PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you get your toys at 7 or 8 am in the morning?

Tycho
03-17-2002, 11:25 PM
With the Sneak Preview wave and Bo Shek assortment hitting stores across the US, collectors are reporting all kinds of experiences, some lucky and others not. But one thing a lot of fans have in common is that they are posting in the forums and chat sites their positions on different strategies, experiences, and ethics in collecting. They range from new people just coming into the hobby, to seasoned veterans of the 12-back era. With the issues being brought up right now amounting to some very hot topics, SirStevesGuide brings you part 1 of our polls in the Collector Etiquette Series to see how naughty or nice you think you ought to be when it comes to the big bounty hunt!

With that in mind, our first question is:

Why don't you get your toys at 7 or 8 am in the morning?

Keep in mind, most Wal*Marts, Targets, and Toys R Us stores stock overnight.

Emperor Howdy
03-18-2002, 12:28 AM
Actually, my WalMart in Conyers, Ga. stocks at about 11 p.m.-12 a.m. I search the pallets, and if I see a case, I snag it and open it with my keys. I take one set for me, close the box back up, and return it to the pallet. The same toy dept. lady has been there forever. At first she used to give me hell for doing that, but when she saw that I always re-organize the figs. and return the case, she backed off. Anyway, yes.....mornings are the way to go.

dr_evazan22
03-18-2002, 01:04 AM
Tycho, I haven't voted int his poll b/c I don't see an appropriate category for me.

I get off work at 9a and head over to my local Wal-Mart. They usually have nothing (or nothing new). Lately they have only been stocking the R2-Q5, Bespin Lando wave. The employees I've spoken to have no idea that preview fig's are coming out.

From there I go to TRU. They have a bin of E1 Maul on Speeder Bike and a few POTJ Maul's. Just recently they have been getting in newer fig's (FX wave). I found the AT-ST this past week, but the manger says new (E2) product won't be out until 4/23.

Do all Wal-Mart's and all TRU's get their shipment the same day? What days are they?

jedihunter25
03-18-2002, 01:07 AM
I live down the street from Walmart. I usually check late at night, infact I just got back, they had some pallets with Hasbro boxes on them but usually it takes alnight and sometimes till the middle of the next day for store employees to get to them. I was thinking about opening some but the last time I did that I almost got in to a fist fight with one of the emplyees and band from Walmart so usually I wait till the next day. Some employees are cool about it and some are just flat out #@#holes about it.

Tycho
03-18-2002, 02:17 AM
Dr. Evazan:

Good points. I phrased the "I can't stop on the way to work or school" response to sort of fit the general category of "I have work or school concerns at this hour." But I didn't want to write it the second way, because I intended the response to imply that some people who DO have to GO to work or school at this time, also DO stop by Wal*Mart on the way - thus finding all their figures. I was hinting at a recommendation I hoped someone else would bring up.

This has applied to me for school for the past 7 years I've been collecting, and I'm up and dressed appropriately for work at this hour for most of this past year. Friends in my collecting circle all work or go to college as well. Mornings require a committment to have things ready to roll in the a.m. and head out a little early to hopefully start the day with a happy find, and breakfast and phone conversations with the rest of the collectors in the course of starting a new, great day.

Do I do this, or recommend it for every morning? Not likely!

Watch the Just Found Forum and check for E-bay listings as things come out in Hong Kong and sometimes Europe, first. Typically stuff then starts hitting stores 2 weeks later in the US - starting on the East Coast. However, I've noticed before that when Target gets stuff first, the West Coast has priority.

Anyway, I list what I'm looking for, and how many of each figure. I make sure I know what my friends in my group want. And then I hit the stores when reports in Los Angeles start looking good, as San Diego is typically a day or two later. Sometimes it has taken a week of "no luck days" but with one friend in the North County, an architectural contractor for the U.S. Navy having to be at work very early in the a.m., I get Wal*Mart reports from my buddy who has a store that opens at 6 a.m. - just down the street from him as he's on his way to his job. What his store gets, the rest seem to within a day or so.

