PDA

View Full Version : What got you into Star Wars?

Grif
03-17-2002, 12:45 PM
Compared to some of you I am a new comer to the Star Wars Universe. As a little kid I always heard about Star Wars and it sounded great, but I never really sat down and watched it. Finally I saw it and it was really cool. But I did not become a real hardcore fan until 3 years ago.:eek: :eek: That is right, only 3 years ago!!
I was in school and my classmates and I were wondering why our teacher had told us to stop doing work. It turned out that she wanted to show us Star Wars. And she incoureged us to go out and see Episode 1. So I did and now I am addicted.

Pendo
03-17-2002, 12:55 PM
I first saw Star Wars when I was about six, A New Hope came on TV and my step dad encouraged me to watch it. My first reaction was "It's s***!" I honestly couldn't get into it.
About a year later, The Empire Strikes Back was shown on telly and I decided to watch it to see what it was like. It was then that I fell in love with the series.

So I would say that it was a mixture of my step-dad and TESB that got me into Star Wars.

I never saw ROTJ for about 2 years after that, but I finaly bought the video and that just increased my love for the saga, even though I now think that ROTJ is the worst in the classic trillogy.

PENDO!

JetsAndHeels
03-17-2002, 01:07 PM
All of the credit goes to my mommy.
She went to see ANH in 1977 when she was pregnant with me....
And then growing up I had all the toys and I had the Yoda underoos and the Burger King glasses and...well you get the idea.
I didnt really understand Star Wars until ROTJ in 1983 and that is when I began to love it.
Then my love for it was rekindled when the POTF2 collection started coming out in 95-96.
So it really has been something I have loved all my life, and something I will love forever.

InsaneJediGirl
03-17-2002, 02:18 PM
My dad got me into Starwars.I used to hate it when I was under
the age of 10,but he would make me watch it since we didnt have cable then,but we had SW taped :D

Then,when I was 11,the special edition came out and my dad
made me watch that too,it was awesome!Five years later I'm
still a huge SW fan..to the point of obsession really!:D

Dar' Argol
03-17-2002, 02:19 PM
I was about 5-6yrs old when ROTJ came out in theaters. My dad said he wanted to take me to see it. He was a bit of a Sci-Fi fan. So we went to the theater and for the first time in my life(at the time) I sat all the way through a movie! I never took my eyes off the screen, I never figited in my seat, I never asked 500 questions. I just sat and watched. And then my dad and I went out to TRU and he got me my very first fig, Lando in Skiff Guard disguise! This is a very treasued memory for me since my dad is no longer with us:(. But thanks to him, I'll be a SW fan for life!!:D

SithDroid
03-17-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
All of the credit goes to my mommy.
She went to see ANH in 1977 when she was pregnant with me....
And then growing up I had all the toys and I had the Yoda underoos and the Burger King glasses and...well you get the idea.
I didnt really understand Star Wars until ROTJ in 1983 and that is when I began to love it.
Then my love for it was rekindled when the POTF2 collection started coming out in 95-96.
So it really has been something I have loved all my life, and something I will love forever.

It was pretty much the same way for me. I was born in 1977 and the first movie my mom took me to see was SW. I was only two months old at the time, but I think that is where it all began, even although I don't remember it. I DO however clearly remember seeing the rerelease of it in theares and seeing ESB and ROTJ in the theatre. It was just an amazing experience for a child. Plus I also had tons of figures and vehicles (which, thank God, my mom actually kept and didn't sell in a garage sale). I also had the underoos, and the Burger King glasses whihc I still have, and for Halloween one year I went as Yoda. My love for it was also rekindled when the new POTF2 line was released. At first I opened them all up, but then slowly I began to buy extras until I became a loose and carded collector. Also waiting in line for hours for tickets for TPM was an amazing experience. So all in all I'd have to say that pretty much all my life I have loved SW.

2-1B
03-17-2002, 03:21 PM
At age 4 my mom took me to see the ESB rerelease right before ROTJ's release, and I was mesmerized pretty much like you were Dar' Argol :) They fed my love for the films with figures, clothing, birthday cakes (I had a cool Vader/Chewie cake one year).

