PDA

View Full Version : AICN Has Episode II Review! (Major Spoilers!)

SWAFMAN
03-17-2002, 10:12 PM
EXCLUSIVE DEVELOPING TONIGHT: 'STAR WARS' SECURITY BREACH CONCERNS HOLLYWOOD... (http://www.drudgereport.com/)

Drudge just said on his radio show that someone who has seen a finished, or mostly finished cut of the new EP2 film is about to release a review, and Lucas. et al, are absolutely Furious! Stay tuned...

SWAFMAN
03-17-2002, 10:21 PM
This guy, Harry Knowles, is on Drudge radio show now discussing the film - listen live here:
Drudge radio live (http://www.newsradio610.com/jacor-common/streaming_disclaimer.html)

click on "listen live"

SWAFMAN
03-17-2002, 10:56 PM
I was doing a couple other things at the same time, but here are some quotes/paraphrases from the interview...

"lucas has listened to the criticism of the last film"
"cuts jarjar to about 2&1/2 minutes"
"everything about what Yoda warns luke about, about the dark side's influence, is seen in Anakin in this film"
"Hayden Christensen plays Anakin absolutlely correct."
"Hayden plays Anakin 'whiney', like Luke was in the 1st movie"

speaking about the visual effects: "the film is absolutely, 100% beautiful"

Lord Tenebrous
03-17-2002, 11:43 PM
And again, Harry says nothing that hasn't previously been spoiled for us. Not even a single new line or obscure scene.

And I don't think anybody would risk the wrath of Lucasfilm just to give somebody like Harry an early glimpse.

2-1B
03-18-2002, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the tips Swafman :) Earlier I tried to listen but had problems obtaining the audio. I did check the Drudge site later, and they removed the "breaking news" headline.

I'm not opposed to cutting back on Jar Jar, but 2 & 1/2 minutes seems a bit TOO slim . . . I guess less is more in this case :)

Beast
03-18-2002, 04:14 AM
Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News, has his review of the rough cut of Episode II he saw up over at his site now, and it is great. I am gonna repost the full review here, since rumors are flying that Lucasfilm is quite upset with the review being posted. :D

STAR WARS EPISODE TWO: ATTACK OF THE CLONES (early cut review)

I saw Star Wars Episode Two: Attack of the Clones hours ago. The ‘how’ of that will be a thing of mystery buried in a passed piece of paper from my book signing with a hotel, a room number and a time listed upon it. You don’t want to know about that room or the person(s) in that room, you want to know about Episode Two.

Jar Jar Binks. Jar Jar has a 15 second StepInFetchIt shuffle speak routine he does as he goes to first let Obi Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker into the Amidala’s quarters that is so offensively awful, that it will not only make you recoil in horror, but it will remind you of all of the worst aspects of his character from THE PHANTOM MENACE. I wanted to burn the film, destroy, maim and murder it at this stage. I was steeling myself from the impending incompetence, the horror of my childhood being molested. I was prepared to have a very bad time.

I found myself not liking Anakin Skywalker at all, he’s a punk spoiled brat… A snotty nosed ego trip, that angry evil high school football quarterback that wants the head cheerleader. He whines like a Mark Hamill squealing about going to Toshi Station to get some power converters. There is much anger in him. He’s impulsive, conflicted, out of control and a mass murderer. Everytime I saw him and Natalie Portman together, I wanted to tell her to run, fly you fool. But am I not supposed to feel that way?

So did George Lucas drop the ball? Did he rape our childhood? Has he turned into nothing more than flannel wearing toy salesman without a soul or an eye for storytelling anymore? Was I disappointed to such a state that I wanted to yell and scream and break my original 12 inch Boba Fett and defecate upon it in a ritualistic purging of all that was once sacred to my childhood?

To answer all of those questions…. THANK GOD NO!!! Lucas succeeds with the film beyond my wildest dreams.