Once I had 5 Jango Fetts (well all found in one trip actually), I can sleep an extra hour until something else I want is shipping (uh...now it's the Jedi Starfighter I can just imagine seeing with my red eyes... :rolleyes:

Anyway, Dr. Evazan, I recommend that you vote for the school or work option, as you TRULY cannot leave the job to be in the toy isles and I feel for you. Another friend of mine who is an elementary school teacher leaves work and hits a close Target and K-mart during his break period he has during "home room assembly," so he had no trouble finding the Jedi Starfighter already.

It is a dedication required by the really OBSESSED toy collector to try and nail these things the first week they are released. But I have to be in a suit and tie and attend 2 hour staff meetings early most weeks - I'd rather go with a smirk on my face because nobody there knows I have Zam Wessel tucked safely away in my coat pockit with 10 Clone Troopers in my briefcase. :D

Beast
03-18-2002, 02:50 AM
Well, since I hit the sack usually around 5-6 AM, I have to go with the choice of, "I want to sleep at this time". Yes, I am a horrible night owl, and probably don't get as much sleep as I should. Not to mention, I never hunt stores anymore anyway.

I have a few buddies on-line (can always use more :D) that watch for stuff for me, as well as I can order on-line for about the same amount and save me the trouble and gas for useless toy runs.

Around here is scalperville. I have to compete with one guy that's really bad who always cleans out the hot collectible toys, not to mention 2 comic shops. So even if I did do 7-8 AM toy runs, I would probably find zilch, 9 times out of 10.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Obi-Don
03-18-2002, 03:54 AM
I work nights so when I get home its getting the wife and kid off and to bed. Around here it is a hit or miss when finding new stuff. There are a lot of collectors around here and I'm sure you just have to hit at the right time. I also think that some of the workers at Wal-Mart are putting back the new stuff which sucks big time. Lucky for me one of my friends runs the KB Toys in town which helps me a lot. He lets me know when things should hit the stores and when he can will help me get what I want.

jdmarlow
03-18-2002, 06:13 AM
Tycho,

I choose "I can't stop on the way to work or school", however that is only one factor. I wanted to choose all of the bottom three choices all at once. I don't know when to get what I need from my local TRU. I live in NYC so there is a tremendous amount of scalping and competition. Mostly from non-collectors. Just people who hear about things and want to get their hands on them. The new 42nd Street TIMES SQUARE store opened in November and I bet they have something but I don't have the time to make it over there three times a week at 8 AM. I have school to attend to. I am on spring break now, so I might make it over there a few times. But whenever I see an opportunity to go I am bogged-down by the fact that I probably will come home empty handed anyway. Is it really worth my while to go in a city where the night crews take everything before they hit the shelves?

-JD

Quite-Gone Jim
03-18-2002, 07:09 AM
In Wisconsin, most stores that carry Star Wars Figures don't open until 8 - 9 am. And lately the figures seem to turn up about a month (or longer) after everyone else is getting them. Plus, I don't know the last time I saw a new fig at TRU. They just started stocking the Luke X-Wing wave.

The best time around here seems to be Lunch time on Friday's, because Target and Wal-mart both stock the toy aisles on Friday mornings to prepare for weekend shopping.

Still most of my collecting comes from on-line retailers. The prices are about the same, but I don't have to waste my lunch running around.

rdrunr89
03-18-2002, 07:43 AM
I've actually got to the point that I don't care if I find them in the stores. The new AT-ST is out, and our Toys R Us still doesn't have it and they claim not to have a clue when it comes in.

I actually use a couple of SirSteve's Sponsors (Planetactionfigure, Toymaniacs) to get the newer stuff. Mostly Planetactionfigure. I have never had a problem with them and everything I've ordered has been in perfect condition.

For informations sake, I'm in the west burbs of Chicago, so you would think we should be getting a lot more than some small town (about 130,000 people where I live).

I was at my TRU recently, and they have Shmi, Bespin Security Guard and a couple others still on the peg hooks. They recently got the 25th Anniversary sets in. And I can still find Ep I items on the hooks along with the Leia (General) and Qui-Gon (Mos Espa Disguise). Wal-Mart is a whole other story and I'll spare everyone since you are probably all asleep by now. :D

OC47150
03-18-2002, 07:51 AM
I do have considerable luck on Saturdays by finding figures before 8 a.m. It's part of my Saturday morning routine to visit Wal Mart early, and, if stuff is showing up in other areas with some consistency, I will stop in before work. I try to stop on Thursday nights, too.