Dar' Argol, I'm sorry about the loss of your father. I have some great memories of vintage figures and my parents, memories that are so clear and vivid . . . my dad bringing home a Tusken Raider after work one day, my mom bringing home Lobot and Boba Fett (my sister got Fett, I took Lobot), the Christmas morning when they had a Vader carrying case loaded with figures just waitin' to be played with.

I guess it's not Star Wars that's so special, but the fun I've had with others through the connectivity of the saga.

:)

Jargo
03-17-2002, 04:03 PM
1977, My uncle and Auntie being hip young dudes went to see STAR WARS and came back talking about how cool Darth Vader was and how cool harrison Ford was and The swoop of the millenium Falcon out of the eye of the star at the last minute to save Luke...... That's what they said. I was curious but didn't think much about it. Then a year later I went on a cub scout camp and one of the kids had a couple of action figures. Princess leia and I think it was ben. I was amazed at how tiny the figures were because up until then action toys were huge monster things. I wanted some cool little figures and went to the local toy store where they had Greedo and Hammerhead and Walrus man....... I was sold on STAR WARS! I didn't even know anything about the movie or what happened or why these characters existed, they were just cool!!!!!! Then my friend got the X-wing and Luke, a deth star droid, another friend got a couple of other ones and I got a stormtrooper. WOOHOO! Stormtroopers were fantastic, i had to know more...... Didn't see a movie until they showed THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and A NEW HOPE together at the local fleapit cinema. Talk about addict - I spent every penny I had from that point on on anything star wars related. And apart from a brief stop during the star wars wilderness years I haven't stopped since. A slow start but that's how I got hooked.

But to be honest, it's the droids and aliens that keep me coming back. I couldn't care less about the heroes or the human characters really. I just love the cool aliens and the wacky droids. The locations designs and the ships. I went through a period of model building and customised many expensive aircraft and tank kit models into weird spacecraft. All based on star wars but with the limitations of the kits pieces they did look a little strange....

What more can I say? When I die I want everyone dressed as cantina patrons or droids. Is that too much to ask of my friends - to turn up at the funeral in costume? :crazed:

stillakid
03-17-2002, 04:24 PM
Um, let's see...I was 8 in 1977 and being that it was so long ago, I honestly don't remember what made me want to see it.

Actually, I don't think that I understood it's true impact until a few years later. See, I grew up in this tiny little town (no McDonalds at the time) and certainly no movie theater. My parents never took us to see many movies. I remember that occassional Disney thing, but that was rare. So we went to see Star Wars and of course, my brothers and I went nuts, acting out scenes, shooting each other like Stormtroopers and stuff like that. I went home and drew some (terrible) pictures of X-Wings and stuff. They went along with my Space 1999 renderings. I remember going into KMart one day and seeing a rack of "action figures" right up near the front of the store. I'd never had anything like that so I asked for one. Mom pointed at one of them and said "Oh, he looks cute" so I went home with R2 (funny, the little details that stick in our heads while so much else is gone forever).

Anyhow, it wasn't until a few years later when I started seeing more movies that I realized just how good Star Wars was. The rest of the films just, well, sucked. I remember going to see Buck Rogers in the theater at some point and thinking, "Man, this is bad."

So, I casually started collecting the action figures and ships and it all just kinda continued. The biggest impact it had on my life was getting me into the career that I'm in today. I decided that I wanted to make movies just as good as Star Wars. I'm still working to get to that point, but I can blame Star Wars for the money I make now in salary :greedy: as well as the money I spend for the hobby :cry: . It giveth and it taketh away.

PloKoon2385
03-17-2002, 04:44 PM
Actually, not the movie for me. I was in Cub Scouts and my friend had a Darth Vader toy. I was intrigued and I decided to buy some. So, I went to Fred Meyer and bought: Obi-Wan, Luke, Han, Chewie, C-3P0, R2-D2, and Vader. I never turned back since. I had only seen the movie a couple of times and never was really into it very much. But in '95 or '97, whenever the POTF2 figs came out, I became a HUGE Star Wars fan. Thank you so much for showing me the Vader fig!