I was scared and thrilled to be watching Episode 2. The entire time I was in that hotel room, I was convinced that agents of Lucasfilm were going to knock down the doors and I knew I was being set up for a fall. I mean, it isn’t possible to see STAR WARS early. I know that, but there I was watching it. Listening to the sounds of drunk SXSW revelers falling into the door outside.

After about 20 minutes of that awareness everything but the film ceased to exist. The lights in the room dimmed in my mind. The person(s) in the room shrank like Scott Carey into the microverse. Everything about me was concentrating upon the film. The movie was not complete. There were moments where the effects were quite rough, but the work that was finished, was beyond reproach.

How do I explain the success of ATTACK OF THE CLONES? First, I must say that this film makes THE PHANTOM MENACE a better film. In fact, I would have to say that not only does it do that, but suddenly you will realize with horror, exactly why Jar Jar Binks is in the series at all. Upon first viewing, in less than ideal circumstances, I must say that I feel that this is by far the most entertaining Star Wars film to date. It may not have that innocent sense of wonder for the first film. It doesn’t have that sense of intimacy that EMPIRE STRIKES BACK had, or that film’s desperation. However, it also doesn’t have the trivial frivolity of JEDI or MENACE. ATTACK OF THE CLONES is a turning point in the saga. The point of no return.

I love this film desperately. I want to continually watch it for about a week with my best friends. I want to see it digitally projected with sternum shaking sound. I want to watch as friends discover the twists that Palpatine/Sidious/Dooku have in store for us. I want to have the conversations about what this all means, the speculative conversations about how these elements will play out in the final chapter of the prequels.

What is great about the film?

Obi Wan Kenobi / Ewan McGregor. He just owns the role now. There is a moment in the Cantina/Sports Bar on the surface level of Coruscant, where he and Anakin have chased an assassin. As they enter this packed sci-yuppie-scum club, they realize they can’t seem to be able to see ‘the assassin’ anymore. Anakin wants to rush in, tear the place apart looking for the suspect. Obi Wan tells him to slow down or something then turns to head in a different direction, Anakin asks him, "Where you going?" to which Kenobi dryly responds, "To get something to drink." Kenobi is just that calm about things. He is the king of cool. He’ll get his suspect, but he’s going to get a drink first. Priorities. I was reminded of him telling Luke to let go and to trust his feelings. He doesn’t repeat that here, he simply lets go and trusts his feelings. We see it as an action, a path he chose. Then when he gets to that bar, leaning on it, sipping that odd drink, a drug dealer comes up to him and asks, "Wanna buy some deathsticks?" Obi Wan responds, "You don’t want to sell me death sticks." Drug dealer says, "I don’t want to sell you death sticks." "You want to go home and rethink your direction in life," Kenobi continues. "I want to go home and rethink my direction in life," the dealer says as he blankly turns and walks out of the club. Before he can get too smug about his little trick he senses the assassin behind him and he pulls the patented Obi Wan pivoting light saber at a bar strike that you’ve seen in the trailer. He gets his suspect and he’s never broke a sweat. He is the master. Kenobi is just plainly cool in the film. Watch how he handles things on Camino or the way he doesn’t betray a single thought in his conversation with Jango Fett there. He knows his game, his methods and his ways. He is confident and completely on the clock. Ewan is relaxed in the role, clearly having fun and is very very very good in the film. Contrary to Moriarty’s assertion that he would be more ‘Han Solo’ he is in fact much more Master Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun Fat from CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON) but without the romance.

Jango Fett – Boba Fett / Temuera Morrison – Daniel Logan -- I love this pair. I love them because they are the renegade Father and Son. They have their own set of rules, they are a self contained functioning unit. Jango wanted a son to raise his own way, that doesn’t mean he beats him and does evil things. He loves his kid. He’s training him to be a good Bounty Hunter like he is. There is very much a father/son – Master/Apprentice style thing going on here. And they have my favorite moment of the entire film, which is a tiny little moment between these two. Jango and Boba are headed to Genosia when they pick up that Kenobi is tailing them. They dive into the asteroid belt surrounding Genosia, Obi Wan trails behind them, not being lost. Jango tells Boba something like, "Prepare the sonic mines, we’ll give him…" something, I couldn’t make out… but Boba presses some buttons while doing what I can only describe as an evil giggle… a delighted giggle. Jango looks at him smiling, as if to say… "That’s my boy!" The moment is so honest and real. I’ve never seen a father – son moment like this in science fiction. Completely classic.

