the other side of him and then came hairs away from hitting us and he didn't even realize, so since I was a passenger, I used my friend's cellphone, called 911 and gave them the goings on and the plate number and where we were and hopefully they got him, whether he was drunk or maybe having medical problems, he needed to be OFF the road! So the phone did come in handy for that so I can see the good in them but like I said before, only for emergencies! :)

darthvyn
11-18-2002, 02:55 PM
i just recently signed up for a two week trial with cingular... i don't know if i'll continue it or not... i have never had MUCH use for one, but i know it would come in handy in some instances... it seems that the voicestream rates are better than the cingular ones, and they both use the same "standard" so they have just about the same exact coverage...

for everyone that says they don't want to be bothered when they're away, i used to use that excuse too, but you can turn the phone off - the best of both worlds - you have it there when you need it, and won't be bothered when you don't want to be... still, for the most part, i just don't see it as a necessary expense. it would be better, however, for when i need to be contacted by design/illustration clients so they don't speak to my mom! :sur: