PDA

View Full Version : EPISODE I line... final thoughts?

JEDIpartner
03-18-2002, 01:30 PM
I figured I would start a thread on this since we are going to be getting the AOTC toys soon. It is quite obvious that the new posts here are dwindling as we get farther away from that film and closer to the next. I was wondering what everyone was feeling about the line as a whole... not as individual figures or products.

I, for one, saw a vast improvement on many of the POTF2 ideas. The sculpts were a little more accurate and the accessories were as well. We didn't get too many "inappropriate" scuplts of characters other than a dearth of too many Obi-Wans, Qui-Gons and Darth Mauls.

The vehicles were on par with what we had seen in the POTF2 line. There were no grand surprises there. The playsets took one slightly huge leap forward and backward with the Royal Starship. I was glad that they viewed this as a playset and not as part of the vehicles line. This playset was amazing in comparison to the Theed hangar and whatnot sets. Those were horrid. The only problem with the Royal Starship was its original price point. I think it kept a lot of people away from it due to the $119 tag.

The beasts, while very good in some cases, signalled a new trend in Hasbro's marketing strategy- exclusives and terminal short packing. Sure... there was an abundance of Opees, but what about the rest of the line? Pretty scarce!!!

All in all... the line wasn't bad. We had to endure the overstocking of merchandise at the onset only to find retailers weren't as willing or able to pick-up later waves of figures due to the pegwarmers. All of this, though, did help pave the way for the acclaimed POTJ line. I am quite happy with what I was able to collect from Episode I and am looking forward to what is to come (aside from some of those poses!!!! :crazed: )

JetsAndHeels
03-18-2002, 02:29 PM
I am like you JediPartnr. I am overall pretty happy with what we saw with the EP1 line. The sculpts were good and the overall job Hasbro did was good.
We did see WAY too many Darth Mauls, Obi-Wans, and Qui-Gons though. It seemed like everyone was jumping on that Maul bandwagon when they first came out, making his Jedi duel figure a hot commodity in the early months.
The vehicles were good too. I love the Royal Starship and the Naboo fighter, just because they are so sleek and attractive.
I also liked most of the 12 inch line, especially Obi Wan and Darth Maul. They look real good on a bookshelf or on a table.
Overall I am happy with the EP1 line that we saw. Hope to see even more good stuff in the future.

Darth Evil
03-18-2002, 03:10 PM
I feel the same, the line was quite good. I liked the Commtech Chips, they made nice stands, though most disliked them. I never found much past the first few waves, so I have few figures from this line.

billfremore
03-18-2002, 03:41 PM
Gotta agree with both of you.

My only complaint was not being able to find any AAT's.
That would have been a nice addition to the collection.

SithDroid
03-18-2002, 05:23 PM
I thought the line was alright.

Some of the paint detail was a little less than great though. A few that stand out in my head are Obi-Wan Jedi Duel, Darth Maul Tatooine, Darth Maul Jedi Duel face paint variations, etc...

Overall they were quite good though. Would have liked to have seen the later waves in more abundance.

Sith Lord 0498
03-19-2002, 08:55 AM
I think Hasbro started to get on the right track with the Episode I line. Most of the earlier POTF figures had terrible sculpts. Some that come to mind are the Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Han Solo, and Lando Calrissian sculpts. All of them are way too bulked-up. They really do look more like He-Man than Star Wars. At least with Leia, they made improvements. And there were some excellent sculpts (Boba Fett, etc).

But Episode I had, for the most part, excellent sculpts from the beginning. The detail on Darth Maul and Senator Palpatine is astonishing, and later figures like the Neimodians and Queen Amidala had much better paint jobs and detail. They also reflected a trend in putting the figures in the right proportion (no more "He-Man" sculpts). Thankfully, they carried this over into the POTJ line and gave us some of the best figures in that line.

As far as the remaining Episode I merchandise. It was a mixed bag. The beast assortments were poor attempts to capitalize on the hype. What made it worse was the inclusion of figures with them. I know that it would be very impractical to make everything to scale, but it was like they were trying to emphasize this by sticking a figure right next to the beasts. It's like "Hey! We made an opee the same size as Qui-Gon!!"

The vehicles were predominantly better because they also showed an attempt to add more detail to the line. As for the lightsabers, I can only comment on the Darth Maul saber because I didn't buy the others (I can kick myself for not grabbing that very rare Obi-Wan saber when I saw one at K-Mart!!!). Compared to earlier sabers like Vader's and Skywalker's, the plastic blades were much more durable. Here's to hoping they continue that with the AOTC sabers.

In all, the Episode I line was the beginning of an excellent trend from Hasbro at creating figures truer to the characters. Easier to stand, more believable bodies, and amazing detail. It's just too bad Hasbro seems to be leaning back toward the He-Man body sculpt style and difficult poses with their AOTC line.

Jayspawn
03-19-2002, 11:29 AM
I hear ya JEDIpartnr! We saw great improvements in sculpting, design and detail. I believe the only major downfall of this line was the final waves which were major shortpacked. And that I think is still a thing now with collectors struggling to fill some holes in their collection.

fourtwo
03-19-2002, 03:33 PM
fun toys from a fun movie. i'd say that line got me in to collecting more. i had a few things before ep I, but after i saw it on the hugest screen possible i was hooked. i loved phantom menace, i don't care what anyone thinks. i even liked gungans :)

billfremore
03-19-2002, 04:36 PM
gotta go with fourtwo.

I loved the movie too, and I'll take gungans over ewoks anyday!

Jon
03-19-2002, 07:49 PM
I didn't love The Phantom Menace, but I don't hate it. I look at it as a 2 hour prologue to the real thing...you gotta show how everyone got together in the first place right? As for the line I thought it was excellent, however impossible, absolutely impossible to get any figures beyond the qui-gon naboo line. we here in Michigan did not ever see a single r2-b1 or sio bibble or watto's box. one day i'll dish out the money on ebay or something, but for quality it was very good

Mandalorian Candidat
03-20-2002, 04:39 PM
Good thread JP! I really liked the EP1 line. We had some good variations to hunt for (multiple BDs, EP1 carded Yoda) and not an extreme amount of variations. A lot of the HTF stuff at the end of the line was finally "rereleased" thanks to TRU (but I suspect much of the stock went to scalpers). The CT system was a good effort on Hasbro's part and even though some of the lines were goofy and the sound wasn't right on, I thought they were a great idea. I wish they could have continued with POTJ instead of those worthless force files.

The sculpts were good, we got decent accessories, the pack-in chip...yeah it was a good line.

My only regret was not getting a lot of the robed figures with cloth garments so they could be more poseable. The soft goods wave was a nice touch but I wish they would have been released sooner. I hope Hasbro takes a cue from this and makes cloth-robed figures like the ROTJ line in the future.

The two early playsets were comical, while the hugely overprice ship was neat for those who could get them at a low price. The return of speeders was nice as was the AAT. We even got some EU stuff in the invasion force, in the same vein as the vintage mini-rig line.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this was the best line figure-wise in comparison POTF2 and POTJ, except for the CT POTF2 figures.

I hope the AOTC line picks up where this one left off...

JEDIpartner
03-23-2002, 03:12 PM
The thing that, I think, Hasbro has forgotten in the AOTC line is that these are toys. Many of the poses don't lend themselves to the "toy" market. I do think some of the features are fun, if not a little odd looking: Jango's flame thrower, Mace's force push... Those are toy gimmicks... and for the most part... those sculpts didn't suffer except for the large holes they had to leave in their arms to accomodate the "weapon".

Collectibles or not... this line started off as toys and should end as toys. The E1 line was perfect in the marriage of the two ends of the collecting spectrum!

Rollo Tomassi
03-26-2002, 09:51 AM
I bid a fond farewell to the Episode 1 toy line, with a caveat that a backdoor remains open for those little darlings I am still missing...you know who you are, Sio, TC, R2-B1, Naboo guy, Padme, Pit Droids. You are elusive and wiley, but you will be mine. You will be mine.

Adieu, Le Fantome Menace! Adieu!

fourtwo
03-26-2002, 02:56 PM
i agree, i'm still looking for what i still want/need.
the pit droids were hard to find? i just got them receently, loose but complete for like 2 bucks with several other pitdroids and two pod racers. did i "score"?