Anakin Skywalker - Padme Amidala / Hayden Christensen – Natalie Portman -- First Anakin is just an *** in this film. Like I said earlier, I can’t stand him. He’s like that boy in the TWILIGHT ZONE movie that has too much power and thinks about using it too much, but sometimes it goes terribly astray. Portman’s Padme in this film has mostly dropped the ‘high speak’ that she had from the first film…. Injecting into her character far more vocal variety than the droll monotone of the first film that killed the performance. Here she infuses the character with more of herself, which is a very good thing. I like that she doesn’t want to have anything to do with Anakin. That she constantly is aware of all the reasons they shouldn’t be together. Of the scandal. Of their careers. Anakin hates being told no. She can see all the reasons, but when they go through what they go through… When the emotional binding takes place between these characters through a brief adventure, a loss of a loved one, a decent into hell… When faced with certain doom, they realize that life is too short to worry about the ifs and buts… And when it happens… John Williams’ love theme kicks in. This really kicks in just as Anakin and Padme kiss before being taken out and strung up in the arena (you know the sequence when they are chained against the pillars.) It actually starts from the shot (which we see in the trailer - of the arena with all the Geonosis creatures seated and cheering - the long shot looking from high to low). It consists of maybe three instruments playing at first, classic violin, very sorrowful and warm. It almost sounds a little bit like the theme for the Incredible Hulk TV series with Lou Ferrigno. The intros are similar before other instruments join in. It also reminded me of Francis Lai’s theme from Arthur Hiller’s LOVE STORY. Although it is strikingly different from other parts in the film, IT FITS IN BEAUTIFULLY. Elegant but not soppy. Gentle but not melodramatic. Williams thinking differently (after all, a very different relationship from Han and Leia!) and succeeding. It starts to crescendo as the lovers are wheeled out into the arena (reminded me of the shot of Luke with the twin suns) - same type of crescendo. It continues through the cuts between Obi-Wan chained and them being taken over to the same place but changes into a military drum style (you know, the thumping dictatorship heavy beat - almost like the 'sacrifice has arrived'). This changes the whole tone as we realize their 'moment' has been intruded and they are in serious poodoo. The romance is handled in terms of familiarity and proximity. This is that sort of romance where one loves the other, but only at the point of an emotional precipice where the other could see that they shared that feeling and embrace it. I liked this.

Palpatine-Sidious – Count Dooku-Darth Tyrannus / Ian McDiarmid – Christopher Lee -- Wow. Ok, read no spoilers about all of this. I remember thinking that Lucas could be soft in the head for trying to fool the audience into thinking Palpatine isn’t Sidious. I mean we can see that in the credits. What the hell? Right? See that is so like a self-centered audience. To sit there and think they are the center of the universe. The Palpatine-Sidious thing from the first film… The trade dispute… All of it not only makes sense with this film, but the way it unfolds. As you see the point of the various guises and names… How Yoda and Windu sense no ‘disturbance’ around Palpatine… There are reasons for these things… Just because you don’t know them yet, doesn’t mean Lucas doesn’t know what he’s doing… Upon seeing this film, seeing how he handles these two characters being 4 characters… It is genius. Compelling Machiavellian positioning and deception. There are points in this film where I wanted to scream at the screen and say, "Palpatine is an evil Sith Lord! They’re conspiring to destroy the Republic from within!" That’s when Christopher Lee essentially tells Obi Wan the same thing… My god. The evil. The evil of using the truth, knowing it could only be interpreted as being a deception and a lie. The Devil uses truth to betray mankind, because he is expected to lie… and the truth sounds better, but will never be believed. Just wait till you see how the Death Star plays into this… You’ll friggin die! FANTASTIC.