Other than the Ep. 2 sneak preview figures, I haven't found the last two waves (excluding Eeth Koth and Snaggletooth) at all. Very frustrating.

Tesseks_Uncle
03-18-2002, 08:28 AM
I use to rise early and try to beat the scalpers to get figures in the suburbs near Chicago. Now I just look for good prices on the figures on-line. It is less of a hassle and saves time and gas money. The TRUs, Walmarts and Targets around Chicago are sporatic in when they stock, and a lot of the figures are moved out the back door to scalpers. Best of all, I get to have my ZZZZZZZs.

Jedi Indy
03-18-2002, 08:33 AM
I've come to the conclusion that my area, Detroit-Michigan, must be at the absolute end of the shipping line for stores getting items from there warehouses and distributors. Most new stuff (Star Wars, Simpsons) won't show up on shelves around here for 4 to 6 weeks after it has shown up elsewhere. I see someone in another post mentioned the same thing about Wisconson. Another problem is the TRU's around me area massively overstocked with pegwarmers from 3 or 4 waves ago back, so I doubt they are ordering new stock, or not putting it out if they do get it.

InsaneJediGirl
03-18-2002, 09:05 AM
The reason I cant shop at 7-8 am is because of school.Now,I
can do this on weekends,which I have,but there is nothing new.
Oh sure,maybe one or two new figures will come in once a week,but they are normally army builders like Sandtroopers.

When I go to TRU,instead of WM,they act like they have never
ever heard of Starwars."Starwars?Look in action figures" is normally the answer I recive.

There is not a huge scapler market in North Central Florida,so
I dont know what is going on.Could be lack of ordering on the
stores part or employees that snag the new stuff.

JetsAndHeels
03-18-2002, 09:32 AM
I have to be at work at 8am, and I work an hr away from home, so there isnt much time in the morning during the week for me.
However on the weekend it is a different story. I have no problem working on only 4-5 hrs sleep and getting to the stores early. In fact that is what I did this past weekend, looking for that Jedi Starfighter (with no success I might add).
Other than that on the weekends, my toy runs are usually done after work or late at night when my Wal Mart stocks the shelves.
Either way sleep isnt a big priority.

OC47150
03-18-2002, 09:36 AM
One of the bigger volume Wal Marts in my area shifted their stocking time to later in the day because workers from the Ford plant across the street were cleaning SW and Hot Wheels out after they got off second-shift.

There are eight Targets in my area. The two closest to me have the suckiest SW selection. I have to drive 20 minutes to the next store to find a better selection. I found the Ep. 2 preview figures at one of the other stores on Saturday.

dr_evazan22
03-18-2002, 09:44 AM
Well, I stopped at the W-M on the way home again this a.m. and found the Bo Shek wave, so I voted that I that I do alright.

I picked up a few extra of the wave and am willing to sell (at fair prices)or trade (I need preview fig's). So if you want a set (Bo Shek, Teebo, and R4-M9) for $23 to cover the fig's and shipping, email me at dr_evazan22@msn.com

First come first served.

On another note, it seems like everyone lives in an area that gets new merchandise later than most. Maybe we just all happen to live in the wrong area's....

DahrJin
03-18-2002, 10:02 AM
I have a hard time hitting the stores at that time, because I'm already at work by then. I do, when possible, hit the stores just after 9 am and befor noon. I seem to find more at this time, because everyone else is at work and not quite ready to go to lunch.:crazed:

Tycho
03-18-2002, 10:26 AM
Glad the mornings worked for you Dr. Evazan.

To those looking towards Toys R Us for their figures: they are typically months behind. The Shmi Skywalker wave was out last summer! I think Toys R Us is just getting in the quantities Wal*Mart had in August!

Wal*Mart and Target are usually better for hunting.

To those trying the mornings for the first time because of this poll (and yeah, it was written as a suggestion to help people), shop now. Try for a week or so before you give up. I bet you'll come home with something if you make it there in the mornings before the store opens.

Those suggesting weekends were best for Wal*Mart and Target are on to something.

Target seems to stock for their weekends before Friday morning. That means their product is either all bought by Friday afternoon, or at least by Saturday afternoon. They do get some stuff over the weekend that could go out by Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Midweek, it's less worth your while to make the trip.