Padmé Skywalker
03-17-2002, 04:50 PM
My friend was having a sleep over and she is a big star wars fan. i'd never seen them before so she put on return of the jedi and i loved it. i have been a fan ever since.

SWAFMAN
03-17-2002, 09:37 PM
As with probably most young folks of my generation who watched Armstrong step on to the moon on live TV one evening, I was forever hooked as a space/sci-fi fan. I saw every sci-fi movie that came out. As a teenager, I remember going to a drive-in in Cape Cod one summer to see Star Wars EP4 for the first time. I loved it, and saw it many more times on the big screen that season. It's kind of ironic now to watch the Special Edition releases, and hear Lucas sort of lamenting the constraints of budget and technology for special effects back then, because I remember back to that summer and how great the effects and the whole movie were for me. I don't think any other film franchise has created a more enduring and intimate collection of characters. By intimate, I mean characters that so many moviegoers can not only name, but talk about as though they were practically family members.

Jedi Mara Jade 809
03-17-2002, 10:49 PM
It all started fo me backin 1992, NBC was showing ESB and ROTJ for the 15th anniversery of Star Wars, I had never seen it before and caught the last hour of Empire, only because my sister was watching it, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and could barly wait until the next night when ROTJ was on. I thought the movies were great, but what made it into an obsession for me was reading Timothy Zahn's books. I was hooked and since then have collecting anything Star Wars that I could get my hands on.

jedihunter25
03-17-2002, 11:40 PM
My mom took me to go see ANH back in 77 at the movie theater when I was four. It was the coolest thing I ever saw(for a four year old). I started making paper cut-out figures a couple months before Kenner made figures. After that I was so into it and had everything until I hit my teenage years. I kind of lost interest from playing in big hair rock bands back then. Then back in 94 I picked up a magazine called Star Wars Galaxy that showed all the figures I use to own. I was pulled back into it. I was going around to comic shops picking up old figures and watching the movies again. Then a couple of months later, they started making the orange carded figures. Talk about perfect timing!!!

hamsterboy
03-18-2002, 02:18 AM
I was about 6 or 7 when Star Wars came out in '77. Saw it in theater,been hooked ever since.

Emperor Howdy
03-18-2002, 02:50 AM
I second hamsterboy........8 years old....1977....movie theater.....totally freakin' mesmorized.....hooked for life.

Now......24 years later.....2002......DVD player and Ep.II around the corner.....totally freakin' mesmorized....hooked for life......but a little bit more of a receding hairline. I don't know what happened. :confused:

TeeEye7
03-18-2002, 03:54 AM
Try being 23 when Star Wars (later renamed ANH) came out.

I've been a space exploration and sci-fi fan since Sputnik and Telstar, boys and girls!

Star Wars has that timeless formula of good vs. evil, boy coming of age, etc., etc. etc. that appeals to us all. It's Beowolf meets technology. The story line isn't especially new or unique, but it was the look of SW that hooked me. The ships, costume design, settings were a new twist for the time.

In 1977, we were ready for something new. Something different. We had pulled out of Viet Nam recently and we had experienced over a decade of civil unrest in the county. All was too serious. SW filled the gap. We were ready to escape.

Now that I'm a dad, I've been able to enjoy collecting with my son. Wasn't into it in the late 70's as I was a poor grad student working and saving my bucks to study in Europe (thank goodness ANH ran the whole year I was there!). With my son, I've been able to enhance my love for things Star Wars. Luckily, my wife is a fan, too (not to mention tolerant of our collecting habit).

Been hooked since the beginning.

:)

humsup
03-18-2002, 04:02 AM
My dad is the culprit. He brought me and my bro to watch ANH back in 1977 when I'm only 4. After the movie, we went out shopping and I remember I bought a stormtrooper then. From then on, I'm hooked. My brother moved on with his life but a part of me was left permanently in that timeframe and its now back to haunt me.