Yoda-Dooku fight… HOLY GOD! Right now there is a lot of speculation about Yoda with lightning. It is on one of the soundtrack covers. When you look at that. When people described the ball of lightning in Yoda’s hands from ShoWest, I thought they were insane. I thought only the bad guys did that. When I saw the film, well… I can tell you exactly how that moment plays out. So far as I have seen that hasn’t leaked and it isn’t a huge spoiler. When Yoda and Dooku first set up to go at it, Dooku hurls lightning at Yoda… Yes, Chris Lee’s character is that strong. Perhaps the strongest character with the force I have ever seen in Star Wars history. He attacks Yoda with lightning, Yoda captures it, twirls it around, balls it up and redirects it back at Lee. When I saw this, I screamed like a little girl. I mean it was like Uncle Tony grabbed my pantied ***. I jumped about 12 feet up in the air and squealed. WHAT A THRILL! The Yoda – Dooku fight is astonishing. I can not emphasize that enough. I have been thinking for quite some time that there was no way on earth that Yoda with a light saber could look cool. Folks, not only does it look cool, but there will be a collective scream of HOLY **** when what happens happens. Yoda’s fighting style is… well let’s just say he could kick all your asses. Oh and by the way, Williams’ DUEL OF THE FATES was nothing in comparison to this. Remember Vader vs Luke in EMPIRE… How overwhelmingly powerful Vader felt in comparison to Luke. Remember how weak Vader felt in comparison to the Emperor? Now imagine someone with The emperor’s powers in a full on battle with a master. Here towers of metal are torn asunder with the power of the force. The ceiling ripped apart. Seemingly unlimited strength with the force. You will quiver, shake and scream. You are warned.

You have to understand something in going into this film. What you have seen in Star Wars movies before were skirmishes… incidents… Remember, The Battle of Hoth was small, a minor hiccup. In ATTACK OF THE CLONES, you have the first REAL Star War. It isn’t a space battle, but you understand the scale of things. The size and scope of a MAJOR OFFENSIVE. And unlike in PHANTOM MENACE, where Lucas decided to cut up the action by trying to intercut three consecutive arenas of battle, here he portrays the action linearly… basically following Obi Wan and Anakin and Padme… who all basically stick together, with Padme taking a roll in some sand to miss out on the Dooku battle.

After the film was finished playing I was just beside myself with glee.

Right now it is a very interesting time for Star Wars fandom. PHANTOM MENACE polarized the audience into the faithful and those that felt it had all gone wrong. That everything was doomed. With the introduction of MATRIX and LORD OF THE RINGS into fan circles, there began to be a real angry mix. Fights, screamings and hurling of ‘love it or leave it’ style rhetoric.

Watching the trailers for STAR WARS: ATTACK OF THE CLONES in theaters, the audiences seemed muted in comparison to the delightful screams of approval from the SPIDER-MAN trailers.

You know those guys that have been camping up in Portland? The experience they are going to have in the theater upon that first showing… They will be so completely happy.

Now the cut I saw was still a bit rough around the edges, but folks… I can’t wait to see this on the big screen complete. To see what gets cut, what gets changed, what I notice when watching this movie the way Lucas meant for people to see it.

The source(s) that showed it to me were tired of all my LORD OF THE RINGS stuff. They were tired of all the rhetoric about Tolkien, all the focus I had on LORD OF THE RINGS. They wanted someone outside of the ranch, outside of the ‘circle’, someone that seemed to be straying from the fold to see what it was that Lucas had done. What Lucas has done, is to make a film that is so relentlessly entertaining and thrilling, that there will be no movie this summer that can stand against it. This is it.

This movie is the real deal. It is smart, beautiful (god digital photography is the glory and the future of the world of film, the palette is strikingly dramatically colorful), thrilling and electrical. Essentially it is a pure action adventure science fiction fantasy with a touch of romance. Line up now. This Star Wars is for real.