Darth Evil
03-26-2002, 03:43 PM
Rollo, are you referring to the Padme of the first wave? There's a shop near me that only has her! Sometime, I'm gonna destroy them all, I'm sick of seeing her!!!

billfremore
03-26-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
I bid a fond farewell to the Episode 1 toy line, with a caveat that a backdoor remains open for those little darlings I am still missing...you know who you are, Sio, TC, R2-B1, Naboo guy, Padme, Pit Droids. You are elusive and wiley, but you will be mine. You will be mine.

Yup, those pit droids were hard to find, but I managed to find them at a local comic shop.

They look perfect splattered on the front of Sebulba's podracer like a couple of bugs. :)

JEDIpartner
03-28-2002, 10:04 AM
Ooh! That sounds a little disturbing. But funny, nevertheless!! :D

billfremore
03-28-2002, 11:18 AM
It just seemed like the perfect place to put them. :)

steve3p0
04-06-2002, 03:43 PM
i liked the episode one line.

i was born in 1979 and loved star wars as a kid. the new movie brought back my interest and the new line of toys gave me a reason to rediscover my old toys and begin collecting star wars toys all over again.

i will most remember the yoda figure. how could it have been printed without the EPISODE I on front ? when first released it sold for $80 on ebay and in less than a year could be found all over for $2.

Sith Vicious
04-06-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Darth Evil
Rollo, are you referring to the Padme of the first wave? There's a shop near me that only has her! Sometime, I'm gonna destroy them all, I'm sick of seeing her!!!

He probably means the one with the ascension gun and cloth skirt which was pretty hard to find. I agree with most of what's been said here. There were too many resculpts of the main characters in too short a time. Many of the characters should've been soft goods to begin with like Ric Ollie. I never could fit him in the Naboo fighter. What was the point of the soft goods Maul if they weren't going to do the Sith Infiltrator? My local TRUs still have racks of Tatooine Darth Mauls sitting there for $1.97. Hasbros policy of keeping the main characters in shipping rotation for the kids is such a load of crap. If they're really doing it for the kids, then keep shipping the same version. Also the later waves were way too hard to find. I ended up paying $15 - $20 bucks for many of the figures that were released towards the end of the line.

JEDIpartner
04-08-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Sith Vicious
There were too many resculpts of the main characters in too short a time.

If that's a problem for you with the Episode I line... how do you feel about the 6 Jangos and 2 Zams and 2 Anakins and 2 Obi-Wans we are getting pretty much off the bat with the AOTC/Saga line???

Sith Vicious
04-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr

If that's a problem for you with the Episode I line... how do you feel about the 6 Jangos and 2 Zams and 2 Anakins and 2 Obi-Wans we are getting pretty much off the bat with the AOTC/Saga line???

I'm not happy at all, but I'm going to try and skip most of the AOTC line. However, I said the same thing about TPM stuff and eventually broke down and bought a lot of it. I could be fooling myself this time also, but I find many of the AOTC stuff unappealing. The Anakin with 2 lightsabers looks cool, but the one with the lightsaber arm doesn't, so I'm probably only buying the one I like. With the original trilogy, even the main figures only had one or two versions per movie, and I think that timeframe should be much closer to what hasbro should be using to crank out new versions than the rate they're going at now.

187-Maul
04-08-2002, 12:45 PM
6 jangos ?

Jedi_Rainman
04-13-2002, 05:39 AM
Better than previous lines. AOTC will make E1 look bad. It always works that way. The newer the better!

Turbowars
04-14-2002, 12:06 PM
I thought E1 cards looked bad (Hated the red) and didn't start collecting them until TRU had them for 1.97ea. Then I got hooked and now the E1 collection is complete and I'm ready for E2 figure to go on sale or 1.97 LOL

brentfett
04-16-2002, 01:48 PM
Overall, I was pretty pleased with the line. My two big gripes were the shameless re-sculpts and the incredibly low availability of the last waves of figures.

sunblind
04-17-2002, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I would have to say that I wished they made more of the Cinema sences and more of the ATT's

Mountaineer Jedi
04-17-2002, 11:07 PM
I really enjoyed the EP1 figures. My only problem was the horrible paint/plastic smell that lingered for several days after the figures were opened. My hope is the EP2 figures will be a little less toxic.:D