Obi-Don
03-18-2002, 04:22 AM
My dad and mom took me and my brother to the drive-in to see this movie and I was hooked.I was 12 at the time and now I'm 37. I really don't think my view of Star Wars has changed very much. I still love it and I figure I always will.

LTBasker
03-18-2002, 05:43 AM
When I was 4 (15 now :cool: ) my Mom sat me down on the couch and she popped in ANH, right when that X-wing flew onto the screen and blew up that old silver FOX logo, I was hooked beyond no compare (even now I've not been hooked on anything more!) She also had a few of the vintage figures, Obi-Wan, X-wing Luke and Chewie and I was in love with StarWars and always will be. :happy: :happy:

dr_evazan22
03-18-2002, 11:45 AM
I was 7 and my Mom dragged me and my bro to see a sci-fi flick I didn't want to see. Then the opening scroll started to roll and I kept having to ask what it said.
Then the Tantive IV flew over... and you know what happened next.
I don't remember exactly when I started collecting, but I played w/ the toys into my 7th or 8th grade.
In middle school the kids were playing D&D, so I packed everything away in the attic, until '95.
It was the Zahn books, and Dark Empire that really got me excited again.

billfremore
03-18-2002, 02:14 PM
My dad took my brother and I to see Star Wars when I was 7.
I was the only kid in my class who hadn't seen it yet and after some prodding from my mother dad took us.

I have yet to recapture the feeling of amazement and wonder I felt during and after that movie.

I've been hooked ever since.

(And I still keep going to the movies to try to recapture that feeling)

Lobito
03-18-2002, 08:43 PM
I was 3 yrs. old when i first saw the movie, and since them i've been hooked to all SW related things. Its been 25 great years of enjoying the saga, yep i'm 28!!:D

darth maul rat
03-24-2002, 06:04 PM
Thank god for Emperor Jargo and Stillakid. A lot of those early replies were making me feel OLD. I was almost 8 when ANH came out, and my older brothers went to see it. They liked it, but at the time, if it didn't come out at the drive-in, I didn't see it. And nobody I knew really talked much about it, so I did not care. Then we moved from Tupelo, MS to Indianapolis in September of '77. This place was like Star Wars central. You were nobody if you had only seen it once, let alone someone like me who had not seen it. I collected all the cards and read the book, but that was not enough. I had to see the flick. But the problem was, the only theatre that had it was on the other side of town, and mom had a hard time getting three hours free to take us to it. But finally, in October, we finally got to see it. And I have been a Star Wars nut ever since.

JEDIpartner
03-25-2002, 02:00 PM
And the fact that my folks knew I like space things. I was a fan of SPACE:1999 and wanted to be an astronomer or an astronaut when I was a kid. They thought this would be a fun movie for me to see. They were right!! I remember the film "Rollercoaster" playing in the next theatre. The sound from that film was so loud that you could hear it rattle the walls. They were showing it in "Sensurround"... do any of you remember that???

By the way... I was almost TEN when I went to see the film!!!

-JediMaster-Yoda-
08-10-2002, 09:19 PM
I was 1 when I watched Star Wars ROTJ, Well I really didnt watch it but my whole famaliy watched it on cable. from when I was 3 I started playing with my older brothers sw toys. From then on I couldnt wait intill they released a new set of the toys. Then POTF2 came along

DarthBrandon
08-10-2002, 09:31 PM
I was seven when Star Wars came out and like D.A. posted my father took me to see ANH in 1977. After that I've been hooked ever since, my father like D.A.'s has passed on and I guess if it wasn't for him I may have never gotten hooked on this S.W. stuff.

Thanks Dad:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-11-2002, 08:01 PM
My parents' first date was . . . yup, you guessed it . . . seeing Star Wars in 1977. When the SE came out 20 years later, they said, hey, we gotta go see it with the kids, so we (Mom, Dad, Abby, Amy, and a 7-year-old-kid named John :D) saw it, and, obviously, I loved it!

sith_killer_99
08-11-2002, 10:17 PM
WOW, Lobito and I are in the same boat! I am also 28!