P.s. To the talkbacker concerned about Jimmy Smits... He doesn't really do anything major in this film. He is next to Palpatine though right before that amazing shot of all the Clone Troopers and those Star Destroyer things... So he's close to Palpatine, but I bet he betrays Palp in the next one (speculation) Oh, I'm off to Los Angeles, so I won't be doing talk back looking on this to answer questions, but if you come to the book signing at BOOK SOUP Tuesday at 7pm, I'll answer all NON-SPOILER QUESTIONS about Episode 2. In fact, I'll even do imitations of scenes and looks on faces. I'm so jazzed about this movie now! Can't wait to share, but not spoil!!! The gods of spies have looked out for me on this one.... That sacrificial Power Puff doll was worth it!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Obi-Don
03-18-2002, 04:34 AM
Wow JarJar. Is this for real and if it is I can't wait til may. Thanks for the report.

LTBasker
03-18-2002, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
"Hayden Christensen plays Anakin absolutlely correct."

This is what makes me doubtful about the authenticity of it... :p

derek
03-18-2002, 09:03 AM
so is he saying sideous is a clone of palaptine?

JEDIpartner
03-18-2002, 09:16 AM
Who WOULD have been a better choice? Josh Harnett with a bad dye job?? Bah!

Fulit
03-18-2002, 09:42 AM
Didn't this exact same thing happen last time? Some big story about the new film being leaked and this guy has seen it and the guy turns out to be that monstrosity Harry Knowles? I swear this has happened before.

Rollo Tomassi
03-18-2002, 09:59 AM
Seeing Harry Knowles doing a one man reenactment of AOTC complete with "imitations of scenes and looks on faces" at his next book signing should be....something. That has GOT to be the goofiest looking human being on the planet. Who's hair is naturally that color?
He brings up an interesting point about skirmishes, incidents and hiccups. After seeing the trailer it makes the Hoth and Endor battles look wimpish. Do you think Lucas might add tons of digital troops and more Imperial aircraft and maybe some Alliance ground tanks and stuff to make the Hoth "skirmish" into the truly epic battle it was supposed to be?

By the way, this is the kind of stuff I'll be AVOIDING in 2005.:D Wish me luck.

chewie
03-18-2002, 12:16 PM
Yeah. Harry didn't say anything that wasn't already known. Anybody who reads the episode II spoiler forum could make the same statements he did.

Lucas shouldn't get ****ed at all over this since the entire basic plot of the movie has been known for some time now.

Jargo
03-18-2002, 12:32 PM
Wow...I'm underwhelmed by the depth and detail of Mr. knowles' report. truly a reviewing genius if ever there was one........

Any schmuck could have tossed that review together from scraps thrown out by any of the spoiler sites. Oh I'm reeeeeeally impressed *yawn* :rolleyes: :zzz: :o zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Beast
03-18-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by derek
so is he saying sideous is a clone of palaptine?
I think it's the other way around, that Palpy is the clone. It's something I have believed since E1 came out, since we knew there was clones coming up in a later movie. I just look at it this way, would you be able to train your apprentice (Maul), set everything of your plan into motion, as well as serve on the senate, without burning out from exhaustion? :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Fulit
03-18-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by chewie

Lucas shouldn't get ****ed at all over this since the entire basic plot of the movie has been known for some time now.

Yep, his "good friend" Supershadow has it all over his site and has for some time. :p

Pendo
03-18-2002, 01:31 PM
I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER UNTIL MAY 16!!!!!
I love the review, but I hope Palpatine isn't a clone of Sidious. Well you can't have everything!

TheForce.Net (http://www.theforce.net) have more about the Death Star in Episode II:

As Harry Knowles has hinted at it, thought I'd give you the skinny ... yes, folks, the Death Star is in Episode II in a way ...
Well, the plans are handed over by Poggle the Lesser to Count Dooku as the "ultimate weapon" which Dooku is taking to "his master" (who we know as Sidious) for safe keeping. Screens in the background of the scene show ye olde Death Star plans in all their glory.

Let's hope this is true!