Wal*Mart is a little more unpredictable, but generally follows this pattern.

Meanwhile, to those ordering Online - try Yestertoys.com if you want to use one of SirSteve's Sponsors. They are the only ones I know of that charge $7.00 for a new figure! (non-mint) and $8 for a mint one. I think they add 25 cents for the preview figures' prices, but they ship fast and the total charge on most of my orders from them (and I have ordered from them 4 times now) has been equal to the price I'd pay at retail. Less sometimes if you count gas money and "no luck trips."

I did not offer "buying online" as a poll choice because the question is "why don't you buy them at 7 or 8 am [at retail]"

Among 3 other polls I plan on this series, we will discuss buying online, "hoarding new action figures," the scalper situation, and who is army building. I think since people can vote anonymously, it can encourage honest voting, and those who want to defend their purchasing habits will also have the chance to do so.

I use a combination of buying online from Yestertoys, to shopping at 7 and 8 am. I only recently hit the stores because I am in a collecting circle and got tipped off that stuff was shipping. There is an appeal to having it in your hands when you purchase it. Before that, all of our collecting group was buying online from each of their favorite vendors.

OC47150
03-18-2002, 10:34 AM
Great topics for future polls, Tycho.

Even with its financial situation and unseen future, I've had good luck with Kmart. I was lucky enough to find one of the deluxe Leia's for $10.

stillakid
03-18-2002, 10:37 AM
I used to hunt semi-vigorously for figures in stores, but have since opted to get them online. For a brief period, I tried that whole thing of being at Target at 8 am, but honestly, I felt very self-conscious being there with a whole bunch of middle-aged men (mostly) who sort of speed-walked back to the toy section. Half of them split off to attack the Matchbox cars and the other guys hit the Star Wars stuff. Frankly, I'm not interested in being that much of a Star Wars geek that I need to race through a store to fight over toys. Not to put anyone down, but being a "store opening regular" seems a little pathetic to me...at least for me.

OC47150
03-18-2002, 10:58 AM
In my area, the number of collectors who stand outside a store at opening has tremendously dropped. Only the true die-hard collectors and scalpers are out at the crack of dawn, and I think I can count them on one hand!

I use those fellow collectors I run into as sources of information -- where'd you see this, how long ago and how much? Sometime it's good info, sometimes not. I found the sneak preview figures even after a guy told me they were all gone from the area.

Tycho
03-18-2002, 11:20 AM
LOL Kid - at those guys who are middle-aged men that run through the toy isles!

I know!

I'm in my 20's and yes I realize how pathetic it is to be there with that bunch, but hey...if you want the toys at retail...

the moral of this poll is "the early bird gets the worm."

I have a life and have better things to do than go to the store every morning, but when it ships and I don't have it yet...

Anyway, those guys are there for several reasons:

1) They are HotWheels collectors and those cars ship very irregularly if not constantly, plus include one-per-case "Treasure Hunts" those guys are always trying to find.

I don't understand the HotWheels fad, but it is longstanding and those collectors cite reasons that their toys are only pocket change versus ours that run from $7 on up.

2) Those guys ARE scalpers, and they go every day because 5 Jangos aren't enough. They have to have ALL the Jangos so they can "control the market on them."

That is why I don't want them touching "my Star Wars figures" and also why I'll buy all the Jangos I want at the same time. No telling where the ones I left behind ended up. But I only take what I can use.

I don't buy for trade bait either. I only shop for others when I know it is on their list. Plus I deal with 6 other local collectors who are all my friends and "deals" are for exact cash with receipts turned over. A rare variation might make me reconsider trading for that one occasion, but there's little I need. [carded or loose but complete Dark Empire Leia anyone?]

CaptainSolo1138
03-18-2002, 11:23 AM
Since I work at Target, I get my stuff when I go into work!:) Contrary to popular belief, we shop off the same shelves you do. I wish I could grab the Lando I need from the back. Damn job morals!

KENNY GUIDO
03-18-2002, 11:38 AM
im an 8:30-5er. i drop my wife off at 7am, run to WAL-MART then go to TARGET to wait till they open at 8. X-mas time comes, we have a choice of TOYRS R US & TARGET for new stuff.