My parents took me to see Star Wars in the theater! It is...to this day my earliest childhood memory. It was a powerful experience for me even at that age.

When the movie ended I sat through the credits. The lights came up and still I sat there. My parents were curious as to why I was sooooo quite....just sitting there. After the lights came back on my parents told me it was time to go and I cried....LITERALLY!

I didn't want it to be over.

That feeling of awe and wonder....of wanting it to go on forever has always stuck with me.:)

I feel the same every time I read a new novel (no matter how bad). Or see a new SW movie.;)

And collecting is just a natural extension of that...for me anyway.:)

bigbarada
08-11-2002, 11:19 PM
Well, I was four when ANH came out in 77, but I wouldn't actually watch the movie until 6 years later. My earliest SW memory was getting an Artoo figure in 1978. I had no idea who he was, just that he could transform into a cannon.:) A couple years later, our church donated some Christmas presents to my family (which they frequently did for impoverished families) and my brother and I got all 12 original figures (except Han), the X-WIng, TIE Fighter and Death Star Playset. From that moment I was hooked on this fascinating universe. It was the toys that kept my interest until I finally watched ANH in 1983 (I saw ESB and ROTJ in 1986), and it was the toys that brought me back in 1995. The rest is history.

SuperBattleDroid88
08-11-2002, 11:50 PM
My episode 1 BattleDroid figure got me into Starwars... I saw him in the stores and I had to get him then I had to get Obi-Wan, then Darth Maul and on and on and on!!!!!!! Next thing I knew almost everything about Star Wars!!!!!!!! :eek:
Yep... That's how SuperBattleDroid88 got to become who he is today! :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-12-2002, 12:39 AM
I too have to thank my dad. When I was a wee boy, he shackled me up to the Lazyboy in front of the TV, taped my eyelids so they couldn't close, popped in a VHS of the trilogy. This happened almost every day for about four years.

Seriously, I do have my dad to thank. Which is weird because I don't even mildly consider him a Star Wars fan. I am pretty sure he took me to a theatre showing of ROTJ back when I was three (my earliest memory). I also remember watching ANH on network TV when I was like five or six, also with my dad.

Other than those instances at a young age, my obsession with Star Wars didn't really begin until about late 94' when the first Micro Machine Star Wars stuff came out. I remember how overcome with joy I was during 1997 when Lucas rereleased the trilogy.

Now I won't even go to bed unless I have my Star Wars jammy-jams on. Can't sleep without them!

QLD
08-12-2002, 12:47 AM
Well, my earliest memory is sharing figures with my brother in the late 70's. I was at the shpwing of ANH, but I was only 3, and I don't remember it. I do remember Empire quite vividly. And playign with the toys for years.

scruffziller
08-12-2002, 06:18 AM
I have always been a fan of SW when it first came out. But my best friend's excitement of it is what drove me over the deep end into fanticalism.

Exhaust Port
08-12-2002, 11:58 AM
My dad took me to see SW a couple months after it came out. He wanted to see it and make sure it was something my 3-4 year old mind could handle having never seen a movie before. I was amazed! I was hooked on the Stormtrooper and dressed as one for the next 4 Halloweens.

Being young and not understanding movies I remember being shocked that the characters I thought were so cool were in this new movie call ESB. Then a few years later the same thing happened again with ROTJ. Wow, there they were again. It fueled my imagination even more. After years of imagining new stories for the characters in my room or playing outside I got to watch another story on the big screen with new characters, vehicles and locations. It was and still is very exciting to watch.

Yesterday I went to see AOTC again with my friend but this time we took his 4 year old son. They had been watching the other 4 movies over the last few months for his son's first time. This was his first time watching a new movie in a movie theater for the youngster. It made the whole experience very exciting. I normally can't stand talking during movies but it was fun listening to a 4 year old react to the images on the screen. I can't wait to do the same with my kids someday.