I hope a version of the film will be available for download off the Internet soon, I can't wait any longer. Sounds like Lucase has made up for TPM!

PENDO!

Casual George
03-18-2002, 01:51 PM
Ditto Emperor Jargo!

One can never tell when Mr. Knowles is telling the truth or just trying to reinvigorate interest in his site!

LTBasker
03-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by chewie

Attack of the Clones.

Translation: Attacking clones.

The End. :rolleyes:

derek
03-18-2002, 05:34 PM
yea jar jar, i had it backwards. i guess if this is true, it could explain how yoda could be in palpatines presence and not detect something. but yoda does say that the dark side clouds everything, so i guess we'll have to wait and see if this guy is telling the truth. it seems too corny for me, so i'm not sure about this clone palpatine thing.:confused:

Jedi Clint
03-18-2002, 06:36 PM
Palpatine-Sidious – Count Dooku-Darth Tyrannus / Ian McDiarmid – Christopher Lee -- Wow. Ok, read no spoilers about all of this. I remember thinking that Lucas could be soft in the head for trying to fool the audience into thinking Palpatine isn’t Sidious. I mean we can see that in the credits. What the hell? Right? See that is so like a self-centered audience. To sit there and think they are the center of the universe. The Palpatine-Sidious thing from the first film… The trade dispute… All of it not only makes sense with this film, but the way it unfolds. As you see the point of the various guises and names… How Yoda and Windu sense no ‘disturbance’ around Palpatine… There are reasons for these things… Just because you don’t know them yet, doesn’t mean Lucas doesn’t know what he’s doing… Upon seeing this film, seeing how he handles these two characters being 4 characters… It is genius.

I saw nothing in that segment to indicate that Palpatine/Sidous had himself cloned.

Turbowars
03-18-2002, 07:31 PM
Don't quote me, but this morning on GOOD DAY LA in CA (I think it airs nationaly , not sure) they reported an entertainment writer got hold of a copy of EP2. He said that for a rough copy, it was good and that JarJar Binks is only in it for two minutes. They also report that Lucus is very upset about the copy getting out. Take it or leave it, that's what I heard. Comments anyone?

Jargo
03-18-2002, 07:44 PM
I think you're a little late.....

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4968

Beast
03-18-2002, 07:45 PM
Yeah, they are probably talking about the copy that the guy from AICN reviewed. I'm wondering how long it will be before he's told to pull down that review, even though it was glowing. That's why I re-posted it in the forums, since I figured it would be gone by now. But, I'm not surprised to hear that Lucas/Lucasfilm is cheesed, I would be too if there was an unfinished cut of a movie I made floating around.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
03-18-2002, 07:58 PM
This whole "rough copy" stuff seems a bit shady, no?

And his little blurb at the end, about all his interest in LOTR and the lack of publicity surrounding Star Wars seems a bit forced.

All I can say is that there is something about this that doesn't seem quit....mmmm....kosher. Maybe a little cloak and dagger type of stuff on the part of Lucasfilm? There seemed to be a real lack of substance in that article, and it being more of just a reaffirmation of what is known.

I personally don't condone movie critics of any kind, either. Anybody whose job is to watch movies and critique them isn't contributing to society in my opinion. I've never seen a movie on the advice of a critic.

chewie
03-18-2002, 08:12 PM
Harry didn't say anything about Palpatine being cloned.

A true sith lord like Palpatine can hide himself amongst the jedi simply because he is that powerful.

Jargo
03-18-2002, 08:45 PM
If Dooku is as powerful as the trailers and spy reports say he is. Able to defeat two strong Jedi quite easily, then Palpatine must be stronger and more able. Able enough to use the dark side to mask himself and his true darkness from Yoda and mace. Actually, i haven't seen anything in mace to suggest a reason why he's head jedi yet. He's good at stating the obvious that's for sure but head jedi why? Swinging a saber around? A padawan like Anakin can do that so that can't be a reason. Boy scout badge collecting - he has an arm full of achievement badges and so gets to sit in the head jedi chair? What has he done to get that distinction? :confused:

There is no clone of Palpatine or clone of Sidious. People are looking for clones everywhere and there are none other than the clones of jango. Why confuse the issue by using more clones? It makes no plot sense whatsoever. It doesn't advance the story merely hinders it if there are other clones wandering around. Clone of Palpatine my backside! :crazed:

JediTricks
03-18-2002, 11:29 PM
I think this is probably an E2 spoiler issue, so I'm moving it to the appropriate section.