KENNY GUIDO
03-18-2002, 11:42 AM
now, my friend works at WALMART and he calls me at all hours of the night to tell me what came in. I got the cool sneak preview figures for $5.76 each because they didnt come up in the computer yet so he faked a price!

CaptainSolo1138
03-18-2002, 11:59 AM
It's not my business, but that's kinda dirty. But on the other hand, if it were an end- table i probably wouldn't care. That's more his problem than yours. He's the kind of person that gives retail workers (myself included) bad names.

plo koon 200
03-18-2002, 02:51 PM
Well, I voetd for other. I live in Fort Wayne Indiana and surprisingly we are one of the first cities to get the new toys. Targets usually stockas here on Wednesdays at 11am-1pm. WIth Targets I have been able to find the Y-wing adn everythiung but lately the haven't got any new cases. Wal-Mart has every new fig and they had the Sneak Peek figures for three days and they just got the R4-M9 wave but that sold out in one day because each store is only getting one case. Luckily I snagged a BoShek and Teebo. Unfortuantely an eight year old got away with the R4-M9 that I wanted the most from this wave. Oh well.

OC47150
03-18-2002, 03:07 PM
Plo Koon, you didn't use the Force to persuade the little punk to hand over the droid?

Pendo
03-18-2002, 03:20 PM
Why is it that every time I try to vote in a poll it always says:

You have already voted on this poll

It's just so annoying!!!!

The same happens on the polls in TFN (http://www.theforce.net).

PENDO!

P.S. And before anyone makes any sarcastic comments NO I haven't already voted in the poll!

Pendo
03-18-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
Why is it that every time I try to vote in a poll it always says:
You have already voted in this poll.

It's just so annoying!!!!

The same happens on the polls in TFN (http://www.theforce.net).

PENDO!

P.S. And before anyone makes any sarcastic comments NO I haven't already voted in the poll!

And I've just realised why!...

...I'm tired and i want to go to bed!!!

PENDO!

brentfett
03-18-2002, 03:36 PM
I chose "I want to sleep at this time" because I believe if you have to hit stores at 7 AM to find anything good then there IS a very big problem with distribution. Scalpers/Hoarders don't help at all either!

SithDroid
03-18-2002, 04:28 PM
I don't get mine that early because 1/2 the stores in my area are lazy and put stuff out throughout the day so I never know which time is the best to go in there. A prime example is TRU. I don't know how many times I have gone in there and they have been putting stuff out on the shelves at 4 pm. Since they can never do things a certain way, it makes it hard to get the things I want because I never know when to check. Also, I get tired of checking at a store day after day and them not having anything, so I only go about once or twice a week nowadays instead of once a day.

jedi_mindtricks_yoda
03-18-2002, 05:13 PM
I ahve been pretty lucky in Springfield, MO. They are changing a Wal-Mart into another Super Center ( already have 3 and 1 regular ) and they have been putting things out like crazy. The last two waves have been at clearance prices ( $4.00 ) and the previews figures are out here also and in our local Target. Our Toys r us and kaybees are to picked over by employes and if need a exclusive from they I usually have to go to Kansas City or St Louis. I hope everyone can find the figures they want and good luck. Don't lose any sleep just remember, all the R2-D2 with leia cases that showed up for $1.97 these figures will show up again.:Pirate:

rogue_12
03-18-2002, 07:59 PM
I live in Fort Wayne, IN and I manage a large surf and skateboarding clothing company store, so I tend to sleep in too late to get to my target even though it is right behind the mall. Toys r us has been great to me though because of the great girl named Dawn there. She looks up sku's and things like that for me. Today they had another case of excl. at-st's and the zutton wave again. Wal-mart has been pretty good also, but the toy dept. manager is a real pain in the rear! She informed me that she WILL NOT LET PEOPLE KNOW AVAILABILITY AND WILL NOT HOLD FIGURES! which for Wal-Mart's NO-customer service policy made me laugh. I buy toys for pleasure...not like that and not for scalping. I am always willing to get stuff for people at the store cost and tax oh yeah and the cost of priority amil shipping! I just want people who have to deal with scalpers to get what they need. So if you want something do not be afraid to ask!
rogue_12
email me if you want at rogue_12@prodigy.net
I will be at the celebration since I am from Indy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jedi represent

Grayhank
03-18-2002, 09:27 PM
I checked off the "other" category. I used to get most of my Star Wars stuff at opening but now wait until early-mid afternoon. I have realized that Target, Wal-Mart and TRU are all very aware that there are collectors waiting outside and they now stock their shelves after the "collector rush". Since most of the collectors are running around between 8:00-10:00 in the morning the stores wait to stock till around noon. By that time most of the guys have gone home. I found the Sneak preview figures at both of my local Targets today at about 12:30 p.m. including Jango Fett.