Darth Shifty
08-12-2002, 12:04 PM
I was only a month or so old when my parents went to see ANH when it came out in '77. They were reluctant to take me because the few times they took me to the movies before (and after) Star Wars I cried the whole time so my mom would have to take me out to the lobby to quiet me down. But for Star Wars, I didn't make a sound. I must've known this was not a movie to cry through. :) So, I must credit my parents for getting me into Star Wars.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-12-2002, 12:12 PM
It was like 5 years ago. I went to a friend's party and I saw his vast collection of Star Wars toys. The toys got me hooked.:D

robman71
08-12-2002, 12:31 PM
I was 6 and the original episode of Star Wars was in town. Being from a real small town the local movie theater only had one screen. They showed the movie twice a night for two weeks and I remember standing in a line that literally stretched about 2 blocks. We made it into the second showing and from the time the music started I was hooked. I have been a loyal fan ever since.

Vortex
08-12-2002, 12:32 PM
My parents took me to see ANH and I remember being interested in it for a bit, but my attention span got the best of me and all I wanted to do was go play pinball, so I missed most of the middle part of the movie. My folks went to see it again the next day and left with me family.

Then one day in Target, Woolworths, or some store - my mom bought me luke and vader. My 1st action figures. After that I was a star wars junkie.

I was so sad when I went to Fleet Farm and Target after chirstmas to buy the rest of the power of the force line with christmas and saved up b-day money only to find the pegs cleared and no star wars anywhere. After months on hunting I pretty much packed up the figs and put them away.

I got back into it by stumbling across Heir to the Empire at B. Dalton back in high School, and I'm sure I would have missed out on the new figs if I wouldn't have seen the han solo mail away on a box of fruit loops and small photos of the new line.

But its nice to be back in the star wars universe.

stormie
08-12-2002, 12:33 PM
Peer pressure!

After seeing the trailers on TV in 1977, I have to admit I had no desire to see the movie (it looked too scientific). Fortunately (or unfortunately?) my family moved in early 1978 (to Lucas' home town, coincidentally), and all the new kids there were really into Star Wars. I had no idea what the appeal was, since I hadn't seen the movie, but I more than gladly joined in just to make friends. When the toys got hot, I started asking (whining to) my parents for the figures, and soon had quite a collection. I finally saw Star Wars either in 1978 or 1979, and was finally aware of what I was missing.

Fast-forward to 1996. The new guy in the office next to mine brings in these gaudy orange-carded figures to hang on his wall. I tease him about them, but I'm strangely intrigued enough to visit a TRU and pick up a Stormtrooper. It's ugly, and no where near what I remember a Stormtrooper looking like, but buying it gives me that same feeling I had back in the late '70s searching through Longs Drugstores for the elusive Jawa. I guess the feeling has never left since. ;) Yeah, the movies are good and all, but for me, Star Wars will always be about the toys.

mabudonicus
08-12-2002, 12:37 PM
ANH got me too... I had only seen a couple of films, so that helped, but honestly I'd never seen anything like it.... ESB cemented my relationship..... I thought the whole "force" deal was the heaviest thing I'd ever heard, and being young, I never really thought "this is just a movie", it was real, and it stuck....
It happened around the same time as my parents were trying to get me into church, but they never answered my questions well enough. Yoda answered questions I didn't even know how to ask.... maybe THAT's my problem!!!! Huh!! Whaddya know!!

Bobajames
08-12-2002, 04:15 PM
As soon as i came home from the hospital from being born, my dad sat me in front of the tv and watched ESB, then ROTJ, then ANH. all my dad's fault that i have been obsessed ever since

Jacen Solo
08-12-2002, 05:18 PM
My sister got me into star wars when I was about 7. I had always liked playing with her star wars figures, and one day we sat in frot of the tv and we watched the original trilogy. I've been a star wars fan ever since. I would just like to say thanks Missy, countless hours and dollars devoted to a movie trilogy. I also remeber what I tought to be the worst day of my life at the time, the day my sister told me I couldn't be a jedi because they don't exist.
I got over it though, just as I had when my parents told me ghosts weren't real, and I wanted to be a ghostbuster.

RooJay
08-12-2002, 09:47 PM
The movie.