Jedi Clint
03-18-2002, 11:39 PM
I thought this might end up over here :) Since we already have one going, I will combine them.

2-1B
03-19-2002, 01:18 AM
How can you draw a "clone of Palpatine" reference out of that 'review' by Harry ?
He suggests that Obi-Wan can't believe Palpatine is a Sith because Dooku should naturally be a liar. The only thing more dangerous than lies are lies mixed with the truth. I'll be disappointed if they do pull out a clone of Palps from someone's pocket. Oh well . . .

And I hope Harry doesn't ever decide to defecate on his 12 inch vintage Fett. What a horrible reference :mad:

LTBasker
03-19-2002, 05:39 AM
Eh, I'm skeptical as always about this, sounds like a buncha crud to me. On the whole Palpy/Sid thing, I think it's a little too simple minded to take the credits thing as a reference to that, I mean too many people have played 2+ characters in the same movie, doesn't mean they're the same person. :rolleyes:

On the review, I didn't read all of it, I just couldn't stomach it, ya know if you cut out all the parts where he ACTUALLY talks about the film, I'm sure half (or more) of the whole thing would be gone. :p

Pendo
03-19-2002, 12:15 PM
LucasFilm have commented on the leak...

Lucasfilm spokeswoman Lynn Hale said, "We don't know how he could have gotten a copy of it, but we're glad he liked the film."
Fox declined to comment.

It is surprising that "Clones" would be leaked in such a calculated way to anyone. Then again, Knowles, never the shy critic, has been credited in the past for influencing Internet masses to flock to pics through positive reviews.

And with "Clones" trailers being overpowered by campaigns for "Spider-Man" and even "Scooby-Doo" as well as continuing buzz for "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings," Lucasfilm is trying to steal back some of the thunder back for its franchise.

"The sources that showed it to me were tired of all the rhetoric about Tolkien, all the focus I had on 'Lord of the Rings,'" Knowles wrote.

"They wanted someone outside of the ranch, outside of the 'circle,' someone that seemed to be straying from the fold to see what it was that Lucas had done."

Click here (http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/19/clones.reut/index.html) for more.

PENDO!

pthfnder89
03-19-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Eh, I'm skeptical as always about this, sounds like a buncha crud to me. On the whole Palpy/Sid thing, I think it's a little too simple minded to take the credits thing as a reference to that, I mean too many people have played 2+ characters in the same movie, doesn't mean they're the same person. :rolleyes:

On the review, I didn't read all of it, I just couldn't stomach it, ya know if you cut out all the parts where he ACTUALLY talks about the film, I'm sure half (or more) of the whole thing would be gone. :p

I don't know. I won't even venture a guess on whether or not Lucasfilm leaked it on purpose, but it seems like if Knowles was lying, they would have denied that any print had gotten out.

Jargo
03-19-2002, 02:55 PM
Why deny it if he gave such a glowing review? Lucasfilm would be better to ride on it rather than kick up a storm about a maybe bogus claim. Plenty of time for recriminations and investigations once the ticket sales returns start rolling in.

Can't say that anyone influences me to go see or to not go see any movie. Certainly not a punk like harry Knowles. I make up my own mind on everything. Hells bells I even buy my own underwear which proves I'm a free thinking individual reliant on no-one!!!!!

Influential my arse! :rolleyes:

Wolfwood319
03-19-2002, 03:40 PM
"They don't know how a copy got out, but they're glad he liked it...."