Rogue II
03-18-2002, 09:47 PM
I used to go to Walmart and/or Target on the way to work and school, but since the number of figures has slowed down over the past couple years, I don't really rush out to get them. Lately, I haven't been searching the stores as much because some websites are starting to offer lower prices.

I still go to stores on weekends, sometimes I get lucky. I got FX-7 and Snaggletooth from a nearby Walmart a couple weeks ago. On Friday afternoon, I found Rebel Trooper (with his small weapon) and the Imperial officer at a Target.

I did order the Teebo wave and 2 deluxe figs from the internet.

billfremore
03-19-2002, 03:46 PM
I voted for work or school.

Hey, gotta have some way to pay for all of this stuff. :)

Deoxyribonucleic
03-20-2002, 12:24 PM
I picked the "Other" category because what happens to me is that I actually do go to stores early and they just don't have anything.

The newest stuff here is Fx7, Eeth Koth and Zutton of course with no Imp officers and Reb troops. Mostly lots of landos and jar jars. I think they are waiting for people to buy those before they put new stuff out because there is certainly ALOT of them. And to top it all off, a Target near my house still had their Amanaman and Leia deluxe on the shelf for $15.99. And there are ALOT of those too!

I just remember the good ol' days when you could get any of the vintage figures...there was never a problem finding any particular figure or vehicle. When they came out, they were on the pegs and on the shelf. Simple as that!

Tycho
03-20-2002, 12:59 PM
Well, those Imperial Officers and Rebel Troopers went SomeWhere? I doubt they are in the back room in an Open case.

They are stocking at some point, and either a scalper or someone building up their armies is getting them. It could be an employee, or you might not be hitting the racks when these cases are freshly stocked. You're the only one who can truly find out, as everyone's store and everyone's situation can vary quite a bit.

But we're going to take a look at the "ethics" of army building in another poll and see what everyone does with that.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
But we're going to take a look at the "ethics" of army building in another poll and see what everyone does with that.

That sounds like a great one. Can't wait for that!!! This figure "ethics" poll is a great idea Tycho!

I've taken many an ethics class for my profession but none for figure collecting LOL it'll be interesting to see how people answer and what they have to say!

YoungGeorgeLucas
03-20-2002, 09:26 PM
STAR WARS
I buy most of my Hasbro STAR WARS stuff from New Force Comics. They are the best of the best as far as buying on the 'net. Their prices for figures (by the case) are cheaper than what you'll find at Wally World- and I've never had a problem dealing with them. They also double box when shipping, so your figures arrive "minty fresh"- and you know that's far better than getting figures from a store that have been mangled by drooling kids.
On occasion, I do seek out figures at my local (Kansas City area) Wal-Marts. I usually always score when I check them out about 10 o'clock P.M.- when they've just pulled pallets onto the floor. A couple weeks ago I found four cases of "Sneak Preview" figures that were just brought to the sales floor.:D
On a side note, I was impressed by the quality of these new figures- Jango is cool, but I think that Zam Wesell was the best of the four. I was a little disappointed by the Clone Trooper- compare it to the CommTech Stormtrooper...
This is all nitpicky stuff- but I must say the figures being released on April 23 look even better than the "Sneak Preview" stuff.

Lord Tenebrous
03-20-2002, 10:04 PM
The Walmart near my college is great at getting the latest waves, so I stop after school, usually as a reward for doing well on tests. I do well on my Micro quiz tomorrow, I might pick up another R4 or Shek for customizing.

Luckily, I don't really care about retail availability in the fall when I transfer, because I'd probably get AOTC figures as punishment. :p

LusiferSam
03-23-2002, 02:01 PM
I don't have time in the morning to try and go to Wal-Mart or Target on the days I work. And on my days off I want to sleep in a little. Besides Montana is like the outer rime of US collecting. Scalpers aren't a hugh problem were I live. Biggest problem I have is the stores and consumers that have lost interest in the produce, hence making it harder to find.

OC47150
03-25-2002, 07:37 AM
Checking the stores paid off this past Saturday for me. I found an Imperial officer at Wal Mart! First time I'd seen him in the stores.

aikman
04-08-2002, 02:22 PM
why dont i buy them at 7-8 am?
Because i have a life.
I love star wars figs , but lets get real here .
Im not about to wait in line before a store opens to buy figs (its not like they are gold plated or something)
if i dont get one or two figs im not going to die.
you can get them online if you REALLY want them but , who wants to pay over 10 bucks for a figure(with or without shipping)?

Tycho
04-08-2002, 07:44 PM
That's why I'd rather leave for work early, and wait in that line before the store opens (there's usually only about 11 people - most of them interested in Hot Wheels first, anyway).

I have to be out and commuting at that time, might as well start the day off with something I want (at a fair retail price) while I'm out earning the money to pay for it.

Wolfwood319
04-08-2002, 07:57 PM
I hit the Wal-Mart on my way to school almost everyday in the morning, and I still consider myself to have a life. I take 15 extra minutes to go to Wal-Mart and check for figures. Its 15 minutes out of a 24 hour day.

If I miss one or two figures, I don't lose any sleep over it.

aikman
04-09-2002, 10:26 AM
I hope im not coming across like a jerk here but
you go everyday?
I mean once or twice a week is good for me.
My stores in NJ dont stock that much I guess, certainly not enough to 'show up there for work' every morning ;)

Tycho
04-09-2002, 10:33 AM
I don't. I check the Just Found USA forum here, and with a few other sites.

Once I get store reports of things being found, I start to go every day until I have as much of the new stuff that I want. It's on my way to work, so it;s no big deal. (also I often work from home, and it's not too difficult because then I can go back to sleep for about an hour after I get back home before I have phone conferences, etc.)

I have not gone to any of the stores for about a week now. I already have the TIE Bomber, and probably all the E2 figures and vehicles I am going to get before April 23.

Starting about then, and until I have all the Geonosians I want (probably the highest count of any figure I'm collecting from E2's initial offerings) I will go every day - to Wal*Mart, Target, and TRU (if work permits).

Tycho
04-26-2002, 11:10 PM
I did get my 15 Geonosians with no problem, leaving plenty behind (at Midnight Madness).

But only at 7 am at Wal*Mart was I able to acquire 4 Yodas (which all sold out at that time - myself sharing 1 with a mother who had a shopping list).

I also got 5 Count Dookus at 7 am, and shared 2 at that Wal*Mart. At another Wal*Mart that opened at 8 am, I got 2 more Dooku's and shared another with a dude who was a collector (my age) and specifically looking for him. Yoda was available there too, but I didn't want any more than 4 of that sculpt of him. (Too late I think I changed my mind to say I could use 1 more....)

Anakin Hanger Duel was around a'plenty at this time. I got 11 myself, and there were a lot on the racks. But at the 8 am store, he was more popular than what I'd seen of a response to Anakin during the earlier shopping.

aikman
04-29-2002, 08:36 AM
Maybe a dumb question , but why are you buying
4 Yodas
7 Count Dookus
10 Anakin Hanger Duels
Whats the point ?
How much is too much?
the 15 Geonosians are at least army builders, although that still seems greedy to me

Tycho
04-29-2002, 12:28 PM
For scenes. See the other collector etiquette polls for descriptions.

Basically, Count Dooku and Yoda DO more than 1 thing in the movie. Therefore I need many representations of their character to interact with all the other characters.

Anakin and Obi-Wan are the stars of the movie, so by far they are the highest count: nearly 30 figures of each of them.

However, paying careful attention to the trailer and the comic's pictures, they are dressed differently in different scenes, so I need an Obi-Wan that's molded with his cloak and sort of wet looking for about 7 scenes, etc. I bought as many Coruscant Chase figures as I think that figure could cover for the young Jedi Master's E2 scenes. I think that was only about 8 or 9 figures in Obi-Wan's case. 11 in Hanger Duel Anakin's case. Now I'll need Anakin "not-angry" and with a molded Jedi Robe on him, plus one that can ride a swoop bike.