Sounds like this was Lucasfilm all along, trying to get back some of that thunder that LOTR, Spider-man, and the rest have stolen. We all know how media hungry they are over at ''the Ranch." If not GL himself, then Rick McCallum. Lucasfilm has always been ironclad about security, so I doubt a copy could just "get out."

"Hells Bells...." I could go for some AC/DC right now....

Rollo Tomassi
03-20-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Can't say that anyone influences me to go see or to not go see any movie. Certainly not a punk like harry Knowles. I make up my own mind on everything. Hells bells I even buy my own underwear which proves I'm a free thinking individual reliant on no-one!!!!!

Influential my arse! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't listen to anyone's opinion of a movie who spent more time in the bathroom masturbating than he did showering.:eek:

Dar' Argol
04-02-2002, 11:00 PM
My boss sent this to me and I though I'd pass it on. Its a little long and I have not read the whole thing yet but . . . .

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=11796

Who knows if this is true or not, but it does wet the appitite doesn't it. It will be interesting to see how much of the "spoiler" stuff is actually true come 5/16

Lord Malakite
04-02-2002, 11:09 PM
Based on what he has said, yes its true. You can also see this guy in person on the video commentary from one the Evil Dead series DVDs. If JarJar was here, he could probably tell you which DVD he appears on exactly.

Wolfwood319
04-02-2002, 11:12 PM
Knowels appears on the short documentary "Fanalysis" by Bruce Campbell. That documentary appears on the new Evil Dead: Book of the Dead edition.

There is already a thread about his review somewhere else, just FYI.

gibbyhayes
04-02-2002, 11:13 PM
See, I'm very new here so I thought you all had read this by now. This reviewer is no hack, and is actally quite respected in Hollywood (he has the power to ruin movies!).

Lord Tenebrous
04-02-2002, 11:14 PM
Harry defaced the Requiem for a Dream DVD, with an essay that can only be described as a poorly written rant by a 300 pound humanoid hampster. :(

If we ignore him he will go away...go far far far away.

Battle Droid
04-02-2002, 11:16 PM
Knowels was on either Entertainment Tonight or Access Hollywood, I forget which one it was, talking about his viewing of AOTC also.

And also on CNN I believe.

SithDroid
04-02-2002, 11:24 PM
What are you talking about? Do you mean Bruce Campbell? Sam Raimi? Is one of them the one who posted that? I didn't read it all because I already know MORE than I already want to know about the film. I like surprises, so I try not to read things that will ruin the experience for me.

Dar' Argol
04-02-2002, 11:36 PM
You know, I feel like a complete arse. I really need to do more research b/4 posting a new thread. I did not realize this was already posted. I just checked my email today and it was there. Sorry for the redundency guys.

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 12:54 AM
I'd like to help you Sithdroid, but I have no idea what you're asking. Harry Knowels, a Hollywood columnist who runs the site Aintitcoolnews.com somehow got a sneak preview of AOTC. He wrote a review for it and its on his site.

Harry Knowels also appears in Bruce Campbell's short documentary "Fanalysis." Harry Knowels comments on fans and whatnot. "Fanalysis" is an extra on the new Evil Dead: Book of the Dead DVD.

NesteaFett
04-04-2002, 01:08 AM
Just curious, but if a copy has been linked wouldn't it be possible to find it. It's a new world with the internet and all. I just think it would be cool to find it.

2-1B
01-21-2008, 09:07 PM
You know, I feel like a complete arse. I really need to do more research b/4 posting a new thread. I did not realize this was already posted. I just checked my email today and it was there. Sorry for the redundency guys.

That's okay, we can just have the two threads merged.

2-1B
05-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Can we get these merged, please?

Deoxyribonucleic
05-05-2008, 12:44 AM
forget merging, now I know the ending of AOTC, how can I watch it for the first time and be pleasantly surprised. I hate you guys :mad:

DarthQuack
05-05-2008, 10:30 AM
I hate spoilers, so don't tell me anything.

bobafrett
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I hate it when chicken spoils in my refrigerator.

JediTricks
05-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Why are you doing this to me?