The distinction between myself and you Aikman, is that you are a Collector. I am a Diorama-Builder. By the very nature of what I do, I am of course an Army-Builder, and I also end up "collecting" virtually every figure. But there are exceptions, and I purposely do NOT buy certain figures that I cannot use. The new Han and Chewbacca that are coming out this summer, plus that Qui-Gon, I have no use for. Darth and Luke are appealing, but I want to see them personally before I make the call in their case. Right now I'll pass on buying them if they aren't "THAT cool." Instead I could use 3 each of the upcoming Mace and Jango - mostly for the same scenes, but I'm going to use a variety of the figures of them to illustrate a step-by-step progression of their life-and-death struggle.

Links to some of my diorama pictures (from Classic Star Wars) have been posted in some of the collector etiquette polls. If I don't get to adding them to this post, please check the last posts I made in a couple other collecting habit question polls. You'll see the 5 foot long Blockade Runner I built which would have been silly not to fill with like 8 Rebel Fleet Troopers, and 15 Stormtroopers etc. What would be the point of having only 1 of each of them? Like I said, I'm not exactly a "collector." But I'm every bit of enthusiastic about Star Wars as any of the rest of you who come here!

aikman
04-29-2002, 12:34 PM
Hope im not sounding too critical ....

Dioramas are cool, but how necessary is it to have 30 kenobis?

30 kenobis * 5.99 =$180, just for kenobi, ouch
Cant you just move a few around between them?

How many dioramas do you have? How much space do they take up?

Rogue II
04-29-2002, 01:06 PM
Aikman,

You should check out the other forums as Tycho suggested. He posted some pictures and you can see his AWESOME collection of dioramas.

And if he has the cash to spend on his hobby, more power to him.

After seeing those pics, you'll understand.

aikman
04-29-2002, 01:20 PM
got a link?
i looked and cant find any

Rogue II
04-29-2002, 02:19 PM
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5578&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

This was one of them. I think he posted more on another thread somewhere also.

Tycho
04-29-2002, 02:21 PM
Here's some of my Classic Dioramas (http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=sscollections2.setup&category=starwars&topic=11&search_and_display_db_button=yes)

Use the menus on the left to view different images.

Here's my Rebel Blockade Runner (http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=sscollections2.setup&category=starwars&topic=32&search_and_display_db_button=yes)

Use the menus on the left again, but make sure you see the later pics showing the interior of the ship and all the figures aboard.

Since these shots were taken, I've added troops, TC-14 as U-3PO (same difference), and R4M9. Hopefully a Capatain Antilles figure will be made so I can complete this set!

Meanwhile, once I make these, they are kind of permanent. I don't want to knock stuff over removing Luke in these cases, or Obi-Wan in stuff I will do for Episode 2 (to answer your question).

And no, I won't buy 30 of the SAME Obi-Wan figure. I'll wait for useful resculpts, as I now expect a ton of them coming - and some WILL be quite useful.

I have maybe 81 Classic Dioramas, and I purchased quantities to do very specific scenes from Episode One and prequel EU that will amount to 86 more scenes.

I have 61 scenes planned for Episode 2.

If I get the interest and the time, I could list the Classic or E1 / EU scenes, but the Episode 2 ones would be spoilers as they basically give away the whole movie, scene by scene. That's the idea though: tell the story with the toys.

I only have room for the Classic Scenes in my 2 bdrm / 2 bth apartment and will buy a very large home one day, because I'll need to use every section of it to house my collection and tell the epic with toys. That is just one aspect of my life - so don't take it that I'm only all about that. I live a very fulfilled life and constantly try to make it better in all areas.

However, in terms of Star Wars collecting, whether I'm insane or not - I do this because almost Nobody Else Does!

If it were common and ordinary, it would be boring. But if you want to see somebody better, try NiubNiub's Universe. This guy is a professional movie effects guy. Also ACPin on our site seems to have considerable more time to put into his scenes, or must take some of his down to make room for newer ones.

I don't have the time, and I'm quite happy with my Classic Ones. I don't want to move them one inch! Meanwhile, I look forward to one day being able to build Otah Gunga and try and create the illusion of being underwater for a massive scene on that scale!

But you get the idea.

aikman
04-29-2002, 02:24 PM
That stuff is cool,

nuib is the man